8.3

1. Jul 20, 2016
    An amazing conclusion to the original Star Wars trilogy. While the ewoks overstay their welcome, this movie still tells a great tale, as well as one helluva conclusion. What really shines out is Vader and Luke's relationship and show down at the end, which is both visually stunning and heart breaking. Make sure to watch this film if you have not already.
  2. Jul 13, 2016
    Though said to be a weaker installment in the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi is a promising finale that features great performances, stellar action, and a wonderful twist ending.
  3. Jun 5, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best star wars film that there is (classic). The story and the action is really impressing and to see Darth vader and Luke helping each other is one of the best moment of the movie. Expand
  4. May 30, 2016
    Return of the Jedi is a decent addition to the Star Wars saga. For me, this movie is a big step down from the previous 2 installments. Jedi ditched that dark Empire tone and replaced it with a bit of "kiddyness" with the Ewoks. This movie did do enough great things for me to feel positively about it, the action is the best of the original trilogy, Luke has become the most badass he hasReturn of the Jedi is a decent addition to the Star Wars saga. For me, this movie is a big step down from the previous 2 installments. Jedi ditched that dark Empire tone and replaced it with a bit of "kiddyness" with the Ewoks. This movie did do enough great things for me to feel positively about it, the action is the best of the original trilogy, Luke has become the most badass he has ever been, the Emperor is a cool villain, Vader's redemption is well done, and retains a fun space adventure, that at the end of the day, I do enjoy the ride. Expand
  5. May 7, 2016
    "Star Wars: Episode VI : The Return of the Jedi" was a very good movie, only monsters Tatooine, and tidbits those not snapped me, but the end and the action scenes, almost convinced me but very good.
  6. Apr 6, 2016
    In comparison, it is nowhere near the quality of the previous installments (despite what many fanboys would have you believe) but Return of the Jedi still stands up on its own and doesn't have to rely on the original two to be considered a great film. If I had a more flexible rating scale to use, I would give an 8.5/10, but anything more would and I would be lying to myself.
  7. Mar 21, 2016
    The epic conclusion of the best saga in film history. All the characters are back for the final battle against the evil empire. It has to this day one of the best set pieces with great action. Fun for all ages and has the feeling of the original. It has the best scenes in the saga with the emperor, however it also has one of the silliest with the ewoks. The idea is fun and interesting, aThe epic conclusion of the best saga in film history. All the characters are back for the final battle against the evil empire. It has to this day one of the best set pieces with great action. Fun for all ages and has the feeling of the original. It has the best scenes in the saga with the emperor, however it also has one of the silliest with the ewoks. The idea is fun and interesting, a tribe of little people with no technology help defeat the scariest power in the galaxy, but the villains suffer from that. It is hard to take the empire seriously after that defeat but it makes up for it with the amazing celebration at the end. Expand
  8. Mar 16, 2016
    REALLY GOOD
    I know sometimes it's really cheesy but I still think it's really good.
    It's not the best film in the series (V) and also not the worst (II).
    And it was also my favorite as a kid.
  9. Mar 12, 2016
    Star Wars VI is the maybe the worst of the trilogy. But it's full of action, suspense, with very natural parts, human actinide and family-friendly. Fans of Star Wars saga will fell very pleased with this film.
  10. Mar 9, 2016
    This movie is so overrated. I don't even know where to begin. We begin with Luke entering Jabba's palace. I honestly like this part as it portrays Luke as very threatening. Unfortunately that changes fast when you realize the terrors of Jabba's palace. I legitimately felt like I was watching an episode of Peewee's Playhouse. I hate how the plot goes. It's depressing because we could haveThis movie is so overrated. I don't even know where to begin. We begin with Luke entering Jabba's palace. I honestly like this part as it portrays Luke as very threatening. Unfortunately that changes fast when you realize the terrors of Jabba's palace. I legitimately felt like I was watching an episode of Peewee's Playhouse. I hate how the plot goes. It's depressing because we could have gotten something much better. I think the plot was supposed to be much darker. Unfortunately since Jorge Lucas was more interested in selling toys that didn't happen. Of course the fanboys will protect it no matter what. Expand
  11. Feb 12, 2016
    The continuation of Luke Skywalker's adventure is adventurous and fun, but is it better then the previous installments?

I'll start of by talking about something that have always bothered me; Return of the Jedi's cinematography and directing, it has just always felt a bit off, even since I was a kid, back when I didn't even have cinematography in my vocabulary. A lot of wasted shots, the director seemed to struggle to shoot conversations and other scenes, they come off as weird and awkward. There are a few good looking shots, but many gets wasted because of poorly lighted sets, but just a few. It had a very old-fashioned and assembly-line approach to its cinematography. ROTJ has a strong feel of the old coverage system: establishing shot, master of the whole scene and then the closeups at the end. ROTJ just seems to be riddled with scenes photographed in that same old formula with very little fresh ideas or risk-taking.

John Williams' score; it's just brilliant, in my opinion the best of the saga. it's highly underrated. Williams composes emotions, creating the feelings throughout the scenes, I get goosebumps every time the music swells, or raises the slightest.

Its special effects has aged poorly, even compared to the older installments of the saga; The Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope has aged well in comparison. The famous space battle is still epic, and still holds up, they are still worth watching on repeat and still feels energetic.

Acting-wise; there aren't really any standout performances, other than a few of the characters being more developed since The Empire Strikes Back, they still got the charm intact.

ROTJ's has got far from the most intelligent ideas, it's silly and stupid at times, other times the ideas work. A few of the ideas got massive potential, that gets wasted, but I'm here to judge it on what it is, not what it could have been. It's written adventurous and fun, but it's far from innovative and smart.

The movie has got decent pacing from start to finish. Enjoyable tempo, with not really any specially boring scenes, making it really re-watchable. It's far from a masterpiece like the previous installments, but Star Wars was never meant to be a masterpiece, this movie succeed in being fun and adventurous. It's not near the greatest movies ever, but it's one of the most memorable and fun, adventure, fantasy movies ever. It's also a worthy ending for the original trilogy.
  12. Feb 4, 2016
    I dont understand why the critic score is so low. Like what?? Ok, 4 and 5 are better, but this one is pretty good too. Ewoks are kinda silly. Other than that, the movie is damn fine. the emperor is not like one of those big bad deep voiced villain. no. in fact, hes a bit corny, which is creative. the space battles is amazing. the best one if u ask me. sabre duel luke vs vader is prettyI dont understand why the critic score is so low. Like what?? Ok, 4 and 5 are better, but this one is pretty good too. Ewoks are kinda silly. Other than that, the movie is damn fine. the emperor is not like one of those big bad deep voiced villain. no. in fact, hes a bit corny, which is creative. the space battles is amazing. the best one if u ask me. sabre duel luke vs vader is pretty sweet too. Doesnt need all the flips and jumps. dialogues can do the trick as well. dont watch the 3d/enhanced/remastered versions though, just the originals. the new ones are abomination. it's nice to have few new scenes which tie in the prequels, but seriously vader screaming NOOOOOO while throwing the emperor into the hole??? what the f?? Expand
  13. Feb 1, 2016
    Episódio VI é realmente um final épica de uma trilogia que marcou várias gerações. Da trilogia, esse é o segundo melhor filme. Com esse filme percebemos que a franquia vale a pena. Tem seus deslizes em alguns finais de determinados plots, mas não deixa de ser um maravilhoso filme.
  14. Jan 30, 2016
    Not as epic as episode IV and not as cool as episode V but still very good. Amazing end to the amazing trilogy. I almost cried when I first time saw Yoda dying.
  15. Jan 28, 2016
    Return of the Jedi was the final film in the memorable and classic original star wars trilogy. While this is the weakest of the of the original trilogy, I don't understand why it gets such bad reviews. I honestly thought that the story was a great end to the trilogy. They made the right move by bringing back Han solo and the characters of Darth Vader and the emperor were great. HoweverReturn of the Jedi was the final film in the memorable and classic original star wars trilogy. While this is the weakest of the of the original trilogy, I don't understand why it gets such bad reviews. I honestly thought that the story was a great end to the trilogy. They made the right move by bringing back Han solo and the characters of Darth Vader and the emperor were great. However there are a couple of problems with this film, Firstly, the Luke and Leia twist felt unnecessary and shoehorned in. And the ewoks... eh. Despite these problems Return of the Jedi is a satisfying conclusion the original star wars saga. 7/10 Expand
  16. Jan 27, 2016
    Return of the Jedi is a great conclusion to the trilogy is leaves no stones unturned ending in a very satasfying the fight between Vader and Luke is the best fight in the series and luke is a complete badass and most action is great. This is however the weakest in the trilogy and here's why.
    First of all han solo seemed a bit underwelming especially compared to how great he is in the other installments. Also they brushed over han and landos relationship despite their last meeting ending in lando betraying han solo. The biggest problem is the ewoks though i wont deny their cuteness they can not really be taked seriously. I do not mind the native creatures over throwing the empire but it made the stormtroopers seem useless and unintimidating. Their is also too much focus on them and i is clearly a ploy to sell toys. I was also uninterested about the space battle but it was still visually great nevertheless. I enjoy Jedi overall and it is definitely worth the watch.
  17. Jan 22, 2016
    Ewoks? Cute, but can they really beat the Empire? COME ON! Thats a really crutial point of the movie and they f**ked it up! I heard in the original script they were actually going to a Wookie plannet, Kashyyk, well we didnt get to see that. Shame. Also: Why did the Emperor actually lead the rebels to the ACTUAL generator? Why not lead them to a fake place?
  18. Jan 10, 2016
    A satisfying ending to the epic trilogy, this Star wars film is fun, action-packed, well-paced and intriguing, but it is less resonant than IV and V and it is more childish.
  19. Jan 7, 2016
    This film is so underrated by critics. I mean, it only go 80% by rotten tomatoes, and it only has 52% by metacritic. Come on, really? This film is one of the best conclusions to the best trilogy ever made in the history of film. It has great conflict between Luke and Darth Vader, has funny moments, great action scenes, and most of all, ` It's a trap'. Now I do understand it's critizism,This film is so underrated by critics. I mean, it only go 80% by rotten tomatoes, and it only has 52% by metacritic. Come on, really? This film is one of the best conclusions to the best trilogy ever made in the history of film. It has great conflict between Luke and Darth Vader, has funny moments, great action scenes, and most of all, ` It's a trap'. Now I do understand it's critizism, like the ewoks, I actually, didn't mind the Ewoks, until they all those stromtroppers, that I thought was stupid. Then boba fett dying like a lonney tune character, really, I had so much hope for that character to be so well in return of the Jedi. But besides that, the movie was a wonderful experience. Sences like Jabba the hutt, the endor battle, the battle between Luke and Vader. These some of the moments that made the original trilogy so awesome. Overall, I love this film, and I think Critics are overatting this movie. Expand
  20. Jan 5, 2016
    There is good news, bad news and no news about “Return of the Jedi.” The good news is that George Lucas and Co. have perfected the technical magic to a point where almost anything and everything — no matter how bizarre — is believable. The bad news is the human dramatic dimensions have been sorely sacrificed. The no news is the picture will take in millions regardless of the pluses andThere is good news, bad news and no news about “Return of the Jedi.” The good news is that George Lucas and Co. have perfected the technical magic to a point where almost anything and everything — no matter how bizarre — is believable. The bad news is the human dramatic dimensions have been sorely sacrificed. The no news is the picture will take in millions regardless of the pluses and minuses.

