9.3

1. Dec 12, 2014
    this film is a masterpiece and should be on every list of films to see before you die. the animation is gorgeous, the voice actors do an amazing job and the plot is both original, heartfelt and epic. if miyazaki hadn't received the oscar it would have been a travesty and it was this film that made him my favourite director
  2. Dec 3, 2014
    Confession time: I have never seen a Studio Ghibli movie until last week. That first Studio Ghibil movie is the one that made them famous. You guess it right, it’s Spirited Away.

The hype surrounding Spirited Away does not disappoint me. It’s no wonder why most people love it so much. This is the best animated movie I have ever seen since The Lion King. The animation style in this

The animation style in this movie is so beautiful to watch. This is the beauty of 2D animation that 3D animation cannot capture.

I watched this movie on English dub but I liked how the dubbed voices do not irritate me. The voice actors did a good job dubbing the characters that I believe them as Japanese people speaking English. It does not feel dubbed at all to be honest. I liked how their voices did not go out of sync of the characters speaking.

The plot was great from start to finish. I liked how Chihiro/Sen is used as an audience surrogate as I am confused and curious just like her.

The feel of this movie gave me the Alice in Wonderland vibes, which it’s the best part of the entire movie for me.

The direction from Hayao Miyazaki is brilliant in this movie. He cares about even the littlest of details in this movie. He put all of his huge effort into directing this movie. It’s no wonder why so many people praise him so much.

Spirited Away is the best animation movie since The Lion King thanks to its beautiful animation style, a great plot, a nice Alice in Wonderland vibes and the direction from Hayao Miyazaki.
  3. Nov 20, 2014
    a gripping Alice in Wonderland-like movie, Spirited away is by far Hayao Miyazaki's best masterpiece. the movie was so moving and deep that I couldn't stop my mind analysing it all day! about alienation,if Chihiro's name(as a symbol of identity)slips her mind,she won't find the way home.and about Yubaba as a symbol of Capitalism and her twin sister Zeniba in front of her. and my favouritea gripping Alice in Wonderland-like movie, Spirited away is by far Hayao Miyazaki's best masterpiece. the movie was so moving and deep that I couldn't stop my mind analysing it all day! about alienation,if Chihiro's name(as a symbol of identity)slips her mind,she won't find the way home.and about Yubaba as a symbol of Capitalism and her twin sister Zeniba in front of her. and my favourite character No face as a symbol of life, which likes those who are not greedy and emotions are relations are more important to them. and a pure love between Chihiro and Hako. There are many other things to think about which are still mysterious and this is how the movie takes you.In my opinion, It's the best animation of all time. Some of you may find this complexity of the story irritating, But believe me, When you realise the purpose of the plot, you can't deny how strong and powerful Hayao Miyazaki is. Expand
  4. Oct 3, 2014
    Spirited Away is great in terms of it's weird, imaginative characters, and somewhat confusing storyline but the voice acting (English dub) is just really cheesy, and bad.
  5. Sep 30, 2014
    oh dear god, what the man has created..!! i feel high watching this more than i do feel when i smoke weed, it's magical..!! This movie is a whole new world of imagination and still so beautiful and simple ..!!
  6. Sep 26, 2014
    I love this movie, it is classic and brilliant, I remember watching it all the time as a kid. one of the best movies ever created and will always be so.
  7. Sep 23, 2014
    In case I say anything negative, let me start with Amazing! I first saw this movie when my daughter was very young. I didn't buy it for her, I bought it for me! I disagree with anyone who thinks of it as just a movie for children. From the beginning, I could see my daughter in the character of Chihiro (Sen) so vividly that it tore me apart to feel her terror and confusion. Then to see herIn case I say anything negative, let me start with Amazing! I first saw this movie when my daughter was very young. I didn't buy it for her, I bought it for me! I disagree with anyone who thinks of it as just a movie for children. From the beginning, I could see my daughter in the character of Chihiro (Sen) so vividly that it tore me apart to feel her terror and confusion. Then to see her coming to terms with her new environment and struggle to regain her identity gave me a sense of pride. I see all this in my daughter as she has grown up and learned to deal with life. I finally let her see the movie and it's one of her favorites as well. I agree with those who talk about how real the characters are and how the emotions and story line are portrayed in such a beautiful fashion. I think this movie is anything but predictable. Perhaps those who don't understand it may be too used to simplistic modern movie fare where everything is handed to you on a platter. Spirited Away can be approached on many levels which, to me, just made it all the more interesting and enjoyable. I'd have to say it is definitely one of my favorite movies. Expand
  8. Sep 11, 2014
    A truly beautiful piece of cinema. This film should appeal to people beyond the realms of those who are already a fan of Japanese animation and easily stands alone as a fantastic animated children's film, complete with a beautiful score, a touching story, a fantastically avant garde artistic direction, a rather obscure look in to Japanese folklore and culture and many strong moralA truly beautiful piece of cinema. This film should appeal to people beyond the realms of those who are already a fan of Japanese animation and easily stands alone as a fantastic animated children's film, complete with a beautiful score, a touching story, a fantastically avant garde artistic direction, a rather obscure look in to Japanese folklore and culture and many strong moral undertones throughout. Expand
  9. Sep 9, 2014
    A Viagem de Chihiro é espetacular. O filme é incrível, o enredo e a história são impecáveis, tem algumas coisas bizarras, o que torna o filme um pouco engraçado, e ainda há valor nesse filme. Uma essência do filme.
  10. Sep 1, 2014
    **** the Haters...that is all.

