7.5

1. Sep 2, 2014
    James Bond is back and better than ever. Skyfall is quite possibly one of the finest Bond flicks to date. It combines deep emotion with action sequences far superior to any other spy-thrillers out there. Leave it to Sam Mendes!
  2. Aug 24, 2014
    Another Bond film with Daniel Craig, following in the footsteps of the previous two in some sense.

There's thrilling action and stunts (which sometimes feel a bit drawn-out and attempts to seek a new high that hasn't been done yet). Bond gets shot, beaten up, all that same old jazz.

I liked the new Q - he gave the story a nice additional character you looked forward to seeing again,
    especially when he became more invested in the story.

Also, I liked the villain, Silva, although I'm not sure I completely understood his motivations and inner struggles even after the movie. (However, we can thank him for one of the best gay moments on film for a long time, so yay o/ for that!)

All in all this doesn't differ from the other Bond films in plot, style or pace. You've seen the others, you've seen this, but they always have some new tricks up their sleeve and I felt pretty good after seeing this film so it delivered all the necessary ingredients.

One thing, though: they should get rid of the unnecessary Bond girls. Just saying. No important story elements there (even if Naomie Harris' role was well integrated, for once).
  3. Jul 29, 2014
    Much more than another mindless James Bond movie, "Skyfall" is an action flick that can be readily counted as a piece of art. Daniel Craig seems very familiar with his role, and there is some enjoyable originality in his approach to the James Bond character. There are wonderfully developed motifs, such as modern versus traditional, technology versus technique, except for the standard good versus evil trite, and it is indeed much more thoughtful than any of the previous "007" films. Expand
  4. Jul 22, 2014
    This Bond movie is probably one of worst I've seen to be quite honest. I don't have much of problem with the actors as they get the job done; it's more so with the movie itself. I had no clue what was happening throughout the entire movie, and I wasn't going to watch it a second time to try and understand what the hell happened. This movie's villain is probably one of the lamest I've seen in a bond film, shameful and weak is what it is. Comparing this movie to it's predecessor, Casino Royale, is like comparing a brass brick to a golden brick. This movie without a doubt is bad, from it's sheer boring feel, to it's nonsensical story. Watch any other Bond film. Expand
  5. Jul 15, 2014
    Skyfall is nothing less than an achievement, not just for action films, but for bond films in general. It is as much of a progression as Casino Royale was. These are how bonds need to be made, they are brilliant. A veteran franchise like this still has a bright future, and I can’t wait to see what Hollywood will do with the next one.
  6. May 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was better than the original bond movies. In the End, there was a huge house explosion that was so big it was very loud. Adele was good in the song too. Expand
  7. Ozy
    Apr 15, 2014
    I liked the fact that it showed the toll bond had accumulated over the years. But I expected him to snap out of his lonely old man state of mind and kick some ass. In all honesty the movie felt like it should have instead been the first 15minutes of another epic bond film.
  8. Mar 22, 2014
    i seen all james bond movies . sometimes i think why is a spy movie all about james bond but some are not . skyfall is one of a james bond bad ass movies i seen . i did like judi dench as well in this film .
  9. Mar 8, 2014
    It's exciting, gripping, and thrilling. The acting was great, the script was well-written, it was thoughtful, and it's just really fun. One thing still troubles me though: How the hell did Bond survive that fall though? I gotta call BS on that.
  10. Mar 4, 2014
    Really good for a mind-numbing thrill film, but not the best Bond screenplay. With hindsight as well, unraveling the film, the screenplay isn't all that great and can be at times slightly pretentious. However, great cinematography, a great soundtrack and a great performance from Bardem are its main positives, and overall it does make for an albeit solid addition to the series.
  11. Mar 3, 2014
    This is one of the worst Bonds movies ever. The villain is a joke, a blond effeminate computer genius with no motivation beyond petty revenge. The "old people are sexy too" theme is just as boring here as it was in the fourth Indiana Jones movie. The dozens of plot holes gape so wide that they swallow the entire movie. They could have put the explosions, chases, and fights in any order, and the story would make just as much sense. Expand
  12. Dec 17, 2013
    WORST BOND I HAVE EVER SEEN. Craig is a good actor (see Layer Cake), Casino Royale was good (almost as good as Goldeneye...not the game, though...CLASSIC!), and Quantum was a let-down, comparatively, but compared to Skyfall, as masterpiece. The absurdity of this movie's plot-line is only rivaled by the absurdity of the money invested in it and the degree of claimed positive reception...It's so bad, I can't even sort out what, specifically to criticize. All I can say to summarize is that the fact that this film received such positive reviews compared to the other contemporary "JB" (James Bond/Jason Bourne) film, Bourne Legacy's relatively poor critical reception speaks volumes about the state of our society...Skyfall was utter rubbish, whilst as good as the Damon Bourne films were, Legacy was, to an objective reviewer, superior to even those, and yet received mixed to poor reviews...what a racket. Here's hoping Barbara Broccoli has the wisdom to recruit Paul Greengrass for Bond XXIV. Wake up S(m)erfs. Expand
  13. Dec 11, 2013
    Apparently a lot of metacritic users think SKYFALL is a terrible movie, but I found it to be a lot better than any of Daniel Craig's previous outings as Agent 007. The direction is above-average and the cinematography is utterly fantastic for a Bond film. Also of note is the interesting casting esp. Javier Bardem as the bisexual villain. That said, I am still not completely sold on this current oh so serious incarnation, which strives to be oh so dark and murky and au courant, unlike the Bonds of yesteryear, which were a lot more cheeky and comical and fun. Sure, the Cold War was a serious thing, but it didn't hurt to laugh at it, did it? Expand
  14. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. CGI is good, as is typical in modern movies. However, it is also typical for _Bond_ movies to have an epic evil guy. Nuke a major city, disrupt the global economy that is the kind of plan we all come to expect from the Bond's antagonist. But in this movie the bad guy is just a disgruntled former employee on steroids.

What's worse, he did have all the necessary ingredients: a personal island with some satellite communication equipment, an army of well-armed devotees... And what does he do? He just tries to get personal revenge against his former boss by running around with a pistol. That's so... non-epic!
  15. Nov 29, 2013
    Darker and more serious, this Bond installment thrills from start to finish through its suspenseful tone, top-notch acting, witty dialogue and its many action sequences.
  16. Nov 15, 2013
    Wow. So they took my script after all. Only it wasn't a 007 movie. It was a 777 movie. The guy's name is Bomb not Bond. Bomb can't shoot. If he were on a lifeboat and aimed a flair at the sky he'd put a hole right smack dab in the middle of his boat. Chronic boozer, doper, and complainer. Only assigned minor missions like if some disgruntled ex-employee leaked some names, then that would go to Bomb. Nothing world-threatening. That's reserved for the doulbe 0's like Bond. Goes around with a grim look on his face like if he were about to be cremated or spliced in half, that's something to be concerned about. Actually thinks HE'S more important than his mission, and takes an unauthorized vacation to pout about it after finding out he's not.

A mistake hire. When given the choice between going to prison for being a combination peeping tom raincoat exposer or joining the service, took the service. Reason he got the option was a former foster kid of the Bosslady's just like the ex-employee he was chasing.

Changed the ending tho. After finding out he got the Bosslady killed my script had both his Volks and his ars parked on the grars. And a policy change NO MORE HIRING RELATIVES.

This is not a Bond.

