Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 19, 1999
6.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 1088 Ratings
WATCH NOW
KyleM.Dec 22, 2005
This is the best star wars ever. a terrifc beginning to the saga. a little predictable but u dont even notice it.
2 of 3 users found this helpful
jakeK.Apr 23, 2006
What movie did everybody else watch? I dont get how everybody on here didnt like it?? This is the best star wars yet. a lot of people really have no taste in movies.
JaredC.Aug 21, 2007
Its the Star Wars fans will kill for, its action is exciting, the story is excellent. Its a movie at top notch.
gm101Mar 28, 2011
Let me say a few things: 1. I love this movie just as much as the other five movies. 2. I actually like Jar Jar Binks. 3. I actually find the concept of midichlorians interesting. 4. I didn't think there was too much CGI, but rather, it wasLet me say a few things: 1. I love this movie just as much as the other five movies. 2. I actually like Jar Jar Binks. 3. I actually find the concept of midichlorians interesting. 4. I didn't think there was too much CGI, but rather, it was just the right amount. 5. I actually took interest in the Senate scene. 6. I didn't think there was a problem with Anakin being called "Ani" considering he was nine years old in the movie. 7. Acting was just as good as in the original trilogy.

You haters offended? Good, because you don't deserve any respect.
MovieLonely94Nov 1, 2010
George Lucas's epic masterpiece before the dark times.
asylumspadezNov 21, 2011
IMO the best Star Wars film. I thought it was great from start to finish. The acting was good, The story was far more interesting this time around as well.
TheQuietGamerFeb 19, 2011
This is just as good as the entries in the original trilogy, it has an enjoyable plot and characters, and great actors, and really gives you a feeling of excitement for the rest of the trilogy, a must see for Star Wars fans.
BrowniePointsJan 3, 2012
It begins as a great film, Liam Neeson is absolutely amazing!! But then comes in jar jar and Annakin, all at once this film becomes a kid's movie. I may be a hippocrit because I watched it when I was 5 and thought that jar jar was myIt begins as a great film, Liam Neeson is absolutely amazing!! But then comes in jar jar and Annakin, all at once this film becomes a kid's movie. I may be a hippocrit because I watched it when I was 5 and thought that jar jar was my favourite character from the new trilogy (Obi wan still is #1). The beggining and the end are amazing, but other than the car race, Annakin is waaaay too cutesy and jar jar's failed attemps at being funny make me face-palm. Expand
oxward321May 10, 2011
The Phantom Menace is an UNDERRATED MASTERPIECE!!!!!

The Phantom Menace is an UNDERRATED MASTERPIECE!!!!!

"The Phantom Menace" WOW! The audience went ape s-(well you know the rest) every time I saw it. I couldn't get it out of my head, I read the novel 3 times (after I seen the film) that summer, as well as the screenplay. Man I love this film, and the more I see it the more I love it. Qui-Gon, Darth Maul and Watto three of my top ten favorite characters. 8 times between May and Dec. of '99, and every time I seen it the crowd cheered, and at the end erupted in applauds. It was cool, very cool. For me I didn't want to see a rehash of ANH, and what I got was a new twist to and old universe. I was pleasantly surprised by the out come, of all three prequels.

To this day I still LOVE this movie. It's just gets better and better!
WinterfellJul 20, 2011
This one isn't only my favorite Star Wars film, it is my favorite movie of all time. I know, the story can be boring sometimes, Jar-Jar Binks and Anakin are annoying and many characters are useless, but at the time I watched it, in 1999, IThis one isn't only my favorite Star Wars film, it is my favorite movie of all time. I know, the story can be boring sometimes, Jar-Jar Binks and Anakin are annoying and many characters are useless, but at the time I watched it, in 1999, I had not seen any Star Wars before. Because of this, I watched every Star Wars the week after and became a great fan until... now. Fans of the first trilogy were disappointed, but I had nothing to be disppointed about. 10. Expand
FormicSapienApr 6, 2012
Alongside seething anticipation and mountains of specific expectations for something this movie absolutely wasn't, people hated it. Lucas' problem was in make a movie in a franchise that wasn't comprised of 95% material presented in previousAlongside seething anticipation and mountains of specific expectations for something this movie absolutely wasn't, people hated it. Lucas' problem was in make a movie in a franchise that wasn't comprised of 95% material presented in previous films. Lucas wanted to go beyond what he did before, when people were expecting the same. People wanted a movie that had some happy character development that reinforced their happy little lives, but they got way more than that, and all it did was piss them all off.

Episode I has high political commentary including the nature of politics and warfare, nearly unmatched special effects, depth of world and lore that only great sci-fi's have, and much more. Next time you want to not like this movie, really consider if it's based on what your friends say or how you felt while watching the movie.
ThroneBenderMay 21, 2012
Awesome movie, haters gonna hate. Awesome movie, haters gonna hate. Awesome movie, haters gonna hate. Awesome movie, haters gonna hate. Awesome movie, haters gonna hate. Awesome movie, haters gonna hate.
wesker2012Jun 25, 2012
classic.
smashbro1999Mar 19, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The locations and scenery are beautiful and exotic; the extremely well-done overall design of each planet and the specific places we are taken to is proof of that. From the lush and delectable beauty of Naboo to the vast and overwhelming city-planet of Coruscant, the environments are simply wonderful to behold. I simply don't understand why the use of CGI in the film is ridiculed as it is-CGI is something created by humans, just like animatronics-I don't believe CGI is "less human" than animatronics. The CGI enhances the visual quality of the environment and the characters that are CGI; this was what CGI was created to do, after all. The action sequences are amazing to behold, especially in the film's 20-minute climax; the pacing was perfect-the quick cuts between the three major conflicts matched the intense, fast-paced style of the battle-George Lucas' mastery in the visual arts was evident in the film. The symbolism and mythology-a Star Wars hallmark-is still a force to be reckoned with. Darth Maul's image, the duality in characters like Palpatine, and the symbiosis between prevalent organizations are all compelling, as well as the character types. Speaking of characters, I enjoyed Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Padmé, and Anakin. I was interested by each of their journeys, and where they began and ended. I cared about them, as well; they weren't "wooden" and "boring," and nor were the performances behind them. The writing was good-not written by a 5-year-old-Lucas kept me interested in the characters and the story. I liked the politics involved in the story, as I am very interested in politics. The pacing for the story was good, as well. The supposed "plot-holes" are easily explained and/or easily ignored, and are more like nit-picks than actual criticism. I realize the problems both certain fans and critics alike have with this film-I understand their criticisms, but, to me, they either hold no water, or aren't significant enough to undermine the film, as I see it. I thought at least some of Jar-Jar Binks' antics were funny; he didn't annoy me, and I'm willing to bet he didn't annoy most of the kids who watched the film. Not only was Jar-Jar a character for kids, but he represents a "wise fool" in the film. Additionally, I hope people realize that this film isn't "universally hated;" look at this site-62% of fans gave this film a 3.5/5, and 57% of critics, just 3 points under "fresh" status, gave the film a positive review. All in all, Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace is an excellent film, and a more than worthy beginning to the saga; if you haven't seen it already, it is at least worth watching once. Expand
Voodoo123Jun 13, 2014
Best Star wars film IMO. George lucas' film making experience upto 1999 meant he was no longer restricted by the physical limitations of 80's creature effects (which I love btw) lucasfilm could now seemlessly integrate the first full screenBest Star wars film IMO. George lucas' film making experience upto 1999 meant he was no longer restricted by the physical limitations of 80's creature effects (which I love btw) lucasfilm could now seemlessly integrate the first full screen cg character jar jar. I love jar jar! I love the complex political plot this new trilogy engage with and anyone who takes issue with jar jar need only look at innumerable animated cg 'kids' films to see how forward thinking that character design was. To me this is the perfect cinematic 'ride' encapsulating exciting moments of action, political drama and universe expanding delivered at a digestable pace wrapped in high art. Tastes fresh. Expand
parsa2000Dec 2, 2014
A very good and fantastic movie. A very good screenplay good acts and good special effect. It is the best movie from Star Wars sries. I like this movie more than the others.
SalvalarJan 4, 2015
The real score for this movie is an 8, but I score with a 10 because here are many people mad about the original trilogy of Star Wars that want to feel as the were 17 again... and that's not possible. I feel sorry for the people that see theThe real score for this movie is an 8, but I score with a 10 because here are many people mad about the original trilogy of Star Wars that want to feel as the were 17 again... and that's not possible. I feel sorry for the people that see the original trilogy at the right age and the see the second trilogy been so unfairly critic with it.

