Sideways

6.7

1. Apr 5, 2016
    If you need lots of action, you shouldn't watch this movie.

If you want to see a real, believable human story, then maybe you should. I imagine if you like "Better Call Saul", where each scene is simply bursting with non-verbal communication and subtext, you'll like this movie. Or vice versa.
  2. Feb 25, 2016
    Some people don't know real comedy when they actually see one lying just right there on their faces. Don't get away with giving this a negative rating, users. I know this is actually the best comedy I've ever seen in 2004.
  3. Jun 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The way I see Miles and Jack is as Sideways in their own lives. At a point where it's kind of a midlife crisis, but they're both at completely different relationship places, with an impending wedding and a semi-recent divorce. Their story is told in such a way that they both seem pretty screwed up. This is Payne's way – telling the most screwed-up story possible with it still being funny and he definitely succeeds once again this time around.

One of the most striking relationships to me was that of Miles and his mother. He only went to visit her to steal her money and she was more interested in his washed-out actor friend than her own son. Mutual disinterest? Anyway, Miles seems to use wine as a crutch in his friendships, his relationships, and he's so obsessed that this is the way Payne shows the humor. Jack's humorous side is the constant desire to ruin the real relationship in his life by multiple different affairs right before his wedding. They're screwed up and we all know it. Miles's "relationship" with Maya is so odd because neither of them is straightforward to talk about anything other than wine, yet they both want it. This transpires throughout.
    Miles is so into his wine, that we kind of see this parallel between life and wine (or Pinot) because there is a peak, a certain complexity to each bottle, and an eventual decline. It reminds me of Miles's life, but everyone else's as well. There's really only one thing that Miles wants other than Pinot. That's to get published. But it ends up that it doesn't work out and "The world doesn't give a **** what I have to say. I'm unnecessary." Same. And what else should we expect with Alexander Payne – everything that can go wrong will go wrong. Stephanie finds out about the wedding, Jack gets his face busted up, Miles has a mental breakdown. They're just trying to survive and get their consolation prizes. A wedding (built on lies) and a call from Maya, yet the ending is uncertain, just like the end of his book.

I think Sideways was impeccably executed, the cinematography was gaudy and accurate, and the characters were unique and intriguing. As always, intelligently funny & exactly my sense of humor.
  4. Mar 29, 2014
    One of my all time favorite movies, and for some people on here to say it was the worst movie ever, watch Lost in space, or the Black Hole. People are so ridiculous. Sideways is a classic.
  5. Nov 16, 2013
    The central quartet is fantastic to behold, and this remains one of Alexander Payne's best films. It's a fantastic piece of work aided by an engaging and bittersweet script.
  6. Jun 8, 2013
    A special film, the kind that stays with you days after watching it. The word that comes to mind when I think about this movie is, rich. Each scene is so perfectly constructed and full of so much heart and soul; the characters are fully realized, well developed, and perfectly portrayed by an amazing cast. Payne's direction is brilliant, this is easily his best film he's ever done. And theA special film, the kind that stays with you days after watching it. The word that comes to mind when I think about this movie is, rich. Each scene is so perfectly constructed and full of so much heart and soul; the characters are fully realized, well developed, and perfectly portrayed by an amazing cast. Payne's direction is brilliant, this is easily his best film he's ever done. And the script is fun, charming, interesting, real, and resonant. Expand
  7. Feb 17, 2013
    A movie that does not underestimate the public, like most of the comedies nowadays. A lot of its drama is undisclosed, but perfectly understood, thanks to the flawless performances of Giamatti and Church. Payne's view of marriage, friendship and life is fascinating. The direction is outstanding: it allow us to enter the story in so many layers that we feel on a road trip, drinking wine. AA movie that does not underestimate the public, like most of the comedies nowadays. A lot of its drama is undisclosed, but perfectly understood, thanks to the flawless performances of Giamatti and Church. Payne's view of marriage, friendship and life is fascinating. The direction is outstanding: it allow us to enter the story in so many layers that we feel on a road trip, drinking wine. A real masterpiece. Expand
  8. Jan 5, 2013
    "Sideways" is a insightful movie about friendship, love, a lot drinking, bad habits and moral weaknesses of man. However it leaves delight after seeing, and chaotic adventure of main characters breathes in us hope that life is much more pleasent that it sounds.
  9. Nov 18, 2012
    Payne directs the film so meticulously that you can't help but be intrigued by what he's showing you. He and Giamatti create and character with vast depth and sneakily subtle idiosyncrasies.
  10. Jun 10, 2012
    I love the acting in this movie, i also like the drama and it has comedy too, that is great, i do not get why people doesnt like it much its of my favorite ones
  11. Jun 10, 2012
    I really like Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church, I think Thomas should won that oscar this movie is really entertaining, pretty good in my opinion, i specially liked it by the acting but still good
  12. May 8, 2012
    Sideways makes you believe that the story written by Alexander Payne is true. It is fresh, smart and as sophisticated as a good, old wine. All four actors are full of emotions, especially Paul Giamatti gives an unforgettable performance.
