7.9

1. JamailS.
    Jul 2, 2004
    Amazing spiderman proved to be more than amazing. it was not the effects that made it great (for the record: "it was superb") but the humanity of it all. sam raimi gave us a rendition of a spiderman which eclipse the stereo-typical definition of a superhero. peter parker was human after all; confusion and indecision gets him, hurt affects him, and most he feels. most of the timeAmazing spiderman proved to be more than amazing. it was not the effects that made it great (for the record: "it was superb") but the humanity of it all. sam raimi gave us a rendition of a spiderman which eclipse the stereo-typical definition of a superhero. peter parker was human after all; confusion and indecision gets him, hurt affects him, and most he feels. most of the time superheroes are portrayed as strong and can never be broken by psychological troubles. here we see a superhero who is confused, still the hero in him reigned. "I will never die a monster" Dr. Octavius said and not his villain side for it was a realization that no matter how good or bad a person or someone is, always the greater "good" reigns. thumbs-up to the actors and everybody involve in these movie. Expand
  2. GerronK
    Oct 3, 2004
    A wonderful sequel to the first Spider-man film! This film is emotionally affecting, visually stunning and is an artistic achievement in the super hero genre. Maguire and Dunst both give enthralling performances. One of the top films of 2004.
  3. RobertA.
    ^_^ fantastic! ^_^ inspirational ^_^ I thank them for making it! ^_^
  4. ChickenM.
    Jul 10, 2004
    Crazy awesome.
  5. AkhilK.
    Jul 3, 2004
    An incredible movie! You have to see it. It is one of those movies that will blow your mind no matter how high your expectations are.
  6. Quiet
    Jul 5, 2004
    Having just seen this... wow. This is how a comic book movie should always be made. The various story arcs were tight, well filmed, well acted, etc. I am curious how they are going to make movies 3-6 (from what I hear they have 6 movies planned out). If they are close to as good as this... wow.
  7. MonicaT.
    Jul 5, 2004
    Cool, good special effects, perfect and talented cast, good storyline, good ending.
  8. BillB.
    Jul 30, 2006
    amazing from start to finish. spider-man is without a doubt the best comic character to be translated to the big screen.
  9. Anthonyl.
    Aug 10, 2006
    I just caught this movie on hbo again the other day and damn do i love this movie. it really does have everything mixed into one movie. it captures the spirit of the comic book perfectly, while also translating to mainstream audiences. i can not wait for the next one.
  10. TroyM.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Spider-Man 2 was fantastic!!! It has everything: humor, romance, excellent action scenes, and great special effects. Even if you are not a comic book fan, you will love this movie.
  11. MichaelG.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Excellent film. Much better than the first film. The first part of the film is funny and sad at the same time. Raimi really makes you feel how hard it is to be Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The mid point drags a little bit but the action is top notch-especially the train sequence. Excellent, one of the top films of 2004 (so far)
  12. Fantasy
    Jun 30, 2004
    Stupendous. Better than the original. Don't miss it.
  13. CameronS.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Excellent Movie, Better acting, Better Special effects and it was just down right great! I really really hope that Spiderman 3 is going to be good as this one. I think this one is better than the first! Go see this movie!
  14. MaxwellS.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Amazing. So great to see a fun comic book action movie with such complex and real characters instead of focusing on one character with a bunch of supporting cardboard cutouts. Look forward to the third one very, very much.
  15. BoyWonder
    Jun 30, 2004
    An absolute MUST SEE for anyone. You dont have to be a dedicated spiderman comic fan to truly appreciate this masterpiece of cinematic engineering :)
  16. JonathanM.
    Jun 30, 2004
    This movie is so good it made me want to crap my pants. It totally blew my mind.
  17. RickG.
    Jun 30, 2004
    This is one of those rare films of the comic book genre that I would actually recommend to people who have never read comics. Spider Man 2 picks up where the last one left off and the character development is better here than in the previous film. This one has more laughs than the first one and it's not just laughter at JK Simmons playing J Johan Jameson. Great Summer entertainment. This is one of those rare films of the comic book genre that I would actually recommend to people who have never read comics. Spider Man 2 picks up where the last one left off and the character development is better here than in the previous film. This one has more laughs than the first one and it's not just laughter at JK Simmons playing J Johan Jameson. Great Summer entertainment. Go see it and enjoy yourself. Expand
  18. DonnieP.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Not just a great super hero movie, but simply a great movie. Characters you care about in a story that take you all over the place emotionally. CGI is unreal and the acting is as good as anything you'll see this year. I doubt I'll see anything this good for a long time.
  19. RobertH.
    Jul 1, 2004
    Absolutely first rate. Starts out a bit slow but picks up steam quickly. The only negative is the operating room scene which reminds one of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (may be too intense for small children,) but other than that, Spidey really delivers. Better than the original. Should do $100,000,000 the first weekend as the theaters were packed with a new showing every thirty minutes. Absolutely first rate. Starts out a bit slow but picks up steam quickly. The only negative is the operating room scene which reminds one of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (may be too intense for small children,) but other than that, Spidey really delivers. Better than the original. Should do $100,000,000 the first weekend as the theaters were packed with a new showing every thirty minutes. Don't miss it. Expand
  20. Starfox
    Jul 1, 2004
    Fantastic. Easily the best comic book / super hero movie ever made.
