7.8

1. Oct 6, 2013
    A timid movie at its core, Star Trek: Into Darkness cynically milks the Star Trek cash cow with another bare bones kill-the-monster plot, propelled with melodramatic danger scenes. It is designed to please two large groups of moviegoers: obsessive geeks giddy over references to previous Star Trek installments, and those casually looking for a special effects spectacle. We don't find anyA timid movie at its core, Star Trek: Into Darkness cynically milks the Star Trek cash cow with another bare bones kill-the-monster plot, propelled with melodramatic danger scenes. It is designed to please two large groups of moviegoers: obsessive geeks giddy over references to previous Star Trek installments, and those casually looking for a special effects spectacle. We don't find any science in the science fiction, not even fantasy physics, just Cowboys and Indians in space, with any kind of arbitrary magic used to serve any plot point. The fanboy references ruin this version of Star Trek as a standalone universe, as they invite undesirable comparisons to earlier incarnations of the characters, which makes everyone seem like either a cartoonish facsimile or an inauthentic knock-off. Nothing holds the film together thematically. Thankfully, outstanding acting from the ensemble prevents a total disaster. Expand
  2. Nov 18, 2013
    The film wasnt perfect, but few films are. However, it did entertain and the good aspects certainly outweigh the bad.
    Cumberpatch played Kahn very well, a strong villain was something the last film lacked so it was great to see a villain that you can respect is properly bad, a villain that had I have met face to face, I would be very frightened of.
    The characters were also much more
    The characters were also much more compelling this time around. Kirk actually grew as a person, overcoming his arrogance and self interest to save the lives of his crew members.
    An excellent sequel and a an excellent film.
  3. Sep 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. what a bad film this is. Abrahms did a good job on the first but failed miserably on the second. Spock & Ohura's romance & argument with Kirk, Spock's fight scene, the blondie getting her kit off for no reason other than to give a few geeks a boner. Poor. Why use Klingons and show them for 5 minutes? Oh as if Kirk was going to die and end the franchise. Poor on so many levels. First film see the first 2 1/2 series of Lost. Second film see the remaining series of Lost. Expand
  4. May 20, 2013
    Into Darkness is a more coherent and compelling adventure than its predecessor. It's hard to do a story that could be stretched out over 7-13 hours justice in about 2, but the film-makers did a good job of creating a tight runaway train of popcorn flick fun. The dialogue was super snappy and the cinematography was quite good. Since I am not enamored of the Star Trek franchise to beginInto Darkness is a more coherent and compelling adventure than its predecessor. It's hard to do a story that could be stretched out over 7-13 hours justice in about 2, but the film-makers did a good job of creating a tight runaway train of popcorn flick fun. The dialogue was super snappy and the cinematography was quite good. Since I am not enamored of the Star Trek franchise to begin with, I can approach this movie from a more neutral stand-point and just compare it to other comic/sci-fi outings from the last few years and I have to say Into Darkness is one of the better genre films of the last few years. Expand
  5. May 27, 2013
    The movie was very well done considering this is a different time line. I felt at home with the new crew, and it felt like I was once again watching my favorite characters from the original series. The action was great, the effects were as it should be. The plot was a great beginning. It wasn't close to Space Seed, but I really get sick of movies trying to re-do the exact same movie,The movie was very well done considering this is a different time line. I felt at home with the new crew, and it felt like I was once again watching my favorite characters from the original series. The action was great, the effects were as it should be. The plot was a great beginning. It wasn't close to Space Seed, but I really get sick of movies trying to re-do the exact same movie, usually always falling short. This was different, and refreshingly so.. if you want an exact replica of Space Seed, or even Wrath of Khan, go rent those and watch em; you won't like this movie. If you want a fresh story of Khan, this was wonderfully done, and the characters were spot on! Expand
  6. May 17, 2013
    This movie had plenty of great action from start to finish. The plot is twisted but once you realize who's who it all falls into place. A lot of great references to past Trek episodes and a plot twist that will make you say WHOA!!!! instead of WHAT??? Best movie of the summer so far.
  7. May 19, 2013
    watch this in IMAX and hold on to your seats, story wise its all been there Kahn that but everything else is pretty damn captivating. holy smokes this had me on edge from the get go. still i do hope they do something more original the next go round.
  8. May 31, 2013
    Read full review here: http://youngthespian42films.blogspot.com/2013/05/star-trek-into-darkness-review.html

The Skinny: The brilliance of this movie is the social commentary is there only if you want to see. This movie is first and foremost an action movie and I will end it by repeating that. Abrams has crafted a near perfect Star Trek, because it satisfies on most every level.

The Skinny:

The brilliance of this movie is the social commentary is there only if you want to see. This movie is first and foremost an action movie and I will end it by repeating that. Abrams has crafted a near perfect Star Trek, because it satisfies on most every level. There is plenty of inside baseball jokes and references to please the legion of obsessive fans. The story and characters are clear enough where one could walk in and know nothing Star Trek and enjoy a hell of movie. The social commentary is there if you want it and it biting and real. Though the last 20 minutes are a little rough it is a step form Great to good. I would watch the worst scene of this movie for three hours over any of most of the Sci-Fi offerings of the last decade (Avatar, Oblivion, Star Wars prequels, Transformers, just to name a few turds).
  9. May 24, 2013
    JJ Abrams has no idea how to stage an effective action sequence, which renders this action-packed film rather redundant. Its fair enough that they decided to focus less on ideas and more on spectacle, but there was no flair in the conception or execution of any set-pieces in fact there were no real set pieces, just a relentless barrage of changing locations and flying CGI objects, allJJ Abrams has no idea how to stage an effective action sequence, which renders this action-packed film rather redundant. Its fair enough that they decided to focus less on ideas and more on spectacle, but there was no flair in the conception or execution of any set-pieces in fact there were no real set pieces, just a relentless barrage of changing locations and flying CGI objects, all filmed with an artlessly roving shaky camera. A good action sequence is predicated on suspense, environment, and clear objectives, and it does matter whether the viewer can clearly discern what exactly is going on in any frame.

The positive reception towards this kind of film makes me worry that modern audiences are forming a kind of pavlovian response to fast cuts and loud bangs. Thankfully directors like Alfonso Cuaron still know how to construct a decent action sequence so I guess there's still hope after all.
  10. May 16, 2013
    Love the movie, very watchable for me. I think if you're not a fan, you'll enjoy yourself, it's action-packed, funny, full of quirky relationships. If you're a fan, it can go two ways. You reject this as a desecration of the original TV series or you'll embrace it as a jazzy improvisation of the original. I'm that third option. Funny enough, I don't mind the changes, and I love it thatLove the movie, very watchable for me. I think if you're not a fan, you'll enjoy yourself, it's action-packed, funny, full of quirky relationships. If you're a fan, it can go two ways. You reject this as a desecration of the original TV series or you'll embrace it as a jazzy improvisation of the original. I'm that third option. Funny enough, I don't mind the changes, and I love it that they keep winking at the old ones, without getting in the way of the story. Expand
  11. May 19, 2013
    Inundated with aesthetically breath-taking visuals, bolstered with a clever narrative though bordering on the convoluted, ameliorated by an inspired take on an iconic Starfleet adversary, and seasoned with a measure of treachery, deceit and duplicity, Star Trek Into Darkness is blockbuster entertainment on the grandest scale. Undaunted by the runaway success of its predecessor, it boldlyInundated with aesthetically breath-taking visuals, bolstered with a clever narrative though bordering on the convoluted, ameliorated by an inspired take on an iconic Starfleet adversary, and seasoned with a measure of treachery, deceit and duplicity, Star Trek Into Darkness is blockbuster entertainment on the grandest scale. Undaunted by the runaway success of its predecessor, it boldly sores into the stratosphere as a revitalized intergalactic colossus transcending the modern day science fiction genre. On its Vulcan side, Star Trek Into Darkness is an intelligently scripted, sophisticated and shrewd specimen. On its human side it is frequently tempestuous, regularly humorous and every so often affectionate, it spectacles the conflict of human emotions in the most turbulent of times. Furthermore, beset with nostalgia soaked token nods and references to Star Trek’s of old, teeming with witty dialogue, and awash with exhilarating action, J.J. Abrams’ second enterprising effort in the celebrated series has plenty to satisfy obstinate Trekkies and casual moviegoers alike.

Star Trek Into Darkness is a science fiction action-adventure movie co-produced and directed by J.J. Abrams. It is the twelfth feature-length film entry in the Star Trek franchise and the sequel to Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek reboot, based on the Star Trek science fiction entertainment franchise created and established by Gene Roddenberry in the mid-1960s. It commences with the U.S.S. Enterprise and its plucky crew whose exploratory voyage has steered them in the direction of a primitive civilization on the fictional-Class M planet Nibiru. When Starfleet’s General Order number 1, the Prime Directive is infringed the impetuous yet cunning Captain James T. Kirk is summoned back to Earth where he is reduced in rank from captain to first officer under Admiral Christopher Pike’s command who reoccupies control of the Enterprise. Simultaneously, an unrelenting and inexorable former Starfleet Commander, Jon Harrison has instigated and launched an attack on a top-secret Starfleet installation on Earth. When Starfleet’s high-ranking officers’ lives are put in jeopardy at the hands of Harrison, Kirk with personal retribution on his agenda re-assumes captaincy of the Enterprise, and he and his crew embark on a mission of vengeance behind enemy lines to seize a supposed former comrade who’s appetite for devastation knows no bounds. As the Enterprise and its crew are catapulted into darkness at warp speed, it soon becomes apparent that everything is not as it seems; a far-reaching web of deceit and duplicity is untangled leading to an epic showdown where allegiances will be brought into question and sacrifices will have to be made.

