1.7

Overwhelming dislike- based on 94 Ratings

1. AnthonyF.
    Mar 4, 2006
    A terrible sequel. But its action can sometimes prove its worth.
  2. TimD.
    Apr 3, 2006
    [***SPOILERS***] The ending of this film makes it marginally worthwhile. As the ship approaches the land the director has been kind enough to give away lines presumably as prizes in local newspaper competitions, leading to a series of 'oh no!' walk-ons by people visibly enthralled to have a part in a 'blockbuster' movie. First prize must go to the caribbean woman who [***SPOILERS***] The ending of this film makes it marginally worthwhile. As the ship approaches the land the director has been kind enough to give away lines presumably as prizes in local newspaper competitions, leading to a series of 'oh no!' walk-ons by people visibly enthralled to have a part in a 'blockbuster' movie. First prize must go to the caribbean woman who drops her shopping, but it's a tough call. The very premise of this film is ridiculous. The reason nobody ever watches sailing during the olympics is because you have no gauge how fast the vehicles are going. With no static object to pass it just looks as if the cruiser is tottering along playfully. Oh, and everything else in this film is rubbish. Sandra Bullock doesn't even look that good in a bikini. A pauper's Jurassic Park III. Expand
  3. WesE.
    Dec 5, 2005
    Speed was like witnessing the first time Keanu Reeves rode a bike. It was a modestly entertaining film that revealed why Keanu captured the role in the original Matrix. Speed 2, in comparison, was like recieving an enema the size of a Boeing 747. It's really, really bad.
  4. Mar 28, 2011
    Stupid to the absolute fullest extent. I wanted Keanu Reeves in this so goddamn bad so that I could finally say that he is a terrible actor. And by the way, who the hell is going to believe this story? It's ridiculous!
  5. Jun 15, 2014
    I love the original Speed. The quintessential Die Hard of the 90's. If it wasn't for this sequel to be made on a ship instead of a bus, there wouldn't be no Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Instead, all you get is a horrid but douchebag actor named Robert Patric, a not-so-hotshot villlain played by William Dafoe, and an unwelcome surprise. The director comes back for more Speed...well atI love the original Speed. The quintessential Die Hard of the 90's. If it wasn't for this sequel to be made on a ship instead of a bus, there wouldn't be no Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Instead, all you get is a horrid but douchebag actor named Robert Patric, a not-so-hotshot villlain played by William Dafoe, and an unwelcome surprise. The director comes back for more Speed...well at least he tried. Speed 2: Cruise Control is the polar opposite of bad movie sequels. Well, at least Batman & Robin was better than this one. I don't get it with a movie that blowed me away in 1994 involves a bus that's going to blow up 1000 miles sky high and 3 years later turned it into a vacation getaway into a... I don't know...something about hacking a cruise ship? At least, you probably know about the movie. This is one of the worst bombs and worst sequels of all time because there are 3 things this movie is a bumbarded waste:

1. Bad casting choices.
    2. the story is terrible, can't even stay loyal to the infamous bomb on a bus scene from the 94 version.
    3. Lack of character development, not enough hype, and a ridiculous soundtrack with only reggae music.

