8.7

1. Jun 8, 2015
    Campy, cheesy, and completely overrated, the first entry into the Star Wars saga shocks me that it has any appeal whatsoever. Where to begin really? Well, the film is horrifically written, in particular the dialogue may be some of the worst I have encountered in a long time. However, the dialogue is not all that is wrong with the script. The characters are also terrible. They have noCampy, cheesy, and completely overrated, the first entry into the Star Wars saga shocks me that it has any appeal whatsoever. Where to begin really? Well, the film is horrifically written, in particular the dialogue may be some of the worst I have encountered in a long time. However, the dialogue is not all that is wrong with the script. The characters are also terrible. They have no depth, act irrationally, and have no true purpose seemingly. Things just sort of happen and we, as an audience, are forced to accept that it happened and move along. The characters are also greatly annoying, namely Luke Skywalker (who is whiny as all hell), Chewbacca, and Princess Leia. Truly, these characters only serve to ruin the film. The acting, namely from Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, is horrific. The story is poorly told and completely uninteresting. In addition, the action sequences are terribly choreographed and damn near comical with how bad they are.

In spite of these many negatives, there are some positives. For one, C-3PO and R2-D2 are adorable little characters who really make the film. They try their hardest to turn around this lost ship with pretty funny dialogue. The writing is terrible throughout, except for when these two speak. They are truly great. The characters of Darth Vader and Obi Wan Kenobi also piqued my interest. Though their encounter in this film is horrendous (again, that fight scene choreography...cringe), they do seem to have some serious potential. The special effects here are also quite good, especially for 1977 (though other films released around the same time, such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Alien, are leagues better in this category). The score is also incredible and deserves the iconic status it has achieved. Finally, the film, though poorly written and directed, did introduce a very interesting world. While I did not enjoy the storyline or most of the characters, the world introduced here is grand in size and packs considerable potential that makes me oddly excited to watch Episodes V and VI. I still have high hopes that this saga will be enjoyed by me, but sadly, Episode IV is so terribly put together for the most part that I can only sit here and be sorely disappointed.
  2. EniG.
    Sep 22, 2007
    It was so interesting, I like the jedi light sabre.
  3. StabsM.
    Sep 4, 2008
    Sorry, guys. I grew up with Star Wars, loved it as a kid, but two things have finally made me realize that it really wasn't a great movie: 1. The Special Edition, or whatever they called it. What garbage. 2. The three prequels. What garbage. It's been a long time since I've seen the actual, originally released Star Wars. But I suspect that it isn't half as good as a Sorry, guys. I grew up with Star Wars, loved it as a kid, but two things have finally made me realize that it really wasn't a great movie: 1. The Special Edition, or whatever they called it. What garbage. 2. The three prequels. What garbage. It's been a long time since I've seen the actual, originally released Star Wars. But I suspect that it isn't half as good as a remember it being when I was twelve. Expand
  4. Cam
    Apr 27, 2005
    Just OK.
  5. DeniseS.
    Nov 11, 2004
    I saw it in the theatre when it premiered the first time, when I was eleven years old. This was just as good. I wouldn't have got the value of the updating if i were now a kid, but as a mom i appreciated it. My kids were more into the prequil, which i approved of less.
  6. May 19, 2016
    I've never thought much of this movie, to be honest: it is the archetypal underdog-hero story. The acting possesses a somewhat flat delivery that rushes too fast, along with the script. I can understand why this film was so popular; the underdog within the era of the Cold War, and very impressive and innovative visuals are the highlight for me, but ultimately, it's not a cinematicI've never thought much of this movie, to be honest: it is the archetypal underdog-hero story. The acting possesses a somewhat flat delivery that rushes too fast, along with the script. I can understand why this film was so popular; the underdog within the era of the Cold War, and very impressive and innovative visuals are the highlight for me, but ultimately, it's not a cinematic masterpiece, and it is far overblown by the legions of obsessive followers (the ones at Comic Con, no offense to them). It''s good. It's far from great. Expand
  7. Mar 9, 2016
    Even though this movie is enjoyable, it is my least favourite out of the original trilogy. I found the plot to basically be a save the princess and defeat the evil empire movie. Those are overdone to death. I still enjoyed it though.

1. Reviewed by: Gerald Clarke
    May 10, 2016
    A grand and glorious film that may well be the smash hit of 1977, and certainly is the best movie of the year so far.
  2. Reviewed by: Kathleen Carroll
    May 10, 2016
    Star Wars is somewhat grounded by a malfunctioning script and hopelessly infantile dialogue, but from a technical standpoint, it is an absolutely breathtaking achievement.
  3. Reviewed by:  Penelope Gilliatt
    May 10, 2016
    There is something dazzling about a sci-fi film that manages to call upon the energies of both futurism and long-held faith. The movie is not to be compared in ferocity of imagination with Kubrick’s “2001”—significant that the music here is merely illustrative, never caustic or memorable, and that there is nothing of Kubrick’s vision of a blanched form of existence—but it is exuberantly entertaining.