7.9

1. May 27, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a great action movie. It will be one of the best action movies of 2013, because it's just great. The special effects are faultless, also. My few complaints with it are that the beginning bombing is hard to follow, and the end wasn't satisfactory for me. Great movie all around!
  2. Jun 24, 2013
    I'm not much of a Star Trek fan. Never have been, and I doubt I ever will be. However, I am a fan of movies in general. As far as movies go, Star Trek Into Darkness delivers. The plot is engaging, the villain(s) are awesome, and the action is excellent. The movie as a whole is a very good and satisfying sci fi movie. Whether or not it's a good Star Trek movie is beyond my knowledge.
  3. May 19, 2013
    This movie was awesome! I have no clue why anyone would go below and 8 and thats for trekies standards. The movie was non stop compelling and didn't make you feel like your waiting for the boring scene to be over. The graphics were top notch and the bad guy can kick some a$$.. like you should just lay down and cry if this dude was coming after you. I love the whole "who is leading who" concept. Only thing I can say that was missing was more of a back story on the villian to make us really like or hate him. Other than that.. you need to take your family to go see this or you're not an Merican! pew pew Expand
  4. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    Overall Into Darkness was good. For me it wasn't as enjoyable or refreshing as its predecessor, but it most certainly had a better villain. One thing I really didn't like though was how they took the minor characters and made them feel even more secondary in this installment than in the first. Also the moment where Carol undressed in front of Kirk was gapingly obvious and shoe horned eye candy. If you're a female you don't willingly go into a room with another guy, and simply ask him not to look while you're getting undressed. The more logical thing to do would be to do this on your own time. "I told you not to look"....obvious shoe horned eye candy. Either way, the action was intense, the visuals were stunning, the characters were great and the performances were good especially from Benedict Cumberbatch who kills it as Khan. Expand
  5. Jun 12, 2013
    I am not particularly a Star Trek fan. I appreciate it's contributions to television and film, but it is just something I never got into.

This movie was really great. I went into it without many expectations and left pleased. The characters develop in realistic ways and romantic love isn't a central theme (like it is in a ton of movies these days).

If you are looking for lots of
    twists and surprises, check this movie out. Great cast and great writing. Expand
  6. May 30, 2013
    As a scfi fan quite excited to see this film I unfortunately left disappoint a little. JJ Abrams said this is a stand-alone film where the audience does not need to have seen prior Star Trek films to enjoy. This is true to a certain extent where you realise it references and reuses much Star Trek history. I thought this is a good and bad aspect of the film. The reason is because whilst it is unoriginal to a degree it enables old fans to be acknowledged and new fans to enjoy the film. Old fans might also see the crew, besides Kirk and Spock, have minimal screen time. I was also disappointed with this because they almost disappeared. However those who know the history of this franchise will enjoy it more because of these references to past star trek works.

From the beginning of the film action occurs regularly and at varied scales. Any fan of action films will be awed by the large set piece sequences unfolding before them with satisfying SFX, great art designs, and sound. Visuals clearly are one of the strong aspects that most, including me, immediately are impressed by (especially the warp battle scene). Also seeing a futuristic Earth is great and I really wanted to see more of it than we did however what you do see is great.

Acting from all was just fine. Not one line of dialogue was out of place.

The story itself is good but as said earlier reuses and references too much Star Trek history to be praised for originality. I know this is an alternative universe where events only up to a certain point are changed but the reasons for everything that occurs is largely one persons imagination, i.e. we don’t see events which generate the supposedly perpetuated fear. I believe that ‘Into Darkness’ is an incorrectly chosen title because there isn’t much darkness in this film.

In critiquing the story think the antagonist’s action are too extreme for what he aims to achieve; he is experienced in war, has a calm demeanour, is methodical and is strategic. Somehow despite his motivations for his actions the collateral damage incurred doesn’t fit. This makes no sense to me because we find out who his target is all along. If he is very skilled and capable then why kill so many others when one person is your target. Friends have said ‘he is a complex bad guy’ whereas my impression is his character doesn’t match his actions.

You shouldn’t be surprised that with little screen time the crew of the Enterprise hardly develop as characters, except for Sulu, Kirk and Spock. They do get their screen time but we see no growth or change in the characters. Hence the crew become backdrops to transport Kirk and Spock around to have a swash-buckling adventure.

If you are interested in seeing this film please do. You will be entertained and escape from reality for a few hours. Whilst you will have some enjoyment you might leave a little disappointed like I did. The reason is because the story reuses and references too much past material, the antagonist’s character and actions are a mis-fit; and the Enterprise crew (besides Kirk and Spock) are minor characters.
  7. May 17, 2013
    Haven't had a better 2 hours of silly fun at the movies this year. Great performances of iconic characters, terrific production values and a fun twist on an old villain. Enjoy.
  8. May 20, 2013
    I'm new to the star trek series so I can not compare this to previous films but, I can say this was a good introduction. The story is very good and the characters are very memorable, as they were before, and just when you think the movies over it's not, and then it does it again.
  9. May 20, 2013
    By being the second Star Trek film released this time round the will always be a comparison to Wrath of Khan, but how well does this film do? The story in this film is quite good following the crew of the Enterprise as they go on a revenge mission against Jon Harrison, played excellently by Benedict Cumberbatch. There are twists and turns here and there but most can be seen from along way away. The growth of the supporting casts characters is welcomed and I felt the main cast were now more than 1 dimensional characters unlike the last film. The Kirk and Spock relationship also improves this time. It is also once again Bones gets the best lines of the film. The action sequences are cool but I was irked by the fact that sequences felt like the last film and the fact everyone was always running at the slightest hint of urgency. The lens flare is back yet J.J Abrams has toned it down a bit this time. It also became irritating at times when people just couldn't be transported for one reason or another as away to set up another action scene. Finally aside from about 10 seconds of goofy 3D where things fly at he screen the 3D effects are almost none existent. Compared to the first Star Trek this film is better in pretty much every way from the action, to the story and to the villain. However since it slaps you in the face with Wrath of Khan references it shows it is nowhere near as good a film.
    Rating 7 out of 10
    A very good effort marred by comparisons and callbacks to the other Star Trek 2
  10. Jun 4, 2013
    I will begin by stating that I am not a Star Trek fan which may invalidate my opinion to fans of the series, which I understand being that I am a Star Wars fan and have already gone through the painful process of having the cannon of a franchise I love turned to utter Basically it's a dumb action franchise with a beloved name attatched to it, if you can get past that, you can enjoy it (I did) if you can't stand the thought of a sacred cow being butchered and sold at a discount, then for the love of God spare yourself the agony. Expand
  11. Jun 24, 2013
    Not as good as the reboot that came out 4 years ago or even close to Star trek 2 but it is still a highlight of this years track of movies which seems to have a lot of competition surrounding it.
  12. May 18, 2013
    The nerd's nirvana of science fiction series, probably more so than Star Wars, the Star Trek story grows as it actually regresses in its story to the beginning of its five year exploratory mission, as is explained famously in the intro of the two TV series. The first may have taken some getting used to, seeing new actors play much younger versions of the original series, but "Into Darkness" firmly places Chris Pine particularly as James Kirk in the coveted position of a legendary character.
    Still rebellious and impulsive, without giving the plot away, we find the Enterprise crew fighting most of the film close to home and in London against a very fresh Khan, or as fresh as you can be for being 300 years old.
    I'm not a big trekkie, but my wife adores the series. I was pleasantly surprised by good acting and some very cool special effects, my favorite the planets one space station orbits, much like Jupiter and alien landscapes. This is where visual imagination has no limits and it's done brilliantly, although I do wonder if all planets are so oxygen rich one can just walk off the plank without worrying about the atmosphere or lack of one.
    But we assume all that stuff was taken care of and don't sweat the details. Pine is a first rate actor, as are all the cast, and for a summer movie with lots of action, boom booms and a very cool futuristic London, it's a fine choice. Abrams has done a very good job with this movie, and probably will be up for some special effects Oscars at years' end. One thing I must ask: in a world over two hundred years in the future, will they really have old vinyl records and turntables? Not to mention the same kind of music we listen to now.
  13. May 19, 2013
    So I went to see this tonight and I have to say I was absolutely enthralled throughout. Incredibly good film with a perfect mixture of nostalgia for the old school fans and new things for the new fans...
  14. Jul 8, 2013
    Considering I have not seen any other Star Trek movie I was pleasantly surprised. I came into the theater expecting this movie to completely suck. In the end I was very surprised and impressed by a decent plot of this movie by todays standards.
  15. May 18, 2013
    I’m probably the wrong person to write this review. I’m sure, out there, exists a long-time devoted Trekkie who went to see Star Trek: Into Darkness and found it perfectly in tone with the rest of their beloved franchise. I have never seen an episode of Star Trek; I’m not sure what Deep Space Nine is or why the Klingon language sounds similar to a toad deepthroating a foghorn. My knowledge of its universe is limited to the first Abrams film released in 2009, a 10 minute segment from the original series with some sort of connection to the Epic of Gilgamesh my history teacher bestowed upon my class during my freshman year of high school, general pop culture, and now, the new JJ Abrams film, Into Darkness. Upfront: I am writing this review completely ignorant of 99% of Star Trek mythology up until this point. Truthfully, I think this blindness grants me an advantage to be able to judge the film objectively and without the taint of hundreds of television episodes, numerous motion pictures, and an endless surplus of fan mania. My non-bias conclusion: Into Darkness has a lot of problems.

