6.3

1. GeorgeS.
    Jul 14, 2006
    Not better that Superman: The Movie, but just as enjoyable!!!! Incredible movie for all Superman fans, comic book fans, and film fans in general!
  2. MICkG
    Aug 1, 2006
    Incredible!!!!
  3. MarcR.
    Aug 29, 2006
    This is best Superman movie ever made, period.
  4. SimonM.
    Apr 10, 2007
    Yes it's camp, yes it's dated, but it is F__cking awesome.
  5. CrisenM.
    May 20, 2009
    Loved it!
  6. JoeW.
    Aug 9, 2006
    This movie is great because they actually made a great superman movie without ending it with kryptonite.
  7. RyanF.
    Jul 23, 2008
    My favorite Super Hero movie still of all time. This movie contains all the vital components that makes Comic Books so appealing. Action, Drama, Searching one's intersoul, redemption, and Earth's Greatest Protector against 3 equally powerful threats in the Greatest Showdown of our time. I wish this production team would gather together and do a remake of the story with new age My favorite Super Hero movie still of all time. This movie contains all the vital components that makes Comic Books so appealing. Action, Drama, Searching one's intersoul, redemption, and Earth's Greatest Protector against 3 equally powerful threats in the Greatest Showdown of our time. I wish this production team would gather together and do a remake of the story with new age special effects, minus Brandon Routh and Kate Boswell, but find the closest equals to Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder. It would be an even bigger hit! But then again, I love the classics in their original form, so might as well leave it be. Check out the Richard Donner Cut, it is just as good! Collapse
  8. DanS
    Oct 7, 2009
    Still the greatest Superman movie ever made, and still one of the greatest super hero movies ever made.
  9. RichardO
    Mar 2, 2009
    A fun fantastic film that still stands the test of time, Christopher Reeve played the lead role(s) perfectly and will be sadly missed. The John Williams Score is probably one of the most memorable and uplifting in Cinema history and still gives me goose bumps when played, should this be No:2 in the list? Not really, but still a 10 in my eyes!!
  10. James
    Jun 21, 2006
    Better than the first.
  11. BrandonL.
    Jun 26, 2006
    "Superman II" is a great sequel to an incredible film. Sure, the love scenes are soapy and the film does drag in scenes, but the action sequences make up for it. R.I.P. Christopher Reeve 1952-2004. You'll always be Superman.
  12. MattR.
    Jul 26, 2006
    Best Superman movie ever.
  13. DeepuG.
    Dec 19, 2007
    Excellent movie. Reeve at his best. All-time classic.
  14. ZacharyM
    Jul 11, 2007
    Although Superman II had it's outlandish moments, the overall production of Lesters take on the DC comic series is phenomenal. Where this film excels is in it's direction--combining an amazing script with the momentum of the plot leave the viewer in anticipation for the climax without over analysis or explanation.
  15. JaredK
    Nov 11, 2008
    This loud goofy campy fun, see it.
  16. TedF
    Oct 28, 2008
    Superman II is bright, funny, and clever. Even with all the innovations in special effects so many super hero movies lack the chemistry that Superman I and II had. I love the brains over brawn ending.
  17. ChrisC
    Jul 22, 2008
    Arguably the greatest comic book movie of all time. that includes the dark knight.
  18. FrankS.
    Aug 23, 2008
    Great movie. One of the best of the "modern" superhero movies. Released in 1980 you can see the effect of this movie on newer releases such as Spiderman II and even The Dark Knight. I enjoyed Superman Returns, but not nearly as good as Superman II or even the original.
  19. SeanB.
    Dec 26, 2006
    It's unlikely you haven't seen this movie yet, but if you have, don't trust the naysayers who have previously posted reviews. Sure, the Donner version may be the more interesting, but "Superman 2" as it was originally release is terrific entertainment, among the most memorable of all the action pictures I saw as a kid, and fully deserving of its high Metacritic score.
