6.6

1. JohnL.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Great movie! I did not know what to expect, so the entire movie was a surprise. Very funny, I laughed out so many times. Story is orignal, not your typical movie. I think this is the movie of the year.
  2. brianB
    Feb 1, 2005
    Brilliant script. Excellent acting. Simply stated, the best movie I have seen in several years. Don't miss it!
  3. AnthonyS
    Feb 4, 2005
    Brilliant.
  4. Derkins
    Oct 20, 2004
    Brilliant, and the best film I have seen all year. Excellent characters, beautiful visuals, and in the screening I saw I have never heard a theater erupt in laughter so loudly and sit in sadness so quietly before.
  5. liz
    Jan 1, 2005
    A perfect 10--a great movie.
  6. JonathanS.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Fresh, honest. An inspired and funny look at men's searches for sex and love.
  7. JeffM
    Apr 10, 2005
    A very realistic movie. In a time of Hollywood acting and Hollywood endings, this movie is a breath of fresh air. It is not a feel good movie, but at times extremely funny and entertaining. Too many people see this movie expecting a laugh riot...It's not!!! What it is is a look at real people doing real things and it is very fun to watch. At times it is very depressing, but A very realistic movie. In a time of Hollywood acting and Hollywood endings, this movie is a breath of fresh air. It is not a feel good movie, but at times extremely funny and entertaining. Too many people see this movie expecting a laugh riot...It's not!!! What it is is a look at real people doing real things and it is very fun to watch. At times it is very depressing, but that's real life. I feel sorry for everybody who doesn't like this movie...I say watch it again, now that you know what to expect, and maybe you'll see how truely great it is. Expand
  8. Jimmy
    Sep 8, 2005
    Outstanding film, an instant classic. How you could give this movie a negative review is beyond me. The acting is superb. This is an honest film and real as a movie can be-- it wasn't made just to make you laugh. If you missed the point, I guess that's your loss. Go watch American Pie or something.
  9. KatieM
    Oct 22, 2004
    This movie was moving and beautiful, but I actually preferred the book, where Miles's character is just as real but a little bit less of a downer.
  10. AS
    Oct 30, 2004
    So far, this is the best film of 2004. It's just simply one perfect film. Sad, wise and VERY funny. Very highly recommended.
    Jan 12, 2005
    The smartest funny movie I have seen in years.
  12. Aaron
    Jan 12, 2005
    Sideways deserves all of the positive reviews it is receiving. It is such a breath of fresh air in a movie world where beautiful, perfect looking actors with no talent take in $20 million a movie. I loved Sideways for its brutally honest depiction of how life really is if you make bad decisions in life, but I also admire the writer
  13. NealA.
    Pure cinematic magic!
  14. Rod
    Jan 17, 2005
    A refreshingly good film!
  15. AndreasC
    Oct 19, 2005
    Fantastic film. Paul Giamatti is amazing and so is everything from story to soundtrack.
  16. AdamS.
    Oct 30, 2005
    The user comments on this website match the sentiments I get from friends and family. Sideways is hit or miss - you love it or hate it. Simply put, the script and the acting are excellent (seriously... top notch), but the movie is never exciting or wildly dramatic. If you're the kind of person who gets excited about convincing characters and plots then you shouldn't pass this The user comments on this website match the sentiments I get from friends and family. Sideways is hit or miss - you love it or hate it. Simply put, the script and the acting are excellent (seriously... top notch), but the movie is never exciting or wildly dramatic. If you're the kind of person who gets excited about convincing characters and plots then you shouldn't pass this one up. Otherwise, you've been warned. Expand
  17. TimF.
    Jan 7, 2005
    The best non-action American movie of this pre-pubescent 21st century.