  21. TerryW.
    Jul 19, 2004
    What an awesome movie! Easily the best of the year!
  22. O.W.
    Jul 28, 2004
    Truly the best movie uv the year. its action packed and exciig through the whole movie. in my top ten mos fav movies uv all time. its truly amazing. if i could i would rate it 15/10. Amazing.
  23. MichaelR.
    Jul 2, 2004
    If you liked the first movie at all, you'll definatley like this one as well. Sam Raimi and crew did not pussyfoot around with this movie.
  24. AdamR.
    Jul 29, 2004
    This movie is truely amazing, and it is worth seeing. This is the best and my most anticipated MARVEL production to date. It is a great action film and it also has a good story.
  25. JenniferK.
    Jul 2, 2004
    The action was so awesome. I was so drawn into the emotional issues. Spiderman was funnier in this movie than in the first one.
  26. Lumiere
    Jul 3, 2004
    This movie was outstanding and by far the best movie this year since you can't count animated movies :p. Well if you liked the first Spider-Man you will love this one the feel is even better now as it blends in very nice. Even if you didn't you should give this a chance because it is a better film then the first one. In this one everything doesn't go Spider-man's way. This movie was outstanding and by far the best movie this year since you can't count animated movies :p. Well if you liked the first Spider-Man you will love this one the feel is even better now as it blends in very nice. Even if you didn't you should give this a chance because it is a better film then the first one. In this one everything doesn't go Spider-man's way. He does terrible in school, loses his superpowers and almost loses Mary Jane for good. Then he decides to quit being Spider-Man for awhile and to make his life with Mary Jane back to normal. He finally goes and sees her opera performance and things look a bit better for spider-man. In this one the main villian is Dr. Octopus. He is the mad scientist gone wild as the arms gain control of him and he gives Spider-Man hell. Tobey Mcguire (Peter Parker) and Kirsten Dunst (Mary Jane Watson) do an excellent job acting and their characters are very believable. Other notable characters are Rosemarry Harris and Harry Osbourne (who should be a big part in the 3rd movie) The Action in this movie is a great bonus to an already excellent piece of work. As I said, I came out of the theater at 12:20 AM. happy last night knowing I had seen the best big budget movie of the year so far. What is a shame though is here in Lake Jackson, TX we really only have one good theater. This theater has 10 screens but some films even as big as Fahrenheit 911 don't get shown here. I have to drive to Houston in order to see any limited release movies also which is not conveniant. I also recommend the soundtrack to this film as well. It may not have a song that stands out as much as Chad Kroeger's Hero did on the first Spider-Man but overall this is still a good soundtrack. My picks from the soundtrack are Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated and Jet - Hold On. I like the Maroon 5 song its just that it doesn't go with the movie really. Rating: A Soundtrack Rating: 4/5 Stars. Expand
  27. DonaldN.
    Jul 3, 2004
    OMFG!! If I could give a 20 to this movie, I would!! This is by far the greatest movie I've ever seen. The Special effects are totally believable and the story line is supreme. This movie will gp down in history as one of the most triumphant action movie. It is not possible for there to be a better movie.
  28. ScottAKASokaar
    Jul 3, 2004
    Ok I consider my self one of those people that does not get hyped over how good a film looks, but Spiderman was one of my most anticipated films ever, having gone to see the first one so many times I lost count and I can honestly say my score has nothing to do with how much I was anticipating it, the film truely rocks. Ok I do not know where to begin but i shall try at the beggining, I Ok I consider my self one of those people that does not get hyped over how good a film looks, but Spiderman was one of my most anticipated films ever, having gone to see the first one so many times I lost count and I can honestly say my score has nothing to do with how much I was anticipating it, the film truely rocks. Ok I do not know where to begin but i shall try at the beggining, I must say that I will not mention any of the major points in the film. I personaly liked the way the film begins with a nice little series of tableaux to descibe pretty much the entire script and these are done as an artistic drawn screen shot from the previous film and it explains what happened in the first film for those that had not seen it (yeah i know what rock were they living under but it works well). It then jumps right into the film with parker late for work. The film looks at the strugle between leading an everyday life and leading a life of presure for a superhero, the problems like always having to rescue a person in distress but also the problems of hatred from the people he is trying to save due to bad press. NYC is split into those that love him and those that hate him (kind of like marmite). The film is fast pased to so your not waiting 30 minuets to catch your first glimpse of spiderman. The plot of the story is well written in my oppinion, having never read a spiderman comic in my entire life I can tell you it was enjoyable to watch, however the film does bring in some things that happens to spiderman in the cartoon which pretty much copies the comics i am told. The film has many morals hidden in with the script like finding your way when your lost, the value of being truthful ect and these are sensed on a subconscious level. The film has been given the PG certificate which i think in another film they would not have done this, yes the film contains no blood, but the violence if pretty frequent. I sense they decided on the PG rating because of the frowns about the first film being 12 but whatever. I am not saying that the film should be higher rated but I just thought I would point out there is quiet alot of violence in there. and on that note the fighting is absolutley brilliant it leaves you on the edge of your seat anticipating what could possibly happen next. and it all looks very realistic, I mean as realistic as fist fighting with someone while falling to your death looks anyway. the film also has mind blowing special effects they have made spidermans acrobatics and motions while flying through the air looks so beautiful. and the ending i find interesting too, i left the cinema with a feeling that there is going to be a third film because of the scene where harry realises was at first sight a sequel begging ending but after thinking about it you realise it is not sequel begging it leaves the door open to a sequel because the closure comes from the "go get 'em tiger" scene i ?Know that is a little cryptic but once you have seen the film you will understand what i mean (i hope i have not given anything away to the hardcore spidey fans) so on to my final thought on the film. It is a perfect balance between action and drama and perfectly portrays how it must be to lead a double life and have to give up your dreams for the good of others, amazing visual and sound effects make this an all around perfect film. Sokaar gives it a huge 10 Expand
  29. MeakaScorp
    Jul 8, 2004
    Such an awesome movie. no words to say, im speechless.