As heralded, “Jedi” is the conclusion of the middle trilogy of George Lucas’ planned nine-parter and suffers a lot in comparison to the initial “Star Wars” [1977], when all was fresh. One of the apparent problems is neither the writers nor the principal performers are putting in the same effort.

Telegraphed in the preceding “Empire Strikes Back” [1980], the basic dramatic hook this time is Mark Hamilll’s quest to discover – and do something about – the true identity of menacing Darth Vader, while resisting the evil intents of the Emperor (Ian McDiarmid). Unfortunately, this sets up a number of dramatic confrontations that fall flat.

Though perfectly fine until now as daringly decent Luke Skywalker, Hamill is not enough of a dramatic actor to carry the plot load here, especially when his partner in so many scenes is really little more than an oversized gas pump, even if splendidly voiced by James Earl Jones.

Even worse, Harrison Ford, who was such an essential element of the first two outings, is present more in body than in spirit this time, given little to do but react to special effects. And it can’t be said that either Carrie Fisher or Billy Dee Williams rise to previous efforts.

But Lucas and director Richard Marquand have overwhelmed these performer flaws with a truly amazing array of creatures, old and new, plus the familiar space hardware. The first half-hour, in fact, has enough menacing monsters to populate a dozen other horror pics on their own.

The good guys this time are allied with a new group, the Ewoks, a tribe of fuzzy sweet little creatures that continually cause ahhs among the audience (and will doubtlessly sell thousands of dolls). Carrying their spears and practicing primitive rites, they also allow Lucas to carry on the “Star Wars” tradition of borrowing heavily from familiar serial scenes.

Though slow to pick up the pace and saddled with an anticlimatic sequence at the finish, “Jedi” is nonetheless reasonably fast paced for its 133-minute length, a visual treat throughout. But lets hope for some new and more involving characters in the next chapters or more effort and work for the old.
  21. Jan 5, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: A worthy end to one of the best movie franchises in history - Return of the Jedi succeeds in building up an hour's finale for the franchise to end with whooping heights and touching lows. The journey of these epic characters in this epic world steps up a level in a film where world building is taken to a whole new level, as is the development of the characters we've grown toWHAT I LIKED: A worthy end to one of the best movie franchises in history - Return of the Jedi succeeds in building up an hour's finale for the franchise to end with whooping heights and touching lows. The journey of these epic characters in this epic world steps up a level in a film where world building is taken to a whole new level, as is the development of the characters we've grown to know and love. Star Wars goes out with a big bang
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The ride isn't as smooth as it's two predecessors, and it takes a little while to get going
    VERDICT: An amazing end to an amazing trilogy. This film will always hold a special place in people's hearts.
  22. Jan 4, 2016
    I know I will get some flak for this, but I always loved ROTJ. Possibly even more than Empire. Of course I love both films pretty much equally, but Jabba's Palace is so memorable as well as when the dark Emperor tries to recruit his new groove. This film brings closure to the classic trilogy.
  23. Jan 3, 2016
    Clearly, Jedi is the less impressive of Star Wars' first trilogy, but it is still a spectacular viewing. The last act can be considered one of the greatest moments in the Star Wars saga.
  24. Jan 3, 2016
    I would of giving this movie a 10/10 but...
    Ewoks? I don't mind them but come on... Their weapons are crap and some tiny rocks just kill the Stormtroopers?
    They could of at least give them better weapons...
  25. Dec 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A great ending for the franchise, Return of The Jedi is an unforgettable movie. While the action is definitely not better than it's predecessor's, it does have an impact. This episode is more different. It's more colorful and cartoonish, so that may turn some people off. but I enjoyed it very much. I'm not a big fan of the Jabba The Hutt part, but it's well executed. I liked the humor and the characters shine in this movie. I kind of hated how ewoks could defeat stormtroopers in this movie, but it's OK. And, also, the last 30 minutes are epic and should not be missed. So, it's definitely worth watching. Expand
  26. Dec 30, 2015
    Although the weakest in the originals, it's still a bit of excitement left over from this movie before the prequels came 16, 19, and 22 years later and its sequel 32 years later.
  27. Dec 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As the Star Wars universe expands, the violence becomes more intense, the stakes higher, and our love for the characters reaches an all-time high. Return of the Jedi built upon the previous two titles in the saga, but shows less of the youthfulness and ingenuity once possessed.

Luke Skywalker had an incomparable story arc this episode. Discovering the identity of his twin sister brings a human element to the screen while Luke's training as a Jedi warrior shows his dedication and love for those that he cares about. Ending with the epic fight with his own father, Darth Vader, Luke chooses the good side and cannot be swayed into the Emperor's arms. The themes of love and of defeating evil are palpable.

My problem with the movie, however, is the overwhelming amount of time spent on the moon of Endor with the Ewoks. However charming, the battles and scuffs lacked relevance to the greater plotline. Han, Leia, and Chewbacca seemed to be placed there to be forgotten.