  18. WinnieS.
    Jan 9, 2005
    I don't think any other movie has portrayed male friendship as boldly or touching a manner. We see the good, the bad, and the ugly -- from their unfailing support and affection for each other, to their codependent enabling of each other's destructive habits. The movie also contrasts the slow dance of a new, real -- yet tentative -- love (between Giamatti and Madsen) with the I don't think any other movie has portrayed male friendship as boldly or touching a manner. We see the good, the bad, and the ugly -- from their unfailing support and affection for each other, to their codependent enabling of each other's destructive habits. The movie also contrasts the slow dance of a new, real -- yet tentative -- love (between Giamatti and Madsen) with the intoxication of overwhelming physical attraction (between Hayden Church and Oh) in an unusually clear -- and very entertaining -- manner. Each of the actors brings incredible truth to the characters. You see yourself in them and many others you have known. This movie belongs in every collection. Each viewing will reveal more layers of the uniquely human experience -- our complicated, messy lives, our desire for that perfect moment (or wine), and the pure bliss we experience when we achieve them, however fleetingly. Expand
  19. Chang
    Feb 2, 2005
    Very very very great movie!!!!
  20. EJ
    Feb 28, 2005
    The movie was very poignant in its representation of the day to day agonies and painful joys present in contemporary life. By using wine as a conceit, the writers were able to express the complexities of modern day friendships, separation, depression and love. Subtle, devoid of hollywood gimik and rich with the flavor of human experience, Sideways could very well be the best film of the year.
  21. CoryR
    Mar 23, 2005
    Hilarious and heartfelt. I would have applauded if this movie won the Oscar. A great human comedy.
  22. johnp.
    Mar 6, 2005
    An absolutely incredible film with great characters and amazing acting.
  23. TimD.
    Mar 7, 2005
    Very well written and directed, superbly acted across the board (with special mention going to Paul Giamatti for deceptively fine work), and emotionally, not easy. I can see why there are those who hated it, but I don't agree with them. I think this film is most definitely a contender for the year's best.
  24. GrannyGrapes
    Mar 9, 2005
    Definitely deserved the best picture nomination and probably should have won. The best movie I've ever seen in my life. Paul Giamatti's performance was amazing, particularly when he had to react in close-up with no lines when his ex tells him that's she's pregnant. That was an inspirational moment in acting history and I would defy anyone to try an pull off that scene Definitely deserved the best picture nomination and probably should have won. The best movie I've ever seen in my life. Paul Giamatti's performance was amazing, particularly when he had to react in close-up with no lines when his ex tells him that's she's pregnant. That was an inspirational moment in acting history and I would defy anyone to try an pull off that scene in 100 takes or less. Expand
  25. Gnarles
    Apr 6, 2005
    People seem mystified as how this movie could pull in such great reviews and receive such praise. Actually, folks, it's very simple: Sidways is a really, really good movie all the way through, which is rare. Rarer still is that it's one that rewards patience, intelligence, and humanism. And rarest of all, it's a movie that, in this day and age, doesn't have any "hip" People seem mystified as how this movie could pull in such great reviews and receive such praise. Actually, folks, it's very simple: Sidways is a really, really good movie all the way through, which is rare. Rarer still is that it's one that rewards patience, intelligence, and humanism. And rarest of all, it's a movie that, in this day and age, doesn't have any "hip" teenagers, mindless violence, or is a remake or a sequel of some kind. Put it together, and it's no wonder critics ate this up. I was suspect of this movie's rave reviews, and it's always fun to go against a critically praised movie (which is clearly what some people are doing here, just for the hell of it) but the fact of the matter is that Sideways delivers, and repeat viewings only reinforce it, not dilute it. Get over it and move on to you next disappointing summer blockbuster, people. The more of those you see, the more movies like Sideways I get, as the descerning audiences lie in wait for something that cleanses the palette like, well, a fine wine. Drink up and enjoy. Expand
  26. DickB.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Extremely heartfelt and original.
  27. RobertH
    Apr 8, 2005
    Great Movie... I loved it... so funny and soo much more entertaining than The Aviator or Million Dollar Baby.
