7.8

1. May 27, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a great action movie. It will be one of the best action movies of 2013, because it's just great. The special effects are faultless, also. My few complaints with it are that the beginning bombing is hard to follow, and the end wasn't satisfactory for me. Great movie all around!
  2. Jun 24, 2013
    I'm not much of a Star Trek fan. Never have been, and I doubt I ever will be. However, I am a fan of movies in general. As far as movies go, Star Trek Into Darkness delivers. The plot is engaging, the villain(s) are awesome, and the action is excellent. The movie as a whole is a very good and satisfying sci fi movie. Whether or not it's a good Star Trek movie is beyond my knowledge.
  3. May 19, 2013
    This movie was awesome! I have no clue why anyone would go below and 8 and thats for trekies standards. The movie was non stop compelling and didn't make you feel like your waiting for the boring scene to be over. The graphics were top notch and the bad guy can kick some a$$.. like you should just lay down and cry if this dude was coming after you. I love the whole "who is leading who"This movie was awesome! I have no clue why anyone would go below and 8 and thats for trekies standards. The movie was non stop compelling and didn't make you feel like your waiting for the boring scene to be over. The graphics were top notch and the bad guy can kick some a$$.. like you should just lay down and cry if this dude was coming after you. I love the whole "who is leading who" concept. Only thing I can say that was missing was more of a back story on the villian to make us really like or hate him. Other than that.. you need to take your family to go see this or you're not an Merican! pew pew Expand
  4. Jun 12, 2013
    I am not particularly a Star Trek fan. I appreciate it's contributions to television and film, but it is just something I never got into.

This movie was really great. I went into it without many expectations and left pleased. The characters develop in realistic ways and romantic love isn't a central theme (like it is in a ton of movies these days). If you are looking for lots of

If you are looking for lots of twists and surprises, check this movie out. Great cast and great writing.
  5. May 30, 2013
    As a scfi fan quite excited to see this film I unfortunately left disappoint a little. JJ Abrams said this is a stand-alone film where the audience does not need to have seen prior Star Trek films to enjoy. This is true to a certain extent where you realise it references and reuses much Star Trek history. I thought this is a good and bad aspect of the film. The reason is because whilst itAs a scfi fan quite excited to see this film I unfortunately left disappoint a little. JJ Abrams said this is a stand-alone film where the audience does not need to have seen prior Star Trek films to enjoy. This is true to a certain extent where you realise it references and reuses much Star Trek history. I thought this is a good and bad aspect of the film. The reason is because whilst it is unoriginal to a degree it enables old fans to be acknowledged and new fans to enjoy the film. Old fans might also see the crew, besides Kirk and Spock, have minimal screen time. I was also disappointed with this because they almost disappeared. However those who know the history of this franchise will enjoy it more because of these references to past star trek works.

From the beginning of the film action occurs regularly and at varied scales. Any fan of action films will be awed by the large set piece sequences unfolding before them with satisfying SFX, great art designs, and sound. Visuals clearly are one of the strong aspects that most, including me, immediately are impressed by (especially the warp battle scene). Also seeing a futuristic Earth is great and I really wanted to see more of it than we did however what you do see is great.

Acting from all was just fine. Not one line of dialogue was out of place.

The story itself is good but as said earlier reuses and references too much Star Trek history to be praised for originality. I know this is an alternative universe where events only up to a certain point are changed but the reasons for everything that occurs is largely one persons imagination, i.e. we don’t see events which generate the supposedly perpetuated fear. I believe that ‘Into Darkness’ is an incorrectly chosen title because there isn’t much darkness in this film.

In critiquing the story think the antagonist’s action are too extreme for what he aims to achieve; he is experienced in war, has a calm demeanour, is methodical and is strategic. Somehow despite his motivations for his actions the collateral damage incurred doesn’t fit. This makes no sense to me because we find out who his target is all along. If he is very skilled and capable then why kill so many others when one person is your target. Friends have said ‘he is a complex bad guy’ whereas my impression is his character doesn’t match his actions.

You shouldn’t be surprised that with little screen time the crew of the Enterprise hardly develop as characters, except for Sulu, Kirk and Spock. They do get their screen time but we see no growth or change in the characters. Hence the crew become backdrops to transport Kirk and Spock around to have a swash-buckling adventure.

If you are interested in seeing this film please do. You will be entertained and escape from reality for a few hours. Whilst you will have some enjoyment you might leave a little disappointed like I did. The reason is because the story reuses and references too much past material, the antagonist’s character and actions are a mis-fit; and the Enterprise crew (besides Kirk and Spock) are minor characters.
  6. May 17, 2013
    Haven't had a better 2 hours of silly fun at the movies this year. Great performances of iconic characters, terrific production values and a fun twist on an old villain. Enjoy.
  7. May 20, 2013
    I'm new to the star trek series so I can not compare this to previous films but, I can say this was a good introduction. The story is very good and the characters are very memorable, as they were before, and just when you think the movies over it's not, and then it does it again.
  8. May 20, 2013
    By being the second Star Trek film released this time round the will always be a comparison to Wrath of Khan, but how well does this film do? The story in this film is quite good following the crew of the Enterprise as they go on a revenge mission against Jon Harrison, played excellently by Benedict Cumberbatch. There are twists and turns here and there but most can be seen from along wayBy being the second Star Trek film released this time round the will always be a comparison to Wrath of Khan, but how well does this film do? The story in this film is quite good following the crew of the Enterprise as they go on a revenge mission against Jon Harrison, played excellently by Benedict Cumberbatch. There are twists and turns here and there but most can be seen from along way away. The growth of the supporting casts characters is welcomed and I felt the main cast were now more than 1 dimensional characters unlike the last film. The Kirk and Spock relationship also improves this time. It is also once again Bones gets the best lines of the film. The action sequences are cool but I was irked by the fact that sequences felt like the last film and the fact everyone was always running at the slightest hint of urgency. The lens flare is back yet J.J Abrams has toned it down a bit this time. It also became irritating at times when people just couldn't be transported for one reason or another as away to set up another action scene. Finally aside from about 10 seconds of goofy 3D where things fly at he screen the 3D effects are almost none existent. Compared to the first Star Trek this film is better in pretty much every way from the action, to the story and to the villain. However since it slaps you in the face with Wrath of Khan references it shows it is nowhere near as good a film.
    Rating 7 out of 10
    A very good effort marred by comparisons and callbacks to the other Star Trek 2
  9. Jun 4, 2013
    I will begin by stating that I am not a Star Trek fan which may invalidate my opinion to fans of the series, which I understand being that I am a Star Wars fan and have already gone through the painful process of having the cannon of a franchise I love turned to utter Basically it's a dumb action franchise with a beloved name attatched to it, if you can get past that, you can enjoy it (II will begin by stating that I am not a Star Trek fan which may invalidate my opinion to fans of the series, which I understand being that I am a Star Wars fan and have already gone through the painful process of having the cannon of a franchise I love turned to utter Basically it's a dumb action franchise with a beloved name attatched to it, if you can get past that, you can enjoy it (I did) if you can't stand the thought of a sacred cow being butchered and sold at a discount, then for the love of God spare yourself the agony. Expand
  10. Jun 24, 2013
    Not as good as the reboot that came out 4 years ago or even close to Star trek 2 but it is still a highlight of this years track of movies which seems to have a lot of competition surrounding it.
  11. May 18, 2013
    The nerd's nirvana of science fiction series, probably more so than Star Wars, the Star Trek story grows as it actually regresses in its story to the beginning of its five year exploratory mission, as is explained famously in the intro of the two TV series. The first may have taken some getting used to, seeing new actors play much younger versions of the original series, but "IntoThe nerd's nirvana of science fiction series, probably more so than Star Wars, the Star Trek story grows as it actually regresses in its story to the beginning of its five year exploratory mission, as is explained famously in the intro of the two TV series. The first may have taken some getting used to, seeing new actors play much younger versions of the original series, but "Into Darkness" firmly places Chris Pine particularly as James Kirk in the coveted position of a legendary character.
    Still rebellious and impulsive, without giving the plot away, we find the Enterprise crew fighting most of the film close to home and in London against a very fresh Khan, or as fresh as you can be for being 300 years old.
    I'm not a big trekkie, but my wife adores the series. I was pleasantly surprised by good acting and some very cool special effects, my favorite the planets one space station orbits, much like Jupiter and alien landscapes. This is where visual imagination has no limits and it's done brilliantly, although I do wonder if all planets are so oxygen rich one can just walk off the plank without worrying about the atmosphere or lack of one.
    But we assume all that stuff was taken care of and don't sweat the details. Pine is a first rate actor, as are all the cast, and for a summer movie with lots of action, boom booms and a very cool futuristic London, it's a fine choice. Abrams has done a very good job with this movie, and probably will be up for some special effects Oscars at years' end. One thing I must ask: in a world over two hundred years in the future, will they really have old vinyl records and turntables? Not to mention the same kind of music we listen to now.
  12. May 19, 2013
    So I went to see this tonight and I have to say I was absolutely enthralled throughout. Incredibly good film with a perfect mixture of nostalgia for the old school fans and new things for the new fans...
  13. Jul 8, 2013
    Considering I have not seen any other Star Trek movie I was pleasantly surprised. I came into the theater expecting this movie to completely suck. In the end I was very surprised and impressed by a decent plot of this movie by todays standards.
  14. May 18, 2013
    I’m probably the wrong person to write this review. I’m sure, out there, exists a long-time devoted Trekkie who went to see Star Trek: Into Darkness and found it perfectly in tone with the rest of their beloved franchise. I have never seen an episode of Star Trek; I’m not sure what Deep Space Nine is or why the Klingon language sounds similar to a toad deepthroating a foghorn. My knowledgeI’m probably the wrong person to write this review. I’m sure, out there, exists a long-time devoted Trekkie who went to see Star Trek: Into Darkness and found it perfectly in tone with the rest of their beloved franchise. I have never seen an episode of Star Trek; I’m not sure what Deep Space Nine is or why the Klingon language sounds similar to a toad deepthroating a foghorn. My knowledge of its universe is limited to the first Abrams film released in 2009, a 10 minute segment from the original series with some sort of connection to the Epic of Gilgamesh my history teacher bestowed upon my class during my freshman year of high school, general pop culture, and now, the new JJ Abrams film, Into Darkness. Upfront: I am writing this review completely ignorant of 99% of Star Trek mythology up until this point. Truthfully, I think this blindness grants me an advantage to be able to judge the film objectively and without the taint of hundreds of television episodes, numerous motion pictures, and an endless surplus of fan mania. My non-bias conclusion: Into Darkness has a lot of problems.