I cannot in fairness say that I would give Return of the Jedi the same high rating if it were not part of the original Star Wars trilogy, but the lovability of the underdogs we've grown to know makes this an impossible movie to dislike. Not the best in the series, but there's no topping A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back.
  28. Dec 29, 2015
    The best part of the original trilogy will thrill you! Star Wars ended. Ended as one of the best movie franchises to date! But, wait... it didn't end! Hell yeah!
  29. Dec 27, 2015
    This film started off quite strong but then escalated into a rehash of Episode IV. I would have to say though it did end on a high note and introduced one of my favourite childhood clans, the Ewoks.
  30. Dec 24, 2015
    After witnessing two great Star Wars movies, I was super stoked to see the conclusion of the original trilogy. 2 hours later, I realized that I didn't love this movie. Granite, it's not bad at all, but it didn't fully deliver as an all around exciting finale. Let me get my negatives out of the way. The style of this movie didn't seem as cool as before. The previous two movies had greatAfter witnessing two great Star Wars movies, I was super stoked to see the conclusion of the original trilogy. 2 hours later, I realized that I didn't love this movie. Granite, it's not bad at all, but it didn't fully deliver as an all around exciting finale. Let me get my negatives out of the way. The style of this movie didn't seem as cool as before. The previous two movies had great affects for there time and still hold up pretty well. The effects in this movie are easily outdated. And because of that it sometimes took me out of the movie. I also didn't find all the characters to be well written and I think the performances kind of show. For me, it's mainly from Han and Leia. I understand that Han is going through a character arc, but he doesn't feel like the Han Solo I knew from the previous too movies. Leia was kind of the same way, but not to the extent I felt with Han's character. And of course, the ewoks. Granite they are not Jar Jar bad by any means, but seem to cute for a movie that should be more of a fulfilling finale. I don't think they truly needed to be written in the movie. Now for the good! While I mentioned some of the writing wasn't as well written with certain characters, Luke Skywalker was great. I love him becoming a Jedi and journey he goes on to confront Darth Vader. In fact, that whole storyline is what I loved the most. The confrontation, the lightsaber fight towards the end, everything going on in those scenes were nothing short of perfection. In many regards, that should be the case since this is the main story we are following. I even loved the emperor. While I got a taste of what he was like in the prequels, it felt like I met this character for the very first time in this movie. And I loved how he wasn't simply over the top, but he was very controlling and threatening. I thought he added a lot to the confrontation between Luke and Vader. And then we get to the cute party scene at the end and the series is over... For now! Overall, even with its flaws, there's still lots of good that comes out of it as well. But it's not always well rounded all the through like I hoped. Nevertheless, I still liked "Return of the Jedi" and I'm going to give it a B! Expand
  31. Dec 23, 2015
    Another 10/10 Star Wars Movie! A great conclusion to one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time! Great characters and great story and special effects
  32. Dec 22, 2015
    Star Wars Episode 6 Return Of The Jedi is a underrated masterpiece. We get to see Jabba, The Emperor, and most importantly we get to see Darth Vader redeem himself. The special effects are on point, the score is amazing, and the characters are still lovable. A perfect conclusion to the original trilogy.
  33. Dec 22, 2015
    It may not reach the greatness of it's predecessors, but Return of the Jedi is still a mostly enjoyable end to the original trilogy. It leaves none of the conflicts from the first two unresolved and although it was a bit ridiculous to see the Empire get overpowered by a bunch of teddy bears, I can excuse it because those things were friggin' adorable. Naturally of course, it has flaws,It may not reach the greatness of it's predecessors, but Return of the Jedi is still a mostly enjoyable end to the original trilogy. It leaves none of the conflicts from the first two unresolved and although it was a bit ridiculous to see the Empire get overpowered by a bunch of teddy bears, I can excuse it because those things were friggin' adorable. Naturally of course, it has flaws, such as a slight decline in quality after a certain point (and the shockingly casual death of Boba Fett). Overall, it's not as good as the first 2, but it's a fun movie and a mostly satisfying conclusion. Expand
  34. Dec 20, 2015
    George Lucas zostawia po sobie blizny.

George Lucas zostawia po sobie blizny.

Po bardzo mrocznym Imperium kontratakuje, moje oczekiwania wobec finału trylogii były ogromne. Miałem nadzieje zobaczenia poważnego zwieńczenia całej historii. Niestety tym razem George Lucas położył swe łapska na scenariuszu i pozostawił po sobie głębokie rany. Przykładem są ewoki z Endoru, które wydają się być kompletnie zbędne dla całej historii. No i CGI… nie powinni tyle go wpychać. W V części było go mało i wyszło to na dobre całemu filmowi. Ujęcia kamery też przestały być interesujące. To już nie te same szerokie ujęcia jak w Imperium Kontratakuje.
    Podobały mi się natomiast bitwy w kosmosie. Wyglądają świetnie! Muzyka jak zawsze genialna, no i ostatni pojedynek Luka z Vaderem jest wspaniały. Czuje się te emocje buzujące w bohaterach. Niestety mimo to Powrót Jedi w porównaniu do Nowej nadziei i Imperium kontratakuje wypada blado i nijako. Ode mnie 6/10.
  35. Dec 20, 2015
    The third in the series of the original films often gets the least praise it seems like. People really like to bash on the little ewoks for some reason. It was the prior generation’s jar-jar binks I suppose. Despite this fans got a thrilling conclusion to the series with some of the best special effects ever seen on the screen. It’s really a shame they did not start making 3 more star warsThe third in the series of the original films often gets the least praise it seems like. People really like to bash on the little ewoks for some reason. It was the prior generation’s jar-jar binks I suppose. Despite this fans got a thrilling conclusion to the series with some of the best special effects ever seen on the screen. It’s really a shame they did not start making 3 more star wars movies right after Return of the Jedi was completed. With the advanced special effects and actors more mature it could have been so amazing!

What’s nice about the third film is seeing how the actors have changed over the years. Luke really does look like an adult now. He plays on the border of light and dark. And watching the movie you think it could go in many ways. There is much to enjoy and re-enjoy as you watch this movie over and over again. I love every bit of it.

Spoilers Below

Best Actor

Mark Hamil’s Luke Skywalker does the best job I think for this final film. The focus was really on him and it’s great to see the character changed in this one. He holds his outbursts in more and Han serves that purpose more. Luke is very focused on his task and you can see how he’s trying to hold it all together throughout the movie.

In some ways there are not as many surprises in this move as the first two in the trilogy. It’s wrapping up what was said in the first two, especially the 2nd. That might be a drawback to this film. But it’s really tense not knowing which characters will make it through to the end. All heads of the river coming to the end as it were which is really fantastic.

In second place would be the emperor. It was a trick role to play. Does he act crazy or in control. Too much and it would seem cheesy and too much might seem to dark and absent for somebody that is supposed to be the leader of the dark side. Once again could you imagine how awesome these would be if they were rated r!

Worst Actor

This is a hard one to pick. I’d maybe pick Leia and Admiral Ackbar. Leia is in the movie a lot but she seems to be missing that edge she used to have. She just kind of goes along with being a slave girl. Later with the ewoks she seems sympathetic almost like she’s on a vacation. Maybe Han’s making her soft. But it seemed off a bit.

While admiral Ackbar is only a minor role it could have been much more. I would’ve liked to seen more radio chatter with him directing the big capital ships. And more command people directing what’s going on. Just to give a bigger attack scale.

Best Scene

Story wise the best scenes are at the end with Luke & Vader and the emperor. The scene on the radar station walkway and the spire tower. These don’t really need to be explained why. But as just a fan of movies I loved the epic space battle. It was so amazing. It still is. Nothing really has topped it yet. And think how long ago it was. Going inside the new death star was a nice spin and it looked amazing and flew by so fast. So many great scenes and moments in this movie.

But now in reviewing this movie I appreciate the Jabba scenes a lot more. They are filled the brim with so many alien characters and details. It’s a feast for the eyes and ears.

Worst Scene

When I’d watch the movie as a younger person I thought the Jabba scenes lasted too long. Maybe combine Luke & Leia’s story. She brings chewie and Luke sneaks in and they both fall into the ranchor pit. It seemed like the section was too long. Maybe it was knowing as a kid the more exciting, for a kid, ewoks and space battles were coming up. And I could simply not sit still anymore.

Having a longer Yoda scene would’ve been nice. It was just too convenient to have him die the exact 10 mins that Luke was there.

Hits
    - Epic conclusion to the saga!
    - Love always wins.
    - Best space battle, Ewoks! Did I say Ewoks!

Misses

- Short lightsaber battle. Too much cutting back and forth.
    - Lando needed a side-story / mission.
    - Not seeing the emperor saber fight.

Grade A
  36. Dec 18, 2015
    As a movie its the weakest of the 3 but holds a special place in my heart as it was the one(of the original 3) that I physically went and saw at the movie theater. We all have that one movie that transcends everything even with flaws and this one is it for me. Captivated by it as a kid and still captivated by it today.
  37. Dec 17, 2015
    I am pretty much where everybody else is with this movie, "Return of the Jedi" isn't quite as redefined as the previous two installments, but this is a more-than-satisfying end to an iconic trilogy.

The story more or less continues where 'Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back' (1980) left off with Han Solo (Harrison Ford) still frozen and taken prisoner by Jabba the Hutt. Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) sets out to try and save him, but also ends up in Jabba's traps. It is now up to our young hero, Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) to try and save the two and confront Darth Vader, who he just found out is his father.