  13. Dec 28, 2011
    Giamatti's character's dimensions are written with such care that it makes him tangible and engaging. He's both fragile and explosive. When set against Haden Church's aging jock it creates a great story with a Laurel & Hardy quality to it. What I liked though is that looks at love were highly imperfect but still had real consequences. Jennifer Aniston is not in this film. The actorsGiamatti's character's dimensions are written with such care that it makes him tangible and engaging. He's both fragile and explosive. When set against Haden Church's aging jock it creates a great story with a Laurel & Hardy quality to it. What I liked though is that looks at love were highly imperfect but still had real consequences. Jennifer Aniston is not in this film. The actors are believable. I was able to want to believe them, right or wrong, for better or worse. Expand
  14. Aug 29, 2011
    Mastering the tonal shifts of life with a look at the problems one can face, both serious and trivial, Sideways comes around as simply excellent. It can have scenes of high humor, scenes of sad despair, and scenes to marvel at just how something managed to end up the way it is, and the director and cast can handle the shifts between these in a way that feels so natural it's almost frightening.
  15. May 10, 2011
    This movie is phenomenal. It's humor is incredibly consistent and contains a performance from Paul Giamatti that won't be topped for ages. I loved this movie and would recommend it to anyone
  16. Feb 7, 2011
    Absolute perfection - a film in which ever detail is tuned beautifully, but not overdone. The cinematography, the music, the story, the set pieces, the realism, the WINE, the humour, the dialogue... and above all else the finest character performance I've seen from a consistently great character actor, Paul Giamatti. He captures Miles with precision - reading the novel, which is narratedAbsolute perfection - a film in which ever detail is tuned beautifully, but not overdone. The cinematography, the music, the story, the set pieces, the realism, the WINE, the humour, the dialogue... and above all else the finest character performance I've seen from a consistently great character actor, Paul Giamatti. He captures Miles with precision - reading the novel, which is narrated by Miles, you obviously gain great insight into his character, but with every twitch, half-smile, lame comment, heartbreaking expression, he truly becomes Pickett's character, and brings him to life like no other could. Haden Church as Jack is a fantastic antithesis to Miles, and gives the surprise performance of the century, and Madsen offers a strong but scarred woman, who ultimately breathes life into Miles' body. I'm only really talking about performances here, but really, you have to see this movie yourself. For some fantastic camera work look out for the scene in Los Olivos, with a drunken Miles on the phone to his ex-wife, for a beautiful piece of music from Rolfe Kent, listen out for the scene at Mrs Raymond's, where Miles is looked down upon by his family (metaphorically, of course - they are in photographs), and for the best example of just how strong Giamatti is here, watch his stomach turn as Victoria gives him the news after the wedding. He painfully holds onto a smile, and we can see in his hurt, tormented eyes that he just wants to let go. Movie magic until the last second, and after that. Mature filmmaking at its best - as 'Jimmy' says, "an instant classic... an honest film and as real as a movie can be." Couldn't have put it better myself. Expand
  17. Jan 16, 2011
    This is in my top 20 movies of the last decade. It has an amazing script, and no less than three terrific performances by Paul Giamatti (one of the worst snubs in Oscar history) Thomas Hadden Church, and Virginia Madsen. It's very funny, entertaining, and made wine country a fascinating topic for someone like me who had no interest on the subject. It's purely about life and the choices we make.
  18. Nov 28, 2010
    Best quotidian movie in the last 20 years, wonderful plot, nice acting Giamatti's performance its sublime.
    This movie its not for a general crowd, as wine tour suggest, the movie target's people that loves wine, nature and stereotypes on actual society, for some people to hard to understand the movie's message.
    i watch it 2 times already and there's always something new on the plot ...
  19. Aug 14, 2010
    Although I enjoyed the movie, I'm not sure why the critics fawned over it as much as they did. It's solid, but not spectacular. The characters and plot were entertaining and unique.
  20. NeilF
    Oct 19, 2009
    Life-affirming. Anyone who doesn't get it has a black hole where their heart should be.
  21. JackO
    Oct 10, 2009
    Can't describe how real and awesome this movie is. absolute perfection in every sense of the word.
  22. DaveJ
    Sep 11, 2009
    A good film especially due to the fact that there are not any really big name actors. I wouldn't say that its a comedy though nor should it be in the top 100 films of all time list! Still worth a seeing though!
  23. BrianW
    Apr 3, 2009
    this movie is neither a 10 nor a 0, but I'm giving it a 10 to offset all of you who don't have a clue. It is very entertaining and quite refreshing compared to all the formula crap coming out of Hollywood. All you folks who didn't get it ought to consider staying home to watch something really stimulating, like American Idol.