  30. PeterM.
    Jul 8, 2004
    Absolutely amazing. Even better than the first and a happy ending too. Dont hesitate. Go see it right now. (its playing every half hour at most theaters so you shouldn't have trouble finding a convenient showtime)
  31. BrianW.
    Aug 7, 2004
    Definitely a top notch hollywood product. I found myself caring more about what was happening with Peter Parker, than what villan Spider Man was hanging from a web somewhere. You become truly attatched to the struggle he faces. Balancing his life's responsibility, with the responsibility of being a superhero. A high-wire act to say the least. Some actually touching moments at the Definitely a top notch hollywood product. I found myself caring more about what was happening with Peter Parker, than what villan Spider Man was hanging from a web somewhere. You become truly attatched to the struggle he faces. Balancing his life's responsibility, with the responsibility of being a superhero. A high-wire act to say the least. Some actually touching moments at the end, seamless special effects, GREAT MOVIE? Could Spidey become the first superhero film to be nominated come Oscar time? I think so. When all is said and done, I have to say my favorite line in the movie is "Hi". If you've seen it you know. Expand
  32. GauravHirlekar
    Aug 7, 2004
    It is an ultimate movie worth seeing.
  33. crit-i-kal
    Jan 11, 2005
    Forget the rest of the movie. The train scene is, hand's down, the most intense action sequence ever burned to celluloid. If you haven't seen it yet (unlikely) you need to see it just for that.
  34. Sam+Pat:Nowpartnersincritics
    May 15, 2005
    This is one of the most excellent, entertainig, and awesome film of all time. The acting is great, the plot is very good and one of the top 5 films ever/ now to my friend pat's opinion. I'd give it a 9, it was pretty dang good. Overall, it will get a 9.5 since Sam gave it a 10 and pat gave it a 9, but do to mathmatical rounding, we must put a 10 on the score.
  35. Riren
    Jan 31, 2007
    Quite possibly the best superhero movie of all time. You have all the high-powered action scenes, a great sense of humor, and ritual symbolism that would even get Joseph Campbell's mind stirring. It's long, but well-paced, and never forgets its sense of humility. By the end, Spider-Man's world is ripe for further installments, and anyone who ever walked through a toy aisle Quite possibly the best superhero movie of all time. You have all the high-powered action scenes, a great sense of humor, and ritual symbolism that would even get Joseph Campbell's mind stirring. It's long, but well-paced, and never forgets its sense of humility. By the end, Spider-Man's world is ripe for further installments, and anyone who ever walked through a toy aisle or played recess will want to see them. Expand
  36. Hayden
    Feb 14, 2007
    A very strong, intelligent and emotional movie. Most likely one of the greatest movies ever. Anonymous needs to seek therapy.
  37. LewisB.
    May 3, 2007
    Spider-Man 3 is the Lawrence Of Arabia of the superhero movies world. It is epic, sprawling, magnificent, meaningful, beautiful. Anyone who doesn't enjoy this movie must be a pretty spoilt brat or a cynical old misery. For near on three hours it envelops you in its world and makes you CARE about the characters. How's that for a special effects laden blockbuster, a movie with Spider-Man 3 is the Lawrence Of Arabia of the superhero movies world. It is epic, sprawling, magnificent, meaningful, beautiful. Anyone who doesn't enjoy this movie must be a pretty spoilt brat or a cynical old misery. For near on three hours it envelops you in its world and makes you CARE about the characters. How's that for a special effects laden blockbuster, a movie with characters that matter? The comedy works, the emotion works, the action works. Everything Raimi tries comes off. The set pieces are particularly astounding, ranging from an out of control crane to Spidey's numerous battles with the meaty villains on show. Like others, I think this is by far the best of the three (though I loved the first two as well). It's a modern-day classic, an enrapturing fantasy that exhibits all that's best in modern movie making. An experience not to be missed. Expand
  38. JoeD.
    May 3, 2007
    This film is a masterpiece. If you don't believe it, ask these critics and IMDB fans alike. The division is what creates brilliance. Heck, there was even division among Bobby and Babel, and even among Queen. This film is certainly better than the first two (with Babel being like "Crash" the lite version), and is on a par with Queen. This film is a masterpiece. Just go ask IMDB fans.