Read More http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/star-trek-into-darkness-review-when-good-enough-isnt-good-enough/
  15. May 21, 2013
    I loved it!! This is among my favorite movies ever. I haven't been lost (in a good way) in a movie for a long time and it was great to feel that good about a movie again. So good.
  16. May 23, 2013
    JJ Abrams is back and so is his lens flare. While less noticeable in this sequel, it is still there and still unappreciated. Cinematography aside, the story leaves a lot to be desired as well. The first movie in 2009 was essentially a reboot of the franchise, the time travelling Spock gave a plausible sense of an "alternate history" Star Trek Universe where the "old crew" could exploreJJ Abrams is back and so is his lens flare. While less noticeable in this sequel, it is still there and still unappreciated. Cinematography aside, the story leaves a lot to be desired as well. The first movie in 2009 was essentially a reboot of the franchise, the time travelling Spock gave a plausible sense of an "alternate history" Star Trek Universe where the "old crew" could explore a "new future". However this sequel then proceeds to rip off its plot at key moments from the original Star Trek Wrath of Khan. While not a shot for shot remake of the story the parallels are obvious to any Star Trek fan. There are numerous moments in the movie when aspects from the original are blatantly copied. This is not what I want to see in a reboot franchise that explicitly altered the universe for the sake of continuity. The 2009 movie was designed to open a new future for the crew to follow, yet they seem to plod along and follow the original movie scripts in this sequel. It is just lazy writing and poor direction. An original story would have been far better. They had so much they could draw from and they chose instead to copy Wrath of Khan.
    I would have scored the movie much lower, but Wrath of Khan is a great movie and even this rip off has its merits. Its lack of originality and lack of character development for everyone except Spock hamper it slightly. The effects of course are top notch, as expected in a sci-fi blockbuster of this caliber. The musical score could use help as it essentially runs the same score as the first movie. There is a distinctive lack in familiar alien races as well, I understand this is a reboot and that the timeline is before much of the exploration has been completed, but there are literally dozens of unfamiliar alien races serving on the Enterprise and living on Earth, I could forgive one or two unfamiliar races but at this point they are just littering the screen with costumes and makeup for the sake of it.
    I can only hope that a third movie will learn from the mistakes of the original movie series and will also take into account that this is in fact a reboot and does in fact need some original writing to take advantage of that fact.
  17. May 17, 2013
    The thing about the first Star Trek movie, as made by J.J. Abrams, was that it had some big shoes to fill. Star Trek's legacy has lasted nearly 50 years. From it's very beginnings in the 1960s and the constant threat of near cancellation, through 4 consecutive spinoffs, 3 of which lasted 7 years in length. It already had 6 movies with the original cast and 4 with the Next Generation cast.The thing about the first Star Trek movie, as made by J.J. Abrams, was that it had some big shoes to fill. Star Trek's legacy has lasted nearly 50 years. From it's very beginnings in the 1960s and the constant threat of near cancellation, through 4 consecutive spinoffs, 3 of which lasted 7 years in length. It already had 6 movies with the original cast and 4 with the Next Generation cast. Not to mention all the various video games, books and other content that's out there for people to absorb. Big shoes to fill might be a massive understatement given the circumstances.

Yet J.J. Abrams managed to succeed in giving old and new fans exactly what they want. A film that both respects the legacy of the previous shows, not to mention the one it's based on, and still manages to bring something to it that doesn't require new fans to understand everything about the previous version to enjoy it. J.J. Abrams has often said about the new Star Trek movies that he wanted to bring a sense of Star Wars to the Star Trek universe (a statement that some consider controversial, particularly now that he has been hired to helm the new Star Wars movies) and I think he succeeded on a certain level while maintaining what was great about Star Trek.

Personally, I've always been more of a Star Trek fan then a Star Wars fan. I enjoyed both but what attracted me to Star Trek was the sense of morality that was inherent to the way the shows worked. In the 60s, Star Trek was most often about the morality of race relations and the sense of threat that nuclear weapons posed in the face of the Cold War. With Star Trek: TNG, it focused a lot on the post-Cold War mentality, with DS9 there was talk of religious conflict and uncertainty, Voyager was most often about maintaining ideals without the structure to keep them in place, and Enterprise was about where that type of morality begins.

The first J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie never really had that moral compass behind it that I recall. I watched it again recently and I wasn't able to figure that part of it out. Thankfully, Star Trek Into Darkness didn't have that problem. It had a clear message of morality to it that was the beating heart of the story. Much like the first one however, it kept that sense of adventure and simplicity to it that made the first one a joy to watch regardless of the level of knowledge you have about the characters and the history that it comes from. It also manages to maintain a sense of humor about itself and that history which long time fans will absolutely love.

Particularly when it comes to one aspect of the story which I will not ruin for you and maintain your reason for going to see it if you're a long time Star Trek fan. Suffice to say there are expectations that people have about this film no matter what your level of interest in Star Trek is which are both met and in my opinion exceeded. For the second time J.J. Abrams has created a film that is funny, smart, action packed and emotionally honest. He understands the audience he's catering to and he's not afraid to give them what they want, but he's also not afraid to do the unexpected. He flips some expectations on their head and within the context of the story he's telling it's the best thing he could do.

I was concerned that given the title that they were going to take the story into a dark place and shift things to a place where the things I liked about Star Trek don't really apply. With the exception of a noticeable reduction in lens flairs, they haven't done it and thank god for that. There's a reason why J.J. Abrams is one of the hottest directors in Hollywood right now and Star Trek Into Darkness is proof of exactly why.

How far into Darkness can they go? Just the right amount to give us a great film that's a worthy addition to the Star Trek legacy.

For more of my reviews, go here:

18. Jun 15, 2013
    I wonder if the critics who spoke this film is just another blogbuster, we need a better script for the third film actually watched the movie or invented it does not need to leave home to work, because the film is a tribute first for the series and the 1982 film, and the best and do not need to be named fan of the series to understand it and appreciate it, has great action scenes that useI wonder if the critics who spoke this film is just another blogbuster, we need a better script for the third film actually watched the movie or invented it does not need to leave home to work, because the film is a tribute first for the series and the 1982 film, and the best and do not need to be named fan of the series to understand it and appreciate it, has great action scenes that use 3D as well as a roadmap human, intriguing and thoughtful, and best, actors who are entitled to interpret that character. Expand
  19. Oct 4, 2013
    Two words: lens flare.

Two words: lens flare.

But because that will not fulfill metacritic's 150 character minimum, let me add that as a fan of the original series, I am offended by this rebooting, which cheapens the original series concept by re-imagining it as a big-budget rock 'em sock 'em blockbuster for teenage boys. Seriously, how many fist fights are we expected to endure? Even stoic, logical Mr Spock gets into the act.

Not to mention the lens flare.

Please, next time, spare us another unimaginative, mediocre, Earth-bound spectacle without a trace of grandeur.
  20. May 23, 2013
    Okay, as an action movie it's really great, characters are perfectly acted, plot has it's twists, and the ending is satisfying! But my expectations were higher, Star Trek is Science Fiction, not a fantasy. And 3d is pointless here(except for prologue). So it's a great action movie, but could've been better!
  21. Jun 8, 2013
    For the first time in decades, I want to see a movie again immediately.

I'm old enough to have seen Star Trek first run in the '60's. Saw Star Wars opening weekend in LA. I consider myself a Star Trek fan, not a Trekkie. I have a large library of science fiction books and movies that cover the gamut. I say all that to provide some credibility and context to this; Star Trek Into
    For the first time in decades, I want to see a movie again immediately.

I say all that to provide some credibility and context to this; Star Trek Into Darkness is a magnificent film. Not perfect, but very, very well done. I saw this in IMAX 3D and noticed some motion artifacts and ghosting but otherwise it worked well in this format.

Brilliant screenplay. Several lines that are "connectors" for fans very familiar with Trek. There are some funny moments, a couple got big laughs in my audience, but for the most part this is a serious movie that moves at a brisk clip.

Overall great work from the cast. Zachary Quinto stands out, sometimes to the point of out shining his cast mates.

Without giving anything away...and to do so is moronic...this film continues the universe Abrams created in the first film while offering a terrific, logical well built framework to link both 'old' and 'new' in brilliant fashion.

Highest recommendation. Not to be missed.
  22. May 20, 2013
    I dont quite understand why this movie isnt making that much money. It was actually one of the best action movies i had seen in a while. Story, graphics, acting...everything was very well done. I hope they keep the franchise going cause i cant wait to see another one.
  23. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Following the 2009 reboot of the Star Trek franchise, J.J. Abrams had a lot to live up to after it's success. But with the additions of Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller, Star Trek Into Darkness hits on all fronts. With Benedict Cumberbatch's startling performance as the infamous Star Trek villain, Khan, to the sensational visual effects and the flawless portrayal of emotions in this blockbuster sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness is still not without it's flaws. With the sudden and lackluster finale, and the at times drawn out storytelling, Star Trek Into Darkness is by no means a masterpiece but is still an event that very few moviegoers will miss out on. Expand
  24. May 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let us first imagine that we are truly going where no one has gone before. That being the case, this movie took us to new places while still giving us something old to hang on to. That being said, there were some issues.

Spoilers start here:

Ok, the great mystery villain is Khan. Great anti-Kirk villain. However, those that remember the original series also know that Khan was found in deep space while on the 5 year mission aboard the Botany Bay. However you introduce him, Khan is Khan. Badass and take no prisoners.

Kirk on the other hand is all over the place. emo, angry and valiant in the end. The should-he-be-captain argument was well played in the first movie but lacked a bit of the same punch in this one.