The movie is a lot more sillier, especially in the first act, loaded with CGI characters who we see doing more obnoxious things, which we can get bored of quite quickly. It was obviously clear that "The Empire Strikes Back" was a hard act to follow and that this franchise may have needed a break.

It's still great to see our three characters return, and the battle scenes are as engaging as ever (depending on how well you think this movie has aged). "Return of the Jedi" is a satisfying conclusion to an epic trilogy and worth watching for story continuation, it may not be everybody's favorite of the original trilogy (although, there are fans out there), but it could've been worse..."Phantom Menace" worse...
  38. Dec 17, 2015
    Definitely the worst out of the Original series, but its still one hell of a film full of heart and a conclusion that really does leave you satisfied. In fact i would also say that this is probably one of the most memorable Star Wars films and easily the most entertaining out of the 3, it has a lot of action and really just feels like it was made to satisfy the fans. My biggest issue withDefinitely the worst out of the Original series, but its still one hell of a film full of heart and a conclusion that really does leave you satisfied. In fact i would also say that this is probably one of the most memorable Star Wars films and easily the most entertaining out of the 3, it has a lot of action and really just feels like it was made to satisfy the fans. My biggest issue with the film is how they handled everybody's favorite bounty hunter and the fact that the little bear cub people *im not a huge star wars fan boy dont kill me* are very irritating. Expand
  39. Dec 16, 2015
    Though wildly entertaining, fast-paced, enjoyable and having many of the things that made the previous films great, Return of the Jedi is a rushed and underwhelming conclusion to this great trilogy, even though it is plenty of fun. The majority of Return of the Jedi's faults have to do with the pacing; even though the film is fast-paced and never boring, the second and third act wereThough wildly entertaining, fast-paced, enjoyable and having many of the things that made the previous films great, Return of the Jedi is a rushed and underwhelming conclusion to this great trilogy, even though it is plenty of fun. The majority of Return of the Jedi's faults have to do with the pacing; even though the film is fast-paced and never boring, the second and third act were rushed and could have been paced better. Another issue with Return of the Jedi includes the similarities that it has with the original Star Wars rather than doing anything different (apart from the fantastic first act of the film). Even though this conclusion does not live up to the success of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi is still a fitting and an enjoyable conclusion. Expand
  40. Dec 15, 2015
    “The Empire Strikes Back” was an acclaimed masterpiece, but because of that a lot of people find “Return of the Jedi” to be not as good as the other two. It’s pretty easy to see why, I don’t really want to tell them to cut Jedi some slack and say “you shouldn’t expect much from it” since I find that logic kinda ludicrous. I mean, it’s the sequel to my favorite movie of all time, of course“The Empire Strikes Back” was an acclaimed masterpiece, but because of that a lot of people find “Return of the Jedi” to be not as good as the other two. It’s pretty easy to see why, I don’t really want to tell them to cut Jedi some slack and say “you shouldn’t expect much from it” since I find that logic kinda ludicrous. I mean, it’s the sequel to my favorite movie of all time, of course I’m gonna judge it by its own merits. I’m not going to give it some sort of handicap mainly because Empire was a sequel and it improved upon the first movie.

Luckily, I really enjoy watching Return of the Jedi, probably a lot more than most people. This is probably because Lawrence Kasdan returned as one of the writers and I credit every great moment in this movie to him. The other writer was actually George Lucas and… it’s pretty clear his creativity was nowhere near as great as Lawrence’s. Lucas’ writing here is nowhere near as bad as the Star Wars prequels, but it still isn’t as good.

While Jedi may not have pitch perfect storytelling like Empire did, the movie more than makes up for it with its creative personality. I LOVE the creature effects from Jim Henson’s Creature Shop. Every time you watch the opening in Jabba’s Palace, you notice a new alien species you never saw before (Also: I LOVE the Rancor. He’s such a cute, yet threatening muppet).

Now, the Ewoks? I… don’t hate the Ewoks. They are designed to sell some toys (I blame Lucas) and I don’t really like the idea that they helped diminished the Galactic Empire (which is why I’m kinda happy “The Force Awakens” is happening). However, I do think they provide some solid entertainment in the final battle and I’ll even admit I think they’re pretty cute. Plus, they’re nowhere near as useless as Jar Jar Binks. The space battles are also well done and ended up getting this movie the same Special Achievement Oscar the previous film got.

The best and strongest part of this movie, hands down, goes towards any scene featuring Luke & Vader. This is straight up Lawrence Kasdan’s doings since they maintain the same level of drama ‘Empire Strikes Back’ provided. I seriously think George Lucas had nothing to do with these scenes and probably took over the stuff on Endor once Lawrence got Luke off the planet and on the new Death Star. I love the engaging lightsaber battle near the end that’s commentated by the oh so evil Emperor. The Emperor is sort of like an Anti-Yoda, he uses the force for evil and also uses it for brutal attack. He’s the type of threatening villain you find entertaining and Ian McDiarmid’s voice does such a good job selling The Emperor.

John Williams’ film score is once again terrific and helps any scene in this movie become emotional and very involving. I love the Sarlaac Pit sequence’s score, the music that plays during Luke & Vader’s lightsaber duel, during the battle on Endor, and I also really like (and miss) the “Yub Nub” song the Ewoks sing at the end. It was so damn catchy.

The special edition for this movie seems to have gotten much worse with each release. Lucas got rid of “Yub Nub” and had John Williams compose a new song, which was alright but I miss Yub Nub… In the 2004 DVD, Lucas added that incredibly jarring & stupid “Jedi Rocks” music number that was added during a scene where Jabba brutally sacrifices one of his slaves to his pet Rancor. Yeah, mood whiplash seems to be something Lucas likes to do… And on the Blu-ray release, Lucas added an unneeded “NOOOOO!” during the climax where Vader saves Luke from the Emperor, ruining yet ANOTHER great scene (the first being Han blasting Greedo in the bar).

It’s safe to say that Return of the Jedi got the worst “Special Edition” out of the entire trilogy. The only thing I do like from this version was the newly designed poster. I like the green background and I like how Chewbacca is on it with Vader & Luke at the center frame. Disney & Fox need to get the original cuts of these movies on Blu-ray right now. Being forced to buy only the Special Editions is pretty pathetic.

With that said, I enjoy ROTJ. It’s not as perfect at Empire or even as great as Star Wars, but it was a fun and entertaining movie that gives the Original Trilogy a nice ending.
  41. Dec 13, 2015
    It's a pretty good conclusion to the classic trilogy, "Return of the Jedi" is overall a bit too long, but thankfully it entertains, thanks to its improved action beats and decent performances. Admittedly, the dialogue is repetitive. I can agree with that. How many times did the Emperor kept saying "Now you will die" or "This is the end of the rebellion"? Nevertheless, I liked theIt's a pretty good conclusion to the classic trilogy, "Return of the Jedi" is overall a bit too long, but thankfully it entertains, thanks to its improved action beats and decent performances. Admittedly, the dialogue is repetitive. I can agree with that. How many times did the Emperor kept saying "Now you will die" or "This is the end of the rebellion"? Nevertheless, I liked the atmosphere, the settings and the special effects were usually good. So friggin' excited for Force Awakens. Friday seems like a light year away.

Final Score: 8/10
  42. Dec 12, 2015
    Amazing movie and has a great end to darth vader. The emotion and amazing story that this movie has is amazing. (When I review Star Wars movies I say amazing a lot) This movie is awesome I have no idea on my the critics gave it 52 know idea. This movie was amazing.
  43. Dec 11, 2015
    The Star Wars franchise 'end' in one of the most uniquely way ever seen in movie history.

As expected; 'Star Wars: Return of The Jedi' continues where 'The Empire Strikes Back ended'. It starts with the same high-paced and highly entertaining plot as what the fifth entry had. The opening scene and its first 30 minutes are actually the best in the whole franchise. It continues with the fun and nuanced characters and the beloved chemistry we all have fallen in love with. Surely; it's no 'Empire Strikes Back', but it still stands out as a great film! It might be less inventive with a somewhat similar plot as episode four, and much less chemistry between characters. But it's still very good! We see Luke develop, changing to the better, having to choose from the better good or loose to the hate. A wonderful character arc! There's so much emotion to the movie too, not to mention depth and power to the plot! But as previously mentioned; it's not as stunning to the eye as the previous movie, not as flawless or powerful neither. But it still stands on its own as an entertaining and somewhat characteristic movie. Yes the effects are old; but it's very good for a movie that came out in the 80s, so don't you dare to criticize the movie because of that. One thing that drastically worsened the ending was the newer special edition. It totally ruined the ending. I mean Anakin Skywalker as a ghost, really?! Not to mention the stupid and unnecessary new CGI-footage. A stupid but understandable attempt to connect the prequel with the original movies.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi is an awesome movie. The story is magnificent and beautiful, not to mention the fantastic music, the great actors and the high amount of action! But it suffers with a less inventive plot and less depth to the characters.

