Summit Entertainment | Release Date: April 1, 2011
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 688 Ratings
WATCH NOW
iAGRNov 18, 2011
Certainly not bad. The movie reminds me of both Inception and Groundhog Day. The movie is generally considered as a thriller - an action movie, but there is a bit of comedy in it as well. A movie should never forget to add a few creativelyCertainly not bad. The movie reminds me of both Inception and Groundhog Day. The movie is generally considered as a thriller - an action movie, but there is a bit of comedy in it as well. A movie should never forget to add a few creatively hilarious lines. A movie worth saying, although the ending was a bit weird. Expand
StevenFApr 2, 2013
Duncan Jones directs a fast-paced and surprisingly thrilling film with Source Code, and could just be a hit with everyone.
Jake Gyllenhaal stars as who we believe to be Sean Fentress, who has awoken aboard a train going towards downtown Chicago, but he is does not remember how he got here in the first place.
We soon learn that he is not this train commuter at all, but he is actually a man locked up in a time-traveling mechanism that is inside the thoughts of another man...got that?
Basically we see him as Gyllenhaal, and he has all the memories of his actual self, Colter Stevens, but he actually appears to be this other guy to everyone else, and this is brilliantly done,through going back to the same position he was put in at the start of the film by the shady company who are using him to try and prevent a terrorist attack.
Michelle Monaghan also stars as the woman in the seat across from Colonel Stevens, someone he doesn't know but she of course is seeing Sean Fentress which makes for very interesting chemistry and at times quite humorous dialogue.
Gyllenhaal exceeds in his role as the double man form different realities, combining pulsating action with charm and sophistication, and carries the film exceptionally well for its attention-demanding plot.
My one very small complaint is perhaps the too-good-to-be-true ending, which was nice to see, but could easily have been flipped on its side and demanded more, while only a small complaint, I think it is still relevant considering the excellent story.
The ridiculousness of the plot can be overlooked in so many ways by simply enjoying the story going on in front of you, as Stevens begins to get the hang of his time jumping each time he fails and is put back in the same place, remembering occurrences that are about to happen.
But with a gripping turn in the story, its simply brilliant to sit back and watch the drama unfold in front of you, with plenty of interesting characters who all serve a purpose to Colonel Stevens mission.
The thrill ride of Source Code never stops and continuously takes many twists and turns that add up to one of the best films of the year, surprising, enjoyable and heaps of fun and that does put a unique rhythm on the idea of time travelling and consequences.
heyitsmegrif4Jan 16, 2012
Source Code is original and entertaining and benefits from Jake Gyllenhaal's charming and solid performance. It is a bit confusing at times but the film has decent visual effects, and will leave your mind spinning. I give this film 75%.
Mad_Hatter91Jun 23, 2012
I loved this movie so much because it's a good start with an original idea and, in reverse of other films, managed to finish in a charming way. The direction is fantastic and the actors are great.
Tss5078Feb 22, 2013
I love movies that make you think, and Source Code will do that, the problem is, that what you're thinking is probably what's going to happen. This film is a take on the TV show Quantum Leap, but instead of leaping until the issue is solved,I love movies that make you think, and Source Code will do that, the problem is, that what you're thinking is probably what's going to happen. This film is a take on the TV show Quantum Leap, but instead of leaping until the issue is solved, the leaper only has 8 minutes to try and solve the problem. Jake Gyllenhaal stars and while I usually don't care for him much, he was excellent here. I have a feeling this character may have been written specifically for him, because he's got a strange style and seems to not fit many of his roles. Source Code is another film in a genre of endless possibilities, it tries really hard to stand out and be special, but sadly it's pretty predictable, while playing off other established material, such as Quantum Leap and The Matrix. It is an enjoyable film and one of Gyllenhaal's best performances that i've seen, but if you're into Science Fiction, the way that I am, you're not gonna have much trouble figuring this one out. Expand
mrniceJul 29, 2013
I liked how 'blockbuster-action-big' this was at places, while remaining thoughtful. Very entertaining ride, with the same kind of twisty creativity that made Jones'-directed Moon a worthwhile sci fi-movie.
imthenoobNov 17, 2016
I thought it was really enjoyable and highly original. Easily the best sci-fi film to come out in many years. Gyllenhaal killed it as always and helped carry the movie to a bit of a higher standard than it should have been.
JaySupertrampFeb 5, 2012
How does it all end?
Well you should find out by watching this thrilling Sci-Fi / Mystery Film! Duncan Jones is processing his good work and I can't wait to find out his new Masterpiece.
Critic2012May 6, 2012
Source Code is not a thriller that keeps you guessing. The plot is believable and presents very few surprises. But it keeps you on the edge of your seat as you watch a man who doesn't know his own identity slowly discover the clues thatSource Code is not a thriller that keeps you guessing. The plot is believable and presents very few surprises. But it keeps you on the edge of your seat as you watch a man who doesn't know his own identity slowly discover the clues that reveal the truth. Expand