Action was spot on fun. I decided to avoid the 3D as I am not a fan but I can imagine that this movie in 3D would sparkle. The story was a bit....incoherent at times such as the death of Kirk. Yes I said the death of Kirk. Which looking at the film might have truly been my biggest problem. Look, I have grown up around Star Trek and all the movies. Star Trek II TWoK is not to be blasphemed in the eyes of most true Trekkies. So what did JJ do? He turned around the entire scene and we replayed the final moments of that original and turned it around where Kirk dies instead of Spock. Spock screaming the infamous Shatner "Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan" somewhat missed the mark for me and the radiation damage done to Kirk's skin was not there compared to the makeup done for Spock. Speaking of Spock, the enjoyment of the original series was that Kirk was clever enough with the help of his crew to outwit any adversary. I did not care for Spock calling on his older self to seek answers on how to win. Seemed anti-climatic.

This movie was a coming of age movie for Kirk the character and starts the new 5 year mission. I am unsure on how JJ could top himself on a 3rd movie as ST2 was more than adequately robbed of material. But, there are good Trek stories still yet to be told.

I struggle with assigning a numeric rating to this movie because it really was a good movie minus the death of Kirk and the unoriginality of that entire scene. Even with that being said, I still very much liked the movie and I can understand the alternate timeline issues that make this series fresh.
  25. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To start off this review, I'd like to say that this Star Trek movie was much better and more interesting than the previous one. Not only that here the two hour length made much more sense (because the previous one was too long and boring). Spock was better written this time, he evolved and was even rather funny. CGwise the movie was also much much better. The bad guys here are Khan and the admiral, both portrayed briliantly. There are also many references to the first movies and TV-shows. The only cons are that Khan (in his fight with Spock) was much more honorable than anyone would be that whole fist-fight felt scripted and that there simply has to be an antagonist (this is becoming a cliché). There could simply be a movie with it's own plot. Expand
  26. May 17, 2013
    It's an obvious aspect of the film-making industry that many sequels just don't match up to the originals. J.J. Abrams and the cast of Star Trek: Into Darkness were able to avoid a slump in their sophomore follow-up, and that is impressive in its own right. However, the acting shines through, with truly emotional scenes between intense action sequences, and the film flows extremely wellIt's an obvious aspect of the film-making industry that many sequels just don't match up to the originals. J.J. Abrams and the cast of Star Trek: Into Darkness were able to avoid a slump in their sophomore follow-up, and that is impressive in its own right. However, the acting shines through, with truly emotional scenes between intense action sequences, and the film flows extremely well throughout.

J.J. Abrams choices of scenes and environments has always been a strong suit of his, one which he used to full effect in the first Star Trek in 2009. In "Into Darkness", the environments are used to great effect, from the opening scenes to the final shots in the credits.

The soundtrack is wonderful, making the viewer feel the emotions of the scenes. Of course, the theme is the highlight of them all.

The acting is wonderful. Without knowing that Benedict Cumberbatch was going to be in it, nor with the knowledge of the character he portrayed, I was impacted by his performance. Midway through the film his portrayal made me second guess myself every couple of minutes. The relationship between Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Kirk (Chris Pine) was masterfully done in both dialogue and the performance of said dialogue. Pine and Quinto's on-screen relationship is a wonder to see, creating layers and depth to Spock and Kirk's relationship. In addition, the rest of the cast is well acted again, a testament to how well each actor and actress fits into their role.

It was a great follow-up to the first Star Trek reboot, definitely worthy of continuing the series.
  27. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very satisfied with the new Star Trek film--JJ Abrams has created an alternative world Star Trek that works well, and this film contains multiple nods to the original TV series and the previous films. I did catch one moment of Star Wars, a little voice in my head said "use the force, Jim", but all in all, the Star Trek curse is alive and well, this was Film #12 in the series. Will the whales return in the next incarnation or will we see the new Klingon war? I will be looking forward to the next film. Expand
  28. May 17, 2013
    I think this film is something for Trekkies and non-trekkies alike. Lots of references for the Trekkies (like me) to enjoy and lots of action and nice special effects for the rest as well :)

Can't wait for the next one which is supposed to come in 2016 afaik
  29. May 27, 2013
    I don't like Khan from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but I love the character Khan from Star Trek Into Darkness.
    He became my favorite new character. My favorite characters are The Joker, Patrick Bateman, Darth Vader, Artyom, Spock. I wanted to see cloaked human, and starfighter in new Star Trek and Star Wars. Like cloaked TIE interceptor from Star Wars: Rebel Assault II and Ghost from Star Craft Brood War.
  30. May 18, 2013
    The reviews seem to reflect either a "love it" or "hate it" rating for this movie. Personally, I loved it and felt was even better than the first of these new installments, or "reboot". Great script and even greater acting. I must be getting soft--I never thought I get misty-eyed watching Star Trek, but I did watching a couple 'dramatic' scenes in this movie (e.g., the Pike-Kirk exchangeThe reviews seem to reflect either a "love it" or "hate it" rating for this movie. Personally, I loved it and felt was even better than the first of these new installments, or "reboot". Great script and even greater acting. I must be getting soft--I never thought I get misty-eyed watching Star Trek, but I did watching a couple 'dramatic' scenes in this movie (e.g., the Pike-Kirk exchange in the bar and the Kirk-Spock exchange right before Kirk (Not gonna spoil it for you.)

Yet the question should be asked: Why such an extreme polarity in the reviews in terms of people either loving it or hating it? For all Star Trek fans like myself, it depends on how you interpret "reboot".

If you look at reboot as a replication of the same thing, i.e., of complete adherence to the original tv series in terms of plot line and character portrayal, then there will be plenty you could find to criticize. For example, you might hate the "new" Spock who exhibits much more 'humanity' and/or much more tension between his vulcan and human sides than Nimoy's original Spock ever did (or his Spock Prime for that matter).

However, if you look at "reboot" like a new 'retrograde' car (e.g., Mustang, Challenger, Camaro, etc.) which has fundamental styling elements easily identifiable/reminiscent of the original muscle car of the 60's while yet adding "new and improved" modernized touches which accentuate the look even more, then you like me will love the "new" Star Trek. You might even love the 'new' Spock, and may think the deeper, more complex portrayal of the character is even better than Nimoy's original (Yes, that is "heresy" to some for me to say, but so be it.) I'm not knocking the original Star Trek in any way. But this is arguably an improvement, not just technologically in terms of the cinematography (which no one can argue), but in terms of the acting as well, provided you get over any expectations of complete adherence to the original Star Trek, which is impossible to pull off just given the new actors trying to play old roles.
  31. May 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie getting 5.0 or less ratings is simply either the rantings of people who have no clue what good science fiction is or trekkies who were going to vote that way no matter what if this movie dared to re-imagine the greatest villain in Star Trek history. To the rest of America I would say that this movie represents the pinnacle of science fiction movies from plot to suspense to action to emotion. How many other science fiction movies will have viewers literally weeping in their seats. Fantastic special effects combined with great sound make this movie even more enjoyable in IMAX 3D. This movie is sure to only add to the legacy of J. J. Abrams and the Star Trek franchise and sets the bar almost insurmountably high for future sci-fi movies. Quite frankly, if Abrams can do this for Star Trek, it is almost unimaginable what he will accomplish with the Star Wars franchise. I think we can finally rest safely knowing that Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks are a thing of the past though we will certainly have more lens flare in our upcoming Star Wars VII.

Star Trek: Into Darkness is a thrilling spectacle that will keep you on the edge of your seats and appeal to viewers of all ages, genders and species!
  32. Jun 9, 2013
    Fun and entertaining sequel that is more intense and bolder than its predecessor. Cumberbatch's evil and menacing performance steals the show. -MN
  33. May 19, 2013
    Absolutely the first movie everyone must see this summer. Benedict Cumberbatch rides high along with the films visually breathtaking digital setpieces. An undertone of every characters impending death is present throughout the entire film, which may be the films greatest strength in the short run and greatest weakness in the long run.
  34. May 19, 2013
    Overall this a good film and likely worth seeing at a theatre. However I must say that it lacks in story and character development, and doesn't really give the actors a chance to act.

The movie starts off great! It shows this cool alien race on an M class planet and it really feels like Star Trek, however after that we go into a more casino royale style Kirk with big explosions etc (yawn). I think what made the first one so good was that it was about the life of Kirk and Star trek history, while this one was more or less just an action movie.

The editor included of a lot really cool and epic shots of spaceships and of Earth, however if that time was spent on explaining character motivations, it would have created a more coherent picture of the story than a CGI animation is capable of. I don't want to give spoilers away so I won't say more than that.
  35. May 19, 2013
    Amazing adventure movie, I am not regretting any seconds of it.

Once again another masterpiece (I was not in to startreck) I now love it amazing plot and story, loved the 3D version 1 word AMAZING!
  36. May 19, 2013
    Perfect summer movie and as good or even better than JJ's first foray into the rebooted Trek Universe. Cleverly rebuilding off the original series/movies. Great performances, scenery, action, plot, you name it. Good use of all available characters. Brought my 8 and 10 year old boys with me, and they insisted I add this review because they enjoyed it so much.

When is the third

When is the third coming? And now I'm getting my hopes up for Star Wars 7-9.
  37. May 19, 2013
    Action from start to finish. Really like how they tie in some of the original series into the film. There is no doubt there we be another Star Trek film after this one
  38. May 25, 2013
    I had high expectations since the last Star Trek. I wasn't disappointed. Although I did think they could have done something different here and there, I really enjoyed what J.J. Abrams brought to theaters and can't wait for Star Trek 3!
  39. Jun 12, 2013
    This movei did exactly what I wanted it to do. It entertained me for the duration of the whole movie. By no means was this move great, but it wasn't bad ether. If you are looking for an action thriller that will keep you entertained for its duration then here you go.
  40. Jun 9, 2013
    This truly is one of THE best movies i watched in last decade! I'm really glad that sci fi genre is getting more and more attention, better and better stories! I was a fan of old Star Trek as well but honestly i'm fan of sci fi genre first... New Star Trek has a lot more then just superb CGI new cast is fantastic! I like that they are creating all new parallel universe of Star Trek it'sThis truly is one of THE best movies i watched in last decade! I'm really glad that sci fi genre is getting more and more attention, better and better stories! I was a fan of old Star Trek as well but honestly i'm fan of sci fi genre first... New Star Trek has a lot more then just superb CGI new cast is fantastic! I like that they are creating all new parallel universe of Star Trek it's darker it's better... more thought has been put in new stories! Human imagination has no limits and thanks to better and better effects imagination is little closer to reality! We all like to get lost in some imaginary world to have fun..