The real problem with this people is that they want to feel in Disneyland as they was 17, but the reality is that you have no 17 and you will never had. If you return to Disneyland with 40 sorry, you will not feel the same, the attractions doesn't change a lot, you are the one that change, you are harden to surprise, you are not a child, you are not an adolescent.

The film is below Star Wars and The Empire Strike Back, but is better than the Return of the Jedi for example, and the lightsaber battles are the best of all the two trilogies. The bad guy are good (valid me the contradiction), Jar Jar Binks are annoying is true, but they are kinds in the cinema that love it, I understand George Lucas position.

I understand the demand of the people of unaltered version of the original trilogy, and I am sure George Lucas or Disney will decide to release soon or late. But that is no a reason to make a documentary exaggeratedly criticize George Lucas and his legacy. Is no so awesome than the original trilogy, but is awesome. I know persons that see the second trilogy with the right age that really love it and think that the special effects of the original trilogy are poor.
shadow_13Jul 20, 2015
The story are good this movie is great I don't know why the others don't like it but this movie is good . good job.....................................
JolexlarisDec 30, 2015
I've seen this movie three times this year and, guess what? I like it even more each time. The scale of the universe Lucas showed in the Original Trilogy is expanded in this movie to incomparable scales. And the politics, since I was aI've seen this movie three times this year and, guess what? I like it even more each time. The scale of the universe Lucas showed in the Original Trilogy is expanded in this movie to incomparable scales. And the politics, since I was a teenager I came to love Star Wars because it is more than just a plain good vs bad action story. And this would not had happen without episode I. Easily, at leas for me, the most important movie of all 7. Expand
RETROBOTERDec 18, 2016
Star Wars Episode 1 gives a blast of a comeback to the former Movies after a break for more than 15 years.

The movie is great to watch, the world and the environments are well designed. The races living on the different planets looks awesome, like the special effects using in this +2 hours long masterpiece. One of the biggest wow moments is the pod race and the animated space, it feels so great. The new characters works perfect and the sound fx is eargasm like with Dolby 5.1 etc. nice job!
Well, if you are a Star Wars fan from begin, don´t vote bad , it´s unfair to give Episode 1 such a bad score, it´s a new kind of Star Wars (Anakin, Sith) with a lot good ideas that makes the movies unique, great comeback for fans, well done.
benbuttbusterJan 22, 2016
This is objectively the only good film ever made. Jar Jar Binks is a terrific character, and I'm excited to see how they will elaborate on this character in The Force Awakens. I'm gonna give this one a 10/10.
anakin_padme4evMar 7, 2016
STAR WARS THE PHANTOM MENACE IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE MY FAVORITE SCENE IS WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT MEDICHLORINES AND ALSO THE THE AWESOME LIGHTSABER FIGHTS THERES EVEN THAT GUY WITH THE PURBLE LIGHTSABER BUT I DONT THINK HES IN THIS ONE THESTAR WARS THE PHANTOM MENACE IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE MY FAVORITE SCENE IS WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT MEDICHLORINES AND ALSO THE THE AWESOME LIGHTSABER FIGHTS THERES EVEN THAT GUY WITH THE PURBLE LIGHTSABER BUT I DONT THINK HES IN THIS ONE THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ANAKIN AND HIS GF PANDME IS SO SAD BUT REALLY WELL WRITTEN GEORGE LUCAS IS BRILLIANT BUT HE SHOULD OF HAD MORE JAR JARB INKS THEY WERE REALLY FUNNY I LAUGHED SO HAD WHEN HE WAS SPEAKING IN HIS VOICE OMG I ALMOST FORGOTT ABOU THE POD RACING SCENE THAT WASEVEN BITTER THEN THE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL MY FAVORITE PART OF THE MOVIE WAS WHEN ALL THE GONGANS FIGHT THE ROBOTS IN THE BLUE DOME THING THIS MOVIE IS A CLASSIC AND THE HATERS ARE JUST JEALUS OF GEORGE LUCAS BECAUSE HE'S RICH AND FU NNY AND HE DISCOVERED STAR WARS AND THEY ARE JUST DUMB HATERS THIS MOVIE IS SO GOOD ITS EVEN GOOD THAN IDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL i like all caps because it makes my words louder so ill type this in lower case so i can post it Expand
cforthewinNov 13, 2016
I nice movie to stat with with good action, a good story, and mostly good characters. It is not a perfect movie but it is definitely a good movie and a great way to introduce kids to star wars.
FrozZL.Mar 12, 2007
This is a memorable movie. I liked to see the franchise in a new way. Deeper and artisticly perfect. Darth Maul is one of my favorite villain.
kittyJul 8, 2008
This is how I rate the new Star Wars movies; The Phantom Menace- I can live with background, overall entertaining. Attack of the clones- still entertaining, starting to go down a little here. Revenge of the Sith- People, what happened! Wake This is how I rate the new Star Wars movies; The Phantom Menace- I can live with background, overall entertaining. Attack of the clones- still entertaining, starting to go down a little here. Revenge of the Sith- People, what happened! Wake up and start being creative here! And while you're at it re-write the script! Expand
L.M.Jan 25, 2010
My score may be a bit biased for it being my first Star Wars in theaters but I still find it to be a great ride to this very day. The story's pace needed some tweaking but there was some great times where you knew the magic was there My score may be a bit biased for it being my first Star Wars in theaters but I still find it to be a great ride to this very day. The story's pace needed some tweaking but there was some great times where you knew the magic was there although some disappointments hurt the movie as well (Jar Jar isn't the bane of SW but not great either). Many great new characters to see and some old ones with new faces as well. Don't let the critics smearing this movie fool you, Phantom Menace is a great spectacle to behold but it does have a few blaring faults. Expand
6 of 13 users found this helpful
TelimaktarMay 23, 2008
Till today I can watch this movie over and over again just like the rest of its family. Thank you George Lucas for this works of art.
GlennL.Nov 11, 2009
Excellent film which starts the prequel series of the Star Wars Trilogy.
4 of 5 users found this helpful
gzayas91Dec 21, 2014
I love The Phantom Menace. It is one my favorite films. This is life changing film of dream, destiny, will, love, and truth. I don't care what die hard fans says, I really admire this motion picture. It may not be perfect, but I think theI love The Phantom Menace. It is one my favorite films. This is life changing film of dream, destiny, will, love, and truth. I don't care what die hard fans says, I really admire this motion picture. It may not be perfect, but I think the story is great, the acting is fine, th cg fine, and writing is fine. And what did you expect about the pod racing? Expand
DibbHansenJul 15, 2013
It may not be as fun or funny as the original trilogy was (instead this new trilogy takes on the more serious tone), the film is still awesome. The action is epic, the visuals are top class and eye popping, the music is awesome (JohnIt may not be as fun or funny as the original trilogy was (instead this new trilogy takes on the more serious tone), the film is still awesome. The action is epic, the visuals are top class and eye popping, the music is awesome (John Williams does great here again). My only criticisms would be that Jar Jar Binks needed to die. HATED HIS CHARACTER. Also Natalie Portman really needed an acting lesson. Other than those two things, this film is a great installment to the series. Expand
AndanteOct 31, 2016
A great movie, just the perfect start to introduce us to the prequel trilogy. Evan McGregor and Liam Neeson deliver world class acting, story has a very good flow and the final battle scene is magnificent. Comical additions with Jar Jar areA great movie, just the perfect start to introduce us to the prequel trilogy. Evan McGregor and Liam Neeson deliver world class acting, story has a very good flow and the final battle scene is magnificent. Comical additions with Jar Jar are very good and I cant understand why people are complaining. Music is as always genius and astonishing. I dare to say that this movie and the prequel trilogy as a whole is better than the original movie. Expand
JoshLuck1995Aug 2, 2014
Some may wonder why i have rated it so highly im comparison to the average user score, well its just because of my age, it was the first star wars film i watched and its always stuck in my head as the favourite, however i dont believe itsSome may wonder why i have rated it so highly im comparison to the average user score, well its just because of my age, it was the first star wars film i watched and its always stuck in my head as the favourite, however i dont believe its better than the older ones its just this is a special memory from my childhood and i really do rate this film highly. Expand
Ryzoft_StipeJan 4, 2017
A great movie, not much else to say. It's sad how some people prefer hypocriticy over bias. Sure, you were born 100 years ago and that gives you the right to bash on the prequels because you saw the original trilogy first? That is hypocrisy.
DBPirate1129Apr 25, 2015
-----REDONE REVIEW-----