  39. JoeM
    Aug 10, 2008
    This film has everything going for it. Freat special effects and action sequences, craking dialogue, a terrific performance from Maguire and Molina. Just like a Spider-man comic brought to the big screen with all the heart, fun and excitement. If you so much as like superhero movies, you should love this.
  40. melissame
    Dec 12, 2004
    An instant Classic! What a wonderful movie! One that doens't take itself too seriously, yet delivers in a serious way.
  41. JohnH.
    Jun 30, 2004
    This movie is amazing. The perfect blend of action, romance, humor, and human drama. Other comic movies beware, the bar has been raised.
  42. CharlieH.
    Jun 30, 2004
    I loved this movie i was amazed at how good it was....but what can ya do. cantwait for the third one...even tho its coming out in 2007....
  43. AbelE.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Awesome from beginning to end, this is the summer movie to see! Its not a brain dead action movie, which it could easily had been made into,you can see Sam Raimi really care about the characters stop reading this and go see it NOW!!
  44. Elliott
    Jul 1, 2004
    An excellent film! The best comic book film ever made! I don't even know where to begin! Funny though how the metascore was a 85 and then the single salon article brought it down to an 82.... a little skeptical, but the movie is incredible nonetheless. It's a remarkable achievement!!!
  45. BillyC.
    Jul 10, 2004
    This movie is astonishing. Quite simply, ala 'Simpsons': "Best comic book movie ever."
  46. Krystal
    Jul 1, 2004
    Ohhhh My GOD this is the best movie I have seen all summer I didnt think that it was going to be this good all the actors characters had their 15 secs. of fame and was worth the buget!
  47. Matt
    Cool movie, go see it.
  48. CraigS.
    Jul 1, 2004
    This is the best super hero movie ever made! It's got it all...action, heart, laughs, thrills, intelligence & a hero everyone can identify with!
  49. NickD
    Jul 19, 2004
    Best comic book movie I have seen.
  50. IbnJ.
    Jul 21, 2004
    It was a wonderful movie. Action-packed, emotionally-charged...there was one scene where Spidey actually touched my heart and made me want to cry. Encore!
  51. EricY.
    Jul 3, 2004
    I loved it. I was going to give it a 9, but the cameo by Bruce Campbell earned the movie extra credit. The action sequences were awesome, the cinematography is great, the acting is outstanding as well. It was all I expected and more--even a safe movie for kids, which is all too uncommon today.
  52. LeeW.
    Jul 4, 2004
    I almost agree with the person who said they'd rate this a '20'. I'd give it a '15'. I am a long time spidey fan, who was one of the few who was disappointed with spidey '1'. glad tobey came back as spidey. molina as doc ock was great! my only complaint is: lose harry osborn or get some one new to play him...otherwise it woulda gotten a '20'!
  53. SaerA.
    Jul 4, 2004
    I agree with Roger Ebert. This is the best superhero movie ever. Spider Man 2 is better than the original, funnier and did I say it was better than the original?
  54. MelissaM.
    Jul 5, 2004
    It?s rare that a sequel outshines its predecessor, but this one does. By far the best movie I?ve seen all year. The elevator seen was classic! Aside from the shameless setup of Spidy-3 at the end, this movie definitely earned every bit of a 10+. At least we know who the next villian will be (as if there were ever a doubt)...
  55. Wongit
    Aug 1, 2004
    I knew that this was going to be the best movie i would see this summer, or even this year. I was tottaly right. Great story, a marvelous cast, great special effects. I enjoyed this movie because you really feel for Peter Parker, you really get to see how being Spiderman really effects the poor guys life. I am around his age and i could really relate to him. By far the best superhero movie ever.
  56. ParthM.
    Aug 16, 2004
    It was the greatest movie in all of history. no better movie than this. I don't read bad reviews for this movie.
  57. ParthM.
    Aug 16, 2004
  58. HarrisonB.
    Aug 8, 2004
    Spider-Man 2 was the best super-hero movie I've ever seen! Tobey Maguire was very good. I like Doc Ock. The story is very well written. Very good action scenes, and good romance. It's an Academy Award Winner for sure. Loved it.
  59. ElizabethR.
    Sep 17, 2004
    This film shows the progression of the relationship between Peter and MJ very well. If you look at the expression on MJ's face in the last scene, she is not too thrilled that Peter is risking his life every time he puts on the red and blue. This theme folows the comics. Their relationship floundered several times because of Sipdey.
  60. ScottH.
    Sep 29, 2004
    Spider-Man 2 one word AMAZING this was the best the fighting the web shooting was so cool it was a great way to end the summer AMAZING.
  61. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Sep 7, 2004
    Great flick well written story, great action, Doc Ock rocks, everything is perfect except when Spidey loses his powers cuz he doesn' t want them blah blah blah. Anyway great flick go watch it.
  62. JamaalR.
    Dec 15, 2005
    Oh My God. I see all of you neigh-sayers complaining about this movie. Some of you go as far as to say that it is nothing like the comic. Trust me, anyone who reads the comics or even follow it slightly will tell you that this is what you will and should get from the movie. It "is" EXACTLY LIKE THE COMIC.