After projection was over i was like WOW! I watched it in 3D and i must say it is best 3D out there!

MUST SEE!
  41. Jun 5, 2013
    I'm trying something a bit different to the other reviewers out there: a pithy review a doodle! I've got a few up so far, including one of STID:

http://sketchy-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/new-release-review-star- trek-into.html

Thoughts/ruminations/random (ideally uncouth) comments, are more than welcome.
  42. Jun 10, 2013
    A visually splendid and action-packed sequel. Worth the 3D price. Chris Pine and Zachary Pinto are good as leads once again but who stole the show was Benedict Cumberbatch as the menacing Khan.
  43. Jun 12, 2013
    Very good, but so much stupid, non-sensical stuff in the last 45 minutes, it gets kind of stupid. Lots of great references to the early films as well.
  44. Jun 12, 2013
    I absolutely loved it!! Strong character development, a flowing storyline, and pretty much non-stop action!!

Allthough, like its predecessor it moves away from the original Star Trek feel, it is brilliant nonetheless. I enjoyed the old Trek movies, but was never a huge fan due to the lack of action in them. (Yes I'm a Star Wars fan :p ) The last 2 Trek movies were truly enjoyable,

The last 2 Trek movies were truly enjoyable, and I can't wait for the next one!!!
  45. Jun 11, 2013
    Making good casting choices pays off as the latest installment of Star Trek continues to build upon the fantastic release of three years ago.

The key to all great Star Wars movies is the villain and Cumberbatch does a fantastic job. Jim and his crew continue to expand the writing easily sets up the sequel with the first 30 minutes of the movie. The narrative is eerily similar to a

The narrative is eerily similar to a past release but not so much as it gives it just enough room to move ahead and give it most likely a more probable conclusion then its predecessor.
  46. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. J.J. Abrams's first Star Trek picture managed to take the familiar characters that die hard fans have relished for decades and bring them back to life with greatness, as well as present a new twist in the Star Trek universe that is creative and refreshing. With Star Trek Into Darkness, can Abrams and his team of writers make a sequel that is good, perhaps even better than its predecessor? The answer from this movie is yes. This success is not necessarily just from the reappearance of all the characters from the previous film. Nor is it even the photo-realistic visual effects and action sequences. Rather, it is revealed from its clever story and one of the best Star Trek villains ever brought back to the big screen...Kahn.

The film picks up a year after the events from the prequel. Kirk has botched a mission and is demoted from his position as captain. When a series of events follow suit, including mass destruction and death of a close friend, Kirk is put back in the captain's chair and sent on a mission to capture Kahn, the man responsible. But like with all J.J. Abram films and TV shows, there is more to it than you would ever anticipate. What is so good about this Stark Trek, is that it is quite unpredictable. Characters die sudden and unexpectedly. The story makes twist and turns, elements that are enough to put me on the edge of my seat at times. There is never a dull moment in this film. What is also so good is the amount of references tied into other Stark Trek films. Not trying to give much away, but there is a scene re-adapted more or less from "Wrath of Kahn." It is a beautiful and poignant scene that many past Star Trek fans will find amusing and touching.

English actor Benedict Cumberbatch takes the mantle as Kahn. For those of you who remember Ricardo Montalban in Wrath of Kahn, an old man with bad make up and a fake chest and biceps, well, Kahn is now not like this anymore. His intelligence and strength are strong enough to make him more than a formidable enemy for Kirk and the Starship Enterprise's crew. His performance, loaded with blank facial expressions and lifeless eyes almost remind me of a young Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lector. It would be interesting to see the two play a game of chess.

J.J. Abrams has out done himself again with his new installment of his Star Trek series. It is blockbuster success in terms of fun, entertainment, action, humor, story, and above all a great villain. You can't go wrong in seeing "Star Trek Into Darkness."
  47. Jun 12, 2013
    Great movie, love the cast minus Karl Urban. Benedict Cumberbatch is amazing as the new villain! I love the relationship between Spock and Kirk. It was funny, sweet, intense at times and overall entertaining!
  48. Jun 12, 2013
    There is really nothing much to say about "Star Trek Into Darkness", It's a really great film! One of the films I've enjoyed so far this summer. The end would've have been a bit better then what it was. It would have been a bit dramatic just a bit. Overall a 9 out of a 10. A must see film!
  49. Jun 14, 2013
    In short, this movie is awesome. Fun pacing and the chemistry between the actors is excellent. If you love a good bro-mance then get ready! As long as you are not a "die hard treky" you will enjoy this movie. If you can handle the fact this is a different universe than skip it.
  50. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a thoroughly enjoyable movie. The cast has some obvious chemistry and Abrams knows what this movie truly is. I will say that I thought the first movie was better, but this installment is no slouch. The chemistry of the actors brings good humor even in the midst of thrilling action. The graphics are first rate. The story is as much as you should expect from Star Trek.
  51. Jun 20, 2013
    A thrilling sequel to Abram's Reboot, this movie is showing a lot of charismatic actors, good performances and a solid storytelling.