-----REDONE REVIEW-----

Despite some flaws (particularly the overly kiddy Jar Jar Binks and the distracting Neimoidians), The Phantom Menace proves to be a fun romp that I didn’t find boring at all. It definitely does its action scenes best but the moments on Tatooine and Coruscant didn’t bother me one bit. The movie provides convincing and mysterious villains like Darth Maul as well as great chemistry from heroes Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Anakin Skywalker.
9.1
anthonymurphy29Jan 10, 2017
Although The Phantom Menace hasn't received much praise from critics or fans alike, it nevertheless keeps alive the unique vibe or feeling of the Original trilogy while introducing new worlds and characters, as well as the neverseen beforeAlthough The Phantom Menace hasn't received much praise from critics or fans alike, it nevertheless keeps alive the unique vibe or feeling of the Original trilogy while introducing new worlds and characters, as well as the neverseen before political dynamic of the Republic. Expand
BobB.Sep 27, 2006
Okay, it wasn't the best, but it did include lots of things which were absent in Episode 3. The droids didn't run away from battle like un-trained civilians, they marched steadily forward, like a droid is supposed to. Also, the pod Okay, it wasn't the best, but it did include lots of things which were absent in Episode 3. The droids didn't run away from battle like un-trained civilians, they marched steadily forward, like a droid is supposed to. Also, the pod racing scene wasn't too shabby, either. All of this included with the best lightsaber duel in the series makes this movie very much worth watching. Expand
PaulF.Apr 27, 2007
When I first watched this I was about 16 and I have to admit that it blew me away at the time. It was a completely fresh aproach to the saga with cool enemies and set pieces. Who could forget the pod race, the first time you see the When I first watched this I was about 16 and I have to admit that it blew me away at the time. It was a completely fresh aproach to the saga with cool enemies and set pieces. Who could forget the pod race, the first time you see the destroyer droids rolling into action and the Darth Maul battle at the end? Yes it isn't as good as the originals but IMO it's more than good enough to sit alongside them. Expand
YashSMar 17, 2009
Darth Maul and Qui-Gon-Jinn are the BEST Obi-Wan went crazy at the final battle scene That was the best battle scene of the series I hate that Darth Maul died He is so cool Same with Qui-Gon Everything else was okay
mikekMay 27, 2009
I remember the hype for this movie right after the special editions the new amazing character jar jar binks whom ended up hated by fans but whom i liked over the films anakin...other than that the movie was great....way better than attack of I remember the hype for this movie right after the special editions the new amazing character jar jar binks whom ended up hated by fans but whom i liked over the films anakin...other than that the movie was great....way better than attack of the clones..the darth maul is one of the best lightsaber duels in all the movies it was a sin the amount of time he got in the film after all the publicity it was an upset but what we get is great and qui gon was quite possibly the best performance in the whoel prequal trilogy. Expand
SalmonpieSep 29, 2011
I just watched this for the first time since the theatre in 1999 and have to admit to rather enjoying. Back when it was released, I felt the same as nearly everyone else did but now, with 12 years and not a lot of thought about the Star WarsI just watched this for the first time since the theatre in 1999 and have to admit to rather enjoying. Back when it was released, I felt the same as nearly everyone else did but now, with 12 years and not a lot of thought about the Star Wars universe until the Bluray edition came out. I can say, this isn't as bad as I remember or as most people say. Its a children's film that a lot of adults spent way to much time getting upset about, take it for what it is and you can enjoy it. Expand
ZilcellNov 16, 2011
It may feel stretched out too long and the story may not be too powerful compared to episodes IV, V, and VI, but it still does have a strong tale to tell.
SpiderJediDec 19, 2011
In 99, I didn't much care for Episode 1, but now, after watching it on blu ray in 2011, it's not as bad as I remembered. It's just the first chapter of the saga, and like many character introduction pieces, they can be a little dry. I justIn 99, I didn't much care for Episode 1, but now, after watching it on blu ray in 2011, it's not as bad as I remembered. It's just the first chapter of the saga, and like many character introduction pieces, they can be a little dry. I just think that expectations were very high, and we all had our own version of how this was going to play out in 99. Don't close your mind to it, but just rewatch and judge it removed from the anticipation. Expand
OnAnarchyAug 18, 2012
Holds a special place in my list as the first movie I can remember seeing in a theatre with my father. It's a good movie, but the prequel trilogy is no comparison to the original films.
pondeliciousApr 22, 2014
I feel like people are far too harsh on The Phantom Menace. Sure the movie had its flaws (especially Jar Jar Binks and the Gungans) but I feel like the film had many great moments as well and did a great job of setting up the prequels. QuiI feel like people are far too harsh on The Phantom Menace. Sure the movie had its flaws (especially Jar Jar Binks and the Gungans) but I feel like the film had many great moments as well and did a great job of setting up the prequels. Qui Gon Jinh and Darth Maul were both great characters who rank among my favourite of all current films. The Medichlorian thing was strange but it doesn't bother me that much. I also believe that Episode 1 thankfully lacked the painful dialogue (except for Gunguns) that plagued the second and third films. Ultimately a great film Expand
NShep53Apr 17, 2015
The Phantom Menace definitely has it's flaws, Jar Jar Binks, podracing, and the like, but it is still Star Wars. Liam Neeson is the acting stand-out of this movie. It probably is the worst (live-action) Star Wars movie, but even the worstThe Phantom Menace definitely has it's flaws, Jar Jar Binks, podracing, and the like, but it is still Star Wars. Liam Neeson is the acting stand-out of this movie. It probably is the worst (live-action) Star Wars movie, but even the worst Star Wars movie is great in my book. Expand
warrenworldMay 4, 2014
Though it lacks the epicness and lovable qualities of the original trilogy, The Phantom Menace still has a story to tell, as it gets through the journey against those setbacks and offers hope for improvement with the episodes that will follow it.
OpinionatedGuyAug 13, 2015
While not as bad as what people say about this movie, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menance still however suffers from an interesting plot that fails to be engaging enough.