  20. Apr 14, 2012
    Superman II is every bit as good as the first, and even possibly better. When it comes to stories in superhero movies, this is about as good as it gets.
  21. Mar 1, 2014
    The best out of the QUADRILOGY LOVED IT SOO MUCH!!! Great Cast, Great Bad guy, Great Lines, Great super AND A GREAT DIRECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RICHARD DONNER DID IT AGAIN!!!
  22. Oct 18, 2014
    A trio of Krypton villains threaten havoc on Earth, while Superman and Lois Lane are just becoming involved in a long awaited love affair -- an affair which may cost Superman his super powers.
  23. Oct 27, 2014
    Just like the first film, Superman II is one of the greatest movie ever! The best fight scene between the Man of Steel and the three Kryptonian criminals including General Zod is quite a tremendous battle and he is one bad-ass villain for this movie.Same script made by Mario Puzo(who previously worked on the Godfather trilogy) and as for Lex Luthor now a supporting role he is even moreJust like the first film, Superman II is one of the greatest movie ever! The best fight scene between the Man of Steel and the three Kryptonian criminals including General Zod is quite a tremendous battle and he is one bad-ass villain for this movie.Same script made by Mario Puzo(who previously worked on the Godfather trilogy) and as for Lex Luthor now a supporting role he is even more comical than the first film. Expand
  24. JoelW.
    Sep 10, 2009
    This film is fantastic. And even more so because it's a sequel. I think it's terrific. And I dont understand how anyone can say this is "Unwatchable" - have those users never seen "Grandma's Boy", "Club Dread" or "Going Overboard"? THEY'RE unwatchable!
  25. DemetriS.
    Jan 5, 2007
    Excellent movie. We all have likes and dislikes, but don't give this movie a 0-5 score because your'e mad it has such a avg. high score from the critics! Rate it what you truely think it deserves. I thought it was excellent in 1981 and still do.
  26. MichaelM.
    Jul 25, 2007
    You have to look at this movie's rating subjectively. Objectively, it's not the 2nd best movie ever made, but in the subgenre of "superhero movies," it's among the 3 best I've ever seen. Movie reviewers have to take all of this context into account. That's why it's here.
  27. May 22, 2013
    No, I do not think that this movie is the best Superhero movie of all time. However, I do think that this is a very good movie. This movie was made back in a time when people thought superheroes were more romantic and silly than anything else (if you want another movie like that, all three of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies). This movie is a perfect movie that shows what superheroes wereNo, I do not think that this movie is the best Superhero movie of all time. However, I do think that this is a very good movie. This movie was made back in a time when people thought superheroes were more romantic and silly than anything else (if you want another movie like that, all three of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies). This movie is a perfect movie that shows what superheroes were like during that era. I believe that the main reason a lot of people do not like this film as much as they used too is merely because this is the era of more grown up superhero movies (Christopher Nolan's Batman movies) which are much darker. Superman II is definitely the perfect movie for romantic superhero fans. It is very charismatic and heroic at the same time. It has a simple plot with villains threatening to take over the world, but the hero always triumphs in the end, and also gets the girl. While this plot is simple, so were the original Spider-Man movies which came out much later. Probably my only real complaint about this movie is that even though the romantic hero plot was good for the time, it is a little outdated now, as more grown up superhero movies have been released. I still think that this a great movie nonetheless. Expand
  28. Jul 12, 2012
    My favorite of the Superman movies. I don't know how on Earth this film got a 5.8 User Score. This was also the most interesting, as Superman finally had someone who could really challenge him and he doesn't always emerge victorious. This film also explores Clark's and Lois' relationship much more than in the first film, which proves to me that its an improvement.
  29. Nov 29, 2013
    Although this was even more cheesy than the first Superman, it still has a great amount of cool that made this movie a decent sequel. This will always be my favorite Superman sequel, ever.
  30. Sep 3, 2014
    Much better than the pointless, dim-witted named as "Man of Steel". Just when you thought the classic was already enough, studio Warner Bros. brings another well-paced, stylish and nicely acted flick.