Read More http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/star-trek-into-darkness-review-when-good-enough-isnt-good-enough/
  16. May 21, 2013
    I loved it!! This is among my favorite movies ever. I haven't been lost (in a good way) in a movie for a long time and it was great to feel that good about a movie again. So good.
  17. May 23, 2013
    JJ Abrams is back and so is his lens flare. While less noticeable in this sequel, it is still there and still unappreciated. Cinematography aside, the story leaves a lot to be desired as well. The first movie in 2009 was essentially a reboot of the franchise, the time travelling Spock gave a plausible sense of an "alternate history" Star Trek Universe where the "old crew" could explore a "new future". However this sequel then proceeds to rip off its plot at key moments from the original Star Trek Wrath of Khan. While not a shot for shot remake of the story the parallels are obvious to any Star Trek fan. There are numerous moments in the movie when aspects from the original are blatantly copied. This is not what I want to see in a reboot franchise that explicitly altered the universe for the sake of continuity. The 2009 movie was designed to open a new future for the crew to follow, yet they seem to plod along and follow the original movie scripts in this sequel. It is just lazy writing and poor direction. An original story would have been far better. They had so much they could draw from and they chose instead to copy Wrath of Khan.
    I would have scored the movie much lower, but Wrath of Khan is a great movie and even this rip off has its merits. Its lack of originality and lack of character development for everyone except Spock hamper it slightly. The effects of course are top notch, as expected in a sci-fi blockbuster of this caliber. The musical score could use help as it essentially runs the same score as the first movie. There is a distinctive lack in familiar alien races as well, I understand this is a reboot and that the timeline is before much of the exploration has been completed, but there are literally dozens of unfamiliar alien races serving on the Enterprise and living on Earth, I could forgive one or two unfamiliar races but at this point they are just littering the screen with costumes and makeup for the sake of it.
    I can only hope that a third movie will learn from the mistakes of the original movie series and will also take into account that this is in fact a reboot and does in fact need some original writing to take advantage of that fact.
  18. May 17, 2013
    The thing about the first Star Trek movie, as made by J.J. Abrams, was that it had some big shoes to fill. Star Trek's legacy has lasted nearly 50 years. From it's very beginnings in the 1960s and the constant threat of near cancellation, through 4 consecutive spinoffs, 3 of which lasted 7 years in length. It already had 6 movies with the original cast and 4 with the Next Generation cast. Not to mention all the various video games, books and other content that's out there for people to absorb. Big shoes to fill might be a massive understatement given the circumstances.

Yet J.J. Abrams managed to succeed in giving old and new fans exactly what they want. A film that both respects the legacy of the previous shows, not to mention the one it's based on, and still manages to bring something to it that doesn't require new fans to understand everything about the previous version to enjoy it. J.J. Abrams has often said about the new Star Trek movies that he wanted to bring a sense of Star Wars to the Star Trek universe (a statement that some consider controversial, particularly now that he has been hired to helm the new Star Wars movies) and I think he succeeded on a certain level while maintaining what was great about Star Trek.

Personally, I've always been more of a Star Trek fan then a Star Wars fan. I enjoyed both but what attracted me to Star Trek was the sense of morality that was inherent to the way the shows worked. In the 60s, Star Trek was most often about the morality of race relations and the sense of threat that nuclear weapons posed in the face of the Cold War. With Star Trek: TNG, it focused a lot on the post-Cold War mentality, with DS9 there was talk of religious conflict and uncertainty, Voyager was most often about maintaining ideals without the structure to keep them in place, and Enterprise was about where that type of morality begins.

The first J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie never really had that moral compass behind it that I recall. I watched it again recently and I wasn't able to figure that part of it out. Thankfully, Star Trek Into Darkness didn't have that problem. It had a clear message of morality to it that was the beating heart of the story. Much like the first one however, it kept that sense of adventure and simplicity to it that made the first one a joy to watch regardless of the level of knowledge you have about the characters and the history that it comes from. It also manages to maintain a sense of humor about itself and that history which long time fans will absolutely love.

Particularly when it comes to one aspect of the story which I will not ruin for you and maintain your reason for going to see it if you're a long time Star Trek fan. Suffice to say there are expectations that people have about this film no matter what your level of interest in Star Trek is which are both met and in my opinion exceeded. For the second time J.J. Abrams has created a film that is funny, smart, action packed and emotionally honest. He understands the audience he's catering to and he's not afraid to give them what they want, but he's also not afraid to do the unexpected. He flips some expectations on their head and within the context of the story he's telling it's the best thing he could do.

I was concerned that given the title that they were going to take the story into a dark place and shift things to a place where the things I liked about Star Trek don't really apply. With the exception of a noticeable reduction in lens flairs, they haven't done it and thank god for that. There's a reason why J.J. Abrams is one of the hottest directors in Hollywood right now and Star Trek Into Darkness is proof of exactly why.

How far into Darkness can they go? Just the right amount to give us a great film that's a worthy addition to the Star Trek legacy.

For more of my reviews, go here:

19. Jun 15, 2013
    I wonder if the critics who spoke this film is just another blogbuster, we need a better script for the third film actually watched the movie or invented it does not need to leave home to work, because the film is a tribute first for the series and the 1982 film, and the best and do not need to be named fan of the series to understand it and appreciate it, has great action scenes that use 3D as well as a roadmap human, intriguing and thoughtful, and best, actors who are entitled to interpret that character. Expand
  20. Oct 4, 2013
    Two words: lens flare.

But because that will not fulfill metacritic's 150 character minimum, let me add that as a fan of the original series, I am offended by this rebooting, which cheapens the original series concept by re-imagining it as a big-budget rock 'em sock 'em blockbuster for teenage boys. Seriously, how many fist fights are we expected to endure? Even stoic, logical Mr Spock
    gets into the act.

Not to mention the lens flare.

Please, next time, spare us another unimaginative, mediocre, Earth-bound spectacle without a trace of grandeur.
  21. May 23, 2013
    Okay, as an action movie it's really great, characters are perfectly acted, plot has it's twists, and the ending is satisfying! But my expectations were higher, Star Trek is Science Fiction, not a fantasy. And 3d is pointless here(except for prologue). So it's a great action movie, but could've been better!
  22. Jun 8, 2013
    For the first time in decades, I want to see a movie again immediately.

I'm old enough to have seen Star Trek first run in the '60's. Saw Star Wars opening weekend in LA. I consider myself a Star Trek fan, not a Trekkie. I have a large library of science fiction books and movies that cover the gamut.

I say all that to provide some credibility and context to this; Star Trek Into
    Darkness is a magnificent film. Not perfect, but very, very well done. I saw this in IMAX 3D and noticed some motion artifacts and ghosting but otherwise it worked well in this format.

Brilliant screenplay. Several lines that are "connectors" for fans very familiar with Trek. There are some funny moments, a couple got big laughs in my audience, but for the most part this is a serious movie that moves at a brisk clip.

Overall great work from the cast. Zachary Quinto stands out, sometimes to the point of out shining his cast mates.

Without giving anything away...and to do so is moronic...this film continues the universe Abrams created in the first film while offering a terrific, logical well built framework to link both 'old' and 'new' in brilliant fashion.

Highest recommendation. Not to be missed.
  23. May 20, 2013
    I dont quite understand why this movie isnt making that much money. It was actually one of the best action movies i had seen in a while. Story, graphics, acting...everything was very well done. I hope they keep the franchise going cause i cant wait to see another one.
  24. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Following the 2009 reboot of the Star Trek franchise, J.J. Abrams had a lot to live up to after it's success. But with the additions of Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller, Star Trek Into Darkness hits on all fronts. With Benedict Cumberbatch's startling performance as the infamous Star Trek villain, Khan, to the sensational visual effects and the flawless portrayal of emotions in this blockbuster sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness is still not without it's flaws. With the sudden and lackluster finale, and the at times drawn out storytelling, Star Trek Into Darkness is by no means a masterpiece but is still an event that very few moviegoers will miss out on. Expand
  25. Jun 2, 2013
    solid 8. very decent and watchable film, with some contemporary echoes and a ton of action. stands up well as a trek film or an action film. obviously were all in a different universe now, but hey its just one more frontier for our heroes.
  26. May 22, 2013
    Well can what can I say but damn good fun this movie was really good not a star trek fan but I enjoyed this and the first one JJ Abrams does a good job of giving these movie a polish over the originals and can I say Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing i would give the a 10 out of 10 very enjoyable but I would say not for everyone
  27. May 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let us first imagine that we are truly going where no one has gone before. That being the case, this movie took us to new places while still giving us something old to hang on to. That being said, there were some issues.

