7.2

1. Oct 12, 2012
    After a once-successful author decides to move his family into a house where a heinous murder took place, things start to get weird. That is great for the viewer and bad for the family. This film is a nightmarish voyage into the past of unsolved murders and how the missing link doesn't always need to be found. The chills are perfectly timed and the pace of this thrilling horror film is perfect, weaving in and out of states of undeniable tension with little effort. Ethan Hawke is superb as the the distraught author. This isn't a by-the-numbers genre piece. It packs soe interesting surprises. And it doesn't hold back on the thrills, chills, and gore. For the most part, this is what horror should be. The flaw, and not really a big one, is that yet again a horror movie features characters that do not act rationally. Still, that's a minor setback to an otherwise perfect gem of taught horror. Expand
  2. Nov 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. This film is incredible, the best film I've seen all year, it takes a lot to make me jump in a horror movie and this one made me jump twice in my books that's impressive. I was a bit skeptical at first but this film proved to be worth my time, this film escapes the cliche of a psycho murderer and I thought it was quite a clever plot although I think that it was a bit weird that they have the youngest child possessed by some sort of cult and killing their family members in gruesome bloody ways. However it was clever because no-one would suspect a child who is portrayed as innocent an sane who then disappears after murdering their family and have you believe that it was a murder and child abduction case. I also thought the mask was incredible and creepy. Loved this film. Collapse
  3. Feb 21, 2013
    Sinister is a very creepy and jumpy film! I definitely had nightmares for a few days! If you're into the horror genre, you wouldn't want to miss out on Sinister!
  4. Nov 23, 2012
    By far one of the best horror movies made in 2012. The action begins to build up right from the beginning and the suspense makes you watch it until the end. It is the kind of movie that lets you know when you will get scared, but makes sure you will still jump or scream. Even if there is nothing surprising in the story, the music and the dark atmosphere transform the movie into a spooky experience. Expand
  5. Jul 21, 2013
    Not many horror movies make the jeeper creepers jump out of me, but this one definitely takes the cake. The flow from scene to scene and the dramatic sounds and camera angles coincided with each other very well. I would recommend this movie to anyone that wants a late night scare.
  6. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sinister is a 2012 horror film directed by Scott Derrickson (The Exorcism of Emily Rose) with Ethan Hawke and Vincent D'Onofrio.
    The film is about Oswalt Ellison, a writer of chronicles black that, with the book Kentucky Blood, managed to get a huge success, but now his latest books have not been successful and then to find a new story that can give him the same success he had with Kentucky Blood, Ellison decided to move his family to a house in King Country, where a family was hanged on a tree branch while the youngest child was gone. While he wanders the house, Ellison is a black box in the attic that includes home movies amateur super 8 that show the death of the family who lived in that house before he and other families killed in the past. From that moment Ellison will have to deal with mysterious forces and disturbing.
    Sinister does not have a particularly original plot, indeed, one can say that it is the plot of many other horror movies, but the thing that makes this film is really nice the way it was done. Scott Derrickson proved to be a good director succeeding, so also original to disturb and scare us (just think of the movies, which displays the killings of other families) and also manages to make good use of cliches. Also excellent ending that manages to scare the viewer even more.
  7. Feb 2, 2013
    A solid Thriller that will have you sitting in fear for most of the movie! It's a fairly simplistic plot but has you guessing throughout it as to what is actually going on in this house and with author Ellison Oswalt. The 'bughuul' is rather terrifying but he is nothing compared to a crop of kids that will scare the sh!t out of you! It's nothing that hasn't been done before but there are some fresh ideas in here that made it very enjoyable to watch, but probably don't watch it alone! Expand
  8. Aug 11, 2013
    This movie is awesome. The idea is commonly used but they did it in a way that works. The story is pretty simple and easy to follow but that doesn't make it so that the story sucks. This movie doesn't run on jump scares and instead runs on creepy music/atmosphere which I think they pulled off very well the camera effects like Film Grain and dark lighting give the whole movie a really creepy feeling.

Overall if your a horror fan and your looking for something good, this is the movie for you!
  9. Aug 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Don't worry, daddy. I'll make you famous again." - Ashley

Another horror movie . I like it because is very creepy and with jump scares.