Personal Rating: 80/100
    Critical Rating: 75/100
  44. Nov 28, 2015
    I've finally come to the finale of the original trilogy, and although I still can't say I'm a huge fan of the franchise, I've really enjoyed all three of the original Star Wars films, even if there are glaring flaws that no one seems to talk about. Of the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi definitely has the most noticeable problems, but it does end the series in a suitably ambitious andI've finally come to the finale of the original trilogy, and although I still can't say I'm a huge fan of the franchise, I've really enjoyed all three of the original Star Wars films, even if there are glaring flaws that no one seems to talk about. Of the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi definitely has the most noticeable problems, but it does end the series in a suitably ambitious and entertaining fashion. In Return of the Jedi, the Galactic Empire is building a second Death Star to finally destroy the Rebel Alliance, and Emperor Palpatine is personally overseeing the project. The Rebel Fleet launches a full-scale attack onto the Death Star in order to prevent its completion and kill Palpatine. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker attempts to bring Darth Vader out of the Dark Side of the Force. The action scenes in Episode VI are a bit more inconsistent than in the other movies, but I have to mention the speeder bike chase scenes. It's without a doubt my favorite scene in the series so far because it's so fast-paced, well shot and intense. It was definitely the highlight of the movie. One of the weaker action scenes was a bizarre set piece with the Ewoks. The entire scene was just awkward; I find it hard to believe that a primitive race of small hairy creatures armed with sticks could defeat the Imperial stormtroopers. Return of the Jedi also didn't improve on the cheesy father-son plot from The Empire Strikes Back. Watching Luke pitifully try to convince Darth Vader to step away from the Dark Side was groan-inducing. Nevertheless, the strengths of the Star Wars series are still on full display here. The utter imagination and detail put into the universe is incredible, and the film is just as exciting as its predecessors. Return of the Jedi isn't as competent as the previous films, but it is a satisfying and sporadically rousing conclusion. Expand
  45. Nov 27, 2015
    Return of the Jedi is the best and worst of the Star Wars trilogy. The film goes to the darkest places. The confrontation with the Emperor is the trilogy at its best and darkest. This final confrontation is the ultimate showdown that feels like what the trilogy has been building up to. The culmination of Luke’s character and the final fight between him and Vader. An epic space battleReturn of the Jedi is the best and worst of the Star Wars trilogy. The film goes to the darkest places. The confrontation with the Emperor is the trilogy at its best and darkest. This final confrontation is the ultimate showdown that feels like what the trilogy has been building up to. The culmination of Luke’s character and the final fight between him and Vader. An epic space battle swarming overhead. This is a big and grand epic finale that is bogged down by pacing issues. The fight on the ground while charming isn’t as interesting and not only is goofy but drags the film out. The opening Jabba fight feels disconnected and occasionally too showy. The film isn’t as character driven relying a lot on the flashyness of Star Wars and many characters outside of Luke and Vader aren’t given as much to do. Nonetheless, it is still good fun. For all the issues this film has there is still some amazing stuff some of the best ever. If the film could just tune out the lame stuff and pace itself better this could’ve been the best of the series arguably. Instead, this is the least of the trilogy as even the first one didn’t have any real issues. Still impressive though that a trilogy could have a solid run all the way through. Expand
  46. Nov 23, 2015
    Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi is another fantastic Star Wars film. There are so many great, unforgettable scenes from the sand barge to the speeder bikes to the mother of all space battles. The only real problem are those Ewoks. Seriously?! A bunch of teddy bears with rocks take down "an entire legion of [the emperor's] best men". Every time I see those stormtroopers panic,Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi is another fantastic Star Wars film. There are so many great, unforgettable scenes from the sand barge to the speeder bikes to the mother of all space battles. The only real problem are those Ewoks. Seriously?! A bunch of teddy bears with rocks take down "an entire legion of [the emperor's] best men". Every time I see those stormtroopers panic, throw aside all notion of tactics or strategy and run off willy-nilly into the bushes... Sigh. But still a great movie, though. Expand
  47. Nov 18, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A new Hope was brilliant, Empire Strikes Back was close to perfection... but this one wasn't so special. The first act set in Jabba's Palace was fine, but after that, when they go to the forest moon of Endor, meet the Ewoks and Luke confronts the Emperor, it just goes downhill. The scenes where Luke resists the Emperor's temptation are long and boring (apart from the lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader), and the Ewok scenes are ridiculous and cartoony. Honestly, it's a sad way to end such a great franchise. Expand
  48. Nov 7, 2015
    'Return of the Jedi' is a criminally underrated film. However, it is, admittedly, the weakest of the trilogy. The Ewoks are childish and the battle on Endor is not particularly believable, but its faults are redeemed by its better moments- in particular, the final space battle and the confrontation in the throne room. The film has a lot of heart, and the conclusion is a satisfying one of'Return of the Jedi' is a criminally underrated film. However, it is, admittedly, the weakest of the trilogy. The Ewoks are childish and the battle on Endor is not particularly believable, but its faults are redeemed by its better moments- in particular, the final space battle and the confrontation in the throne room. The film has a lot of heart, and the conclusion is a satisfying one of redemption. Expand
  49. Nov 2, 2015
    Этот фильм был рождён очень давно, но за всё это время постарел лишь лет на пять или десять, если придираться. Если говорить от души - ничуть фильм не постарел и жить будет ещё оооочень долго. ПС: у бога этой вселенной потрясающий талант создавать милых и симпатичных существ.Этот фильм был рождён очень давно, но за всё это время постарел лишь лет на пять или десять, если придираться. Если говорить от души - ничуть фильм не постарел и жить будет ещё оооочень долго. ПС: у бога этой вселенной потрясающий талант создавать милых и симпатичных существ.
  50. Oct 2, 2015
    This would had gotten a 10 like the other 4 and 5 episodes if they make the weakness MAKE SENSE. But forgetting all of this. The things I have to say are in the other Star Wars episode so I don't really have anything else to say.
  51. Sep 1, 2015
    A star striker that lights up the screen as the most empowering epic of the Star Wars legacy. The characters at this point have become attached sentiments of our intellectual foregoings. The one major weakness of the 3 original films were occasionally many sequences become derivative, there are some noticeable forced pieces in Return Of The Jedi, but it ends the series on a high note.
  52. Aug 17, 2015
    one of the worst star wars movies how does the empire get massacred by bares this movie is the 2nd worst star wars not as bad as episode 1 though its still bad though i hate how they changed the end to sell toys as well
  53. Aug 11, 2015
    This movie's metascore is the the same as Episodes I and II and is below Episode III. Something is seriously wrong here! Probably the most underrated movie in the Star Wars saga.
  54. Aug 10, 2015
    Despite it not being the best of the series, this one is still my favorite. The character development tops off here and is very nice to see the final battle all work out. The scene with Luke, Vader, and Palpatine in the throne room was one of the best final confrontations I have ever seen on film and it was a great payoff. The ewoks weren't really that needed but I can see why they wereDespite it not being the best of the series, this one is still my favorite. The character development tops off here and is very nice to see the final battle all work out. The scene with Luke, Vader, and Palpatine in the throne room was one of the best final confrontations I have ever seen on film and it was a great payoff. The ewoks weren't really that needed but I can see why they were there. After the film that was Empire Strikes Back, I can see why George thought that we needed that in the film. It was also a nice little ending to see Han and Liea get together and be happy. The scene with Vader and Luke at the end before the death star is a very touching scene before he died. It was also great to see Vader turn on his master and save the day. Bringing Qui Gon's wish from the Phantom Menace come to full conclusion. A great film that is by far the most underrated of the older movies. Expand
  55. Aug 10, 2015
    I honetly find this one overrated. Jabba is a bit weird and the ewoks are horrible, but it does still deliver some of the great things that made star wars what it is. The only thing I don't get though, is why yoda is telling him to fight when he was doing the opposite in the last movie. Overall it isn't as good as the first two, but still an enjoyable film.
  56. Aug 8, 2015
    While this movie did a good job concluding the character arc between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi is an underwhelming disappointment.

