5.9

1. Sep 25, 2013
    Here you can see that the TNG crew is getting a little tired and stale. It was better than Insurrection, but not by much. I did find the premise interesting but it's execution felt a little underwhelming and flat.

Overall:
    It is a decent movie that could have been better. If I had to some it up in one word: Underwhelming.
  2. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was a fan of the Star Trek TNG TV series, in fact to this day it is my favourite TV series of all time. But like Generations and Insurrection, this one just ended up being mediocre. With the exception of Star Trek: First Contact with was absolutely great, there were TV episodes equal and in some cases better than the TNG movies. I'm still bitter about them cancelling the series while it was the number one rated TV show just so they could make 3 mediocre movies and 1 good movie. SPOILER ALERT: I can't believe they killed off data. I mean I knew one main character was going to die ahead of time, but Data? BTW: I was hoping they'd make 1 more TNG movie just so they could bring him back, it was pretty obvious how they laid the ground work to do so, Data's memory chip was in his android (er... artificial lifeform) brother's head although his brother couldn't access the memories there was the potential for him to expand his hardware/programming later to bring Data's memories back and incorporate them, but I guess Data is gone forever since they will never make that movie now :( Expand
  3. Jan 24, 2012
    Quite simply, the worst film in the franchise. Far too much is wrong with this film for me to write in one review. 5,000 characters isn't close to enough, it'd have to be an entire series of video responses for me to detail all of this movie's faults.
  4. Jan 18, 2011
    NEMESIS is a pure delight for fans and non-fans. This film is filled with great acting performances by Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Tom Hardy as the evil villain Praetor Shinzon. We for the first time in the Star Trek universe get to explore the Romulan Senate, political structure, the twin world Remus and see for the first time the Remans. While there are great actionNEMESIS is a pure delight for fans and non-fans. This film is filled with great acting performances by Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Tom Hardy as the evil villain Praetor Shinzon. We for the first time in the Star Trek universe get to explore the Romulan Senate, political structure, the twin world Remus and see for the first time the Remans. While there are great action sequences the main heart of NEMESIS is Shinzons struggle for his identity over Picard. This is a must see for fans of philosophical dramas as well as those who love science fiction. A must see! Expand
  5. Jan 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek is best when it gets its Characters to do compelling, interesting things in the face of existential, moral, or even philosophical threats and dilemmas. Lacking that, which this movie certainly does, a tightly constructed good vs. evil showdown makes a passable substitute, as worked so well in the Wrath of Kahn, or The Undiscovered Country, which incorporated several elements to craft a great film.

In this film we watch them drive dune buggys around a planet they shouldn't be on to find Datas developmentally challenged replacement. We see a villain suffering from constipation bent on destroying the Federation and watch as the Enterprise fails at every turn to be sufficiently capable, in spite of being the greatest ship Starfleet has to offer, to even dent the enemy ship. We've certainly seen this before.

As this disaster wheezes to an end, we find Data gone, most of the rest of the crew tired from making sure to be as ordinary and unremarkable as possible, and ourselves wishing that they had just stopped after 9, or, better yet, 8 movies if they weren't even going to try.

Nemesis never feels true to itself, its energy never fully engaged. Even with Earth on the line in its climactic space battle, the film seems embarrassed that it couldn't have found a better way to work through its issues.
    Nemesis, by comparison, is about as exciting as a Tribble on Vicodin.
  3. Plays like a greatest-hits remix; like "Die Another Day," it's bent on resurrecting a moribund franchise by recalling all the things you used to love about it till you grew into big-boy pants.