  24. SImonM
    Jan 11, 2009
    Put it like this - if you are an intelligent, witty and astute person, you will LOVE this. If, however, you are not a very bright person, you will say it's boring and unfunny. Take a look at the negative reviews here and you will notice some terrible spelling, and inarticulate submissions. I think that says it all. For those who didn't enjoy the movie, perhapsMr Bean is more Put it like this - if you are an intelligent, witty and astute person, you will LOVE this. If, however, you are not a very bright person, you will say it's boring and unfunny. Take a look at the negative reviews here and you will notice some terrible spelling, and inarticulate submissions. I think that says it all. For those who didn't enjoy the movie, perhapsMr Bean is more your style?? Expand
  25. TroyP.
    Oct 17, 2008
    This movie is excellent! An amazing script with great acting. It touches on so many real life issues and does so in such a sutly humorous way. I feel that many people will not understand the greatness of this movie, but it is a masterpiece!!!
  26. PlanR
    Jun 25, 2008
    I didn't know much about this movie before seeing it so i didnt really know what to expect... This is one great little movie. This is a buddy- road trip movie that works on many levels. Not that unlike Midnight Run (minus the action) or Y Tu Mama Tambien (minus the subtitles). I've never understood the need to have likable characters in a movie like this, this isn't I didn't know much about this movie before seeing it so i didnt really know what to expect... This is one great little movie. This is a buddy- road trip movie that works on many levels. Not that unlike Midnight Run (minus the action) or Y Tu Mama Tambien (minus the subtitles). I've never understood the need to have likable characters in a movie like this, this isn't Spiderman. All the characters need to be is interesting, and these guys are nothing if not interesting. The humor here is mostly subtle but there are several laugh out loud moments. If you have any sort of attention span and can appereciate a well acted, smart, grown-up script, then this might become one of your favorite movies, it certainly is one of mine. Expand
  27. KennyM.
    Mar 28, 2008
    One of the greatest movies of all time. Alexander Payne is a master of his craft. I don't understand why so many people here didn't find it funny...I thought it was hilarious. Anyway, this film kicks ass. Great script, great shooting, great acting, great directing...everything is perfection. Only American Beauty and a select other few films rate above Sideways in my book.
  28. RagnarJ.
    Mar 3, 2008
    very clever comedy. You see the hopeless lives of two men, succumbing slowly to their own extinction and aspiring to find a new way to lead their lives. May seem sardonic and obnoxious, at times, but they are portraying realistic emotions and case-studies. Fabulous wit and clever as f*ck.
  29. FreddieL.
    Dec 1, 2007
    To begin, this was a delightfully written and acted film. How anyone could not connect and feel for Paul Giametti's character astounds me. It saddens me how egotistical twerps attack this film, rating it badly simply on the grounds that it was rated highly by critics, though a films quality must always be percieved without the presence of a review, in my opinion. Therefore, I am To begin, this was a delightfully written and acted film. How anyone could not connect and feel for Paul Giametti's character astounds me. It saddens me how egotistical twerps attack this film, rating it badly simply on the grounds that it was rated highly by critics, though a films quality must always be percieved without the presence of a review, in my opinion. Therefore, I am slightly surpirsed by those who didnt enjoy the film for what it was; an intimate, warming tale of a man, whose life it seems can only genuinely be related to and understood by those with a conscious, and those who don't take life for granted. In conclusion, Sideways is a truly uplifting film which i recommend highly, regardless of the critics' reviews. Expand
  30. BenW.
    May 23, 2007
    Its totally unfair to complain about this movie. I loved it!!!!! it was just so great all the way through. Im only 16 so i dont know if that has anything tgo do with it but its really fantastic
  31. SvenS.
    May 16, 2007
    One of the best movies I have ever seen...it's so fucking good!!! I don't understand why people dislike this movie... It made me feel very good!! And the humor isn't big like Naked Gun, but it's funny!!!
  32. CraigP.
    Apr 30, 2007
    Extremely funny movie about wine tasting!! Actually it's about alot more than that....wonderful performances as well.
  33. AngusS.
    Apr 11, 2007
    Superb comedy. Excellent characters. So much more to offer than the average 21st Century comedy.
  34. AlexM.
    Feb 11, 2007
    One of the cleverest and funniest films that I have had a pleasure watching. A real delight, how all comedy should be - clever and edgy. All those who did not like this film are obviously lacking in intelligence and sense of humour!
  35. EC
    Nov 5, 2006
    Possibly one of the smartest comedies thus far in this millenium. Anyone who doesn't like this movie is obviously too retarded to understand it.
  36. JamesE.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Fantastic. Alexander Payne is one of the best filmmakers alive.
  37. EricG.
    Aug 27, 2006
    This movie brings out the emotion of the everyman. The ups and the downs of life crashing and rising one day to the next.To understand this movie would take nothing more than knowing the compassion of mankind.