This is a Bomb.
  17. Oct 4, 2013
    I don't want to give it a 2 but it's just in the end my score. Believe it or not, I haven't watched many Bond movies. They just haven't worked for me somehow. They're supposed to have gadgets, a destroy the world in a way plot, humour, and most of all, action. Most of the action scenes were less than a minute and took a while for the next one to come. Bond has no weapons, and I know that's the point this time, but it just didn't work. And the cast has pretty much no chemistry or any sign of having life outside work. The action scenes at the end were nice, though. Expand
  18. Sep 27, 2013
    Skyfall has no heart. The actors seem like robots with flat performances. Nobody smiles much and its not funny or entertaining.
    Bad color work. Every scene looks like a photoshop filter. Every scene is bathed in an oompa loompa orange glow.
    The characters, plot, and dialogue are quite simply boring due lack of complexity and mystery.
    The music isn't quite exciting enough, but it matches
    the slow pacing.
    Politically tiresome. Having M and Bond on poor terms, then a bad relationship with the agency AND his other field agent was quite lame.
    The movie is Lord of the Rings long (almost 3 hours) without any of the epic scale and depth. Its so slow its hard to follow.
    You don't see the villain until halfway through the movie. This never works in any movie, just like Superman Returns. There should be some back and forth between the villain and good guy in the beginning.

On the plus side there is a few cool vehicle scenes, but nothing I'd spend money only to see.

They should have called it Downfall. While Casino Royale was only OK, the series has been worse and worse. The truth is that Daniel Craig and the production team that did this aren't suave and inventive enough to make a good bond movie. The last people to come up with a good Bond story was EA's Everything or Nothing video game. Don't watch Skyfall.
  19. Sep 24, 2013
    Is this the true Bond? Not 100%, but it does manage to stand alone as one of the greatest productions of all time. Everything about this movie is to a legendary standard. Honestly, it's a legendary movie and you need to seek it out. The reasons why I think this is one of the best movies of all time are for reasons I never knew I wanted. For the most part, I'm not all that interested in the soundtrack in movies, but this one is simply put it, captivating. Adele was the perfect artist to perform 'Skyfall' and it shows but a few minutes into the movie. The performance is plain and simple some of the greatest I have ever seen, which is stand out in the interactions with Daniel Craig's Bond and Javier Bardem's Silva. The scripting is silly in true Bond fashion, which I have no idea why people have not commented on when saying this isn't the true Bond. But what is the true Bond? The true Bond is silly dialogue, taking human like damage, facing his foes with some fear, and being a womaniser. And when we're true to ourselves, the film succeeds in all the categories. This is quite simply one of the best Bond films I've ever seen, if not THE very best. This film is a very rare case, an action-thriller that doesn't even attempt to be overly bad ass, and instead goes for a very realistic plot with a realistic narrative, which is probably what I love the most about 007, it's all carried out realistically, and close to home. It's almost scary, this film has changed my view on life, and made me question my trust in the world. When a film is that impactful and controversial, and had me clapping mere minutes into the movie, I just can't help myself with this one. The final verdict is a perfect score, a 10/10. It really goes to show what a 'Triple A' development can give us. It's been a long time since I've issued a perfect score, not since Toy Story 3 in 2010, making this one of the best films of the decade. Expand
  20. Sep 24, 2013
    The Mrs. and I sat down last night to watch James Bond’s “Skyfall” and fell asleep after an admittedly hilarious opening of nonsensical improbabilities and physical impossibilities. James Bond a heavy equipment operator on a moving train? Funny stuff! Then I nodded off and woke up in time to hear the requisite “Bond, James Bond.” and then went back to sleep. Turns out (spoiler alert) that Mr. Bond is capable of defeating an entire platoon of highly trained, special-forces bad guys. Who knew? Of course, being immune to bullet wounds, oxygen deprivation, hypothermia and Newtonian Physics helps, but still… Looked good if you promise not to think or bring even a modicum of life experience to the viewing. Seriously, a must see for Bond fans plenty of early Bond references but for the rest of us, watch the trailer and call it a night. No stars from this old codger because I slept through most of it. Expand
  21. Sep 20, 2013
    One of the best recent Bonds, Skyfall works great as a drama as well as having some classic Bond action scenes. Daniel Craig is a very good portrayer of Ian Fleming's character, and these movies are the perfect showcases for the actor's talents. Overall, a must-see for Bond fans or anyone else who wants to see a good drama and action movie.
  22. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My favorite 007 till now has been Sean Connery. But in second position I definitely consider Daniel Craig.
    Casino Royale left great impact but Quantum of solace dissapointed.
    Now its skyfall. And its actually a rise again.
    Daniel Craig lived the character of James bond.
    Also, this bond is realistic.
    The script is good.
    Action less but amazing.
    Especially the beginning is outstanding.
    Background score is academy worthy and so it was rewarded.
    Adele sung the score beautifully.
    The villain is quite satisfying.
    All in all, Bond returned with a bang emotionally, and with full charm.
    Must watch!.
  23. Sep 1, 2013
    Its a great film better then the bull last James bond movie, I enjoyed Skyfall yet didn't really like the villain because i really couldn't understand his motives or really understand why he wanted to kill everybody, pretty sure the movie tells us why, but it felt rather dull the story.
  24. Aug 25, 2013
    Guess we're all not seeing the same film here. Couldn't get past the first freakin' action sequence it was just so ridiculous. I mean plausibility has got to count for something people! Also, Daniel Craig always comes off as a hard, German-looking villain type; he's not at all the suave, debonair James Bond that's made the franchise popular since the '60s. Dropped this one hard.
  25. Aug 24, 2013
    Intricate and dramatic but not too much to overlook it's gritty and fun action, 'Skyfall' is one of the top Bond films. Craig is the better Bond, except for Sean Connery. Bardem is in a very accomplished role as this enigmatic, lunatic who keeps thickening the plot as it goes on. I loved this so much, I watched in the movies TWICE.
  26. Aug 17, 2013
    This was a good movie! I`t was interesting the whole way through. I do agree with people who complain about the lack of gadgets, but it was still a good movie.
  27. Jul 16, 2013
    This is one of the BEST Bond films ever made, that brings Bond back after the terrible 'Quantum of Solace'. Bond is brought back after four long years in major style and emotional context that really matches the times. Everything about this film is thrilling- the story is very well written and witty, the acting is top notch (the best cast ever in a Bond film), the music is amazing, the title song is classic Bond and one of the best songs of the series, the villain is truly frightening and threatening, the action is epic, etc. Another perfect Bond film that brought Bond back with a bang. Great, great film. Expand
  28. Jul 7, 2013
    All the hype, all the press, all the praise, would suggest this to be the best Bond ever. Part of me would say; that's probably not a far cry from the truth, yet, it's hardly an accolade worth boasting about either.

Throughout the overdrawn and increasingly sigh worthy decisions made by all the characters in play, it became apparent by the end that Skyfall was at best a bloated,
    nonsensical bore, straining so hard for glory, that it managed to fool the majority of the audience.

Javier Bardem, despite his brilliance as Chigurgh in No Country for Old Men, is completely wasted here. And i'm not sure in which way I mean that, as he clearly looked off his rocker for the entirety of the film. Perhaps that was the point, but I would have thought the writers would have used him wisely, rather than spewing out another camp, ridiculous villain. A complete waste of opportunity and talent.

As for the plot, it struggles along from A to B, as both band and Camp Bond Villain #38 make increasingly unbelievable judgment calls. The finale is perhaps the most laughable standoff I've seen in years. Without any spoiling, Bond, with all his guile and wit, makes the decision to essentially hide in a remote, derelict building.

Well, there'll never find us here... says Bond.