  31. Sep 30, 2014
    More villains and more action than before create a better and more exciting film, though at times like its predecessor, Reeves performance as the Man of Steel as well as Terrance Stamp's Zod cause Superman II to nearly top the original.
  32. PaulA
    Sep 9, 2009
    OK, keep in mind that the reviews used to calculte the 99 score are most likely from when the movie came out and not current reviews! when Superman 2 came out it deserved this score! Has it aged well? maybe not, but it's still a damn good movie, and for it's time it very much deserved it's universal acclaim, now can we please move on.
  33. BryanH.
    Feb 4, 2007
    Good but not great. Soundtrack, action and romance certainly don't stack this film against the classics. Even for Sci-Fi, it's no "Bladerunner".
  34. JohnM
    Feb 12, 2008
    This film is one of the best superhero films of all time. I have one movie poster left on my wall and its this film, the poster has the villains flying up towards superman, with a burning metropolis underneath, an awesome image. But second on this list seems kind of odd, in the top 50 yeah. Overall its a bit corny, makes up stupid super powers, but is fun romp for all ages.
  35. GoxP
    Sep 26, 2009
    This is not the score on the original Superman 2 from 1981 (which I would score 4, even as a kid back then). No, this is for 2006, Superman 2 - The Richard Donner Cut, which is not complete, but "must see" for all you Superman lovers out there. This version feels like completely different film.
  36. Sep 12, 2012
    It can be campy but it's fun and original, exploring a fallible side of Superman through his decision to rid himself of his powers for Lois Lane. Zod, of course, is classic. It's a shame Donner couldn't finish his version, but I feel Lester did a fine job finishing the project.
  37. Mar 2, 2013
    liked this one a lot, in my opinion it was probably even better than the first one. One of the biggest reasons would probably be the villains. They are a physical match for superman so they pose more of a threat than lex luthers so called intelligence. Since supermans new villains can fly there is one really good scene of them battling it out and throwing large objects at each other andliked this one a lot, in my opinion it was probably even better than the first one. One of the biggest reasons would probably be the villains. They are a physical match for superman so they pose more of a threat than lex luthers so called intelligence. Since supermans new villains can fly there is one really good scene of them battling it out and throwing large objects at each other and fighting while flying. The dated special effects add a cheese factor but its really fun to watch. There is also a very cool scene on the moon that felt very sci-fi like, this was a great scene i thought looked very cool. These two things were in my opinion better than anything that happened in the origonal. On the negative side though there was some pretty stupid plot elements that might be hard for some people to look passed, i personally just laughed and shrugged it off. One thing i found funny was how supermans mom tells him he can turn into a human but will never be able to regain his old powers and then he easilly gets his powers back using the green crystal, that was ridiculous, also lex luthers escape from jail in a hot air balloon was silly. Overall superman 2 is a cheesy good time i found more entertaining than the first Expand
  38. Jun 14, 2013
    I seen the movie man of steel and i give 3 and a half star's that doesn't mean it is a bad movie., i like more Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980) and the soundtrack of Superman (1978) is better.
  39. Aug 19, 2013
    Featuring still decent effects for its time, soul-filled humor, and a story that shows tremendous heart, this sequel is an exciting and faithful follow-up to the phenomenal original.
  40. Jan 22, 2014
    Superman's back and this time he's had it. Actually in all seriousness this is the best of the Reeve Superman films as he battles his own kind and has to defend the planet he calls home.