LokathorDec 16, 2013
Solid Sci-Fi movie with a solid hook. The conversations between sim runs are very nicely shot so as to not reveal too much too soon, which keeps you closely bound to the perspective of Colter Stevens as you're watching. Like a movie versionSolid Sci-Fi movie with a solid hook. The conversations between sim runs are very nicely shot so as to not reveal too much too soon, which keeps you closely bound to the perspective of Colter Stevens as you're watching. Like a movie version of a first-person book. Jake Gyllenhaal was a really good pick for this movie because of the mindshare he brings to the table from his other movies. Expand
daviduarteMar 6, 2012
This movie is brilliant! When the end came, I got a chill over all my body in front of such awesomeness. I liked so much that I decided to review this movie and give maximum score. Awesome!
AllYoYensMar 12, 2012
I could relate somewhat to Jake Gylenhalls character. I was on a 13 hour flight and I had not gotten any sleep. All I wanted was for the ride to end, but then the tone changed and took me out of my beleaguered state. I loved that there was noI could relate somewhat to Jake Gylenhalls character. I was on a 13 hour flight and I had not gotten any sleep. All I wanted was for the ride to end, but then the tone changed and took me out of my beleaguered state. I loved that there was no definitive course of action to finding the bomber. He was given too many decisions with too limited time. The backstory was even more enthralling. As if not apart of the world anymore, he was trying to find his purpose to going back into the source code. It was intense when he found it, I started tearing up. I connect to main characters very intensely, and I was completely satisfied with the ending. I want to know what that poem meant though. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 4, 2014
As Duncan Jones second work as director, he's quickly proving his exquisite skill behind the camera. There are extreme complexities here, but because of the pace and rhythm from Jones, we enjoy every step of the way. Also, another achievementAs Duncan Jones second work as director, he's quickly proving his exquisite skill behind the camera. There are extreme complexities here, but because of the pace and rhythm from Jones, we enjoy every step of the way. Also, another achievement for Jake Gyllenhaal's collection of beautiful dramatic work. Expand
AwesomeReviewerMar 26, 2012
The overall premise of a person being able to relive a persons last eight minutes may sound ludicrous, but the movie does a good and believable job of explaining how it is done. While the movie is science-fiction there is a level ofThe overall premise of a person being able to relive a persons last eight minutes may sound ludicrous, but the movie does a good and believable job of explaining how it is done. While the movie is science-fiction there is a level of believability to what is happening and â Expand
JTKelleyAug 10, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Duncan Jones's follow-up film to "Moon" follows a similar path of revealing major issues of worker compensation within the frame of a story much larger in scale. Unlike similar indie directors, it appears Jones was able to handle the larger budget without problem. Expand
StaticSpineSep 27, 2013
Good movie with an interesting storyline, nice cast. Do not know what else to say, definitely worth watching for everyone who likes movies with a slight touch of Sci-Fi or movies with amazing plots.
thelibrarymanNov 18, 2012
Absolutely amazing movie ... I watched all movies of Duncan Jones ...Moon and Whistle (Short Film) are also wonderful ... I'm looking forward to watch the other project of Duncan Jones ...
Rox22Feb 6, 2013
To be honest, I went into this movie not knowing a single thing at all about it. No trailers. No description. Nothing. All I knew was that it was meant to be some sort of Sci-Fi or thriller. It totally blew me away. While I did see the endingTo be honest, I went into this movie not knowing a single thing at all about it. No trailers. No description. Nothing. All I knew was that it was meant to be some sort of Sci-Fi or thriller. It totally blew me away. While I did see the ending coming a mile away, it still went about it in a clever way. This is perhaps the only Jake Gyllenhaal movie I can remember liking both him and the movie at the same time. The acting is decent. The writing is clever (perhaps too clever at times,) and the premise is really interesting. Overall A movie that perhaps could have had a bit more time to tighten up a few minor plot holes, but I'm not sure how they would have done that without ruining it. I would really like to see this kind of movie being made again, just perhaps on a grander scale. Expand
BrianMcCriticJul 18, 2013
Duncan Jones is showing he is one of the best sci-fi directors going today. Sure Source Code takes different elements from other films similar to his 2009 film Moon, but just like that film he adds a unique style that works perfectly. A
sil3nt_nickMar 24, 2013
Uninteresting and not very memorable, although in some scenes is exciting.
LoRevisorJan 25, 2015
Super original,Filme brilhante,Dirigido brilhantemente pelo filho do brilhante músico camaleão do rock David Bowie,Duncan Jones faz um ótimo trabalho
Jake Gyllenhall dar uma super e intensa performance nesta incrível ficção científica de ação. Michelle Monaghan é incrível neste filme aquela Morena Gostosa,Jeffrey Wright está fenomenal numa super intensa e difícil performance e Vera Farmiga é ótima também.
Excelente Filme!!!.
DuckNationJun 17, 2014
"Source Code is not time travel. Rather, Source Code is time re-assignment. It gives us access to a parallel reality."