Spoilers start here:

Ok, the great mystery villain is Khan. Great anti-Kirk villain. However, those that remember the original series also know that Khan was found in deep space while on the 5 year mission aboard the Botany Bay. However you introduce him, Khan is Khan. Badass and take no prisoners.

Kirk on the other hand is all over the place. emo, angry and valiant in the end. The should-he-be-captain argument was well played in the first movie but lacked a bit of the same punch in this one.

Action was spot on fun. I decided to avoid the 3D as I am not a fan but I can imagine that this movie in 3D would sparkle. The story was a bit....incoherent at times such as the death of Kirk. Yes I said the death of Kirk. Which looking at the film might have truly been my biggest problem. Look, I have grown up around Star Trek and all the movies. Star Trek II TWoK is not to be blasphemed in the eyes of most true Trekkies. So what did JJ do? He turned around the entire scene and we replayed the final moments of that original and turned it around where Kirk dies instead of Spock. Spock screaming the infamous Shatner "Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan" somewhat missed the mark for me and the radiation damage done to Kirk's skin was not there compared to the makeup done for Spock. Speaking of Spock, the enjoyment of the original series was that Kirk was clever enough with the help of his crew to outwit any adversary. I did not care for Spock calling on his older self to seek answers on how to win. Seemed anti-climatic.

This movie was a coming of age movie for Kirk the character and starts the new 5 year mission. I am unsure on how JJ could top himself on a 3rd movie as ST2 was more than adequately robbed of material. But, there are good Trek stories still yet to be told.

I struggle with assigning a numeric rating to this movie because it really was a good movie minus the death of Kirk and the unoriginality of that entire scene. Even with that being said, I still very much liked the movie and I can understand the alternate timeline issues that make this series fresh.
  28. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Back in 2009, J.J. Abrams did something that seemed almost impossible. He took a long lost franchise (Star Trek) and rebooted it to not only make a movie for the fanboys, but to just make a good movie in general. He succeeded, and he made a great movie that both Trekkies and non Trekkies will enjoy all the same. Now in 2013, he has come out with the next installment and I will say this now, the first one was awesome...this one was incredible.
    Star Trek: Into Darkness took the franchise to a whole new level with its cool new dark twist on the series that I absolutely loved. It’s no longer pretty lights and comedic relief (although this one was funny), it’s about the darker part of the franchise and this one is dark. With this aspect I thought that it somehow even managed to overcome the first one. No, I know exactly how it’s better and I’ll tell you why.
    Have you ever heard of Benedict Cumberbatch? I sure haven’t, but now after this movie I’ll be searching for him. He was the actor that played the ominous and interesting John Harrison a.k.a. Kahn and he killed it. He elevated every scene he was in. The way he talked, the way he moved, and the way he stood was all so eerie and just plain cool. “Shall we begin?” AWESOME! The other actors did a good job, no Cumberbatch though. No, the other actors did great jobs, but they weren’t on Cumberbatches level for sure though. I thought that Zachary Quinto (Spock) did a better job in this one than the first one. He had a scene in there that actually got me choked up that I’ll talk about later.
    An aspect in this one that wasn’t in the first one was the element of surprise. I felt like the first Star Trek was bit predictable. It wasn’t really predictable, but it had that sense where you kind of knew where it was going. This one had nothing of the sort. There was this dark twist to the series that probably helped that aspect too. It added to the anxiety of the action sequences and just the movie in general. I was wondering was going to happen next.
    There was also that emotional depth that was in the first one back in this. It was more about family and what you would do for your family in this one. Kahn’s whole plan is to save his crew who are frozen in these torpedoes and he refers to his crew as his family and it really gives something for Kirk to build upon and same with Spock. The emotional resonance is deep too, there are layers. You end up feeling for the characters and there is this scene that gets me choked up and teary eyed. It’s where Kirk has saved the ship but with the consequence of dying of radiation poisoning and Spock is talking to him from the other side of this chamber. There is this story ark about Spock trying to feel and how he doesn’t choose to feel and this scene breaks him. Kirk is telling him how he’s scared and about how he feels of the situation and he asks him how he can choose to not feel and Spock says, “I don’t know.” Spock is crying and then Kirk puts his hand against the glass and Spock puts his up to it in his signature way and they’re crying, I’m crying. But then Kirk begins to separate his fingers into the same way Spock has his and it’s beautiful to say the least. Kirk dies and to end the scene with a bang, Spock takes his hand off the glass and screams, “KAHN!” It’s phenomenal how they did this and I loved every second of it.
    Star Trek: Into darkness is a dark and interesting installment to the franchise and is, in fact, better than the first. It has great directing, brilliant acting (Cumberbatch), phenomenal writing, and some truly thrilling action sequences. It digs deep with its emotional depth and really shoves the point across that you should do anything for your family with full force. Into darkness was brilliant and perfect, and if J.J. Abrams can reboot the Star Wars franchise like he did this one, I’ll believe that man can do anything.
  29. Nov 3, 2013
    Only few points for effects trekkies, please...
    This version is made for teenagers, and lost all StarTrek magic and science/peace mood.
    They dont even pretend they read physics book at first class...
  30. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To start off this review, I'd like to say that this Star Trek movie was much better and more interesting than the previous one. Not only that here the two hour length made much more sense (because the previous one was too long and boring). Spock was better written this time, he evolved and was even rather funny. CGwise the movie was also much much better. The bad guys here are Khan and the admiral, both portrayed briliantly. There are also many references to the first movies and TV-shows. The only cons are that Khan (in his fight with Spock) was much more honorable than anyone would be that whole fist-fight felt scripted and that there simply has to be an antagonist (this is becoming a cliché). There could simply be a movie with it's own plot. Expand
  31. May 17, 2013
    It's an obvious aspect of the film-making industry that many sequels just don't match up to the originals. J.J. Abrams and the cast of Star Trek: Into Darkness were able to avoid a slump in their sophomore follow-up, and that is impressive in its own right. However, the acting shines through, with truly emotional scenes between intense action sequences, and the film flows extremely well throughout.

J.J. Abrams choices of scenes and environments has always been a strong suit of his, one which he used to full effect in the first Star Trek in 2009. In "Into Darkness", the environments are used to great effect, from the opening scenes to the final shots in the credits.

The soundtrack is wonderful, making the viewer feel the emotions of the scenes. Of course, the theme is the highlight of them all.

The acting is wonderful. Without knowing that Benedict Cumberbatch was going to be in it, nor with the knowledge of the character he portrayed, I was impacted by his performance. Midway through the film his portrayal made me second guess myself every couple of minutes. The relationship between Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Kirk (Chris Pine) was masterfully done in both dialogue and the performance of said dialogue. Pine and Quinto's on-screen relationship is a wonder to see, creating layers and depth to Spock and Kirk's relationship. In addition, the rest of the cast is well acted again, a testament to how well each actor and actress fits into their role.

It was a great follow-up to the first Star Trek reboot, definitely worthy of continuing the series.
  32. May 19, 2013
    I'm a big Star Trek fan and to see this movie made me feel like I was in another world. The movie was great visually. The story line was interesting and left you on the edge of your seat. I personally was hoping for more in this movie especially with a longer appearance of the true Spock. After finishing the movie I was left with a "is that it" feeling. Personally I enjoyed this movie and wold recommend it to fan out there! Expand
  33. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very satisfied with the new Star Trek film--JJ Abrams has created an alternative world Star Trek that works well, and this film contains multiple nods to the original TV series and the previous films. I did catch one moment of Star Wars, a little voice in my head said "use the force, Jim", but all in all, the Star Trek curse is alive and well, this was Film #12 in the series. Will the whales return in the next incarnation or will we see the new Klingon war? I will be looking forward to the next film. Expand
  34. May 17, 2013
    I think this film is something for Trekkies and non-trekkies alike. Lots of references for the Trekkies (like me) to enjoy and lots of action and nice special effects for the rest as well :)

Can't wait for the next one which is supposed to come in 2016 afaik
  35. May 27, 2013
    I don't like Khan from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but I love the character Khan from Star Trek Into Darkness.
    He became my favorite new character. My favorite characters are The Joker, Patrick Bateman, Darth Vader, Artyom, Spock. I wanted to see cloaked human, and starfighter in new Star Trek and Star Wars. Like cloaked TIE interceptor from Star Wars: Rebel Assault II and Ghost from
    Star Craft Brood War. Expand
  36. May 18, 2013
    The reviews seem to reflect either a "love it" or "hate it" rating for this movie. Personally, I loved it and felt was even better than the first of these new installments, or "reboot". Great script and even greater acting. I must be getting soft--I never thought I get misty-eyed watching Star Trek, but I did watching a couple 'dramatic' scenes in this movie (e.g., the Pike-Kirk exchange in the bar and the Kirk-Spock exchange right before Kirk (Not gonna spoil it for you.)