  38. NathanT.
    Aug 12, 2006
    "Sideways" is inarguably the best film of our decade; a classic that can stand up to any great film from any era in cinema. [***SPOILERS***] This is film at its most intoxicating, its most poignant, and funniest. Paul Giamatti was screwed out of even being nominated for Best Actor, while Thomas Hayden Church and Virginia Madsen were justly nominated for their parts, even if they "Sideways" is inarguably the best film of our decade; a classic that can stand up to any great film from any era in cinema. [***SPOILERS***] This is film at its most intoxicating, its most poignant, and funniest. Paul Giamatti was screwed out of even being nominated for Best Actor, while Thomas Hayden Church and Virginia Madsen were justly nominated for their parts, even if they didn't win. The real genius of "Sideways" is that director Alexander Payne creates empathy for two guys that when you think about it, aren't really that sympathetic. Miles (Giamatti) is a grump, and usually drunk on wine from the night before. Jack is an aging sex addict. Not a lot of wiggle room to like these characters. But Payne makes us care and by the end of it they've both been through so many experiences that we can only hope they've learned. And the knock that ends the movie is pure bliss. Raise your glasses and treat yourself to a classic that is guaranteed to age better than "Memento" ever will. This is one that you savor. Expand
  39. MW
    Jul 31, 2006
    I really enjoyed this film. I found my sympathies switching between all the characters sometimes loathing, laughing at or even finding them slightly lovable. The whole film felt so realistic and it was nice to see relationships that aren't sugar coated between beautiful people in the normal hollywood style. I didn't know that films this good and subtle were made outside of the I really enjoyed this film. I found my sympathies switching between all the characters sometimes loathing, laughing at or even finding them slightly lovable. The whole film felt so realistic and it was nice to see relationships that aren't sugar coated between beautiful people in the normal hollywood style. I didn't know that films this good and subtle were made outside of the EU and when I watched it got a buzz to know that not all films from the US have to be big budget, plotless romps. I plan now to see other Payne films and hope that I see more like this coming to the cinema soon. Expand
  40. FelixQ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    It was alright. Brilliantly cast, with fleshed out characters and unique settings- but somehow lacking the final shove that would have made it great for me. I think this one, more than others, will come down greatly to taste. For me, although this is set apart from others in the genre, just doesn't grab the niche and own it. If a movie is going to go for the quirk, then it must do so It was alright. Brilliantly cast, with fleshed out characters and unique settings- but somehow lacking the final shove that would have made it great for me. I think this one, more than others, will come down greatly to taste. For me, although this is set apart from others in the genre, just doesn't grab the niche and own it. If a movie is going to go for the quirk, then it must do so all-in, no apologies and jump. This felt like someone, somewhere was holding back in the production of this film, be it writer, director, actor or producer. But over-all, better than many, if not most, in it's category. Expand
  41. DanielC.
    Jul 11, 2006
    I think a little life experience is needed to fully appreciate this film. Don't expect any explosions or epiphanies just a beautiful and thoughtful trip through life's ups and downs. Very funny too. People giving this film very low scores are Silly.
  42. TonyB.
    May 30, 2006
    i loved this movie i didnt see one thing wrong with it. I dont understand why people cant except realizm in movies this has excellent dialouge it was had some very funny moments i am glad i didnt listen to anybody when they told me this movie was bad, i enjoyed it greatly, deffinatly recommend for a viewing.
  43. IanM.
    May 15, 2006
    Very good movie...but not great. Users giving this film low scores are probably only impressed by cutting edge special effects or a constant stream of pyrotechnics.
  44. RonaldH.
    Apr 14, 2006
    The 94 score on here says it all. If you didn't like it then you didn't get it.
  45. DanielM.
    Feb 26, 2006
    The through and through cinemaphotography, the few moments of very humorous dialogue and facial expressions by the characters, and some intense subtlties and blatant follies make for a nice and amusing film. It may be over-rated indeed, but it attempts to speak to a person who cannot possibly appreciate it if he/she has not quite ammassed 30 years on this earth. P.S. don't read the The through and through cinemaphotography, the few moments of very humorous dialogue and facial expressions by the characters, and some intense subtlties and blatant follies make for a nice and amusing film. It may be over-rated indeed, but it attempts to speak to a person who cannot possibly appreciate it if he/she has not quite ammassed 30 years on this earth. P.S. don't read the "novel" that this film was based on...unless you live in S.B. County there will be nothing for you to recognize or appreciate. Bad stuff. Expand
  46. FrankieA.
    Feb 9, 2006
    Easily one of my favorite movies. It's the only movie nominated for best picture (Oscars 2004) that I would watch again and again. For some, it may seem boring or uninteresting. I'll admit, it's not a movie for everyone, but for me, it was great. Acting, storyline, film techniques, all great. Whatever the movie is, it is not a waste of your time. See this movie.
  47. FRANKJ
    Jan 19, 2006
    YEARS AGO IN THE 70S THERE MIGHT BE 45 GREAT MOVIES IN A YEAR WELL IN THE 200S THERES ONLY ABOUT 1 A YEAR AND THIS FIM SIDEWAYS WHICH I CAN SEE DAILY TILL I DIE ,HAS EVERYTHING FROM WEDDINGS TO WINE IN IT .......IF U DONT LIKE THIS MOVIE PLEASE DONT GO TO THE MOVIES YOUR NOT A FAN
  48. NickR
    Jan 4, 2006
    Ok. Some intelligent dialogue and emotion, good performances but really not that special. To rate in top 10 alltime is ridiculous, top 10 of year fine. Realistic in some ways, very unrealistic in others is normal in movies but keeps it from rating higher. The sadness is done pretty well, the laughs didnt make me laugh that much.