It seems it's not just the audience that are all too happy to dance along to the nonsense.
  29. Jun 30, 2013
    Welcome to the 21st century James Bond! Danielle Craig was superb as Bond in Casino Royal, but Quantum of Solace lacked, well everything. So long cold war, hello cyber terrorism. The days of campy exploding pens and laser watches gives way to a villain who is believable and gadgetry/stunts/props that are relatively believable (willful suspension considered). The acting is superb and the cinematography is carefully created. The 50th anniversary gives me hope that the "Hollywood" brain trust is not completely lost in remakes and sequels than really don't need to be made. Expand
  30. Jun 30, 2013
    I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed when I saw this movie in theatres. But that's partially due to the fact that I had to pee really, really badly, had impossibly high expectations set up, and was worried the whole time that my best friend was hating it because they hate story driven movies. (They did.) But once I saw the movie outside of theatres I was glad to see that I really liked it. It's definitely a very stylish, and extremely well shot movie, but it's also really character driven, especially for a James Bond movie. It has a lot more depth than you would expect. The acting is really good too. Javier Barden (I think that's how you spell it, maybe not) was extremely creepy, not only because of his deformity, but because you weren't quite sure if he... Never mind. That creeps me out just thinking about it, yet alone writing it. Craig probably gives his best performance as Bond so far also. This helps the characters feel very real. The action is well directed and can be fun, but it's not quite as gritty or as common an occurrence as it was in Casino Royale, but that being said, I believe Skyfall to be the better movie overall, and possibly the best Bond movie ever. Mendez definitely took directional inspiration from Nolan, perhaps too much at times, but I like the darker more realistic style that Craig's Bond movies have compared to their ridiculously over the top predecessors. Glad this movie won Oscars. Here's to hoping the next movie is even better, actually reaches my near impossible expectations, and maybe even gets a best picture nomination. Expand
  31. Jun 30, 2013
    This film had the least amount of action of the Bond films I have seen recently. Alot of dialog and plot, which would be good if this wasn't supposed to be a BOND FILM!!!! Almost complete absence of a steamy femme. Best part of this is what happens to M. Never was a fan of hers either.
  32. Jun 28, 2013
    Skyfall is a great movie, full of action, adventure, and, well, more action. The acting is spot on, the villain is well portrayed, and it's a great Bond movie. I only have two gripes with the movie. One, there were barely any Bond gadgets, and that took away from the Bond-ness of the movie. Second, at the beginning of the movie, he's literally brought back to life by the power of sex. What....
    It's still very good. Go see it if you haven't.
  33. Jun 28, 2013
    I hate the story that antagonist's goal is to kill a woman. Do all those things just to kill a woman.
    I hate the last scene, battle at house scene. Always antagonist loose easily, protagonist wins.
  34. Jun 18, 2013
    Okay so is bond #23 everything you hoped for it to be or is it just a huge flop? Haha, you kidding? This film is great. But before I go any farther… …Adele, you, you are what 007 opening credits were made for. Now that I got that out of the way… This film opens up explosively. From the first action scene to the beautiful opening credit sequence you have already gotten your moneys worth. bond #23 is easily the “best looking” one to date. I’m not only talking effects here, I mean lightning and camera work. The use of colour really goes a step forward here, setting the mood perfectly even when locale jumps from one another. Not only that, but for an action film, it knows how to slow down and become even a bit artsy. Let me explain.
    There is a scene in which Bond is chasing “someone”, lets call him, “wood be assassin.” This “wood be assassin” is on a mission of his own. Instead of going in guns blazing, he decides to be very stealthy. While doing so they enter a room beautifully illuminated with blue light; zero sound was used in this scene as well, making it ten times as thrilling, and this is only one example, there are plenty more.
    When Bond meets his enemy for the first time (played by Javier Bardem) The scene also lacks any score of any kind, but to good effect. Instead you hear only two things, Javier’s long menacing metaphor, and the echoing sounds of his footsteps.
    Besides these little details, Skyfall has great performances by Daniel Craig and especially Judi Dench. These two are the highlights of this movie, and by that I mean this story focuses heavily on their relationship and the many details about MI6. This story is easily the strongest one from an emotional standpoint.
    If I have any gripes, one would be the length. I know it’s a Bond film and there are many story details to fit in, and I am a man who can respect slow paced films as long as they benefit the story and or serve a purpose to the suspense/mood of a film. But a few points in the middle of here I found myself wanting the film to progress a bit faster.
    However,
  35. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never written a movie review in my life, but this was so horrible that I created a Metacritic account.

I'm not a James Bond fan, but I know what a James Bond movie is supposed to be like. More importantly, I know when I see a bad movie, and this is a bad movie.

-The Bond girl had about 10 minutes of screen time.
    -There are a lot of pointless scenes and dialogue.
    -The "too old to be a spy" plot is ineffective.
    -The villain is too cartoony (still love Bourdain, though).
    -The movie tries to mimic the Dark Knight trilogy too much.
    see: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/11/skyfall-dark-knight/

And last but not least the movie is too unrealistic. Now, I do understand that action movies are meant to be fun and that you have to let go a little bit to enjoy it. But there are SO many points in the movie that are so implausible that it makes me sick.

I would like to quote user _MB:

Why didn't the badguy just kill Q at home or when he exploded her headquarters? Why didn't Bond ask for a doctor to remove the fragments rather than using a knife and his left hand? Why didn't the bad guy just kill bond, what did he want him for? Why didn't they just hide in the tunnel as the bad guy didn't know it existed? Why did the priest hole lead to no where? Why did Bond walk over the ice when everyone else went around? Where did the ice henchman appear from? Why did Q plug the bad guy's PC into the network rather than an isolated PC? Why did they lock the badguy in a glass room which is locked electronically rather than just use a padlock? When did Bond set off the radio beacon on the island and why didn't the electronics mastermind badguy not have him checked? When did the badguy put the explosives on the roof of the chamber letting the train through, wouldn't he have used his time better, running away? Why didn't they just withdraw all the at risk agents? Why didn't bond shoot him at any point, he'd be tortured for months by the Chinese why would he talk to them? Why was there more screen time dedicated to Judi Dench than for Daniel Craig? Why did bond's face change from Brosnan to Craig yet M's is still Dench? Why would you cut up a perfectly good opening action scene to an old woman moaning in an office ever 30 seconds? Can I get a refund?

Concise, truthful, and hilarious!
  36. Jun 9, 2013
    Anyone that has seen either Casino Royale or Quantum of Solace will know exactly what to expect here. As with all James Bond movies one has to suspend their belief when it comes to the plot but thanks to some excellent action set pieces and good performances from the majority of its cast this latest movie in the long running franchise makes for another entertaining two hours.
  37. Jun 4, 2013
    "Coming off the trashy Quantum Of Solace, Skyfall is the bond everyone has been waiting for, filled with thrill to the minute excitement, impossible obstacle's and one of the best Bond Villains in over a decade. Skyfall is simply a movie you can't miss." A
  38. Jun 3, 2013
    Stripped down of all the Bond usual decorations (girls, chases, gadgets, exotic locations, etc…) Skyfall has a very simple plot: a disgruntled ex-employee wants to take revenge on the employer who dumped him. Unfortunately, and proving once more that Bond films are just appearance over substance, this logic premise falls down the drain at every twist and turn.

So as not to attract
    attention to his plan, the villain steals a top secret list and makes it public. That is definitely the best way to be inconspicuous…. But what the villain wants is simply to be captured and taken into custody, close to his intended victim. Such victim is a frail old lady who presumably can be dispatched very easily, just by taking a trip to London and ambushing her at her house.

However, it turns out that killing the lady is a lot more difficult than it seems and even placing a bomb inside the HQ of the secret service is not up to the task although it spreads serious doubts about the professionalism of MI6.

Added randomly to the mix are bits and pieces from countless other successful movies: Mission: Impossible (the stolen list, which is forgotten half way into the movie), Blade Runner (the stunning Shanghai night scape), Inception (the Oriental casino), and The Silence of the Lamb (Hannibal's glass cage) etc...The result is a boring, overlong mess that does not make much sense.

The villain, played by an embarrassing Bardem wearing a blonde wig, is hardly scary at all. He acts like a rejected child who wants to attract the attention of his mummy. Bond is weary and demotivated (and so are we, at this stage). He beds a couple of gorgeous women in a couple of bizarre scenes, both superfluous. He is out of shape, but he manages to kill almost single-handedly a dozen baddies assaulting his home. One of the field agents is actually a secretary. Ralph Fiennes looks fat, bold and very middle-aged… whatever…

Throughout the movie I started thinking that even Quantum of Solace was better than Skyfall and that leads to the final questions: what about the delirious reviews about this being "the best Bond ever?" Were the official reviewers bribed to glorify the 50th Bond anniversary? What did they drink (or smoke) before writing their reviews? Did they watch the same Skyfall movie I watched or perhaps a special edition just for them?