Rating: 7.5/10 Pros: +Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor are the

Rating: 7.5/10

Pros:
+Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor are the best parts of the movie.
+The special effects in this movie looks really impressive for a movie released at its time.
+The podracing scene took me on the edge of my seat.
+The Jedi battle scene makes me feel like I want to be a Jedi Knight!

Neutral:
.The plot is very interesting. However, it’s not engaging enough as it feels like it’s more of a set up for the next two movies of the prequel trilogy of Star Wars.

Cons:
-The acting of young Anakin Skywalker. Just terrible. It’s really hard to root for Anakin Skywalker because of this.
-Jar Jar Binks went from an interesting character to the most annoying character real quick. His comic relief humor is just terrible and unnecessary.
mm007Oct 13, 2016
[8/10]
-------------
PROS: 1.Liam Neeson, Ewan Mcgregor, and Natalie Portman did good jobs. 2.The cute little boy anakin skywalker. Watching him was a charm. 3.Super action packed climax.Though Qui-Gon (Liam Neeson) dies. 4.After
[8/10]
-------------
PROS:
1.Liam Neeson, Ewan Mcgregor, and Natalie Portman did good jobs.
2.The cute little boy anakin skywalker. Watching him was a charm.
3.Super action packed climax.Though Qui-Gon (Liam Neeson) dies.
4.After watching the sequel triology, really wanted to know the back story (How and why Anakin Skywalker becomes Derth Vader).Back story started really beautifully.

CONS:
1. Boring race in the middle.
2. jar jar binks failed to be funny and just made it a long annoying movie.
3.Too much characters.
Epik_NinnjaMay 22, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So the movie isn't as golden as the original trilogy. So Jar-Jar binks is annoying. This movie is still very enjoyable to watch and it's still a great entry to the saga, in my opinion. I don't care if Anakin is annoying, he's a little kid who will grow up to be evil! Is he supposed to be completely loveable? I think that the backstory on the original films is great and the lightsaber duel at the end (Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul) was one of the best fihgt scenes in the saga. Ultimately, I find this movie to be rather entertaining not only as a piece of backstory to the original films but also as its own movie. The ending is massive-scale, the CGI was great at the time,a dn it's just a pretty fun movie all-around. Expand
PrincessZenaJan 10, 2016
I liked this movie, even though the acting could have been better. Darth Maul is a real badass, loved the Duel of the Fates. Compared to TFA it's a masterpiece.
DarsonJan 26, 2016
I love this movie sooo much, this movie got me into the Star Wars saga and I can't thank it enough, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were interesting characters, Darth Maul was just a straight up Bada** (and my new favorite Sith of all time) and the plotI love this movie sooo much, this movie got me into the Star Wars saga and I can't thank it enough, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were interesting characters, Darth Maul was just a straight up Bada** (and my new favorite Sith of all time) and the plot made sense, also fight scenes were awesome, though, the negatives are Jake Lloyd's performance as Anakin, the overuse of cgi in some places and...The unholy face of all Star Wars, Jar Jar Binks, just saying the name alone makes you want to give this movie 2 points off, but all in all its not as bad as some say they are Expand
J0eJan 15, 2016
I do not get all the hate for this movie it has an ok story it has good characters and some bad ones 2 cool bad guys and 2 bad ones has some bad acting but also good acting. Overall it is a good movie with a lot of flaws and I know it has notI do not get all the hate for this movie it has an ok story it has good characters and some bad ones 2 cool bad guys and 2 bad ones has some bad acting but also good acting. Overall it is a good movie with a lot of flaws and I know it has not aged very well but it still is cool has some awesome characters and awesome fight scenes. Expand
JoroAMar 21, 2016
Not the best movie out there, but has an interesting story and is a fun watch. The dialogue at times is strange and characters like jar jar feel out of place. The action is great and is fun to watch and for it's time had the best cgi i haveNot the best movie out there, but has an interesting story and is a fun watch. The dialogue at times is strange and characters like jar jar feel out of place. The action is great and is fun to watch and for it's time had the best cgi i have ever seen. The movie is severely underrated and has interesting new ideas. Expand
leofromthedarkDec 27, 2016
To this day still of the more beautiful movies I've watched, a true escape from reality. I've always viewed this as the Renaissance of Star Wars. People have often criticised the dialogue as 'wooden' but I think George did a great jobTo this day still of the more beautiful movies I've watched, a true escape from reality. I've always viewed this as the Renaissance of Star Wars. People have often criticised the dialogue as 'wooden' but I think George did a great job extinguishing it from the previous entries. Boasting an excellent soundtrack and iconic battle between Darth Maul, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Only cons I can say about this movie would the heavy feature of Jar-Jar in it, though I don't mind the character, felt a bit too much at times. The podrace always dragged on a bit and was a bit of bore. Despite that, Phantom Menace will always remain a classic and mainstay on my shelf as the years go by. Expand
MarkKJan 9, 2009
A good story told at a slow pace. The stereotypical characters and boring fights don't help it either. Still good fun though.
AlexG.Apr 15, 2008
Not bad, quite enjoyable, and actually quite a humorous and light movie.
PaxsterSep 8, 2010
As much as Jar Jar Binks is disliked I actually quite liked him. I know I'll probably be killed by most fans for saying this but I did think he was alright. I felt Liam Neeson had a good performance but McGregor needed some serious work. TheAs much as Jar Jar Binks is disliked I actually quite liked him. I know I'll probably be killed by most fans for saying this but I did think he was alright. I felt Liam Neeson had a good performance but McGregor needed some serious work. The Pod Race was way to long and the kid playing Anakin kind of annoyed me. A fairly good movie but no classic. Expand
ESS180Nov 12, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is alright, it's not bad, but still it was good.