Rating: 7.5/10 Pros: +The conclusion of the character arc between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader is well-executed and reminds us that this is the core of the Star Wars saga. Cons: -Lack of significant

Rating: 7.5/10

Pros:

Cons:
    -Lack of significant character development. The revelation that Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker felt shoe-horned.
    -While they’re cute, The Ewoks had overstayed their onscreen presence.
    -The real antagonist which is The Emperor is a very one dimensional villain.
  57. Jul 15, 2015
    A great film, along with the others. I didn't have the privilege of watching this in theaters, but boy oh boy would it have been marvelous if I did. A must-see. Also, those Ewoks are annoyingly cute.
  58. Jun 10, 2015
    Shockingly seen by many as the weakest entry in the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi was easily my favorite one. Featuring far and away the most interesting story, Return of the Jedi is a blast that manages to make the two hours fly by at record speed. The acting is quite good for the most part (minus some minor slip ups), the story is phenomenal (religious undertones anyone?), and theShockingly seen by many as the weakest entry in the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi was easily my favorite one. Featuring far and away the most interesting story, Return of the Jedi is a blast that manages to make the two hours fly by at record speed. The acting is quite good for the most part (minus some minor slip ups), the story is phenomenal (religious undertones anyone?), and the special effects are top-notch. There was much criticism thrown towards the Ewoks, but I loved them. Not only are they adorable, but they were good characters. In addition, the showdown between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker, as well as that between the Emperor and Skywalker was riveting and really well done. The characters in this one continue to show incredible depth and really feel as though they are authentic humans. While Empire Strikes Back is also a very good film, the sufferings of being the middle film held it back from greatness. That problem does not exist in Return of the Jedi as not only does it end quite satisfactorily, but it does so after two hours of pure adrenaline and enjoyment. Well written, well directed, and all around well put together, Return of the Jedi is the strongest entry in the original trilogy. Expand
  59. May 30, 2015
    -----REDONE REVIEW-----

-----REDONE REVIEW-----

Return of the Jedi is simply a fantastic end to a fantastic saga—there’s no other way to put it. From the beginning featuring Jabba’s Palace to the end featuring the climactic fight between Luke and Vader, you know you’re in for a ride. Despite what most people say, I rather enjoy the Ewoks. They show that even the strangest can overcome the Empire. There’s simply no better way to end this great series…that is, until Disney reboots it.
  60. May 24, 2015
    The film is good, but not as good as others in the trilogy, but still has a good and interesting history, great special effects, and good action scenes.
  61. May 10, 2015
    I don't care whatever you have to say about Return Of The Jedi, it is awesome. It provides an unforgettable ending to a stellar franchise. It is smart, funny, action packed, and reveals everything the trilogy had to offer. Don't get me wrong, A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are WAY ahead of Return of The Jedi. Still. it is an awesome movie.
  62. May 5, 2015
    A decent finale to the star wars saga, well no longer finale ;). if it werent for the ewoks and the lame way the empire goes out, this could have been the greatest in the franchise
  63. Apr 28, 2015
    The best in the franchise, this movie is perfect barring the one janky moment at the end involving the picking up and throwing of a certain person by another person (if you watch it you'll know the one, it looks absolutely hilarious and ridiculous). The acting isn't fantastic but you shouldn't be expecting that from a Star Wars film. Otherwise, the best plot of the three movies in theThe best in the franchise, this movie is perfect barring the one janky moment at the end involving the picking up and throwing of a certain person by another person (if you watch it you'll know the one, it looks absolutely hilarious and ridiculous). The acting isn't fantastic but you shouldn't be expecting that from a Star Wars film. Otherwise, the best plot of the three movies in the original trilogy, and a fantastic conclusion to the series (until episode 7 is released). Expand
  64. Apr 24, 2015
    There's an old saying that states something about leaving the best for last. George Lucas certainly didn't follow that adage when crafting the original Star Wars trilogy. Return of the Jedi, the final installment of the series, is easily the least innovative and most hokey of the three films. In fact, most of the enjoyment derived from this motion picture comes from the simple act ofThere's an old saying that states something about leaving the best for last. George Lucas certainly didn't follow that adage when crafting the original Star Wars trilogy. Return of the Jedi, the final installment of the series, is easily the least innovative and most hokey of the three films. In fact, most of the enjoyment derived from this motion picture comes from the simple act of getting together with old friends and enemies one more time. If Luke, Han, Leia, and Vader were replaced by nameless, faceless characters, Return of the Jedi wouldn't be a whole lot more interesting than Independence Day.

Cuteness is the watchword here. The dark, eerie atmosphere that oozed from every frame of The Empire Strikes Back is gone. Instead, for Return of the Jedi, we have good triumphing decisively over evil, a too-pat resolution to a love triangle, and walking teddy bears. Even Darth Vader doesn't seem very daunting this time around. With the arrival of the Emperor (a gaunt-looking Ian McDiarmid), Vader has turned into a second fiddle. It's decidedly unsatisfactory to watch him engage Luke in a civilized conversation.

Return of the Jedi has some interesting elements. The Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes are suitably tense and well-acted, and, if the resolution isn't a complete surprise, at least it's a little more original that it could have been. From a technical point-of-view, the space battles are amazing, easily dwarfing anything depicted in the previous films. Not only are there many, many more ships, but their speed and range of movement have been dramatically improved. On one level, Return of the Jedi is almost worth watching for the special effects. In the Special Edition, a new, equally repugnant dance number has been added to the Jabba the Hutt scene. Additionally, there are some impressive touches tacked onto the ending. Once again, while the improvements don't significantly alter the viewing experience, they're fun to spot.

While there isn't much of a down side to Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi has some serious drawbacks. First and foremost are the Ewoks, an unbearably cuddly race that seem handpicked to generate toy sales. Children enjoy these creatures; everyone I know over age 12 finds them insufferably annoying. Then there's the unbelievably cheap cop-out that Lucas uses to erase the Luke/Han/Leia triangle. Whether Lucas had this in mind from the beginning is irrelevant -- it's a bad idea. Not only does it defuse romantic tension, but it leaves viewers shaking their heads in incredulity. There are other problems too -- the death toll on the rebel side seems shockingly small for a "final battle" and a bit of foreshadowing regarding the Millennium Falcon's fate is thrown out the window. Of course, I could also make the rather obvious observation that large elements of Return of the Jedi are lifted from the original Star Wars, indicating that the creative wellspring of writers George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan had perhaps run dry.

Although it was great fun re-watching Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back again on the big screen, Return of the Jedi doesn't generate the same sense of enjoyment. And, while Lucas worked diligently to re-invigorate each entry into the trilogy, Jedi needs more than the patches of improved sound, cleaned-up visuals, and a few new scenes. Still, despite the flaws, this is still Star Wars, and, as such, represents a couple of lightly-entertaining hours spent with characters we have gotten to know and love over the years. Return of the Jedi is easily the weakest of the series, but its position as the conclusion makes it a must-see for anyone who has enjoyed its predecessors.
  65. Apr 19, 2015
    10/10, it's an outstanding film that doesn't rely on its predecessors. Great special effects, terrific performances, overall an amazing way to end the original trilogy. Personally I think Return of the Jedi is BETTER than Episode 4.
  66. Apr 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Queen of spleen critic Pauline Kael called it "an impersonal and rather junky piece of moviemaking" while the rest of the world clearly thought otherwise (and so did the Oscar Academy, who gave it five nominations and one gong — for best special visual effects). Certainly, Marquand's 1983 take comes across as peculiarly anodyne after the broad sweeps of darkness and disturbing drama of Irvin Kershner's The Empire Strikes Back, and many cast members recall this as their least favourite of the trilogy.

In this final episode (of the middle trilogy at least), the evil Empire has managed to claw back power and get a substantial way through construction of a new and even more powerful Death Star — although Darth Vader (Dave Prowse, voiced by James Earl Jones) is not satisfied with progress and tries to chivy things along before the arrival of the awe-inspiring Emperor (Ian McDiarmid). Luke Skywalker (Hamill) has gone to Tattooine to rescue Han Solo (Ford) from evil crimelord and giant lump-of-lard Jabba The Hut, before the rebels regroup to launch an attack on the Empire's Death Star Mark II. Business as usual.

Despatched to a forest on a neighbouring planet to close down A Death Star's shield before a Rebellion attack clincher, the heroes come across some the cutesy Ewoks — who ruin this film for many purist Star far fans, but who nevertheless prove pivotal in destroying the Empire. 0h, and the romance between Solo and Princess Leia (Fisher) comes on strong.

Marquand was manifestly more interested in the furry creatures than he was in the Death Star, the battle in the sky or even the Emperor and extraordinary lackey Vader. That said the asthmatic one's inner conflict will the good that Skywalker uncovers makes for stirring stuff, as is his son's emerging struggle with the dark side (styled on Kurosawa). The final dramatic redemption and defeat of evil is as satisfying to watch many years on as it was to the crowds of weenies ignoring the deeper conflicts.