Sure, the film was a success at the box office, but we don't care anymore. I definitely want to see a reboot of the film anytime soon. Any director who is capable of bringing back the moments I love about the original version, it's gotta be a fair and very successful director like David Fincher. I wasn't even too happy with Roger Ebert's review of "Cruise Control," It's just painfully unwatchable.
  6. May 2, 2012
    Le premier film avait beau se montrer idiot et invraisemblable question scénario et personnages, il n'empêche qu'il restait un excellent divertissement de part son incroyable punch. Car, oui, que serait Speed sans son énergie? Et bien, cela donnerait Speed 2... Une suite bien en dessous du premier car étant moins palpitante, ce quiLe premier film avait beau se montrer idiot et invraisemblable question scénario et personnages, il n'empêche qu'il restait un excellent divertissement de part son incroyable punch. Car, oui, que serait Speed sans son énergie? Et bien, cela donnerait Speed 2... Une suite bien en dessous du premier car étant moins palpitante, ce qui ressort encore plus le côté grotesque et incroyablement con de l'affaire (la trame, les personnages...). Et si ce n'était que ça... Mauvais effets spéciaux, pas de mise en scène, des acteurs pitoyables (même Willem Dafoe manque de charisme!), des dialogues immondes... Bref, Speed 2 ressemble plus à L'Aventure du Poséidon avec un terroriste à bord (en moins bon, bien entendu). Quand même sauvé par sa dernière demie-heure (enfin) énergique, ce film se montre inutile, tout comme Sandra Bullock (tout simplement énervante et ridicule!). Expand
  7. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think it tries to be bigger and more exotic than the first but fails as a successor. Whilst I was entertained, I didn't really care about the characters and acting was pretty generic, but I liked the setting that they chose. Overall it's a decent action flick and passed 2 hours well. Keanu Reeves would be the only thing saving it, but he is replaced by another character and actor. Everything that happens is a bit outlandish and how could the same incidents almost happen to the same person. Expand
  8. chw
    Aug 22, 2014
    Speed 2 shouldn't have been made. Keanu Reeves left probably to shoot Point Break, The Matrix or something... After he left, they're were five train wrecks on the set of this movie.
  9. Sep 28, 2015
    Horrible and hideous to the extreme it shouldn't have been made! What a horrible, **** sequel to an awesome film! Disgraceful! A good example of a horrible sequel. You can tell EXACTLY why Keanu turned it down and rejected Speed 2 even though he was offered a $12 million paycheck. Just watch the entire film and you'll see why: it's flat out boring and lame. Unnecessary sequel. For me, thatHorrible and hideous to the extreme it shouldn't have been made! What a horrible, **** sequel to an awesome film! Disgraceful! A good example of a horrible sequel. You can tell EXACTLY why Keanu turned it down and rejected Speed 2 even though he was offered a $12 million paycheck. Just watch the entire film and you'll see why: it's flat out boring and lame. Unnecessary sequel. For me, that was a very wise move, Keanu! I would totally give him the props (bro fist) and five thumbs up, not for ditching Jan and Sandra but for criticizing the film's plot, setting and script. He knows what a horrible, **** sequel is when he sees it. Even if Keanu returned as Jack, he would truly shine as Jack but that's not enough to save this movie. You're better off watching the first film. Great decision Keanu! You truly deserve a raise! Jason Patrick, although he does do his best to shine as Annie's new policeman fiancé, let's face it: NOBODY, not even Jason can replace Keanu's role (no offence). Jack has just the right facial appearance and the right amount of mischief in his eyes to be a born heroic cop. He's the MAN! Although Sandra, Willem and director Jan try to prevent this already waterlogged sequel from sinking to the bottom of the ocean by inserting some twists and turns, a few action sequences and some laughable dialogue, the biggest flop of this sequel is the lack of thrill with a slow-moving cruise ship rather than a fast, wired-for-explosive-destruction bomb laden city bus zooming above 50 MPH through the streets of Los Angeles and ending up at the airport. Even when the ship crashes into a beach town of Saint Martin bringing it to a halt, look at how slow the ship is, even at full speed. It BARELY damaged the area. I mean, look at the substantial amount of deceleration in this film. It was slower and poorer, like a garbage truck or by watching paint dry. As soon as Kenau declined to reprise his role as Jack, Sandra (as Annie) should have followed. The director Jan could have done a better job at the plot line and setting like have Daniel Payne (Howard's son) avenge his father's death by rigging a huge C4 in the cargo area of a Boeing 737 that Jack, his wife Annie and their two sons are flying on vacation to Hawaii activate if it accelerates above 185 knots and ascends above 2300 feet (the captain or first officer gets injured leaving the other pilot to fly the plane with Jack and Annie assisting him. After ALL the hostages parachute to safety from the moving plane, the out of fuel Boeing 737 nosedives into the ground. Jack, Mac and Annie continue to defeat Daniel using a slightly different scam than from the first film. After Jack, Mac and Annie kill Daniel, they all head home into the sunset or eat pizza in a restaurant. That's more like what the plot should have been; on a fast moving vehicle, with Keanu and Sandra's characters married (they make such an adorable couple) and a few newcomer child actors for the two sons. This flopped sequel just killed the speed film franchise. I doubt there will ever be a Speed 3 (Keanu declined the possibility of a third film) and if there is and reunites Keanu and Sandy, I just hope they can still maintain their young looks from the '90s. Annie's character is significantly reduced here. Also, Glenn Plummer, Joe Morton and Sandra Bullock are the only ones to reprise. Jan should have abandoned the project for a sequel when Reeves quit. Honestly, Keanu is so smart and generous to decline and explore other opportunities. WELL DONE KEANU THUMBS UP! Expand
  10. Apr 4, 2016
    A cruise that was already sunken before the cruise was actually getting started. Guess what happens to it next? I've not seen any fish that can eat cruises, but I believe I saw one swallowing up this entire cruise whole after it sunk. If I had a DVD copy of this movie, I'd only watch the trailers from movies, the THX logo, and look more into this movie than actually seeing the whole movie itself.
  11. Jan 6, 2016
    If there was ever an action movie that didn't warrant a sequel, it's Speed. However, the film grossed enough money to be numbered among the big summer hits of 1994, and the unfortunate result is this film, which reunites director Jan de Bont with leading lady Sandra Bullock, while leaving Keanu Reeves somewhere safe and dry, "working on his music" with his band, Dogstar. Considering theIf there was ever an action movie that didn't warrant a sequel, it's Speed. However, the film grossed enough money to be numbered among the big summer hits of 1994, and the unfortunate result is this film, which reunites director Jan de Bont with leading lady Sandra Bullock, while leaving Keanu Reeves somewhere safe and dry, "working on his music" with his band, Dogstar. Considering the dubious quality of the final product, this may be the wisest decision of the young actor's career. Speed 2 can be numbered among the worst second chapters ever made.