Now for a bunch of bs so it can be 150 characters.

ahdj dfak;lsjdf; lkjsa;dflkj ;lskjdf ;djf;l ajsd;lf ;aljfsd lksjdk
  11. Aug 15, 2014
    The magical, mysterious atmosphere as well as the wonderfully, thoroughly genius plot makes this animation movie a masterpiece not only beyond animation or anime movies, but the movie industry in general. Miyazaki created an undisputed masterpiece that will not lose its magic and beauty any time soon. It will always be my Number 1 favorite movie of all times.
  12. Aug 5, 2014
    Simply magical. This has to be one of the most enchanting and nostalgic movies ever made. Spirited away submerges you on a journey which fills you with awe. The journey is filled with wise quotes and characters that you care about. The music was fantastic, the animation was superb, the story line, out of this world.
  13. Jun 26, 2014
    "Spirited Away" is simply the greatest animated film my eyes have ever laid on. It flawlessly blends comedy, mystery, fantasy and drama into something unbelievably good and satisfactory. Although it is considered a family film, I love the moments of bitter-sweetness and melancholy writer/director Hayao Miyazaki has put into his masterpiece. And the amount of creativity in "Spirited Away""Spirited Away" is simply the greatest animated film my eyes have ever laid on. It flawlessly blends comedy, mystery, fantasy and drama into something unbelievably good and satisfactory. Although it is considered a family film, I love the moments of bitter-sweetness and melancholy writer/director Hayao Miyazaki has put into his masterpiece. And the amount of creativity in "Spirited Away" can not be put into words. A flawlessly executed film it is. Expand
  14. Jun 19, 2014
    Spirited Away is just magical. In this magic fest, we fallow the story of Shihiro, a typical nagging 9 year old or so on her move to a new house, while her dad takes a wrong turn and end up lost in an abandoned amusement park, it is all up to Shihiro to save her family and get out after being sucked into a word where monsters live in a bathing house. If it wasn't for Coraline (2009), thisSpirited Away is just magical. In this magic fest, we fallow the story of Shihiro, a typical nagging 9 year old or so on her move to a new house, while her dad takes a wrong turn and end up lost in an abandoned amusement park, it is all up to Shihiro to save her family and get out after being sucked into a word where monsters live in a bathing house. If it wasn't for Coraline (2009), this would've been my favorite movie of all time. The movie is most obviously masterfully crafted, it is filled with magical color scheme, powerful characters and just overall this is one of the most strongest/epic/magical and unforgettable movies ever made, I just love this movie. Expand
  15. May 23, 2014
    MIYAZAKI IS AN ANIMATION GOD. Spirited away gets an 11/10. Best animated film I've ever seen in my entire life, and if you haven't seen it, you have not lived.
  16. May 12, 2014
    I remember seeing this movie as only a kid. It had been around for an enough amount of time for it to be broad-casted on TV, and I remember thinking that this movie was just something I dreamed about.
    This film is absolutely one of the best I have ever seen. It is a misconception to just call this a film or a movie, this is an actual work of art performed by Hayao Miyazaki. Without a doubt, I will recommend this film to anyone at any age. An easy 10/10.
  17. Apr 24, 2014
    Magical, creative, fantastical, I just cannot imagine why or how you could dislike this film....It was good when i was a child and it remains my favorite movie as an adult
  18. Apr 2, 2014
    A must watch for every age, every country and every race, everyone should have seen this movie, it's llike no other. Ghibli made a monumental piece of art here. I remember watching this as a kid and being blown away, if you have kids, show them this movie!!!!! and as an adult I could watch it a million more times, really fantastic! full of emotions, fantasy warmth and mystery this isA must watch for every age, every country and every race, everyone should have seen this movie, it's llike no other. Ghibli made a monumental piece of art here. I remember watching this as a kid and being blown away, if you have kids, show them this movie!!!!! and as an adult I could watch it a million more times, really fantastic! full of emotions, fantasy warmth and mystery this is probably the best drawn movie I'll ever see. Time and time again it takes me to another world, romantic/art at it's best, total loss of reality for 2 hours. I could go on forever, but really just watch it your self, even if you're 99 years old it won't dissapoin you!!!