  63. TylerN.
    Jan 9, 2005
    By far the best marvel picture to date. It puts the original to shame with its superb special effects. You WILL love this movie, believe me.
  64. NicholasM.
    Mar 26, 2005
    Those who hate this movie are idiots, this is the best comic book movie since Superman if not the greatest Superhero movie of all time.
  65. MehdiT.
    Jun 11, 2005
    The best superhero movie ever. The plot is engaging, the acting is so good, and the effects are much more convincing than the first one. I can't wait to see Spidey 3!
  66. PeterParker
    Jun 12, 2005
    It was the best movie I have ever seen about myself! Hope Doc Ock was dead in my life just like way it did in the end of the movie! By the way, Tobey is great as me, but I am sure a bit taller and more wisecracking!!
  67. JayE.
    Mar 27, 2006
    There are plenty of superhero movies that provide gratuitous action--action with no cost or reason. This movie takes the time to look at its characters, develop them, raise the stakes for them, thus giving the action reason. Then we care if Aunt May is taken hostage, or whether Doc will win that fight. Yes, this means less action. Gasp! But with more riding on it, it is a lot more satisfying.
  68. Joeg.
    Jul 16, 2006
    Without a doubt the best comic book movie of all time. this movie had it all. and it is easy to see that frank r. and the realness are the same exact person trying to bring the score down, because of some asinine hatred of this movie, so i am here to rectify that.
  69. AnsonG.
    Mar 5, 2007
    Lighten up people. Its not hard to love this movie unless you have absolutely no ability of knowing good entertainment when u see it. Tobey Maguire is great as Peter Parker, Kirsten Dunst Lovely as MJ, Alfred Molina an outstanding classic machined villain as Dr. Octavious turned Docock. Every member of the cast is superb in their big or small roles, Sam Raimi the director seems very sure Lighten up people. Its not hard to love this movie unless you have absolutely no ability of knowing good entertainment when u see it. Tobey Maguire is great as Peter Parker, Kirsten Dunst Lovely as MJ, Alfred Molina an outstanding classic machined villain as Dr. Octavious turned Docock. Every member of the cast is superb in their big or small roles, Sam Raimi the director seems very sure of the script and his directing and makes every scene worth watching. Add to that a good story, fabulous, marvelous special effects and visual sequences, an outstanding, fully suitable score, sound effects beyond your wildest dreams , a red-blue spidey Spandex otfit, a chuuby guys in a brown coat with four mecha-arms...well how can you not like it??? So, either you are a fan of the comics, like superhero movies, or not, you really have to enjoy this movie. SO DONT MISS IT! Expand
  70. RandyM.
    Apr 10, 2007
    The best comic book movie ever made. No...no....let me rephrase that. This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Absolutely powerful and just plain fun to watch.
  71. JeffV
    Feb 14, 2008
    The greatest comic book film of all time...so far. This one had it all. It had wonderful writing that dealt with angst,ambition, loss, love, and redemption and it did so with heart as well as a dash of humor. It had well written characters that were multi-faceted and it had a talented cast to bring these charcters to life. It's action sequences(the train fight was incredible!!!)that The greatest comic book film of all time...so far. This one had it all. It had wonderful writing that dealt with angst,ambition, loss, love, and redemption and it did so with heart as well as a dash of humor. It had well written characters that were multi-faceted and it had a talented cast to bring these charcters to life. It's action sequences(the train fight was incredible!!!)that were intense and entertaining, but never overshadowed the characters. Good stuff indeed!!! Expand
  72. JoeH.
    Jun 28, 2004
    This movie was phenomenal and way surpassed the 1st one in my opinion. The mix of romance, mystery, and action was terrific. I highly recommend it to anyone,
  73. MarkH.
    Jun 28, 2004
    Who wouldn't enjoy this movie? Cynics and 'artistes'.
  74. DanielaO.
    Jun 29, 2004
    Impressive, amazing, surprising.
  75. ScottC.
    Jul 11, 2004
    The most spiritual film I've seen since Magnolia. I think it's an excellent film all around, but I do wonder if it might not possibly connect with most people. It reminds me of Ang Lee's Hulk, because of how it uses the superhero motif to explore the psychology of a person caught between what he wants to do and what he is able to do (Lee's Hulk doesn't do that, The most spiritual film I've seen since Magnolia. I think it's an excellent film all around, but I do wonder if it might not possibly connect with most people. It reminds me of Ang Lee's Hulk, because of how it uses the superhero motif to explore the psychology of a person caught between what he wants to do and what he is able to do (Lee's Hulk doesn't do that, but does use the Hulk metaphorically to deal with issues of rage and repression). But, I found it better than Lee's poetic film if only because I think it does not go so far in that direction that it loses its feet, which are always connected firmly in the Marvel universe. The villain, played by Alfred Molina, is well played. The story of Dr. Octopus is essentially a modernized retelling of Dr. Frankenstein. One thing that I found interesting about Spiderman was in comparing Raimi's Spiderman to Burton's Batman. Both have experienced traumatic events from their childhoods which have made them superheros: Bruce Wayne, the murder of his parents which he witnessed as a child, and Peter Parker, the murder of his uncle, for which he feels responsibility. The manner in which each man was involved in that trauma seems to have made a real difference in each man's specific worldview and identity. Spiderman feels guilt over his uncle's death, and as a result, it animates him morally to sacrifice all that is precious to him to stop it from happening. It is not so much Parker trying to exorcise his past, as it is Parker being driven by his uncle's dying words - "with great power comes great responsibility." But Burton's Batman is different. He is not responsible for his parents' death. He was 8 years old when the tragedy happened, and nothing he could've done differently would've changed their fate at a random gunman's bullet. What drives Batman is the desire for justice - which I think to everyone close to Bruce Wayne at times looks more like revenge than justice. It is for these reasons that I think we see Spiderman treating his enemies differently than Batman usually does. Spiderman consistently sees the humanity in his enemies. He knows that the moral weight of our choices determine who we are, and that that is both liberating, as well as a burden. But it is for that reason that he seeks to see the humanity in his enemies, even while fighting them. We would never see Batman speaking to Joker in the same way Parker is with Dr. Octopus in the closing moments of the third act. It is, in fact, Parker's willingness to remind Octavius of his beliefs about science as a servant and not as a road towards divinity that redeems this man, making him human again. For this and much more, I found the worldview of Spiderman 2 to be the most, there is no other word, Christian as well as psychologically sophisticated of all the superhero comic book movies to date. It is also a love story that I think should be placed in proximity to many of the great love stories of Hollywood history. Expand