Reprising his role from Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek is Chris Pine, who uniform to his previous outing provides a stellar performance as James T. Kirk, the courageous, self-assured captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise renowned for his many female exploits and his end justifies the means view on Starfleet orders. His portrayal of the fabled Captain Kirk is akin to that of William Shatner in his finest hour. Also reprising his role from Star Trek Into Darkness’ predecessor is Zachary Quinto as Kirk’s notorious cohort aboard the Enterprise, the unyielding, super-intelligent half-Vulcan half-human Spock. Quintos’ portrayal of Spock is exemplary, markedly and strikingly similar to that of Leonard Nimoy, the original Mister Spock otherwise known as Spock Prime. His “unintentionally” condescending normative judgement afforded for any of Kirk’s dubious commands and his golden lecture like recitals of Starfleet directive are first-class. In consort with his razor-sharp retorts packed full of wit and his exemplification of emotional discovery, Quinto provides the movies stand-out performance amongst other remarkable character interpretations including that provided by Benedict Cumberbatch who plays the films main antagonist, the malevolent and genetically advanced former Starfleet Commander Jon Harrison. Cumberbatch is suitably menacing and articulates Harrison’s dialogue in an especially chilling manner. In addition to this, his animated facial expressions and piercing stares mould an ominous character that translates on-screen to a believable and genuine threat to Starfleet and to the Enterprise. Karl Urban returning as Leonard “Bones” McCoy with his cranky nostalgic wisecracks and gags is great, and Zoe Saldana reprising her character of Uhura is particularly good in her intimate scenes with Quinto/Spock, which divulge the plights in their strained relationship.

Full review available at: http://thetoddsmoviereviewblog.blogspot.co.uk
  12. May 22, 2013
    Historia paralela a la original. De forma original, buena fotografia, escenarios, aunque no se le dio importancia a los personajes secundarios.

Parallel to the original story. But original, good photography, excellent scenarios, although not given the real importance to the secondary characters.
  13. Jun 12, 2013
    I am not particularly a Star Trek fan. I appreciate it's contributions to television and film, but it is just something I never got into.

This movie was really great. I went into it without many expectations and left pleased. The characters develop in realistic ways and romantic love isn't a central theme (like it is in a ton of movies these days). If you are looking for lots of

If you are looking for lots of twists and surprises, check this movie out. Great cast and great writing.
  14. Jun 4, 2013
    I will begin by stating that I am not a Star Trek fan which may invalidate my opinion to fans of the series, which I understand being that I am a Star Wars fan and have already gone through the painful process of having the cannon of a franchise I love turned to utter Basically it's a dumb action franchise with a beloved name attatched to it, if you can get past that, you can enjoy it (II will begin by stating that I am not a Star Trek fan which may invalidate my opinion to fans of the series, which I understand being that I am a Star Wars fan and have already gone through the painful process of having the cannon of a franchise I love turned to utter Basically it's a dumb action franchise with a beloved name attatched to it, if you can get past that, you can enjoy it (I did) if you can't stand the thought of a sacred cow being butchered and sold at a discount, then for the love of God spare yourself the agony. Expand
  15. May 17, 2013
    It's an obvious aspect of the film-making industry that many sequels just don't match up to the originals. J.J. Abrams and the cast of Star Trek: Into Darkness were able to avoid a slump in their sophomore follow-up, and that is impressive in its own right. However, the acting shines through, with truly emotional scenes between intense action sequences, and the film flows extremely wellIt's an obvious aspect of the film-making industry that many sequels just don't match up to the originals. J.J. Abrams and the cast of Star Trek: Into Darkness were able to avoid a slump in their sophomore follow-up, and that is impressive in its own right. However, the acting shines through, with truly emotional scenes between intense action sequences, and the film flows extremely well throughout.

J.J. Abrams choices of scenes and environments has always been a strong suit of his, one which he used to full effect in the first Star Trek in 2009. In "Into Darkness", the environments are used to great effect, from the opening scenes to the final shots in the credits.

The soundtrack is wonderful, making the viewer feel the emotions of the scenes. Of course, the theme is the highlight of them all.

The acting is wonderful. Without knowing that Benedict Cumberbatch was going to be in it, nor with the knowledge of the character he portrayed, I was impacted by his performance. Midway through the film his portrayal made me second guess myself every couple of minutes. The relationship between Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Kirk (Chris Pine) was masterfully done in both dialogue and the performance of said dialogue. Pine and Quinto's on-screen relationship is a wonder to see, creating layers and depth to Spock and Kirk's relationship. In addition, the rest of the cast is well acted again, a testament to how well each actor and actress fits into their role.

It was a great follow-up to the first Star Trek reboot, definitely worthy of continuing the series.
  16. May 23, 2013
    This movie is brilliant. I don't know what else to say. Just go see it, trust me, you'll love it. Funny, smart and holy crap the villain is played by a brilliant actor you might recognize if you watch big shot British TV. Definitely got my bang for the buck.
  17. May 24, 2013
    Great Villain, but I could of used a little bit more humor then the non stop gloom. The non stop action is great, but this movie seems like its trying very hard to be just like the dark knight. The villain and action are enough to warrant a ticket purchase. The 3-D was good, but not as good as iron mans. Overall can't really complain about much besides the fact it isn't as good as the original.
  18. Jun 6, 2013
    J.J. Abrams and the crew of The Enterprise return for Star Trek Into Darkness, the sequel to the surprisingly successful 2009 reboot that silenced Trekkie naysayers the world over. J.J. Abrams continues to surprise by accomplishing something rarely achieved in film franchises… creating a sequel that is better than the original. The success of the first film was largely thanks to theJ.J. Abrams and the crew of The Enterprise return for Star Trek Into Darkness, the sequel to the surprisingly successful 2009 reboot that silenced Trekkie naysayers the world over. J.J. Abrams continues to surprise by accomplishing something rarely achieved in film franchises… creating a sequel that is better than the original. The success of the first film was largely thanks to the spot-on casting of familiar characters developed over 11 films and four television series; specifically Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, respectively. The same is true of the latest installment which keeps the spirit of these beloved characters alive while taking some clever liberties that cement Star Trek Into Darkness as the greatest blockbuster of the year thus far.

Star Trek Into Darkness starts off on a distant planet whose inhabitants are at risk of an active volcano that could wipe out the entire primitive civilization. It is up to the crew of the Enterprise to lay the volcano to rest while going unnoticed by the indigenous population (per a Starfleet mandate that Spock is only too happy to continuously remind Kirk about). Captain Kirk and Bones (Karl Urban) distract the native people in a mad dash that sets the pace for the film and makes the most of the vivid CGI and 3D technology, while Spock is lowered into the volcano to activate a device that will render the volcano inert. Inevitably the plan fails and Spock is trapped in the belly of the volcano causing Kirk to violate the mandate, despite the ever-logical thinking Spock’s insistence on sacrificing himself for the greater good.

No good deed goes unpunished as Captain Kirk loses command of the Enterprise, becoming First Mate under Admiral Pike (Bruce Greenwood), while Commander Spock gets reassigned as a result of Kirk’s reckless behavior and inability to take responsibility for his actions. While still brooding over his demotion, a bomb goes off at Starfleet’s main archives in London. Kirk and the rest of the crew, including Spock, Bones, Uhura (Zoe Saldana), Sulu (John Cho), Scotty (Simon Pegg), Checkov (Anton Yelchin), and a sexy stowaway (Alice Eve) are back onboard the Enterprise and off to kill the man responsible for the attack against the archives. The man responsible being none other than Starfleet agent John Harrison played by a brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch, whose onscreen presence threatens to steal the spotlight from the rest of the cast.

The Enterprise is in a race against the clock to track down and eliminate Harrison that has them bouncing from London to Kronos, the home world of the Klingons, and galaxies in-between at warp speed. Enraged by Harrison’s wanton betrayal, Captain Kirk is an emotional mess whose desperation to kill the Harrison is palpable, despite the rest of the crew’s reluctance to kill Harrison without a fair trial. It is here that Star Trek Into Darkness finds its major theme hinted at in the opening sequence of the film how do our feelings affect the choices we make, specifically in the gray area where the line of right and wrong is blurred? To remain as free of spoilers as possible I will simply say that the manhunt for Harrison offers the opportunity for some fun-filled action sequences that pit Kirk and Spock against Harrison, whose super-human strength and intellect prove to be more than a match for the duo.

The film rings true to J.J. Abrams fashion with its fair share of lens flares and twists that will have you guessing and second-guessing what will happen next. The members of the supporting cast aid Star Trek into Darkness with romance and comedic relief; Scotty’s quips and wit bring ease to the intense film, and Uhura, in the midst of a lover’s quarrel with Spock, provides a heartfelt edge to the blockbuster. Characters such as Chekov and Sulu, who saw major roles in the first film, take a back seat to the emergence of new characters and the heart-pounding performances of the Star Trek franchise’s main characters. Writing credits go to Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon Lindelof who manage to deliver a fresh film that pays homage to the original series. Star Trek Into Darkness is a triumphant blockbuster that offers more than its predecessor more action, more laughs, and more heart.
  19. Jun 12, 2013
    I absolutely loved it!! Strong character development, a flowing storyline, and pretty much non-stop action!!

