Stephanie Daley

6.9

1. MichaelL.
    Apr 3, 2008
    I really wanted to like this film. It started out promisingly, but quickly devolved into a big bore. That said, I'm male, and will never experience pregnancy first-hand; I hate to say it, but maybe it IS a "female thing"... 2 hrs. of pregnancy angst is a bit much for this guy. Great performances, timely and important plot--but a lackluster script. Maybe less footage of Lydie peeing I really wanted to like this film. It started out promisingly, but quickly devolved into a big bore. That said, I'm male, and will never experience pregnancy first-hand; I hate to say it, but maybe it IS a "female thing"... 2 hrs. of pregnancy angst is a bit much for this guy. Great performances, timely and important plot--but a lackluster script. Maybe less footage of Lydie peeing and more principle character interaction? And God, zero development of secondary characters. I have no idea who Lydie's husband was, or who Stephanie's parents were. Sadly, "Satin", to me, was the most interesting character in the film, and who knows her story? She was tossed in, then discarded like a bay leaf in chicken soup. Expand
  2. KenG
    May 17, 2007
    Slow, flat dispassionate movie, that is relying much to much on its explosive premise to carry it. Considering that premise, there is a real lack of edge, tension, and electricity here. Plus, both actresses seem to be sleep-walking through their roles.

1. A muted psychological mystery where filmmaker Hilary Brougher's interest in "solving" a possible crime is superseded by her investigation into matters involving denial, free will and the physical and emotional burdens of pregnancy.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    A taut, provocative, sometimes overreaching but always absorbing thriller.
    Writer-director Hilary Brougher knows how to rub it in, but Tamblyn is fearless in her attempt to save the narrative from falling into clich├ęd sermonizing.