  76. MarieW.
    Aug 28, 2004
    If I could I'd give this movie a 20!! It's one of the movies both guys and girls can watch together and still enjoy!! P.S. For the person who rated it a 0 should stick to Gigli and Crossroads if they're going to give the biggest grossing movie of this year that rating.
  77. Peter
    Oct 27, 2005
    Hey Anonymous, "go get em tiger" is Mary Jane's catch phrase from the comic, so it's pretty easy to defend.
  78. patrick
    Jul 23, 2005
    Dramtic, Romantic, and Action-Packed. This is the tragic story of Peter Parker and his duties as spiderman. It has powerful dialouge and is one of the best movies you can find!
  79. Jun 26, 2011
    A splendid sequel to the already excellent first movie (by the way, I don't see how this movie was significantly better than the first. All three Spider-Man movies are equally awesome).
  80. Jan 21, 2011
    Spider-Man 2 may be called a comic book movie, but is so much more than that. The film improves the action thanks to a larger budget, has awesome acting and characters, and an excellent script which has a heart and entertains. Spider-Man 2 is a movie you truly have to see to believe, it is the master of comic book movies along with The Dark Knight. Even if you are not a Spider-Man fan, SEESpider-Man 2 may be called a comic book movie, but is so much more than that. The film improves the action thanks to a larger budget, has awesome acting and characters, and an excellent script which has a heart and entertains. Spider-Man 2 is a movie you truly have to see to believe, it is the master of comic book movies along with The Dark Knight. Even if you are not a Spider-Man fan, SEE THIS MOVIE! Expand
  81. May 12, 2011
    i loved this movie from start to finish. it captured spider man in his fullest. this was almost like the comic book. it was great. this movie was incredible. the train scene was unbelievable. this was way better than spider man 3. its the best spider man movie. near perfect
  82. Jul 3, 2011
    Spider-man 2 is the perfect comic book movie, quite possibly the best ever made up until this time. It's a movie with character, love, and life, and prior to what you might think it's not really a movie about killing bad guys at all...it's a beautiful love story. Wonderously acted, funny, witty, smart, it hits all the right notes. There are scenes in this movie that just make you smileSpider-man 2 is the perfect comic book movie, quite possibly the best ever made up until this time. It's a movie with character, love, and life, and prior to what you might think it's not really a movie about killing bad guys at all...it's a beautiful love story. Wonderously acted, funny, witty, smart, it hits all the right notes. There are scenes in this movie that just make you smile with pure joy like, "I can't believe they did that!" but oh they do, from Spider-man losing grip on his powers, to losing friends and gaining enemies, to accepting the fact that he shouldn't be the web slinger any longer (*hint" the "rain drops keep fallin' on my head" sequence was perfection). Everything about Spider-man 2 shows a flawed character trying to live his own life. Toby Maguire's Peter Parker is a character we can all relate to. Whether he's struggling with old demons from the past, working with love all the while dealing with criminals on a daily basis, trying to make his own life by going to school and working, and dealing with, quite possibly, the most legendary and sinister Spider-man villain of all time. Anytime you think you've got it hard take a step into this man's life and you'll witness hard. The movie is sad, joyful, funny, loving, and full of life! It feels like a movie actually touched by human hands. It seems Sam Raimi's main focus was character development, an excellent story, excellent perfomances, and character. All which are nailed all too perfectly. But this does not take away from the action, which is beautifully shot, fantastically created, and perfectly executed. The action in this flick will keep you on the edge of your seat and keep you chearing, it's a modern epic, and what a sure super hero film should be all about. Expand
  83. BeK
    Apr 19, 2012
    After a long break, from writing reviews for movies, I've decided to start out with Spider-Man 2. Spider-Man 2, the best in the series. I've just finished seeing it, for like the 3rd time. There are not a lot of movie sequel that improve the non-sequel version. Spider-Man 2 is definitely not in that category. Even though I was really impressed about Spider-Man back in 2002, when it brokeAfter a long break, from writing reviews for movies, I've decided to start out with Spider-Man 2. Spider-Man 2, the best in the series. I've just finished seeing it, for like the 3rd time. There are not a lot of movie sequel that improve the non-sequel version. Spider-Man 2 is definitely not in that category. Even though I was really impressed about Spider-Man back in 2002, when it broke all records, Spider-Man 2 raise up to its level and in some areas even surpassed it. I'm not going to give you any spoilers on the movie, not really my style. But I will say this, the story line, the characters raise up to their full potential. It's not just action followed by more action, its something more, it impresses in every area of movies. Breathtaking moments, action packed fights, great development in the story, everything to make you see at least once...So, hope you enjoyed :) my personal opinion on 2004's Spider-Man 2. (10/10) Expand