Yet the question should be asked: Why such an extreme polarity in the reviews in terms of people either loving it or hating it? For all Star Trek fans like myself, it depends on how you interpret "reboot".

If you look at reboot as a replication of the same thing, i.e., of complete adherence to the original tv series in terms of plot line and character portrayal, then there will be plenty you could find to criticize. For example, you might hate the "new" Spock who exhibits much more 'humanity' and/or much more tension between his vulcan and human sides than Nimoy's original Spock ever did (or his Spock Prime for that matter).

However, if you look at "reboot" like a new 'retrograde' car (e.g., Mustang, Challenger, Camaro, etc.) which has fundamental styling elements easily identifiable/reminiscent of the original muscle car of the 60's while yet adding "new and improved" modernized touches which accentuate the look even more, then you like me will love the "new" Star Trek. You might even love the 'new' Spock, and may think the deeper, more complex portrayal of the character is even better than Nimoy's original (Yes, that is "heresy" to some for me to say, but so be it.) I'm not knocking the original Star Trek in any way. But this is arguably an improvement, not just technologically in terms of the cinematography (which no one can argue), but in terms of the acting as well, provided you get over any expectations of complete adherence to the original Star Trek, which is impossible to pull off just given the new actors trying to play old roles.
  37. May 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie getting 5.0 or less ratings is simply either the rantings of people who have no clue what good science fiction is or trekkies who were going to vote that way no matter what if this movie dared to re-imagine the greatest villain in Star Trek history. To the rest of America I would say that this movie represents the pinnacle of science fiction movies from plot to suspense to action to emotion. How many other science fiction movies will have viewers literally weeping in their seats. Fantastic special effects combined with great sound make this movie even more enjoyable in IMAX 3D. This movie is sure to only add to the legacy of J. J. Abrams and the Star Trek franchise and sets the bar almost insurmountably high for future sci-fi movies. Quite frankly, if Abrams can do this for Star Trek, it is almost unimaginable what he will accomplish with the Star Wars franchise. I think we can finally rest safely knowing that Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks are a thing of the past though we will certainly have more lens flare in our upcoming Star Wars VII.

Star Trek: Into Darkness is a thrilling spectacle that will keep you on the edge of your seats and appeal to viewers of all ages, genders and species!
  38. May 23, 2013
    This movie is brilliant. I don't know what else to say. Just go see it, trust me, you'll love it. Funny, smart and holy crap the villain is played by a brilliant actor you might recognize if you watch big shot British TV. Definitely got my bang for the buck.
  39. Jun 9, 2013
    Fun and entertaining sequel that is more intense and bolder than its predecessor. Cumberbatch's evil and menacing performance steals the show. -MN
  40. May 21, 2013
    In to darkness is n awesome movie going experience. The movie is full of twists and turns involving many of the characters including Kirk, Spock McCoy and others. The visual effects are no just there for people t gawk t, rather, they are part of the plot. I loved that ever actor was give his or her big moment on screen. I also loved that the actors get these iconic roles they are play, and that is no easy task, But, Chris Pine and company are up to the task and deliver big time. This is the first great blockbuster of the year. I will measure everything else against it Expand
  41. May 19, 2013
    Absolutely the first movie everyone must see this summer. Benedict Cumberbatch rides high along with the films visually breathtaking digital setpieces. An undertone of every characters impending death is present throughout the entire film, which may be the films greatest strength in the short run and greatest weakness in the long run.
  42. May 19, 2013
    Overall this a good film and likely worth seeing at a theatre. However I must say that it lacks in story and character development, and doesn't really give the actors a chance to act.

The movie starts off great! It shows this cool alien race on an M class planet and it really feels like Star Trek, however after that we go into a more casino royale style Kirk with big explosions etc
    (yawn). I think what made the first one so good was that it was about the life of Kirk and Star trek history, while this one was more or less just an action movie.

The editor included of a lot really cool and epic shots of spaceships and of Earth, however if that time was spent on explaining character motivations, it would have created a more coherent picture of the story than a CGI animation is capable of. I don't want to give spoilers away so I won't say more than that.
  43. May 19, 2013
    Amazing adventure movie, I am not regretting any seconds of it.

Once again another masterpiece (I was not in to startreck) I now love it amazing plot and story, loved the 3D version 1 word AMAZING!
  44. May 19, 2013
    Perfect summer movie and as good or even better than JJ's first foray into the rebooted Trek Universe. Cleverly rebuilding off the original series/movies. Great performances, scenery, action, plot, you name it. Good use of all available characters. Brought my 8 and 10 year old boys with me, and they insisted I add this review because they enjoyed it so much.

When is the third
    coming? And now I'm getting my hopes up for Star Wars 7-9. Expand
  45. May 19, 2013
    Action from start to finish. Really like how they tie in some of the original series into the film. There is no doubt there we be another Star Trek film after this one
  46. May 23, 2013
    Satisfaction. That was what swirled around me when the movie ended. Even after the lights flickered on and the credits began flashing on the screen, I barely noticed them. Satisfaction purged out of me in warp speed, and scenes in the movie danced in my mind. Finally, I realised why my friend had been raving about the movie, because I myself had a big mouthful of that sheer goodness.

I
    walked out of the theater with my mind reeling back to earlier scenes. I thought of the concrete character development, which enabled me to fully relate to the characters. It felt as if I had known them long ago. People might deem the relationship between Jim and Spock cheesy, but I say that's the type of relationship we humans are lacking in real life, where facades thrive.

On the way back home, I once again walked down the memories of the build up of the movie. A solid plot, a dashing, evil villain made sure the adrenaline stayed pumping through my veins. The twists and turns in the plot had stolen my breath in the movie, and now it was stealing my ability to concentrate in walking home.

During the movie, I found myself absorbed in the story throughout. One cunning villain was enough to send Starfleet into turmoil. Then came Admiral Marcus, who added to the confusion of who was really the villain. In the end, it came as a surprise that both of them were evil.

I reached home, tired yet happy. As i lay on my bed, a fleeting sense of fuzziness came over me. Thanks J.J.Abram, I thought. Thanks for letting me know some awesome and wonderful people. I closed my eyes-I would need to sleep early. Tomorrow, I would have to go back to join Captain Kirk and Spock in another adventure. I would return to the theater and Star Trek Into Darkness-to boldly go where no man has gone before.
  47. Aug 20, 2013
    Director J.J. Abrams may have taken a bit too long to release the second installment to his rebooted franchise, but it was worth the wait, as ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ was just as fantastic as its predecessor. All the cast members are back in this Star Trek sequel; and with the main characters already developed, the writers spend much of their time evolving the Kirk-Spock dynamic and introducing the new baddie to the scene. When a member of Star Fleet goes rogue and carries out a series of attacks on the Organization, Kirk is charged with conducting an intergalactic manhunt for the terrorist. However, the deeper he goes the more he discovers the true nature of our terrorist and the true shades of Star Fleet. From its high stakes beginning to its higher stakes end, absolutely no time was wasted in the progression of the story, in fact there was very little time for air. Abrams move from set piece to set piece swiftly; and plot layers, gave way to more plot layers and propulsive action scenes. While this may seem scary in writing, the movie flowed smoothly, and the delightful characters remained central. To be honest, what makes ‘Star Trek into Darkness’ such a solid sci-fi action movie wasn't the plethora of visual effects and action scenes; it was the characters at the center of it. A character-driven movie is always more appealing than an effects-driven one and this movie was arguably more of the former. Initially, I questioned the casting choice of Benedict Cumberbatch, but there’s no denying the strength of his performance as our duplicitous new villain. The Wrath of Fans should probably be at ease. I must admit, filmmakers could have paused and explore some of the thematic ideas of this sci-fi adventure a bit further; but that’s a fairly minor complaint for a summer blockbuster this smart and entertaining. Expand
  48. May 23, 2013
    'STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' is an absolutely brilliant space-adventure movie. Just as good, if not, better than the first.

Surprisingly for a summer blockbuster, the plot holds up very well to scrutiny, containing little to no plot holes (unlike the 2009 film). The script contains some very strong, resonant themes like friendship, family and loss, which are amazingly brought forth through
    great writing, directing and acting.

The acting by all the cast is excellent, especially by the villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch. The main crew from the first film are all quite excellent especially Chris Pine as Captain Kirk. Also, newcomer Alice Eve is surprisingly good playing a new crew member.

The action is perfectly paced and contains some of the most thrilling sequences I've seen for a long time in a sci-fi movie.

The sound effects are top notch and the music score is awe inspiring.