What this movie showed with great succes is the retelling of a story all great fans already knew: Abrams was able to amaze and surprise the audience even when they thought to already have seen it coming!
  52. Jun 17, 2013
    I personally liked this movie, although I had a few problems with it, the main one being that James T. Kirk is an awful, awful character. And I really hated how at the beginning after he breaks protocol, they give him a second chance even though he did nothing to earn one. Although that's mainly just a pet peeve of mine.
  53. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I Never Liked Star Wars Kind of films. But after Watching Star Trek in 2009. My Interest grew to this franchise. And from that very moment i waited from the second installment of Star Trek. Finally after 4 years of waiting, Finally comes INTO DARKNESS. Saw the Movie very First day and i wasn't Disappointed, not at all. But This Edition of the film Made me fan of J.J.Abrams. Truly An Awesome Movie with ultimate Action Episodes And excellent CG work. Truly Amazing. Now Waiting For J.J.Abrams next Movie STAR WARS EPISODE VII. Expand
  54. Jun 16, 2013
    the film as a whole is greater than the the first movie
    and the film is aptly named "into darkness"
    Benedict Cumberbatch has a certain charisma which also carry the film
  55. Jun 17, 2013
    Mind-blowing, action packed, smart, heartbreaking moments, menacing, and funny. Some great acting by the cast. A great antagonist. A thoroughly fantastic film!
  56. Jun 18, 2013
    How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
    ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the modern day star trek franchise starring Chris Pine, Benedict Cumberbatch, and is directed by J.J Abrams. In this film we follow the continuing adventures of the U.S.S Enterprise and the crew that inhabits it.
    The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as
    How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
    The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as well. The film opens and we get to witness first glance what kind of excitement these people go through. This film also stretches the bounds of Spock and Kirk’s friendship, putting them through tests that could be the difference of life and death. Quinto’s Spock finds trouble understanding the meaning of true friendship because he (like all vulcan) cannot help but think on more of a logical scale. Throughout the course of the movie he must struggle to channel his human half.
    That’s also not to say the other character’s are without conflicts. Kirk must deal with his superiors orders as he is a loose cannon when it comes to following the rules. Zoë Saldana’s character must deal with her relationship with Spock, and Cumberbatch’s character terrorizes the entire federation with his evil plan.
    Speaking of which, Cumberbatch plays his role to a tooth. Not only providing the film with a good villain, but a very memorable antagonist for the entire star trek franchise. The way he slowly explains himself while remaining obscure until the very end makes him beyond interesting.
    The communication between he and kirk at points was the most interesting parts of the film. However, the visuals are something to be noticed as well. They are top notch and stimulating. Something the star trek franchise has always been known for having.
    If there are any gripes, I would say that (while not being a long time fan) I noticed that much of the lore has been tweaked and the traditional star trek format has been replaced with more of an action based genre. However, many sci-fi elements still remain and most of all I have to become aware that this is Abrams’ timeline. While the original timeline did happen, this one is still good even with some changes and they are not something that is very bothersome. The only real bothersome thing I did find was a lazy moment in the script at the end. While I did enjoy the twist in roles of two characters, I didn’t like the sudden abrupt climax. I felt that it could have been concluded smoother. It felt as if they ran out of time and had to put the end together in a matter of hours.
    Other than that, I found that this new trek improved much on some faults the first had (like the villain) while also providing new ideas that contrasted with old ones. New Trek is more than a summer movie, and it’s not so much a fan only film.
  57. Jun 18, 2013
    Star Trek is perfectly depicted once again. A trekkie,I am very proud of the most recent realeases in the Trek franchise. It not only uses the average big budget expectations but also suits to the needs of a Trek die-hard. Though i felt it took a little long for this film to come together (which definitley hurt it at the box office) it showed to be worth the wait. And this film isn't asStar Trek is perfectly depicted once again. A trekkie,I am very proud of the most recent realeases in the Trek franchise. It not only uses the average big budget expectations but also suits to the needs of a Trek die-hard. Though i felt it took a little long for this film to come together (which definitley hurt it at the box office) it showed to be worth the wait. And this film isn't as unique as Star Trek (2009) i felt it was still great. The reason i say it wasn't as unique, was it felt similar to that of Star Trek, (which it should a little) and should've taken a bigger risk with Khan. The Wrath of Khan was one of Star Treks best films, and i feel J.J should've tried harder with the character. I also feel alot of big budget sequels are trying to create Joker-esque (Heath Ledgers potrayal) scenarios with villains, and i need something new. All in All great film, and great Star Trek film. 9/10 Excellent. Expand
  58. Jun 23, 2013
    Star Trek into darkness is a great movie a great movie and a worthy remake of the wrath of Khan!!!!!!!!! And if you didn't like this movie go yourself
  59. Jun 20, 2013
    This movie has many good things going for it, great special effects, and a storyline that definitely holds up. Sadly though, it's falls terribly short with the acting. There are scenes where the acting is so forced, scenes that are meant to be deeply dramatic but they come off as cheesy and awkward. Another criticism (one it shares with many hollywood films these days) is once the actionThis movie has many good things going for it, great special effects, and a storyline that definitely holds up. Sadly though, it's falls terribly short with the acting. There are scenes where the acting is so forced, scenes that are meant to be deeply dramatic but they come off as cheesy and awkward. Another criticism (one it shares with many hollywood films these days) is once the action has started it just doesn't stop. Fast shots, expositions, chases, dramatic music. Watching a movie these days is pretty full-on. And what happened to suspense? Look at the first Alien movie, you see an alien for the first time half way through the movie, and by the end you've only seen it about 5 times, but it's still an amazing movie, the suspense it creates is amazing. One of the great directors of the past (I forget his name) one said "suspense is when the time-bomb under the table doesn't go off''. I think many of the contemporary screenwriters and directors should consider the concept and art of creating suspense, it's much more challenging to grab your audience without the action overkill of modern-day films... (I'm 28 so this is not coming from senile irritation) Expand
  60. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is probably one of the greatest movies I have seen this year. The beginning of this movie starts out with action already as we see Bones and Kirk try to stop a volcano from destroying a civilization. All the actors did great and a lot of the humor they add in this movie is pretty funny. What caught me the most was the performance by Benedict Cumberbatch who played Khan. He really sold Khan well especially in the fighting scenes and dialogue. The real Khan was a cold blooded former Star Fleet pilot who was genetically engineered to be "better" than other crew members and that's just what Benedict was in this movie. The overall story was really good as it introduced Khan and his own back story. It also told a good story on how Captain Kirk went from a young and captain, to a unselfish and courageous one. My favorite part was when Spock was finally able to feel emotion when Kirk was about to die. Overall this movie was excellent and I hope they make a sequel just as good as this movie or even better!
    Overall: 9/10
  61. Jun 22, 2013
    I'm by no means a Star Trek fan. The only Star Trek I've seen it the 2009 one and Wrath of Khan which I both enjoyed a fair bit. This movie is fast, gorgeous, and slick, but also loud and dumb. And the more you think about it, the more you realize how loud and dumb it is. I wish there were some more cerebral moments, oh well. It has good performances all around with some of the dialogueI'm by no means a Star Trek fan. The only Star Trek I've seen it the 2009 one and Wrath of Khan which I both enjoyed a fair bit. This movie is fast, gorgeous, and slick, but also loud and dumb. And the more you think about it, the more you realize how loud and dumb it is. I wish there were some more cerebral moments, oh well. It has good performances all around with some of the dialogue being great and some being cheesy. I liked Spock and Kirk a lot, and the villain starts out good, too, but then warp drives into a cliche, cheesy mess. What a waste of potential. And the ending was terrible as you knew exactly what was going to happen. But it was never boring, it had some pretty cool moments, it had something to actually about terrorism, and it was entertaining Expand
  62. Jun 24, 2013
    I am a huge Trek fan, like many of the people reviewing here.
    I needless to say- I loved the 2009 Star Trek and it's emergence into a new and alternate universe. But this, I felt was weaker than its predecessor. While still strong and an overall very good movie, I had a small complaint about character development.
    Aside from that, this movie was excellent- and I've seen it three times
    I am a huge Trek fan, like many of the people reviewing here.
    Aside from that, this movie was excellent- and I've seen it three times since its release and enjoyed it thoroughly each time. Worth every penny spent.
  63. Jun 29, 2013
    Simply amazing and epic, Star Trek Into Darkness was a worth-penny viewing in big-screens movie. It was a complex movie but yet J.J Abrams come up a solution to make it very watchable and understandable. I never knew Star Trek movie for sure before I watch this one. But after I watch the this second sequel, I come to in love with this 'Star Trek' Sequel. This movie was one epic movies.
  64. Jun 30, 2013
    Better acting, better action, better effects make this better than previous Star Trek movies. A fitting sequel to the 2009 reboot and a big improvement to what now seem to be the quaint and increasingly silly movies, especially that heap about saving whales. Next I want to see some strange new worlds, enough of earth.
  65. Jul 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hugely entertaining, and a blast if you're a Star Trek fan. It's biggest disappointment is that it's doesn't have that much surprises, and echoes it's predecessor in terms of action and relies heavily on crowdpleasing moments. for my full review go to:http://startrekintodarknessmoviereview.blogspot.nl/ Expand
  66. Jul 5, 2013
    This movie goes from a 7 to an 8 for me based on how they handled such an iconic Star Trek moment. A moment so classic that many people feel the key line between Spock and Kirk came from a great philosopher rather than a brilliant script writer (I admit...I did too until I looked it up). After I got over the incredulity that they were really going to deviate from the original...I had toThis movie goes from a 7 to an 8 for me based on how they handled such an iconic Star Trek moment. A moment so classic that many people feel the key line between Spock and Kirk came from a great philosopher rather than a brilliant script writer (I admit...I did too until I looked it up). After I got over the incredulity that they were really going to deviate from the original...I had to admit to myself that it was the only way the fan-girl in me would have been accepting of that scene. For me, it made up for the plot "cheat" at the end. Expand
  67. Aug 8, 2013
    Star Trek Into Dumbness! The final nail in the coffin of the Star Trek franchise, this movie suffers a nonsensical plot replete with holes and some truly irritating performances from the cast. Of special note in Chris Pine who is thoroughly unlikeable as Kirk.
  68. Sep 29, 2013
    While another cameo stirred emotions and jolted the film upward rapidly boosting momemtum and offering good odds at a high score, it fizzled. Another boost arrived when it appeared one of the secondary crew may have encountered doom... but this, too, was only short-lived.
    With Zoe Soldana involved, most films carry strong chances to achive the 7 to 7.5 tier. With Bana's good,

With Bana's good, hard villian in I, plus Simon Peg as Scotty along with Spock and the alternate time-line idea, they all culminated to produce a nice 8.5555
    Hopes were high going into II:
    "How can you go wrong with Harrison, A.k.a the villain involved?" Maybe it was the video game sequence employing a long shot and mimicking a Skywalker seuqnce. Abrams was going for that effect since at the time, the Star Wars writing job was still open and Abrams knew how to secure it for the person who secures that job is SET FOR LIFE. Well, he did it, good for him, but as a result, we, the viewer ultimately suffered.
    HIs win is our loss, at least here.

Cumberbatch played Harrison well.
    In the end the film was a failure,,,

Final Rating: 6.6666; film falls well short of its title, anand even with pleasant cameo's, mistakes abound.
  69. Nov 13, 2014
    "Star Trek: Into Darkness" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

"Star Trek: Into Darkness" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

The Good: Just like in the previous film, the cast does an amazing job bringing these timeless characters to life once again. You can tell that the actors themselves truly love their roles and have worked to perfect them ... especially Quinto's Spock and Urban's Bones McCoy. An ensemble cast this large makes it difficult to give proper screen time to, especially with such a dedicated fanbase, but Abrams pulls it off brilliantly as every character gets special moments in the film. Cumberbatch was an amazing villain, a perfect blend of explosive savagery and calculating calm. Lastly, the film balances action with drama very well, which concerned me coming in as all the previews makes the film out to be so action packed.

The Bad: I understand that these films are also love letters to past films, but too many scenes were pulled from old films and that rubbed me the wrong way ... especially near the end. The Enterprise doesn't do much in this film and spends a lot of time taking a beating.
  70. Dec 26, 2013
    Garbage writing. Too many plot holes to mention (google them if you want more detail). My main complaint is this: there are 2 "schemes" carried out by 2 villains in this movie that are lacking in logic and full of flaws. How this crap writing got past the critics is beyond me. I can only guess that the critics were pressured by the Hollywood mafia to give this movie good reviews. I can'tGarbage writing. Too many plot holes to mention (google them if you want more detail). My main complaint is this: there are 2 "schemes" carried out by 2 villains in this movie that are lacking in logic and full of flaws. How this crap writing got past the critics is beyond me. I can only guess that the critics were pressured by the Hollywood mafia to give this movie good reviews. I can't believe this is what passes as movie writing these days. How was this script approved? How do these writers get work? They must "know some people in the business" if you know what I mean. Not a fan of the Lindelof/Abrams posse. After Prometheus, I have to peg Lindelof as a guy who fancies himself a genius. He attempts these convoluted plots and they always just end up full of plot holes. I'm not sure he's smart enough to tackle the complex storylines that he attempts. Maybe they need to spend a few more weeks in the writer's room to fill in those plot holes before moving forward with these garbage movie scripts. TV writing is so much better these days. Expand
  71. Sep 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. what a bad film this is. Abrahms did a good job on the first but failed miserably on the second. Spock & Ohura's romance & argument with Kirk, Spock's fight scene, the blondie getting her kit off for no reason other than to give a few geeks a boner. Poor. Why use Klingons and show them for 5 minutes? Oh as if Kirk was going to die and end the franchise. Poor on so many levels. First film see the first 2 1/2 series of Lost. Second film see the remaining series of Lost. Expand
  72. Sep 3, 2013
    'My name is Khan'; Benedict Cumberlatch is the only any thing near 'great' 'awesome' or actor worth mentioning. (other then CGI n tech stuffs).

I can't express how much glad i was to see Kirk dead. i was so relieved and was like 'phew' don't have to see this annoying character (or rather the actor) in the next movie. But alas! Bottom line, It is one of the best blockbuster of the

Bottom line, It is one of the best blockbuster of the year 2013 (unfortunately), agree with many that its way better then recent superhero stuffs and contemporary blockbusters.
  73. Jun 6, 2014
    Words cannot explain how fantastic this film was! The whole experience was a thrill-ride from start to finish, and there were a few laughs as well! This film was very satisfying, and I would definitely recommend it if you're a Star Trek fan!
  74. Nov 3, 2013
    Horrible. Completely misses the point behind Star Trek and fail to live up to even the worst of the TV series. No thinking is required. Despite the amount of whizzes, bangs, and booms in this movie it is actually unexciting. The entire movie is basically one unbroken chain of action sequences and special effects with flurries on fan service and shallow parodies of beloved characters. AlsoHorrible. Completely misses the point behind Star Trek and fail to live up to even the worst of the TV series. No thinking is required. Despite the amount of whizzes, bangs, and booms in this movie it is actually unexciting. The entire movie is basically one unbroken chain of action sequences and special effects with flurries on fan service and shallow parodies of beloved characters. Also the special effects are horribly overproduced and the customs and alien designs are sub par even the TV series had better effects. Expand
  75. Oct 24, 2013
    I'm not a big fan of Star Trek. I'm just a newcomer who loves to enjoy some movies. So I was about to get into Star Trek even more and find out what it is and what all the fuss about. Because of that, I watch the 2009 Reboot by J.J. Abrams which was actually pretty good.