Die-hard Bond fans will love it anyway. They love them all, even if it is always the same story, re-told with small variations: Bond is invincible and irresistible to women and he always saves the world, thanks to a few gadgets, his Martinis and his beloved car. No need to invent anything new.
  39. Jun 3, 2013
    Reading reviews by other users on this sight baffles me; who really cares if there is blatant product placement? Did it ruin the movie that much that you had to give 0? This is easily one of the best Bond films ever made, and Daniel Craig is certainly a contender for the title of "greatest Bond ever".

Craig portrays Bond in a way we have not previously seen; he presents Bond as a broken
    man that's lost his edge forget the suave, handsome, perfect man that most of us believe Bond to be and picture a washed up, bearded, borderline alcoholic, a man who is merely a hollow shell of what he once was. That's what makes Craig so appealing, he plays Bond with a sense of realism and vulnerability. The villain of this movie is wonderfully portrayed by Javier Bardem (known for his portrayal of Anton Chigurh in No Country For Old Men); a man who relies more on his brain than physical strength, a man betrayed by his own people and on a personal vendetta against the woman who betrayed him. He's a believable villain, bearing many similar traits to the villain of Die Hard 4. Bardem plays the part with a great deal of charm; although he has a small amount of screen time he makes the most of every scene he is in and was undeservedly snubbed for an Supporting Actor Academy Award.

Sam Mendes has made a perfect Bond that is realistic but also pays tribute to the Bond films of the past. Mendes, unlike his Bond director predecessors, develops the background characters giving them depth and emotion; M now serves a purpose in this movie and is portrayed by Judi Dench as a woman afraid of letting her country down and losing her pride. Q is introduced in this movie as a considerably younger man, he's a computer genius with a poor sense of humour who despite his intelligence is still outsmarted by the villain. Apart from developing the characters, Mendes also utilises some brilliant cinematography; the fight between Bond and the assassin is reminiscent of the fight in Moonraker and the villain is introduced with a 30 second static camera that doesn't move instead the villain walks towards the camera until we can discern his appearance.

The music for this film is conducted by Thomas Newman who does a brilliant job supplying background music for scenes. However my one real criticism of the film is the opening song; Skyfall by Adele. I dislike the fact that she was hired, not because I have a personal dislike of her music, but because the producers aimed to release a commercially successful song that would win the Academy Award. The song is easily one of the worst in the history of Bond movies and should have been replaced with a song that reflects the tone of the movie.

Apart from that criticism this is easily one of the best Bond films ever made, its a return to form after the disappointment of Quantum of Solace, and Daniel Craig will be the greatest Bond ever. Roll on Bond 24.
  40. Jun 1, 2013
    Skyfall is a long, tedious, and extremely boring movie that has little to no emotional impact on the viewer. It didn't linger with me after I watched it because the whole thing just felt like a massive cliche. The only things that saved this movie were the action sequences and the grounds keeper who helped out Bond more than Bond helped himself. Also, he was probably the only likable person in the whole movie. Seriously, why is Bond the least interesting person in the film? How did the writers even manage to do that in a JAMES BOND movie?They even managed to make Javier Bardem (who was an excellent villain in No Country for Old Men) into a lame attempt at ripping of Joker!
    It may seem like I hate this movie, but I actually thought it was not a terrible movie. It's a solid action flick if you turn your brain off. But, it's nothing more than that. People who say that this is the best Bond ever need to see a proctologist and get their head removed from their own a--.
  41. May 19, 2013
    skyfall makes a good impression as a James bond movie it has all the qualities of being a good movie you have the picture the lightening the costumes and the fact that it is not memorable.
    the first thing you notice about it is the good music from the start to the end and second thing is the great action car chasing ect.....
    it's basically an entertainment for 2 hours and one of
    the best in the series.
    however there have to be a negative side which is the advertisement let me guess watches cars and suites and i actually lost tracks of how many times they did this but overall great movie.
  42. May 15, 2013
    The 007 franchise was never the same after the entry of Daniel Craig as James Bond. Skyfall is not only 23rd film in the franchise as well as the best so far. Sam Mendes brings a magnificent thriller and well run with great action scenes and performance of the cast.
  43. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty distasteful misogyny (more than simple sleeping with women- he pretends that he cares for an abused sex slave and promises to rescue her, then takes advantage of her vulnerability to have sex with her, then when he's got what he wants from her he lets her die without showing any kind of remorse or compassion).

Beyond this, the plot is boring and totally nonsensical. It is so full of plot holes, loose ends, and inconsistencies that mean you just don't care what happens and spend most of the time just thinking "Why is this happening? What's the point of this? How did he manage that? Why is he there?" etc.

Non of the main characters are likeable, in fact, I kind of feel that the 'bad guy', Silva, was actually the good guy really. You can understand and sympathise with his motives, where as Bond and M are just a-holes.

The action sequences aren't even very good. There's no tension to them, and because you don't care about any of the characters or what happens in the 'story' they just become meaningless set pieces.

To top it off, the script is quite bland, with cliches and occasional pseudo-deep phrases thrown in to annoy you. There is next to no witty dialogue or truly interesting conversations.