Overall, STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS is a great sci-fi roller-coaster ride of imagination, immersion, darkness, thrill and adventure. A must see.

49. May 25, 2013
    STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Star Trek Into Darkness is J.J. Abrams' second installment into the reboot of the Star Trek series. It stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Zoe Saldana. In this film, the crew of the Enterprise embarks on a mission to track down a terrorist after a massive attack on Star Fleet. This film is amazing! It's non-stop action from start to end. Any brief lulls were filled with comedy and insights adding to the depth of the characters.

The acting was great. I really like Chris Pines as the young Captain Kirk, Zachary Quinto is great as Spock, but Benedict Cumberbatch takes the cake as the terrorist. He's a great actor and really added a lot to this film.

The visual and special effects were fantastic and although, I don't think one would necessarily need to see this movie in 3D to enjoy it, I'd recommend it. I was simply blown away by how much fun I had watching this movie.

I enjoyed J.J. Abrams' first Star Trek quite a bit, but in my opinion, this one topped it.

Everyone will like this movie. Just go see it!
    My grade for this film: A

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  50. May 24, 2013
    Great Villain, but I could of used a little bit more humor then the non stop gloom. The non stop action is great, but this movie seems like its trying very hard to be just like the dark knight. The villain and action are enough to warrant a ticket purchase. The 3-D was good, but not as good as iron mans. Overall can't really complain about much besides the fact it isn't as good as the original.
  51. May 24, 2013
    With Star Trek: Into Darkness, J.J. Abrams manages to re-imagine and re-invigorate an entire cast of characters while upgrading an epic story with spectacular effects and compelling modern-day allegories. He carefully adapts the narrative to the uncertain moral tenor of our times (fighting terrorism vs protecting human rights), while paying deference to the villains from the 1960s Cold War era that birthed the whole enterprise (grin).

Unfortunately, what’s been lost in translation has been the rich character struggles of yesterday whether the original Spock’s long journey from self-sacrifice, rebirth, and evolution into wise statesman (and dear friend) or Data’s many years of transcending his robotic limitations to discover, explore, shun, and ultimately embrace emotion (albeit with a microchip regulator). There are memorable moments of character development in the Star Trek reboot, but they’re mostly bite-sized nuggets made for 10 second TV spots, tightly squeezed between high-octane special effects sequences.

All of this is to be expected. Big budget action flicks are as competitive as ever, and so, the pleasant niceties of complex, empathetic characters are often first to be sacrificed. It’s just very hard for me to feel the same passion or gravitas as when Spock said to James T. Kirk: “Jim, I have always been, and always will be your friend,” or even when Data reacts joyfully to hearing from his creator that he is “Not less perfect than Lore!”

Still, my central beef with this film is far deeper, and admittedly, totally unfair to the franchise. For the Star Trek narrative or rather, its “neo-religion” of progressive technological progress is shared almost universally by sci-fi authors, movie producers, and storytellers the world over. At its core, it’s a vision of increasing energy use, increasing human ease, and increasing mobility not just around our beautiful blue orb, but across our solar system, galaxy, and beyond.

Accustomed as we humans (or at least we industrial humans) have become to cheap and abundant energy and the ceaseless introduction of new consumer goods and whiz-bang techno-gadgets it seems only natural that the destiny of humankind is to one day transcend this earthly realm, and spread the gospel of material progress to the stars, does it not?

It does not.

Lurking behind the cover story of terrorism and modern unease is an even more troubling development: the endgame of fossil-fueled civilization, and hence, the end of space travel.

Sound absurd? Not really.

Let’s take a moment to piece together the evidence: the desperate rush of invasions by powerful nations into the last remaining oil- and gas-rich territories (Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria, to name only a few); mounting unrest and revolutions in those same regions as energy and food costs rise; the mad scramble by energy corporations into remote regions (deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and the Arctic and highly polluting extraction from Canada’s “tar sands”); “like there’s no tomorrow” wealth grabs and tax cuts by the elite as joblessness, poverty, and inequality grows; and the increasing ferocity of global warming super-charged tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, and typhoons not to mention the attendant global risks to food security, water availability, and seaside populations that climate change represents.

The scaffolding of industrial civilization is starting to show some serious fractures, and no replacement energy sources or technological miracles are ready-and-waiting to save it. If the good folks at the Association for the Study of Peak Oil are even close to being right in their prediction that we’ll soon have to live with less and less overall energy to conduct the activities of modern life, then we’d better stop dreaming of star treks and start coming back to Earth.

That one-time energy bank beneath the earth’s surface that fossilized millions of years ago isn’t coming back. We’ve used most of it already, to power our vehicles, light up our cities, and yes, take us beyond the confines of our planet. But now, faced with the coming end of that generous endowment, we must finally make peace with our own homeworld and one another.

In some ways, the realization that our species will not travel the stars is very sad. We humans are brilliant, creative, and capable of profound love. We’ll simply have to wait for other species with greater resources to find us, and hope that they too, had conceived of some “prime directive” which forbids them from interfering in other worlds at least not until we’re ready.

In other ways, the fact that we’re finally bumping up against ecological and energy limits is of great relief. Perhaps the worst-case scenarios of climate chaos may simply not be possible. At long last, we shall have to reconnect with our own planet.

Perhaps Abrams could call the movie Earth Trek: The Journey Home.
  52. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. well, finally had a chance to watch this movie, after little bit effort and probably the last day before all the cinema in da town flooded with fast 6, I aint no Trek Freak, but always love scifi movies, ST is apure entertaiment movie, with good effect and all that stuff, the story? hm.. well.. just cliche conspiracy on high order, but with little twist and turn.. yeah its a good movie on saturday night.. which is OK. Expand
  53. May 25, 2013
    It's difficult for me to find a movie I can't criticize in any way. Today I watched one of the fews. I expected a lot, because I love the Star Trek series and movies and I got even more than what I expected. I think Abrams is a genius and it's incredible how he managed to permate all the movie with pure star trek essence. The chracters are perfect. Pace is perfect. Dialogues are great.
    The funny moments are perfect in terms of timing and being funny but not silly or stupid.
    And perfectly similar to those in the original series.
    Visual effects, photography, lights are perfect.
    I could not vote less than 10 for this movie because I really can't think of a flaw... if not that it ended.
  54. May 25, 2013
    I had high expectations since the last Star Trek. I wasn't disappointed. Although I did think they could have done something different here and there, I really enjoyed what J.J. Abrams brought to theaters and can't wait for Star Trek 3!
  55. May 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second installment of the Star Trek reboot was worth the 4 year wait. As a life long Trek fan, it's just nice to have Star Trek in the main stream again. Trekkies need to understand, take this movie for what it is and you are not the film's targeted audience. No one is expecting you to love Chris Pine more than William Shatner, they're two very different Kirks. Benedict Cumberbatch is fantastic as Kahn, and plays it with his Sherlock charisma minus the Watson conscience. The plot is very crisp and the movie has a much more brisk pace than you'd expect from a 2.5 hour movie. In fact, by the end of the film, I didn't even realize it was over 2 hours. This movie is not Wrath of Kahn, though it does have some Wrath of Kahn elements in it. In this movie, due to the timeline shift of the 2009 movie, JJ Abrams and company have the arduous task of providing a Kahn movie minus the effective TV show background. In this timeline, Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise have never encountered Kahn and thus the story has to both explain his arrival and provide a healthy dose of Kahn vengeance.

Some good changes are done to make the story feel fresh to Trekkies: The rogue Admiral to explain Kahn's unhappiness with the Federation was done well. Carol Marcus is a thousand times hotter in this movie than in the TV series and the Wrath of Kahn original.

Some changes are not as good but acceptable: The magic blood in place of the Genesis device. The Kirk/Spock flip flop.

The special effects are incredible and the movie ensures everyone is given a good amount of screen time. Watching Spock get to let loose on a villain that could take it was a lot of fun and easily my favorite part of the film. Anyone notice that this Kirk gets his ass kicked a lot?

The best part of the movie might be the ending though. The "traditional Trek" has seemingly been forgotten and the ending sets the 3rd movie up nicely for a traditional type of Trek tale. The crew finally leaves on its 5 year mission in space and without the Federation backdrop, the 3rd movie might be the first to embrace its Star Trek space opera, exploration type of story. Regardless, it doesn't appear Abrams will be directing the 3rd movie as he'll be busy with another geeky fanboy space franchise Star Wars. See if you can pinpoint the moment in this movie where you can picture the Millenium Falcon speeding through the Death Star.