But this one... eh.... Straight to the point, the movie isn't really that bad. The characters do their job right.

But this one... eh....

Straight to the point, the movie isn't really that bad. The characters do their job right. They are relatable and likeable.

But let's start off with the good things. The villain of the reboot isn't that memorable or relatable to say in the least. His motivations doesn't make sense and he's just a bit off. But the villain in this movie played by Benedict Cumberbatch has done a fantastic job. He's menacing, threatening, dangerously intelligent, and basically a superhuman.

My problem with the movie is the plot and that is a major problem.

The first 30 minutes of the movie is very interesting. It builds up a lot into the villain and there's a motivation for Kirk of why he should pursue the guy. There's a clear indication that there will be a character development for Kirk. There IS but I'm just disappointed in how little there is.

The intro is a bit unrelated though. It's just there just for the sake of showing some actions and some conflicts with Kirk and Spock that is basically resolved in the middle of the movie which is rather disappointing. The movie introduces so many interesting conflicts that could build up into a resolution and thus developing more interesting characters, but they got resolved too quickly which is quite the bummer.

The plot of this movie is surprisingly predictable and I'm noting that as one of the negative points of this movie. Halfway through the movie, I've seen plot points and what's going to happen. It's nice and everything on making the viewers to actually think of what's going to happen, but the thing is the predictable plot points are childishly simple which is rather unfitting.

And the movie concludes in some of the most awkward ways I couldn't think of.

A lot of peoples have said that the ending is basically destroying JJ Abram's Star Trek Franchise. I'm not going to spoil it, but the ending is basically a mixed bag between sad and motivational with insulting and lame. Now, speaking as just a movie fan and not a Star Trek fan (in which they despised the ending), I thought the ending was just fine. It's surely a bit rushed but I thought it was fine.

But overall, Star Trek Into Darkness was a disappointment. It's not really the best summer movies out there, but I enjoyed it despite of the flaws. It's a 6/10. At least it's not the same pattern that the older movies had which is basically bad-good-bad-good-bad-good and so forth. But at least good-okay is better than good-bad.
  76. Dec 30, 2013
    Having never even heard of Star Trek, I have to say this movie does a decent job at appealing to non-fans. The pacing is pretty much perfect, and the characters are great. There wasn't a great deal of storytelling but still the movie didn't feel dragged out. There's nothing special here, and you wouldn't be missing out if you didn't watch it, but if you're new to Star Trek it's OK I guess.
  77. Sep 17, 2013
    What I admire most about the new Trek films is how they manage to act alongside the previous era, they incorporate the stories and find room for them alongside these new films, Leonard Nimoy had a significant role in the 2009 reboot, but his role wasn't merely a nostalgic track, he was pivotal to the plot and was excellently written to co-exist with his younger Spock counterpart, ZacharyWhat I admire most about the new Trek films is how they manage to act alongside the previous era, they incorporate the stories and find room for them alongside these new films, Leonard Nimoy had a significant role in the 2009 reboot, but his role wasn't merely a nostalgic track, he was pivotal to the plot and was excellently written to co-exist with his younger Spock counterpart, Zachary Quinto. Into Darkness is another powerful return to the Trek universe, the main reason for this is how much the world is still evolving and characters are still trying to fit into the iconic roles filled before them, most sequels tend to establish their characters as the first film closes, but this return to the Enterprise still finds Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) in an uneasy friendship with Spock, while still making reckless decisions aboard his ship, but the most dire of enemies is just on the horizon, a man within the very ranks of Starfleet itself, Benedict Cumberbatch cuts a very calculated and driven individual in the form of John Harrison, a man whose motives are, at first glance unclear, but as the film progresses, Trek fans know exactly who he really is, the acting from Cumberbatch who speaks in a solid and unshakable tone as he has a mission which he intends to see through, one which tears the crew of the Enterprise apart. There is plenty of character development and also chemistry between the characters to give the whole lot purpose, impressive to look at, but still full of unique individuals.
    While sticking true to its roots, JJ Abrams has also brought many new and fresh devices to reach out to the blockbusters of this generation, where the real visual marvels of the film, what we truly have is a riveting space adventure full of tasers, politics and a nice touch of humour from Keith Urban as the darkly comedic Bones and Simon Pegg as the talkative but amusing Scotty. The comedy comes alongside a very well-written tale of friendship and grief, Harrison isn't a run of the mill villain, he at times shows the demeanour of an anti-hero, out to exact revenge on those who wronged him and his companions in the past, but at other times he is cold and truly calculated in getting what he wants.
    Into Darkness proves that the new generation of space explorers can confidently take the reigns, they take on the mission on explosive fashion, with Abrams having the eye for detail and resolution which is apparent in the film, it may not be as fresh as the first instalment, put this was an ideal continuation and a well-written piece to take its place among one of the best films of the year.
  78. Feb 10, 2015
    While Star Trek: Into Darkness was still a really good sci-fi film, it unfortunately failed to either live up to or exceed the standard set by the first film in this newly rebooted franchise. The acting by the entire cast, including additions Benedict Cumberbatch and Alice Eve, was fantastic and the special effects continued to be on par with the best in the business. I also thought AbramsWhile Star Trek: Into Darkness was still a really good sci-fi film, it unfortunately failed to either live up to or exceed the standard set by the first film in this newly rebooted franchise. The acting by the entire cast, including additions Benedict Cumberbatch and Alice Eve, was fantastic and the special effects continued to be on par with the best in the business. I also thought Abrams did a good job continuing the development of the characters from the first film, making these movies really feel like they connect well. The only negatives with the film, in my opinion, stem from them not branching away from the original series. I didn't love that in the first film but I thought the "alternate universe" concept was an interesting way to stay true to the franchise source material while still allowing the writers a certain level of artistic freedom. That is no longer the case and Abrams' insistent on staying attached at the hip to the original was a weak point for me. While it felt like an interesting concept in the first film, it felt like lazy writing in this one. I really do hope they continue to build this story with more films because I love the universe and the cast but hopefully in future endeavors they leave Leonard Nimoy off of the cast list. Expand
  79. Oct 1, 2013
    Everyone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek. This, in my opinion, added to the creativity and allowed the creators to go in directions that would be impossible had they followed the original. IEveryone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek. This, in my opinion, added to the creativity and allowed the creators to go in directions that would be impossible had they followed the original. I like to view this as a different interpretation of the same story. Just because it's different doesn't mean its bad. For a space cowboy action flick, this one was awesome with a hint of the original to add nostalgia. Kirk developed into a character I was willing to feel for. Spock evolved as well. Kahn was deceptively cunning and evil. The action was grandiose but not over the top. The special effects were done very well and the movie had a good amount of wit and humor. Overall a great watch! Expand
  80. Oct 26, 2013
    Just not very good, starts off with a ripoff of the classic Indiana Jones chase scene and continues with a re-telling of the Wrath of Khan, banal dialogue, a weird, sterile romance between Spock and Uhura, an out-of-place hot blonde, Scottie running around scot-free (ha, pun) on an enemy vessel, an extremely improbable inter-ship gambit, super-soldier Khan who knows everything, a visitJust not very good, starts off with a ripoff of the classic Indiana Jones chase scene and continues with a re-telling of the Wrath of Khan, banal dialogue, a weird, sterile romance between Spock and Uhura, an out-of-place hot blonde, Scottie running around scot-free (ha, pun) on an enemy vessel, an extremely improbable inter-ship gambit, super-soldier Khan who knows everything, a visit from future-spock, 110-lb Checkov saving 300-lbs of Kirk and Scottie deus ex machina much?! Ending with further schmaltz with "where do you want to go" as if their every move wouldn't be governed by Starfleet strategy. Orci & Kurtzman are usually dependable for scripting decent action/plots but I think they sold their standards out for this one, disappointing. Expand
  81. Mar 8, 2014
    It's just as awesome has its predecessor. There's a ton of intense action, humor, powerful acting - everything you expected from this sequel. This is a fantastic visionary roller-coaster ride.
  82. Sep 14, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed the first Star Trek movie up to a point. Kirk, and Spock from adolescence to command, has never been explored.
    But Star Trek is one of those institutions where everybody that Knows Star Trek Knows Star Trek.
    And I don't think that's a good enough excuse to change it. JJ Abrams' insistence on creating a new 'universe' where Vulcan is destroyed may have made an
    And I don't think that's a good enough excuse to change it.
    JJ Abrams' insistence on creating a new 'universe' where Vulcan is destroyed may have made an interesting episode in a TV series but usually in those episodes especially one where time-travel was a distinct part of the plot cause and effect corrected itself and Vulcan was restored to a moment just before thanks to the help of James Tiberius and Co.
    Star Trek into Darkness is just a mash of Star Trek, the original series, with Wrath of Khan, along with the new Universe Abrams brought to the party and although enjoyable, we need someone who fully understands not only where this series, of TV, Animation and Movies for nearly 50 years is going to make it truly good. I hope I have missed something that the next movie will fill in. Otherwise Star Trek into Darkness might as well just be another cash in
  83. Dec 10, 2013
    Starts in the same manner of good old goofy fun as the first film did. We can't get enough proof of Kirk's style of reckless, life-threatening circus stunts which the Starfleet still seems to take for unusual leadership qualities. By my count he should have been court-martialled a long time ago.

An incident in which Kirk saves Spock's life fails to make him notice why the captain risked all to go after him. Kirk is demoted soon to be promoted again. He and his crew are sent to hunt down a mad man named John Harrison on a planet controlled by the Klingons. Needless to say, conflict takes place time and again to spice up the narrative. There's plenty of opportunities for everyone in the crew to display heroics.