Jar jar binks was kinda annoying but he was funny at the same time.

The action sequences were cool and the characters were good.
DukeJonApr 7, 2016
Yes, this film had Jar Jar Binks and annoying little Anakin. But look again; it also had Darth Maul, Qui Go Jin, an epic pod race, a huge land and space battle, epic light-sabre combat, a great score, and lots of original ideas (unlike theYes, this film had Jar Jar Binks and annoying little Anakin. But look again; it also had Darth Maul, Qui Go Jin, an epic pod race, a huge land and space battle, epic light-sabre combat, a great score, and lots of original ideas (unlike the recent "Force Awakens", which was just a rehash of bits of the original trilogy). For me this is a much better film than people give it credit for, and was unfortunately very much a victim of its own hype when it was released. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
The original trilogy of Star Wars will always be classic. Nevertheless, The Phantom Menace does kick-off a compelling prequel trilogy. The visuals are better than ever--and because of our love of the original films we are easily invested inThe original trilogy of Star Wars will always be classic. Nevertheless, The Phantom Menace does kick-off a compelling prequel trilogy. The visuals are better than ever--and because of our love of the original films we are easily invested in the exploration that will lead into the age of Luke and Leia. Expand
SatiricalewokNov 9, 2014
As a child this was always my favourite star wars film. And while now I can see that it is riddled with faults, it still has some fantastic scenes, and contains the best lightsaber duel of the entire series. I know Jar Jar Binks was aAs a child this was always my favourite star wars film. And while now I can see that it is riddled with faults, it still has some fantastic scenes, and contains the best lightsaber duel of the entire series. I know Jar Jar Binks was a mistake, but if you put that to one side this is quite a good film. Expand
sil3nt_nickMar 24, 2013
Well written and amazing effects.
TheApplegnomeDec 25, 2015
The only dialogs and characters 'The Craptom Menace' successfully did manage to deliver are the droid's. The rest are awful as they are **** But this **** is what I grew up to love and still does (somewhat).

In the end of the past

In the end of the past millennium came several big blockbusters that eventually changed the movie industry. The CGI-era was introduced with several big blockbusters like 'Jurassic Park' and 'Independence Day'. But in 1999; 'Star Wars' was back and it arrived with glamorous effects that was way ahead of its time. But was the man named George Lucas still up for the job? Fans of the original films were disappointed and still are, even though it's been more than 15 years since. But it still managed to inspire a new generation of fans, like myself, to this universe that takes place in a galaxy far away.

Today; I'm still not sure if this is a somewhat good or a bad movie. I grew up with this space-opera and it still got a place in my heart. 'Star Wars: The Phantom Menace’ is still a movie full of stupid and hilarious flaws. The plot isn't simple, thats a big flaw right there. It's not that subtle, it keeps going, and it therefore often is very unpredictable (which is a good thing). But much of the story is vaguely written. Add a stupid amount of plot-holes and tonnes of silliness too; then you got this flick. George Lucas got a great feel for adding stupid and non-important subplots that just do more harm than good. The cool and entertaining podrace is one example. This is 'Star Wars', and I’m watching a race. Not a race to death but as in sport. Sure it’s the story of Anakin Skywalker and we see him in his younger age as a skilled and powerful pilot, but it’s still a race. Is this really a prequel to the 'Star Wars' George Lucas once invented? As mentioned; it’s a very messy and high-paced flick, which is noticeable near the third act. We see events take place on the ground, up in space and so on. The story is so spread out on different characters that no emotion nor empathy to them get’s real. Other disturbing aspects with the plot are the stupid and illogical decisions many characters keeps making over and over. It doesn't make anything better that many of the dialogs are expressed when the characters are sitting down, talking and debating; rather than during intense moments like what we saw in ’The Empire Strikes Back’.

The center of the film isn’t on one specific character and because of that; the whole movie is more of a ’previously’ than an origin story. ’The Phantom Menace’ should have been so much better if the center of the plot was on one character and one alone, and then develop and focus a great story on that specific individual. Not to add more non-important ones like Jar Jar Binks. Our main characters are on the other hand very well presented, and a very good performance from Liam Neeson! Nathalie Portman however; is very one-dimensional and dry with her dialogs. When it comes to the characters, are there not that much depth nor backstory to them. We don't really know that much about them and they don't impress that much if you must compare to the original films. The plot is as mentioned very high-paced, which I’ve grown up to love with its space-opera and action. But it might be a ”too plot centered” movie. There's no time to get to know our characters nor get to understand them. Our main protagonist Darth Maul is another example. He’s a very cool and badass villain, but how much do we know about him? How much does he say -- he’s just a baddie.

One aspect of these prequel-films are the incredibly forced moments where characters must show their emotion and what they see and think; through dialogs. Many dialogs are unnecessary, we know stuff, but they say it anyway. Look at the main protagonist and antagonists when they are confronting each other; how much interaction do they have on an emotional level? Do they really interact?

This was supposed to be the origin story of legendary characters like Darth Vader and Obi-wan Kenobi, but is it? It’s definitely a movie of many flaws, but it still got some positivity. I’ve always loved all the action, space-opera, battles, sound effects, music, cinematography and of course the overall adventures of the main antagonists. The main lead from Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are somewhat solid but of course not that deep or relatable. The CGI are on the other hand very mind-blowing for a movie that came out over 15 years ago. I’ve always loved this movie, and I still do. Yes, I'm overly entertained by a ****ty movie that shouldn't be okay to like at all. But this was my first entry to the galaxy far away, and it still got a place in my heart. But it still is a pretty awful movie from a critical viewpoint; with horrible dialogs, one-dimensional characters and a very vague story. Add childish humor with fart and poop jokes and too-many-to-mention accidental save the day-moments; welcome to ’The Craptom Menace’.