  41. Nov 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this movie first and I like to give it a 9.3 and the first a 9.7 but I can't do that but sometimes it better sometimes the first is better and sometimes there equal great. The story had improve but I didn't like we superman loses his power and just gets it back again, I wish that didn't happen to get a 1 min revenge of that trucker. But that movie is great like the first, but maybe not like the first. Expand
  42. SeanD
    Oct 28, 2006
    Well, to (hopefully) clear a few things up a) Metacritic "weighs" some reviews to count for more than others. I don't necessarily agree with it but it's the fact of things. b) There are a lot of movies that exist here that didn't make the all time highest scores despite their 99's or similar scores (The Seven Samurai, Fanny And Alexander, Modern Times) For a long time Well, to (hopefully) clear a few things up a) Metacritic "weighs" some reviews to count for more than others. I don't necessarily agree with it but it's the fact of things. b) There are a lot of movies that exist here that didn't make the all time highest scores despite their 99's or similar scores (The Seven Samurai, Fanny And Alexander, Modern Times) For a long time Superman II was one of them, I'm not sure what happened. But to the movie itself, it's not bad. Easily inferior to the first IMO, but I guess I could see why other people would think it's better. Expand
  43. ErikH
    Dec 6, 2007
    While it's not a bad movie, it's rating is far too high. I don't think it should be included on this list because its Metascore is based on only four credited reviews, not the minimum of seven. It's a movie overrated by a loop-hole. Superman: The Movie was better.
  44. DanH.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Statistics is why this movie rates inordinately highly. Only seven reviews listed here while most movies are subjected to as many as twenty on this site. And no low-scoring reviews are even listed... Could be a 99, but there's not sufficient data on this site to tell.
  45. MikeQ
    Jan 10, 2008
    The 99 score is ridiculous. If you call a 5 average, this film is a little above, so I think a 7 is fair. So, this ranks higher than LOTR, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc etc......ridiculous.
  46. SydBarrett'ssanity
    Dec 27, 2006
    Amen to that, Sean B. If Superman could see those who contravene the film so adamantly, he'd tell them what color panties they were wearing AND how pathetically and unfoundedly bunched they were. Is it worthy of a 99? No. But good Lord, people. Take a deep breath and relax. One would be inclined to think some of you had just woken from a drugged state to learn General Zod himself had Amen to that, Sean B. If Superman could see those who contravene the film so adamantly, he'd tell them what color panties they were wearing AND how pathetically and unfoundedly bunched they were. Is it worthy of a 99? No. But good Lord, people. Take a deep breath and relax. One would be inclined to think some of you had just woken from a drugged state to learn General Zod himself had you gagged and bent over with your wrists bound to your ankles, readily standing by with a handful of recycled lubricant and a huskily whispered promise that "you'll learn the hard way to kneel before Zod, young man." It's the evolving story of Superman. A tale that will forever summon forth innocent childhood dreams to become greater than the ordinary, and be a part of something much larger than ourselves. And it's on that level, the essence of Superman, where I'd like to think the film succeeds best. It's a fun flick... try to enjoy it. Expand
  47. JamesH
    Nov 24, 2009
    Very entertaining, it has a lightness about it and plenty of action. Winning performances, excellent score and in 1980 the special effects were great.
  48. Sep 22, 2011
    "Superman 2" is definitely overrated by critics. However, it still stands out as a comic ovation and appeals heartfully to the audience.
  49. Jun 26, 2013
    Although the original Superman will always be the strongest in my eyes, I still really quite enjoyed this film. With a montage to start the film off, just in case you have forgotten anything from the previous film, but this film is simply just fun, and the most entertaining thing for me was watch Lois lane and Superman play off each other and see how their relationship developed.

That

That and General Zod of course, who is a truly great villain played by the one and only Terence Stamp. I will be interested to see Michael Shannon's take of the character in Man of steel... Had to mention it at some point. It's a Superman review.

And it is Superman week. Lets face it.

The main problem I had with the film is that I felt that there were some bits that felt too placed, and could have been cut out completely. The film does seem to drag in the middle a little bit which could arguably be down to the troubled production, with a switch of director in the middle of production from Richard Donner to Richard Lester. This resulted in a problem with the tone of the film, as Donner wanted a dark film while Lester tried to add in a lot of slapstick- which to be honest were the bits that dragged the film down- what I would call the silly parts, when the film suddenly becomes a cartoon for a few minutes.

