TriStar Pictures | Release Date: November 7, 1997
8.9
Universal acclaim based on 360 Ratings
WATCH NOW
rastapastaOct 11, 2012
Much like Transformers, you can only enjoy this movie if you can settle with solid special effects, boatloads of bullets, severed limbs and explosions, and awful characters and horrendous script. And causal nudity. Nothing more then a guiltyMuch like Transformers, you can only enjoy this movie if you can settle with solid special effects, boatloads of bullets, severed limbs and explosions, and awful characters and horrendous script. And causal nudity. Nothing more then a guilty pleasure, through and through. Expand
AndyM.Oct 3, 2008
One thing that immediately struck me about the film was the absolute gender equality that seemed to be present in this society. Such an aspect starts out as being novel and inspiring, until you realize it's just an excuse for the One thing that immediately struck me about the film was the absolute gender equality that seemed to be present in this society. Such an aspect starts out as being novel and inspiring, until you realize it's just an excuse for the filmmakers to put hot women in scenes which would otherwise be all-male. In addition, the themes of war and violent conflict are addressed, as well as the morality of the destruction of life that may be sentient and intelligent. But these thought-provoking concepts are quickly thrown away for more entertaining things like dramatic visuals and gore. It is an entertaining picture, I'll give it that. The "brain bug" that is apparently intelligent looks like it has a vagina on its face. Yet, there are so many ridiculous things... the prominent one being the strange ability for overgrown bugs to attack other planets, yet without any kind of tool use other than "throwing a meteor". Additionally, I was constantly wondering why these troopers went around blasting fruitlessly at this unaffected bug-monsters with rifles, when they could just drop a huge bomb and be done with it! Oh, right, classic weapons make better cinema. I mean, despite the faults, one should watch it for free on hulu.com, while it's up. Otherwise... you could skip it. Expand
4 of 5 users found this helpful
TomTMar 8, 2007
A thought-provoking, entertaining sci-fi action film based on Robert A. Heinlein's Hugo award winning classic sci fi military novel..that is not for the squeamish, the humorless or the knee jerk, politically correct.
2 of 3 users found this helpful
A.NonymousNov 15, 2007
It may not be the most original, epic or awe-inspiring movie ever, but it's FUN. You remember that? FUN? The thing we used to have before every movie is now rejected if it isn't a Jane Austen drama?
1 of 2 users found this helpful
FluxX.Oct 6, 2005
Astonishingly awful film, thanks to the plot and dialogue and acting. I think that's why I dislike it so; since they had the special effects and budget and even the fascist satire angle to make a good film. They just ruined it with the Astonishingly awful film, thanks to the plot and dialogue and acting. I think that's why I dislike it so; since they had the special effects and budget and even the fascist satire angle to make a good film. They just ruined it with the impossibly insipid cutie teen actors and the complete idiocy of their every action. If you completely unplug your brain you might be able to sit through this one for the pretty colors and explosions, but any thought will doom your enjoyment. Why do humans go down on planets that are death traps? Why don't they have insecticide or lasers or virtually anything that would work better than the completely ineffective machine guns? Why don't humans just nuke all the planets? How did the bugs evolve their abilities to shoot things into orbit? How do the bugs live without any food or water on their planets? How do they throw a rock millions of lightyears through space in a few months without space ships or any sort of technology? How can they aim it once they throw it? Why didn't they just throw a rock big enough to extinguish life on earth in the first place? I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Dumbest movie ever. Expand
1 of 4 users found this helpful
WeyesSep 10, 2010
Horrifically cheesy. I'm still trying to decide whether or not this film wants its audience to take it seriously. Even if it doesn't, as a satire it still remains as a big fat nothing of a blockbuster - all attempts at drama die in secondsHorrifically cheesy. I'm still trying to decide whether or not this film wants its audience to take it seriously. Even if it doesn't, as a satire it still remains as a big fat nothing of a blockbuster - all attempts at drama die in seconds and tragedy doesn't seem to exist in this ridiculous space age. Of course the themes are 'there' but what of them? The film makes no effort to extend a single message, or point. If it's not supposed to be taken seriously, the film sure fails at making that clear in the first place. Expand
pgmarkDec 16, 2010
Different at the time.... rather funny and great anti war type of message to it. I saw it on cable first but I have to admit I've watched it a few times since through the years. Worth watching and there is definitely much worse ways to spend time.
Delta_AssaultSep 28, 2011
I gotta say... I **** hate this goddamn movie. It's sad, cause I remembering being a kid, sitting in a theater and first seeing the trailer for the movie back in the day, and thinking that this was gonna be the greatest movie ever made.I gotta say... I **** hate this goddamn movie. It's sad, cause I remembering being a kid, sitting in a theater and first seeing the trailer for the movie back in the day, and thinking that this was gonna be the greatest movie ever made. Because it looked like everything a 12 year old boy would like. It was a huge galactic war against hordes of giant vicious aliens and there were enormous military starships and marines with big guns and they use nukes and there's blood and guts and heroism. What's not to like, right? It basically looked like a 90s version of James Cameron's Aliens, with all the advantages of modern CGI (This was back in 1997, back before we learned how **** CGI could be). Also, I read the book, and really liked it. So... big big fan and uh, eagerly awaited the release.