  28. WilliamL.
    May 3, 2005
    I saw this film with a friend of mine named g-unit... and as he raved for the film my ferver grew. Then out of nowhere Thomas Hayden (cry-baby) Church comes in and forticates with everyone on the screen, then has the audacity to cry to the audience... i was not convince g-unit.... not at all.... don't come over ever again after that piece of crap of a film... don't try to hold I saw this film with a friend of mine named g-unit... and as he raved for the film my ferver grew. Then out of nowhere Thomas Hayden (cry-baby) Church comes in and forticates with everyone on the screen, then has the audacity to cry to the audience... i was not convince g-unit.... not at all.... don't come over ever again after that piece of crap of a film... don't try to hold my hand go away ag money just like paul giamatti and get crunked off of pino!!! Expand
  29. TomC.
    Jul 12, 2005
    Best movie I've seen in a long time. Well written, acted, cast and filmed. Cheers!
  30. GeorgeL.
    Jul 3, 2005
    I can only deduce that the majority of low scores given to this awesome film is the result of years of mindless, processed, stupid fake Hollywood crap brainwashing.
  31. Chris
    Sep 11, 2005
    One of the best comedies i have seen in a long time.
  32. FRANKJ
    Jan 19, 2006
    YEARS AGO IN THE 70S THERE MIGHT BE 45 GREAT MOVIES IN A YEAR WELL IN THE 200S THERES ONLY ABOUT 1 A YEAR AND THIS FIM SIDEWAYS WHICH I CAN SEE DAILY TILL I DIE ,HAS EVERYTHING FROM WEDDINGS TO WINE IN IT .......IF U DONT LIKE THIS MOVIE PLEASE DONT GO TO THE MOVIES YOUR NOT A FAN
  33. RonaldH.
    Apr 14, 2006
    The 94 score on here says it all. If you didn't like it then you didn't get it.
  34. DanielC.
    Jul 11, 2006
    I think a little life experience is needed to fully appreciate this film. Don't expect any explosions or epiphanies just a beautiful and thoughtful trip through life's ups and downs. Very funny too. People giving this film very low scores are Silly.
  35. KennyM.
    Mar 28, 2008
    One of the greatest movies of all time. Alexander Payne is a master of his craft. I don't understand why so many people here didn't find it funny...I thought it was hilarious. Anyway, this film kicks ass. Great script, great shooting, great acting, great directing...everything is perfection. Only American Beauty and a select other few films rate above Sideways in my book.
  36. BrianW
    Apr 3, 2009
    this movie is neither a 10 nor a 0, but I'm giving it a 10 to offset all of you who don't have a clue. It is very entertaining and quite refreshing compared to all the formula crap coming out of Hollywood. All you folks who didn't get it ought to consider staying home to watch something really stimulating, like American Idol.
  37. hector
    Nov 12, 2004
    My true rating would probably be 9.5, but this was a fantastic film (and the best Payne work to date). Giamatti was perfectly cast, and the only critiques I could offer would be relatively minor. The two hours will seem long to some, but they flew by for me. I can't wait to see it again.
  38. RaymondS.
    Nov 13, 2004
    An extraordinary movie that mesmerically blends outrageous comedy with a deep emotionalism. Easily the best film about men and how they interact. I think the dissenters below are young men who haven't experienced enough of life to know just how true and honest this film really is.
  39. EricM.
    Nov 6, 2004
    Paul Giamatti -- how does he get to star in the best movie of the year, two years in a row?
  40. BrianS
    Oct 22, 2004
    Loved it. It's Alexander Payne's best film. Paul Giamatti and Virginia Madsen should win Oscars for their performances.
  41. CharlieB.
    Dec 9, 2004
    A GREAT SERIOUS COMEDY.
  44. Jason
    Jan 30, 2005
    Absolutely loved it....two guys who should know better living life like they were 22.
  45. TrishS
    Jan 30, 2005
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. Everything from the acting and cinematography to the writnig and directing worked beautifully. Movie is full of human touch!
  46. Robert
    Feb 21, 2005
    Excellent movie. I'm with Bob B., get over your ultra-conservative values for just a minute and enjoy a great movie. Contrary to what some people here apparently thought, I found the characters extremely believable and sympathetic. I would say there was probably slightly more drama than comedy in this movie, but both parts were done extremely well.
