Splice

5.4

1. Air
    Oct 8, 2010
    Really, don't expect anything stellar here. The biggest fault of the movie is that it tries to blend elements from various genres into one, mediocre package. The premise is intriguing; you are in a reality where gene splicing is already being used to cure many diseases of creatures other than humans (or something along that line). Two scientists who are in a romantic relationship decide toReally, don't expect anything stellar here. The biggest fault of the movie is that it tries to blend elements from various genres into one, mediocre package. The premise is intriguing; you are in a reality where gene splicing is already being used to cure many diseases of creatures other than humans (or something along that line). Two scientists who are in a romantic relationship decide to do the bold, and try using human genes in the splicing process. It is from that moment where they create the hybrid creature until the next hour which you must endure what can be called a "child-raising" sequence. However, right as you begin to think this is what the movie is all about, it takes a huge right turn and puts it in more of a horror-movie style setting, but only for a couple of minutes. Literally. It's obvious this was just put in there so they could snag the horror fanatics in their marketing, but if you come into this expecting a deep, compelling, and thought-provoking Sci-Fi film, or a scary and thrilling Horror film, then you may have come to the wrong place. Expand
  2. JohnS.
    Jun 6, 2010
    A fusion of "The Fly" and "Species" with a some disturbing pseudo incestuous sex / rape scenes. All in all, not very scary and predictable. The characters were some what irritating as well. Wait for the DVD. I was surprised to find a few families bringing their young children. This movie has very disturbing and graphical sexual content. DO NOT BRING CHILDREN! I guess R-ratings aren't A fusion of "The Fly" and "Species" with a some disturbing pseudo incestuous sex / rape scenes. All in all, not very scary and predictable. The characters were some what irritating as well. Wait for the DVD. I was surprised to find a few families bringing their young children. This movie has very disturbing and graphical sexual content. DO NOT BRING CHILDREN! I guess R-ratings aren't sufficient warning anymore. Expand
  3. KevyB
    Jun 18, 2010
    Yeah, the Metacritic score is so off! While little of this is truly bad (except for the creature-lovin'), it's all truly predictable, so you find yourself glancing at your watch waiting for the scenes you know are coming to finally get here. Which might be forgivable if this horror film had any scares to it. Aren't horror films supposed to be scary AND unpredictable?
  4. JohnQ.
    Jun 4, 2010
    The ending made the whole movie fall flat for me, it was just too grotesque by the end to be the perfect ending. [***SPOILER***] Without giving everything away, the story could have handled Dren better other than "it went crazy and had to be killed". It's too bad, I liked the premise of exploring what creating a human-beast hybrid entails, ethics/morality of dabbling with nature (or The ending made the whole movie fall flat for me, it was just too grotesque by the end to be the perfect ending. [***SPOILER***] Without giving everything away, the story could have handled Dren better other than "it went crazy and had to be killed". It's too bad, I liked the premise of exploring what creating a human-beast hybrid entails, ethics/morality of dabbling with nature (or creating a monster, depending). It's not an awful movie, just felt like the director forgot where he was going with it somewhere in the middle. Expand
  5. Aug 14, 2010
    Average sci-fi movie. It's worth watching it for free, but I'm not sure I would pay to see in the theater or on DVD. It's a hair better than the made for SyFy movies.
  6. freedomfries
    Jun 7, 2010
    This ending was pretty bad...and I agree with @Petey, pretty predictable. Then my gf took me to Killers...I wasn't prepared for how good that was! Pretty funny. I'll give it to Ashton.
  7. Sep 25, 2010
    What began as a truly interesting and unique piece of sci-fi somehow ended up an absurd mess of impossibilities. It's as if the director decided to throw in every plot twist imaginable into the last half hour of the film. As a whole, credit is due for the unique content but the atmosphere established throughout is spoiled by the insane ending.
  8. Mar 16, 2013
    I didn’t enjoy this film as much as I was expecting to; I guess I wanted better from the director of Cube. I felt there wasn’t enough character development and so I found it very hard to sympathise with either of the leads. It is alluded to that one of them may have had psychological problems as a child but this is just skated over and when it later becomes a major plot point it has lostI didn’t enjoy this film as much as I was expecting to; I guess I wanted better from the director of Cube. I felt there wasn’t enough character development and so I found it very hard to sympathise with either of the leads. It is alluded to that one of them may have had psychological problems as a child but this is just skated over and when it later becomes a major plot point it has lost all of the impact it might have had. I thought the performances were all right with nobody really standing out. I do have to give a little praise to Delphine Chanéac though for her portrayal of Dren though; it was more of a mime because there’s no dialogue, but I thought she did it well. Over all, a disappointing film that promised much but failed to deliver by the end. It all became a little too predictable from the point the cat appears on the scene; you *know* it’s going to end badly for the cat what is it with filmmakers and cats!? Let kitty live! It might gain you an extra point!