Just my opinion
  19. Mar 20, 2014
    There's no better way to explain this...the film Spirited Away is absolutely amazing. Being a huge fan of Studio Ghibli, it doesn't mean that their films are perfect. Spirited Away captures your attention and will keep you glued to your screen for the entirety of the session. The characters and story are some of the best I've ever seen. May be a bit scary for young children under five,There's no better way to explain this...the film Spirited Away is absolutely amazing. Being a huge fan of Studio Ghibli, it doesn't mean that their films are perfect. Spirited Away captures your attention and will keep you glued to your screen for the entirety of the session. The characters and story are some of the best I've ever seen. May be a bit scary for young children under five, though definitely great for the whole family. Expand
  20. Mar 17, 2014
    My personal favorite film by Miyazaki and probably one of the greatest animated films of all time. The animation is beautiful as well as the storytelling and even the style of the film continues to captivate me even to this very day. I would recommend this film to anyone who lives animation, anime, or just great films in general.
  21. Mar 6, 2014
    Absolutely a masterpiece in it's own genre. Even if I don't see anything exceptionally great in it's plot or drama-side, the visually psychedelic creatures and characters are just... awesome.
  22. Jan 12, 2014
    Unbelievable. This movie left me in an infatuated daze a week after viewing it. Great characters, great story, AMAZING designs, and, in my opinion, the best animation I've ever seen. The great thing about it is that it is so good at showing little vignette-like moments that pace unbelievably well. Aside from one little nitpick that is dwarfed by the rest of the movie, this is my favoriteUnbelievable. This movie left me in an infatuated daze a week after viewing it. Great characters, great story, AMAZING designs, and, in my opinion, the best animation I've ever seen. The great thing about it is that it is so good at showing little vignette-like moments that pace unbelievably well. Aside from one little nitpick that is dwarfed by the rest of the movie, this is my favorite film of all time. The only negative is that it has made every movie after it a slight disappointment. Expand
  23. Jwv
    Jan 9, 2014
    For starters, and because the movie is originally Japanese, I have to speak of my admiration for the work of the voice acting department who did a great job in translating the movie for English audiences. I applaud in particular the work of Daveigh Chase who lends her voice to Sin, and performs very convincingly.

The animations in Spirited Away are probably the best I have ever seen.

The animations in Spirited Away are probably the best I have ever seen. They are simple yet beautiful, and the creators have a real knack for detail. They succeed in making Sin feel very believable and lifelike in her actions as a teen girl.

The world Spirited Away presents is weird, and even after sitting through the whole movie, more questions will remain a mystery than answered. Although this can be seen as a deficiency, I see it as a pro. The world is so magically beautiful and unknown that, having answered no questions, it will stick in your head a long time after watching keeping you wondering.

The story doesn't amount as much to the magnificence of this movie as the animations and fantastical world do, and is a mere classical child narrative. The protagonist heroine gets in trouble because of a mistake, is brought into a prickly situation by an evil character, but the resilience of the good-natured heroine and some good-natured helpers win out over evil. The story is not bad, considering Spirited Away has a child audience, and even add enough nuance in its characters to make them more interesting than black-and-white stereotypes.

The use of the theme of love and it's effect on the story is cliché here and will not surprise anyone in any way, but is not mellow and its subtle enough to be enjoyed by an older audience.

Spirited Away is a top-notch movie for children and can equally be enjoyed by an older audience. It successfully connects with a dual audience and should be applauded for that.
  24. Jan 2, 2014
    O mundo de Chihiro fantásticamente fabuloso, com seus seres exóticas, uma história fascinante e uma trilha sonora de arrancar suspiros, um dos melhores de Miyazaki.
  25. Nov 20, 2013
    Beautifully drawn and beautifully scored. Spirited Away is intriguing and innovative and can definitely stand strong not only in the animated film genre but against all films in general. It's plainly a must see.
  26. Nov 18, 2013
    I loved it. Very dreamy, beautiful scenes, some heavy themes. I'm not sure what age the target audience is, but I could easily see children and adults both loving it for different reasons, or maybe the same reasons. Worth a watch, good movie to put on just before bed.
  27. Oct 12, 2013
    LouisH's review sucked. You didn't understand the movie because you are too close-minded to open yourself to any new ideas.

Spirited Away is definitely one of the most commanding pieces of animation I have ever seen. It carefully portrays the transition of Chihiro's maturity through a sequence of dire events and occasions that make this movie enchanting and rather dark too. I

I remember this movie was screened to one of my disinterested Japanese classes. Obviously, reception was great because they would of rather watched some dodgy teen movie. What a bunch of LouisH's...
  28. egg
    Oct 3, 2013
    This is one of the very best movies I have ever seen. No exaggeration. I won't lie, I can see why people wouldn't like it. I can see how it would completely go over some people's heads, but this is a movie which you don't need to keep up on. You can simply sit back and let it happen. But, it can also make you think about it too. There are numerous ways which you could watch this film. TheThis is one of the very best movies I have ever seen. No exaggeration. I won't lie, I can see why people wouldn't like it. I can see how it would completely go over some people's heads, but this is a movie which you don't need to keep up on. You can simply sit back and let it happen. But, it can also make you think about it too. There are numerous ways which you could watch this film. The story depth is fantastic. It delivers a complex plot which can sometimes be hard to keep up on, while still delivering a clear simple message whenever you watch it. The art and the animation is just stunning. There are too many ways to describe this movie. Yes. The hype is true. Watch it and find out for yourself. Expand
  29. Sep 12, 2013
    At first I was skeptical about watching a movie with a 10 year old girl as the protagonist, but I'm glad I did watch it, it was truly a great movie...
  30. Jul 23, 2013
    An easy 10/10. Spirited Away is not only my favorite anitmated/anime movie, but is one of my favorite movies of all time. A work of art and simply a masterpiece that makes me smile and happy everytime I watch it. Everything is beautiful about this movie, from the story, to the music, rightdown to the artwork itself. I mean the attention to detail in this movie is quite amazing. Thanks toAn easy 10/10. Spirited Away is not only my favorite anitmated/anime movie, but is one of my favorite movies of all time. A work of art and simply a masterpiece that makes me smile and happy everytime I watch it. Everything is beautiful about this movie, from the story, to the music, rightdown to the artwork itself. I mean the attention to detail in this movie is quite amazing. Thanks to the wonderful and brilliant mind of Hayao Miyazaki, this beautiful art work of a film will forever hold a special place in my heart. Expand
  31. Jun 29, 2013
    Decent movie worth a watch, with a strong storyline and a good script. However, I am not a fan of the animation, it reminds me too much of Pokemon and the typical Japanese cartoons.
  32. Jun 27, 2013
    It's hard to explain why, but Spirited Away is just amazing. There's a certain magic that comes from Miyazaki's creative and thrilling spirit world. Every character has depth, every scene is interesting, and the characters all undergo growth throughout the movie. Really, it is a must see movie.