Personal rating: 78/100
Critical rating: 42/100
NathanJonesSep 28, 2013
A good start to the Saga. The Podraces are awesome, Darth Maul is awesome, and the lightsaber fights are cool. I see everyone whining, moaning and complaining about this film just because for what it is, there is no reason for any of theA good start to the Saga. The Podraces are awesome, Darth Maul is awesome, and the lightsaber fights are cool. I see everyone whining, moaning and complaining about this film just because for what it is, there is no reason for any of the hate. F*** the haters. Score: 3/5. Expand
bfoore90Sep 11, 2016
Phantom Menace gets alot of flack for being bad or the worst of the prequels, I'm here to tell you that its not. Phantom has its flaws but the acting from Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman carry the movie and its a decent originPhantom Menace gets alot of flack for being bad or the worst of the prequels, I'm here to tell you that its not. Phantom has its flaws but the acting from Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman carry the movie and its a decent origin story for Anakin on Tattooine. Not to mention, Phantom Meance gave us a truly awesome character in Darth Maul. Again, Phantom has its flaws like the fact that the CGI is still a bit much, Jar Jar is still a horrible character and Jake Lloyd couldn't act. Expand
Duskycarp116Oct 2, 2015
There is a lot of hate for this and in my opinion it doesn't. It hasn't age well but it's still badass watching those fight scene and shows how much they improve since the older episodes. The story doesn't deserve any awards but itsThere is a lot of hate for this and in my opinion it doesn't. It hasn't age well but it's still badass watching those fight scene and shows how much they improve since the older episodes. The story doesn't deserve any awards but its enjoyable. I can go on and on but that's all I have to say about this movie. Expand
RobobobFeb 1, 2016
Yes, Jar Jar is an annoying character, but he was a failed attempt at comedy relief. He was also made for the kids and if you watch carefully all of the adults in this movie are annoyed by his presence, so for that, Jar Jar still gets a passYes, Jar Jar is an annoying character, but he was a failed attempt at comedy relief. He was also made for the kids and if you watch carefully all of the adults in this movie are annoyed by his presence, so for that, Jar Jar still gets a pass for me. Casting Anakin Skywalker so young and with such a poor child actor was another major mistake. Aside from these 2 negatives, there is really a lot to enjoy about this movie that people forget about.
* Laim Neeson is great as the maverick Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn.
* As always, Ewan McGregor is perfect as a young Obi-Wan Kenobi.
* With this movie we got one of the best villains in Darth Maul and one of the best lightsaber fights.
* Many great one-liners Star Wars is known for like, "There's always a bigger fish." "He's a local." "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." "We'll take the long way."
* The pod race was a fun scene unlike anything we've seen in a Star Wars movie.
Unfortunately, with this movie, you see George Lucas start to lose his grasp on his movie-making abilities and his understanding of what his fans want as the next couple films get progressively worse.
horcrux2007Nov 28, 2015
I suppose I should start calling this "Confessions of a Star Wars Virgin"... Anyway, I've finally come to the much-maligned prequel series and a movie that gets considerable hate, The Phantom Menace. Maybe because I don't esteem the Star WarsI suppose I should start calling this "Confessions of a Star Wars Virgin"... Anyway, I've finally come to the much-maligned prequel series and a movie that gets considerable hate, The Phantom Menace. Maybe because I don't esteem the Star Wars film as the greatest films of all time, or maybe I just have lower standards than most, but I found The Phantom Menace to be the most fun Star Wars movie yet. Yes, there are enormous flaws with Episode I, but like every other film in the series, the good moments don't just excuse the bad; they topple them. The Phantom Menace follows Jedi Knight Qui-God Jinn and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi as they escort Queen Amidala on her travels to the planet Coruscant, hoping to find a peaceful end to an interplanetary trade dispute. They also encounter Anakin Skywalker, before he became a Jedi, who appears to have unusually strong powers of the Force. I was definitely surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie based on how much hate it has received. Being the first movie in a trilogy, The Phantom Menace is going to feature a lot of exposition and many seemingly stock characters. I would hope many of the plotlines and character arcs are continued in the next couple of movies because, but I have to at least give it the benefit of the doubt for now. The movie's good moments made me completely forget many of the bad ones that came before it. The pod race in particular was stunning as well as the final fight with Darth Maul; showing the Jedi in their prime made the lightsaber fights more fast-paced and exciting. Even though I enjoyed the movie, I can completely understand the hatred it has accumulated over the years. If I was a big fan of the original series, and I had to wait sixteen years for this, I would be pretty disappointed as well. Maybe being a Star Wars virgin allowed me to enjoy Episode I more than I should have, but, at least for me, The Phantom Menace was the most visually impressive and maybe even the most fun Star Wars movie yet by continuing to showcase the series' creativity and imagination. Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Set decades before the original "Star Wars" series, in the era of the Republic, The Phantom Menace is a prequel which introduces many of the major characters.
morganstephens5Aug 10, 2015
I would say this was the best of the prequels. It caught the heart of the original films the most. And Qui Gon was one of the best characters to have come out of the prequel trilogy. A very underrated film that deserves more praise than itI would say this was the best of the prequels. It caught the heart of the original films the most. And Qui Gon was one of the best characters to have come out of the prequel trilogy. A very underrated film that deserves more praise than it has gotten. Expand
IllusivemaN7Apr 20, 2015
There are two major issues with this film. Jar Jar and some excessive CGI that doesn't always look the best but other than that the plot is essential ground work to the rise of Palpatine. It may not be the best Star Wars film but it isThere are two major issues with this film. Jar Jar and some excessive CGI that doesn't always look the best but other than that the plot is essential ground work to the rise of Palpatine. It may not be the best Star Wars film but it is undeserving of all the criticism. A couple of the actors are less than stellar but it's a passable movie. Expand
JosephASowellMay 13, 2015
It was good, however, it could have been so much more. George Lucas just needed some more help with this movie, and it would have been better. If you haven't seen the original trilogy this movie is just better.
UrbanlistenerJan 12, 2016
While not being a terrible film, the first installment in Lucas' prequels just leaves audiences with an empty stomach. There is a lot to love in the film, cool characters, Darth Maul, good action sequences and a lot of eye candy (for 1999).While not being a terrible film, the first installment in Lucas' prequels just leaves audiences with an empty stomach. There is a lot to love in the film, cool characters, Darth Maul, good action sequences and a lot of eye candy (for 1999). But there is also a lot to hate, not a lot of substance, some bad acting (Anakin), some bad and awkward dialogue, terrible characters like Jar Jar Binks and effects while ok for 1999 that look extremely bad today. But if you love Star Wars, it is definitely watchable and enjoyable, most of the time. Expand
MagesticLeanAug 17, 2015
wasn't as bad as people say it deserves a six or seven not 0 i liked it i think i have seen this movie 1000000000000000 times and each time im like cool and i say f off anakin he was the worst part of star wars but your supposed to hate him
ColeSoderstromDec 12, 2015
As a huge Star Wars fan I was dissapointed in this film but it does shine in certainly places like the pod race and darth maul lighsaber duel and John Williams did an amazing job with the music. There are a few terrible things though like JarAs a huge Star Wars fan I was dissapointed in this film but it does shine in certainly places like the pod race and darth maul lighsaber duel and John Williams did an amazing job with the music. There are a few terrible things though like Jar Jar Binks and Anakin yelling yippe! Overall it was a ok-good film. Expand
gdiego135Dec 5, 2015
I know a lot of people hated the star wars prequels, because of overuse of cgi, But i still love them as equally as the the originals. this movie does have it's flaws but it's not a horrible movie actually i find more interesting than theI know a lot of people hated the star wars prequels, because of overuse of cgi, But i still love them as equally as the the originals. this movie does have it's flaws but it's not a horrible movie actually i find more interesting than the original because there's more color, in "a new hope" it was mostly in spaceships or tatooine so it's either all grey or orange, this movie makes star wars a lot more colorful, and the lightsaber battles are way better then they were in the originals, in the older films it looked friggin ridiculous in the prequels they made them badass. This movie is not horrible, but's not a masterpiece either, some of the acting is wooden but still worth watching because it's STAR WARS for crying out loud. Expand
KipJun 14, 2009
By far the weakest of the Star Wars episodes. It only gets a 6 because it is Star Wars. Jar Jar Binks is perhaps the most annoying character ever created. Remove him and cut 80% of that damn pod race and I'd give it 7.5, maybe even an 8.
TokyochuchuApr 28, 2013
Despite all the fanboy hate, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace was a decent sci-fi adventure film. There are some impressive scenes like the pod race and the climactic light-saber duel. The political maneuvering of Palpatine is alsoDespite all the fanboy hate, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace was a decent sci-fi adventure film. There are some impressive scenes like the pod race and the climactic light-saber duel. The political maneuvering of Palpatine is also fun to watch. The movie is overlong, though, and slips in to tedium now and again. Still, nowhere near a bad movie. Expand
davenbettridgeOct 14, 2011