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED

My score: 5.2/10
  9. Oct 8, 2010
    I thought this sci-fi/horror film was well done. Some parts were very disturbing which I like to see in a horror film. But for me it just kinda went on too long. But I enjoyed it very much and I would watch it again. But it's probably one of those movies where you can only watch once and think it's good. I give it a good and a MEH.
  10. Nov 5, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, that was educational. As a scientist, I should make note never to fool around with human DNA. And if I do, never to let subjects grow into freakish but at the same time strangely cute girls. And at any rate, never ever to have sex with them; well, maybe just once. (Note to self: same goes for aliens and other monstrosities). Sometimes it doesn't end well.

Seriously now, the movie is not all bad. It doesn't work as a horror and the storyline is ridiculous. However, I found it fresh and amusing enough to be worth watching.
  11. Oct 25, 2010
    The movie has great special effects, but the storyline is just sick. Acting is O.K. but far from outstanding. It was supposed to be a horror movie, but it didn't frighten me at all.
  12. Nov 30, 2010
    I don't really know how to rate this movie. It freaked me out and really disturbed me. It's not scary, but is just morally confusing. The acting isn't great, the plot could be better, and some of the effects were a tad on the lame side, especially the giant living boogers they make.
  13. Jun 1, 2011
    I remain split with this film. While always enjoying a good gore flick, I am not sure that this film really satisfied my taste for gore the way i wanted it to. It achieves in making you realize just how sick and twisted it is to experiment with human DNA and the result is truly heartbreaking. When the film takes the "horror" turn, it looses it's originality and becomes just another monsterI remain split with this film. While always enjoying a good gore flick, I am not sure that this film really satisfied my taste for gore the way i wanted it to. It achieves in making you realize just how sick and twisted it is to experiment with human DNA and the result is truly heartbreaking. When the film takes the "horror" turn, it looses it's originality and becomes just another monster chase instead of sticking with it's roots in the first act. Not really that good, and I would not watch it again for pleasure.......but perhaps just to enjoy the occasional train-wreck. Expand
  14. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    This is one disturbing movie that's really hard to recommend to anyone. I thought it was really good up until the ridiculous ending. But I guess the whole thing is kind of ridiculous anyways.
  15. Jun 7, 2013
    It never quite makes the leap into being a bonafide sci-fi flick. Like a few other people have stated, it wavers between having a thought provoking message and being a simple horror movie. It never fully commits to either. There are some really tense moments to be sure, and these are the best moments in the film. Overall, I think Splice was just a huge missed opportunity. I own it, andIt never quite makes the leap into being a bonafide sci-fi flick. Like a few other people have stated, it wavers between having a thought provoking message and being a simple horror movie. It never fully commits to either. There are some really tense moments to be sure, and these are the best moments in the film. Overall, I think Splice was just a huge missed opportunity. I own it, and every time I watch it, that's what I think to myself. It could have been a challenging moral film or a terrifying horror film, but it never gets its identity in line, doing both only marginally well. Pretty forgettable to be honest. Expand
  16. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Science Fiction is my passion. I write it, I read it, I watch it, I love it, but movies like Splice are what keeps people away from the genre. This film is twisted, disgusting, and just up. Two scientists decide they can splice human and animal DNA to create a genetically perfect being. This being would naturally produce cures to many diseases and could change the world. The whole time I was waiting for this thing to go crazy and kill everyone, but it doesn't quite happen that way. First, the scientists treat it like a pet, than a baby, than they it... Oh no, I'm not joking! This film is disgusting! ...and how come everything these scientists make looks like a big penis? Seriously, I have never seen something that is just so pointless and disturbing. I can honestly say I wish I hadn't seen this film. Expand
  17. Jun 10, 2013
    This is kind of an interesting sci-fi movie worth recommending if the characters weren't so stupid. It is a good time while you are watching it, but the more you think about it the more you shake your head.

1. Despite Brody and Polley's reasonable efforts, they can't compensate for a script that undermines its curiosity about humanity.
  2. A cheeky, great-looking, thoughtfully loopy creature feature about the lure and dangers of cutting-edge gene splicing.
  3. Writer/director Vincenzo Natali takes his tale in some truly icky directions, not quite making it into Cronenbergland but going far enough to elicit solid 'ewww' laughs from the crowd.