33. Jun 26, 2013
    Esta película resalta entre las demás ya que cada minuto que corre es la puerta a una nueva forma de ver la película en si. Entre brujas, monstruos y fantasmas lo que demuestra es que dentro de una caben todas.
    Una de las mejores películas animadas, aunque aveces se tornaba confusa, pero siempre salia a una historia brillante que crece a cada paso.
  34. Jun 8, 2013
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  35. Jun 3, 2013
    Ten from ten. This is one of the best animated movies ever created. Plot takes you away from very first seconds and you live there in fairy country with Tihiro, saddens and rejoices with her in a flood of touching music. Hayao Miyazaki is a genius, well worth watching his other works.
  36. May 27, 2013
    Spirited Away is a weird and unique film that is wonderful in everyway. Hayao Miyazaki gives a truly haunting film that will take you into a different world and open your imagination.
  37. May 25, 2013
    In a hacky, derivative, and sequel-filled world, Spirited Away is a stunningly original masterpiece that is rarely seen, and sets new standards for animation as an art form.
  38. May 20, 2013
    La mejor película de animación,al mismo tiempo que la mejor película de la década y del realizador japones,Hayao Miyazaki.La película consigue muy bien llevarte a ese mundo de magia y fantasía basándose en las tradiciones japonesas.
  39. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you want to talk about a perfect film, then look no further than this one here. it is by far the best studio Ghibli film, probably one of the best animated movies, and just a really good movie overall. Some could be turned off from these type of movies for its different type of animation compared with Disney, but get over it and explore some variety. Some of the aspects of this film that make it so good are the characters, Chihiro is suppose to be this wining little girl, but in the end is mature. An evil witch named Yubaba, such a classic villain in my opinion, showing her cold heart with such nefarious acts as turning Chihiro's parents into pigs! All the rest are magical and full of creativity, there's no weak leak in characters. The setting is beautiful, showing the rich culture of Japan and the spectacular animation just makes one feel great. I cannot think of one problem about this movie, none, it's that good. Go watch it right now, or your missing out. Expand
  40. Apr 11, 2013
    A soothing yet compelling movie for all age groups. By far I have been most fond of the times in Miyazaki's movies where the pacing was slow, with "Kiki's Delivery Service" as my prime example of a perfect slow-paced movie. "Spirited away" did not only accomplish in that, but also did some thrilling action scenes which were "just the right amount", so they didn't distract from the realityA soothing yet compelling movie for all age groups. By far I have been most fond of the times in Miyazaki's movies where the pacing was slow, with "Kiki's Delivery Service" as my prime example of a perfect slow-paced movie. "Spirited away" did not only accomplish in that, but also did some thrilling action scenes which were "just the right amount", so they didn't distract from the reality which was happening here. The characters were lovable and interesting, the story and the ethics of the movie were simple yet suggestive, the animation was just what you are looking for; the perfect balance of kitche as portrayed "Howl's Moving Castle" and his other movies, which were not as so determined in making us feel blown away, but rather "sucked" into the story, and the movie as a whole was an experience with many memorable moments I'll be sure to be returning to many times. Expand
  41. Apr 7, 2013
    Great movie, probably in my top 5 animation movies.
    The characters are a little bit weird ("no face", "the putrid spirit", etc), but at the end it is perfect because it contributes to the fantasy world of the movie. This was one of the first Studio Ghibli movies I watched, and after watching some others (that are all high quality) I can tell this is the best one in my opinion.
  42. Mar 29, 2013
    Hayao Miyazaki has created a film that captures a beautiful world filled with colorful and bizarre creatures. He places a young girl into this world vulnerable to her surroundings who develops into a daring heroine. This film is a masterpiece in story and visual imagery. Miyazaki has done it again!
  43. Mar 23, 2013
    Perfect From Start To Finish
  44. Mar 15, 2013
    It is by far one of the greatest movies I have ever watched. Ever since I was little, this was the movie I thoroughly enjoyed watching. The animations are so detailed and structured, the characters so well developed, And everything falls into place. Simply a masterpiece for it's time, for it's company, and for everything else. It seems that Studio Ghibli, and particularly Hayao Miyazaki,It is by far one of the greatest movies I have ever watched. Ever since I was little, this was the movie I thoroughly enjoyed watching. The animations are so detailed and structured, the characters so well developed, And everything falls into place. Simply a masterpiece for it's time, for it's company, and for everything else. It seems that Studio Ghibli, and particularly Hayao Miyazaki, can't make a bad movie. Expand
  45. Mar 12, 2013
    I was looking for some good anime last week... i found this and when i watched it, i felt the magic in the room. This is the ONLY MOVIE that made me feel relaxed, sad, strange, great, happy at the same time! It just can't be explained if you haven'y seen it. I felt like i'm going through another dimension. I bought the original DVD the next day by accident. So "Spirited Away" gets my fullI was looking for some good anime last week... i found this and when i watched it, i felt the magic in the room. This is the ONLY MOVIE that made me feel relaxed, sad, strange, great, happy at the same time! It just can't be explained if you haven'y seen it. I felt like i'm going through another dimension. I bought the original DVD the next day by accident. So "Spirited Away" gets my full 10/10! Thank you Miyazaki Expand
  46. Feb 18, 2013
    This is my favorite one of Hayao Miyazaki's films, and I've seen almost all of them. It's unique and interesting and kept me intrigued throughout the entire thing when I first watched it in elementary school. And I was easily distracted then.