Allthough, like its predecessor it moves away from the original Star Trek feel, it is brilliant nonetheless. I enjoyed the old Trek movies, but was never a huge fan due to the lack of action in them. (Yes I'm a Star Wars fan :p ) The last 2 Trek movies were truly enjoyable,

The last 2 Trek movies were truly enjoyable, and I can't wait for the next one!!!
  20. Jun 21, 2013
    I thought the previous film was ok but this time around abrams tried to repeat the same trick and it didn't really work for me. I gave the first film a 7 but since this didn't change anything which is bad in my opinion I will mark it down to a 5.
  21. Jun 22, 2013
    I'm by no means a Star Trek fan. The only Star Trek I've seen it the 2009 one and Wrath of Khan which I both enjoyed a fair bit. This movie is fast, gorgeous, and slick, but also loud and dumb. And the more you think about it, the more you realize how loud and dumb it is. I wish there were some more cerebral moments, oh well. It has good performances all around with some of the dialogueI'm by no means a Star Trek fan. The only Star Trek I've seen it the 2009 one and Wrath of Khan which I both enjoyed a fair bit. This movie is fast, gorgeous, and slick, but also loud and dumb. And the more you think about it, the more you realize how loud and dumb it is. I wish there were some more cerebral moments, oh well. It has good performances all around with some of the dialogue being great and some being cheesy. I liked Spock and Kirk a lot, and the villain starts out good, too, but then warp drives into a cliche, cheesy mess. What a waste of potential. And the ending was terrible as you knew exactly what was going to happen. But it was never boring, it had some pretty cool moments, it had something to actually about terrorism, and it was entertaining Expand
  22. Jun 29, 2013
    Simply amazing and epic, Star Trek Into Darkness was a worth-penny viewing in big-screens movie. It was a complex movie but yet J.J Abrams come up a solution to make it very watchable and understandable. I never knew Star Trek movie for sure before I watch this one. But after I watch the this second sequel, I come to in love with this 'Star Trek' Sequel. This movie was one epic movies.
  23. May 19, 2013
    Perfect Gratification!
    Perfect Gratification!
    Star Trek Into Darkness is perfection in CGI, science, space travel, military content, current events, and damned near everything else you can think of. The references to the original series, changed by the alternate reality, were creative and fluid. This film is IT. That's all I can say. On a separate note: I respect and was deeply touched by the note in the credits to the 9/11 victims and heroes. With our current sociopolitical climate, this is not popular. It took a lot of courage and touched me deeply. Thank you for creating a film with finesse and extraordinary creativity and forethought. This film has set a new standard. Outstanding!
  24. Sep 7, 2013
    Once the final credits appeared, everything was explained: "J. J. Abrams", the most "over-(beyond moral ethics)-rated" person in the planet Earth. Now, he managed to become a true Series/Movies Assassin...
  25. May 15, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness promises a more gripping story, but ultimately fails to reach any great heights. Not a bad film its just a cliched high budget film. One issue i found annoying was when watching the movie in 3d items in the foreground were blurred and distracting. Final point see the movie don't buy the game
  26. Jun 16, 2013
    Thoroughly action packed, fun all the way through, this second installment of the alternative timeline Star Trek was a fun ride. The only overriding flaw and what prevents a 10 relate to my disappointment in how a core story arch of the Star Trek series has now been exhausted. I felt it could have been so much better with modern day filmmaking. Then again, I'm not shelling out money toThoroughly action packed, fun all the way through, this second installment of the alternative timeline Star Trek was a fun ride. The only overriding flaw and what prevents a 10 relate to my disappointment in how a core story arch of the Star Trek series has now been exhausted. I felt it could have been so much better with modern day filmmaking. Then again, I'm not shelling out money to see old movies rehashed either. So if you're a fan of the previous Star Treks, you may need to check some of your loyalties to the previous movies at the door and recognize that this is a new, albeit extremely fun, direction.

Already anxiously awaiting the 3rd installment.
  27. Aug 21, 2013
    A pesar de que su predecesora Star Trek (2009) es bastante mejor, Star Trek into Darkness no queda atrás y entrega unos efectos especiales de última generación, visualmente espectacular y nos da un orígen de la serie de TV y películas originales de una manera genial.
  28. May 21, 2013
    I'm sure J.J. Abrams and his smug writing team felt bad that poor Gene Roddenberry didn't leave to see STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS, but as irony would have it, he did.
  29. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'Into Darkness' opens with a visually stunning chase through a blood-red forest, with Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) and Bones (Karl Urban) being pursued by spear-throwing aliens, while Spock (Zachary Quinto) lies stranded in an erupting volcano. It's a great start, and the pace seldom drops from this point on. But the real story involves Kirk leading the Enterprise crew in an intergalactic manhunt for mysterious new villain John Harrison (a chilling Benedict Cumberbatch) after he makes a devastating attack on Starfleet.
    Expectedly there are some thrilling set-pieces and big explosions, but the film is engaging as much for the squabbling bromance between Kirk and Spock. Abrams knows that a good blockbuster isn't just about spectacle, but also about characters, and he confronts his protagonists with difficult questions about loyalty and death.
    I'm going with three-and-a-half out of five for 'Star Trek: Into Darkness'. If you're willing to suspend disbelief, and even embrace the illogical, you'll be rewarded with a film that doesn't bore you even for a minute.
  30. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is a serious continuity error, concerning the fate of Captain Pike. In this movie he dies, while in the original TV series it is clear that he lived and was paralyzed.

One thing that was highly awaited: after almost 50 year there is FINALLY a failure of the artificial gravity.
  31. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. JJ Abrams sticks close to the franchise in this movie, his first Star Trek movie was a good way to reboot the show with an alternate reality, but it had some flaws, like a weak villain..

Now with this long awaited sequel (at least for my part) he succeeds at mostly everything in this movie. It is such an homage to one of the best Star Trek films, Wrath of Khan, and to me it even surpass it. The cast has great chemistry and truly works as the crew of The Enterprise.

The villain in this movie is also one of the better villains in a long time, Benedict Cumberbatch does a truly amazing job as the villain in this movie. The true stars is still Kirk and Spock, but they do give more screen time for the other characters, which is a great thing.

There are some truly clever references in this movie, and a very well done twist of sorts. And they have true klingons in this movie to that truly are ruthless and brutal.

This is to me the best movie since The Hobbit, and the ending of this movie gave me goosbumbs, one of the best Star Trek movies ever, and actually my second favorite movie after First Contact, and it sits side by side with Wrath of Khan.
  32. May 17, 2013
    Haven't had a better 2 hours of silly fun at the movies this year. Great performances of iconic characters, terrific production values and a fun twist on an old villain. Enjoy.
  33. May 20, 2013
    I'm new to the star trek series so I can not compare this to previous films but, I can say this was a good introduction. The story is very good and the characters are very memorable, as they were before, and just when you think the movies over it's not, and then it does it again.
  34. Jun 24, 2013
    Not as good as the reboot that came out 4 years ago or even close to Star trek 2 but it is still a highlight of this years track of movies which seems to have a lot of competition surrounding it.
  35. May 15, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is truly the ultimate "trek" experience It has everything in it that a trek film requires. The new take on the klingons is fantastic and the banter between the cast is just like watching the original series. Just like in the 2009 film jj abrahms has succeeded in creating an amazing experienc
  36. May 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let us first imagine that we are truly going where no one has gone before. That being the case, this movie took us to new places while still giving us something old to hang on to. That being said, there were some issues.

Spoilers start here:

Ok, the great mystery villain is Khan. Great anti-Kirk villain. However, those that remember the original series also know that Khan was found in deep space while on the 5 year mission aboard the Botany Bay. However you introduce him, Khan is Khan. Badass and take no prisoners.

Kirk on the other hand is all over the place. emo, angry and valiant in the end. The should-he-be-captain argument was well played in the first movie but lacked a bit of the same punch in this one.

Action was spot on fun. I decided to avoid the 3D as I am not a fan but I can imagine that this movie in 3D would sparkle. The story was a bit....incoherent at times such as the death of Kirk. Yes I said the death of Kirk. Which looking at the film might have truly been my biggest problem. Look, I have grown up around Star Trek and all the movies. Star Trek II TWoK is not to be blasphemed in the eyes of most true Trekkies. So what did JJ do? He turned around the entire scene and we replayed the final moments of that original and turned it around where Kirk dies instead of Spock. Spock screaming the infamous Shatner "Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan" somewhat missed the mark for me and the radiation damage done to Kirk's skin was not there compared to the makeup done for Spock. Speaking of Spock, the enjoyment of the original series was that Kirk was clever enough with the help of his crew to outwit any adversary. I did not care for Spock calling on his older self to seek answers on how to win. Seemed anti-climatic.

This movie was a coming of age movie for Kirk the character and starts the new 5 year mission. I am unsure on how JJ could top himself on a 3rd movie as ST2 was more than adequately robbed of material. But, there are good Trek stories still yet to be told.

