5.4

1. Oct 21, 2010
    To say this movie sucks gives it more weight than it's worth. The script is well-matched to the direction because both are done equally poorly. The only reason I watched it was because Salon.com liked it, but then it turns out that Matt Zoller Seitz reviewed it, and Salon should fire him. The movie had only one surprise for me - that I made it to the end without walking out.
  2. Jan 13, 2011
    The problem with this movie is its linearity. The protagonist is a manipulative single minded jerk with no real insight and that doesn't change. It's aggravating watching him, there is no growth, the plot is obvious. A disappointment.
  3. Apr 17, 2011
    I would have never rented this title in the first place, but my brother went to pick up something for himself, and offered to get one for me. I gave him a list of titles that I would like, but he couldn't find any of them, so he picked out this one, I guess because it had Michael Douglas in it. I am truly shocked to see some positive reviews here, I thought that they would be uniformly awful, just like the movie. I could tell that I didn't want to watch it after about 15 minutes, but I guess that I got through half of it before shutting it off. I saw enough terrible dialogue, and Michael Douglas acting like he believed that he was a 16 to 18 year old. It was painfully boring, along with being just awful. Now I know that it is a great idea for me to pick out my own movies. It is extremely rare for me to not let a movie finish, but I'm not into torture. Expand
  4. Jan 20, 2011
    Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Why must a review be 150 characters long? Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Why must a review be 150 characters long? Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Why must a review be 150 characters long? Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Why must a review be 150 characters long? Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Why must a review be 150 characters long?

1. It’s smoothly written and smartly paced, and Michael Douglas is riveting.
  2. This attractive cast may help get an audience, but they will surely puzzle over such a downward-spiraling story that lacks inner logic.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    A movie of no small generosity: It offers audiences the pleasures of a screenplay whose every acerbic line is firmly rooted in character, and it hands Michael Douglas one of his best roles in years.