Source Code

7.7

1. Feb 6, 2012
    I think Source Code is Inception-lite. It is an intelligent movie but doesnt test the viewer like Inception does. I also think Source Code has become the most underappreciated movie of 2011. I was blown away by the movie and it rewards repeat viewings as well. If you were intrigued by the premise of Vantage Point and wish it was done with skill, Source Code is the perfect movie for you.
  2. Jul 19, 2011
    One of my favorite action movies this YEAR! with a great storyline, and great special effects. I can't think of a reason not to see it. Unfortunately the repetitive going back to the train so it can explode thing gets old eventually.
  3. Apr 2, 2011
    Intriguing, suspenseful story, really wonderful except for certain parts which felt like classic studio meddling - a sappy father moment, a contrived love connection, and an ending that didn't connect with the tone of the rest of the movie. I really felt a disconnect between these aspects and what seemed to be the original intent of the film, as if a committee of writers were brought inIntriguing, suspenseful story, really wonderful except for certain parts which felt like classic studio meddling - a sappy father moment, a contrived love connection, and an ending that didn't connect with the tone of the rest of the movie. I really felt a disconnect between these aspects and what seemed to be the original intent of the film, as if a committee of writers were brought in to "hollywood-ize" the script or something. Otherwise an enjoyable film. Expand
  4. Apr 24, 2011
    Source Code, a fast past and sometimes bewildering movie, it is one that everyone is familiar with, at least in part, as it seems a concoction of several other movies. However, we do not realize this until almost the end of the movie, which is where the beauty of this movie lies. The movie stars Jake Gyllenhaal, as Captain Colter Stevens, who for reasons unknown to him, and to us theSource Code, a fast past and sometimes bewildering movie, it is one that everyone is familiar with, at least in part, as it seems a concoction of several other movies. However, we do not realize this until almost the end of the movie, which is where the beauty of this movie lies. The movie stars Jake Gyllenhaal, as Captain Colter Stevens, who for reasons unknown to him, and to us the viewers, is repeatedly sent into a train that seems destined to blow up, killing everyone on board. As soon as the train blows up, he is sent back into the train by a mysterious team of military scientists to do it all over again. Before going back into the train, he is given a little more information about what his mission is. He eventually determines his mission is to find the person who is blowing up the train in order to help prevent a future bombing that will devastate the city. Meanwhile, he is unaware of how he came to be in his present situation or when it will end.
    Overall, I give this movie a 5-star rating. The computer graphics generated in this movie are of an amazingly high quality and really make the viewer feel part of the movie. I also believe the acting was extremely believable, even if the overall plot is a little flawed. Despite its flaws, the plot does keep viewers on the edge of their seat and surprised at how quickly the movie seems to go by. This is a must see movie for those who love both action and adventure.
  5. Feb 14, 2012
    From Moon to Source Code, i can honestly say that Duncan Jones future has a filmmaker is very bright, let's just hope that he can keep this up. I am very much looking towards his work in the future.
  6. Jan 16, 2014
    This is second Jake Gyllenhaal in row I have watched and have come away impressed with his ability to carry a movie. The script was a well done for a sci-fi with a limited premise. Think groundhog day meets an alternate reality/time travel episode on star trek. That being said it is the human element and the characters that drive this movie vs. the sci-fi element the film is based on.This is second Jake Gyllenhaal in row I have watched and have come away impressed with his ability to carry a movie. The script was a well done for a sci-fi with a limited premise. Think groundhog day meets an alternate reality/time travel episode on star trek. That being said it is the human element and the characters that drive this movie vs. the sci-fi element the film is based on. Definitely worth the rent. Expand
  7. Apr 2, 2013
    Duncan Jones directs a fast-paced and surprisingly thrilling film with Source Code, and could just be a hit with everyone.
    Jake Gyllenhaal stars as who we believe to be Sean Fentress, who has awoken aboard a train going towards downtown Chicago, but he is does not remember how he got here in the first place.