In the end Star Trek into Darkness is a fun, action packed Science Fiction movie that is both enjoyable for newbies and Trekkies alike. The movie takes a lot of criticism from Trekkies for approaching the sacred Kahn legacy, however, it is done very well and the movie is well written. Definitely a high octane movie with rewatchability and should be considered one of the best Trek movies ever.
  56. May 27, 2013
    Loved this movie went to see it with my uncle and aunt. I actually had never seen the first one and have never been a star trek fan really but I was impressed. I absolutely loved Kahn he was the best character out of everyone.
  57. May 28, 2013
    Though I am not a trek fan, this movie did entertain me a but. I did not have a bad time, or felt like I wasted my time, but I was not interested much and was okay with the ride for more of the laughs then the dramatics.
  58. Jun 12, 2013
    This movei did exactly what I wanted it to do. It entertained me for the duration of the whole movie. By no means was this move great, but it wasn't bad ether. If you are looking for an action thriller that will keep you entertained for its duration then here you go.
  59. Feb 3, 2014
    很爽快的黑暗系科幻大作,视听效果在IMAX3D屏幕中达到最大化,3D效果激赞,角色很多但每个角色都有其独特的人格和思维,整个电影节奏流畅,几场大战惊险刺激,配乐激赞。
  60. Jun 9, 2013
    This truly is one of THE best movies i watched in last decade! I'm really glad that sci fi genre is getting more and more attention, better and better stories! I was a fan of old Star Trek as well but honestly i'm fan of sci fi genre first... New Star Trek has a lot more then just superb CGI new cast is fantastic! I like that they are creating all new parallel universe of Star Trek it's darker it's better... more thought has been put in new stories! Human imagination has no limits and thanks to better and better effects imagination is little closer to reality! We all like to get lost in some imaginary world to have fun..

After projection was over i was like WOW! I watched it in 3D and i must say it is best 3D out there!

MUST SEE!
  61. Jun 4, 2013
    Never been a treekie but I have enjoyed the reboot of the series. I liked the acting and loved the visuals, my favorite thing is definitely the villain (haven’t seen Star Trek 2: The wrath of Khan). Yes, it’s a little predictable but everything else makes up for that.
  62. Jun 4, 2013
    I guess first I should say that when I go to a movie I do not go to watch reality or to find holes in plots. I go to be entertained and escape. When the physically impossible happens I laugh and enjoy the heck out of it. I have read so many reviews that complain about how this or that couldn't happen. I get tired of it. A movie is to enjoy the escape and take the ride. This movie I thought delivered in an exceptional way. My son and I went to star trek into darkness tonight. All I have to say is awesome. I have been a star trek fan since the original series; yes I am that old. I enjoyed the next generation some but have not really liked or much watched other spin offs. I have seen all the movies. This one is a home run in my book! Except for the ones with the original cast this one is the most "star trek" of the movies. I thought each of the main characters caught the essence of the characters beautifully. I think the update on uhura's character was great and fitting for the times. Spock and Mcoy were played with absolute brilliance, but they were all so very good. I thought the tension and balance between characters was perfect. Kahn was the perfect villan in every respect. Few could do such a good job with Kahn. The lines and scenes with a nod to the original were beautifully woven in and not overplayed. I though the previous movie was a bit overplayed and trying to force the star trek personal a bit. I always like to see the original spock but I did not think his cameo was particularly beneficial to the movie nor did it make it more star trek like. I think with this cast the next generation is truly ready to assume the mantle and take us where no man has gone before in true star trek style Expand
  63. Jun 5, 2013
    I'm trying something a bit different to the other reviewers out there: a pithy review a doodle! I've got a few up so far, including one of STID:

http://sketchy-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/new-release-review-star- trek-into.html

Thoughts/ruminations/random (ideally uncouth) comments, are more than welcome.
  64. Jun 5, 2013
    Yet another contribution to J.J. Abrams near flawless collection of films. From a massively horrifying villain to spectacular special effects "Star Trek Into Darkness" delivers. No questions asked. Just #seeit
  65. Jun 5, 2013
    The pacing in this movie is so damn fast it's almost impossible too follow. Other than that...... Into Darkness is very good movie with a few odd desicions. Why do they only go on two planets?
  66. Jun 6, 2013
    J.J. Abrams and the crew of The Enterprise return for Star Trek Into Darkness, the sequel to the surprisingly successful 2009 reboot that silenced Trekkie naysayers the world over. J.J. Abrams continues to surprise by accomplishing something rarely achieved in film franchises… creating a sequel that is better than the original. The success of the first film was largely thanks to the spot-on casting of familiar characters developed over 11 films and four television series; specifically Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, respectively. The same is true of the latest installment which keeps the spirit of these beloved characters alive while taking some clever liberties that cement Star Trek Into Darkness as the greatest blockbuster of the year thus far.

Star Trek Into Darkness starts off on a distant planet whose inhabitants are at risk of an active volcano that could wipe out the entire primitive civilization. It is up to the crew of the Enterprise to lay the volcano to rest while going unnoticed by the indigenous population (per a Starfleet mandate that Spock is only too happy to continuously remind Kirk about). Captain Kirk and Bones (Karl Urban) distract the native people in a mad dash that sets the pace for the film and makes the most of the vivid CGI and 3D technology, while Spock is lowered into the volcano to activate a device that will render the volcano inert. Inevitably the plan fails and Spock is trapped in the belly of the volcano causing Kirk to violate the mandate, despite the ever-logical thinking Spock’s insistence on sacrificing himself for the greater good.

No good deed goes unpunished as Captain Kirk loses command of the Enterprise, becoming First Mate under Admiral Pike (Bruce Greenwood), while Commander Spock gets reassigned as a result of Kirk’s reckless behavior and inability to take responsibility for his actions. While still brooding over his demotion, a bomb goes off at Starfleet’s main archives in London. Kirk and the rest of the crew, including Spock, Bones, Uhura (Zoe Saldana), Sulu (John Cho), Scotty (Simon Pegg), Checkov (Anton Yelchin), and a sexy stowaway (Alice Eve) are back onboard the Enterprise and off to kill the man responsible for the attack against the archives. The man responsible being none other than Starfleet agent John Harrison played by a brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch, whose onscreen presence threatens to steal the spotlight from the rest of the cast.

The Enterprise is in a race against the clock to track down and eliminate Harrison that has them bouncing from London to Kronos, the home world of the Klingons, and galaxies in-between at warp speed. Enraged by Harrison’s wanton betrayal, Captain Kirk is an emotional mess whose desperation to kill the Harrison is palpable, despite the rest of the crew’s reluctance to kill Harrison without a fair trial. It is here that Star Trek Into Darkness finds its major theme hinted at in the opening sequence of the film how do our feelings affect the choices we make, specifically in the gray area where the line of right and wrong is blurred? To remain as free of spoilers as possible I will simply say that the manhunt for Harrison offers the opportunity for some fun-filled action sequences that pit Kirk and Spock against Harrison, whose super-human strength and intellect prove to be more than a match for the duo.

The film rings true to J.J. Abrams fashion with its fair share of lens flares and twists that will have you guessing and second-guessing what will happen next. The members of the supporting cast aid Star Trek into Darkness with romance and comedic relief; Scotty’s quips and wit bring ease to the intense film, and Uhura, in the midst of a lover’s quarrel with Spock, provides a heartfelt edge to the blockbuster. Characters such as Chekov and Sulu, who saw major roles in the first film, take a back seat to the emergence of new characters and the heart-pounding performances of the Star Trek franchise’s main characters. Writing credits go to Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon Lindelof who manage to deliver a fresh film that pays homage to the original series. Star Trek Into Darkness is a triumphant blockbuster that offers more than its predecessor more action, more laughs, and more heart.
  67. Jun 6, 2013
    If you liked the first Star Trek reboot you will want to see this one too based on just that you should see it. Star Trek Into Darkness was an excellent movie with plenty of action and Treky in it. This movie had excellent acting, A great story, and plenty of plot twist to keep you holding on to the edge of your seat entertained. I was never a Star Trek fan but then i saw the reboot and I had anticipated this one thinking Mr. Abrams would deliver and boy did he. overall if you saw the reboot of Star trek and liked it then defiantly give this one a shot, though i can not speak from a true Treky stand point because i have not seen the old show's or movie's. In my opinion this one is a bit better then the reboot. Check it out. Expand
  68. Jun 7, 2013
    When I walked into 2009's Star Trek I'd never seen anything prior that had anything to do with the beloved television series and the several movies it spawned. I grew up a child of the 90's and was first introduced to Star Wars and simply stuck with it as by that point Trek had grown into the Patrick Stewart/Next Generation series that was by all accounts, beyond me. Still, walking into J.J. Abrams re-booted take on the Trek franchise with no idea what to expect, no pre-conceived notions of the characters, or any idea what the story might revolve around I was pleasantly surprised to learn how accessible it was and how much I enjoyed it. I didn't know if the original series had ever taken the time to tell the origins of the crew that made up the Enterprise but I assumed if they had it was not to the depth this film did. That due to this it would be extremely exciting for fans of the original series to be able to see some of their favorite characters in the younger stages of their lives and for those that were new to the world it would serve as a fitting introduction to everyone. Between that film and the now second installment in Abrams series, Star Trek Into Darkness, I still have yet to dig into anything more that exists in the Star Trek canon. In many ways it simply feels like too daunting a task to try and catch up on nearly fifty years of material while on the other hand I wanted to be able to experience these films made in my day and age as fresh experiences with no notion of what should happen and why, but instead a willingness to see where these new adventures take us and maybe catch up on the backstory sometime down the road where it will be just as fascinating for me to see where these characters eventually go as it was for long time fans to see where they came from. So, this is not a review from a guy who caught all of the references or understood all of the inside jokes that likely took place, but instead I offer the point of view of someone who very much enjoyed the 2009 film and was eagerly awaiting (and hoping) the sequel would follow the series' main proclamation of going boldly where no man has gone before.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  69. Jun 7, 2013
    For a Trek fan like myself it was one of my favorite movies of all time. I noticed it was a remake of star trek 2 the wrath of khan. It had great action, great special effects and a amazing story line. They should make more movies like this for example. The movie was so amazing that it had me clapping in the movie theater. Its an exciting movie for all star trek fans and non star trek fans. J.J Abrams did a fantastic job on this film. (Much better than the wrath of khan) Expand
  70. Aug 28, 2013
    This film is epic. It's even better than the first film. If you even liked a little the first movie you will love that sequel. It has epic action and moments right from the first scene and it has so much suspense that everyone will love that movie. It's just what epic means in movies. The special effects are excellent as well as the sound that sounded extremely good. Director J.J.Abrams made a great work again though I dont really understand what's all with that sparkles in his movies which were at some points a bit annoying. Despite that little fact that doesn't really matter the film is epic and it surely is a must-watch. Expand
  71. Jun 10, 2013
    A visually splendid and action-packed sequel. Worth the 3D price. Chris Pine and Zachary Pinto are good as leads once again but who stole the show was Benedict Cumberbatch as the menacing Khan.
  72. Jun 12, 2013
    Very good, but so much stupid, non-sensical stuff in the last 45 minutes, it gets kind of stupid. Lots of great references to the early films as well.
  73. Jun 12, 2013
    I absolutely loved it!! Strong character development, a flowing storyline, and pretty much non-stop action!!

