Spider

6.9

1. JoshuaW.
    Apr 2, 2003
    The ending of this film really brought the whole story to an exciting conclusion. The pace may have been slow for the most part but that only helped to create the proper mood to help give us a better understanding of how Fiennes' character works. The end had a great twist, not just in terms of it's story, but also in how we view Fiennes and Byrne's characters. This was a The ending of this film really brought the whole story to an exciting conclusion. The pace may have been slow for the most part but that only helped to create the proper mood to help give us a better understanding of how Fiennes' character works. The end had a great twist, not just in terms of it's story, but also in how we view Fiennes and Byrne's characters. This was a great film. Expand
  2. BenA.
    Jan 6, 2004
    I highly recomend this movie. Unless you need nonstop action, or constant jokes, this is a very enjoyable film. Perfectly acted, very dark, a little slow at times, but it all works for the affect of the movie.
  3. Methusalah
    Jan 9, 2008
    This movie was visually astounding. It had more eye catching, amazingly framed scenes than any previous Cronenberg movie. A surreal trek through a day in the life of a mentally ill individual.
  4. BillyO.
    Nov 3, 2003
    I have seen a lot of movies recently and this one is by far the best. The first time I watched it I was a bit confused, but then I watched it again with the commentary on and it revealed an extremely deep interesting movie. One of the most layered and deep movies I have seen in a long time. Go out and rent Spider, watch it, and watch it again with the commentary on. You will realize its I have seen a lot of movies recently and this one is by far the best. The first time I watched it I was a bit confused, but then I watched it again with the commentary on and it revealed an extremely deep interesting movie. One of the most layered and deep movies I have seen in a long time. Go out and rent Spider, watch it, and watch it again with the commentary on. You will realize its brilliance. Expand
    Feb 28, 2003
    A masterpiece of filmmaking with superb acting, directing, writing, and cinematography. Cronenberg takes us on a captivating journey into the complexities of the human mind.
  6. PedroS.
    Mar 13, 2003
    This is one of the best films of the year and it proves that less is more with both of the lead characters performance. It nice to know that there are still movies like this eeing made.
  7. PaulaW.
    Aug 19, 2003
    The previews for this movie were deceptive, making it seem like a creepy suspense/horror flick. It is much quieter and deeper than that: a well-made and deeply humane story about a schizophrenic's view of the world. The acting is very good (especially Miranda Richardson in three different roles). Each meaningful silence and slow pan adds to the bleak beauty of the film. It's not The previews for this movie were deceptive, making it seem like a creepy suspense/horror flick. It is much quieter and deeper than that: a well-made and deeply humane story about a schizophrenic's view of the world. The acting is very good (especially Miranda Richardson in three different roles). Each meaningful silence and slow pan adds to the bleak beauty of the film. It's not always easy to watch, but ultimately rewarding. Expand
  8. JonathanH.
    Apr 3, 2004
    Great, breathtaking performances, wonderful visuals, sadly very little-seen.
  9. MathewB.
    Jul 6, 2007
    A masterpiece of perception of reality vs. reality
  10. williamw
    Apr 1, 2009
    The most nerve-racking, chillingly precise film about mental illness ever made. In my humble opinion, the director's magnus opus.
  11. MaxL.
    Apr 2, 2003
    Very well made movie about madness seen from the protagonist. Not often do we get to see the world from a madman's POV. This one is definitely intriguing. Great performances by Fienner and Richardson (she in three roles). Intriguing and suffocating. Not quite a 'surprise' ending but it was a revelation. Not a horror a la early Cronenberg but still frightening.
  12. BernieC.
    Aug 21, 2003
    Slow, extremely nuanced study of mental illness. One of the few films that allows the viewer to experience the inner workings of a damaged personality. The performances are pitch perfect.
  13. Eon
    Oct 20, 2006
    Great acting, great directing, great puzzle. ;)
  14. Vocecita
    Oct 26, 2006
    An excellent movie.
  15. Elliott
    Aug 24, 2003
    The most accurate film about psychological madness since Roman Polanski's Repulsion in 1965. What Fiennes and Richardson do with their acting is nothing short of miraculous. Easily Cronenberg's best since Dead Ringers, and his direction is perfect.

1. His story is sad, compelling and morbidly, tragically watchable.
    What catches us in Spider's web -- besides the indelible performances of Fiennes and Richardson -- is the director's sympathy with this freak man-child who struggles to order his confused memories into a kind of truth.
  3. This is a rare adaptation where the script (by McGrath himself) heads straight for the novel's horrible essence, reproducing it non-verbally and in an even more concentrated form.