    We soon learn that he is not this train commuter at all, but he is actually a
    We soon learn that he is not this train commuter at all, but he is actually a man locked up in a time-traveling mechanism that is inside the thoughts of another man...got that?
    Basically we see him as Gyllenhaal, and he has all the memories of his actual self, Colter Stevens, but he actually appears to be this other guy to everyone else, and this is brilliantly done,through going back to the same position he was put in at the start of the film by the shady company who are using him to try and prevent a terrorist attack.
    Michelle Monaghan also stars as the woman in the seat across from Colonel Stevens, someone he doesn't know but she of course is seeing Sean Fentress which makes for very interesting chemistry and at times quite humorous dialogue.
    Gyllenhaal exceeds in his role as the double man form different realities, combining pulsating action with charm and sophistication, and carries the film exceptionally well for its attention-demanding plot.
    My one very small complaint is perhaps the too-good-to-be-true ending, which was nice to see, but could easily have been flipped on its side and demanded more, while only a small complaint, I think it is still relevant considering the excellent story.
    The ridiculousness of the plot can be overlooked in so many ways by simply enjoying the story going on in front of you, as Stevens begins to get the hang of his time jumping each time he fails and is put back in the same place, remembering occurrences that are about to happen.
    But with a gripping turn in the story, its simply brilliant to sit back and watch the drama unfold in front of you, with plenty of interesting characters who all serve a purpose to Colonel Stevens mission.
    The thrill ride of Source Code never stops and continuously takes many twists and turns that add up to one of the best films of the year, surprising, enjoyable and heaps of fun and that does put a unique rhythm on the idea of time travelling and consequences.
  8. Jul 21, 2012
    Source Code has secured Duncan Jones' funding for a few more films as he continues to show what an excellent talent he is in the sci-fi genre. The film started to become slightly repetitive towards the latter stages but all in all this film was very good. I believe that the talents of Jake Gyllenhaal helped to steer the audience throughout this picture.
  9. Nov 28, 2012
    While it can't even spit in the proverbial direction of Jones' first classic "Moon," "Source Code" is still an interesting action film, making some hard-to-swallow subject matter actually comprehensible.
  10. Dec 7, 2012
    A really smart film. Unfortunately, it was also forgotten by many people, partly due its release date in Spring 2011; it came out in the weird months prior to blockbuster season. The repeating 8 minute scene never gets old as director Duncan Jones (Moon) proves he is a solid director in his second directorial effort.
  11. Apr 7, 2011
    AAtrekker
    AAtrekker
    I loved this movie. It had so many positive qualities. The Story was most interesting, the leads were charming and very ingratiating. The story was a combination of "Groundhog Day" and the TV series "Seven Days." I found it very engrossing and was on the edge of my seat during the entire film. If I have one criticism, it is the title but it's too late for that. This film shows very clearly that you don't need profanity, excessive violence or gratuitous sex to be enjoyed. The prime ingredient is a good story. But please pay very close attention to the early dialogue; it will help you to stay focused. Please more, more, and more of this type of fun, entertaining, and satisfying film.
  12. Apr 2, 2011
    This is a very well-done film. On par with, if not better than, Moon. This director has a bright future ahead of him, and I look forward to following his work.
