Sin City

8.4

1. Aug 14, 2011
    I loved the way the it is presented; a pulp noir thing. I never read the comic so I really didn't know what I was in for when I decided to watch this and I am glad I did. The violence is a bit over the top but it's no big deal, it acts as part of the city helping boost the fact that it's 'Sin City'
  2. Jul 21, 2014
    Sin City is grisly, violent, and over-the-top in all the best ways. The stunning cinematography, taught direction, and electrifying script make it one of the best modern film noirs.
  3. May 24, 2013
    Spilt into chapters Sin City is a faithful adaptation of three of Frank Millers violent, but brilliantly written, Sin City stories. Shot largely in black and white using Millers graphic novels as story boards director Rodriguez has been able to create a visual feast the likes of which still hasn't been matched.

Fortunately the stories themselves are able to match the visuals with each

Fortunately the stories themselves are able to match the visuals with each of the three fast-paced and engaging chapters providing truly memorable heroes and villains that take full advantage of the impressively talented cast. An all out success just sit back and enjoy two hours of fantastic entertainment.
  4. SBoerresen
    Aug 5, 2005
    I really didn't want to see this at first, because of the whole black and white thing. But i saw it and i do not regrett it at all. This movie was amazing. It isn't that violent, there are many other movies which are far more violent than Sin City. Actually this movie got a 15 rating in Norway, (which is almost the same as a PG13 rating in the US.
  5. JeffM.
    Apr 2, 2005
    If I could give this movie a zillon rating, I would! It is, by far, the best movie I've ever, ever seen! I am still in chills over such a wonderful journey of a movie experience. When I was watching this movie, I knew I was experiencing something special. Frank Miller, one of my favorite authors, was all over the production of this film - and it paid off brilliantly. Miller himself If I could give this movie a zillon rating, I would! It is, by far, the best movie I've ever, ever seen! I am still in chills over such a wonderful journey of a movie experience. When I was watching this movie, I knew I was experiencing something special. Frank Miller, one of my favorite authors, was all over the production of this film - and it paid off brilliantly. Miller himself is brilliant, as the stories painlessly translated to film. I'm not kidding, this is the greatest movie I've ever seen. The angles, the shots, everything. The film is unique; I can't think of any movie that was like this. Put it this way: Metropolis is to sci-fi as Nosferatu is to horror as Sin City is to Noir. I don't know what else to say. I am so happy that Miller's vision was not screwed up by stupid executives who don't even know the first thing about storytelling. Many Hollywood films aren't so lucky, unfortunately. I don't want to end this on a sad note. I just wanna say thank you so much! Thank you for making this movie and showing me that not all Hollywood movies have to suck and only independent or foreign movies rock. I'm still on a high from this movie!!! I just want to shout to the world and tell everyone to see this movie! It's amazing what we people can come up with. Thank you Frank Miller! Expand
  6. RichardG.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Movie should make a person FEEL. And this movie made us feel. We laughed we awed, and it was good. The movie is very interesting,and will keep you glued. THIS IS WHAT MOVIES ARE MEANT TO DO; to put you in another place, another time, not of this world, and this movie acomplishes it perfectly. The pacing of the movie is the best I've seen in the last 3 years. In the begining the movie Movie should make a person FEEL. And this movie made us feel. We laughed we awed, and it was good. The movie is very interesting,and will keep you glued. THIS IS WHAT MOVIES ARE MEANT TO DO; to put you in another place, another time, not of this world, and this movie acomplishes it perfectly. The pacing of the movie is the best I've seen in the last 3 years. In the begining the movie as a camp 1920s thing about it, but after 5 minutes, all that is gone, and the story engulfs you and takes you away. See this one and have a good energetic action-filled experience. Expand
  7. DanC.
    Aug 31, 2005
    10 for style, but only a 5 for plot, yielding about a 7 overall. Didn't love it, but it was definitely original. Mickey Rourke is outstanding. Part 3 is repetitive, but then again Bruce Willis is a fine actor, so he pulled me in. Some of the violence was too much for me.