Harrison played by Benedict Cumberbatch was the most interesting part of the movie. Frankly, he is the reason the sequel managed to distinguish itself so well from the first movie. There is not much else going on that does that. Coming with a definite advantage in the acting department, the intensity and raw emotion he brings to the screen make him the most enduring character. He is a baffling individual. Another important character who plays a role in the conflict is Admiral Marcus, who heads the Starfleet. A female character also joins the cast.

Spock steps up as a character. Many of the most crucial scenes were centred around him. We see more of his half-human portion. I'm coming to believe that Chris Pine only seems to come into his own when he is playing Captain Kirk, who seems to have the same attributes he has in real life.

The plot was intriguing, and oddly, what kept me excited was the fact that more than halfway through the running time, I still had not made up my mind about who the real villain was. The fighting scenes were thrilling and kept my adrenaline pumping. The score was riveting and an improvement over the one from the last film. The visual effects were spectacular. J.J Abrams took it a bit easy on lens flare this time around.

Alien species were better handled. Nothing seems to zap someone out of the story faster than an alien interacting with humans as if it were nothing. It immediately makes the sceptics cry out in protest about the non-seriousness of the subject matter, so please no funny looking alien sidekicks for comic relief. If it doesn't achieve anything to advance the plot or show something extremely important, it is probably for the best that they stay out. Klingons, however, do not count in this argument, for they are essential to the story, or will be, hopefully.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The climax was mind-blowing and so were the visual effects. We get to see some very nice-looking new spaceships. The Klingon vessels looked the best and oddly the most like the aircraft from our world. The narrative did not suffer from the focus on the effects, set design, costume and make-up. In pursuit of creating a world which felt real and complete, Abrams did not lose sight of the object of telling a good story. At two hours, the movie felt short. I was ready to go for a bit longer. A few more scenes with Harrison could have perhaps succeeded in bestowing upon the movie a timeless quality. He could have been the Joker of Star Trek's universe.

Though people would always prefer a good story over an amalgamation of quasi-science and debates about whether something qualifies as science fiction or not, I'm nevertheless pleased that Star Trek universe was brought to mainstream attention with such flare by Abrams. Star Wars may still be the most beloved for reasons other than being set in space (I've always believed that it was liked because of the characters and the conflict rather than the fact that it was set in space), I'm still content that Star Trek managed to show us something that could actually be our future rather than something that is absolutely impossible. For sticking to the limits imposed by the genre, I shall always admire Star Trek more than Star Wars, for the latter would be much better described as a blend between science fiction and fantasy.

A sequel outshining a first instalment is not so rare, but I've still seen too many which were botched up and left me distrustful of the whole notion. Fortunately, this was not one of those times.
  84. Sep 25, 2013
    I really love how so many people went into this thinking it was going to be a remake of Wrath of Khan. It isn't. THIS IS THE NEW STAR TREK UNIVERSE! Get use to it, it's here to stay.

All the cast from the first movie are back and are more or less as good as they were before. Though I do feel that the movie gave more focus to Kirk, Spock & Scotty this time round. Bones, Uhura, & Sulu felt like very underused. It was nice to see some character growth for Chekov, even if it was only as comic relief.

Cumberbatch was just fantastic as Khan. While I did feel he didn't look the part, that really didn't matter as his performance just blew that little inconsistency away.

It's a little hard to not see Peter Weller as anyone other than Robocop. Also, he already played a character in Enterprise. I really hate when they use the same actors to play different characters within the same universe (sometimes it's OK, but in this case, it's not.)

Overall:
    I thoroughly enjoyed Into Darkness and though it was allot of fun. While it improved allot from the original, I also felt it lacked the heart that first movie show. A fantastic movie none the less.
  85. Jan 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never watched any Star Trek prior to the first movie reboot. I have no nostalgia needs and qualms with change. Just to preface this review.

The villain is fantastic- I cannot emphasize this enough. He's more than I even expected. You need to go into this movie with the correct genre in your mind- sci-fi action movie. And that's exactly what you get, in spades.

I do, however, have an incredibly large gripe with the ending. A very important aspect of the ending is such a cop out. The plot device that "led" up to the against-all-odds reversal is so poorly implemented that I almost want to call it a deus ex machina. A tragic hero would have made a far better conclusion- especially based on the themes present during the ending.

I absolutely adored everything about this movie leading up to the ending, which just falls completely flat, in my opinion. The thrill ride comes to a complete stop at the end and I felt almost frustrated after watching it because I loved every second leading up to the end.

I have a lot of beef with the ending, but at the end of the day,I would still recommend this movie.
  86. Sep 15, 2013
    They really jumped the shark when Kahn teleported from Earth to Kronos. That was not Trek science and was really unacceptable. They did not have any Trekers working on this film. Very bad movie for me after that part.
  87. Dec 8, 2013
    Amazing roller-coaster! Best summer movie of 2013 along with Man of Steel. Lives to the hype created by the first one from 2009. All the characters are likable, the chemistry between the two leading men is amazing. And they got it right with the villain(s) this time. He was powerful, scary and interesting. The visuals and action are crazy good, just the opening scenes alone areAmazing roller-coaster! Best summer movie of 2013 along with Man of Steel. Lives to the hype created by the first one from 2009. All the characters are likable, the chemistry between the two leading men is amazing. And they got it right with the villain(s) this time. He was powerful, scary and interesting. The visuals and action are crazy good, just the opening scenes alone are outstanding. Can´t wait to see the next and final one. Never cared about Star Trek in my life, but this trilogy... yaasss they brought it to life. Expand
  88. Jun 2, 2013
    solid 8. very decent and watchable film, with some contemporary echoes and a ton of action. stands up well as a trek film or an action film. obviously were all in a different universe now, but hey its just one more frontier for our heroes.
  89. May 22, 2013
    Well can what can I say but damn good fun this movie was really good not a star trek fan but I enjoyed this and the first one JJ Abrams does a good job of giving these movie a polish over the originals and can I say Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing i would give the a 10 out of 10 very enjoyable but I would say not for everyone
  90. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Back in 2009, J.J. Abrams did something that seemed almost impossible. He took a long lost franchise (Star Trek) and rebooted it to not only make a movie for the fanboys, but to just make a good movie in general. He succeeded, and he made a great movie that both Trekkies and non Trekkies will enjoy all the same. Now in 2013, he has come out with the next installment and I will say this now, the first one was awesome...this one was incredible.
    Star Trek: Into Darkness took the franchise to a whole new level with its cool new dark twist on the series that I absolutely loved. It’s no longer pretty lights and comedic relief (although this one was funny), it’s about the darker part of the franchise and this one is dark. With this aspect I thought that it somehow even managed to overcome the first one. No, I know exactly how it’s better and I’ll tell you why.
    Have you ever heard of Benedict Cumberbatch? I sure haven’t, but now after this movie I’ll be searching for him. He was the actor that played the ominous and interesting John Harrison a.k.a. Kahn and he killed it. He elevated every scene he was in. The way he talked, the way he moved, and the way he stood was all so eerie and just plain cool. “Shall we begin?” AWESOME! The other actors did a good job, no Cumberbatch though. No, the other actors did great jobs, but they weren’t on Cumberbatches level for sure though. I thought that Zachary Quinto (Spock) did a better job in this one than the first one. He had a scene in there that actually got me choked up that I’ll talk about later.
    An aspect in this one that wasn’t in the first one was the element of surprise. I felt like the first Star Trek was bit predictable. It wasn’t really predictable, but it had that sense where you kind of knew where it was going. This one had nothing of the sort. There was this dark twist to the series that probably helped that aspect too. It added to the anxiety of the action sequences and just the movie in general. I was wondering was going to happen next.
    There was also that emotional depth that was in the first one back in this. It was more about family and what you would do for your family in this one. Kahn’s whole plan is to save his crew who are frozen in these torpedoes and he refers to his crew as his family and it really gives something for Kirk to build upon and same with Spock. The emotional resonance is deep too, there are layers. You end up feeling for the characters and there is this scene that gets me choked up and teary eyed. It’s where Kirk has saved the ship but with the consequence of dying of radiation poisoning and Spock is talking to him from the other side of this chamber. There is this story ark about Spock trying to feel and how he doesn’t choose to feel and this scene breaks him. Kirk is telling him how he’s scared and about how he feels of the situation and he asks him how he can choose to not feel and Spock says, “I don’t know.” Spock is crying and then Kirk puts his hand against the glass and Spock puts his up to it in his signature way and they’re crying, I’m crying. But then Kirk begins to separate his fingers into the same way Spock has his and it’s beautiful to say the least. Kirk dies and to end the scene with a bang, Spock takes his hand off the glass and screams, “KAHN!” It’s phenomenal how they did this and I loved every second of it.
    Star Trek: Into darkness is a dark and interesting installment to the franchise and is, in fact, better than the first. It has great directing, brilliant acting (Cumberbatch), phenomenal writing, and some truly thrilling action sequences. It digs deep with its emotional depth and really shoves the point across that you should do anything for your family with full force. Into darkness was brilliant and perfect, and if J.J. Abrams can reboot the Star Wars franchise like he did this one, I’ll believe that man can do anything.
  91. Nov 3, 2013
    Only few points for effects trekkies, please...
    This version is made for teenagers, and lost all StarTrek magic and science/peace mood.
    They dont even pretend they read physics book at first class...
  92. May 19, 2013
    I'm a big Star Trek fan and to see this movie made me feel like I was in another world. The movie was great visually. The story line was interesting and left you on the edge of your seat. I personally was hoping for more in this movie especially with a longer appearance of the true Spock. After finishing the movie I was left with a "is that it" feeling. Personally I enjoyed this movie andI'm a big Star Trek fan and to see this movie made me feel like I was in another world. The movie was great visually. The story line was interesting and left you on the edge of your seat. I personally was hoping for more in this movie especially with a longer appearance of the true Spock. After finishing the movie I was left with a "is that it" feeling. Personally I enjoyed this movie and wold recommend it to fan out there! Expand
  93. May 23, 2013
    This movie is brilliant. I don't know what else to say. Just go see it, trust me, you'll love it. Funny, smart and holy crap the villain is played by a brilliant actor you might recognize if you watch big shot British TV. Definitely got my bang for the buck.
  94. May 21, 2013
    In to darkness is n awesome movie going experience. The movie is full of twists and turns involving many of the characters including Kirk, Spock McCoy and others. The visual effects are no just there for people t gawk t, rather, they are part of the plot. I loved that ever actor was give his or her big moment on screen. I also loved that the actors get these iconic roles they are play,In to darkness is n awesome movie going experience. The movie is full of twists and turns involving many of the characters including Kirk, Spock McCoy and others. The visual effects are no just there for people t gawk t, rather, they are part of the plot. I loved that ever actor was give his or her big moment on screen. I also loved that the actors get these iconic roles they are play, and that is no easy task, But, Chris Pine and company are up to the task and deliver big time. This is the first great blockbuster of the year. I will measure everything else against it Expand
  95. May 23, 2013
    Satisfaction. That was what swirled around me when the movie ended. Even after the lights flickered on and the credits began flashing on the screen, I barely noticed them. Satisfaction purged out of me in warp speed, and scenes in the movie danced in my mind. Finally, I realised why my friend had been raving about the movie, because I myself had a big mouthful of that sheer goodness.