  13. Apr 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dr. Sam Beckett(Scott Bakula) never overstayed his welcome. In "Quantum Leap", the great science fiction series that enjoyed an inspired four-year run on NBC in the early-nineties, the time-traveling physicist would supplant body after body like a benevolent demon, solving their dilemmas with the utmost expediency before dispossessing his hosts in a self-induced exorcism that worked like a trigger mechanism predicated on situational closure. This would prove to be beneficial for our nowhere man because sooner or later, hypothetically(Al, played by Dean Stockwell, a hologram, always kept track of Sam's departure time) the loved ones and acquaintances of the newly-consumed person would eventually discern that they were dealing with an impostor. If Sam took up full residence in one of the host bodies, this new lease on life couldn't possibly pan out due to his lack of shared histories with the people he'd be expected to be intimately familiar with. Travel-weary, from all that bouncing along his own chronological timeline, the quantum leaper yearned for a sedentary existence, but the only possible happy ending for Sam would have been for him to return as himself. To settle down as somebody else, learning the supplanted person's persona like a new language, strikes me as being a little insidious, not to mention, parasitic, and that's the nagging flaw of "Source Code", an otherwise ingenious sci-fi thriller which unfortunately, doesn't know when its time is up. Once Cpt. Colter Stevens(Jake Gyllenhaal) averts the intended expression of the secondary crisis(the bomb poised to level Chicago that never detonates), thanks to the Afghanistan veteran's time-sensitive(Sam had forty-two minutes, Colter has eight) on-the-fly detective work, his superior, Colleen Goodwin, in gratitude for the captain's hand in apprehending the perpetrator, allows the military's guinea pig to die gracefully, by giving him a chance to save the doomed train commuters with one final rewind of the source code. (In a sense, "Source Code" is like Woody Allen's "The Purple Rose of Cairo". The real Colter is in a life-support chamber, while the digital Colter, is essentially, playing a part in a movie(the source code can be read as an eight-minute action-short. In the end, like the Mia Farrow character in the Allen film, the heroine falls for the simulation.) As in Harold Ramis' "Groundhog Day", through repeated stints in the time loop, the self-actualized person accumulates information to affect a different outcome. By trial and error, Colter learns that the bomb up in the ventilation shaft comes equipped with a backup trigger, a secondary cellphone, which he defuses, therefore changing the predetermined outcome of the program's allotted eight minutes. Instead of a violent explosion, engulfing the train with an all-consuming fire, the last tick of the program's timecode corresponds to a freeze-frame where the once-victimized passengers' laughter is captured in mid-regale during the last moment of their filmic existence. Meanwhile, Colter is engaged in an petrified kiss with the woman he grows to love, Christina Warren(Michelle Monaghan), the passenger who happens to be seated across from his train compartment when the soldier leaps into the body of Sean, her teaching colleague from work. This is how "Source Code" should end: a film-within-the-film happy ending. It's "Groundhog Day" in miniature. Colter learns to live life to its fullest in eight minutes. Reality-wise, these people are all dead, but in the altered source code, the victims of the terrorist attack now get to live, not die, after their running time is up. The filmmaker ruins the poetry of the moment. But Hollywood, not known for its poetic gestures, especially within the context of a would-be blockbuster, is not going to make allowances for any art-house pretensions, so instead of going out like Anthony Doniel, last seen on the shoreline in Francois Truffaut's "Les quatre cents coupe", "Source Code" tells us that there's life beyond a pre-recording, and sadly, the freeze-frame unfreezes. That's where the film loses me. Since the soldier sends a text message to Coleen(from within the source code), it must mean that he has his own memories, not Sean's, the man he usurped. As aforementioned, Sam Beckett never overstayed his welcome. How long will it take before Christina realizes that the man she's with is not actually Sean? How will she react? Colter can't blame his unfamiliarity with the schoolteacher's life on amnesia, or else he wouldn't be cognizant of Christina. The digitalized woman seems to be in love with an amalgamation(her old feelings for Sean mixed in with Colter's heartfelt pursuance of her). How confusing for her. It's a paradox that "Source Code" may not be aware of. The filmmaker, perhaps under pressure from the studio, simply rams a happy ending down everybody's throats. Logic, be damned! Expand
  14. Apr 2, 2011
    The trailer makes this film look very ordinary, but very early into the actual movie, you realize something interesting is going on. Don't want to spoil anything by comparing it to other films or TV show, but the writing is terrific. The way layers of the onion are peeled back is artful and entertaining. One of the best "major" releases of the young year in my book.
  15. Apr 16, 2011
    Very good movie, was entertaining and kept me in anticipation throughout the entire film. Saw it at a drive-in movie theater and was super fun! I would recommend this movie to just about anyone with half a brain; it will hold your interest.
  16. Sep 18, 2011
    "Source Code" smells like a Hollywood movie with a extreme Hollywood ending. But overall, the movie is nothing like it. It mesmerizes the audience with its powerful cinematography and innovative plot. Truly a movie that is worthy of a Oscar nomination.