  8. KeenanS.
    Jun 25, 2009
    One of the five best films I've ever seen, Sin City is a masterpiece of monumental proportions. The only reason people are giving this film bad reviews is because they have no taste, thought it was boring, and hated how it represented everything wrong with society. That's what the purpose of it is, it represents what is wrong with society and isn't far from reality. This One of the five best films I've ever seen, Sin City is a masterpiece of monumental proportions. The only reason people are giving this film bad reviews is because they have no taste, thought it was boring, and hated how it represented everything wrong with society. That's what the purpose of it is, it represents what is wrong with society and isn't far from reality. This film was amazing throughout and if you get pissed at films that show the dark side of human nature, then just walk away. If you actually have taste in films and have no problems with films that aren't interested in happy endings or showing a good side of humanity, then this is quite the sight. It's determined to be stylish and feel realistic. BEST COMIC BOOK FILM EVER. Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2011
    Sin City is, in every respect, a masterpiece of kistch. Simultaneously celebrating shallowness and gratuitousness while offering twisted spins on the themes of noir stories, Robert Rodriguez (and Frank Miller, but he is not technically a director of this film) paints a pulp art story then enjoys itself, while allowing the audience to enjoy it. Provided you have a strong stomach.
  10. Sep 12, 2014
    Even if I am not familiar with the comics, I enjoyed this enough not to get bored. The way the story was built is interesting, all the little stories making a one, big entity. Also, the use of colors was unique.
  11. Aug 25, 2014
    Expected so much more from this one. Sin City starts out intriguing, but in the middle gets so terrible I had to actually fast forward through parts of it and fight the urge to press stop and quit watching it. The problem, obviously, is not with the graphic presentation - it's stylish and sometimes very gory. Also gotta take note of the female cast - Jessica Alba is adorable, and othersExpected so much more from this one. Sin City starts out intriguing, but in the middle gets so terrible I had to actually fast forward through parts of it and fight the urge to press stop and quit watching it. The problem, obviously, is not with the graphic presentation - it's stylish and sometimes very gory. Also gotta take note of the female cast - Jessica Alba is adorable, and others (especially Carla Gugino, to my surprise) are outright hot. (Boobs included) But a movie isn't all about its presentation (and boobs), it's also very much about the plot, and it's pretty damn awful here. The main problem are the characters and the overall goofy comicbook crap that it's based on. Mickey Rourke's ugly-as- **** character throwing people like he's superpowered, Clive Owen jumping down buildings, creepy cannibalistic Elijah Wood, people surviving totally grave wounds and some ugly disgusting yellow freak are ridiculous and just plain stupid.
    It is impossible not to see how hard this tries to be "noir". with all the black-and-white colouring, constant rain or snow and neverending inner monologues. But it tries too hard, not achieving much. What the movie lacks is a good source to be based on - maybe some detective novel, some real literature, not this comic book junk from Mr. Miller, who can hardly be called a writer.
    Only good thing is that now I know that I'm in no way spending money on a cinema ticket to the Dame to Kill For, despite its boob-cast now including Eva Green.
  12. Jul 15, 2014
    After watching Sin City for the first time it would be a huge understatement to say that I am excited for "A Dame to Kill For" later this year! This movie was plain awesome! Everything from the fantastic characters, the interwoven story lines and the down right jaw dropping visual style; everything was almost exactly how it should be! I can honestly say that this is the first comic bookAfter watching Sin City for the first time it would be a huge understatement to say that I am excited for "A Dame to Kill For" later this year! This movie was plain awesome! Everything from the fantastic characters, the interwoven story lines and the down right jaw dropping visual style; everything was almost exactly how it should be! I can honestly say that this is the first comic book films I have seen where the pages were not only adapted but truly brought to life! Expand
  13. Jun 12, 2014
    The sheer faithfulness of the movie to the comic book series is evident, and has my respect from before the movie even begins. The stylized neo-noir color, cinematography, and editing is added with stellar acting and an actual plot. The violence is turned into its own art form, which up until this film, I only thought Tarantino could pull off.