I struggle with assigning a numeric rating to this movie because it really was a good movie minus the death of Kirk and the unoriginality of that entire scene. Even with that being said, I still very much liked the movie and I can understand the alternate timeline issues that make this series fresh.
  37. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To start off this review, I'd like to say that this Star Trek movie was much better and more interesting than the previous one. Not only that here the two hour length made much more sense (because the previous one was too long and boring). Spock was better written this time, he evolved and was even rather funny. CGwise the movie was also much much better. The bad guys here are Khan and the admiral, both portrayed briliantly. There are also many references to the first movies and TV-shows. The only cons are that Khan (in his fight with Spock) was much more honorable than anyone would be that whole fist-fight felt scripted and that there simply has to be an antagonist (this is becoming a cliché). There could simply be a movie with it's own plot. Expand
  38. May 25, 2013
    It's difficult for me to find a movie I can't criticize in any way.
    Today I watched one of the fews.
    I expected a lot, because I love the Star Trek series and movies and I got even more than what I expected. I think Abrams is a genius and it's incredible how he managed to permate all the movie with pure star trek essence. The chracters are perfect. Pace is perfect. Dialogues are
    It's difficult for me to find a movie I can't criticize in any way.
    Today I watched one of the fews.
    The chracters are perfect.
    Pace is perfect.
    Dialogues are great.
    The funny moments are perfect in terms of timing and being funny but not silly or stupid.
    And perfectly similar to those in the original series.
    Visual effects, photography, lights are perfect.
    I could not vote less than 10 for this movie because I really can't think of a flaw... if not that it ended.
  39. Jun 9, 2013
    This truly is one of THE best movies i watched in last decade! I'm really glad that sci fi genre is getting more and more attention, better and better stories! I was a fan of old Star Trek as well but honestly i'm fan of sci fi genre first... New Star Trek has a lot more then just superb CGI new cast is fantastic! I like that they are creating all new parallel universe of Star Trek it'sThis truly is one of THE best movies i watched in last decade! I'm really glad that sci fi genre is getting more and more attention, better and better stories! I was a fan of old Star Trek as well but honestly i'm fan of sci fi genre first... New Star Trek has a lot more then just superb CGI new cast is fantastic! I like that they are creating all new parallel universe of Star Trek it's darker it's better... more thought has been put in new stories! Human imagination has no limits and thanks to better and better effects imagination is little closer to reality! We all like to get lost in some imaginary world to have fun..

After projection was over i was like WOW! I watched it in 3D and i must say it is best 3D out there!

MUST SEE!
  40. Jun 23, 2013
    Star Trek into darkness is a great movie a great movie and a worthy remake of the wrath of Khan!!!!!!!!! And if you didn't like this movie go yourself
  41. Aug 8, 2013
    I was never a big Trek fan but Into Darkness was a movie that I was pleasantly surprised with and wouldn't mind watching again. The performance by Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing and I was not disappointed by any moment. It had a good plot and the best part about it is that the action scenes were nicely put together and didn't in anyway like it was forced.
  42. Apr 12, 2015
    Choosing one word to sum up our rating for this movie would be difficult. It was simply disappointing, cheesy, fake, and not something we were able to take seriously.

The cast seemed completely wrong, especially for Kirk and Spock. Besides being out of character throughout the majority of the film, both actors just didn't seem right for their characters. The romance with Spock and Uhura seemed out of place and random. While I liked some parts of Khan's character and performance, other parts were not believable, and just ridiculous. Most of the cast was acceptable, but still could have been done better.

The entire film as a whole seemed disjointed and choppy. The flow was all off, and the transitions between situations and plot twists was painful, at best. There were several areas that had mistakes worthy of the original Star Wars trilogy, which made the whole thing seem cheap and lacking the proper care or effort.

For as much hype as this film had before it's release, we were expecting a whole lot more from it. This isn't a movie we'll be watching again any time soon, and is not one we would recommend to anyone, especially a fan of other Star Trek versions.
  43. May 15, 2013
    I suppose it’s only logical that after the success of the “Star Trek” reboot, back in 2009, we see a sequel to it enter “Star Trek: Into Darkness” a bigger and bolder sequel, but does that guarantee success?
    Like the movie’s predecessor it follows the adventures of Kirk and Spock. The movie starts off pretty fast with Kirk and Spock already on a mission on primitive alien planet. After the mission Kirk is relieved from duty and at the same time John Harrison, the movie’s main bad guy, blows up a Starfleet library this kicks in the movie’s main plot and this is where I’ll stop, because that would mean to go into spoiler territory.
    I wouldn’t call the plot mind-blowing, because it doesn’t reinvent the formula if you’ve seen movies like “The Dark Knight Rises” or “Iron Man 3” you’ll find a handful of similarities here. Though, the plot does have a few nice moments taken from the original films which would make a fan smile.
    The part which “Star Trek: Into Darkness” nails are the characters, for the most part at least. Chris Pine feels like a different Kirk by having to face the fact that people can die during his mission and that there won’t be anything he can do to save them. Zachary Quinto is also a different Spock due to his relationship with Uhura. Though, the standout performance here is from Benedict Cumberbatch. His character (“John Harrison”) is the thing that was missing from the previous film a strong main antagonist. Despite being a quiet dreadful villain he still has his moments of sympathy where you feel sorry for him.
    I think J.J.Abrams’s work should be also noted here. It was really nice seeing all the big and small nods to the original films and also it seemed as if the lens flares were toned down this time around. Good work Abrams.
    One thing that I sort of didn’t like was the ending. At one point it felt that the movie would actually have the balls to do something that big, but “nope”, said the movie 10 minutes later and pulled a “Bruce Wayne”. Another (smaller) thing that I didn’t like, was the lack of depth which the older "Star Trek" movies had.
    To sum things up, “Star Trek: Into Darkness” isn’t only a great sequel, but also a great standalone film, because you don’t necessarily need to have seen the previous movie to enjoy this one.
  44. May 23, 2013
    This is not the Star Trek at all I grew up with that put forward thought-provoking themes, a strong moral base, and social commentary. The license has been turned into an appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator exercise of ADHD pacing and moar splosions! Further, you can pick out the bits where the producers forced clin d'oeuils to the original-cast movie (and if you're familiar with theThis is not the Star Trek at all I grew up with that put forward thought-provoking themes, a strong moral base, and social commentary. The license has been turned into an appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator exercise of ADHD pacing and moar splosions! Further, you can pick out the bits where the producers forced clin d'oeuils to the original-cast movie (and if you're familiar with the original movie on which this is pseudo base you'll cringe at each clumsily-inserted line). If they would have just stuck with a non-contrived plot where the movie seemed to be going for the first 2/3 it would have been much better.

That said, the screenplay is well done (up to the last 20 min) and it's sure fun to watch. I'd recommend it over Iron Man 3, but don't expect anything more than a hammy action-fest.
  45. tjq
    May 17, 2013
    I've been a Trek fan for at least 30 years. This film is easily the best Trek and the best movie I've seen in years.
    Abrams brings a great respect for the source material and combines it with the perfect vehicle for continuing voyages. I'll admit: I wasn't completely sold on the alternative time line thing at first. Now, I think it was a brilliant move.
    I haven't enjoyed a movie this
    I haven't enjoyed a movie this much since I was a child.
    And to all the "die hards" with the "0" ratings: all I have to say to you is "Cat's Paw", "Turnabout Intruder" and any other pure dreck from TOS. The new series capture all of the spirit that Roddenberry created and reframed it beautifully. The characters are alive and like the best of old Trek, the new films are about their relationships.
  46. Oct 24, 2013
    I'm not a big fan of Star Trek. I'm just a newcomer who loves to enjoy some movies. So I was about to get into Star Trek even more and find out what it is and what all the fuss about. Because of that, I watch the 2009 Reboot by J.J. Abrams which was actually pretty good.

But this one... eh.... Straight to the point, the movie isn't really that bad. The characters do their job right.

But this one... eh....

Straight to the point, the movie isn't really that bad. The characters do their job right. They are relatable and likeable.

But let's start off with the good things. The villain of the reboot isn't that memorable or relatable to say in the least. His motivations doesn't make sense and he's just a bit off. But the villain in this movie played by Benedict Cumberbatch has done a fantastic job. He's menacing, threatening, dangerously intelligent, and basically a superhuman.

My problem with the movie is the plot and that is a major problem.

The first 30 minutes of the movie is very interesting. It builds up a lot into the villain and there's a motivation for Kirk of why he should pursue the guy. There's a clear indication that there will be a character development for Kirk. There IS but I'm just disappointed in how little there is.

The intro is a bit unrelated though. It's just there just for the sake of showing some actions and some conflicts with Kirk and Spock that is basically resolved in the middle of the movie which is rather disappointing. The movie introduces so many interesting conflicts that could build up into a resolution and thus developing more interesting characters, but they got resolved too quickly which is quite the bummer.

The plot of this movie is surprisingly predictable and I'm noting that as one of the negative points of this movie. Halfway through the movie, I've seen plot points and what's going to happen. It's nice and everything on making the viewers to actually think of what's going to happen, but the thing is the predictable plot points are childishly simple which is rather unfitting.

And the movie concludes in some of the most awkward ways I couldn't think of.

A lot of peoples have said that the ending is basically destroying JJ Abram's Star Trek Franchise. I'm not going to spoil it, but the ending is basically a mixed bag between sad and motivational with insulting and lame. Now, speaking as just a movie fan and not a Star Trek fan (in which they despised the ending), I thought the ending was just fine. It's surely a bit rushed but I thought it was fine.