  47. AndyW.
    Feb 21, 2005
    Funny, emotional and genuine. Could only be "offensive" to those who are scared of opening their eyes to the people and relationships of our time. Genius at work.
  48. ThanasisP.
    Feb 23, 2005
    Wow! People either loved it or hated it, 0 or 10. Not much in between. Well, I just saw it and I loved it!. I also understood why many hate it. This is one of those movies that you either get it or you don
  49. Jeff
    Feb 27, 2005
    Perfect, a real movie, nothing compares!!! And to thonse who said it wasn't good, maybe you need to look up the definition of a true cinematic experience, you'd get a picture of Giamatti and Church!
  50. TimM
    Feb 3, 2005
    Flawless and hilarious. if you have a low intelligence and are only entertained with explosions and slapstick (not to dis either of the two) then this is not for you.
  51. StaciL.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Beautiful for wine lovers and budding wine lovers alike!
  52. OlivierP.
    Mar 16, 2005
    Amazing, funny and poetic road-movie.
  53. JoeF
    Mar 17, 2005
    The low ratings portrayed are classic examples of an underground film for those intelligent few, and then the "average" movie audience gets wind of it, sees it, doesn't understand it, and doesn't like it, I guess ignorance isn't always bliss huh? Quit freaking out, it's a movie, go home and rent Independence Day, and don't forget to stop at Mickey D's on the way.
  54. ReidM.
    Apr 16, 2005
    A fabulous movie. The story is unique, the charachters are twisted and it made me laugh.
  55. Brian
    Apr 23, 2005
    A critically acclaimed movie that lives up to its hype. Realistic, believable characters warts and all, beautiful scenery, moments of hilarity and I don't even care for wine. Strong, natural performaces, a script that reflects the way people talk rather than how screenwriters think they talk.
  56. JohnS
    Apr 6, 2005
    This was as perfect as movies get. It is very deserving of the 94 rating by the critics. I am not sure who these people (ie., users) are who did not get the movie. Why did they go, wasn't there a monster truck rally they could have watched?
  57. DaveF
    May 14, 2005
    Dangerously, intoxicatingly perfect. I'm afraid we have a classic on our hands.
  58. JohnM
    May 18, 2005
    Simply enjoyable. Make sure you watch with a bottle of wine. I notice those who marked it poorly all seem to have trouble with spelling. So perhaps if you're an uneducated yak who doesn't understand story driven dialogue and prefers SFX to be the main character then this ain't for you.
  59. larrys.
    May 24, 2005
    SUPERB! Unforunately not a movie for the avearge JOE who cannot appreciate a film that has 90 minutes of non stop action and violence. If you like Arnold movies, thought Titanic was a good movie or think Adam Sandler rocks don't bother seeing the movie, If you've seen Garden State, Crash and/or Assasination of Richard Nixon and loved them go see Sideways.
  60. chrissys
    Jun 3, 2005
    Amazing, justsimply amazing.
  61. BrookM.
    Jun 4, 2005
    How can anyone not warm to this film!
  62. AnthonyS
    Jun 6, 2005
    Brilliant.
  63. EC
    Nov 5, 2006
    Possibly one of the smartest comedies thus far in this millenium. Anyone who doesn't like this movie is obviously too retarded to understand it.
  64. TonyB.
    May 30, 2006
    i loved this movie i didnt see one thing wrong with it. I dont understand why people cant except realizm in movies this has excellent dialouge it was had some very funny moments i am glad i didnt listen to anybody when they told me this movie was bad, i enjoyed it greatly, deffinatly recommend for a viewing.