And then it finally came out and... man, it was NOT a 90s version of James Cameron's Aliens. Not at all. It was this ****ty mess with horrible acting from terrible yet attractive actors and this silly comedic tone and idiotic tactics like parking your starships all together so they're sitting ducks and crashing into one another with the slightest provocation. And uh, Dina Meyers was flat.

Probably the most disappointing film I've ever seen.
TickDec 16, 2014
One of my favourite movies of all time. Some people went in to see some political revival of the novel series, but the director took a more light and satirical look at the premise. The technology simply wasn't there at the time to do bugs,One of my favourite movies of all time. Some people went in to see some political revival of the novel series, but the director took a more light and satirical look at the premise. The technology simply wasn't there at the time to do bugs, power armour and realistic other races etc. There was no point in having any of that being done half-assed. They went with the Core, the bugs, then built a story around that.

I can watch this movie over and over, and only 4 other movies have that same award, True Lies being one of those.

This movie was nothing like the book, and it wasn't supposed to be. I liked the book a lot, and I liked this movie a lot. They were different entities, anyone not getting that missed the point.

Sure, if they do a revival they can expand on some of it, but to capture the book they will need to make a trilogy or more films, and that is doubtful, as it isn't a recent Teen-bought novel series.
DuckNationMay 27, 2014
"This is for all you new people: I only have one rule. Everyone fights. No one quits. You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself. You get me?"

Starship Troopers is such a underrated movie and clearly seeing by the 6.4 rating here on Listal most the people just don't see how awesome this movie is. With an entertaining plot supported by a great cast and a great mix of gory action and cheesy dialog its for sure one of my favorite sci-fi action movies of all time its also another one of the many great action flicks i grew up on. Paul Verhoeven director of other great action movies like RoboCop and Total Recall has always been one of my favorite directors and it saddens me to see to see his great movies get Hollywood remade and they just end up being total garbage seriously both the 2012 remake of Total Recall and 2014's RoboCop remake sucked hardcore.

The film follows Johnny Rico(Casper Van Dien) a high school jock and soon school will be over and he is not 100% sure what to do. After graduation he finally decides to enlist into the military as combat infantry because his girlfriend Carmen Ibanez(Denise Richards) is also going into the military but as a spaceship pilot. During combat training war breaks out when a alien bug race sends a meteor to earth destroying Rico's home city. Soon Rico and others are shipped out to war but they find that they underestimated the bugs and many more people die, we soon see him go from a rookie to a seasoned solider leading his own squad. The film has some great gory action scenes no short of seeing people get their body gets ripped apart also the CGI was amazing for its time, the spaceships, planets, alien plasma, all looked great.