I

I walked out of the theater with my mind reeling back to earlier scenes. I thought of the concrete character development, which enabled me to fully relate to the characters. It felt as if I had known them long ago. People might deem the relationship between Jim and Spock cheesy, but I say that's the type of relationship we humans are lacking in real life, where facades thrive.

On the way back home, I once again walked down the memories of the build up of the movie. A solid plot, a dashing, evil villain made sure the adrenaline stayed pumping through my veins. The twists and turns in the plot had stolen my breath in the movie, and now it was stealing my ability to concentrate in walking home.

During the movie, I found myself absorbed in the story throughout. One cunning villain was enough to send Starfleet into turmoil. Then came Admiral Marcus, who added to the confusion of who was really the villain. In the end, it came as a surprise that both of them were evil.

I reached home, tired yet happy. As i lay on my bed, a fleeting sense of fuzziness came over me. Thanks J.J.Abram, I thought. Thanks for letting me know some awesome and wonderful people. I closed my eyes-I would need to sleep early. Tomorrow, I would have to go back to join Captain Kirk and Spock in another adventure. I would return to the theater and Star Trek Into Darkness-to boldly go where no man has gone before.
  96. Aug 20, 2013
    Director J.J. Abrams may have taken a bit too long to release the second installment to his rebooted franchise, but it was worth the wait, as ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ was just as fantastic as its predecessor. All the cast members are back in this Star Trek sequel; and with the main characters already developed, the writers spend much of their time evolving the Kirk-Spock dynamic andDirector J.J. Abrams may have taken a bit too long to release the second installment to his rebooted franchise, but it was worth the wait, as ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ was just as fantastic as its predecessor. All the cast members are back in this Star Trek sequel; and with the main characters already developed, the writers spend much of their time evolving the Kirk-Spock dynamic and introducing the new baddie to the scene. When a member of Star Fleet goes rogue and carries out a series of attacks on the Organization, Kirk is charged with conducting an intergalactic manhunt for the terrorist. However, the deeper he goes the more he discovers the true nature of our terrorist and the true shades of Star Fleet. From its high stakes beginning to its higher stakes end, absolutely no time was wasted in the progression of the story, in fact there was very little time for air. Abrams move from set piece to set piece swiftly; and plot layers, gave way to more plot layers and propulsive action scenes. While this may seem scary in writing, the movie flowed smoothly, and the delightful characters remained central. To be honest, what makes ‘Star Trek into Darkness’ such a solid sci-fi action movie wasn't the plethora of visual effects and action scenes; it was the characters at the center of it. A character-driven movie is always more appealing than an effects-driven one and this movie was arguably more of the former. Initially, I questioned the casting choice of Benedict Cumberbatch, but there’s no denying the strength of his performance as our duplicitous new villain. The Wrath of Fans should probably be at ease. I must admit, filmmakers could have paused and explore some of the thematic ideas of this sci-fi adventure a bit further; but that’s a fairly minor complaint for a summer blockbuster this smart and entertaining. Expand
  97. May 23, 2013
    'STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' is an absolutely brilliant space-adventure movie. Just as good, if not, better than the first.

Surprisingly for a summer blockbuster, the plot holds up very well to scrutiny, containing little to no plot holes (unlike the 2009 film). The script contains some very strong, resonant themes like friendship, family and loss, which are amazingly brought forth through great writing, directing and acting.

The acting by all the cast is excellent, especially by the villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch. The main crew from the first film are all quite excellent especially Chris Pine as Captain Kirk. Also, newcomer Alice Eve is surprisingly good playing a new crew member.

The action is perfectly paced and contains some of the most thrilling sequences I've seen for a long time in a sci-fi movie.

The sound effects are top notch and the music score is awe inspiring.

Overall, STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS is a great sci-fi roller-coaster ride of imagination, immersion, darkness, thrill and adventure. A must see.

98. May 25, 2013
    STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

Star Trek Into Darkness is J.J. Abrams' second installment into the reboot of the Star Trek series. It stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Zoe Saldana. In this film, the crew of the Enterprise embarks on a mission to track down a terrorist after a massive attack on Star Fleet. This film is amazing! It's non-stop action from start to
    STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

This film is amazing! It's non-stop action from start to end. Any brief lulls were filled with comedy and insights adding to the depth of the characters.

The acting was great. I really like Chris Pines as the young Captain Kirk, Zachary Quinto is great as Spock, but Benedict Cumberbatch takes the cake as the terrorist. He's a great actor and really added a lot to this film.

The visual and special effects were fantastic and although, I don't think one would necessarily need to see this movie in 3D to enjoy it, I'd recommend it. I was simply blown away by how much fun I had watching this movie.

I enjoyed J.J. Abrams' first Star Trek quite a bit, but in my opinion, this one topped it.

Everyone will like this movie. Just go see it!
    My grade for this film: A

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  99. May 24, 2013
    Great Villain, but I could of used a little bit more humor then the non stop gloom. The non stop action is great, but this movie seems like its trying very hard to be just like the dark knight. The villain and action are enough to warrant a ticket purchase. The 3-D was good, but not as good as iron mans. Overall can't really complain about much besides the fact it isn't as good as the original.
  100. May 24, 2013
    With Star Trek: Into Darkness, J.J. Abrams manages to re-imagine and re-invigorate an entire cast of characters while upgrading an epic story with spectacular effects and compelling modern-day allegories. He carefully adapts the narrative to the uncertain moral tenor of our times (fighting terrorism vs protecting human rights), while paying deference to the villains from the 1960s ColdWith Star Trek: Into Darkness, J.J. Abrams manages to re-imagine and re-invigorate an entire cast of characters while upgrading an epic story with spectacular effects and compelling modern-day allegories. He carefully adapts the narrative to the uncertain moral tenor of our times (fighting terrorism vs protecting human rights), while paying deference to the villains from the 1960s Cold War era that birthed the whole enterprise (grin).

Unfortunately, what’s been lost in translation has been the rich character struggles of yesterday whether the original Spock’s long journey from self-sacrifice, rebirth, and evolution into wise statesman (and dear friend) or Data’s many years of transcending his robotic limitations to discover, explore, shun, and ultimately embrace emotion (albeit with a microchip regulator). There are memorable moments of character development in the Star Trek reboot, but they’re mostly bite-sized nuggets made for 10 second TV spots, tightly squeezed between high-octane special effects sequences.

All of this is to be expected. Big budget action flicks are as competitive as ever, and so, the pleasant niceties of complex, empathetic characters are often first to be sacrificed. It’s just very hard for me to feel the same passion or gravitas as when Spock said to James T. Kirk: “Jim, I have always been, and always will be your friend,” or even when Data reacts joyfully to hearing from his creator that he is “Not less perfect than Lore!”

Still, my central beef with this film is far deeper, and admittedly, totally unfair to the franchise. For the Star Trek narrative or rather, its “neo-religion” of progressive technological progress is shared almost universally by sci-fi authors, movie producers, and storytellers the world over. At its core, it’s a vision of increasing energy use, increasing human ease, and increasing mobility not just around our beautiful blue orb, but across our solar system, galaxy, and beyond.

Accustomed as we humans (or at least we industrial humans) have become to cheap and abundant energy and the ceaseless introduction of new consumer goods and whiz-bang techno-gadgets it seems only natural that the destiny of humankind is to one day transcend this earthly realm, and spread the gospel of material progress to the stars, does it not?

It does not.

Lurking behind the cover story of terrorism and modern unease is an even more troubling development: the endgame of fossil-fueled civilization, and hence, the end of space travel.

Sound absurd? Not really.

Let’s take a moment to piece together the evidence: the desperate rush of invasions by powerful nations into the last remaining oil- and gas-rich territories (Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria, to name only a few); mounting unrest and revolutions in those same regions as energy and food costs rise; the mad scramble by energy corporations into remote regions (deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and the Arctic and highly polluting extraction from Canada’s “tar sands”); “like there’s no tomorrow” wealth grabs and tax cuts by the elite as joblessness, poverty, and inequality grows; and the increasing ferocity of global warming super-charged tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, and typhoons not to mention the attendant global risks to food security, water availability, and seaside populations that climate change represents.

The scaffolding of industrial civilization is starting to show some serious fractures, and no replacement energy sources or technological miracles are ready-and-waiting to save it. If the good folks at the Association for the Study of Peak Oil are even close to being right in their prediction that we’ll soon have to live with less and less overall energy to conduct the activities of modern life, then we’d better stop dreaming of star treks and start coming back to Earth.

That one-time energy bank beneath the earth’s surface that fossilized millions of years ago isn’t coming back. We’ve used most of it already, to power our vehicles, light up our cities, and yes, take us beyond the confines of our planet. But now, faced with the coming end of that generous endowment, we must finally make peace with our own homeworld and one another.

In some ways, the realization that our species will not travel the stars is very sad. We humans are brilliant, creative, and capable of profound love. We’ll simply have to wait for other species with greater resources to find us, and hope that they too, had conceived of some “prime directive” which forbids them from interfering in other worlds at least not until we’re ready.

In other ways, the fact that we’re finally bumping up against ecological and energy limits is of great relief. Perhaps the worst-case scenarios of climate chaos may simply not be possible. At long last, we shall have to reconnect with our own planet.

Perhaps Abrams could call the movie Earth Trek: The Journey Home.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?