  84. Apr 7, 2012
    This movie is Amazing, Best Superhero movie of the last ten years, even better than the Dark Knight, Superb acting, mezmerizing effects and moments that'll last a life time, Sam Raimi has created a Cinematic masterpiece. Too Bad Spiderman 3 didn't do to well. Could JK Simmons please reprise his role in the new Spiderman movies? He was born to play the part. This movie is one for the ages,This movie is Amazing, Best Superhero movie of the last ten years, even better than the Dark Knight, Superb acting, mezmerizing effects and moments that'll last a life time, Sam Raimi has created a Cinematic masterpiece. Too Bad Spiderman 3 didn't do to well. Could JK Simmons please reprise his role in the new Spiderman movies? He was born to play the part. This movie is one for the ages, A masterpiece! Expand
  85. May 11, 2012
    The best way to describe this Spider-Man: More action and more fleshed-out characters. Doc Ock was a great choice for the villain and Tobey Maguire is great here.
  86. Sep 2, 2013
    Sequels are always common ground for big franchise and surprise hits in the film world, but they don’t always succeed, actors may not want to return, drastic changes are often made which hampers the success of the original and they never really come up as strong, but this is not the case whatsoever with Spider-Man 2, a film which gets everything right, it has a real story, an emotionalSequels are always common ground for big franchise and surprise hits in the film world, but they don’t always succeed, actors may not want to return, drastic changes are often made which hampers the success of the original and they never really come up as strong, but this is not the case whatsoever with Spider-Man 2, a film which gets everything right, it has a real story, an emotional journey of self-esteem and the tests that face relationships and friendship when people are clouded by uncontrollable rage.
    Tobey Maguire puts in much more personal performance in his second outing as the now conflicted web slinger, unable to juggle his crime fighting alter-ego and his attempt at an ordinary life of college and living alone. We see a world around him that doesn’t appreciate the pizza delivery man and the one behind the mask, branded an outlaw as Spider-Man and a slacking student as Peter Parker, his hard life reflects is superpowers too, which begin to fade in and out as his troubles worsen. The film is a dark and personal story which is such a triumph as the film goes along, we have another villain in the form of Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina), a genius scientist who is attempting to create free energy, but a disastrous accident sends the man insane, now pursuing the person he sees responsible, Spider-Man.The film cleverly explores each avenue of problematic issues with having a dual lifestyle.
    Peter sees everyone he loves drifting away from him, we see a touching performance from Rosemary Harris playing Aunt May, a stubborn woman who fends for herself, and we see a different side to the woman when Peter reveals the truth about the tragic death of Uncle Ben in the first film, the continuity continues to flow throughout the film, calling back previous plots helps stay involved. We also have one of the most visually spectacular films to date, with various scenes including stopping a train, catapulting from one building to the next and a very explosive finale that hits the right buttons each and every turn, with excellent scenes that leave you in awe, that is sure to leave everyone satisfied.
    One of the best sequels ever made, and certainly one of the best superhero films to date, it is hard-hitting, personal, beautiful and very character-driven that it works as both an action epic and a dramatic story, the superhero film that has always been desired.
  87. Mar 7, 2012
    Greatest comic book movie ever. While a considerable improvement over the first in all areas, the choice of Alfred Molina as villain Doc Ock was beyond brilliant. A total joy to watch over and over.
  88. Jul 8, 2012
    The perfect sequel and the best Spider-Man movie that has ever been made. The movie is just excellent and Alfred Molina is the greatest Spider-Man villain of all as he plays Doctor Octopus.
  89. Mar 27, 2013
    Perfect. Nothing more to say.
  90. Aug 5, 2013
    This film goes far beyond just a superhero movie, in fact, it can be called a movie treasure. Spider-Man 2 improves tremendously over its predecessor with a storyline that immerses the audience on a deep emotional level, supplies plenty of good humor, and brings a fan favorite villain to life in an exciting fashion. Not only is Spider-Man 2 the perfect superhero movie, but it's also theThis film goes far beyond just a superhero movie, in fact, it can be called a movie treasure. Spider-Man 2 improves tremendously over its predecessor with a storyline that immerses the audience on a deep emotional level, supplies plenty of good humor, and brings a fan favorite villain to life in an exciting fashion. Not only is Spider-Man 2 the perfect superhero movie, but it's also the set standard on how a great movie should be made in the first place. This also happens to be my favorite superhero movie, and one of my favorite movies of all time, with an entertainment value for ages to come. Expand
  91. Sep 20, 2013
    Rarely does a sequel come along that it better than the already-great first movie, with more action and a better story. But screw movie logic, Spider-Man 2 does it anyway.