  17. Apr 3, 2011
    The movie was entertaining throughout the movie. This movie was a awesome sci-fi action movie that left you with an ending that had you questioning. At the end the "source code" was more then you first thought. It was interesting, and entertaining. I highly recommend to people who aren't going to a movie to tear the plot limb from limb.
  18. Apr 4, 2011
    This is a little movie that in some ways (A list actor, big budget) acts like a big movie. But this is is not a movie focused on great effects but is instead focused on storytelling. Duncan Jones (Moon) is getting closer to his masterpiece certainly.
  19. Apr 6, 2011
    Source Code was a great movie, and for me it was the best one of the year so far. The best part of this movie is how it pays tribute to Alfred **** with the sound track and style. Acting was great, and there were a couple twists throughout that were nice. This movie is very similiar to a movie like Inception, so if you liked Inception, you will probably like this one.
  20. Apr 12, 2011
    Background and insight:

Background and insight:

Pure Science Fiction is often regarded as too complex for film audiences, which is why so often we see it mixed with other genres. Fine examples are the likes of Star Wars and The Matrix (etc), where you get action/westerns mixed with Science Fiction. I have always been a fan of science fiction films. They present a higher (usually) level of imagination than most genres. The rules are not always confined to real world, realistic events or physics. The only real limitation is the imagination of the writer. Science Fiction relies on its audience to suspend belief, which can be a step too far for some viewers, but for me this is one of the reasons I have always loved film, the chance to escape and experience things that only the silver screen can allow you to experience (in the visual sense). I really enjoy writing science fiction, but like the examples above I also tend to mix the genres and stay clear of pure science fiction. Duncan Jones on the other hand has been looked upon as being a modern day saviour of science fiction with his first film Moon. A master class of indie film making that was so well made, it was (and still is) almost impossible to figure out how it was made for a tiny budget of $5 million. But Iâ
  21. Apr 12, 2011
    There are some movies that I see, and on my way out I will consider complaining to the staff and asking for a refund. Then I can't be bothered and end up moaning along with who ever I'm with about the time we just wasted. This isn't one of those films. I enjoyed it, and whilst it isn't perfect I would definitely watch Source Code again, and I recommend you see it when you can.

8/10 gameandmoviereviews.com
  22. Apr 17, 2011
    Good, well written film - but it didn't reach its full potential. The concept is a good one, but it doesn't materialise as good as it sounded on paper but does work well and it's high points are definitely high, but I found the sub-story a little confusing and a little hard to follow. It it wraps up well - if a little cheesily and the mystery story is good, and I felt satisfied walkingGood, well written film - but it didn't reach its full potential. The concept is a good one, but it doesn't materialise as good as it sounded on paper but does work well and it's high points are definitely high, but I found the sub-story a little confusing and a little hard to follow. It it wraps up well - if a little cheesily and the mystery story is good, and I felt satisfied walking out of the theatre. Not exactly jumping for joy screaming 'It was the best film ever' but something I can and do recommend for a fun engaging story. Expand
  23. Oct 16, 2011
    Interesting twist of reality using technology to relive the past. This type of movie always presents idealogical meanings of life and death that will never be answered. I would recommend this movie to anyone that likes movies that present outside of the box concepts.
  24. Apr 14, 2011
    Very complex and deep yet easy for the general public to follow and appreciate. Well worth watching at least once. Most movies of this style (inception, shutter island) are usually very difficult to watch as if you don't hear and see everything the movie tends to become very confusing very fast. But the way that Source Code plays out makes the movie very accessible and fun to watch even ifVery complex and deep yet easy for the general public to follow and appreciate. Well worth watching at least once. Most movies of this style (inception, shutter island) are usually very difficult to watch as if you don't hear and see everything the movie tends to become very confusing very fast. But the way that Source Code plays out makes the movie very accessible and fun to watch even if it isn't your type of movie. Expand
  25. Apr 16, 2011
    Initially, the audience will be left thinking of this film as okay but wondering how it could possibly do anything to make itself stick in your mind. Rest assured, it does develop and proves itself to be an emotional piece of work and cleverly written.