However, if you like to watch movies because you like moving images and the occasional explosion, you'll probably love it.
  44. Apr 25, 2013
    Skyfall is an excellent 007 movie. It's quality comes from heading off the beaten track and showing us things that haven't really been done in a Bond film before. The action sequences are great and the art direction is phenomenal. There are one or two blemishes, though. The plot doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, Javier Bardem's villain is a bit too over-the-top and all the wink-wink old Bond references, while fun, feel forced and out of context. Not the best 007 movie ever made, but a damn fine one none-the-less. Expand
  45. Apr 21, 2013
    Just boring, I slept through some parts of the movie. Bond almost rarely talks, there are events which look so forced to justify the plot's directions (this is the worst in the movie, the way some events take place... omg...), Moneypenny is introduced as a "creative" mark, M is since her inception, an awful character that goes worse, Q is another "creative" decision (creative is let's make it easy for us and make the public believe it's cool and innovation). Lots of cloaked advertising, more nonsense plot decisions, forced again and again, that didn't made any sense. In conclusion: the movie is an action flick which tells you to believe a good Bond movie is what they produce, with explosions, gfx, low intelligence plot, meat for the grinder. I'm glad I didn't fall for the "awesome MUST see" advertising kind of marketing campaign. Neither for the forum shills which almost crucify us if we don't share 10/10 impressions. I really enjoyed the first Craig Bond movie, but watching him and Conan the Barbarian movies just fighting and fighting, is the same... Expand
  46. Apr 21, 2013
    One of the best movies ever in my opinion. If action had a name, it would be James Bond. The movie had exciting action sequences, a good plot, and never-ending edge-of-your-seat thrills.
  47. Apr 11, 2013
    I have been a long-time fan of the Bond series, and I was blown away with this film. It was a great relief from the past two Bond films, many may have enjoyed them, but I just didn't see true Bond in "Casino Royale" and "Quantum of Solace". This really made me respect Daniel Craig and actually want to see him as 007 more.
  48. BKM
    Apr 4, 2013
    I've never been a big fan of the James Bond series, so my review of the film is biased right from the get go. Still I was a bit surprised at what Sam Mendes had to offer up at the helm of the latest entry. Skyfall finds 007 trying to find his place in a modern world where computer hacking is a more powerful tool than disguises and fancy gadgets. More importantly, the film explores the notion of whether or not the intelligence game has become antiquated and what it has cost those who play it. But in spite of the film's commendable artistic ambitions, it's ultimately too cool and lethargic for its own good. Expand
  49. Apr 2, 2013
    A few okay action scenes, but mostly a long, boring movie with no real point. I wouldn't recommend it. It might be okay for a few loyal bond fans, but if you aren't a James Bond superfan, you probably won't like it.
  50. Mar 31, 2013
    Skyfall is not a typical James Bond film. It's much more of a generic action film with some brief references to its context. The story is too simple, the pacing is wrongand the action sequences are nowhere near James Bond standard. However, as an action film, Skyfall is fantastic. It's beautifully directed, has good acting, quite long and suspensful throughout. It's not clever or innovative or humourous, but for what it is and what it does, Skyfall does it very well. If you're a big James Bond fan you may be slightly dissapointed, but if you're after a solid action film you can't go wrong with Skyfall. Expand
  51. Mar 26, 2013
    The 23rd entry in the James Bind franchise is without a doubt my favorite one yet! It felt very personal and emotional and it shows that Bond is not as invincible as he use to be. The movie also has the best Bond villain since Goldfinger, something that this series needed badly. Honestly, I think Javier Bardem and Judi Dench should've won awards for their roles. The cinematography is some of the best I've ever seen in any movie. The long, subtle shots showed me that an action movie doesn't always need quick, rough shots. And even with all those excellent qualities, the moment in the movie that astounded me the most was the villain's entrance on the island. I had never seen a shot like that and it nearly took my breath away. Bardem was as charming and menacing as ever and the story he tells is spooky as hell. Do not miss this movie. I assure you will regret it! Expand
  52. Mar 24, 2013
    This James Bond entry is very different from any other James Bond movie ever made. It really takes you to the inner depths of James Bond. Yet it is still everyting James Bond should be. Exciting, action pack and sexy. It is also at times with Javier Bardem, suspenseful. And the ending is truly surprising. Overall, it's still an action-packed thrill ride, just done a lot better than any of them.
  53. Mar 21, 2013
    A good James Bond film always needs martinis, gadgets, beautiful women and guns. Thankfully, director Sam Mendes’s (American Beauty, Road to Perdition) Skyfall has all of that and more. Bond turned 50 in 2012 and he didn’t age a day since he first made his debut in 1962’s Dr. No. Skyfall, now the 23rd Bond film in the series is Daniel Craig’s third outing as the character and he delivers his most emotionally riveting performance as Bond yet. Set after the events of Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace, Skyfall presents a Bond who is clearly off his game and is suffering from some form of post-traumatic stress syndrome. Bond’s personal dilemmas need to set aside as he is confronted by a psychotic killer hell bent on destroying MI6, the British secret intelligence service. Not only does this psychopath possess and invaluable list of names that could cause the death of hundreds of British agents, but that same person shares a past with a very notable character in the series and is intent on making life a living hell for Bond and his morally conflicted mentor, M.

Craig shares the screen with the always amazing Judi Dench, who returns as Bond’s boss M, Naomie Harris, a fellow agent with a very unique name, Ben Whishaw, as the wonderfully sarcastic new gadget master Q, and Ralph Fiennes as a British agent who, of course, is more than he appears to be. One of the most important parts to any Bond film is the villain. The previous Craig films have always suffered when it comes to a memorable megalomaniac, but there is no denying that Javier Bardem’s performance as Silva, a deranged cyber-terrorist with a vicious grudge, is one of the most memorable Bond villains since Goldeneye’s 006, Alec Trevelyan.

The performances are all top notch, but the action scenes are what sets this movie a part from most films this year. A breathtaking motorcycle chase across rooftops in Istanbul turns into one of the craziest fights on a train that you'll ever see, and that’s barely the first ten minutes of the film. Quite a few action scenes pay homage to those found in prior Bond outings, while still making them unique at the same time. Mendes grounds the action, allowing it to be thrilling without veering into brain numbing absurdity. Skyfall has plenty of other goodies for fans too. Cinematographer Roger Deakins’ work is gorgeous as he perfectly captures the beauty of Istanbul, Shanghai and other cities around the world. His visual flair enriches everything from the action scenes to the quiet conversations between characters. The always famous opening credit sequence adds yet another great song to list. The song, simply called Skyfall, was written and performed by Adele. Adele’s work is easily one of the best Bond themes ever.
    The film will please 007 fanatics as well as newcomers who are unfamiliar with the super-spy’s globetrotting escapades. Skyfall is easily one of the best Bond films in the series and it sets a very high bar for the next adventure.
  54. Mar 19, 2013
    Watching skyfall make you realise how much we all love 007. Skyfall is my favourite bond movie the acting is incredible. What more can I say apart from WOW.
  55. Mar 14, 2013
    Lashing, dashing, breathtaking, powerful. Best Bond Ever. Skyfall is a mesmerizing movie, it's the first 2 minutes that grasp you in the movie. Bond movies such as On Her Majesty Service has been very well compelled and also compared to the new effects in the film. Javier Bardem is my favorite Bond villain first I was a Gert Frobe person but now that has changed after Bardem entered Bond films. The Climax was amazing and sad. Skyfall is both a fall and a rise. Expand
  56. Mar 11, 2013
    Watching the film you notice that skyfall was inspired by the dark knight looking at javier bardem as the villain as example, with his personality, capture and rescue. It is a good dark bond losing its puff towards the end.
  57. Mar 10, 2013
    My second favorite James Bond movie (first being Casino Royale) brings a needed sense of realism to the series. Here's hoping Sam Mendes might stick around.
  58. Mar 9, 2013
    It's a good bond.The action,the sound and the pictures in the movie are top.Good acting but I think Javier Bardem plays the part, which he always play. Added to this the story has many! mistakes.All in all it seems to me that the whole story is stolen from The Dark Knight/Rises. The writer had apparently no separate ideas. Nevertheless,this film makes me a lot of fun.6/10
  59. Mar 8, 2013
    To me, it didn't feel like a Bond movie. Casino Royale introduced us to a different version of Bond that I loved to bits, but the opportunity to add something consequential to the character was squandered this time around. The action sequences were riveting and well executed, and the dialogue was engaging, but the plot was plain stupid. The showdown in the final sequence at Skyfall was downright cheesy. One would think secret agents would plan things a bit rather than going for an unoriginal last stand. What did Bond have in mind? If he wanted the villain to come to Skyfall, and knew for a certainty that he was coming, he could have planned an ambush. Hell, I could have planned a better counter attack. Some policemen could have been hid in the surroundings if all the agents were incapacitated. Help from government could have been asked given that M was attacked in the presence of a minister. Why would a super trained spy corner himself in an old house just so he could display his killer skills, which he could have demonstrated anywhere to begin with. The plot was childishly simplistic and unimaginative. Lack of creativity and imagination seeps through every other scene. And why would a super agent retain his birth name? Also, I find it implausible that secret super spies would feel urges to eliminate their enemies in an attention seeking manner even if they could dispatch them discreetly. If you're willing to forget that this is a Bond movie, it would make for a very good thriller espionage movie with an over the top plot. There's nothing special about this one, and it is certainly overrated. Die Hard 4.0 would have made a better Bond movie. It cannot compete against any from the Bourne trilogy, everyone of which is a good example of how a spy thriller should be made. Expand
  60. Mar 4, 2013
    A ridiculous story, scandalous amounts of product placement, and an ageing and unconvincing Craig make this the worst Bond since Die another Day.