Another great thing about the movie was both Denise Richards and Dina Meyer sure Denise's character was annoying and i personally would rather had they kill her off rather then Dizzy(Dina Meyer) but they both are sexy as hell in the movie, even today they still look great i don't care what anyone says also great seeing Neil Patrick Harris in this however little that my be.
brichardsonNov 26, 2013
They're doing their part. Are you? Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

i'm doing my part.
would you like to know more????
NuxesMay 21, 2006
The only people who don't like this movie are the one who don't get it. Yes, it's supposed to be cheesey. Yes, there are a lot of things left unexplained. No, it's not Star Wars. It's a 1940s John Wayne movie set in The only people who don't like this movie are the one who don't get it. Yes, it's supposed to be cheesey. Yes, there are a lot of things left unexplained. No, it's not Star Wars. It's a 1940s John Wayne movie set in space. The beauty of this movie is its simplicity. It allows us to see common themes in all war movies. It also helps to read the book, especially to get a feeling of the society. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
JCDec 9, 2007
An honest attempt at adapting the book to the screen.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
NF123Aug 19, 2010
Works much better as a satire then an action movie and as a satire it's pretty good. Not exactly 'Dr Strangelove' or 'Brazil' but still works in it's own way! The major problem I have with this film is they're the least convincing high schoolWorks much better as a satire then an action movie and as a satire it's pretty good. Not exactly 'Dr Strangelove' or 'Brazil' but still works in it's own way! The major problem I have with this film is they're the least convincing high school students ever to be put into film. Also Satire is supposed to be at least a bit light hearted while this takes itself more seriously then 'The Postman' Expand
DoniazadeFeb 18, 2011
A moderately entertaining but incredibly stupid action flick that doesn't even come close to the book. Grab some popcorn and turn off your brain and it'll be pretty decent, but don't expect anything incredible.
rotkuFeb 3, 2012
Tongue and cheek sci fi at its best. Doesn't take itself too seriously and once you don't take the movie too seriously either and enjoy it for what it, is a human kick alien butt sci-fi action movie with major plot holes, unbelievableTongue and cheek sci fi at its best. Doesn't take itself too seriously and once you don't take the movie too seriously either and enjoy it for what it, is a human kick alien butt sci-fi action movie with major plot holes, unbelievable swings/changes in how the aliens act and characters so wooden you could build a raft with them, 50's B movie stock given a nineties twist....classic. Expand
frankspijkerAug 27, 2012
Starship Troopers is one of the most misunderstood movies of all time. Its cheesy acting, its extreme violence, its incredible visuals. It does these things so well that people misunderstand it. It pretends to be an action movie whileStarship Troopers is one of the most misunderstood movies of all time. Its cheesy acting, its extreme violence, its incredible visuals. It does these things so well that people misunderstand it. It pretends to be an action movie while it's much more than that. What's so incredible about the movie is that it suggests that Americans and Nazi's with their propaganda are just the same when it they are at war. They were/are both full of irrational hatred(''First comes sorrow, then anger'') when they are at war. This movie has a message, it's an anti-war movie. ''People seem to have this strange idea that films can influence people to be violent, but in my sincere opinion film only reflects the violence of society.'' a quote from the director himself. He did the same with Robocop, but in this movie it's harder to notice.

