Indomina Releasing | Release Date: June 15, 2012
6.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 8 Ratings
WATCH NOW
iCronicJul 12, 2014
Simple, good documentary, with some of the old heads saying some things about the whole art form
OizramDec 24, 2013
Although I found the whole documentary quite interesting, it kinda felt fragmentary to me.
Sort of a puzzle (to use Eminem's words) lacking of some useful-to-join-the-ensemble piece, but this could easily be reconnected to the wild, smoky, gutty nature of hip-hop itself. Not really a documentary stricto sensu, rather an enjoyable peeping of rap legends sharing some good time together and explaining their subjective point of view over the evolution of the movement and their rhymes-crafting techniques. In the end, I didn't find the curse offensive, instead, I would have felt insulted by the use of a false polished and politically correct language, only made up for the camera.
TheHygienistDec 29, 2012
I was struck by the opening interview when one of the rappers said that rap evolved because "they took our instruments away", meaning that schools somehow conspired to take instruments away from students, so they could no longer perform jazzI was struck by the opening interview when one of the rappers said that rap evolved because "they took our instruments away", meaning that schools somehow conspired to take instruments away from students, so they could no longer perform jazz and blues. At that starting point of victimization, it was downhill all the way, including the vast over-use of every curse in the book including the so-called "n" word, which is apparently not offensive at all to anyone in this film. If you really want to see the origin of the decline of western civilization, study this "Something from Nothing" farce. Expand
donmontalvoJun 17, 2012
I really wanted to like this movie. I probably would have a different opinion had it not been for the 1000+ times the "n" word was used. C'mon rappers, find a way to express your art.