But overall, Star Trek Into Darkness was a disappointment. It's not really the best summer movies out there, but I enjoyed it despite of the flaws. It's a 6/10. At least it's not the same pattern that the older movies had which is basically bad-good-bad-good-bad-good and so forth. But at least good-okay is better than good-bad.
  47. Jun 23, 2013
    There is no consistency in the plot at all: while some prompts are given during the film, no explanation on the most interesting hints are made: what's the role of the Klingons? What's behind those Federation treason? Which is the argument between Uhura and Spock? Just: Spock I saved you. Well: Kirk let me just do the same. In between: 120 minutes of harassment and the topic clearly copiedThere is no consistency in the plot at all: while some prompts are given during the film, no explanation on the most interesting hints are made: what's the role of the Klingons? What's behind those Federation treason? Which is the argument between Uhura and Spock? Just: Spock I saved you. Well: Kirk let me just do the same. In between: 120 minutes of harassment and the topic clearly copied and pasted (backwards) from the most appreciated Star Trek movie ever. Expand
  48. May 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw the first reboot Star Trek film I was taken out of the theatre and onto a great adventure. With the second installment I literally felt EXACTLY the same way, I couldn't believe it. While the use of Khan was not the best decision they could have made, I still loved this movie. Expand
  49. May 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superlatives simply won't do justice to this film. Loved the first in the reboot series and this carries on the same quality. Felt that linking back to future Spock was a bit unnecessary but that aside the film was excellent. Expand
  50. Jun 17, 2013
    Not a hardcore Trek fan but I really liked this movie. I think the cast has great chemistry. I like the Kirk-Spock dynamic and then how Khan's character played into it. I hope they all come back for a third.
  51. May 20, 2013
    This movie has it all. Action, twists, betrayal, revenge, love, and friendship are all present in this suspenseful new installment of Star Trek. It stays true to the foundation of the 2009 film, and it's a must see for all!!!
  52. Jun 4, 2013
    I saw this movie in 3D a few weeks ago. It was good but I was expecting more. However, it does not mean that the movie is bad. It is a very good follow up to the first movie.
  53. May 19, 2013
    Absolutely loved this movie. I was happily surprised when it still had the great humor from the original, something I thought the movie would lose based on its competition. However, aside from the humor, the story was much more dramatic than the original and somehow they managed to make the action even better.
  54. May 28, 2013
    Star Trek is one of my absolute favorite franchises of all time. Ever since watching the first reboot in the series 4 years ago, I was completely blown away by everything the film had to offer. But it wasn't just the story, the special effects, or the feeling of the movie......it was the casting. The characters replicated the original actors so well it was startling to me. Kirk was aStar Trek is one of my absolute favorite franchises of all time. Ever since watching the first reboot in the series 4 years ago, I was completely blown away by everything the film had to offer. But it wasn't just the story, the special effects, or the feeling of the movie......it was the casting. The characters replicated the original actors so well it was startling to me. Kirk was a rambunctious younger version of his older self but still kept his familiar charisma, Spock was intelligent but you could still see glimpses of his human half that set himself apart from other Vulcans, and Bones played the sarcastic and ever complaining doctor so well he could be even better than the original man himself. The difference between this movie and the previous film 4 years ago, is the casting isn't quite up to par with what the 2009's prequel did perfectly. Dr. Carol Marcus, who would have played the part of Kirk's before-mentioned wife excellently, is instead another Hollywood "must have" in the rules of modern film making. At the beginning of the movie she is introduced very abruptly, talking like an American, which is what she was. The next time you see her in the film, she suddenly has the Transformer's worthy British accent that just makes you question whether it's fake or not. Our ultimate villain Khan is played spectacularly well by Benedict Cumberbatch. The only problem is that casting him wasn't the right move to play a character from a Spanish decent. Khan's persona is just simply not shown in Cumberbatch. It's not his fault, he just wasn't the person meant to play as Khan. He still does the job as a villain fantastically so praise must be given to him for the role he was given to play. The movie's action is so spellbinding and intense it was crazy. I didn't feel like anything went too fast......except for the last couple scenes. The ending is really intense and quite a twist to those who grew attached to the "The Wrath of Khan". Spock's character to me felt a little butchered though. The heavy handed political statements really affected his persona in the movie, at which Spock seemed a little nagging to Kirk for trying to stop a man that had killed almost a hundred people. And this is where the political comes in to the game. I won't spoil what happens but it's noticeable. Still I could enjoy the movie even with it, as it wasn't really resounding in the film, as this is a Star Trek film. Whether this film is just as good or better than the first film is really up to time. I really can't decide, but this is definitely an amazing film for the fans of the series. Watch....This.....Film. Seriously it's among the nest achievements in the series history. You will no doubt be shocked......and maybe a little dissapointed at the end, but it sure is something I highly recommend for all Star Trek fans. They should have just made Khan's character more.......Khan. Expand
  55. May 21, 2013
    I loved it!! This is among my favorite movies ever. I haven't been lost (in a good way) in a movie for a long time and it was great to feel that good about a movie again. So good.
  56. May 17, 2013
    The thing about the first Star Trek movie, as made by J.J. Abrams, was that it had some big shoes to fill. Star Trek's legacy has lasted nearly 50 years. From it's very beginnings in the 1960s and the constant threat of near cancellation, through 4 consecutive spinoffs, 3 of which lasted 7 years in length. It already had 6 movies with the original cast and 4 with the Next Generation cast.The thing about the first Star Trek movie, as made by J.J. Abrams, was that it had some big shoes to fill. Star Trek's legacy has lasted nearly 50 years. From it's very beginnings in the 1960s and the constant threat of near cancellation, through 4 consecutive spinoffs, 3 of which lasted 7 years in length. It already had 6 movies with the original cast and 4 with the Next Generation cast. Not to mention all the various video games, books and other content that's out there for people to absorb. Big shoes to fill might be a massive understatement given the circumstances.

Yet J.J. Abrams managed to succeed in giving old and new fans exactly what they want. A film that both respects the legacy of the previous shows, not to mention the one it's based on, and still manages to bring something to it that doesn't require new fans to understand everything about the previous version to enjoy it. J.J. Abrams has often said about the new Star Trek movies that he wanted to bring a sense of Star Wars to the Star Trek universe (a statement that some consider controversial, particularly now that he has been hired to helm the new Star Wars movies) and I think he succeeded on a certain level while maintaining what was great about Star Trek.

Personally, I've always been more of a Star Trek fan then a Star Wars fan. I enjoyed both but what attracted me to Star Trek was the sense of morality that was inherent to the way the shows worked. In the 60s, Star Trek was most often about the morality of race relations and the sense of threat that nuclear weapons posed in the face of the Cold War. With Star Trek: TNG, it focused a lot on the post-Cold War mentality, with DS9 there was talk of religious conflict and uncertainty, Voyager was most often about maintaining ideals without the structure to keep them in place, and Enterprise was about where that type of morality begins.

The first J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie never really had that moral compass behind it that I recall. I watched it again recently and I wasn't able to figure that part of it out. Thankfully, Star Trek Into Darkness didn't have that problem. It had a clear message of morality to it that was the beating heart of the story. Much like the first one however, it kept that sense of adventure and simplicity to it that made the first one a joy to watch regardless of the level of knowledge you have about the characters and the history that it comes from. It also manages to maintain a sense of humor about itself and that history which long time fans will absolutely love.

Particularly when it comes to one aspect of the story which I will not ruin for you and maintain your reason for going to see it if you're a long time Star Trek fan. Suffice to say there are expectations that people have about this film no matter what your level of interest in Star Trek is which are both met and in my opinion exceeded. For the second time J.J. Abrams has created a film that is funny, smart, action packed and emotionally honest. He understands the audience he's catering to and he's not afraid to give them what they want, but he's also not afraid to do the unexpected. He flips some expectations on their head and within the context of the story he's telling it's the best thing he could do.

I was concerned that given the title that they were going to take the story into a dark place and shift things to a place where the things I liked about Star Trek don't really apply. With the exception of a noticeable reduction in lens flairs, they haven't done it and thank god for that. There's a reason why J.J. Abrams is one of the hottest directors in Hollywood right now and Star Trek Into Darkness is proof of exactly why.

How far into Darkness can they go? Just the right amount to give us a great film that's a worthy addition to the Star Trek legacy.

For more of my reviews, go here:

57. Jun 8, 2013
    For the first time in decades, I want to see a movie again immediately.

I'm old enough to have seen Star Trek first run in the '60's. Saw Star Wars opening weekend in LA. I consider myself a Star Trek fan, not a Trekkie. I have a large library of science fiction books and movies that cover the gamut. I say all that to provide some credibility and context to this; Star Trek Into
    For the first time in decades, I want to see a movie again immediately.

I say all that to provide some credibility and context to this; Star Trek Into Darkness is a magnificent film. Not perfect, but very, very well done. I saw this in IMAX 3D and noticed some motion artifacts and ghosting but otherwise it worked well in this format.

Brilliant screenplay. Several lines that are "connectors" for fans very familiar with Trek. There are some funny moments, a couple got big laughs in my audience, but for the most part this is a serious movie that moves at a brisk clip.

Overall great work from the cast. Zachary Quinto stands out, sometimes to the point of out shining his cast mates.

Without giving anything away...and to do so is moronic...this film continues the universe Abrams created in the first film while offering a terrific, logical well built framework to link both 'old' and 'new' in brilliant fashion.