  47. Feb 11, 2013
    "Spirited Away" is the mountain high, the kind of movie we all wish to be able to make. The honest sensibility, gentle and simple storytelling that reincarnates on-the-fly into states of being beyond imagination-all of that supported by amazing yet nostalgic hand-drawn animation constitute one of the most important aesthetic achievements of the 21-th century.
  48. Feb 8, 2013
    Quite possibly the most overrated film by both the critics and the audience. Was it unique and interesting at first? Yes, but it manages to turn into a bizarrely random movie that makes you don't feel any emotion in the end. The metaphors in this movie must be hidden very well, cause I can't point them at all.
  49. Feb 4, 2013
    I try not to give all the films I "like" a 10/10 because two films I like, per se, might not be on the same level; not all films I like are 10/10 movies.. Therefore I try to give films an honest rating, there are only a few of my favorite movies that are 10/10 movies, those being, for example, the lord of the rings films, the green mile, and a few others, Spirited Away is one of them asI try not to give all the films I "like" a 10/10 because two films I like, per se, might not be on the same level; not all films I like are 10/10 movies.. Therefore I try to give films an honest rating, there are only a few of my favorite movies that are 10/10 movies, those being, for example, the lord of the rings films, the green mile, and a few others, Spirited Away is one of them as well. I think I was maybe 10 or 11 years old when Spirited Away popped up on cartoon network, I caught maybe the second half of it but I was enthralled so (get this, so old fashioned) I grabbed the newspaper and looked through the TV schedule to find the next viewing. I ended up watching it every time it was on TV until they stopped showing after like two weeks, my dad thought it was unhealthy for me and encouraged me to go outside anyway. I ended up forgetting about the movie for a long time, and I mean a long time. As a grew up I kinda picked up bird watching as a hobby and am actually now turning it into a profession, but I remember doing some research on barn owls and watching a video where the top rated comment was "barn owls always remind me of no-face from spirited away" holy crap, I've heard of that movie, yeah, it was that one on TV years ago, gosh I need to watch that again. I got my hands on the movie and as I sat down to watch it, for the first time in like 9 years, I thought to myself, "hmmmm... I hope this movie still appeals to me now that I'm almost 20" two hours later, there's me wiping tears from my eyes, grabbing my computer and looking up every other ghibli film out there. It was like I was immediately addicted, I needed my fix of ghibli films so I, eventually, over a year or so, got my hands on all of them; honesty, most of them are quite fantastic as well, especially mononoke and totoro. But back to this movie; as someone who watched dragon ball z and digimon and pokemon and anime like that and eventually grew out of it, I was completely astounded at how 'real' this film felt. No, obviously, the things that happened in the film took place in a fantasy world that was expertly crafted and just stretched the imagination beyond belief, but the characters felt real, they were tangible and believable, I connected with them and I cared about them because their emotions were earnest and connected with me so vividly. The character development was fantastic and that was one of the things that made it such a joy to watch. And some people might say that the story is haphazard and confusing; I didn't think so, I think the things that were unexplained in the films or ambiguous were meant to be that way, it adds to the mystery of it, and that's another that I loved so much; being able to make those decisions for yourself as to what you believe the writers implied. Not only that, but the animation itself was absolutely fantastic! The most visually breathtaking drawings and scenes I've ever seen are from this movie. And, as a musician and student of music, I'd like to say that Joe Hisaishi absolutely perfected this film with his impeccable score! Since I first re-watched it almost a year ago, I've probably watched it 5 or 6 times since and I just cant get enough of it. I listen to the soundtrack all the time and it's just beyond beautiful, as I mentioned before. This film is an absolute gem of a film, many people write off animated films before they give them a chance, but this is a film that could easily be translated into a live action film with real actors and it would work just as well; the medium with which a film is presented doesn't always dictate the quality or style of the film. I never thought that an anime film would be one of my favorite films of all time but indeed it is, I will watch Spirited Away a hundred more times, and when I have kids, I'll make sure it's one of the first films they watch as well. Expand
  50. Feb 1, 2013
    Prepare yourself for a magical journey in SPIRITED AWAY, the acclaimed Japanese animation by renown director Hayao Miyazaki. Chihiro finds herself lost in the spirit world after her parents are transformed into pigs by a malevolent witch, and she must gather her strength and courage if she hopes to save them! SPIRITED AWAY transports us to a fantasy world that is filled with strange andPrepare yourself for a magical journey in SPIRITED AWAY, the acclaimed Japanese animation by renown director Hayao Miyazaki. Chihiro finds herself lost in the spirit world after her parents are transformed into pigs by a malevolent witch, and she must gather her strength and courage if she hopes to save them! SPIRITED AWAY transports us to a fantasy world that is filled with strange and magnificent creatures who are brought to life through Miyazaki's captivating animated style. Chihiro's journey is a timeless story of self-discovery and the coming of age, where a young girl first discovers love and compassion by acting outside herself. Miyazaki uses traditional storytelling techniques to paint a unique new fairy tale that children of all ages can relate to, while keeping with its Japanese origins. The sometimes horrifying creatures that Chihiro encounters each represent a stage of childhood that she must overcome, and bring with them valuable lessons that she will use in her budding adolescence. SPIRITED AWAY provides childlike wonder for kids and adults alike, and is a masterpiece of modern animation. -Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  51. Jan 19, 2013