I find it very hard to explain it's message so if you think this movie is just a dumb action movie watch the film-commentary of the movie. It explains it all.
MilitaiziJun 9, 2012
Very humoristic movie and entertaining, it's a pity that the sequels didn't get to the same level. First thought this as a B-class movie, and that it was, in the best possible way.
SpangleNov 6, 2015
Paul Verhoeven's films are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. Incredibly juvenile, obnoxious, and loud, Starship Troopers is a ton of fun. However, it is an incredibly smart film that aces its satirical goals. The acting is bad, the nudity isPaul Verhoeven's films are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. Incredibly juvenile, obnoxious, and loud, Starship Troopers is a ton of fun. However, it is an incredibly smart film that aces its satirical goals. The acting is bad, the nudity is unnecessary, and the gore is excessive, but it is fun and has some great special effects. The satirical element, as I said, is great. It really skewers the military industrial complex of our country and the blind loyalty we have towards the military. Honestly, it is not hard to draw comparisons between the depicted conflict and the ones we currently find ourselves in. Thus, no matter how loud and juvenile it can be, this fantastic satire truly elevates it multiple levels for me. Plus, as I said, Paul Verhoeven's films are a guilty pleasure of mine at this point. The aesthetic and visual style he uses is great to me. As a whole, Starship Troopers is very much imperfect, but more than accomplishes the goals it set for itself. Expand
kane148Nov 23, 2012
This movie is a guilty pleasure, but is nonetheless one of my favorite sci-fi movies. Starship Troopers embraces its over-the-top characters and cheesy sci-fi action to make a fun movie which still presents some truly interesting ideas.This movie is a guilty pleasure, but is nonetheless one of my favorite sci-fi movies. Starship Troopers embraces its over-the-top characters and cheesy sci-fi action to make a fun movie which still presents some truly interesting ideas. Unlike the novel on which it is based, this film is all about action rather than thoughtful reflection. If you want a deep movie then look elsewhere, but if space soldiers fighting giant bugs sounds like a good time, then this will keep you entertained. Expand
McCorpseFeb 17, 2013
Awe man where to start with this one. The film is ultimate cheesy goodness. The plot, dialogue, and a few of the action scenes are goofy as hell and make it hard to take the movie seriously at times but then you get awesome alien killingAwe man where to start with this one. The film is ultimate cheesy goodness. The plot, dialogue, and a few of the action scenes are goofy as hell and make it hard to take the movie seriously at times but then you get awesome alien killing action and the overall tone of the film feeling like a parody of modern war films. All of the war propaganda and the whole reasoning for the war seemed to share a lot of similarities despite the fact that these are alien bugs we are fighting. I suppose the message would be that war is war no matter who the enemy. Back to the cheesyness tho since this seems to be where the movie really gets it personallity. Spoiler time! Dizzies character constantly made me laugh. The way shes always trying to hard to get her man and making obviously jealous faces and denise richards. This was, well, cheesey and then when she passes you feel bad for her character but cant help but laugh at her passing words. Another part that had me constantly shaking my head was how each character "coincidentaly" continue to run into each other no matter where they go, its incredibly unbelievable but its easy to get over because in a money like this, it kind of fits. One other notworthy part would be the stupid football play they do where buddy does the funny looking flip over his oponents and then they decide to use it in combat, you all know what part im talking about, its comedy. Now going hand in hand with the cheesyness is the awesomeness, and by this i mean the battle scenes against the aliens. These scenes are incredibly gory to a point that its almost suprising and unexpected. I loved every inute of it.
Starship troopers is a badass sci fi, alien war movie that has to be seen to believe. Check it out.
Rox22May 6, 2014
This movie has not aged well. Blu Ray and DVD ports look terrible. Clearly no one in production took the possibility that one day Hi-Def would become the norm. Honestly, the movie's CG effects look on par with something from the 80s.This movie has not aged well. Blu Ray and DVD ports look terrible. Clearly no one in production took the possibility that one day Hi-Def would become the norm. Honestly, the movie's CG effects look on par with something from the 80s.

Enough with my b**ching. I still love this movie. I remember watching this in the cinema on opening night. It was AWESOME! Clearly not meant to be taken seriously and felt very much like a camp version of Aliens. At the time this movie felt different and its almost goofy approach was different and made this movie stand out amongst the sea of Sci-Fi movies that saturated the late 90s.

I will grade this movie based on what I think of it now and when I first saw it. DVD/Blu Ray quality do not factor.

Overall:
Starship Troopers is a silly stupid high budget Sci-Fi movie that knows what it is and plays that angle to the extreme. While I do get why there are those who do not like it. I loved it and this movie will always hold a special place in my Sci-Fi heart.