Allthough, like its predecessor it moves away from the original Star Trek feel, it is brilliant nonetheless. I enjoyed the old Trek movies, but was never a huge fan due to the lack of action in them. (Yes I'm a Star Wars fan :p )

The last 2 Trek movies were truly enjoyable,
    and I can't wait for the next one!!! Expand
  74. Jun 11, 2013
    Making good casting choices pays off as the latest installment of Star Trek continues to build upon the fantastic release of three years ago.

The key to all great Star Wars movies is the villain and Cumberbatch does a fantastic job. Jim and his crew continue to expand the writing easily sets up the sequel with the first 30 minutes of the movie.

The narrative is eerily similar to a
    past release but not so much as it gives it just enough room to move ahead and give it most likely a more probable conclusion then its predecessor. Expand
  75. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. J.J. Abrams's first Star Trek picture managed to take the familiar characters that die hard fans have relished for decades and bring them back to life with greatness, as well as present a new twist in the Star Trek universe that is creative and refreshing. With Star Trek Into Darkness, can Abrams and his team of writers make a sequel that is good, perhaps even better than its predecessor? The answer from this movie is yes. This success is not necessarily just from the reappearance of all the characters from the previous film. Nor is it even the photo-realistic visual effects and action sequences. Rather, it is revealed from its clever story and one of the best Star Trek villains ever brought back to the big screen...Kahn.

The film picks up a year after the events from the prequel. Kirk has botched a mission and is demoted from his position as captain. When a series of events follow suit, including mass destruction and death of a close friend, Kirk is put back in the captain's chair and sent on a mission to capture Kahn, the man responsible. But like with all J.J. Abram films and TV shows, there is more to it than you would ever anticipate. What is so good about this Stark Trek, is that it is quite unpredictable. Characters die sudden and unexpectedly. The story makes twist and turns, elements that are enough to put me on the edge of my seat at times. There is never a dull moment in this film. What is also so good is the amount of references tied into other Stark Trek films. Not trying to give much away, but there is a scene re-adapted more or less from "Wrath of Kahn." It is a beautiful and poignant scene that many past Star Trek fans will find amusing and touching.

English actor Benedict Cumberbatch takes the mantle as Kahn. For those of you who remember Ricardo Montalban in Wrath of Kahn, an old man with bad make up and a fake chest and biceps, well, Kahn is now not like this anymore. His intelligence and strength are strong enough to make him more than a formidable enemy for Kirk and the Starship Enterprise's crew. His performance, loaded with blank facial expressions and lifeless eyes almost remind me of a young Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lector. It would be interesting to see the two play a game of chess.

J.J. Abrams has out done himself again with his new installment of his Star Trek series. It is blockbuster success in terms of fun, entertainment, action, humor, story, and above all a great villain. You can't go wrong in seeing "Star Trek Into Darkness."
  76. Jun 12, 2013
    Great movie, love the cast minus Karl Urban. Benedict Cumberbatch is amazing as the new villain! I love the relationship between Spock and Kirk. It was funny, sweet, intense at times and overall entertaining!
  77. Jun 12, 2013
    There is really nothing much to say about "Star Trek Into Darkness", It's a really great film! One of the films I've enjoyed so far this summer. The end would've have been a bit better then what it was. It would have been a bit dramatic just a bit. Overall a 9 out of a 10. A must see film!
  78. Jun 14, 2013
    In short, this movie is awesome. Fun pacing and the chemistry between the actors is excellent. If you love a good bro-mance then get ready! As long as you are not a "die hard treky" you will enjoy this movie. If you can handle the fact this is a different universe than skip it.
  79. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a thoroughly enjoyable movie. The cast has some obvious chemistry and Abrams knows what this movie truly is. I will say that I thought the first movie was better, but this installment is no slouch. The chemistry of the actors brings good humor even in the midst of thrilling action. The graphics are first rate. The story is as much as you should expect from Star Trek.
  80. Jun 20, 2013
    A thrilling sequel to Abram's Reboot, this movie is showing a lot of charismatic actors, good performances and a solid storytelling.