  49. JoeB
    Dec 22, 2005
    This is what movies should be: well-acted, well-directed, and with great pacing. Though not laugh-out-loud funny, it had subtle humor for the real thinker. Not the 'every man's movie,' but the best movies never are. Certainly worthy of its reviews. An excellent character study.
  50. PhilipJ.
    Dec 11, 2005
    Original and entertaining, i can't see why people give this film below 6.
  51. JamesM
    Nov 19, 2005
    It's hard to believe that films such as Sideways exist: films that make the viewer laugh and cry, be shocked and be out of breath, and make them horrified and simultaneously unable to control their laughter. It's a film that takes the viewer in for two hours and drains them of energy as the events that befall the characters become increasingly unpredictable, severe, and often It's hard to believe that films such as Sideways exist: films that make the viewer laugh and cry, be shocked and be out of breath, and make them horrified and simultaneously unable to control their laughter. It's a film that takes the viewer in for two hours and drains them of energy as the events that befall the characters become increasingly unpredictable, severe, and often hilarious. Sideways is a film that should be seen by everyone. Regardless of the fact that it was made merely a year ago, it is one of the greatest films ever made. Expand
  52. AdamS.
    Oct 30, 2005
    The user comments on this website match the sentiments I get from friends and family. Sideways is hit or miss - you love it or hate it. Simply put, the script and the acting are excellent (seriously... top notch), but the movie is never exciting or wildly dramatic. If you're the kind of person who gets excited about convincing characters and plots then you shouldn't pass this The user comments on this website match the sentiments I get from friends and family. Sideways is hit or miss - you love it or hate it. Simply put, the script and the acting are excellent (seriously... top notch), but the movie is never exciting or wildly dramatic. If you're the kind of person who gets excited about convincing characters and plots then you shouldn't pass this one up. Otherwise, you've been warned. Collapse
  53. RileyB.
    Oct 19, 2005
    The problem with 'Sideways' is not the acting, story, direction, or production. But it's all the positive reviews that it's getting. Traditionally, when a movie gets a great review - regardless of the topic - John Q runs out to see it. Then John Q hates it because it (the film), even though it was great, was not his sort of movie. Feeling let down by the critics - and The problem with 'Sideways' is not the acting, story, direction, or production. But it's all the positive reviews that it's getting. Traditionally, when a movie gets a great review - regardless of the topic - John Q runs out to see it. Then John Q hates it because it (the film), even though it was great, was not his sort of movie. Feeling let down by the critics - and having wasting so much money - John Q rips the movie to shreds in his own mind, badmouthing it whenever he gets the chance. This happened to 'Sideways'. I have many friends who went out saw, rented, or bought this movie - based on Metacritic and other review sites. They aren't exactly ones to sit through a movie like this, and I told them that. But no, they didn't want to read up on the plot or anything else about the movie. They went and watched it, and hated it. Now they rant about how "ghey" it was. I saw this film and loved it. Why? Because I like movies like this. This was a grade 'A' film with a great story. What I'm trying to say is read up on a movie before you see it, if you've never sat through a movie like this before - just because it gets good reviews doesn't mean you can sit through this one. It a matter of education, that's the only reason this movie has a 6:9 (+/-) ratio with critics to readers. A matter of education. Oh, and Richards - hate to bother you and all but I'm not a natural borne "American" nor do I follow "American" humor (I despise films like 'Eurotrip', childish s...). But, I loved this film. So go ahead and ostracize me from your chic-Euro-click. Expand
  54. AndreasC
    Oct 19, 2005
    Fantastic film. Paul Giamatti is amazing and so is everything from story to soundtrack.
  55. RyanM.
    Sep 12, 2005
    Good movie, entertaining, but not great. Exceptionally well written, with some genuinely funny and whimsical scenes. The humor is not always obvious, though some people that reviewed this might expect that. Some cheesy scenes but overall entertaining and odd sometimes. Giamatti is great and the cinemetography makes you want to move to Napa.
  56. Chris
    Sep 11, 2005
    One of the best comedies i have seen in a long time.
  57. Jimmy
    Sep 8, 2005
    Outstanding film, an instant classic. How you could give this movie a negative review is beyond me. The acting is superb. This is an honest film and real as a movie can be-- it wasn't made just to make you laugh. If you missed the point, I guess that's your loss. Go watch American Pie or something.
  58. FrankH
    Aug 22, 2005
    Americans should not be allowed to comment on movies, but after this film I'm almost convinced they should still be allowed to produce them. Also, it would be really nice if you could see people's age here, as I'm sure alot of the harsher critics of the film on here are too young to actually know what a midlife crisis is. I rate this only 9/10 because the whole wine thing Americans should not be allowed to comment on movies, but after this film I'm almost convinced they should still be allowed to produce them. Also, it would be really nice if you could see people's age here, as I'm sure alot of the harsher critics of the film on here are too young to actually know what a midlife crisis is. I rate this only 9/10 because the whole wine thing was too emphasized for my tastes. Otherwise a truly brilliant and funny movie. Expand
  59. PatH
    Jul 29, 2005
    Excellent movie!!! Many laughs!!!