I will be interested to see Richard Donner's cut.

I enjoyed Superman 2, although it doesn't have the same magic of the first one it is still a great superhero film.
  50. KP
    Feb 27, 2009
    Although I don't have any problem with this film, it's 99 rating makes me question the entire metacritic system, more specifically the critic realm. This film is simply is no where near a 99.
  51. JohnF
    Aug 7, 2008
    Overrated, the only reason metacritic gave it a swell review was because there were only 7 critics to average from.
  52. ByronLJ.
    Jul 7, 2009
    Sure it's enjoyable in its own way, much like you wish you had a proton pack watching Ghostbusters, you wish you had those SuperPowers like Superman. I don't remember this film being even half as good as the Meta Critic Score leads one to believe.
  53. ShaunC
    Jun 30, 2008
    I don't really see how this achieved a 99....and I understand what others have said about viewing the rating with respect to the 'Superhero Genre" but I still don't buy how that should give it the 2nd highest score of all time....It is a decent movie at best...
  54. JonathanK
    Dec 7, 2009
    Is there some sort of Metacritic loophole here? I agree with the bulk of these reviews: This was a fun popcorn-chewer in its day, but it was never *that* good. I don't know if Reeves' tragic later life (and early death) may have influenced these ratings, but it certainly seems that way. A year or two ago I decided to rent the first one to show my kids, owing to the (then) Is there some sort of Metacritic loophole here? I agree with the bulk of these reviews: This was a fun popcorn-chewer in its day, but it was never *that* good. I don't know if Reeves' tragic later life (and early death) may have influenced these ratings, but it certainly seems that way. A year or two ago I decided to rent the first one to show my kids, owing to the (then) stellar MetaCritic rating. I remember enjoying the film when I saw it decades ago, and thought perhaps there was more to the movie than I was able to glean at the time. Not only did my kids think it was "nothing special", but it left me disappointed too. Perhaps the inflated score is an artifact of a valiant attempt by Metacritic to review older movies? If so, I hope it's temporary. Rotten Tomatoes' reviews of older movies are hopelessly skewed to the positive and thus completely unreliable. I would love to have a reliable alternative that's not hopelessly romanticized. Expand
  55. MikeK.
    Jun 27, 2006
    Not as good as everyone wants to think it is. The special effects got worse, the story is cheesy, the costumes ridiculous and the acting is terrible.
  56. LanceE.
    Mar 12, 2007
    I have to agree with reviewer John B's comment "How could any reasonable mathmatical formula make this the second best movie of all time?" This is a mild escape movie. Several of Zod's lines are classics & the rampant product placement is fun to joke about, but I can think of a LOT-- a LOT!-- of films more deserving of the second place slot.
  57. EusebioP
    Sep 7, 2009
    Don't take me wrong, the movie is ok for a Saturday afternoon with nothing else to do... But the second place of the list!! This is madness!!
  58. MarkT.
    Jun 14, 2007
    Definitely a flaw in the polling. There should be a rule that movies with less than 10 reviews do not get to be included in the ratings list of "best" and "worst" of all time. This is just kinda silly. Look at all of the others it has jumped over. A real head-shaker.
  59. Dec 10, 2012
    "Superman II" has none of the charm of its predecessor, and it is plagued by particularly bad special effects. The character of Superman is more deeply developed and the narrative is artfully paced.
  60. JohnDoe
    Jul 8, 2008
    Come on! this movie not that good. I feel a sleep during it. Its got "Ok" moments but thats all.
  61. JustinL
    Sep 8, 2008
    Overated, only top 100 because there's only 6 positive reviews. If there were at least 20, then it would even things out a bit.
  62. DerekK.
    Aug 16, 2009
    Ok for its time but doesn't age well. a bit soppy.