What this movie showed with great succes is the retelling of a story all great fans already knew: Abrams was able to amaze and surprise the audience even when they thought to already have seen it coming!
  81. Jun 17, 2013
    I personally liked this movie, although I had a few problems with it, the main one being that James T. Kirk is an awful, awful character. And I really hated how at the beginning after he breaks protocol, they give him a second chance even though he did nothing to earn one. Although that's mainly just a pet peeve of mine.
  82. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I Never Liked Star Wars Kind of films. But after Watching Star Trek in 2009. My Interest grew to this franchise. And from that very moment i waited from the second installment of Star Trek. Finally after 4 years of waiting, Finally comes INTO DARKNESS. Saw the Movie very First day and i wasn't Disappointed, not at all. But This Edition of the film Made me fan of J.J.Abrams. Truly An Awesome Movie with ultimate Action Episodes And excellent CG work. Truly Amazing. Now Waiting For J.J.Abrams next Movie STAR WARS EPISODE VII. Expand
  83. Jun 16, 2013
    the film as a whole is greater than the the first movie
    and the film is aptly named "into darkness"
    Benedict Cumberbatch has a certain charisma which also carry the film
  84. Jun 17, 2013
    Mind-blowing, action packed, smart, heartbreaking moments, menacing, and funny. Some great acting by the cast. A great antagonist. A thoroughly fantastic film!
  85. Jun 18, 2013
    How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
    ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the modern day star trek franchise starring Chris Pine, Benedict Cumberbatch, and is directed by J.J Abrams. In this film we follow the continuing adventures of the U.S.S Enterprise and the crew that inhabits it.
    The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as
    well. The film opens and we get to witness first glance what kind of excitement these people go through. This film also stretches the bounds of Spock and Kirk’s friendship, putting them through tests that could be the difference of life and death. Quinto’s Spock finds trouble understanding the meaning of true friendship because he (like all vulcan) cannot help but think on more of a logical scale. Throughout the course of the movie he must struggle to channel his human half.
    That’s also not to say the other character’s are without conflicts. Kirk must deal with his superiors orders as he is a loose cannon when it comes to following the rules. Zoë Saldana’s character must deal with her relationship with Spock, and Cumberbatch’s character terrorizes the entire federation with his evil plan.
    Speaking of which, Cumberbatch plays his role to a tooth. Not only providing the film with a good villain, but a very memorable antagonist for the entire star trek franchise. The way he slowly explains himself while remaining obscure until the very end makes him beyond interesting.
    The communication between he and kirk at points was the most interesting parts of the film. However, the visuals are something to be noticed as well. They are top notch and stimulating. Something the star trek franchise has always been known for having.
    If there are any gripes, I would say that (while not being a long time fan) I noticed that much of the lore has been tweaked and the traditional star trek format has been replaced with more of an action based genre. However, many sci-fi elements still remain and most of all I have to become aware that this is Abrams’ timeline. While the original timeline did happen, this one is still good even with some changes and they are not something that is very bothersome. The only real bothersome thing I did find was a lazy moment in the script at the end. While I did enjoy the twist in roles of two characters, I didn’t like the sudden abrupt climax. I felt that it could have been concluded smoother. It felt as if they ran out of time and had to put the end together in a matter of hours.
    Other than that, I found that this new trek improved much on some faults the first had (like the villain) while also providing new ideas that contrasted with old ones. New Trek is more than a summer movie, and it’s not so much a fan only film.
  86. Jun 18, 2013
    Star Trek is perfectly depicted once again. A trekkie,I am very proud of the most recent realeases in the Trek franchise. It not only uses the average big budget expectations but also suits to the needs of a Trek die-hard. Though i felt it took a little long for this film to come together (which definitley hurt it at the box office) it showed to be worth the wait. And this film isn't as unique as Star Trek (2009) i felt it was still great. The reason i say it wasn't as unique, was it felt similar to that of Star Trek, (which it should a little) and should've taken a bigger risk with Khan. The Wrath of Khan was one of Star Treks best films, and i feel J.J should've tried harder with the character. I also feel alot of big budget sequels are trying to create Joker-esque (Heath Ledgers potrayal) scenarios with villains, and i need something new. All in All great film, and great Star Trek film. 9/10 Excellent. Expand
  87. Jun 23, 2013
    Star Trek into darkness is a great movie a great movie and a worthy remake of the wrath of Khan!!!!!!!!! And if you didn't like this movie go yourself
  88. Jun 20, 2013
    This movie has many good things going for it, great special effects, and a storyline that definitely holds up. Sadly though, it's falls terribly short with the acting. There are scenes where the acting is so forced, scenes that are meant to be deeply dramatic but they come off as cheesy and awkward. Another criticism (one it shares with many hollywood films these days) is once the action has started it just doesn't stop. Fast shots, expositions, chases, dramatic music. Watching a movie these days is pretty full-on. And what happened to suspense? Look at the first Alien movie, you see an alien for the first time half way through the movie, and by the end you've only seen it about 5 times, but it's still an amazing movie, the suspense it creates is amazing. One of the great directors of the past (I forget his name) one said "suspense is when the time-bomb under the table doesn't go off''. I think many of the contemporary screenwriters and directors should consider the concept and art of creating suspense, it's much more challenging to grab your audience without the action overkill of modern-day films... (I'm 28 so this is not coming from senile irritation) Expand
  89. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is probably one of the greatest movies I have seen this year. The beginning of this movie starts out with action already as we see Bones and Kirk try to stop a volcano from destroying a civilization. All the actors did great and a lot of the humor they add in this movie is pretty funny. What caught me the most was the performance by Benedict Cumberbatch who played Khan. He really sold Khan well especially in the fighting scenes and dialogue. The real Khan was a cold blooded former Star Fleet pilot who was genetically engineered to be "better" than other crew members and that's just what Benedict was in this movie. The overall story was really good as it introduced Khan and his own back story. It also told a good story on how Captain Kirk went from a young and captain, to a unselfish and courageous one. My favorite part was when Spock was finally able to feel emotion when Kirk was about to die. Overall this movie was excellent and I hope they make a sequel just as good as this movie or even better!
    Overall: 9/10
  90. Jun 22, 2013
    I'm by no means a Star Trek fan. The only Star Trek I've seen it the 2009 one and Wrath of Khan which I both enjoyed a fair bit. This movie is fast, gorgeous, and slick, but also loud and dumb. And the more you think about it, the more you realize how loud and dumb it is. I wish there were some more cerebral moments, oh well. It has good performances all around with some of the dialogue being great and some being cheesy. I liked Spock and Kirk a lot, and the villain starts out good, too, but then warp drives into a cliche, cheesy mess. What a waste of potential. And the ending was terrible as you knew exactly what was going to happen. But it was never boring, it had some pretty cool moments, it had something to actually about terrorism, and it was entertaining Expand
  91. Jun 24, 2013
    I am a huge Trek fan, like many of the people reviewing here.
    I needless to say- I loved the 2009 Star Trek and it's emergence into a new and alternate universe. But this, I felt was weaker than its predecessor. While still strong and an overall very good movie, I had a small complaint about character development.
    Aside from that, this movie was excellent- and I've seen it three times
    since its release and enjoyed it thoroughly each time. Worth every penny spent. Expand
  92. Jun 25, 2013
    What i really dig about star trek are time travel alternative timelines, i thought a better actor could have played khan since the original actor was spanish and this guy looks pommy. I would have liked to have seen it in 3D because space and planets look great in 3d on the big screen, but i didn't cause sometimes the novelty of 3d detracts for me. As a star trek movie it sits up there but not a top effort. Expand
  93. Dec 2, 2013
    The direction and visual effects are very good, the villain is sinister and makes you wonder what he plans to do. However, the second half is worse than the first and the movie fails to deliver what you expect: there is no star trek (the Enterprise is immobilized for a long time) and no darkness (no one dies and some secondary characters function as comic reliefs). Moreover, the villain is defeated in a silly way (he should have checked the cargo), the Klingons appear only to have their butts kicked and Kirk is missing from the climax, as if the writers could not decide who the protagonist is, him or robotic Spock.
    argonautis.eu
  94. Jun 29, 2013
    Simply amazing and epic, Star Trek Into Darkness was a worth-penny viewing in big-screens movie. It was a complex movie but yet J.J Abrams come up a solution to make it very watchable and understandable. I never knew Star Trek movie for sure before I watch this one. But after I watch the this second sequel, I come to in love with this 'Star Trek' Sequel. This movie was one epic movies.
  95. Jun 30, 2013
    Better acting, better action, better effects make this better than previous Star Trek movies. A fitting sequel to the 2009 reboot and a big improvement to what now seem to be the quaint and increasingly silly movies, especially that heap about saving whales. Next I want to see some strange new worlds, enough of earth.
  96. Jul 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hugely entertaining, and a blast if you're a Star Trek fan. It's biggest disappointment is that it's doesn't have that much surprises, and echoes it's predecessor in terms of action and relies heavily on crowdpleasing moments. for my full review go to:http://startrekintodarknessmoviereview.blogspot.nl/ Expand
  97. Jul 5, 2013
    This movie goes from a 7 to an 8 for me based on how they handled such an iconic Star Trek moment. A moment so classic that many people feel the key line between Spock and Kirk came from a great philosopher rather than a brilliant script writer (I admit...I did too until I looked it up). After I got over the incredulity that they were really going to deviate from the original...I had to admit to myself that it was the only way the fan-girl in me would have been accepting of that scene. For me, it made up for the plot "cheat" at the end. Expand
  98. Jul 10, 2013
    As someone that watched the original series and ST: TNG more times that I can admit, I love these new movies. This second installment is very, very good. I enjoyed seeing Peter Weller do a turn as an admiral. Story isn't as strong as it was for the first, but still decent, and the acting is again superb. I don't think I can ever tire of seeing Chris Pine go from anguish to calm in under 30 seconds. Benedict Cumberbatch was a wonderful new Khan, even if he's British and much younger than Ricardo. Changes from Wrath of Khan like this did not take away from the enjoyment factor of this film. Fantastic special effects (again), wonderful score, and good costumes. Awaiting the Blu-ray release to watch it again. Expand
  99. Jul 10, 2013
    I wasn't a big fan of past Star Trek movies and TV series but the new star trek movie made the world interesting for me and Star Trek Into Darkness added to that interest. Great movie.
  100. Oct 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek Into Darkness

puts on a show in his latest feature

Abbram's new vision of the long running Sci-Fi franchise may not please the most hardcore fans but never the less 'Star Trek Into Darkness' brings plenty of entertainment and thrilling action.

The Starship Enterprise must capture a terrorist after he strikes a blow on Section 31 on Earth. They find out he is located on the planet Kronos but must take great caution to avoid starting a war with the Klingons. Kirk and Spock's friendship is strained as Spock is trying to balance his out right honesty in his duties and his loyalty towards the captain.

Benedict Cumberbatch, best known for his leading role in successful BBC series 'Sherlock' steals the show with a outstanding performance as Harrison. Once more Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock) played great off each other, providing the comedy while giving true portrayals of their character. Alice Eve is brought in to play scientist, Dr Carole Wallace. It seems like a clear attempt to bring in a female hero but for the most part is one dimensional.

The films predecessor was clearly used to set up the character but little is done to progress those characters but to Abbram's credit the rare occasions when we see developments they are done very well. Despite these flaws 'Into Darkness' is still a fantastic addition and a fun action packed film. It brings potential and promise to the third installment set for a 2016 release.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?