  65. NathanT.
    Aug 12, 2006
    "Sideways" is inarguably the best film of our decade; a classic that can stand up to any great film from any era in cinema. [***SPOILERS***] This is film at its most intoxicating, its most poignant, and funniest. Paul Giamatti was screwed out of even being nominated for Best Actor, while Thomas Hayden Church and Virginia Madsen were justly nominated for their parts, even if they "Sideways" is inarguably the best film of our decade; a classic that can stand up to any great film from any era in cinema. [***SPOILERS***] This is film at its most intoxicating, its most poignant, and funniest. Paul Giamatti was screwed out of even being nominated for Best Actor, while Thomas Hayden Church and Virginia Madsen were justly nominated for their parts, even if they didn't win. The real genius of "Sideways" is that director Alexander Payne creates empathy for two guys that when you think about it, aren't really that sympathetic. Miles (Giamatti) is a grump, and usually drunk on wine from the night before. Jack is an aging sex addict. Not a lot of wiggle room to like these characters. But Payne makes us care and by the end of it they've both been through so many experiences that we can only hope they've learned. And the knock that ends the movie is pure bliss. Raise your glasses and treat yourself to a classic that is guaranteed to age better than "Memento" ever will. This is one that you savor. Expand
  66. FreddieL.
    Dec 1, 2007
    To begin, this was a delightfully written and acted film. How anyone could not connect and feel for Paul Giametti's character astounds me. It saddens me how egotistical twerps attack this film, rating it badly simply on the grounds that it was rated highly by critics, though a films quality must always be percieved without the presence of a review, in my opinion. Therefore, I am To begin, this was a delightfully written and acted film. How anyone could not connect and feel for Paul Giametti's character astounds me. It saddens me how egotistical twerps attack this film, rating it badly simply on the grounds that it was rated highly by critics, though a films quality must always be percieved without the presence of a review, in my opinion. Therefore, I am slightly surpirsed by those who didnt enjoy the film for what it was; an intimate, warming tale of a man, whose life it seems can only genuinely be related to and understood by those with a conscious, and those who don't take life for granted. In conclusion, Sideways is a truly uplifting film which i recommend highly, regardless of the critics' reviews. Expand
  67. AlexM.
    Feb 11, 2007
    One of the cleverest and funniest films that I have had a pleasure watching. A real delight, how all comedy should be - clever and edgy. All those who did not like this film are obviously lacking in intelligence and sense of humour!
  68. SvenS.
    May 16, 2007
    One of the best movies I have ever seen...it's so fucking good!!! I don't understand why people dislike this movie... It made me feel very good!! And the humor isn't big like Naked Gun, but it's funny!!!
  69. JackO
    Oct 10, 2009
    Can't describe how real and awesome this movie is. absolute perfection in every sense of the word.
  70. NeilF
    Oct 19, 2009
    Life-affirming. Anyone who doesn't get it has a black hole where their heart should be.
  71. JimR.
    Nov 13, 2004
    A real comedy. about real people, for real adults. loved the snowball rolling down a hill pace. give an 11 to the casting agent. i roared throughout.
  72. TCarson
    Dec 13, 2004
    Thank God there are movies like this being made!
  73. Jonathan
    Dec 30, 2004
  74. SheldonG
    Dec 4, 2004
    Most movies offer 90 minutes of escapism at best with more than a few making me wish I could escape the theatre. Once in a very long while a movie comes along that makes such an impression that days after viewing it I'm still remembering various scenes with great relish. I have not seen a better movie this year. Even as I write this I'm smiling as delectable moments from the Most movies offer 90 minutes of escapism at best with more than a few making me wish I could escape the theatre. Once in a very long while a movie comes along that makes such an impression that days after viewing it I'm still remembering various scenes with great relish. I have not seen a better movie this year. Even as I write this I'm smiling as delectable moments from the movie (of which there are many) come back to entertain me from my memory. This movie is about nuance, emotion, humour and pathos. To those other voters who gave this movie a one or zero I suggest they go back to their freightrains and 120 decibel explosions. Expand
  75. AndrewT
    Oct 31, 2004
    It's the greatest film of 2004 and will most likely not be surpassed.