***********
  10. Mar 18, 2013
    rented this in red box not sure what it would be like... i was very suprised that it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole movie. great story and was very creepy. its been a while since ive seen a movie that creepy.
  11. Feb 19, 2013
    This movie is mysterious and chilling. The very core of supernatural horror movies invoking the late Stanley Kubrick's The shinning" in it's spine tingling thrills.
  12. Mar 15, 2013
    I saw this movie at a Halloween movie marathon in the theater and Sinister was the night's highlight. It easily outclassed the movies Paranormal Activity 4, The Awakening and Silent House i also saw that night. Sinister kept me on the edge of my chair and wouldn't let me go. The suspense was so good i felt re leaved when the dawn approached the next morning and felt anxiety at sunset. It's true that most scares are jump scares but that's because there is so much suspense you just automatically launch yourself from your chair. I am a mayor psychological horror/thriller movie fan and am always looking for a new scary/disturbing experience. And this movie was great enough to see it 2 times in the theaters. There was only one thing that spoiled this experience a little and that was the movie trailer. It just shows and spoils many important events so that you know what is going to happen when you are watching the movie. This is the reason i don't wanna watch movie trailers again. So don't watch the trailer. Final Verdict: I'd say this is the best horror/thriller movie of 2012. Expand
  13. May 2, 2014
    This horror flick stood out to me, I started out with no expectations what so ever... Sinister nailed it, it really got me thinking and pondering of what supernatural means to me. Being a Horror film buff, this movie's script seems edgy, bold, different and smart. (In my opinion, of course)... I loved everything about this film! A well written script, an amazing director, Scott Derrickson and Cinematographer, Chris Norr who did an amazing job Expand
  14. Jun 25, 2013
    Best horror movie I have ever seen. It was so scary I had to turn the lights on! The music is particularly effective, being low bassy and menacing. The found footage is very creepy, and having no sound makes it worse. I did not even recognise Ziggy from The Wire! I only saw his name afterwards.
  15. Jul 24, 2013
    I really like this movie, i recommend this to all people who like creepy, mysterious movies. It was pretty there were scenes which creeped me out and that's what i love about Horror-movies.
  16. Jan 19, 2014
    'Sinister' is a creepy horror movie lover's delight. The opening sequence sets the tone of the movie. Ethan Hawk's performance, as a once famous crime writer who now struggles for another best seller, is near perfect. The ambient electronic music score is very unsettling which adds to the fright factor. Amateur Super 8 film footage of different brutal murders, which are linked together, throughout the country over a 50 year timespan imply serial killings and run through an old film projector adds even more to the tone of the movie's creepiness. Sinister is thoroughly engrossing and a true fright fest that had me jumping in my seat! But it's the climax that's the final killer that sets this movie above many other horror films. Expand
  17. Sep 16, 2014
    Sinister is one of creepiest dangerous , criminal acts movies of the year 2012 you could tell this is the conjuring vibe you can tell by the music this is the most shocking film by Scott Derickson that i have ever seen. But to be honest its a little bit better then James Wan's The Conjuring. (but honestly nothing is better then the conjuring ) I think that this more messed up then Saw. But if you like Saw , Insidious then watch the horror's legend horror film ' Sinister '. Grade A+ Expand
  18. Apr 8, 2014
    This is perhaps one of the best horror movies ever made in a long time. The movie does not solely rely on jump-scares but more on the intense creepy and disturbing factor. However, whenever jump-scares are present, it is indeed scary! Great acting, original plot, and unique concept. A sequel must be made!
  19. Jun 12, 2014
    I have to give this a movie a 10 rating. Sinister is a very dark movie, creepy, spine tingling. This is the only movie that I have watch in the past ten years that spooked me. A perfect dark story line with an equally dark soundtrack makes this movie one of my favorites.

1. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Oct 23, 2012
    Now this is a scary movie. And, given that it's a horror film, that means it's a good one. [18 Oct 2012]
  2. Reviewed by: Joshua Rothkopf
    Oct 16, 2012
    Sinister has so much going for it - adult psychology, a great bitchfest of a marital meltdown - that you wince when it finally makes some rather dull choices involving the supernatural.
    Sinister did something I thought would be impossible: It made this lifelong horror freak abhor horror movies.