Source Code is a top notch sci-fi thriller with an engaging story, a great lead actor that carries the film, and honestly after watching it i was rather mad at myself that it took me this long to see it. I have actually owned the movie since its been out on Blu ray but i just never got around to watching it. Lately though I've been trying to watch more movies i haven't seen so this was next up on the list also i justed watched Edge of Tomorrow last week so that also made me want to see this. Just like with Edge of Tomorrow this movie has been called a ripoff of "Groundhogs Day" which seriously sounds so stupid because its not like every other movie takes the formula of a successful film and then makes a movie with its own story based off that.

The movie follows Captain Colter Stevens (Jake Gyllenhaal) a U.S. Army helicopter pilot. Colter wakes up on a train dazed and not sure where he is as he was last aware of being on a mission in Afghanistan. He is sitting next to a woman Christina Warren (Michelle Monaghan) she acts likes she knows him and this freaks him he looks around for a bit then he notices a strange reflection in the window so he heads to the bathroom to figure out that he is not is his own body but the body of another person. Just when he leaves the bathroom Michelle and him start to argue about who he really is and then BOOM! the train blows up and we see Colter wake up into what seems to be the real world. This is when he is introduced to Colleen Goodwin (Vera Farmiga) all she does is ask questions about the train but Colter doesn't remember anything so she sends him back in.

So now we have our movie in which it does show several moments over and over again which i guess some people had a problem with but i didn't find it a problem. Now something that wasn't so much of a problem but was still something that could have made the movie just a little better was. The "Source Code" program people that were highly under developed but seeing that the story doesn't call for them being a big part it wasn't that big of a problem still though a little more info on them would have been nice. I will say my biggest problem with the movie is its beyond bland villain and his ultra cliche reasoning for why he is doing this and just like Non-Stop it was so much great build up for a underwhelming ending also was him being dead supposed to be a twist because they tell you before hand that only a dead person can use the source code program so that was a dead give away, i caught it i guess many didn't.

Overall i give it a 7.5 Jake Gyllenhaal does another fantastic performance, I seriously don't understand why some people don't like the guy he is a exceptional actor.
SteeliosisJun 5, 2014
Just something a bit different and varied, Source Code really does not fail to deliver in any way. The story is engaging, the characters, although a little cliche, each have their own personality, and overall the film is adrenaline fueled,Just something a bit different and varied, Source Code really does not fail to deliver in any way. The story is engaging, the characters, although a little cliche, each have their own personality, and overall the film is adrenaline fueled, emotional, and twists and turns throughout it's entirety. It's the kind of film that has you believe you've worked it all out, and then throws a curve ball, and it's fantastic.

This is highly recommended to anyone with an interest in action and thriller films, and wants something outside of the cliched and copy-pasted generic flicks we get day in, day out.
Meth-dudeMay 3, 2015
The acting was pretty good,the story was original and interesting but,the awful CGI ruined all the explosions scenes.The end kinda ruined the movie but overall the movie was great.
VeppisSep 11, 2014
In my opinion one of the best movie in these years and one my favourites ever. Intriguing and deep plot, never boring and really really touching at the end. I never wrote a Metacritic review but i'm doing it now just to tell you to watch this movie.
horizonbtsJan 31, 2016
For me this movie was over the top, if you liked Live, Die, Repeat with Tom Cruise, or were a fan of the TV series Quantum Leap you will love this one. I like the feeling in a movie what if you could change fractions in time what would theFor me this movie was over the top, if you liked Live, Die, Repeat with Tom Cruise, or were a fan of the TV series Quantum Leap you will love this one. I like the feeling in a movie what if you could change fractions in time what would the outcome be. Not only did this do that in a major way, it also had you guessing like a good Who-Done-It!! The acting was great with Jake Gyllenhall and Vera Farmiga both put in great performances. If your up for a thriller and one that will keep you guessing all along the way, this is the ticket. Loved it from beginning to end. It will also have you scratching your head from time to time until you figure out the meaning of the title Source Code. Not what i expected as it delivered much more than anticipated, quite a fun movie. Expand
russiangamerJan 26, 2017
Вот практически идеальный фильм.
Вот практически идеальный фильм.
Интересный и оригинальный сюжет, отличные актёры, красивая картинка, динамика. Но концовка всё же оставила смешанные чувства, она не разочаровала, но показалась не очень логичной. Фильм практически идеален, где-то на 9,8/10. Смотреть всем, особенно любителям фантастики.
Duke_NukemOct 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jake Gyllenhaal is becoming one of my favorite actors.