Metachlorines, Jar Jar Binks, Jake Lloyd, under developed characters, over reliance on special effects, awkward story pacing and weak acting - there will never be another movie more anticipated to then be so disappointing. Critics who claimMetachlorines, Jar Jar Binks, Jake Lloyd, under developed characters, over reliance on special effects, awkward story pacing and weak acting - there will never be another movie more anticipated to then be so disappointing. Critics who claim that there isnt some 'entertainment value' in this movie are not being honest but the Phantom Menace is mediocre, is the biggest missed opportunity in movie history, and people who think its a good movie are uncritically minded fan boys. With the privilege of making a movie comes the responsibility of making a good one, a responsibility to which has George failed. Expand
hoops2448Oct 21, 2011
The Star Wars saga according to many a fan took a lot of hits with this instalment but in my opinion it took more from the Return of the Jedi (a overly long, preachy pile of hogwash). Phantom of the Menace is entertaining to say the least andThe Star Wars saga according to many a fan took a lot of hits with this instalment but in my opinion it took more from the Return of the Jedi (a overly long, preachy pile of hogwash). Phantom of the Menace is entertaining to say the least and while it doesnâ Expand
dharmaJun 9, 2012
The Phantom Menace is one of the worst movie in the whole Star Wars saga. It has uneven pacing, wooden acting, weird screen play; on the other hand, it has some of the best set pieces in the whole saga. Lucas seems to be paying more attentionThe Phantom Menace is one of the worst movie in the whole Star Wars saga. It has uneven pacing, wooden acting, weird screen play; on the other hand, it has some of the best set pieces in the whole saga. Lucas seems to be paying more attention to ILM compared to his actors and it really shows. I still watch it regularly from time to time, but it shows how the master is starting to get left behind in the type of films (blockbuster movies) that he 'created' more than thirty years ago. Expand
devo-ncSep 1, 2015
One of the best visual films ever made, it pushed the limits with CGI when practical effects were still an urban thing. The pacing, music, adventure and action all comes together as an awesome summer-time ride of a blockbuster that hasOne of the best visual films ever made, it pushed the limits with CGI when practical effects were still an urban thing. The pacing, music, adventure and action all comes together as an awesome summer-time ride of a blockbuster that has resurfaced a world of new books, video games and toys in celebrating this epic work. The Phantom Menace dips however in being a video game's story in the midst of the highest standard of production quality you can get, they forget about telling a good story with interesting characters. It's a bit overblown. Expand
JaySupertrampFeb 6, 2012
Im a Star Wars fan from since the beginning and in my opinion George Lucas should have let Episode I been were it was before ... in a drawer! But we cant go backwards in time so Im writing a review for this. For a movie on its own its aIm a Star Wars fan from since the beginning and in my opinion George Lucas should have let Episode I been were it was before ... in a drawer! But we cant go backwards in time so Im writing a review for this. For a movie on its own its a medium done work. The acting is good and for its time the special effects are good as well. The plot is important for the Star Wars Saga but all the rest is rubbish. Its way to much a kids movie - cant even try to mess with the originals. Expand
anshimanMay 18, 2014
I'm not sure which makes me feel more incomplete - the disbelief that an innocent little boy is destined to suffer and become profoundly evil, or the disappointment involved in watching a movie with the skeleton of a beautiful ShakespeareanI'm not sure which makes me feel more incomplete - the disbelief that an innocent little boy is destined to suffer and become profoundly evil, or the disappointment involved in watching a movie with the skeleton of a beautiful Shakespearean tragedy without the flesh that makes a film what it is. George Lucas did most of the things wrong in this film. Jar Jar Binks is an annoying, comic piece with no role in the film except frustrating viewers to the point of desperation. Young Anakin Skywalker apparently is not only good at fixing things, flying and being with the force, he's also good at being a bad actor. Combine this with the yawn-inducing main premise of intergalactic trade federation disputes, and you brew the recipe for disappointment. Although many pan this film as being lackluster, I perceive it as simply disappointing seeing the film shine in parts and show its true intention, only to be ruined by small mistakes that don't allow the film to truly express itself. It is clear (to me) that George Lucas had a fantastic vision for the prequel trilogy - darker themes, sombre tones and intense moral philosophy issues. Unfortunately his vision hasn't translated well to the screen. Perhaps J.J. Abrams won't make the same mistake again in 2016. Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
The first of the three Star Wars prequels. The story and character development are mediocre, making this a considerable downgrade from the original Star Wars movies, but on the good side the special effects add more depth to battle scenes andThe first of the three Star Wars prequels. The story and character development are mediocre, making this a considerable downgrade from the original Star Wars movies, but on the good side the special effects add more depth to battle scenes and make them all the more impressive. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
Phantom Menace is easily the worst of the six Star Wars films, but is it really as bad as everyone says? No, it's not. They're all just pissed they had to wait 15 years to see it.
jyzmanMar 8, 2013
Not as good as the prequel trilogy, but this film is far more enjoyable than Attack Of The Clones. The Podrace was the highlight of the film, and the lightsaber battle at the end was good as well. Some of the film is a bit predictable and theNot as good as the prequel trilogy, but this film is far more enjoyable than Attack Of The Clones. The Podrace was the highlight of the film, and the lightsaber battle at the end was good as well. Some of the film is a bit predictable and the jokes a bit, and Jar Jar is very annoying, but the movie is still enjoyable. Expand
SEROJDec 14, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first part of the prequel is really not that great. The characters are unique and amazing, the story (for this part) is decent and the action is good but nothing special. The best scene in the movie remains the rally. Expand
MovieGuysApr 22, 2014
Episode I is a decent effort in the series. It's not the best, but it's not the worst. This is more of a "connecting movie" then an independent story.
owlman1996Jan 26, 2014
I really like this movie, and I seem to be the only one in a 500 mile radius who does. I love the lore and I love the story. The dialogue is what brings it down to a 6. It is nigh impossible to have a story without dialogue, and this movieI really like this movie, and I seem to be the only one in a 500 mile radius who does. I love the lore and I love the story. The dialogue is what brings it down to a 6. It is nigh impossible to have a story without dialogue, and this movie may as well have not had any. I really like the story and I really like the lore, though. Expand
MonsterlukeDec 24, 2013
There is Star wars, and then there's the Phantom menace. At first glance, this film has good visual effects especially for it's time good music and a lot of star wars fun. However then you begin to realise once you take away theThere is Star wars, and then there's the Phantom menace. At first glance, this film has good visual effects especially for it's time good music and a lot of star wars fun. However then you begin to realise once you take away the lightsabers, the film has very little in common with the original series. That being said, I still believe this film brought an entirely new and pretty awesome universe to Star wars which it expanded, and that's what I like about this film. I love the clones, what can I say.
On the other hand, I do have to say the delivery of this not so bad story can be better, the acting is not great, but compared to Jar Jar, everyone else looks Oscar worthy. And then you have the politics....the one good thing that about star wars was that there was no bureaucrat BS, no matter where you go now however there's politics everywhere. If they removed it then this film would be 100x better!
George Lucas turned his sci-fi master piece into a visually appearing chick flick really, lacking in the areas of good performance but boosting up his Space battles and Lightsaber duels. I mean he couldn't have made it any less obvious that palpatine was the Emperor, Padme was the queen, and Anakin was an I just hated that kid so much, I get the idea that he was not suppose to seem like evil but he was just so annoying and wooden. I almost hated him more than Jar Jar, but its far to say I might not hate Jar Jar compared to most people.
Above all else though, I did like how they brought up the return of the evil sith. The possibility of more than 1 dark lord and that fact the Jedi order will be the only ones to bring balance to the force once more. All in all, I admire for what George Lucas did to try and expand the Star Wars universe, I just wish he could have heard the music. It does leave me wanting more, I really want to know how this war will turn out and it leaves me wanting to see the others.
unadeeMar 1, 2014
Entertainment Monthly; 67% 6.7The computer-driven effects are impressive, but the adventure is hampered by a flat screenplay, dull acting, and just a hint as to why the dark side of the Force will eventually transform cute little Anakin intoEntertainment Monthly; 67% 6.7The computer-driven effects are impressive, but the adventure is hampered by a flat screenplay, dull acting, and just a hint as to why the dark side of the Force will eventually transform cute little Anakin into the evil Darth Vader. This movie lacks interest and entertainment but there are a couple of cool scenes. Expand
TheMasiMan1Jan 22, 2016
Ok, it isn's nearly as good as the originals, but is it really that bad? Answer is "maybe". Its boring but they do make it up by putting in action packed battles. Battle droids? They arent a threat, NO ONE has ever died from a Battle Droid.Ok, it isn's nearly as good as the originals, but is it really that bad? Answer is "maybe". Its boring but they do make it up by putting in action packed battles. Battle droids? They arent a threat, NO ONE has ever died from a Battle Droid. Liam Neeson and Samuel L Jackson? I'll give you a few points for that, I mean come on! Liam Neeson and Samuel L Jackson! Puppet Yoda dosent look good, but they replaced him with a CGI Yoda in the 2011 Blu Ray release. Politics? No thanks. Jar Jar Binks? Annoying, he didnt ruin the movie, I mean come on! One character ruins the movie? He dosent even have that much screen time.

