7.6

1. Jan 16, 2014
    This is second Jake Gyllenhaal in row I have watched and have come away impressed with his ability to carry a movie. The script was a well done for a sci-fi with a limited premise. Think groundhog day meets an alternate reality/time travel episode on star trek. That being said it is the human element and the characters that drive this movie vs. the sci-fi element the film is based on. Definitely worth the rent. Expand
  2. Dec 21, 2013
    Very interesting concept anyone that's played Remember Me (2013 video game) will probably enjoy this. Basically you watch the same film clip over and over again but what makes it interesting is that each time you find out more about the story and the character overall. Source Code certainly doesn't come short in the originality department and it executes it very well. The only problem is that not much seemed to happen. The backstory and plot and characters were nowhere near deep enough or explored given the time and opportunities. It's not something for everyone, and I wouldn't call it a great film in its own right, but I can credit it for its uniqueness. Expand
  3. Dec 16, 2013
    Solid Sci-Fi movie with a solid hook. The conversations between sim runs are very nicely shot so as to not reveal too much too soon, which keeps you closely bound to the perspective of Colter Stevens as you're watching. Like a movie version of a first-person book. Jake Gyllenhaal was a really good pick for this movie because of the mindshare he brings to the table from his other movies.
  4. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not an amazing movie. The idea behind the history is a little lie. And they dont explane nothing.
    How a dead man can enter in another dead people to live 8 minutes of his ending? And thw worst, not just the 8 ending moments of his life, but in other dimensions, making what he want to make?

If you enter in the dead mind to look his 8 minutes left, you will just look that moment, you will cant change, just see that!
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    Good movie with an interesting storyline, nice cast. Do not know what else to say, definitely worth watching for everyone who likes movies with a slight touch of Sci-Fi or movies with amazing plots.
  6. Sep 21, 2013
    Source Code has a simple premise, and mediocre execution. The story keeps jumping from this time to this to that and sometimes I was lost. As someone who sat through Inception and basically understood 85% of it, this movie really confused me. Not just because of the story, but how Jake Gyllenhaal agreed to sign on to this project.
  7. Sep 19, 2013
    [3.9] Not only is it hard to sit through the same scene an hour and a half, but it doesn't help when that scene is accompanied by less than believable acting, lack of originality, and an incredibly formulaic story. Making a mystery story with out any suspense, and one that is completely predictable, is something I could care less for.
  8. Jul 29, 2013
    I liked how 'blockbuster-action-big' this was at places, while remaining thoughtful. Very entertaining ride, with the same kind of twisty creativity that made Jones'-directed Moon a worthwhile sci fi-movie.
  9. Jul 18, 2013
    Duncan Jones is showing he is one of the best sci-fi directors going today. Sure Source Code takes different elements from other films similar to his 2009 film Moon, but just like that film he adds a unique style that works perfectly. A
  10. May 3, 2013
    unfortunately source code isn't an original story cause we all seen this before however Jake Gyllenhaal is a good actor and he did his part very well but the story is not convincing at all which made some acting scenes were out of place i blame the writer and the director for the fact that i didn't enjoy the movie at all.
  11. Apr 2, 2013
    Duncan Jones directs a fast-paced and surprisingly thrilling film with Source Code, and could just be a hit with everyone.
    Jake Gyllenhaal stars as who we believe to be Sean Fentress, who has awoken aboard a train going towards downtown Chicago, but he is does not remember how he got here in the first place.
    We soon learn that he is not this train commuter at all, but he is actually a
    man locked up in a time-traveling mechanism that is inside the thoughts of another man...got that?
    Basically we see him as Gyllenhaal, and he has all the memories of his actual self, Colter Stevens, but he actually appears to be this other guy to everyone else, and this is brilliantly done,through going back to the same position he was put in at the start of the film by the shady company who are using him to try and prevent a terrorist attack.
    Michelle Monaghan also stars as the woman in the seat across from Colonel Stevens, someone he doesn't know but she of course is seeing Sean Fentress which makes for very interesting chemistry and at times quite humorous dialogue.
    Gyllenhaal exceeds in his role as the double man form different realities, combining pulsating action with charm and sophistication, and carries the film exceptionally well for its attention-demanding plot.