  60. Steve
    Jul 15, 2005
    Does the movie have good acting? Yes it does. Does the movie have a good storyline? Most certainly. Does the movie cater to my need to have something to think about during the film? Yes, thank god, it does have that. But what
  61. Harry
    Jul 14, 2005
    A touching, humorous, and fair film. It is a believable portrayl of four interesting characters and how they interact. Good flick!
  62. TomC.
    Jul 12, 2005
    Best movie I've seen in a long time. Well written, acted, cast and filmed. Cheers!
  63. GeorgeL.
    Jul 3, 2005
    I can only deduce that the majority of low scores given to this awesome film is the result of years of mindless, processed, stupid fake Hollywood crap brainwashing.
  64. AnthonyS
    Jun 6, 2005
    Brilliant.
  65. BrookM.
    Jun 4, 2005
    How can anyone not warm to this film!
  66. ronpayne
    Jun 4, 2005
    Amazing film--for 40-ish men whose lives haven't turned out the way they planned, this film nails it. Almost a companion piece to "Lost in Translation"--I watched them back to back (and took a Xanax). Superb on every level; painfully real. Giamatti was robbed by the Academy (so what's new--they hardly have a stellar track record for rewarding great performances). Didn't Amazing film--for 40-ish men whose lives haven't turned out the way they planned, this film nails it. Almost a companion piece to "Lost in Translation"--I watched them back to back (and took a Xanax). Superb on every level; painfully real. Giamatti was robbed by the Academy (so what's new--they hardly have a stellar track record for rewarding great performances). Didn't think he could top his performance in "American Splendor," yet he did. Almost a perfect 10; an all-time favorite I watch over and over. Expand
  67. chrissys
    Jun 3, 2005
    Amazing, justsimply amazing.
  68. OrlandoCuculiza
    Jun 2, 2005
    Ok, the movie is highly enjoyable and entertaining but it ain't as great as all the critics picture it!. Of course you enjoy the plot and all, but there aren't many hilarious movies and the humor is not even ironic or such to laugh out loud of the circumstances.
    It's just an over-the-average dromedy, which you could watch just to watch when you're bored.
  69. OrlandoC.
    Jun 1, 2005
    While this pleasant, sometimes sweet movie is well engineered, it stretches a thin story. Only after 45min does Miles add substance. It goes by like novels written by the new wave of French authors: you can find magic and tragedy in every day, but looking back, there really isn't much material to the plot.
  70. SusanM.
    May 30, 2005
    I thought this movie would be boring and pretentious, but it was neither! It was really funny and good.
  71. KevinB.
    May 29, 2005
    I'm also from the UK and cannot understand why this film has been dissed by American viewers. It may not be Citizen Kane but it hits the spot so many times that, in its own terms, it is a perfect movie. Perhaps the Critics' Movie tag is inviting disappointment (Don't Believe the Hype) but you must have a sense of humour bypass if you don't laugh even a few times: I'm also from the UK and cannot understand why this film has been dissed by American viewers. It may not be Citizen Kane but it hits the spot so many times that, in its own terms, it is a perfect movie. Perhaps the Critics' Movie tag is inviting disappointment (Don't Believe the Hype) but you must have a sense of humour bypass if you don't laugh even a few times: remember Paul G. recovering his buddy's wallet from the bedroom, where the waitress is being shagged by her trucker husband, who is then chased by the naked trucker back to the car and jiggle - WHAM!? Just as a sight gag it's a masterpiece. Perhaps jiggling penises don't go down too well in the Mid-West (Ooh-er)? The other thing that makes this film perfect is the warmth and insight into male foibles. It's not a 10 'cos it ain't an ambitious film (eg Kane) but if only Britain could make a film like this now (we can't). Expand
  72. larrys.
    May 24, 2005
    SUPERB! Unforunately not a movie for the avearge JOE who cannot appreciate a film that has 90 minutes of non stop action and violence. If you like Arnold movies, thought Titanic was a good movie or think Adam Sandler rocks don't bother seeing the movie, If you've seen Garden State, Crash and/or Assasination of Richard Nixon and loved them go see Sideways.
  73. J.RyanG.
    May 23, 2005
    A perfect little movie. It is about a critic, which is what draws the critical type into its gentle, simple narrative. And what makes us love the movie is that the critic character--who is a tight bundle of failures, weaknesses, and pain--is ultimately deserving of love. Paul Giamatti plays the greatest alcoholic in the history of the cinema. He is a drunk in each and every scene, though A perfect little movie. It is about a critic, which is what draws the critical type into its gentle, simple narrative. And what makes us love the movie is that the critic character--who is a tight bundle of failures, weaknesses, and pain--is ultimately deserving of love. Paul Giamatti plays the greatest alcoholic in the history of the cinema. He is a drunk in each and every scene, though he is not always drunk. His dependency can be concealed until he bursts, and then it shows itself as a big red devil during moments when, to the sufferer of the malady, there is no such thing as self-control. Alexander Payne writes (with Jim Taylor) and directs the best film of his career. His 1999 film "Election" is one of the most underrated films of the last twenty years, but 2002's "About Schmidt" is one of the most overrated. This is a swift, graceful, uncomplicated movie, and one that hurtles like a brilliant meteor in the right direction. Expand