  76. JamesM
    Nov 19, 2005
    It's hard to believe that films such as Sideways exist: films that make the viewer laugh and cry, be shocked and be out of breath, and make them horrified and simultaneously unable to control their laughter. It's a film that takes the viewer in for two hours and drains them of energy as the events that befall the characters become increasingly unpredictable, severe, and often It's hard to believe that films such as Sideways exist: films that make the viewer laugh and cry, be shocked and be out of breath, and make them horrified and simultaneously unable to control their laughter. It's a film that takes the viewer in for two hours and drains them of energy as the events that befall the characters become increasingly unpredictable, severe, and often hilarious. Sideways is a film that should be seen by everyone. Regardless of the fact that it was made merely a year ago, it is one of the greatest films ever made. Expand
  77. AllisonE.
    Jan 12, 2005
    I loved this movie. It had complex characters, a simple story, was hilarious and at the same time deeply touching & profound. What a great film- It's going to be sweeping the award shows this year.
  78. JimmyS.
    Jan 13, 2005
    Great movie! Don't listen to the negative reviews by the morally righetous. This movie depicts two charcters honestly. There might not be the "happy ending" (the bad guys in this film don't get their due turns), but life isn't like that.
  79. BradC
    Jan 13, 2005
    Even though I don't drink wine, I could completely relate to this movie. I've a few friends who act exactly like both charcters and even though, I depise the way they act sometimes, I love them with all my heart. And I know, that's hard to grasp, loving someone whose certain traits you hate, but I suppose that's what true diversity is all about. I'm glad someone Even though I don't drink wine, I could completely relate to this movie. I've a few friends who act exactly like both charcters and even though, I depise the way they act sometimes, I love them with all my heart. And I know, that's hard to grasp, loving someone whose certain traits you hate, but I suppose that's what true diversity is all about. I'm glad someone tried making the lowlife the main charcter and showed him bumbling his way through the movie. I love that the supporting charcter didn't get in trouble for cheating on his woman. It's true to some people's life and I'm glad that people got to watch it on screen. I'm also glad that you got mad, but I'm sorry that you transitioned that anger into a negative rating. Expand
  80. joanm
    Jan 16, 2005
    well acted/so funny so human! paul and thomas were the greatest team. have not enjoyed a movie so much in years. and touching to boot!! have a ball go see it!!! you will laugh on your way home. great talent!! need more movies like this!!
  81. RileyB.
    Oct 19, 2005
    The problem with 'Sideways' is not the acting, story, direction, or production. But it's all the positive reviews that it's getting. Traditionally, when a movie gets a great review - regardless of the topic - John Q runs out to see it. Then John Q hates it because it (the film), even though it was great, was not his sort of movie. Feeling let down by the critics - and The problem with 'Sideways' is not the acting, story, direction, or production. But it's all the positive reviews that it's getting. Traditionally, when a movie gets a great review - regardless of the topic - John Q runs out to see it. Then John Q hates it because it (the film), even though it was great, was not his sort of movie. Feeling let down by the critics - and having wasting so much money - John Q rips the movie to shreds in his own mind, badmouthing it whenever he gets the chance. This happened to 'Sideways'. I have many friends who went out saw, rented, or bought this movie - based on Metacritic and other review sites. They aren't exactly ones to sit through a movie like this, and I told them that. But no, they didn't want to read up on the plot or anything else about the movie. They went and watched it, and hated it. Now they rant about how "ghey" it was. I saw this film and loved it. Why? Because I like movies like this. This was a grade 'A' film with a great story. What I'm trying to say is read up on a movie before you see it, if you've never sat through a movie like this before - just because it gets good reviews doesn't mean you can sit through this one. It a matter of education, that's the only reason this movie has a 6:9 (+/-) ratio with critics to readers. A matter of education. Oh, and Richards - hate to bother you and all but I'm not a natural borne "American" nor do I follow "American" humor (I despise films like 'Eurotrip', childish s...). But, I loved this film. So go ahead and ostracize me from your chic-Euro-click. Expand
  82. PhilipJ.
    Dec 11, 2005
    Original and entertaining, i can't see why people give this film below 6.
  83. LoriV.
    Jan 28, 2005
    This was a masterpiece of total delight!! Loved it from beginning to end.