Highest recommendation. Not to be missed.
  58. Jun 2, 2013
    Here they are rebooting the series (TOS and movies), and for no reason at all the makers of this film obviously felt compelled to re-write Wrath of Kahn, and they did not even do a good job of it. Also, too much of characters talking about the personality traits of Kirk and Spock when, in one of the few things they did right, they had Kirk and Spock display their respective personalities.Here they are rebooting the series (TOS and movies), and for no reason at all the makers of this film obviously felt compelled to re-write Wrath of Kahn, and they did not even do a good job of it. Also, too much of characters talking about the personality traits of Kirk and Spock when, in one of the few things they did right, they had Kirk and Spock display their respective personalities. And, like a lot of "science fiction" over the last decade or so, "into Darkness" treats its live action characters as "impervious to injury" cartoon characters. Expand
  59. May 19, 2013
    I'm a big Star Trek fan and to see this movie made me feel like I was in another world. The movie was great visually. The story line was interesting and left you on the edge of your seat. I personally was hoping for more in this movie especially with a longer appearance of the true Spock. After finishing the movie I was left with a "is that it" feeling. Personally I enjoyed this movie andI'm a big Star Trek fan and to see this movie made me feel like I was in another world. The movie was great visually. The story line was interesting and left you on the edge of your seat. I personally was hoping for more in this movie especially with a longer appearance of the true Spock. After finishing the movie I was left with a "is that it" feeling. Personally I enjoyed this movie and wold recommend it to fan out there! Expand
  60. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very satisfied with the new Star Trek film--JJ Abrams has created an alternative world Star Trek that works well, and this film contains multiple nods to the original TV series and the previous films. I did catch one moment of Star Wars, a little voice in my head said "use the force, Jim", but all in all, the Star Trek curse is alive and well, this was Film #12 in the series. Will the whales return in the next incarnation or will we see the new Klingon war? I will be looking forward to the next film. Expand
  61. May 16, 2013
    Well acted and written sequel to the 2009 reboot. There are certain points that make you want to tear up, and certain parts that make your jaw drop. I'm not going to give anything away, but let's just say there are some newer, fresher editions to a certain race and a certain character from the original Star Trek films. The pace was just right, without ever a dull scene. Every line inWell acted and written sequel to the 2009 reboot. There are certain points that make you want to tear up, and certain parts that make your jaw drop. I'm not going to give anything away, but let's just say there are some newer, fresher editions to a certain race and a certain character from the original Star Trek films. The pace was just right, without ever a dull scene. Every line in this movie was written for each character to say with a purpose. I had a great time watching this film. Highly recommend. Can't wait for the next one! Expand
  62. May 18, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a big, loud, summer tent pole of a movie, and it succeeds in being a really fun thrill ride. All of the characters from the first movie return in this sequel to the 2009 film, Star Trek, which features all of the characters of the original 1960’s television series of the same name. If you are a fan of any of the things that I just mentioned, then you shouldStar Trek Into Darkness is a big, loud, summer tent pole of a movie, and it succeeds in being a really fun thrill ride. All of the characters from the first movie return in this sequel to the 2009 film, Star Trek, which features all of the characters of the original 1960’s television series of the same name. If you are a fan of any of the things that I just mentioned, then you should definitely see Star Trek Into Darkness. Now, I do have some critiques of the film. While the first movie in this series was intent to be an amazing spectacle, making occasional nods to the original series, this sequel seems to be more interested in paying fan service to folks who grew up with the original television series over creating a truly unique experience. There were whole sections of the movie where it seemed as though the filmmakers were ham fisting in scene after scene to pay homage to events that have played out on screen before. There seemed to be a really big missed opportunity to take characters that we thought we knew, and twist them into something unexpectedly fresh. I would have been much happier if they had simply tried to craft an original tale. As a longtime fan of the original television series, I genuinely appreciate the performances given by this new generation of actors in roles that were firmly established well before they were even born. I would love to see them continue on in their voyage for many more episodes, but I want to see them do something new. I do not need any more re-treads of old stories.

Star Trek Into Darkness B
  63. May 18, 2013
    As a big Trek fan, I truly enjoyed this alternate timeline's second installment. There was never a slow moment. I was certainly surprised by several developments but ultimately a very satisfying experience. I look forward to more adventures with this crew.
  64. May 19, 2013
    Absolutely the first movie everyone must see this summer. Benedict Cumberbatch rides high along with the films visually breathtaking digital setpieces. An undertone of every characters impending death is present throughout the entire film, which may be the films greatest strength in the short run and greatest weakness in the long run.
  65. May 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This second installment of Star Trek just doesn't flow as smoothly as the first one. Good action and visual effects like one would expect from JJ Abrams but in my opinion, this movie was not as engaging as the first one. The story and sequence of events just was not as exciting as the first one. It is still a good movie to watch for sci-fi fans as well as the Star Trekkie. A couple of flaws in the story but maybe I just didn't quite fully understand the history of the Star Trek universe. For example, why need to draw blood from Kahn when you have 72 frozen bodies to draw blood from on the starship, all of whom are genetically engineered superhumans? Expand
  66. May 25, 2013
    Having been a fan of the previous incarnation, I was impressed by the first outing (understanding that it was an origin story and was going to be a bit of a slog). I had higher hopes for this film, but it doesn't live up to it's predecessor. The plot seemed forced and contrived at times. Left me with big questions that they never answer. And just left me feeling more hollow than IHaving been a fan of the previous incarnation, I was impressed by the first outing (understanding that it was an origin story and was going to be a bit of a slog). I had higher hopes for this film, but it doesn't live up to it's predecessor. The plot seemed forced and contrived at times. Left me with big questions that they never answer. And just left me feeling more hollow than I would have expected. With the last movie, I had felt hope and maybe this would help evolve the crew into a true ensemble. While it tried, and at some points succeeded, it failed in many others. Part of the problem is tackling some of the classic mythos as they did, they should have considered that the fans would want more. We need to see how past TOS episodes that they used tied into this movie. Some are passed on as simple one or two line explanations, but others are glossed over and ignored all together. Unless you were a REAL huge fan of the entire series, it leaves you a little Lost.
    Yes, I capitalized that on purpose. It brings to mind all the unanswered and unresolved plot lines from Lost. It had so much potential and yet when I watched it, it almost seemed like there were too many chefs to spoil the soup. The plot could have easily wrapped up some questions that you would have had, except that it would have probably extended the movie by 30-60 minutes. So I wonder if it was proposed, but ended up on the cutting room floor. It's what I HOPED happened, otherwise I'm going to have some reservations about his ability to handle Star Wars.
    Lens flare has been reduced in this, which is nice. (Though there are a few points where it is overplayed, but not like the last time) Technical aspects are well executed. Something that I think J.J. has a pretty good handle on. Visually it is quite beautiful, but in the end, when all is said and done, it's still a pretty hollow experience. The plot and pacing is still something that J.J. needs to work on. There are certain answers that are owed to fans of a mythos this extensive. As long as he alienates those fans, this franchise will end much like "Enterprise." You have to make the Moms and Dads proud to introduce their kids into this world if you want it to continue. With this last outing, I'm not so sure I'll be watching it with my kids.
    Right now, this movie falls into the "Nemesis" class of Star Trek films. Great unrealized potential.
  67. May 27, 2013
    Loved this movie went to see it with my uncle and aunt. I actually had never seen the first one and have never been a star trek fan really but I was impressed. I absolutely loved Kahn he was the best character out of everyone.
  68. Jun 12, 2013
    This movei did exactly what I wanted it to do. It entertained me for the duration of the whole movie. By no means was this move great, but it wasn't bad ether. If you are looking for an action thriller that will keep you entertained for its duration then here you go.
  69. Jun 5, 2013
    I'm trying something a bit different to the other reviewers out there: a pithy review a doodle! I've got a few up so far, including one of STID:

http://sketchy-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/new-release-review-star- trek-into.html

Thoughts/ruminations/random (ideally uncouth) comments, are more than welcome.
  70. Jun 6, 2013
    If you liked the first Star Trek reboot you will want to see this one too based on just that you should see it. Star Trek Into Darkness was an excellent movie with plenty of action and Treky in it. This movie had excellent acting, A great story, and plenty of plot twist to keep you holding on to the edge of your seat entertained. I was never a Star Trek fan but then i saw the reboot and IIf you liked the first Star Trek reboot you will want to see this one too based on just that you should see it. Star Trek Into Darkness was an excellent movie with plenty of action and Treky in it. This movie had excellent acting, A great story, and plenty of plot twist to keep you holding on to the edge of your seat entertained. I was never a Star Trek fan but then i saw the reboot and I had anticipated this one thinking Mr. Abrams would deliver and boy did he. overall if you saw the reboot of Star trek and liked it then defiantly give this one a shot, though i can not speak from a true Treky stand point because i have not seen the old show's or movie's. In my opinion this one is a bit better then the reboot. Check it out. Expand
  71. Jun 10, 2013
    This is a semi-coherent 30-minute cartoon adaptation of 50 years of Star Trek, served as a 2 hour package with strong focus on action and soap drama. No science, interesting plot or much moral questioning is to be found. Somebody did a Michael Bay with this one. The concoction delivers a generic 50 percentile action movie. Use Mr. Bays work as a reference if you are undecided.
  72. Jun 12, 2013
    Great movie, love the cast minus Karl Urban. Benedict Cumberbatch is amazing as the new villain! I love the relationship between Spock and Kirk. It was funny, sweet, intense at times and overall entertaining!
  73. Jun 14, 2013
    In short, this movie is awesome. Fun pacing and the chemistry between the actors is excellent. If you love a good bro-mance then get ready! As long as you are not a "die hard treky" you will enjoy this movie. If you can handle the fact this is a different universe than skip it.
  74. Jun 20, 2013
    A thrilling sequel to Abram's Reboot, this movie is showing a lot of charismatic actors, good performances and a solid storytelling.

