7.9

1. MarkP
    Apr 24, 2009
    A superb, engaging, cliche busting film that is about far more than baseball. Excellent performances from non-pros, marvelous cinematography. One of the best little films of the year.
  2. paigeg
    Sep 1, 2009
    Brilliant film, engaging and beautifully filmed. Also worth seeing though so the doc Road to the Big Leagues as it is the real story!
  3. RyanD
    Sep 1, 2009
    Was shocked they had this movie in my local Redbox. It did not disappoint. The acting is phenomenal, and the emotion is raw. The script had me constantly guessing what would happen next. A real, honest examination of life, its many paths, and the choices we make.
  4. PatG
    Apr 10, 2009
    I have no interest in baseball, and I thought this was an engaging movie. The human interest story is rich and thought-provoking. All of you who have no interest in baseball, fear not! This movie is well worth your time. And those who love baseball will get a double reward from the sports and the life. It does give an intriguing look at the immigrant experience, among other riches. I I have no interest in baseball, and I thought this was an engaging movie. The human interest story is rich and thought-provoking. All of you who have no interest in baseball, fear not! This movie is well worth your time. And those who love baseball will get a double reward from the sports and the life. It does give an intriguing look at the immigrant experience, among other riches. I highly recommend it. Expand
  5. judyby
    Apr 22, 2009
    I applaud the fact that this film forces us to decide what is won and what is lost in this story. The character of Sugar is rich, complex and hits just the right notes. The Christian granddaughter plot doesn't carry its own weight, I'd edit. A little backstory on what happened to Sugar's father was needed. And, my final question: Was Mrs. Higgins supposed to be Susan I applaud the fact that this film forces us to decide what is won and what is lost in this story. The character of Sugar is rich, complex and hits just the right notes. The Christian granddaughter plot doesn't carry its own weight, I'd edit. A little backstory on what happened to Sugar's father was needed. And, my final question: Was Mrs. Higgins supposed to be Susan Sarandon from Bull Durham in her later years?? Then a few scenes were DEFINITELY missing. Expand
  6. dragonpenchant
    May 29, 2009
    Utterly fantastic. breaks formula without trying too hard. transcends stereotypes and totally gets baseball right.

A moving, surprising and provocative baseball flick that rises immediately to No. 1 with a bullet on my personal list.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Sympathetic, genial and exceedingly wholesome, it's a film that, once seen, will permanently and favorably influence the way viewers regard the characters' real-life counterparts.
  3. The film's style is so ''objective'' it's a bit subdued, yet this is a sports drama of total originality, as well as the most authentic inside view of the immigrant experience the movies have given us in quite a while.