The special effects are the best of the original trilogy — the six years between this and Star Wars allowed ILM to increase its talents tenfold and produced the coolest (speeder) bike chase in movies — and ironically benefits the most from Lucas' latterday overhaul. Probably the weakest in the original trilogy, but still a worthy finale to an epoch defining franchise.

The most disappointing of the original three episodes but still charming and thrilling.
  67. Mar 13, 2015
    What's this? If Randall saying in Clerks 2 LOTR is 3 film about walking Star Wars is 3 film about rescue, rescue, and rescue. The first film: rescue princess leia, the second film: rescue Luke Skywalker and the third film: rescue Han Solo. I guess Lucas have no idea with his story. It's too lame, too long and poor storytelling just about rescue in space.
  68. Mar 11, 2015
    Not the strongest out of the original trilogy, but far stronger than the prequels combined. To me, the Ewoks didn't do very much to help the story in Episode VI, but there is still plenty of action, emotion and some more mysteries between characters are revealed.
  69. Mar 8, 2015
    probably the one of the worst film ever made. i mean the worst film to the end of the series. even the phantom menace is better. the plot was terrible. i don't know why george lucas written return of jedi so awful. the only one good thing from this movie: visual effects.
  70. Feb 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one is OK, just OK. After the good 'Star Wars' and the great 'Empire Strikes Back', you see 'Return of the Jedi', and *SPOILER ALERT*, the good guys win. Of course everyone wants to see the good guys win, but announcing the outcome in the title is not exactly a smart move. Nor were the Ewoks, and the ending party didn't need to last as long as it did. Then again, the scenes with the Emperor are legitimately pretty creepy, and who can forget the (take your pick of stupidly awesome or awesomely stupid) line "IT'S A TRAP!!" 'Jedi' is the weakest link in the original trilogy for its tonal inconsistencies, but it is still far better than any of the prequels. Expand
  71. Jan 26, 2015
    [Portuguese] A saga Star Wars é muito boa, porém não foi um bom modo de acabar, e não teve nada de muito memorável no filme inteiro, mas merece ser chamado de um bom filme ainda sim.
  72. Jan 2, 2015
    This film is a bit sloppy at times compared to the rest of the trilogy, but it delivers the epic conclusion to our favourite sci fi franchise we've all been looking for! The dark side toys with Luke, keeping the dark tone from the previous film, and the fight between Vader and Luke is so savagely executed that it's the most thrilling of the original trilogy to watch! The battles are epic,This film is a bit sloppy at times compared to the rest of the trilogy, but it delivers the epic conclusion to our favourite sci fi franchise we've all been looking for! The dark side toys with Luke, keeping the dark tone from the previous film, and the fight between Vader and Luke is so savagely executed that it's the most thrilling of the original trilogy to watch! The battles are epic, which is what you hope for in a film like this, and despite the Ewoks being a little silly, they still hold an ace battle against the storm troopers. Still good direction in the film and superb acting, but a little shadowed by the behemoth that was episode V.
    Anyway, now that i have reviewed all star wars films, i'll put them in order with my full score.
    1. Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back 97/100
    2. Episode 4 - A New Hope 90/100
    3. Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi 86/100
    4. Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith 81/100
    5. Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace 66/100
    6. Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones 54/100
  73. Oct 18, 2014
    The Millennnium Falcon flashes through hyperspace and creatures from all over the galaxy defy the Galactic Empire. After rescuing Han Solo (Ford) and Leia (Fisher) from certain doom at the hands of crime lord Jabba the Hutt, Luke (Hamill) rejoins Yoda. Only by completing his Jedi training can he become a true Jedi Knight and defeat Darth Vader and the dark side of the Force.
  74. Aug 28, 2014
    The final part of the old movies - and the last one in the saga of Star Wars.

The final part of the old movies - and the last one in the saga of Star Wars.

Luke Skywalker has now become a Jedi (where and how, I do not know, and he isn't Jedi just yet, according to Yoda, but he seems a lot more certain about his powers than before). Upon returning to Yoda, he realizes there is one more thing for him left to do before he can call himself a Jedi Knight; to face Darth Vader, who once was Anakin Skywalker, his father.

Orbiting the forest moon of Endor, a new Death Star is being constructed. Is it pure coincidence that the Emperor himself is there to over-see the last stages of construction, or is there a greater evil plot stewing?

In a final attempt to strike down the Empire, the Rebels land on Endor to enable an attack on the Death Star itself. They are met by sweet, furry teddy bears called Ewoks, who despite their small size seem to have a lot of spunk in them.

Before all this can happen, though, Han Solo must be rescued from his predicament on Tatooine... While the events there are quite insignificant compared to the final battle, it is amusing and brings us together with the old team we've grown to like and dislike by now.

The movie moves forward quickly, and we continue where "Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" left us. The action sequences are pretty good. The only scenes that actually drag forward are the ones where the Emperor is trying to make Luke join the Dark Side of the Force. When things finally start moving there as well, it's a bit of a relief. A good ending, no doubt.
  75. Jul 20, 2014
    There is a videogame maxim that should've been applied to this movie. "Everything should have consequences".

Now Episode 4 suffered from a thick plot that didn't give time for enough character development, Episode 5 ended up being a big scary BOO to the audience that didn't pay off with any serious consequences, except Han Solo's "temporary death". Return of the Jedi doesn't have any

Return of the Jedi doesn't have any of these problems I guess, the payoff's there, the characters have greatly matured since the last movies, especially Luke, and I appreciate the progress in every aspect.

Now a lot of people would point out that this is again a Death Star to destroy, and again it's about a magical hole to destroy the Death Star, and again it's about Vader VS Luke.

Personally, I don't even see that as criticism. It's the third movie in a trilogy, you're surprised that it's like the two others? I don't mind the lack of originality at all, and the slight differences in plot twists and surprises are largely enough to keep me interested through and through.

The problem is simply the numerous inconsequential elements of this movie, which pop out even more than in the last two ones.

The Empire captures Han's party? Eh, the Ewoks will free them.
    The Ewoks bring virtually nothing but cute teddy bears to the Star Wars universe? Eh, it's no matter.
    The Imperial Fleet gets to attack the much smaller Rebel Fleet? Eh, it's ok, they'll still survive until the end cause the plot demands it.
    Luke tries to sways his father back to the Light Side? Eh, he won't do it.
    Luke is actually about to die? Eh, he'll turn to the Light Side to save him.

It's as entertaining as the last ones if you ask me, slightly less maybe, but not by a decisive margin. The only thing is, while Empire Strikes Back felt like a big scary phantom that ended up being empty threats at the end, this one feels like...nothing.

No real terrible things happen, everything ends up fine as can be, nothing bad that happens ever lasts for a long time if it's about the characters we know and like.

The ultimate example of this movie's problems? The moment where Luke throws away his lightsaber after realising that he's becoming like his father, a pawn of the Emperor.

"Very well, come to my side and take your father's place!"
    "Nope."
    ".........oh well then, I guess my plan is ruined and I'll just kill you."