What this movie showed with great succes is the retelling of a story all great fans already knew: Abrams was able to amaze and surprise the audience even when they thought to already have seen it coming!
  75. Jun 17, 2013
    Mind-blowing, action packed, smart, heartbreaking moments, menacing, and funny. Some great acting by the cast. A great antagonist. A thoroughly fantastic film!
  76. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome Star Trek movie. Starts to show the Kirk, Spock, McCoy relationship start to form. Amazing how the news of Khan was kept secret up until the movie came out! Great new warp and transporter visual effects. A perfect remaining of STII! Expand
  77. Jul 5, 2013
    This movie goes from a 7 to an 8 for me based on how they handled such an iconic Star Trek moment. A moment so classic that many people feel the key line between Spock and Kirk came from a great philosopher rather than a brilliant script writer (I admit...I did too until I looked it up). After I got over the incredulity that they were really going to deviate from the original...I had toThis movie goes from a 7 to an 8 for me based on how they handled such an iconic Star Trek moment. A moment so classic that many people feel the key line between Spock and Kirk came from a great philosopher rather than a brilliant script writer (I admit...I did too until I looked it up). After I got over the incredulity that they were really going to deviate from the original...I had to admit to myself that it was the only way the fan-girl in me would have been accepting of that scene. For me, it made up for the plot "cheat" at the end. Expand
  78. Jul 10, 2013
    I wasn't a big fan of past Star Trek movies and TV series but the new star trek movie made the world interesting for me and Star Trek Into Darkness added to that interest. Great movie.
  79. Sep 18, 2013
    It Was the Best Movie I Ever Watch. The Scenes Are Very Epic And Awesome I Watch This Movie 2 Times And I Love It! Is Soo Amazing. Star Trek Was The Best!
  80. Nov 2, 2013
    I enjoyed it thoroughly althought I have never seen Star trek before. The story is intresting, the evil character well acted by Benedict Cumberbatch and the special effects are stunning.
  81. Jun 8, 2014
    I'm glad JJ Abrams was able to promote Lt. Uhura from communications officer to "eye candy completely irrelevant to the plot".

Her two scenes in the entire movie are kissing a guy and then screaming at her boyfriend to stop punching a guy. The original Lt. Uhura was such an inspiration that when she wasn't sure if she should keep doing the show, actress Nichelle Nichols was implored

The original Lt. Uhura was such an inspiration that when she wasn't sure if she should keep doing the show, actress Nichelle Nichols was implored by civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to continue the role so that Americans could see a future in which one's sex and race are not restrictions to just how far you could go in society and through the galaxy.

I'm so glad JJ Abrams was able to suffocate this inspiring piece of civil rights and cinema history by completely smothering the Lt. Uhura character.
  82. May 19, 2014
    Too bad they thought to improve it, guess the writers thought they knew more than Gene Roddenberry knew, movie was sort of ok, but trying to rewrite the episode with Khan was both foolish and an insult to Gene. Stick to what you know, writing jingles for ads.
  83. May 14, 2014
    The thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screens nonetheless. I love the new Star Trek movies especially Into Darkness, the story was really good, and I believe that the actors do a really good job ofThe thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screens nonetheless. I love the new Star Trek movies especially Into Darkness, the story was really good, and I believe that the actors do a really good job of portraying the original series cast but again it's trying to copy past success, Into Darkness did really well in the box office but what Star Trek needs is something completely original, new crew, original story, if that happened the box office sales would triple. Expand
  84. Nov 10, 2014
    I introduced the world of Star Trek to my family with this one. I've always been a casual fan of the series, and the JJ Abrams treatment hasn't really ruffled any of my feathers. It's a solid, well-thought out film with just the right amount of homage to the original films, and just the right amount of its own ideas. Every major character from the series gets just about enough screenI introduced the world of Star Trek to my family with this one. I've always been a casual fan of the series, and the JJ Abrams treatment hasn't really ruffled any of my feathers. It's a solid, well-thought out film with just the right amount of homage to the original films, and just the right amount of its own ideas. Every major character from the series gets just about enough screen time, and the plot is complex enough to keep you glued to your seat in case the action wasn't enough. Overall, a well-done film, on par if not better than Abrams' initial foray into the Star Trek universe. If the new Star Wars movie even approaches this level of filmmaking, it will be light years from Lucas' attempts at the prequels. Expand
  85. May 18, 2013
    An action filled movie that answers a lot of fan complaints about the first film. It addresses Kirk's unworthiness at being given the keys to a brand new star ship without ever earning it. Not much of a spoiler, but he gets demoted for doing something stupid, and by the end of the movie, it really feels like he's paid for and respects the chair.

It continues the comic book series

It continues the comic book series technique of borrowing elements from the TV series and movies to give you a remix that feels familiar without being predictable. Some of the winks to the first 3 Trek movies do seem a bit forced though, to the point where I almost expected to see a tank in engineering with a whale working a console.

Well worth the $20 admission.
    ---
    Nitpicks
    ---------
    Somebody put the lens flare generator out of its misery. Please.

Since the reboot happened AFTER Enterprise, shouldn't the Klingons be bumpless? Are they wearing toupee's? Not a spoiler because they were in one of the trailers and only barely figure into it.
  86. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The downfall from moral tale about a uptopian future continues in this installment. There is not much of Roddenberry's creation left amongst the summer movie popcorn movie making here. The dialogue is never allowed to sink in, Kirk is never in control of anything and continues to be buffeted about by every other character, and the action sequences are all given the same level of intensity and editing. A gentle touch on the shoulder is treated the same as a spaceship spinning out of control. There was no love in this movie. The writers and producers appear either to actively disrespect Star Trek, or they do not care and see this as less of an artistic outing as it is a cash grab. This is a decent summer action movie and nothing more. As far as a Star Trek film, it is a failure. Expand
  87. May 15, 2013
    First Star Trek from JJ was rather good, but obviously not perfect.
    After a series of rather obscure trailers, and really strange posters, I've expected to be worse, or even not Star Trek at all.
    And I'm so happy to be absolutely wrong! Its intense, beautiful, a lot of action and explosions, but has a lot of character development (new Kirk is now my favorite one! seriously, better than
    First Star Trek from JJ was rather good, but obviously not perfect.
    And I'm so happy to be absolutely wrong!
    Its intense, beautiful, a lot of action and explosions, but has a lot of character development (new Kirk is now my favorite one! seriously, better than Shatner!), and a great plot with lots of skilfully placed Trek references.
    A very good Star Trek movie. Maybe the best.
  88. Nov 3, 2013
    Horrible. Completely misses the point behind Star Trek and fail to live up to even the worst of the TV series. No thinking is required. Despite the amount of whizzes, bangs, and booms in this movie it is actually unexciting. The entire movie is basically one unbroken chain of action sequences and special effects with flurries on fan service and shallow parodies of beloved characters. AlsoHorrible. Completely misses the point behind Star Trek and fail to live up to even the worst of the TV series. No thinking is required. Despite the amount of whizzes, bangs, and booms in this movie it is actually unexciting. The entire movie is basically one unbroken chain of action sequences and special effects with flurries on fan service and shallow parodies of beloved characters. Also the special effects are horribly overproduced and the customs and alien designs are sub par even the TV series had better effects. Expand
  89. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most of the negative reviews of "Into Darkness" make good points, but those good points almost all concern the second half of the movie; where the Wrath of Khan ripping off reaches its peak and the film goes all but creatively bankrupt. What those reviews forget, in my opinion, is that this is just over 45 minutes of a 2 hour plus film, and the hour before is a genuinely excellent big, emotional, fast-paced thrill-ride. Though it has a few logical hiccups (which I'm willing to ignore), the first and second acts of the movie reinforce and build on both the original shows and Abrams' first stab at Trek, both trying to cover for mistakes of the first movie (I like the detail that sci-fi veteran Simon Pegg's rendition of Scotty harangues Kirk several times, repeating some of the fan's most common gripes with the captain), and allowing for call-backs to the original series while adding more to the character relationships and story. As a lifelong Trekkie, I enjoyed all the little nods to the original Trek, and I would have appreciated them even more if they didn't completely take over the plot for the last part of the movie, which, along with a pointless fistfight to close out the action and a laughable villain in Admiral Marcus, makes it easy to see why so many people dislike the movie.

Again, I do like the movie, and it would be right up there with First Contact and the Voyage Home for me if not for the last 45 minutes or so scenes like the opening away mission, Pike chewing out Kirk, the death of Pike, Scotty on Earth, and so on more than make up for any straight rip-offs of Wrath of Khan (as a side note, I did like how the warp core that Kirk does his Fonzarelli maintenace on looks like the Omega-13 from Galaxy Quest), or crushing people's heads like tomatoes.
  90. Jan 6, 2014
    I really wanted to enjoy this movie. Encouraged by Abrams and company's claims that anything could happen in this new Trek universe, I was looking forward to a new take on an old character. Instead, the movie goes out of its way to compare itself to "Wrath of Khan," to the point of using the same dialogue, and, in the end, it comes up short. "Khan" was thrilling, suspenseful andI really wanted to enjoy this movie. Encouraged by Abrams and company's claims that anything could happen in this new Trek universe, I was looking forward to a new take on an old character. Instead, the movie goes out of its way to compare itself to "Wrath of Khan," to the point of using the same dialogue, and, in the end, it comes up short. "Khan" was thrilling, suspenseful and surprising, leading to a shocking ending. "Into Darkness" ends up being a mere shadow of the original, that not only fails to thrill (because we know where its going), but carefully puts all of the pieces back the way it found them at the end, so as not to upset the audience. It other words, it plays it safe. Too bad, because the first two thirds is actually a decent film. Expand
  91. May 19, 2013
    It's all over the place, and more often than not a bit of a confusing frenzy Many aspects don't pertain to the storyline, which should have been left on the cutting-room floor. It does have it's moments, granted, but as a whole, this second film's a mess.
  92. May 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely insulting in every possible way, even if you approach watching it with clean slates. Full of plot holes, ridiculous action scenes and useless characters. The first movie was actually likable even though it had its fair share of problems but this one... Oh my...