  84. KenK.
    Jan 29, 2005
    This film is a beautiful collision of humor and poignancy. All of the actors deliver compelling performances, but Giamatti's effort transcends the medium of "acting" as he simply becomes, "Miles", the central character in this drama. It is unconscionable that the Academy overlooked Giamatti for a Best Actor nomination.
  85. BobB.
    Feb 19, 2005
    "This film was offensive"... "should have been an NC17" ... "totally inappropriate" .... You people make me sick! This was a GREAT movie and deserves a much higher score than most of you conservative wackos gave it. In the future, please do us all a favor and abstain from tarnishing the image of wonderful movies because of your own personal insecurities. I highly recommend this movie. Two "This film was offensive"... "should have been an NC17" ... "totally inappropriate" .... You people make me sick! This was a GREAT movie and deserves a much higher score than most of you conservative wackos gave it. In the future, please do us all a favor and abstain from tarnishing the image of wonderful movies because of your own personal insecurities. I highly recommend this movie. Two thumbs up! Collapse
  86. DaniellaD.
    Mar 12, 2005
    The best movie of the year for me...When is it out on DVD as I will be first to buy. Great acting and in my opinion deserved to win all the Oscars! See it now if you have not.
  87. KateC.
    Apr 11, 2005
    Just a great movie!
  88. Sonja
    Apr 14, 2005
    One of those movies that's so good, you wish you could keep on seeing it for the first time!
  89. JamesE.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Fantastic. Alexander Payne is one of the best filmmakers alive.
  90. EricG.
    Aug 27, 2006
    This movie brings out the emotion of the everyman. The ups and the downs of life crashing and rising one day to the next.To understand this movie would take nothing more than knowing the compassion of mankind.
  91. BenW.
    May 23, 2007
    Its totally unfair to complain about this movie. I loved it!!!!! it was just so great all the way through. Im only 16 so i dont know if that has anything tgo do with it but its really fantastic
  92. TroyP.
    Oct 17, 2008
    This movie is excellent! An amazing script with great acting. It touches on so many real life issues and does so in such a sutly humorous way. I feel that many people will not understand the greatness of this movie, but it is a masterpiece!!!
  93. StanleyJ.
    Nov 27, 2004
    Reviewers are absolutely right, film just leaves a good taste in your mouth. No cheap movie stuff here, just a good simple story with great actors. Well done.
  94. JoeyM.
    Nov 29, 2004
    I went into this movie with low expectations. From what I had been told by friends, the critics were wrong - it was long and dull. of course, these are friends who liked "Garfield," but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Anyhow, turns out, my opinion of the movie matched the critics more closely than my negative friends. "Sideways" is a movie, IMO, about dealing with the I went into this movie with low expectations. From what I had been told by friends, the critics were wrong - it was long and dull. of course, these are friends who liked "Garfield," but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Anyhow, turns out, my opinion of the movie matched the critics more closely than my negative friends. "Sideways" is a movie, IMO, about dealing with the disappointments of middle age as seen through the adventures of two guys who haven't really fully grown up. Over the course of the film, we see that the kind of adolescent games they probably used to play when they were freshmen year roommates in college have some pretty major real world repurcusions when played by adults. Paul Giamatti is typically excellent as Miles, a writer and alchoholic who has found himself stuck in a mind numbing job with only a failed relationship and unpublished novel to show for his 30 odd years of life. I have rarely empathized so much with a character in a movie. Howver, I think many people will have had to have experienced what he is experiencing to feel the same way. Outstanding performances by all the leads made for some scenes I found unforgettable - notably one where Giamatti has to recover a lost wallet. Sure, the movie won't be for everyone - what movie is? None-the-less, I found it to be one of the finest I've seen this year. Expand