    My one very small complaint is perhaps the too-good-to-be-true ending, which was nice to see, but could easily have been flipped on its side and demanded more, while only a small complaint, I think it is still relevant considering the excellent story.
    The ridiculousness of the plot can be overlooked in so many ways by simply enjoying the story going on in front of you, as Stevens begins to get the hang of his time jumping each time he fails and is put back in the same place, remembering occurrences that are about to happen.
    But with a gripping turn in the story, its simply brilliant to sit back and watch the drama unfold in front of you, with plenty of interesting characters who all serve a purpose to Colonel Stevens mission.
    The thrill ride of Source Code never stops and continuously takes many twists and turns that add up to one of the best films of the year, surprising, enjoyable and heaps of fun and that does put a unique rhythm on the idea of time travelling and consequences.
  12. Mar 24, 2013
    Uninteresting and not very memorable, although in some scenes is exciting.
  13. Mar 13, 2013
    Source Code took me by surprise. The premise of a bomb being planted somewhere and our hero having to capture the bad-guy made me expecting a sort of action movie la Die Hard but instead it offered this very deep psychological thriller that'll make you think. There is some excellent chemistry between the protagonist Colter Stevens (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his counterpart Christina Warren (Michelle Monaghan) which makes sure that the inevitable romance doesn't look awkward. Colleen Goodwin (Vera Farmiga) does an excellent job as well, playing the devil's advocate. The twist at the ending is a bit of a braintwister and far too open to interpretation and the movie would have fared better off without it if you ask me. Because of this reason alone I can't give it a 10. This is one of the most captivating thrillers I have seen in my life. Expand
  14. Feb 22, 2013
    I love movies that make you think, and Source Code will do that, the problem is, that what you're thinking is probably what's going to happen. This film is a take on the TV show Quantum Leap, but instead of leaping until the issue is solved, the leaper only has 8 minutes to try and solve the problem. Jake Gyllenhaal stars and while I usually don't care for him much, he was excellent here. I have a feeling this character may have been written specifically for him, because he's got a strange style and seems to not fit many of his roles. Source Code is another film in a genre of endless possibilities, it tries really hard to stand out and be special, but sadly it's pretty predictable, while playing off other established material, such as Quantum Leap and The Matrix. It is an enjoyable film and one of Gyllenhaal's best performances that i've seen, but if you're into Science Fiction, the way that I am, you're not gonna have much trouble figuring this one out. Expand
  15. Feb 20, 2013
    Source code is one of the smarter and more original science fiction movies (It was directed by Duncan Jones who made Moon also worth checking out). I gave it 6 point because, while it is somewhat original, unfortunately can not avoid the usual Hollywood clichés, and becomes predictable. Worth checking out, but will not be remembered much...
  16. Feb 16, 2013
    This is a very well made film with lots of attention to detail, everything fits and everything works pretty well. There are overtones of Groundhog Day (1993), in that a time period is repeated, but I found this one very different. Although not as good as ‘Moon’, IMO, I really liked this film and I’m glad I gave it a second look. It’s nicely paced, there’s a pretty good soundtrack, although it’s quite subdued and at ninety three minutes, it’s not too long. Over all, it’s a well written, nicely paced piece of science fiction with quite a nice twist at the end. Comparisons have been made with ‘Inception’ but I’m not even going to go there, they are totally different. I didn’t score it quite as highly as first time around because I felt it didn’t have quite the impact it did on the big screen. Still a very enjoyable watch though.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED My score: 8.2/10.
  17. Feb 6, 2013
    To be honest, I went into this movie not knowing a single thing at all about it. No trailers. No description. Nothing. All I knew was that it was meant to be some sort of Sci-Fi or thriller. It totally blew me away. While I did see the ending coming a mile away, it still went about it in a clever way. This is perhaps the only Jake Gyllenhaal movie I can remember liking both him and the movie at the same time. The acting is decent. The writing is clever (perhaps too clever at times,) and the premise is really interesting. Overall A movie that perhaps could have had a bit more time to tighten up a few minor plot holes, but I'm not sure how they would have done that without ruining it. I would really like to see this kind of movie being made again, just perhaps on a grander scale. Expand
  18. Jan 22, 2013
    Source Code is confusing on all levels which it makes it nearly impossible to stay interested in. The ending of the movie is so far-fetched for even movies that it becomes completely unrealistic.