Side Note:
Can some one PLEASE make a better Hi-def adaptation of this! The current versions are truly awful.
TrilobiteGAug 3, 2015
Whilst the dialogue isn't perfect and the love triangle is cheesy and hysterical, starship troopers is one of the most hysterical and most action packed sci fi films I've ever watched littered with impressive effects for the time and an eerieWhilst the dialogue isn't perfect and the love triangle is cheesy and hysterical, starship troopers is one of the most hysterical and most action packed sci fi films I've ever watched littered with impressive effects for the time and an eerie presence of threat that you experience along with the characters. Expand
SmoothrunnerSep 13, 2016
Heinlein's "Starship Troopers", along with his "Double Star", "Between Planets" and "Orphans of the Sky", was one of the first books that began my acquaintance with the Science fiction genre. Then, at the first reading in adolescence,Heinlein's "Starship Troopers", along with his "Double Star", "Between Planets" and "Orphans of the Sky", was one of the first books that began my acquaintance with the Science fiction genre. Then, at the first reading in adolescence, "Starship Troopers", as I now realize, had an opposite influence on me to that conceived by the author, although it caused an intense inner dialogue. Perhaps it is due to its peculiar "extremist" philosophy, conjugated with an idealized description of an army life and the nuances of the officers' service, I've remembered this book among hundreds and thousands of others which I've read at the same period. Although at the time it was seen by me more like an action adventure, and not as political manifesto of the author. Over time, of course, the book is perceived quite differently, and I fully agree with and support the decision of the publisher, who refused to publish the "Troopers" for young audience, because instead of novel of professional science fiction writer, young readers would've received novel of an unprofessional philosopher. Although, I must stress this again, at my teen age book had the opposite effect on me than what was intended by the author.

The irony is that the same story has happened with the adaptation of "Troopers" by Verhoeven - what the director intended as a vicious satire on militarism in general and in particular on Heinlein's book, which was almost forgotten, served as the book's advertising. Despite the different tones, narrative styles and incorporated ideas, in an artistic sense I would call the book and the movie to be equal. If the book is more sincere and deep, actual science fiction and social modelling, the film is more social satire, caricature and propaganda poster on the verge of trash. It is difficult to say which is better or worse, because they are completely different art expressions. And although to me either Heinlein's idealistic military meritocracy and Verhoeven's leftist pacifism are equally unsympathetic, I can not help but admit that aesthetically I like both the novel and the film - each in its own way. That, of course, does not negate the madness of the inflated to absurd ideas underlying both works. Actually, I would advise to watch a movie to those who are able to separate the ideological background from the artistic value of these works. After all, the movie has a fascinating story, there are intense action, beautiful actors, love melodrama, as well as an original, colorful cartoon aesthetic and political satire.
GrabacrJan 7, 2014
This is incredibly entertaining on multiple levels, very simply. I don't now how else to explain it. It's incredibly fun to watch, although a bit awkward at parts... *ahem* Anyways, I really do like it a lot, in an odd sort of way.
Meth-dudeNov 23, 2015
It's boring at the beginning,the acting performances are not all on point and some CGI effects are pretty horrible but overall it's a pretty good entertaining movie.Bloody,action packed and well made, Starship Troopers just wants to be a funIt's boring at the beginning,the acting performances are not all on point and some CGI effects are pretty horrible but overall it's a pretty good entertaining movie.Bloody,action packed and well made, Starship Troopers just wants to be a fun movie to watch on a friday night. Expand
gast128Jan 19, 2016
This sf movie mixes some contradictory elements: very good special effects, an ironic background message and soap opera actors. Probably that last one was deliberate as well, but somehow it interferes with the overall experience.
johnbobs1Aug 9, 2014
I absolutely loathe this film. While the visual effects may be impressive, the acting and the script is pure Hollywood hogwash. The main characters are so irritating, with their arrogant and cocky nature and hammy script that I was hopingI absolutely loathe this film. While the visual effects may be impressive, the acting and the script is pure Hollywood hogwash. The main characters are so irritating, with their arrogant and cocky nature and hammy script that I was hoping that a giant insect would appear and gobble them all up instantly.
This film has no merit in terms of imagination, acting or story telling, and so I would recommend it only to spotty 15 year old boys who have no intelligence or imagination and think that playing on Call of Duty for 23 hours a day is cool. One of the worst films I've seen.