7.9

1. Jul 24, 2013
    The films suffers a lot from its feelings of fake like elements and advance technology that distinctly feels different from its television show; similar to the Star Wars prequel franchise, but despite the slightly weak and dark plot, the film works okay. The narrative and acting was subpar, but I couldn't help to admit that the racing scenes were good. Though it takes a darker turn to aThe films suffers a lot from its feelings of fake like elements and advance technology that distinctly feels different from its television show; similar to the Star Wars prequel franchise, but despite the slightly weak and dark plot, the film works okay. The narrative and acting was subpar, but I couldn't help to admit that the racing scenes were good. Though it takes a darker turn to a cartoon that is more lighthearted, it works a little in its favor, but also works worse in its favor as well. "Speed Racer" may suffer from its narrative and usage of technology, the film has dark twists and a nice racing sequence. Expand
  2. MattK
    May 12, 2008
    Not up to par with their previous efforts. Extremely pretty to look at, acted well enough, but the script is terrible---not what I expected out of the Wachowskis. Sometimes, especially in the first twenty minutes, the storytelling seems like it'd be pretty hard to follow for the target audience: children.
  3. sYZYGY
    May 11, 2008
    A loud, endlessly pulsating thud of a movie. Even dead, this baby would've kept kicking. Psychedelic art has nothing on the frenetic color scheme found here, minus any charm or interest. To think that after all that numbing noise and color, all of which prevents you from forming any attachments to the story or characters, the film would end with cheap emotional theatrics.
  4. JayH.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Too over the top and I did not care for the stylized special effects, but it did have some imagination and a good pace, as well as some memorable moments. The acting was fine.
  5. JudyT.
    May 11, 2008
    We got just what one would have excepted from the two brothers that ruined a good Matrix movie. A lame, long, CGI filled mess with no interesting story or characters. I gave it a six because the race sequences through more like a roller derby were good and were the only part of the movie that my grandson paid attention to. Most of the kids in the audience were bored to distraction.
  6. Vincenzo
    Sep 22, 2008
    I am stunned by the number of people giving this a 9 or a 10. This movie was JUSTLY criticised by critics for being poorly scripted, overlong, gawdy and fake. Whilst I wouldn't call the movie boring, there is nothing memorbale about it whatsoever. To those of you calling it "innovative" did you not see the pod race in the phantom menace? I would argue that looked more realistic, with I am stunned by the number of people giving this a 9 or a 10. This movie was JUSTLY criticised by critics for being poorly scripted, overlong, gawdy and fake. Whilst I wouldn't call the movie boring, there is nothing memorbale about it whatsoever. To those of you calling it "innovative" did you not see the pod race in the phantom menace? I would argue that looked more realistic, with more urgency and creativty, than this. Great actors like Emile Hirsch and John Goodman are wasted in very poorly written roles. Cardboard movies can be fun, and even art -I might cite Kill Bill as one that is more succesful in doing this. If Speed Racer is the future then I may end up avoiding the cinema Expand
  7. Nov 15, 2013
    Speed Racer slows to a halt.
    The film has little to nothing good about it except that at times it can be entertaining. The action feels purposely bad like a 70's cartoon. The acting is poor and the overall direction of the movie is terrible. The script has redeeming qualities and seems to have attempted to be a good film, but the execution is atrocious.

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    This is not a film occurring in an alternate or imaginary reality; rather, it is a film of NO reality, that is, a picture that changes the rules of its universe strictly according to its creators' whims.
  2. Unlike a Pixar cartoon that embraces as wide an audience as possible, Speed Racer proudly denies entry into its ultra-bright world to all but gamers, fanboys and anime enthusiasts. Story and character are tossed aside to focus obsessively on PG-rated action and milk-guzzling heroes.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Aimed squarely at family audiences, the Wachowski Brothers' return behind the camera for the first time since the "Matrix" trilogy is a blur of video action painting and very loud sounds notable solely for its technical wizardry. In every other respect, it's pure cotton candy -- entirely non-nutritious but too sweet and pretty for young people to resist.