Well for something that's been built up for 20 minutes, that was a quickly ended climax.
  76. May 3, 2014
    The main problems that keep this sequel from being amazing are firstly the ewoks. The worst part of the original trilogy by far. Next is the movie starts strong and comes to a screeching hault when we arrive on endor. And the movie doesnt keep the dark tone set up in Empire, it regresses and goes the other way. However there is lots to love in this film. overall it is a ddecent film
  77. Apr 23, 2014
    Return of the Jedi is on a slightly lower plateau than the first two due to bad editing and loose screenplay. However, it's still a pretty good conclusion to these movies.
  78. Jan 4, 2014
    I'm not a massive fan of Star Wars but Return of the Jedi has enough exceptional sci-fi elements and adventurous feelings for it to be a satisfying conclusion to the original Star Wars trilogy.
  79. Sep 9, 2013
    [6.7] This movie really marks the beginning of Lucas's inconsistencies. It isn't as well written as the first two, and it basically is a repeat of both of these movies. It loses its structured story elements and trades them in for nostalgia.
  80. Jul 15, 2013
    This is a fun film (however it is the worst of the original trilogy), full of great visuals, creatures, action sequences and has some great acting in there. However, it gets over the top with some of its creatures, but never ceases to entertain. This film is a great addition to Star Wars, and is another highly respected movie on my list.
  81. Jul 5, 2013
    While not as resonant as "Empire Strikes Back", and not as original as the first, "Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi" may be the weakest of the original trilogy, but its still pretty good with a great ending climax that is sure to not disappoint most Star Wars fans.
  82. Jun 9, 2013
    Such a great series and what a terrible way to end it. Honestly, Did not like a single thing about this movie. It was just incredibly stupid and corny. Very disappointing.
  83. May 12, 2013
    Critics say this is the worst movie or the old trilogy or below this standard of its predecessors, but in my opinion he is the same level as the others, because in addition to closing the old trilogy decent shape, it has everything a fan of Star Wars or the iconic characters, a new kind of Ets, and epic duel Luke and D.Vather.
  84. Mar 8, 2013
    Good start, good end. Bad ewok and Death Star II storyline. Also, Yoda tells Luke not to face Vader in Empire Strikes Back, and that his Jedi training is not complete. But in this one, Yoda tells him all he needs to do to complete his training is to face Vader. What's that all about? This movie could easily have been better. Worst of the Original trilogy, but I'd still call it better thanGood start, good end. Bad ewok and Death Star II storyline. Also, Yoda tells Luke not to face Vader in Empire Strikes Back, and that his Jedi training is not complete. But in this one, Yoda tells him all he needs to do to complete his training is to face Vader. What's that all about? This movie could easily have been better. Worst of the Original trilogy, but I'd still call it better than Revenge Of The Sith. Expand
  85. Dec 8, 2012
    The was a few problems with this film, and it wasn't as good some the other two in the trilogy however, this was still a great film and the score of 52 by critics is BS.
  86. Dec 4, 2012
    This movie wasn't quite as good as the previous two, but I remember really enjoying it as a kind and it wrapped up the original Trilogy nicely and had lots of new vehicles and characters to keep us entertained. Yeah I was gonna give it a 9 but I'm thinking back and I loved this movie when it was released too so I'm bumping it up to a 10. If it's not a 10, it's like a 9.8 at least anyway.This movie wasn't quite as good as the previous two, but I remember really enjoying it as a kind and it wrapped up the original Trilogy nicely and had lots of new vehicles and characters to keep us entertained. Yeah I was gonna give it a 9 but I'm thinking back and I loved this movie when it was released too so I'm bumping it up to a 10. If it's not a 10, it's like a 9.8 at least anyway. It's still way better than the prequels lol. Expand
  87. Dec 4, 2012
    The chronological final installment (for now!) of the storied Star Wars film franchise does not disappoint in any way. One of the best examples of bringing closure to a series of movies, where ends are tied and threads are brought closure. The sequence of events are amazing, and the drama is at a high pitch. Everything I wanted in a finale.
  88. Nov 20, 2012
    While I still enjoyed this, I found it slightly inferior to the earlier films. The Ewoks were kind of a waste of space, the action was slightly lack luster, however the scenes of Tatooine were amzing, the climatic battle with the Death Star and Vader were equally brilliant, so it can be excused for its flaws.
  89. Nov 12, 2012
    The film is slow and monotonous, at least, until the very end, which is powerful, and is remembered as a classic movie sequence.
  90. Oct 31, 2012
    Return of the Jedi is the final chapter in the Star Wars saga. It ties up all the lose ends and leaves nothing unanswered which is impressive to say the least. After losing hold of the galaxy to the Empire the last Jedi, Luke Skywalker, fights the Empire at its heart against Darth Vader and the Emperor. The story at this point becomes slightly cliche but it can be forgiven for its awesomeReturn of the Jedi is the final chapter in the Star Wars saga. It ties up all the lose ends and leaves nothing unanswered which is impressive to say the least. After losing hold of the galaxy to the Empire the last Jedi, Luke Skywalker, fights the Empire at its heart against Darth Vader and the Emperor. The story at this point becomes slightly cliche but it can be forgiven for its awesome fight scenes and great CGI. Expand
  91. Oct 25, 2012
    Yes this movie isn't quite as good as the first two, but it is still a masterpiece. In fact I dare say that this is one of the few great threequels in existence. The only other ones that I can think of are The Dark Knight Rises, Toy Story 3 and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. That's about all I can think of right now when it comes to GOOD threequels. I mean, Pirates of theYes this movie isn't quite as good as the first two, but it is still a masterpiece. In fact I dare say that this is one of the few great threequels in existence. The only other ones that I can think of are The Dark Knight Rises, Toy Story 3 and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. That's about all I can think of right now when it comes to GOOD threequels. I mean, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 sucked hard and it was as disappointing as Spiderman 3 and Shrek the Third. Why do people tend to say they hate this one?

It's really infuriating when people say that this is the worst of all the Star Wars movies. It isn't. The worst one is The Clone Wars, a movie with TV production standards, literally. I loved (almost) every single minute of this timeless science-fantasy classic, and I still love it.

Return of the Jedi is uneven at times but it all works really well as an entertaining epic for almost everyone. Star Wars will always be the franchise that started it all, the series that changed cinema forever and will last until the end of time.

I hope you enjoyed this review, and may the force be with you.
  92. Sep 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the movies i will remember for all my life, and it will always be a classic. It's the finale to Star Wars and it's in my opinion the best of the star wars movies. The different sceneries are amazing, you can't really expect what will happen next and the characters are very deep, It generally has an epic feel. Especially the scenes with Vader, Sidious and Luke get so tense you can feel their emotions even when they are not talking. And ofcourse the father-son relationship prevails. Hurray-Hurray. A must see for me! Expand
  93. Sep 9, 2012
    An incredible sequel of the Star Wars saga, The ultimate film of the first trilogy has more adventure and less dark compared to the empire strikes back. The scene of the spaceships battle against the Deathstar continues to amazing me I still loving that movie like all of them.
  94. Aug 18, 2012
    The late Richard Marquand got the nod as the director over the superior Kershner, director of Empire Strikes Back. That's not to say he didn't craft an interesting film, but many of the superior forces in Empire were lacking. The film never truly reaches 'crisis' state, as it aspires to so often, and leaves one feeling like the characters are never in any true peril. A somewhat missedThe late Richard Marquand got the nod as the director over the superior Kershner, director of Empire Strikes Back. That's not to say he didn't craft an interesting film, but many of the superior forces in Empire were lacking. The film never truly reaches 'crisis' state, as it aspires to so often, and leaves one feeling like the characters are never in any true peril. A somewhat missed opportunity in the franchise, but still a worthy conclusion. Expand
  95. Aug 9, 2012
    This is the movie that turned my world upside down!! I am an absolute Star Wars geek!! I have a huge collection of figures and even a tattoo of the Imperial logo on my leg. Return of the Jedi is what grabbed me and pulled me into the Star Wars galaxy. I absolutely loved this movie growing up. It's definitely my favorite Star Wars film. Empire is a close second though. The only thing thatThis is the movie that turned my world upside down!! I am an absolute Star Wars geek!! I have a huge collection of figures and even a tattoo of the Imperial logo on my leg. Return of the Jedi is what grabbed me and pulled me into the Star Wars galaxy. I absolutely loved this movie growing up. It's definitely my favorite Star Wars film. Empire is a close second though. The only thing that drives me nuts about the movies is when George Lucas had to "touch it up" and he added that horrendous redone band scene in jabbas palace. Every time I see that it makes me cringe. Other than that hands down best Star Wars movie ever and definitely the best fiction ever!!! The Star Wars galaxy is one of the greatest things ever created for sci-fi dudes!! Expand
  96. Aug 1, 2012
    Yes, Return isn't as good as the first 2 movies, but it is definitely better than a 52. That's the same score as Attack of the Clones! I wish George Lucas would've made some sequels, though.
  97. Jul 12, 2012
    Its not as good as the franchises' first two installments, but Return of the Jedi rounds the series off on a high note, particularly with the powerhouse ending.
  98. May 28, 2012
    I find this Star Wars to be the best of the sequel trilogy. A dozen vital questions in the saga are answered here. It all feels like it ends to quickly despite the long running time, but the story is anything but thin. I find this Star Wars to flesh out the characters way more than the others.
  99. May 18, 2012
    Of the original trilogy this is undoubtedly the weakest film. However this does not make it a BAD film - just far less impressing than A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Despite this, it is still an exciting film that could have been done far worse and serves up as a satisfactory, if not perfect, ending to one of the best science fiction films of all time. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Ernest Leogrande
    May 10, 2016
    Among the ties with the past, the opening portion introduces a comic orgy that is deliberate parallel cantina scene in “Star Wars” and among the new thrills there is an airborne vehicle chase through a forest, projected at a speed to leave audiences dizzy.
  2. The dialogue is repetitive ("I won't give in to the dark side of the Force!" "You will!") and significant characters from earlier films -- notably bounty hunter Boba Fett and Yoda -- are dispatched without fanfare, and the whole business has a slightly rushed, perfunctory feel at the same time that it feels oddly attenuated.