Source Code is a very intruiging movie about a soldier, Colter Stevens, who is reliving the last 8 minutes of the life of another man named Sean. Sean was on a train with a bomb that explodes and kills everyone on board. Colter Stevens dies every time and is being send to some pod, where he's being told to find out who is the bomber.

Every time Stevens is being send back into the darkness of the pod you can't help but feeling sorry for him. The mystery of what's really happening to him is being slowly revealed. It's all very nerve wrecking and exciting.

It's very interesting to see the transition Stevens is going trough: at first he doesn't want to find the bomber on the train, he just wants to know what the heck is happening to him. But slowly he becomes eager to find the bomber and he starts eliminating every possibility until he finds out the real identity of the bomber.

The story has a happy ending I guess, although it doesn't make much sense since he was not send back in time and he couldn't really prevent the bomb to explode. The real purpose of his actions was to find out the identity of the bomber in order to prevent another and bigger treat.

Also, if the explosion has been avoided then where is the real man who's body Colter Stevens is 'borrowing'? You could argue that he landed in some kind of alternative reality (theory of multiple universes) or you could just see the last part of the movie as a dream...
FilmQueenOct 30, 2015
It's an interesting concept and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole movie, but I still have to mention a few negative things. First of all I think it was predictable, I knew how it was gonna end, which is not how they should have ended it, IIt's an interesting concept and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole movie, but I still have to mention a few negative things. First of all I think it was predictable, I knew how it was gonna end, which is not how they should have ended it, I think. The romantic plot didn't make any sense and I was annoyed that they included it,I think it was completely unnecessary. Expand
audreythomas25Mar 9, 2016
A thoroughly original, imaginative and fast-flying tale in which the Groundhog Day aspects are secondary to a story of service, honor and dedication.

Watch this online

Watch this online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-152e29-Source-Code-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
EpicLadySpongeApr 25, 2016
At this point of view, Source Code is like a better modernized movie than the one you've seen years ago. Just don't expect it to be the same thing because it's been modernized.
Shadow1Jun 4, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good fantastic film with awesome storyline, when watch this film should think because some do not understand, I think this film is much better than many fantastic films . In this movie planted a bomb in a train and main hero was died, but he is given a lot of chance that would save the train and oneself for 8 minutes and from what is the time he saved city, train, oneself and met with women . Amazing film, all advise . 10/10 . Expand
Spyrorules1221May 26, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Short and sweet is best, one used to say, and that is clearly the case with source code. Short and sweet, and in that short and sweet period of time, it fits in gripping action, and plenty of thrills, it was very clever the way he got a little bit farther on the case every time he was sent back to the train incident. It was also clever the way that every time the train blows up, he got sent back, and he reported every new clue, because the army was also on the case too. Duncan Jones was a great choice to direct this movie, and the acting was also great as well. It's a clever, gripping and fun sci-fi thriller that fans of detective shows like the X files will enjoy. Expand
AbeMCJul 10, 2017
Decent sci-fi film about reliving an experience over and over until the flaw / criminal is found. These kinds of films are tricky to make, as they risk boring the viewer through too much repetition. Thankfully Source Code is well done, andDecent sci-fi film about reliving an experience over and over until the flaw / criminal is found. These kinds of films are tricky to make, as they risk boring the viewer through too much repetition. Thankfully Source Code is well done, and well acted (Gyllenhaal and Farmiga carry the film), even if an observant viewer will spot the anomaly very early. The ending feels like a studio-ordered tack-on (though if you think about it, the ending might not be what it seems). Tries to be intelligent and for the most part succeeds. 7/10 Expand
SimpsonHillneukMar 24, 2017
I have watched many movies with twists and revelations but this was the only one that didn't leave me with visions of how much better the movie could have been if the unraveling was timed differently; not the first ever great idea for a goodI have watched many movies with twists and revelations but this was the only one that didn't leave me with visions of how much better the movie could have been if the unraveling was timed differently; not the first ever great idea for a good story, but the best executed! Expand