The original Speed was an entertaining jolt of pure adrenaline that took everyone by surprise. De Bont was an instant success and Bullock became a hot commodity. It was almost inevitable that any sequel, no matter how thrilling, would be a letdown. What no one anticipated was how sharply the downturn would be. Not only is Speed 2 missing the first movie's main character, but the excitement seems to have departed with him.

This time around, Keanu Reeves' Jack Traven has been replaced by Jason Patric's Alex Shaw. For the most part, they're the same person (it shouldn't surprise anyone to learn that Alex was originally written as Jack), and their function is identical. The highest paid member of the cast, Sandra Bullock, is back as Annie. Now, having broken up with Jack, she's in the midst of a long- term relationship with Alex. Things are a little rocky between them, so Alex comes up with a solution: a romantic cruise to the Caribbean on the Seabourn Legend. However, just like John McLane in the Die Hard series, Annie is about to find herself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also aboard the Seabourn Legend is a mentally-unstable computer genius named John Geiger (played without any panache by Willem Dafoe) who intends to take over the ship, crank the engines up to full power, and crash it into something very big.

Speed 2 is a classic example of "sound and fury, signifying nothing." Only, in this case, that "nothing" isn't bolstered by the high-energy tension and tremendous special effects of de Bont's previous excursion, Twister. Speed 2 is lackluster -- the plot methodically drives the film from one action set-piece to another, and the visuals are merely adequate. In fact, the only real thrill offered by Speed 2 comes during the bloated movie's final half-hour (as the ship's collision course becomes apparent). By then, it's too little, too late.

The original Speed was frantically paced and featured a number of individuals that, in spite of their two-dimensionality, were likable and exhibited human characteristics. We felt like we were trapped on the bus with them. This time, the pace and characters are mechanical, and it doesn't seem as if we're actually on board the endangered cruise ship. Instead, we're watching form a detached vantage point, noticing details that we're not supposed to be paying attention to (like what kind of lighting best highlights Bullock's features) or waiting in vain for someone to break into a chorus of "The Love Boat."

Jason Patric has one mode: serious. The actor, who is best suited to introspective, brooding roles (as in The Journey of August King), treats this ridiculous screenplay like it's War and Peace. There's no sense of fun or goofiness. I never thought I would admit to missing Reeves, but that's the situation here -- at least he understood the right tone to adopt. Meanwhile, Bullock plays the same part the same way (albeit for a lot more money) -- she looks cute, gets involved in a couple of action scenes, and is taken hostage. But she and Patric never click; their chemistry is glacial.

Since Dennis Hopper's Howard Payne was decapitated at the end of Speed, the sequel needs a new villain. Enter Willem Dafoe, who's usually a good psycho. Not here, though. Geiger has no manic energy, and Dafoe doesn't seem particularly excited to be playing him. Speed 2 is the kind of film that demands a strong opponent, but Geiger isn't it. Meanwhile, there are a few interesting cameos: Tim Conway and Bo Svenson have small parts, and Speed veterans Joe Morton and Glenn Plummer are on hand for a couple of scenes.

Watching Speed 2, I felt embarrassed for everyone involved. Sure, they're all being well- paid, but no one wants a $120 million flop on their resume. And, once the word gets out about how disappointing this movie is, crowds will dwindle. There are enough action alternatives out there to sate the public's summer appetite. Someone should have recognized what an appropriate metaphor the climactic sequence (which features massive destruction) is for the entire film. Speed 2 appears headed for a box office disaster of titanic proportions. Creatively and entertainment-wise, it's already sunk.

Not nearly as clever at taxing the audience's knuckles as its forerunner, Speed 2 still manages to stay above board long enough to merit a look-see, if only to relish the once-in-a-lifetime pleasure of Mr. Dafoe and his pet leeches.
    Movies like this embrace goofiness with an almost sensual pleasure.
    Speed 2 can be numbered among the worst second chapters ever made.