  63. ThomasW
    Sep 4, 2009
    Look, people: if you know anything about statistics, most movies should not get more then about a 7 or less than about a 3. This is NOT a great movie, and I agree that the score it receives from metacritic is skewed by too few reviews, and it also seems to be the case that some viewers here are responding with fake responses to inflate the numbers... one word responses like Look, people: if you know anything about statistics, most movies should not get more then about a 7 or less than about a 3. This is NOT a great movie, and I agree that the score it receives from metacritic is skewed by too few reviews, and it also seems to be the case that some viewers here are responding with fake responses to inflate the numbers... one word responses like "Incredible!!!!" are useless. Expand
  64. JoshB.
    Sep 5, 2006
    This is my people dont like critics, this is a terrible movie it. it makes no logical sense, the plot is terrible and the acting is terrible. wow, there must have been a lot of blow on the table when this thing was written and twice as much when it was reviewed.
  65. LaurenceC.
    Jan 18, 2008
    Ok, I don't get it. I came to Metacritic to get good subjective reviews on films I may wish to see. Major flaw here, either with reviews, American critics, or general scoring method. Someone going to fix it? Or do I have to go search specific critics who are intelligent?
  66. BrendenS.
    Jul 24, 2008
    Can someone tell me why the critics love this movie, and the average viewer watches it merely to mock it. Even for its time this movie was a joke. Sure it may have serious character involvement and a DECENT plot line, but in the end it looks cheap, feels cheap, and makes you feel like you just got cheated after you watch it.
  67. ChristianW.
    Jan 3, 2007
    Back in 1981 this seemed like a good film. Boy has it aged. The last five minutes are particularly lame. The script is incredibly dumb. Metacritics credibility has been tarnished here.. or is it the credibility of reviewers? Rose-tinted nostalgia has no place in film reviews if you ask me.
  68. DevinB
    Dec 3, 2006
    Okay... this is not the second best movie ever. I'd seriously doubt if this movie would make the list of the top 1000 films of all time. This is mediocre, dumbly campy hogwash. Even the first Superman movie wasn't THAT good.
  69. May 8, 2014
    Worse than the first and since the first is out of time now... yeah... It couldn't have the great action of course so it focused again on the humor part. Even more this time. It almost became a kids cartoon.
  70. AB
    Oct 4, 2006
    I am in utter shock and disbelief at the idea that "Superman II" has a rating as high as it does. There is no possibility that this movie is better than "E.T.," Schindler's List," "Star Wars," and the "Lord of the Rings" series. These reviews perfectly explain that critics are *not* always right. I have seen "Superman: The Movie" and I love it, but "Superman II" is nowhere near the I am in utter shock and disbelief at the idea that "Superman II" has a rating as high as it does. There is no possibility that this movie is better than "E.T.," Schindler's List," "Star Wars," and the "Lord of the Rings" series. These reviews perfectly explain that critics are *not* always right. I have seen "Superman: The Movie" and I love it, but "Superman II" is nowhere near the classic status of the first, and it deserves nowhere near a score of 99. Expand
  71. MikeC.
    Jul 18, 2006
    The only thing to say here is this IS NOT the 2nd best film of all time.
  72. ChrisL.
    Jun 28, 2006
    I can't believe what a high rating this movie has. It's enjoyable, nostalgic cheese, but it's still cheese. The script is ham-handed, and the actors uniformly bludgeon them to death with overacting. Many sets appear to have been made with leftover props from high school dances. Folks, this is the sort of pompously inept movie that Mystery Science Theater thrived on.
  73. Oct 7, 2010
    Just the thought of this film being above the Godfather part1 and 2 is unbelievably angers me.We have two masterpieces and many more(like LOTR and Patton) being rated lower than this cheesy action flick.I don't think it should even be included in the High Scores list because there are just 7 reviews.
  74. StoneP.
    Aug 4, 2006
    Christopher Reeve died and that's sad, but let's not pretend for a moment that he was anything more than a soap-opera calibre actor. The most important thing he ever did in his life was fall off a horse. I lined up around the block for hours to see this movie when I was a kid. It hasn't withstood the test of time and I'm not sure that it was even good when it was made.