It all starts off promisingly, with a cool chase scene, and the great opening titles, but the story is so unbelievably silly, so far from the gritty reality we found in casino royale that the film quickly reveals itself as a huge
    dissapointment. The product placement in this film is the most blatant I've ever seen at one point, an agent of Mi6, in the middle of a tense scene tracking down Bardem, finds the time to take a swig from a bottle of heineken! Craig looks too thin in the film, and not at all as convincing as in casino royale. That topped with exotic locations like SCOTLAND and bond girls who die after 5 MINUTES make this all a very dull and pointless film. Expand
  61. Mar 3, 2013
    This movie deserves 2 points for the opening chase and another point for the few beautiful shots of Istanbul and Shanghai. The rest is entirely forgettable, generic action-movie nonsense. From the title alone I half-expected some big, properly nefarious conspiracy, perhaps involving planes or space. But no, the villain is utterly uninteresting and only motivated by petty revenge. Bond himself inspires no empathy whatsoever, and displays zero emotion, charm or wit. The pacing is terrible, with some pointless scenes dragging on to the point where I started checking the clock. The plot is full of holes big enough to drive a train through. And of course there are no gadgets to speak of. Because the new Bond is all 'dark' and 'gritty' and 'real' while still managing to be a wooden puppet buffeted by meaningless explosions and fantastical computer hackery. Expand
  62. Mar 3, 2013
    Best Bond movie ever made, there is a lot of action in it and I like that, good actors, especially Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes. One of the best Bond villains and an epic end. This is a new must see.
  63. Feb 26, 2013
    The progress made in bringing the franchise into the modern age is spectacularly undone. By the end of this film, you find yourself staring at the start of every early Bond film. While this could have been a superb way to wrap up 'Bond will return' and that is rather a depressing notion.
  64. Feb 21, 2013
    Worst Bond movie ever. Hopeless plot, a super hacker cyber terrorist who doesn't possess a computer or computer lab. The Bad Guy is a sad fairy with no menace. The end burning house scene with geriatrics taking out 'assassins' is laughable. Weapon skills throughout are pathetic tech directors need to learn from 'Heat' or 'Shooter'. New Q is terrible, Moneypenny is equally bad. About time they gave Bond a man's weapon and a waistband holster. Only good points are that the awful Dench (M) gets wasted, new M is the business. Such a let down after Craig's first Bond movies.The scenes are a joke, this supposedly super meticulous bad guy on his way to wipe out MI6 gets on the tube train at the wrong end and has to walk through the carriages people get on the right tube carriage when they go to work! everyday. Expand
  65. Feb 20, 2013
    Its different, about that there is no doubt. I myself thoroughly enjoyed it. JB movies have always been anchored in the here and now, always tackling current affairs and issue's and in that it doesn't fail. I can understand the people who disliked it and their reasons for disliking it. But in this current iteration of movies starring Daniel Craig, who has grown on me 10 fold after watching this, I feel this movie is well placed. Its almost like a new start for the series without giving away any spoilers for those who haven't seen it. The whole film has a real understated and dare I say it 'realistic' sense to it. Sam Mendes is a great director and I for one really like the direction he has taken with this even in comparison to Casino and Quantam. Watch it for yourselves if you haven't seen it. One thing is absolutely for sure...its better than Quantam of solace.!! Expand
  66. Feb 20, 2013
    Best Bond-movie of Daniel Craig and maybe even the best Bond-movie since Roger Moore's. I like the "back to the roots" romantic and that the plot plays a lot in Great Britain.
  67. Feb 19, 2013
    After 50 years, and 50 plus mistakes in Quantum of Solace, director Sam Mendes has delivered the home front of Bond movies, its big, bold, smart, and simply feels like classic Bond, while maintaining its more gritty and realistic approach to the genre.
    It's got all the ingredients of the Bonds of yesteryear with a few spices added in, take out the disastrous films before we had the
    reboot, and they all cumulate in this,and what a thrill to behold.
    An opening scene involving a thrilling chase through Istanbul already feels better than the opening of Quantum, its cleaner, crisper, and is relevant to the story which follows.
    An attack on MI6 sets up a story that is perhaps one of the best Bond plots to grace the big screen, Judi Dench finds her true calling in this film, having a much more pivotal role as M, who is the target of estranged agent Silva, played creepily by Javier Bardem, perhaps not as menacing as his turn in No Country For Old Men, but certainly a nod to classic Bond villains, and the nods don't stop there. Q makes his return to the Bond universe, but in a very different, and in the younger form of Ben Wishaw, its Bond, but with its own modern spin ('What did you expect? An exploding pen?")
    The set pieces are explosive and epic, a subway train tumbling through the roof was a particular highlight, but the climax in the old orphanage was superb, Sam Mendes pulled no punches in delivering an exhilarating finale, even with the inclusion of Albert Finney (The Bourne franchise)
    There where complaints regarding the lack of chemistry between Craig and Naomie Harris, who played Eve in the film, but i personally seen this as deliberate to mask the eventual history behind Eve's character.
    The friendly exchanges between Bond and Q are the real comedic points of the film, with Bond viewing Q basically as a mere schoolboy, Q soon proves his worth as the film progresses with the ongoing mission to identify Silva.
    But it is really the relationship between Bond and M that solidifies her role as a central character within the bond universe, Craig and Dench do a brilliant job in playing the mother and son role which is rare to see for such a weathered franchise, and their friendship, albeit strained, his truly put to the test in Skyfall as M's past makes an unwelcome return. Was it better than Casino Royale, they are quite on par in my opinion, Casino Royale changed the rules completely but Skyfall did a wonderful job of enforcing them, while not trying to stray too far of the British spy's rich history.
    Skyfall rips apart the armour of the previous films and creates a vulnerable and emotional film that doesn't hold back in piercing the chest with a mass of bullets, its true core lies within the history and relationship of the characters, and this film wipes the slate clean to make a point of saying that Bond is here to stay.
  68. Feb 18, 2013
    You have to review the Bond movies within their context. As such, Skyfall is by means not bad one. There is something new and something familiar to keep both old and new fans watching. When you are going to see a any James Bond movie you pretty much know what to expect and Skyfall delivers exactly this.
  69. Feb 17, 2013
    The movie was good overall. However, I had to stretch my imagination to accept a gunshot by a hi powered rifle and a 3 story drop into canyon type water and survive. But I am not a gun expert so I wont say it is impossible, but the fall is definitely a broken bone (all) fall.
  70. Feb 17, 2013
    Honestly, It's a rather overrated movie imo. The plot was incredibly generic. The action was no where near as good as it was in previous Bond films (Casion Royale for example). Silva was an enjoyable villain and he captured the screen whenever he was on. That being said, He didn't have much in terms of dialogue outside of 3 scenes. The casting though is spot on Javier Bardem is great as Silva. Naomie Harris, Ralph Fiennes, and Ben Whishaw are great additions to the cast as well and I can't wait to see them in future Bond films. Skyfall is an enjoyable movie but not as good as people made it out to be. Expand
  71. Feb 15, 2013
    This isn't the worst James Bond movie, but it certainly is NOT the best. As someone who's seen almost all of the Bond movies, I can tell you this movie does not live up to the name. James Bond is a secret agent SECRET as in unknown yet everyone knows who he is. MI6 is the last to know about every detail rather than the first, which is pretty bad for an intelligence agency. And the plot of Skyfall is about petty revenge. Rather than being a character who is used to saving the world, James Bond ends up playing a body guard. Yes plots and characters can change from film to film, but they threw out the entire recipe. The film may not have been a bad movie, but it was not a James Bond film. Expand
  72. Feb 14, 2013
    This was perhaps the best of the James Bond films for me. The main villain was the stand out, super creepy and fun to watch. The action was solid and the camera work was above par. The set pieces (where they decided to shoot to film) were a pleasure to look at. There were a few odd "rolled my eyes" moments, but only about 5 or so. Overall, a good action movie with a lot of interesting visuals and one of the creepiest villains to date. Expand
  73. Feb 14, 2013
    All I can say is that this is the best Bond movie to date! I'm really glad that they made Bond a more human character. It was a very different take from any Bond movie to date. It's good to see them trying to keep evolving the franchise. Love the directing and cinematography from Mendes. Can't wait for the next chapter!
  74. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like Casino Royale, I like the Bond formula, I hated Quantum of Solace but I thought... surely it can't be worse. I was right, but only just. I'm going to slate this film and for one main reason; what is the point in making a Bond movie if the character isn't even recognisably Bond?
    Instead of a suave sophisticated agent you get a washed out has-been (who can still miraculously perform anything he needs to); instead of him bedding beautiful women he jokes when they die; instead of fighting a supervillain who wants to take over the world he's fighting a complete idiot (see plot-holes); instead of gadgets he gets a tracing chip the size of a toaster and a fingerprint PPK whoop-dee-woo. OK, OK.... Its a new Bond, he's got to be more realistic in a post-Bourne world?? So, they have a plot that's so riddled with holes you can (literally) drive a tube train through it; an enemy that appears to be insanely competent but then completely insane; an unsurvivable fall; an unescapable escape; and a ridiculous ending where Bond, an old man and an old women take on and win against a small army.