  19. Dec 7, 2012
    A really smart film. Unfortunately, it was also forgotten by many people, partly due its release date in Spring 2011; it came out in the weird months prior to blockbuster season. The repeating 8 minute scene never gets old as director Duncan Jones (Moon) proves he is a solid director in his second directorial effort.
  20. Nov 28, 2012
    While it can't even spit in the proverbial direction of Jones' first classic "Moon," "Source Code" is still an interesting action film, making some hard-to-swallow subject matter actually comprehensible.
  21. Nov 18, 2012
    This is one of the most exactly mediocre films I've seen. In terms of artistic merit it's actually Romantic fodder. The lead actors are good (Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan), the supporting actors are fair, the plot is unoriginal (as I saw another user review say), and the musical score makes me seasick. That said, it's a mainstream flick, what else can you expect. A good way to judge how good a drama is a lot of times is how good the few jokes are that are interspersed throughout a movie. The jokes were cheesy, which in my mind solidifies this movie as not good. I have to admit, there are some clever moments here and there; but they are few and far in between. There's simply no irony in any of the main plot points. No sarcasm. In my opinion good movies have a post-modern flair. Great or excellent movies are meta-modern. If Impressionism were a film movement, this wouldn't even be that. Not even proto-impressionism. Pure Romanticism. In other words, for people who have no idea what I'm talking about, this movie is neither bad nor good. I can't even say it's okay, because it plays it too safe. Keyword: Plain. Expand
  22. Nov 18, 2012
    Absolutely amazing movie ... I watched all movies of Duncan Jones ...Moon and Whistle (Short Film) are also wonderful ... I'm looking forward to watch the other project of Duncan Jones ...
  23. Sep 26, 2012
    Interesting twist on what could have been a predictable plot. Nice surprises. Good tension throughout. All in all a highly entertaining suspense film. It's becoming harder and harder to find movies on this genre that are as worth the time as Source Code is.
  24. Aug 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Duncan Jones's follow-up film to "Moon" follows a similar path of revealing major issues of worker compensation within the frame of a story much larger in scale. Unlike similar indie directors, it appears Jones was able to handle the larger budget without problem. Expand
  25. Jul 21, 2012
    Source Code has secured Duncan Jones' funding for a few more films as he continues to show what an excellent talent he is in the sci-fi genre. The film started to become slightly repetitive towards the latter stages but all in all this film was very good. I believe that the talents of Jake Gyllenhaal helped to steer the audience throughout this picture.
  26. Jun 23, 2012
    I loved this movie so much because it's a good start with an original idea and, in reverse of other films, managed to finish in a charming way. The direction is fantastic and the actors are great.
  27. May 6, 2012
    Source Code is not a thriller that keeps you guessing. The plot is believable and presents very few surprises. But it keeps you on the edge of your seat as you watch a man who doesn't know his own identity slowly discover the clues that reveal the truth.
  28. Apr 5, 2012
    Source Code is perfect just the way it is. It keeps you guessing, has great acting, very decently filmed, and the story completely works. I'd say its a masterpiece.
  29. Apr 1, 2012
    An intriguing mystery with the scents of Groundhog Day and The Matrix. The special effects did not overshadow the plot, although some of it was hard to get my head round. Jake Gyllenhaal acts very realistically and the action was very well-paced. Surprisingly a very heart-pounding well crafted action thriller. The ending was fantastically unpredictable and I never would have known that it would be that beautiful. The film left on very high note. Expand
  30. Mar 26, 2012
    The overall premise of a person being able to relive a persons last eight minutes may sound ludicrous, but the movie does a good and believable job of explaining how it is done. While the movie is science-fiction there is a level of believability to what is happening and â

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 8, 2011
    Source Code is a formally disciplined work -- a triumph of movie syntax -- made with rhythm and pace. Jones, unlike most commercial directors, accelerates the tempo without producing visual gibberish. [11 April, 2011 p. 88]
  2. Reviewed by: Una LaMarche
    Apr 6, 2011
    The psychological payoffs outweigh any implausibilities. And what's the harm in logging off your network for a few hours to indulge in some good old-fashioned science fiction?
  3. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Apr 3, 2011
    It is a tremendous downer when the second half of the movie shirks logic, defies its own established principles and raises more questions than it answers.