  14. Dec 21, 2014
    The film is split into 3 shorter stories. One of which, "That Yellow Bastard" is tense, gripping, and excellently directed. The second, "The Hard Goodbye" falls short, but is still pretty entertaining. The third, "The Big Fat Kill" is absolutely ridiculous and horrible. The whole experience levels out to be something quite shallow and underwhelming, and by the end, you feel like RobertThe film is split into 3 shorter stories. One of which, "That Yellow Bastard" is tense, gripping, and excellently directed. The second, "The Hard Goodbye" falls short, but is still pretty entertaining. The third, "The Big Fat Kill" is absolutely ridiculous and horrible. The whole experience levels out to be something quite shallow and underwhelming, and by the end, you feel like Robert Rodriguez is just throwing blood all over the viewer's face saying "LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!" Definitely not really worth watching, unless you can find "That Yellow Bastard" as a standalone short film. Expand
  15. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Sin City" is a very good movie with intense action. It really goes all in on showing how bad the crime scene is there. I especially like the narrative point of view character's in it. I also like that in the movie there are no limits in how bad the crimes really are at all. It does a great job in delivering certain items or people to be different color from the rest to point them out. The cast does a great job especially Clive Owen in his performance. Overall this is a dark movie, with violence and corruption which is what the movie is supposed to represent and they do an excellent job at it. Expand
  16. Sep 24, 2011
    "Sin City", a neo noir movie based on the graphic novel, is a beautiful film. It films in glorious black and white with rich story segments and artistic brutality. Simply a dazzling crime movie that has everything one craves for.
  17. Dec 19, 2011
    While the film does start out interesting, It gets pretty old and boring the further you get into it. Also the stories are rather stupid and pretty generic, They lack interest as well. Also the acting is well below what I expected from the star studded cast. It looks good but thats about it.
  18. SteveB.
    Oct 1, 2005
    I expected to see alot more from this movie, really i expected the best but it didn't deliver. It's hard to rate cause the movies 3 storys in one. The frist one was like having a open hart surgery and the last one was not much better. The second one was actully prity frigen good, the the hole movie was just and extened vertion of the second story I may have given it a 8 or 9. I expected to see alot more from this movie, really i expected the best but it didn't deliver. It's hard to rate cause the movies 3 storys in one. The frist one was like having a open hart surgery and the last one was not much better. The second one was actully prity frigen good, the the hole movie was just and extened vertion of the second story I may have given it a 8 or 9. The worst thing was the Narration, the main chariture narrarates his own story. Which sounds cool but then you find out they all sound like Sam Spade and have cheesy diologe. Oh and the gore was enofe to make Jason from Friday the 13th sick. If they had cut back on the crudy narration and gore it would have been grate, but these 2 things murdered the film. Expand
  19. J.Q.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This is the kind of vile, ridiculously brutal movie made by a country that can't win real wars, and where economic failure causes its citizens to fantasize about ultraviolence. Sixty years ago Americans fought their wars with honor, and for the right reasons, but made movies that respected human dignity. We're flushing ourselves down the toilet of history.
  20. DavidK
    Apr 7, 2005
    The filming technique is awesome! The movie should be rated NC-17 (how it ever got an "R" rating is amazing). However, I am deeply concerned with the reviews and user ratings. Have the moral values of America actually dropped this low. The movie is a basic rape of your mind. Total / relentless violence and sex for 2 hours. The implication of raping an 11 year old girl - I was stunned, The filming technique is awesome! The movie should be rated NC-17 (how it ever got an "R" rating is amazing). However, I am deeply concerned with the reviews and user ratings. Have the moral values of America actually dropped this low. The movie is a basic rape of your mind. Total / relentless violence and sex for 2 hours. The implication of raping an 11 year old girl - I was stunned, they would even cross this bridge. For people to praise this movie is shocking. You can think it is "just a movie" and that I am taking it way to seriously. But, if you honestly felt "entertained" by this movie, then our society is in trouble! Expand
  21. JB
    Apr 2, 2005
    I gave it a one because it is an actual movie. There were maybe 2 good dialogue bits in the movie. The rest was trite. The violence was uninspired. The critics have been bought off. This movie is hype. Visually stunning??? "Boring" is more like it. Sky Captain was way better. The people giving this "10s" are hired by a PR firm I bet. A damn shame.
  22. SeanY.
    Apr 5, 2005
    This movie stunk. I luv comic books, and hated this movie. I feel like one of my parents saying this, but I really almost walked out on it. I thought it was real sick. I don't find people getting hurt, tortured and killed "funny" and I worry about people who do find it funny. I also think that the movie is also full of Catholic bigotry. Weird how none of the critics bring that up.