Bond has no charm, the film has no warmth, the characters make no sense, the dialogue is wooden, the love scenes cold, the action heavy handed, and the film betrays the Bond legacy. Why 3/10? Because the cinematography....

... is lush. I fully expect the cinematography to win an oscar. Watch it for that, but otherwise this is not even a Bond film and the last in the franchise I'll watch.
  75. Feb 12, 2013
    This was a really great action movie, but it didn't "feel" like a Bond movie at all. Not enough time was given to the villain, which is a shame because I believe a lot could have been done to make him a very menacing character. Skyfall was must better than Quantum of Solace, however. Overall, action fans and Bond fans should enjoy this movie.
  76. Feb 12, 2013
    Unbelievable. I have never seen a movie theatre that quiet. You could literally hear people think 'my god, WTF is this It's like the filmmakers thought 'how can we make every dialogue and every scene as bad as possible, and every character as unlikeable as possible ?'.
    The nerd at MI6 tops it off.
  77. Feb 6, 2013
    Like many, I am in disbelief at the popularity of Skyfall. I found it simplistic, dull, sloppy and "cheap". Only the first 45 minutes I enjoyed really, and even then I didn't find it a patch on other more modern Bond movies like Casino, Quantum or GoldenEye.

Clearly many people liked it, but it is most certainly not for me.
  78. Feb 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As you all know, 2012 marks the 50th year of the James Bond series and Skyfall is the 23rd movie in the entire franchise. What I have to say is that Skyfall is an outstanding movie but I will get all the details down but this review will contain spoilers so if you haven't seen the movie, DO NOT read this review, you have been warned.

Skyfall begins with Bond fighting an agent working for a terrorist in Istanbul and then being shot by a female sniper and then drowns in water which makes MI6 claim that Bond is dead but when MI6 is under attack, Bond returns to MI6 to stop the villan. Daniel Craig has done an amazing job with his performance as James Bond as well as Javier Bardem as the antagonist Silva. Both Mr.Craig and Mr.Bardem have both executed their scenes perfectly. Also, the movie does have a lot of awesome and memorable moments such as Bond and his co-worker Eve played by Naomie Harris in Istanbul, Bond in China and the ending. Another great thing about the movie is Judi Dench as M. Her performance was truly memorable that some Bond Fans would want to go back and see. The only problem with this movie is that the movie has some boring scenes like the part where Bond has to redo his training. My final verdict is a 9/10. This is a must see for James Bond fans or if you are someone who wants to see a good movie.
  79. Feb 3, 2013
    I´ve never been into James Bond films. Action movies are too often bad and they are not my favorite type of film. But this is what a great action movie is and feels like. I´m not going to say the plot is complicated but is credible and interesting. The action scenes are stunning and so well choreographed. Cinematography is stunning and deserves the oscar nomination it got (we´ll see if they win it). There are lots of cool things about the film like the storyline being centered on Judi Dench´s character. Daniel Craig is probably the best actor to bring James Bond to life. Nothing new. But the highlight is Javier Bardem playing the villain. Just amazing. He is so good, damn. My favorite scene of the whole film is the one in which his character is introduced and shares the scene with Daniel Craig. So much tension. 2012 has been a great year for movies and it shows in 2013 oscar nominations but if they have gotten one thing wrong is the best supporting actor category, two of those actors should be replaced by Javier Bardem in Skyfall and Leonardo Dicaprio in Django
    It felt original and another good point is Adele´s song, one of the best of the franchise
    True entertainment, and not those awful action movies without soul many people try to excuse as "it is just for entertainment".
  80. Feb 2, 2013
    The third James Bond film starring Daniel Craig. With Casino Royale being, in my opinion, one of the best Bond films of all time, and Quantum of Solace being one of the worst I felt like a lot was riding on this one, and boy, did it deliver. Whilst I don't think it was as good as Casino Royale it is still a very good and is up there with the best Bond films. My only critiques would be that the villain didn't hold as much presence as previous Bond villains, he didn't really care about destroying the world more about a revenge. Also, towards the end I got the feeling that it felt more like a Christopher Nolan Batman film than a James Bond film. But in conclusion, it was a very well done film and I think it's safe to say that Daniel Craig has earned his place as James Bond. Expand
  81. Jan 24, 2013
    Skyfall is the last movie of the James Bond saga and it was surprising, because after Quantum of Solace was impossible to expect more, although is not better than Casino Royale. The plot is very similar to other films, lots of action, fights and explosions, an unbeatable agent, a cool boss, the beautiful girl and the eccentric villain. This story only provides three interesting things; first the idea of the old dogs who are pull off the system by the technology and the modern times, which are Bond and M; second the dialogue about the rats that Silva tells 007, which is a metaphor for people who the society does not want; and third the Skyfall theme of Adele. Besides that, the plot is very unoriginal, the intro was not up to the Bond franchise and the look of Javier Bardem was ridiculous. The problem of this picture is that maybe we had enough of Bond and all the fights and explosions cannot fulfill a story. People need more than that these days. Collapse
  82. Jan 23, 2013
    People are giving "Skyfall" a little too much credit. Yes, I thought it was good and it definitely brushed off the cobwebs from "Quantum of Solace", but I don't think that it deserves to be placed among the best Bond movies. The action and villain were great, but the story dragged in some places.
  83. Jan 22, 2013
    Skyfall is a great new take on the James Bond franchise. It really explores the years of toll a life being James Bond would have on a person. It even explores Bond's origins and family life. A great undertaking for a franchise that is usually about giving you cheesy one-liners and large explosions for entertainment. We would get a lot more balance of storyline if every James Bond movie was written this well. Probably one of my favorite Bond movies now. Expand
  84. Jan 22, 2013
    The latest entry to the long-running James Bond series has perhaps hit a high note for the series as a whole, which is fitting, considering it was made for the 50th anniversary of the franchise. Pretty much everything feels right about this movie, the acting is superb from all involved, but I think Javier Bardem's turn as the ever famous Bond villain, in this film Silva, steals the show magnificently: he's just the right amount creepy and eerie as he is camp, liking him to Heath Ledger's Joker is perhaps some of the best praise I can give him (shame he does not have an Oscar nomination, although he does have a BAFTA nomination). The film starts in a very exciting fight and chase scene, but the rest of the film is not as high octane as the opening scene, which is good as it really lets you get to see the characters properly. While most of the old Bond films have him going to exotic places to get the bad guy, Skyfall spends most of its run time in England, and the end of the film in Scotland, again, perfect for the 50th anniversary thing they had going, the scenes outside of England are just as good as ever, particularly the scenes in Shanghai, containing some of the best cinematography I have ever seen. This is not found only in Shanghai, for one of the film's crowning glories is how beautifully shot it really is. On the 50th anniversary topic, several nods are made to what happened in the older films: a lot of these, sadly, went over my head, as I have not seen many Bond films at all. It does deal with the timeline as well as it could, showing an old institution, which is changing with the times, but sticking to its roots was a fine indication of where the series is headed in the future. Exciting, beautiful, tense and disturbing can all be used to describe Skyfall, whose only problem in my book is that the final showdown was a little lackluster in places compared to the rest of the film, helped only by Silva's creepy arrival. The best Bond film? Perhaps. 92/100. Expand
  85. Jan 15, 2013
    As a huge Bond-fan, especially of the last three, I thought this was by far the best ever. The amazing pictures, the fantastic bad guy and the great new additions to the cast, the entertaining story and above all the fabulous Daniel Craig who nails his role even better then in the previous 2 parts. And, girls, Daniel Craig is just hot! With just a towel around his hips it's difficult to focus on the movie so I went to see this movie for three times in the cinema now and still I could see it again. Expand
  86. Jan 13, 2013
    My wife loves JB films and shootem ups with chase scenes. Even she rates this film a zero. March of the Penguins has more character and plot development than Skyfall. I could really feel for the penguins; I have no feelings for the characters in Skyfall.
  87. Jan 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Some great action scenes are the only distinguishing feature. Otherwise, far too much product placement and a plot which revises GoldenEye with its agent turned villain after harsh treatment by his spymasters (Bardem phones in his performance and counts the cash, and good luck to him). The whole thing could have been rescued for me if Silva had killed M and himself in the chapel, with Bond arriving just in time to witness it. Now that would have been a movie! Expand
  88. Jan 10, 2013
    I really enjoyed the movie, but I've never seen a Bond movie before this one. Perhaps it may not live up to the Bond name, as people are saying, I would not know, but I do know that regardless, it's fantastic watch and incredibly entertaining.
  89. Jan 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is by far the best film of 2012. I have seen many complaints ranging from "It wasn't realistic enough" to "It was too realistic and not corny enough like the original Bond films". I have seen every Bond film and my favourite Bond will always be Pierce -- and this can then show I have no problem with the "corny" and over-dramatic Bond films. This film was a work of art, every scene was perfectly scripted, acted and shot and scenes such as the fist-fight in the dimly lit skyscraper took my breath away. The Casino scenes were stylistically beautiful, the opening chase scene was thrilling and perfectly done. Daniel Craig did a great performance, his portrayal of a darker James Bond, slipping from his standards and becoming sloppy is a tale laced with angst and drama but perfectly executed. Silva was a superb bond villain and I adored that the fact he was gay or bisexual was subtle and only hinted at and not made into a grand show or his character's defining attribute -- his line "Life clung to me like a disease" and indeed that whole scene was perfectly delivered and structured. The interactions between Bond, Silva and M in this strange triangle of characters, their interactions, their histories and their motives all clashing together to form this great Bond tale was magnificently done. The only flaws this film had were firstly that the ending scenes set in the house, before the ice lake and the church, dragged on slightly and became a bit tiresome. There was barely any light in these scenes and after fifteen minutes of it, it becomes stagnant. My final flaw and something that really pulled me out of the film was Q sticking two ethernet cables into Silva's laptop and then shouting "How the hell did he get into our systems?" after their system is hijacked. Seriously? At this point everyone knew Silva was a hacker, he was in custody -- so why do that? Why connect the networks via ethernet cables? Isn't Q meant to be a "genius?" And then Q pulls them out of the laptop like "Oh, silly me." Really, really...