  74. JohnF.
    May 21, 2005
    Im from the UK. What interests me about the negative comments is their truly conservative nature. Is this a reflection of US attitudes in general - insular and narrow - I hope not. This film is a true american classic - be proud and shout it! It was reviewed well over here too.The detractors i'm sure would prefer yet more comfortable glossy mass appeal films using routine formulas. Im from the UK. What interests me about the negative comments is their truly conservative nature. Is this a reflection of US attitudes in general - insular and narrow - I hope not. This film is a true american classic - be proud and shout it! It was reviewed well over here too.The detractors i'm sure would prefer yet more comfortable glossy mass appeal films using routine formulas. So what if you dont fall in love with the lead roles - this is a slice of real life mid life crisis. Outstanding!! Expand
  75. JohnM
    May 18, 2005
    Simply enjoyable. Make sure you watch with a bottle of wine. I notice those who marked it poorly all seem to have trouble with spelling. So perhaps if you're an uneducated yak who doesn't understand story driven dialogue and prefers SFX to be the main character then this ain't for you.
  76. PatC.
    May 16, 2005
    I did not think the characters in this film are really exemplary as having much to offer people. The critical adulation leads me to view our film establishment as animals without backbones. As for the film itself, the presentation is precise and involving. The side commentaries, especially wine appreciation, helps give the show some specialness. Giamatti's maladaptively insecure I did not think the characters in this film are really exemplary as having much to offer people. The critical adulation leads me to view our film establishment as animals without backbones. As for the film itself, the presentation is precise and involving. The side commentaries, especially wine appreciation, helps give the show some specialness. Giamatti's maladaptively insecure character, as the male counterpart for My Big Fat Greek Wedding, was extremely well played and deserving of what recognition he received. I'll concede some personal bias, but it appears I'm not alone in wondering what the hoopla is all about. Expand
  77. MichaelD.
    May 16, 2005
    This is a great story. Everyone will see some of themselves in the characters, and the setting is so creative and fertile! On the other hand, for all the praise of Paul G's performance, I thought he was the weakest link. Oh well, if HE is the weakest link, you still knows its a damn fine movie.
  78. DaveF
    May 14, 2005
    Dangerously, intoxicatingly perfect. I'm afraid we have a classic on our hands.
  79. ChrisR.
    May 7, 2005
    Sideways: Two men, one the groom (Jack), the other the best man (Miles), embark on a trip through California wine country a week before the wedding; the trip is intended to let the guys "pal around together" and "get away from it all". Jack is an uninhabited "carefree happy-go-lucky" type of guy while Miles is definitely anal retentive. Both are entering middle age and, on this trip, each Sideways: Two men, one the groom (Jack), the other the best man (Miles), embark on a trip through California wine country a week before the wedding; the trip is intended to let the guys "pal around together" and "get away from it all". Jack is an uninhabited "carefree happy-go-lucky" type of guy while Miles is definitely anal retentive. Both are entering middle age and, on this trip, each in his own way reflects on the rather disappointing accomplishments of his life. The movie focus is on Miles, who is having a hard time adjusting to his divorce and who seems to be traveling down the road of life at the wrong angle to the things around him -- sideways, so to speak. Can he get his life back on track? A thoroughly enjoyable movie whose comedy is reality based rather than writer creation --- well, except for maybe the part where Miles grabs the wallet out of the room where the two people are fornicating. I give this one a 9.20. Expand
  80. WilliamL.
    May 3, 2005
    I saw this film with a friend of mine named g-unit... and as he raved for the film my ferver grew. Then out of nowhere Thomas Hayden (cry-baby) Church comes in and forticates with everyone on the screen, then has the audacity to cry to the audience... i was not convince g-unit.... not at all.... don't come over ever again after that piece of crap of a film... don't try to hold I saw this film with a friend of mine named g-unit... and as he raved for the film my ferver grew. Then out of nowhere Thomas Hayden (cry-baby) Church comes in and forticates with everyone on the screen, then has the audacity to cry to the audience... i was not convince g-unit.... not at all.... don't come over ever again after that piece of crap of a film... don't try to hold my hand go away ag money just like paul giamatti and get crunked off of pino!!! Expand
  81. bubblel
    May 3, 2005
    Realistic and funny. very witty.
  82. RickK
    Apr 30, 2005
    Not everyone will enjoy this movie as much as I did - it's a bit of a guy-college-bud, what-has-become-of-my-life movie. It certainly made me feel happier and entertained.
  83. RobertL.
    Apr 29, 2005
    A good, solid movie. It starts slowly, 'til it grabs you by the balls and you are totally immersed in its plot and rich characters. A real winner.
  84. marcoc.
    Apr 28, 2005
    A hugely enjoyable film with a great performance from Giamatti. The writing is first class. Overall it is an insightful, funny and moving picture.