  23. JakeR
    Apr 12, 2005
    This is good? This is even a movie? The only people I see liking this crap are either the marketing/pr team behind the movie or angry male comic book dorks who can't get girls and therefore hate all women. Don't be fooled by the hype, this so-called movie is terrible. I wish someone had warned me about this one.
  24. Arturo
    Apr 19, 2005
    Awful, noisy mess witout a decent plot.
  25. Heather
    Blah.
  26. TonyG.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Possibly the worst waste of film I have seen in the past decade. A pointless plot (does "this doesn't make sense" mean anything tho these guys, sheesh). Gratuiotuous violence. If you dig gross and gore, then I suppose you and your adolescent tribe can put down your Pokey-Man long enough to sneak in and sit through this crap, so you can brag to your friends about the "sword through Possibly the worst waste of film I have seen in the past decade. A pointless plot (does "this doesn't make sense" mean anything tho these guys, sheesh). Gratuiotuous violence. If you dig gross and gore, then I suppose you and your adolescent tribe can put down your Pokey-Man long enough to sneak in and sit through this crap, so you can brag to your friends about the "sword through the eye shot" or whatever crap it is entertains you. Then, visit a therapist, since that's what is needed next... Oh. the acting was pretty good overall, and the visual effects / look and feel was great. 1.2 on a scale of 1-5. Expand
  27. MarkB.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Visually, this movie is a 10. Yet, the story is boring and trite. It does not build any great affection for any of the characters in the three separate stories. Moreover, there is no coherent integration of these discrete stories. Thus, you are left rather unfulfilled - waiting for the big payoff that never comes. The campy gore quickly becomes gratuitous and the dialogue is repetitive. Visually, this movie is a 10. Yet, the story is boring and trite. It does not build any great affection for any of the characters in the three separate stories. Moreover, there is no coherent integration of these discrete stories. Thus, you are left rather unfulfilled - waiting for the big payoff that never comes. The campy gore quickly becomes gratuitous and the dialogue is repetitive. Metaphors are great but there is no need to keep repeating the exact same one over and over again. Expand
  28. RogerR.
    May 8, 2006
    Definatley one of the worst movies i have ever seen.
  29. NathanT.
    Sep 19, 2006
    Easily the sickest mainstream movie of 2005 was "Sin City." This is a duller than dull, grosser than gross adaptation of Frank Miller's adored graphic novels. But the movie, which features an all-star cast (Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, and on and on), is so sleazy and frankly boring that by the end of its two hours of screen time I feel Easily the sickest mainstream movie of 2005 was "Sin City." This is a duller than dull, grosser than gross adaptation of Frank Miller's adored graphic novels. But the movie, which features an all-star cast (Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, and on and on), is so sleazy and frankly boring that by the end of its two hours of screen time I feel exhausted and disgusted. Not since "Batman Returns" has a director been so fixated on creating moods and emulating creepy noir settings at the expense of storytelling that is coherent and enthralling. Director Robert Rodriguez (working with Quentin Tarantino) settles for misogynistic material that is amazing for the eyes to behold. But since when has that been enough? Working with Tarantino is a major tip-off to this movies abundance of problems. I loved "Kill Bill 2", thought it was among the best films of 2004. But there is a joy to the "Kill Bill" movies; a zeal for exhilarating movie making that calls to mind the joyful destruction of "Goodfellas" and those movies actually had strongly feminine proclivities. There is no joy, no fun, and no pleasure in "Sin City" (except for people who dig seeing the 50th head chopped off or women slapped around). Even if you can look past that there still isn't much to marvel at. Worse than the triumph of style over substance, "Sin City" champions bad attitude over ideas. Expand
  30. MalcolmM.
    Mar 30, 2007
    I'm not offended by nudity, and violence is okay if the flim has some other redeeming qualities. Sin City has no redeeming qualities. If Sin City is representative of modern comics I'm glad I gave up reading comics in my teens. Sin City isn't simply bad, it's disgusting.

The most visually inventive comic book adaptation to make its way to a movie screen.
  2. Eye-popping yet ultimately thin and shallow as a page in a graphic novel.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For geeks, action freaks and sensation-seeking teenage boys of all ages, the price of admission will provide a one-way ticket to hard-boiled heaven.