But alas, apart from those two flaws -- relatively minor in size -- this film was magnificent and damn near perfect. Definitely give it a watch, buy it on Bluray too. **** get a poster. It's that good.
  90. Jan 8, 2013
    Considering all the hype surrounding this film, I was a bit disappointed. I was expecting a bond movie to rival the greats from the 70's and 80's, but in truth this film doesn't live up to that legacy. That being said, it is an entertaining action thriller which will keep you entertained and on your toes.
  91. Jan 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very disappointing. I expect my filmed entertainment to at least try to have some credibility. Skyfall has a series of wonderful action pieces held together by the most flimsy plot imaginable. Totally ruined for me by the silly computer graphics, schoolboy 'Q', and complete nonsense of a villain who spends millions (and razes an island?) just to 'get back at M'? A villain who can forecast years ahead exactly when an underground train is going to be on top of his bomb? Londoners can't forecast where trains are going to be in 10 minutes!

Blowing up a major building in London by computer? Bond scurrying off to Scotland via a route that only the villain can work out? Bond's old retainer still hanging around the family home whilst it is sold and falls apart around him?

Sorry- no credibility at all and the wonderful opening simply did not make up for the awful plot.
  92. Jan 8, 2013
    an epic must watch the bond film is back with a huge bang, this film is one definitely to watch, whether you enjoy Bond or not, the film contains an epic mix of suspense, and action with an extremely well structured story line, antagonist, and ending, as well as a straight to the point introduction.
  93. Jan 6, 2013
    Not the best bond film of all time but one of the greatest .
  94. Jan 6, 2013
    Important to say, that there's probably no better action movie neither that the movie where James Bond comes in! Definitely, Daniel Craig's performance as an actor, even if he didn't modified, he surely saved the character from rusting. After that much years Bond is still alive!
    Will everyone agree that Skyfall is best film about James Bond's "adventure", but the thing is that Skyfall
    multifaceted! Better say, it's thrilling and entertaining at the same time! Expand
  95. Jan 4, 2013
    It may not be the best Bond film, but Skyfall is an exciting action movie, with an awesome villain, brilliant acting by Craig and Dench (as M), and a storyline more genuinely emotionally engaging than most other Bonds (aside from Casino Royale), even if the originality of Casino, and the escapist fun of the older Bonds, is not quite captured.
  96. Jan 3, 2013
    With action packed in every shot, the ending comes to a shocking end, but still takes the top 3. This movie, being the great one it is, stands up to even Goldfinger. Many ask if Goldfinger met its equal, or possible match. In reality, it has met its equal. Sean Connery and Daniel Craig face each other with there best movie pick. Connery's top as Goldfinger, Craig's top as.... well obviously Skyfall. This is a necessity for every Bond fan. Daniel Craig is at his best. Until this film, I didn't think Goldfinger could ever be matched. Don't listen to the people below or above who say it is a waste of time and money. And I don't mean to get offensive, but a lot of people who think it sucked are people who grew up back in Connery and Moore years and can't like newer versions of many old movies. There are many adults who love the movie too though. My dad for instance is a very good critic on Bond movies. Usually he likes the older ones the best. But he says that now that he saw Skyfall, he can't decide between Connery or Craig. Note: Movie is not for people who hate getting headaches because of thinking over Connery or Craig. Expand
  97. Jan 3, 2013
    tedious and really nothing new to see here except bardem and craigs great performances. action scenes are nothing special and the story drags down to a stop at times. do not believe the hype folks.
  98. Jan 2, 2013
    Just like WiiU's "ZombiU" this is media that is low key but high impact. And just like ZombiU, the yanks once again totally miss the point as their bloodlust and sociopathic needs will not be met in this movie. Skyfall is the On Her Majesty's Secret Service of 2012, looking deeply into the more human level of being Bond and his relationship with M, the world, and himself. The whole film is also a clever way to return return to the classic Bond. Expand
  99. Jan 2, 2013
    After watching skyfall I felt like having worked for an enitre day, it just took far too long. It'd be better it'd be shortened by an hour. The acting wasn't bad and stuff. Actually there was nothing which was like really bad but everything also was not good.

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 9, 2012
    Skyfall leaves you wondering whether this incarnation of the character has anywhere left to go. It's the portrait of a spy at the end of his rope by an actor who seems close to his.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Nov 9, 2012
    Mendes' approach to action is classical and elegant - no manic editing and blurry unintelligible images here - but what makes the movie truly special is the attention he gives his actors.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 9, 2012
    The sky is far from falling on the Bond franchise. In fact, it is as good as it has ever been. What's more, Craig is reportedly on board for at least two more outings, so Q had better get to work on those bifocals because 007 is no where near ready for retirement.