In all honesty the movie deserves a 3/10 but I gave it a 1/10 simply because of the degree of incompetence demonstrated at the end. I mean you create a whole new timeline just to be able to answer every cannon related question with "its a whole new timeline and anything can happen" but then all you can come up in your rebooted version is recycling content from the original movies?

It hurts even more if you are a Trekkie. If you expect a movie to deliver anything that Star Trek stood for (moral and philosophical themes wrapped within an immersive and interesting story) then stay away from this one because the only thing it will deliver is a two hour kindergarten fun. You wan't to enjoy Star Trek Into Darkness? Then simply rent "Star Trek: Wrath of Khan" instead.

Live long and prosper but don't expect to see another good Star Trek movie in the near future (at least until Abrahms is shaping them).
  93. Aug 2, 2013
    Time may break this new baseball glove in, just as this alternate storytelling of Star Trek comes to a close. Composer Michael Giacchino hits the mark, but it feels like a take-away prize.
  94. Jun 8, 2013
    "Bromance" invades Star Trek in a bad manner. The number of characters "about to die" is too high and idiotically operatic, since WE KNOW they are not going to die. The confrontation with the "bad guy" did not live up to its resolution. Special effects are good, but not worth $11.00. There HAS GOT to be a point when Leonard Nimoy will hang his Vulcan Ears and retire with dignity It"Bromance" invades Star Trek in a bad manner. The number of characters "about to die" is too high and idiotically operatic, since WE KNOW they are not going to die. The confrontation with the "bad guy" did not live up to its resolution. Special effects are good, but not worth $11.00. There HAS GOT to be a point when Leonard Nimoy will hang his Vulcan Ears and retire with dignity It doesn't matter, last Star Trek movie I ever watch. Back to the DVD's of older installments of the series. Expand
  95. May 17, 2013
    I'm a big fan of the original 'reboot' and I expected this to be a pretty decent sequel. Massive disappointment. The 'plot' is unintelligible and seriously lacking. Effects and CG is okay but nothing we haven't seen before. Overall, Into Darkness is uninvolving and uninteresting.
  96. May 19, 2013
    Excellent movie. Much like the first Star Trek from 2009, the action grabs you from the beginning and does not allow you to sit back and relax until the credits roll. Spock is incredible! He shows you how much of a badass he can be when provoked. Kirk is the films driving force, however, providing the audience with the most memorable action sequences, as well as its most effectiveExcellent movie. Much like the first Star Trek from 2009, the action grabs you from the beginning and does not allow you to sit back and relax until the credits roll. Spock is incredible! He shows you how much of a badass he can be when provoked. Kirk is the films driving force, however, providing the audience with the most memorable action sequences, as well as its most effective comic relief. Highly recommended! Expand
  97. May 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very seldom do I experience something that have the capability to render me dumbfounded. Absolutely speechless. JJ Abrams was able to accomplish this with Star Trek Into Darkness. After not only rebooting, but rewriting the Star Trek mythos with his 2009 film, dedicated and new fans alike were given a new look at the adventures of James Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the Enterprise crew.

Leading up to the release, subtle clues, that were not missed on me despite attempts from those in Paramount's PR, everything about this movie continually screamed Wrath Of Khan. From the man Kirk was sent after, who turned out to be Khan under another alias, to Dr. Marcus, the movie gave so many nods to the original second film. Abrams ran right along with it. And I'm glad he did.

At this current time, I've been out of the movie for about 30 minutes. And my heart has finally calmed down. From the start of the movie, it was a non-stop ride that was not only exciting, but a bit nostalgic throughout. Even right down to what was reversed with Kirk and Spock, and the shriek of the first officer with the infamous words: KHAN!!!

In short, I cannot wait until it is released on video. I will be watching the first and this one repeatedly. Abrams took one of the best series of our time, a benchmark in modern sci-fi, the catalyst of everything we love about the genre, and completely turned it on its head. And, if I could ever have the opportunity to meet him face to face, I would thank him for not only rebooting the series, but breathing new life in it altogether.

If he were here today, and could see what Abrams has done to an already great series, I believe Gene Roddenberry would be in as much awe as I am. My only question, though, how will Abrams top this?
  98. May 16, 2013
    'How do you choose not to feel' kirk. 'I dont know but right now im failing' -spock. Watching that for the 2nd time made me crack up laughing!

POPCORN MOVIE PURE AND SIMPLE! Old school Star Trek fans like me maybe feeling let down and jilted over this movie. I personally feel quiet angry Star Trek was not brought back to the TV medium as it would be better suited. Turning Star Trek

Turning Star Trek into* generic Sci-Fi for all its feelings and emotions cheapens the effort in comparison.
    And yes! I know Star Trek on the TV is far from perfect, however what it makes up for in bucket loads is vision.

As for the movie its got emotion and feeling in droves. I found the actors emotions conveyed even in there eyes. All the actors had that look into my eyes moment, I didnt mind it.
    Pacing suffered quiet a bit but I felt that was down to Damon Lindelof compulsion to answer everything and give a bit too much scope.

I didn't like a few of the short cuts made in the film but again that boils down to vision and my
    previous comments about lack there of TV medium, not to mention the TV series were always guilty of the same short cuts but its 2013 It can be done better.

Benedict Cumberbatch was overall great in this movie lacked a bit of added ommpth but guess what boils down to the same TV vs Blockbuster movies.
    Peter Weller was a fairly strong character in this movie I especially liked his lines and vocal performance.

People will feel one of the last scenes was cheap, I saw it as a parallel, one I found a bit too funny the 2nd time watching the movie.
    "how do you choose not to feel" -k "i dont know right now i am failing" -s hahahahahaha

I'm conflicted about this movie.
  99. May 20, 2013
    SPOILERS, SCROLL FOR MORE

Prose and Khans. So did this iteration of Khan work and should JJ Abrams and crew be demonized or demigods? For me, the new Khan was a lot of fun. I hated the guy, liked the guy, hated the guy and confused when he was boxed up again in ice and not executed. But the fact that I felt anything about the character means that J.J. did good by me, and I
    SPOILERS, SCROLL FOR MORE

Prose and Khans.

For me, the new Khan was a lot of fun. I hated the guy, liked the guy, hated the guy and confused when he was boxed up again in ice and not executed. But the fact that I felt anything about the character means that J.J. did good by me, and I consider myself a Trekkie.

So why the anger or confusion?

I read one blog that contemplated all of this, but they missed a key point which I think explains why one audience loved the wow factor and another did not: real jaw-dropping shock value. If we had known all along that Khan was the baddie we probably would have been more interested in the movie. Why? Because the jaw drop would have been bigger when he assisted Kirk and crew at Kronos. He would have been seen as a tragic figure which would have been a real surprise instead of a plot twist. I think the surprise that it was Khan is no surprise because almost everyone who was a Trekkie already knew he was (or hoped he was). And in this case was not jaw dropping...Unlike...

Iron Man 3. So I nearly crapped myself when the twist came. I REALLY wanted to see the Mandarin killed, hell I wanted to kill the guy! He triggered a real emotional response and I was angry about this A-Hole. So when Tony Stark finally finds him I was blown away. Holy was pretty much what I said in the theater. This twist was not known in advance, it was not even obvious because in Iron Man I we saw something similar between Tony's right hand man and the Jihadist. I assumed this would be a similar move: co-partners in evil with the Mandarin being the ring leader and Killian the stooge. What a damn surprise, what a joy to see a genuine plot twist! Which brings me back to....

KHAN! So whereas IM3 dropped me with their twist, I really just expected it in Star Trek Into Darkness. I still think he was an excellent baddie and I was happy to see Buckaroo Banzai/Robocop star Peter Weller back in the movies. But jaw dropping this was not. Instead it was more like a smug smile.
  100. May 30, 2013
    This isn't a Star Trek movie. It's a bad action movie with fantastic special effects. It has all the fight scenes, close calls, and chase sequences a ADD kid could want. Plus, all the characters are the nearly monochromatic representation of the future we've all come to expect. It's another example of Hollywood rebooting instead of expanding or re-imagining. Kirk is a punk. The women areThis isn't a Star Trek movie. It's a bad action movie with fantastic special effects. It has all the fight scenes, close calls, and chase sequences a ADD kid could want. Plus, all the characters are the nearly monochromatic representation of the future we've all come to expect. It's another example of Hollywood rebooting instead of expanding or re-imagining. Kirk is a punk. The women are firmly toned sex symbols, and the rest are just boring. Except Spock. Spock is well played. Plus, Scotty said it best when he argued Star Fleet are explorers not soldiers. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?