  26. Apr 18, 2011
    It's nice to see the Inception still has an effect on hollywood - not necessarily inspiring people (Duncan Jones was already showing his worth with Moon a few years back), but making it known that films can have fairly complicated plots and still be successful. It isn't nearly as good as Moon, but it's just great to come out of a blockbuster and have something to talk about
  27. Apr 8, 2011
    Normally when movies have multiple points where they could have ended, I feel like the endings are tacked on and ruin some of the impact. But the end of this movie is so bold, challenging, and unexpected that it seems just right. It does raise a few questions, but that's part of the fun! People who are complaining about the ending are lacking in imagination. I enjoyed the experience of theNormally when movies have multiple points where they could have ended, I feel like the endings are tacked on and ruin some of the impact. But the end of this movie is so bold, challenging, and unexpected that it seems just right. It does raise a few questions, but that's part of the fun! People who are complaining about the ending are lacking in imagination. I enjoyed the experience of the film as it kept introducing new little pieces into the puzzle for the audience to try to figure out. The performances, music, and special effects were all well done. Some characters are a bit one dimensional but others you really begin to feel connected to as the story goes on. There is some violence and language but it's not overdone. The whole film is sort of like a cross between "Unstoppable" and "Inception", only it doesn't try to overwhelm your senses. It feels like the director is along with you for the story, instead of forcing it on you. Overall I think this is a well made film and one of the best I've seen in a while. And I'm usually very picky about what I like. I would recommend it to anyone. Expand
  28. Apr 21, 2011
    My kind of movie: smart, fast, extremely well-directed and acted...just a nice, tight piece of work. The kind of movie I will see twice just to catch all the interesting set-ups and nuances. A very talented director doing a complex piece of work on a very reasonable budget - definitely worth watching director Duncan Jones' career develop. Terrific score, production values andMy kind of movie: smart, fast, extremely well-directed and acted...just a nice, tight piece of work. The kind of movie I will see twice just to catch all the interesting set-ups and nuances. A very talented director doing a complex piece of work on a very reasonable budget - definitely worth watching director Duncan Jones' career develop. Terrific score, production values and cinematography. Good script. A few logic holes and some script issues later - I would never spoil anyone else's movie experience, so no specific complaints here. To sum up....okay, I kind of loved this film, noting it's not perfect. But go see it. It deserves the effort...it really does. Expand
  29. Apr 6, 2011
    It was an utter joy for me to watch. It's "Groundhog Day" meets "Minority Report", both of which are brilliant films. This is a good film, let it be said. However, the science they base this theory on is utter rubbish. But don't try to be clever or say 'Well, that's not what would happen'. If you think you're clever,sit back and instead of poking at it's plot holes, just attempt to enjoyIt was an utter joy for me to watch. It's "Groundhog Day" meets "Minority Report", both of which are brilliant films. This is a good film, let it be said. However, the science they base this theory on is utter rubbish. But don't try to be clever or say 'Well, that's not what would happen'. If you think you're clever,sit back and instead of poking at it's plot holes, just attempt to enjoy the film, which shouldn't be too difficult. Expand
  30. Apr 25, 2011
    2011 has been a crap year for movies so far, the only good movie i have seen since the green hornet is lincoln lawyer and adjustment bureau, Source code might not be for everyone, but it is the best 2011 has to offer

1. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 8, 2011
    Source Code is a formally disciplined work -- a triumph of movie syntax -- made with rhythm and pace. Jones, unlike most commercial directors, accelerates the tempo without producing visual gibberish. [11 April, 2011 p. 88]
  2. Reviewed by: Una LaMarche
    Apr 6, 2011
    The psychological payoffs outweigh any implausibilities. And what's the harm in logging off your network for a few hours to indulge in some good old-fashioned science fiction?
  3. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Apr 3, 2011
    It is a tremendous downer when the second half of the movie shirks logic, defies its own established principles and raises more questions than it answers.