In conclution:
Its not a bad movie, its worth seeing, even though NOTHING happens in this movie. NOTHING. Think about it: What happens here, that impacts the storyline whatsoever? Sith return? Anakin meets Obi-Wan? Thats about it.
anichelsJan 1, 2016
Jar Jar is not necessary to the story,I didn't mind the politics in the film, and it revamped how we look at Jedi. Quigon and Obi-Wan were pretty cool.
Pod racing gave us an idea of what Anakin's youth was like. - Being an exceptional force-sensitive child, it gives us a glimpse of what his hard skills are, as far-fetched as it is seeing a child pilot a fighter jet and successfully destroying a space station, at least there is some understandable precedent. (acting skills are not great, but it didn't kill the movie like JarJar did.)

Darth Maul is a fantastic and mysterious villain
koothrappaliFeb 1, 2016
Episódio I é de longe o pior e mais desnecessário filme de toda a franquia Star Wars. E quando eu falo desnecessário, eu quero dizer que: se você pular esse filme, não vai fazer a mínima diferença no entendimento da história. A única coisaEpisódio I é de longe o pior e mais desnecessário filme de toda a franquia Star Wars. E quando eu falo desnecessário, eu quero dizer que: se você pular esse filme, não vai fazer a mínima diferença no entendimento da história. A única coisa realmente importante que acontece nesse filme é a introdução do Anakin/Darth Vader e da melhor dupla de robôs que existe na história do cinema, porque de resto, o filme é uma verdadeira desgraça. E não podemos esquecer de mencionar o personagem mais chato que eu já vi em toda a minha vida: Jar Jar Binks. C-3PO e R2-D2, esse 6 são dedicados a vocês. Expand
BernolsvenJan 26, 2015
[Portuguese] O filme é um pouco chato, só o final é interessante, porém este filme introduziu o começo de toda história de Star Wars, então é um filme importante.
JB562Jan 23, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although the movie does have its cool moments, particularly the lightsaber duel of Darth Maul VS Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi, the majority of the film is filled with boring details and conversations. Also, Jar Jar Bins and the Gungans are unnecessary stereotypes to be in this movie. Expand
BasquillyApr 28, 2015
The worst addition to the series, this movie suffers throughout from its failure to evolve from the original trilogy. The acting, editing and special effects are only marginally improved from the original franchise, but this stands more as aThe worst addition to the series, this movie suffers throughout from its failure to evolve from the original trilogy. The acting, editing and special effects are only marginally improved from the original franchise, but this stands more as a testament to the original movies than a failure of this one. Where this movie really falls down is the weak attempt to form a connection between the characters and the audience, and the stilted direction of the actors on the set. The curse of the child actor really hurts this movie as well, along with the cringey additions of characters like JarJar Binks and Nute Gunray. The movie saves itself some semblance of credibility through a few stellar action sequences, notably the pod racing on Tatooine and the dual between QuiGon Jinn, Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul. The plot is also superior to any of the original trilogy, and sets up a solid story arch. Again however it suffers from excessive exposition, leaving no mystery to intrigue those watching. Expand
hanneguacamoleJan 4, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In what should have been a deliberate and riveting prequel to arguably one of the best trilogies, The Phantom Menace shows its age – in the CGI animation and the time since the last installment. The dots simply do not connect, and I'm not sure that Episode I would have any success if it were not for the beginnings of Darth Vader himself.

Darth Vader is obviously a vital character in the franchise, so the portrayal of Anakin Skywalker here is understandable, but feels forced. Because he is strong with the Force. Ha! With the introduction of many new characters, the same level of closeness were not attained with the likes of Jar Jar Binks and Qui Jon. Star Wars has always been innovative with its stories and locations, but at the same time it dwells too much on fighting with clones and the plot device of destroying the Death Star (on accident?)

As a Star Wars fan, I apprecaite seeing young Anakin Skywalker, but I am disappointed. I love seeing the similarities between father and son, Luke, yet Luke's journey can't help but cast a shadow over his father's. The Phantom Menace's enemy is not nearly as well developed as the original trilogy, and the film struggles with reconciling Anakin's journey through the ages. Obi-Wan pulls it out though. As the connective tissue between generations, it is good to see the Jedi teachings passed along, even without the blessing of Yoda. But why the CGI? The special effects may have been the most disappointing to me – I love the nostalgia.
FawksJul 21, 2015
As for the first episode of prequels it had potential. Don't get me wrong the movie is bad, but you can see that Lucas wanted to make it good. Despite all the flaws it had the Star Wars feel in it. The problem was that Lucas is not a goodAs for the first episode of prequels it had potential. Don't get me wrong the movie is bad, but you can see that Lucas wanted to make it good. Despite all the flaws it had the Star Wars feel in it. The problem was that Lucas is not a good director or writer. If he would just write the story and remained a producer it could be much better. Expand