  92. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spider-man 2 es un gran film de acción y aventura, de los que dan gusto poder ver. He quedado maravillado y espero que así halla sido también para todos los espectadores. Una película que no solo marca una época dorada en el superhéroe, sino que también logra ser el mejor film del género de todos los tiempos, superando incluso a The Dark Knight. Expand
  93. Apr 9, 2014
    This was a great movie and my second favorite Marvel movie next to Iron Man! This was the only Marvel movie I've ever seen where I've actually liked the ending! I can't say anymore than that without spoiling something so Nuff' said!
  94. May 3, 2014
    This movie was perfect, Alfred Molina was fantastic as Doc Occ, the relationship between Harry and Peter was good, everything in this movie was awesome. The fact that people prefer the newer movies simply because Andrew Garfield is more handsome is so freaking stupid?!! Tobey Maguire nail it with his acting in this movie!
  95. May 16, 2015
    After 11 years, it still hasn't lost its luster. Spider-Man 2 is quite possibly the greatest adaption of Spider-Man ever made in the cinemas. Spider-Man transcended the boundaries of most modern comic book movies of at the time, here we see a vary conflicted hero behind the mask with actual emotion and reason instead of cookie cutter crap we see in comic book movies. Taking place 2 yearsAfter 11 years, it still hasn't lost its luster. Spider-Man 2 is quite possibly the greatest adaption of Spider-Man ever made in the cinemas. Spider-Man transcended the boundaries of most modern comic book movies of at the time, here we see a vary conflicted hero behind the mask with actual emotion and reason instead of cookie cutter crap we see in comic book movies. Taking place 2 years after the first one, we see Spider-Man/Peter Parker going to school full time, while working 3 jobs to pay off his rent, and he is a hero always on call whenever the radio calls. Not to mention, we see the emotional toll that has been taken on him, his only surviving family member, his Aunt May. We also see Norman Osborns death take a toll on Harry Osborne while MJ is suffering from conflicting emotions and feelings herself. There is so much good about Spider-Man 2, it was hands down one of best movie of the series. Expand
  96. Dec 28, 2014
    What can be said about "Spider-Man 2" that hasn't been said yet? Well, opss! It has already been said: It's the best Spider-Man movie to date. Everything from the deeply emotional relationship between Peter and Aunt May to the mind-blowing action is a delight watching. Full review soon.

:D
  97. May 27, 2014
    Easily the greatest Spider-Man movie ever created in the history of ever. Seriously, go see this movie. Everything about this movie is absolutely perfect, I cannot imagine a greater superhero movie. A combination of an all-star cast, perfect acting, and action scenes that will rock your socks make this the greatest super-hero ever made, and the greatest superhero movie that will ever beEasily the greatest Spider-Man movie ever created in the history of ever. Seriously, go see this movie. Everything about this movie is absolutely perfect, I cannot imagine a greater superhero movie. A combination of an all-star cast, perfect acting, and action scenes that will rock your socks make this the greatest super-hero ever made, and the greatest superhero movie that will ever be made. Except for maybe X-Men: Days of Future Past, which blows this movie right out of the water. Seriously, go see X-Men: Days of Future Past. It is literally a perfect movie. Expand
  98. Nov 8, 2014
    One of the best superhero movies ever and the best Spider-Man movies ever,with one of the best villains ever: Otto Octavius alias Doctor Octopus.An epic movie.
  99. Nov 26, 2014
    10 years later and it's still one of the best if not the best Spider-Man movie ever and in my opinion the best super hero movie. it has great action, a great story, a great cast of characters and great music to top it all off. If your a Spider-Man fan (or just love super hero movies) and haven't watched the movie, (or if you haven't seen it in a long while) than I strongly recommend10 years later and it's still one of the best if not the best Spider-Man movie ever and in my opinion the best super hero movie. it has great action, a great story, a great cast of characters and great music to top it all off. If your a Spider-Man fan (or just love super hero movies) and haven't watched the movie, (or if you haven't seen it in a long while) than I strongly recommend getting the film. Expand
  100. Nov 12, 2014
    Soy un gran fan de Spider-Man, y esta película me parece una obra de arte. Buena historia, buena acción y buenos efectos especiales. Sin duda, Spider-Man 2 es la mejor película de Spider-Man de todas y una de las mejores películas de superhéroes de todos los tiempos.

1. Raimi doesn't make the mistake of over-thinking the flimsy psychology of the genre. All this conflicted-hero stuff isn't meant to be profound; instead, it's there for the same reason as everything else -- to give the action (the interior action in this case) a healthy shot of pop energy.
  2. Reviewed by: M. E. Russell
    Spider-Man 2 succeeds in pretty much the same way "Superman II" did -- only more so.
  3. This movie, directed with precision and an appreciation for (relatively) rich character texture by Sam Raimi, remembers all the fine elements of the original film (and the comic book story). It reprises them perfectly, including wonderfully choreographed, skyscraper-hanging fights.