  85. ClintM.
    Apr 26, 2005
    I would have to agree with reviewer "Joe R." when he said the reason a lot of users didn't care for this movie or "get" it was b/c you need to have been through a serious relationship or two and a few disappointments to really get the vibe of the movie. I thought it was really genuinely funny; not at all forced. The performances were all wonderful and natural. I would recommend this I would have to agree with reviewer "Joe R." when he said the reason a lot of users didn't care for this movie or "get" it was b/c you need to have been through a serious relationship or two and a few disappointments to really get the vibe of the movie. I thought it was really genuinely funny; not at all forced. The performances were all wonderful and natural. I would recommend this movie to anyone who can find laughter even when life seems to be at its lowest. Expand
  86. PhilT
    Apr 24, 2005
    This movie is more than a comedy. It's a comment on friendship, love, and the human condition. What I liked most about Jack and Miles was that their friendship could take the turbulence generated by their foibles. They stuck with one another, like true friends. It is also about love, courage, and healing. Looking for a yuk-yuk comedy? Look elsewhere. This film is more than that.
  87. Brian
    Apr 23, 2005
    A critically acclaimed movie that lives up to its hype. Realistic, believable characters warts and all, beautiful scenery, moments of hilarity and I don't even care for wine. Strong, natural performaces, a script that reflects the way people talk rather than how screenwriters think they talk.
  88. JoeR
    Apr 19, 2005
    This scenic little travelog through wine country is relaxed, insightful and frequently hilarious. You probably need to have been through a few serious relationships and disappointments to fully appreciate the subtle warmth, angst, bizarre acting out and needyness of the characters which probably explains why most users loved it but a few just didn't get it.
  89. ReidM.
    Apr 16, 2005
    A fabulous movie. The story is unique, the charachters are twisted and it made me laugh.
  90. evert
    Apr 14, 2005
    It seems like theres a lot of morons here that went the wrong way and ended up watching sideways instead of Alexander.
  91. Sonja
    Apr 14, 2005
    One of those movies that's so good, you wish you could keep on seeing it for the first time!
  92. KateC.
    Apr 11, 2005
    Just a great movie!
  93. JeffM
    Apr 10, 2005
    A very realistic movie. In a time of Hollywood acting and Hollywood endings, this movie is a breath of fresh air. It is not a feel good movie, but at times extremely funny and entertaining. Too many people see this movie expecting a laugh riot...It's not!!! What it is is a look at real people doing real things and it is very fun to watch. At times it is very depressing, but A very realistic movie. In a time of Hollywood acting and Hollywood endings, this movie is a breath of fresh air. It is not a feel good movie, but at times extremely funny and entertaining. Too many people see this movie expecting a laugh riot...It's not!!! What it is is a look at real people doing real things and it is very fun to watch. At times it is very depressing, but that's real life. I feel sorry for everybody who doesn't like this movie...I say watch it again, now that you know what to expect, and maybe you'll see how truely great it is. Expand
  94. AndyG.
    Apr 9, 2005
    Skllful acting, clever script, polished direction, yet for some reason it remains flat and uninvolving;- to me, at least. It's Holywood, all the way.
  95. JimG.
    Apr 9, 2005
    Good character development.
  96. RobertH
    Apr 8, 2005
    Great Movie... I loved it... so funny and soo much more entertaining than The Aviator or Million Dollar Baby.
  97. DickB.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Extremely heartfelt and original.
  98. DavidK
    Apr 7, 2005
    Very interesting and original are the highs. Also, great to see a low budget movie make big money. Maybe Hollywood will take notice and quit following a canned model of junk (for the most part). However, the movie is not worthy of a "94" or Academy Award Nomination - be serious.
  99. Gnarles
    Apr 6, 2005
    People seem mystified as how this movie could pull in such great reviews and receive such praise. Actually, folks, it's very simple: Sidways is a really, really good movie all the way through, which is rare. Rarer still is that it's one that rewards patience, intelligence, and humanism. And rarest of all, it's a movie that, in this day and age, doesn't have any "hip" People seem mystified as how this movie could pull in such great reviews and receive such praise. Actually, folks, it's very simple: Sidways is a really, really good movie all the way through, which is rare. Rarer still is that it's one that rewards patience, intelligence, and humanism. And rarest of all, it's a movie that, in this day and age, doesn't have any "hip" teenagers, mindless violence, or is a remake or a sequel of some kind. Put it together, and it's no wonder critics ate this up. I was suspect of this movie's rave reviews, and it's always fun to go against a critically praised movie (which is clearly what some people are doing here, just for the hell of it) but the fact of the matter is that Sideways delivers, and repeat viewings only reinforce it, not dilute it. Get over it and move on to you next disappointing summer blockbuster, people. The more of those you see, the more movies like Sideways I get, as the descerning audiences lie in wait for something that cleanses the palette like, well, a fine wine. Drink up and enjoy. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A beautifully observed, small-scale study of personal foibles, romantic uncertainty and two sides of the sadly predictable male animal.
  2. Hysterically funny yet melancholy comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    In Sideways, Payne has created four of the most lived-in, indelible characters in recent American movies. This deliciously bittersweet movie makes magic out of the quotidian.