    Words cannot describe the visual designs and art direction of this amazing film. Hayao Miyazaki has made a film with an impressive plot followed by characters who he (unsurprisingly) manages to develop deeply. I would highly recommend this film to any fans of animation, and even to adults out there. This has the making of one of the best animated spectacles of the century.
  52. Jan 12, 2013
    Fantastic movie. Hayao Miyazaki's true masterpiece. Fruitful and exciting from beginning to end. An array of creative characters and beautiful music to accompany it.
  53. Jan 6, 2013
    A wondrous childhood pleasure for all the senses. The darkness becomes a fever dream that you enjoy in vivid detail. The characters keep the movie going through the unique responses. It is a great coming of age/ adventure movie.
  54. Nov 17, 2012
    The only non-English animated film to win an Oscar, Hayao Miyazaki's modern day fairytale plays like poetry on film, spinning the tale of Chihiro, a ten-year-old girl who wanders into a world on fanciful creatures. Distributed here in the states by Disney (because it was better than any animated film they'd put out in a while), Spirited Away proved to be a beautiful film for any age,The only non-English animated film to win an Oscar, Hayao Miyazaki's modern day fairytale plays like poetry on film, spinning the tale of Chihiro, a ten-year-old girl who wanders into a world on fanciful creatures. Distributed here in the states by Disney (because it was better than any animated film they'd put out in a while), Spirited Away proved to be a beautiful film for any age, without even being in 3-D. Who woulda thought? Expand
  55. Nov 9, 2012
    I will say that, to me, certain elements of the plot did not connect. And that's okay. Because that little hint of not knowing is part of the movies charm. Nothing needs to happen, nothing needs to calculate and nothing needs to add up. Because if nothing else, Spirited Away is, in every sense of the word, an escape. From the characters to the dialogue to the animation, this work is simplyI will say that, to me, certain elements of the plot did not connect. And that's okay. Because that little hint of not knowing is part of the movies charm. Nothing needs to happen, nothing needs to calculate and nothing needs to add up. Because if nothing else, Spirited Away is, in every sense of the word, an escape. From the characters to the dialogue to the animation, this work is simply spilling at the brims with magic, wonder and heart. I love it. Expand
  56. May 28, 2012
    This Is A Amazing Movie!
    Everyone Should See It (Even If You Dont Like Anime Or Animation)
    A Great Family Movie, The Animation Style Is Amazing! A Perfect Movie!
  57. May 25, 2012
    I'm not a fan of anime movies but this is something special. The script is very amazing and quite intriguing. Emotionally, I can connect to them and I love the fact that the story gets deeper and deeper and deeper until I get the whole idea. Hayao Miyazaki once again proved to us that he is the master of Japanese animation........
  58. May 17, 2012
    Spirited Away is a mindblowing, genuine and compelling experience. The themes of loss, adolescence, good and evil leaves a certain feeling lingering all the way through the ending credits. What I like most about this movie is that it's genuinely japanese. It's proud in a way that is not **** It incorporates japanese culture, sense for details, scenery and conversation in a way that is verySpirited Away is a mindblowing, genuine and compelling experience. The themes of loss, adolescence, good and evil leaves a certain feeling lingering all the way through the ending credits. What I like most about this movie is that it's genuinely japanese. It's proud in a way that is not **** It incorporates japanese culture, sense for details, scenery and conversation in a way that is very much graspable for westerners unexperienced with japanese culture. The plot contains suggestive elements which makes it a pleasure to watch over, and over again. This is the first Ghibli I experienced and I can't help but compare how close other animes make me feel in contrast to this picture, as if it were the ultimate of animated movies. Expand
  59. May 4, 2012
    This is my favorite Miyazaki film. Every few years I end up watching it again, and it's always enjoyable. It's an adorable film that people of all ages are capable of appreciating.
  60. Apr 23, 2012
    This move is the best Miyazaki film and the story is really good.I,ve seen it over 5 times and I think ,ts the best.The animation is really good and I think the characters are grate.
  61. Feb 16, 2012
    This is one of the great movies in Japan. I moved the state which Chihiro hang on working for getting her parents back. Good picture, good story... Everything is good.
  62. Feb 10, 2012
    Spirited Away is a fantastic film that deserves all the high ratings and attention it gets. The story sucks you in, and the animation is excellent. Characters are vivid and well thought-out. It's easily one of the best animated films ever to grace the movie industry, let alone the planet.
  63. Feb 4, 2012
    I have taken the time to read the reviews of users who gave it lower than a '3' and their views baffle me. Spirited Away is the best animated films I have seen since Lion King. It is one of my favorite films from a Studio that always creates a magical and wonderful experience. The animation is utterly sublime for 2001. The Characters are so complex yet simple that it makes them enthrallingI have taken the time to read the reviews of users who gave it lower than a '3' and their views baffle me. Spirited Away is the best animated films I have seen since Lion King. It is one of my favorite films from a Studio that always creates a magical and wonderful experience. The animation is utterly sublime for 2001. The Characters are so complex yet simple that it makes them enthralling to both kids and adults. The voice acting is tremendous, both the Japanese and English dub. The story is beautifully unique, which is rare in a Studio Ghibli film which often re-tell classics. Whoever said it is like Alice in wonderland is wrong. The story is an eloquent and beautiful creation.