  95. VinceH.
    Dec 13, 2004
    I am a huge Alexander Payne fan (all his previous films have been on my Top Ten lists each year I saw them) and he continues a remarkable streak of films that are so humane and warm and funny and real and adult that any filmgoer should thank their lucky stars Payne is making movies for us to enjoy. Don't get me wrong, there are many great American filmmakers currently at work, but I am a huge Alexander Payne fan (all his previous films have been on my Top Ten lists each year I saw them) and he continues a remarkable streak of films that are so humane and warm and funny and real and adult that any filmgoer should thank their lucky stars Payne is making movies for us to enjoy. Don't get me wrong, there are many great American filmmakers currently at work, but none as consistent as Payne. He has yet to make ONE SINGLE WEAK film yet. He has not made many, granted, but they are all good. There are so many miracles contained within this film that an in-depth review would take up this whole page, so I will just say that it is one of the best movies of the year and one of the best movies ever made about male friendship. I'd recommend this movie to anyone who has had a close male friend for a long time and dare them not to walk away from this film having not related to either Jack or Miles. Payne perfectly capture the frustration, jealousy, anger, love, appreciaton, and dependence that two friends can have. Jack and Miles are the two fully realized male characters portrayed in a film in years, and it would be a TRAVESTY if this didn't win the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay (no other movie comes close, and if Marber wins for "Closer" I will kill someone). All the acting is great, but top honors go to Thomas Haden Church who is FANTASTIC every moment here, as well as Virginia Madsen and Sandra Oh. This is clearly the best ensemble acting of the year for sure. Enough from me, just forget about "Alexander" or "Christmas with the Kranks" or "Blade: Trinity" and find a local indie theater playing this. You won't regret it. Expand
  96. Boybees
    Dec 14, 2004
    This is a beautiful, wry, evocative film. It radiates more humanity than any film I?ve seen in quite a while. The reviewers below who have given it ?1? and ?0? are idiots, plain and simple. I?d like to see an IQ comparison between those who appreciate this film, and those who label it a ?mess? and a ?bore?. There?d be a huge gap, favoring the former group.
  97. ChadS.
    Dec 26, 2004
    So how did these two guys end up being friends? When(Miles) tells us, I thought to myself, of course. It's a perfect detail, one of many in this "Odd Couple" for the millenium. "Sideways" is cathartic. The laughs this film elicits are genuine. You have to laugh, unlike other films where you laugh just to prove you're not humorless. "Sideways" is the rare film that has characters So how did these two guys end up being friends? When(Miles) tells us, I thought to myself, of course. It's a perfect detail, one of many in this "Odd Couple" for the millenium. "Sideways" is cathartic. The laughs this film elicits are genuine. You have to laugh, unlike other films where you laugh just to prove you're not humorless. "Sideways" is the rare film that has characters who are knowledgable about something. Even if it has to be wine, it's great to eavesdrop on other people's passions. "Sideways" is vaguely similar to "Almost Famous". Like the Crowe film, there's a road movie element and Payne has a lot to say about the decline of contemporary culture in its secondary narrative. Almost by default, "Sideways" is the best American film of 2004. Expand
  98. JoeB
    Dec 22, 2005
    This is what movies should be: well-acted, well-directed, and with great pacing. Though not laugh-out-loud funny, it had subtle humor for the real thinker. Not the 'every man's movie,' but the best movies never are. Certainly worthy of its reviews. An excellent character study.
  99. Jan 16, 2011
    This is in my top 20 movies of the last decade. It has an amazing script, and no less than three terrific performances by Paul Giamatti (one of the worst snubs in Oscar history) Thomas Hadden Church, and Virginia Madsen. It's very funny, entertaining, and made wine country a fascinating topic for someone like me who had no interest on the subject. It's purely about life and the choices we make.
  100. May 10, 2011
    This movie is phenomenal. It's humor is incredibly consistent and contains a performance from Paul Giamatti that won't be topped for ages. I loved this movie and would recommend it to anyone

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A beautifully observed, small-scale study of personal foibles, romantic uncertainty and two sides of the sadly predictable male animal.
  2. Hysterically funny yet melancholy comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    In Sideways, Payne has created four of the most lived-in, indelible characters in recent American movies. This deliciously bittersweet movie makes magic out of the quotidian.