  75. SteveW
    Sep 12, 2009
    You have got to be kidding me. The number #2 rated movie of all time?? It was OK for 1981, but just OK. By today's standard, the story is way too slow, and the characters too cheesy and simple. Unlike the other "greats," it hasn't stood the test of time. In my view, the 99 score shows a serious flaw with this system.
  76. ZakS
    Sep 16, 2006
    Wait. This is the second highest reviewed film of all time? You're kidding me, right? Seriously. Is this a joke? Did this site get hacked?
  77. RobertB.
    Jul 31, 2006
    Who the heck could ever vote this better than the first Superman? And if you like this as the 2nd best ever, where do you rate Superman 3....
  78. brianw.
    Apr 14, 2009
    I agree with the other posters: this film is highly, highly overrated. Cheesy, poorly acted, overwrought and just plain stupid.
  79. Nov 16, 2011
    I'm giving this movie a 2 because I like the idea of it. The actual implementation has much to be desired. The special effects are awful in context with the times. The fight scenes are laughable. Watching equally strong (invincible) superbeings fight is much more boring than watching a regular street fight. It always amazes me that Hollywood could never put together a great SupermanI'm giving this movie a 2 because I like the idea of it. The actual implementation has much to be desired. The special effects are awful in context with the times. The fight scenes are laughable. Watching equally strong (invincible) superbeings fight is much more boring than watching a regular street fight. It always amazes me that Hollywood could never put together a great Superman movie. The original Superman movie was decent but fell apart in the second half. This movie is dumb from start to finish. Expand
  80. May 10, 2013
    Caught this on T.V. with my friend one night. Hadn't seen it since I was about 6 and it was cringe worthy to the point of not being able to look away. I wasn't expecting a timeless classic, you have to lower your standards this being a super hero movie and being a product of the 80's. But my god, I was not expecting such a hilariously unwatchable disaster. It's not the bad special fx,Caught this on T.V. with my friend one night. Hadn't seen it since I was about 6 and it was cringe worthy to the point of not being able to look away. I wasn't expecting a timeless classic, you have to lower your standards this being a super hero movie and being a product of the 80's. But my god, I was not expecting such a hilariously unwatchable disaster. It's not the bad special fx, or even the somewhat dated feel of the movie... Superman II's biggest problem is it's actors delivery and total lack of subtlety in their performance. Some of it can surely be blamed on the director for accepting the takes, but a lot of the lines are delivered so unbelievably bad you wonder how they made it past the cutting room floor. The story isn't much better, just an excuse to have an all out brawl in the middle of the city... you can see where directors like Michael Bay major influences are. Grab some popcorn and spend hour and a half re-familiarizing yourself with this movie. Even my friend who's fairly open to watching almost any mindless action flick couldn't contain his laughter re-watching this. Expand
  81. EvanS
    Jul 20, 2007
    Having just watched the Richard Donner cut, I don't get it. 99? The narrative is discombobulated, the acting is pure cheese, the bad guys are drab, the effects, script and character development were not as good as the first Superman movie. This movie's a mess and it's listed on this list of "best ever." How did this mistake happen?
  82. BobStoddard
    Jul 22, 2007
    This movie is horribly overrated. Terrible.
  83. NicholasD.
    Jul 13, 2008
    I have to agree with previous comments of how horribly overrated this movie is. I remember loving it as a kid, so hired it along with the supergirl movie. I was as disappointed with how bad the storyline, script, editing and general vision and morals were in this movie as much as I was pleasantly surprised with how good (most of) supergirl was. I am therefore surprised that most critics - I have to agree with previous comments of how horribly overrated this movie is. I remember loving it as a kid, so hired it along with the supergirl movie. I was as disappointed with how bad the storyline, script, editing and general vision and morals were in this movie as much as I was pleasantly surprised with how good (most of) supergirl was. I am therefore surprised that most critics - including those whose opinions i generally hold in high regard, give this movie such a highscore and supergirl such a low score. Expand
  84. MichaelB
    Sep 9, 2008
    I re-watched this a few months ago, and it is just as awful as I remember it being. I cringe every time I see this movie in the #2 spot. Please, Metacritic, retire this movie.