There is so much I could say about this film, it is simply one of the greatest animated films to be made. Exactly why it is the only non-american film to win an Oscar for best animated picture. It shows that not only Disney and Pixar can animate, but Japan and Studio Ghibli have been doing it since before Pixar was born.
  64. Feb 2, 2012
    It's a great movie to watch. I love the scene in the train with no face, that one touches me (really). Others hate it because in their mind anime are like naruto or others, but it's not.
  65. Jan 18, 2012
    Probably one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen - everything from the amazingly detailed world to the wonderful characters are perfect. Miyazaki manages to bring out the true potential of anime, establishing an amazing story and keeping everything in the movie relevant to it. I'm not a hardcore anime or manga fan, I've only read a few books and watched a few shows. When I firstProbably one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen - everything from the amazingly detailed world to the wonderful characters are perfect. Miyazaki manages to bring out the true potential of anime, establishing an amazing story and keeping everything in the movie relevant to it. I'm not a hardcore anime or manga fan, I've only read a few books and watched a few shows. When I first heard about this movie from a few friends, I was quite skeptical - till I finally watched it. Even though it was slightly long compared to an average movie, I don't regret a single second of watching it. The only bad part about it was that it ended.

I definitely recommend this movie to any age. If you're not an anime fan or slightly skeptical about the idea of watching the movie, I urge you to do it - you won't be disappointed. Perfect 10/10.
  66. Jan 13, 2012
    I watched the japanese version which was amazing. Miyazaki is a grand-master of animation. Every detail is nicely done and very beautiful. I would give the disney version 2 points less because I didn't like the english synchronisation at all. Much better to watch it in japanese, with subtitles.
  67. Jan 9, 2012
    Not much to say. Fantastic movie, the best cartoon movie of all time by far and a masterpiece in cinema's history. Once again Miyazaki made a memorable movie.
  68. Dec 27, 2011
    Spirited Away is imaginative, adventerous, thrilling, heartfelt, visually beautiful and funny. Hayao Miyazaki has definitely created the best animated movie yet. I give this movie 98%.
  69. Dec 13, 2011
    This is the best movie of Hayao Miyazaki . I have seen it over 7 times and I think it deserves a 10/10. All I can say is a epic movie it is great .
  70. Dec 9, 2011
    Being a fan of Japanese animations since a very young age, I was expecting to be really entertained by "Spirited Away". But Hayao Miyazaki surpassed my highest expectations by leading me into a such breathtaking, exciting and unforgettable tale of friendship and bravery. Well done!
  71. Dec 8, 2011
    In the movie Spirited Away, we are transported into one of director Hayao Miyazakiâ
  72. Nov 10, 2011
    this movie got me through both middle and high school. words cannot express how much this film has help me over the years. i must have seen it over 50 times by now lol. +solid visuals
    +solid voice acting
  73. Oct 17, 2011
    This is, without doubt, one of the best movies I have ever seen! Animation at its best. Spirited Away is another masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki, and it does not disappoint. I've watched this movie countless times, and it's never boring. Tears, every time.
  74. Oct 6, 2011
    Awesome movie and anyone who says otherwise is either blind, a communist, or hates puppies. No movie has effected me this much since Toy Story. Love it
  75. Sep 29, 2011
    "Spirited Away", made by the Japanese animation king Hayao Miyazaki, is a amazing film. It has the capacity of diving deep into the characters and script and transforming them into a mature state. Its a film that knows what its doing and perfectly executes it's job. It's just simply amazing...
  76. Sep 5, 2011
    Spirited Away is a deep and memorable Japanese masterpiece. The animation is some of the best that has ever come out of Japan, the characters are very original and the story unique. This is a movie that must be watched several times to discover its depth and originality. Highly Recommended.
  77. Apr 22, 2011
    Another Miyazaki classic that is both enchanting and innovative. Pros: Visually and imaginatively breathtaking. Cons: It's sure to scare the pants off of its younger demographic with some nightmarish imagery.
  78. Feb 20, 2011
    Unbelievable movie. The artwork was by far the most beautiful I've ever seen. The story is heart-warming and tear-jerking. Incredibly imaginative and great character development. If you don't like this movie you should kill yourself.
  79. Jan 31, 2011
    A little girl called Chihiro falls into a surreal world, from which she tries to save her parents. At first most characters appear to be bad-tempered or even evil. Nevertheless, along the way they all turn out rather nice. Therefore, none of the characters are categorizable into the typical archetypes of good or bad. This "realness" of the characters' personalities, however, makes theA little girl called Chihiro falls into a surreal world, from which she tries to save her parents. At first most characters appear to be bad-tempered or even evil. Nevertheless, along the way they all turn out rather nice. Therefore, none of the characters are categorizable into the typical archetypes of good or bad. This "realness" of the characters' personalities, however, makes the movie's storytelling very unusual to the habits and expectations of us western moviegoers. Moreover, one might miss a sense of having learned a lesson over the course of the film, for the parents do not rethink their piggishness, and Chihiro, despite many experiences and therefore many opportunities, does not appear to have grown much out from her childish vulnerability and dependence either. For these reasons, and despite its vivid imagination, Spirited Away (has great potential, but) might not satisfy everyone. However, the viewer might learn a lesson of freeing oneself from expectations and opening up for the unconventional. Expand