  85. BrianP-C
    Nov 1, 2006
    Two words: Richard Donner. I used to think this was the best Superman movie ever and one of the best movies period.....that is until I learned of the entire back story to Richard Donner's 'dismissal' from the project. I can't wait to se 'The Richard Donner Cut' of Superman II and say that his version should be held as the official version.
  86. AnonymousMC
    Oct 21, 2006
    If there could be one reason why Metacritic is so unpopular than it is this- they lie. This movie, when you average the mere 7 reviews receives only a 91. And, in addition to that, it is not ever a great movie. It cannot be placed so high by such a biased website. What a terrible thing!
  87. TomC.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Saw this in the summer, and whats the hype anyway? Super-man 2 and Superman the movie are both cheesy and corny shows. Christopher Reeve is terrible at acting, the script has a complex function. And it just sucks. Crappy movie.
  88. DamonA.
    Jan 27, 2008
    This just blows. A huge letdown. And 99/100!!! You have to be kidding me. The affects are cheesy, and tries to be a classic, but totally is not.
  89. EvanC.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Terrible, just terrible. My whole family hated it. It wasted my beautiful summer night. This could have been amazing, but is impossible to be.
  90. LeonardoP.
    Apr 11, 2008
    Its an horrible movie, a completely waste of time. I don't now why it was so loved by the critics. Its is terrible, like the others super heroes movies. I completely don't recommend it.
  91. EdwardC.
    Aug 11, 2008
    It's a horrible and dull movie.
  92. ChristopherE.
    May 7, 2009
    This movie is practically unwatchable. The fact that it has earned "universal acclaim" and a score of 99 based on critics reviews throws the whole notion of the movie critic into doubt. Who are these people?
  93. JohnB
    Dec 26, 2006
    Bad. Bad. Bad. Is there no common sense at Metacritic? How could any reasonable mathmatical formula make this the second best movie of all time?
  94. Jun 23, 2013
    I was so impressionable as a kid that I had no idea how to criticize a movie or compare it to others on special effects. To me it was one of the greatest movies from a child's perspective. I grew up and now realize it was a B movie and I'm not comparing it to today's special effects films because that's unfair, instead I'm comparing it to Star Wars which is the movie which was trulyI was so impressionable as a kid that I had no idea how to criticize a movie or compare it to others on special effects. To me it was one of the greatest movies from a child's perspective. I grew up and now realize it was a B movie and I'm not comparing it to today's special effects films because that's unfair, instead I'm comparing it to Star Wars which is the movie which was truly ahead of its time in production, acting, storyline and special effects. Star Wars has truly stood the test of time. Sorry, but Superman II is a joke and people seem endeared to Christopher Reeves out of nostalgia and patriotism but he was a terrible actor. The only actor in that film worth anything was Gene Hackman Expand

1. Reviewed by: Gary Arnold
    Jun 4, 2013
    Superman II" gets off to a fast start (in part by recapitulating the plot of the original film in the credit sequence), only to evolve into a curiously absent-minded follow-up...What seems to have been lost is the straightforward heroic exuberance of the original film, despite Reeve's gallant and endearing efforts. [19 June 1981, p.C1]
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Jun 4, 2013
    Superman II is a success, a stirring sequel to the smash of '79. Whether you will prefer it to the original is like choosing between root beer and Fresca. They're both bubbly, but the flavor is different. What the follow-up doesn't have is the epic lyricism of Richard Donner's version; it's harder edged, fleeter on its feet, less reverential. [22 June 1981, p.87]
  3. Reviewed by: Chris Hewitt (1)
    Jun 4, 2013
    Manages to gain classic comic book feature status through a combination of great stunts and a great human angle.