  80. Jan 18, 2011
    When I put Spirited Away into my DVD player it was already facing a tough critic as I hate Japanese Animation, but for the most part it won me over. That isn't to say I loved it, as I found the dialogue rather infantile in parts and at times the movie became to sappy, but overall the animation and Alice in Wonderland feel offers a lot for the palate and will in turn offer viewers anWhen I put Spirited Away into my DVD player it was already facing a tough critic as I hate Japanese Animation, but for the most part it won me over. That isn't to say I loved it, as I found the dialogue rather infantile in parts and at times the movie became to sappy, but overall the animation and Alice in Wonderland feel offers a lot for the palate and will in turn offer viewers an exciting display in Japanese Animation. Expand
  81. Nov 28, 2010
    Best animated movie from all times with an original fantasy nice story, a movie for all family , i recommend ''walking castle'' from same director.
  82. Nov 2, 2010
    My second favorite animated movie of all time. I loved this movie so much i wished it was a series or that somehow it never ended. That is a good sign that you are watching something special. I can describe it all with one word: beautiful.
  83. Oct 24, 2010
    a Hayao Miyazaki version of Alice in Wonderland and its so incredible!
  84. Oct 17, 2010
    Although I don't rate it as highly as critics and users a like I still think it is revolutionary and bold cinema. Its like a Disney Classic with a imaginative Eastern twist. The characters are probably more complex than Disneys although at times the storyline does not hold up to Toy Story etc. Not that this is really a problem, it is really the dream like quality of all the spirit beingsAlthough I don't rate it as highly as critics and users a like I still think it is revolutionary and bold cinema. Its like a Disney Classic with a imaginative Eastern twist. The characters are probably more complex than Disneys although at times the storyline does not hold up to Toy Story etc. Not that this is really a problem, it is really the dream like quality of all the spirit beings that drives it through. Expand
  85. def
    Oct 12, 2010
    This is so not as good as Totoro. Or Graveyard of the Fireflies. I have no idea why this movie is always rated higher than Totoro other than it was marketed heavily in the US and Totoro was not.
  86. Oct 4, 2010
    This is the first film that I have seen by Hayao Miyazaki, and I thought that it was beautiful, mysterious and very original. However, it's hard to compare it with Pixar because the differance between anime and computer generated animation is such that they are almost completely different genres. I found 'Spirited Away' very relaxing and meaningful. The animation was superb, the storylineThis is the first film that I have seen by Hayao Miyazaki, and I thought that it was beautiful, mysterious and very original. However, it's hard to compare it with Pixar because the differance between anime and computer generated animation is such that they are almost completely different genres. I found 'Spirited Away' very relaxing and meaningful. The animation was superb, the storyline was unique and heartfelt and the characters were a lot of fun, especially the superbly animated Yubaba. It will go down in history as one of the best animated films of all time, and was a pleasure to watch. Expand
  87. Sep 20, 2010
    May I say to all those who fail to identify the theme or point of this film - you must be blind, or plain ignorant. I won't hold this against you however, just would hope you could refrain from voicing your opinions as gospel. The 'point' of this gorgeously animated film, is that it is the adventure that is important. Chihiro comes out of it with independence, and a deeper insight into theMay I say to all those who fail to identify the theme or point of this film - you must be blind, or plain ignorant. I won't hold this against you however, just would hope you could refrain from voicing your opinions as gospel. The 'point' of this gorgeously animated film, is that it is the adventure that is important. Chihiro comes out of it with independence, and a deeper insight into the responsibilities of the adult, preparing her for the difficult period of starting a new life, and what friendship + love mean. In essence, it is a 'coming of age' film of sorts. A preperation for adult life. A learning curve. You may notice that her first bouquet of flowers may be an little allusion to the coming future?

I for one, consider it among my Top 5. It is a pure and beautiful take on one girl's experience, that those from all walks of life can relate to. And even if you can't understand the inner-workings, can't you just enjoy a film? Sometimes you can't explain attachment. You can't choose who you love. Yadayada...
  88. Aug 27, 2010
    If "Princess Mononoke" displayed Miyazake's eye for epic scale and "My Neighbor Totoro" showed his charm, "Spirited Away" best represents his innate talent for storytelling and enchantment. The movie literally sweeps the viewer into another world filled with imagination and absurdity following the misadventures of main character Sen as she tries to understand and adjust to the world aroundIf "Princess Mononoke" displayed Miyazake's eye for epic scale and "My Neighbor Totoro" showed his charm, "Spirited Away" best represents his innate talent for storytelling and enchantment. The movie literally sweeps the viewer into another world filled with imagination and absurdity following the misadventures of main character Sen as she tries to understand and adjust to the world around her, a perfect allegory for coming of age. It easily ranks among the best animated features of all time. Expand

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.