5.7

1. Oct 5, 2011
    "Surrogates" is a disjointed SF movie that doesn't quite grasp the idea of what its talking about. However, it still provides you elegant cinematography as well as decent entertainment thanks to the "old" Bruce Willis.
  2. Mar 4, 2012
    Not all of the elements work, but Bruce Willis does a really good job, the setting and "what if" examination of a society in which robot avatars take over human interaction is reminiscent of blade runner and other pulp sci-fi movies, and the special effects are good enough to not get in the way. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than most critics say it is? Yeah. I say check it out
  3. Nov 22, 2010
    Surrogates has to be one of the most worst produced sci-fi films ever, with an interesting story. But not even action star Bruce Willis can save this movie from disaster.
  4. May 25, 2012
    A terrible movie that displays an incomplete thought, weird plot, weird acting and a lot futuristic robot disaster..............
  5. Apr 5, 2013
    I quite liked Surrogates and I think Bruce Willis did an excellent job. He's a natural born actor and just fills every scene with a sort of charm only he can. However, I can't help but be confused about the message the movie sends off and I also wonder why the director overlooked so many obvious plotholes and inconsistencies, the biggest of them all being the fact that even though thatI quite liked Surrogates and I think Bruce Willis did an excellent job. He's a natural born actor and just fills every scene with a sort of charm only he can. However, I can't help but be confused about the message the movie sends off and I also wonder why the director overlooked so many obvious plotholes and inconsistencies, the biggest of them all being the fact that even though that human interaction has clearly evolved into a technolatrous extreme yet nothing else in society has. They didn't even get around to driving electric cars yet. I think he did so in order to not alienate a large part of his audience. After all, now it's an action thriller with science-fiction elements rather than an all-out science-fiction movie with social criticism. Unfortunately, because of this "ceteris paribus" situation, several large plotholes occur. It'd be best to look beyond these and just enjoy the movie for what it is: A good thriller with an excellent lead-role and some justified criticism on modern society to boot. All hail Ned Ludd. Expand
  6. Jan 6, 2012
    I didn't understand who the **** were we supposed to root for? The religious zealots, unwilling to accept change? Or the "hero" who destroys surrogates that, let's face it, will be rebuilt in a few weeks?
    Honestly, they even tried to lampshade the ending with the whole **** "and the surrogate services will be shut down for who knows how long" line. Come on, give me a break. Most people will just treat it like another "oops I seem to have crashed my surrogate in a ditch, better get a new one!" incident.
    Nothing changes, movie POINTLESS.
  7. Dec 13, 2010
    "Surrogates?" A movie about mothers having babies for other people staring Bruce Willis as the doctor? Nope. I know right, the title had me fooled too. "Surrogates" is director Jonathan Mostow's interpretation of Robert Venditt's popular graphic novel also named "Surrogates" (and no, a graphic novel is not the same thing as a comic book). The live action adaptation of "Surrogates" is a"Surrogates?" A movie about mothers having babies for other people staring Bruce Willis as the doctor? Nope. I know right, the title had me fooled too. "Surrogates" is director Jonathan Mostow's interpretation of Robert Venditt's popular graphic novel also named "Surrogates" (and no, a graphic novel is not the same thing as a comic book). The live action adaptation of "Surrogates" is a visually stunning movie that appears to have gotten butchered along the way to be forced to fit into a 90 minute feature.

Read full review at FlicksWorthWatching.com
  8. Oct 23, 2013
    One of the main flaws of this film is that a film based on androids that create an idealistic version of themselves revolves around the inventor, who becomes disillusioned at how they've changed from aiding less able people such as himself to somewhat empty and materialistic concerns. The college student was a fair target, considering who they were aiming for. However, this becomes a sideOne of the main flaws of this film is that a film based on androids that create an idealistic version of themselves revolves around the inventor, who becomes disillusioned at how they've changed from aiding less able people such as himself to somewhat empty and materialistic concerns. The college student was a fair target, considering who they were aiming for. However, this becomes a side issue among the division between the predictability and the actual exploration of humanity's frightening procrastination at becoming old and unable to go through life. This was in contrast with turning it into some kind of fashion statement, as if artificiality and beauty can prolong meaning of life itself. Bruce Willis is ultimately superb in this role, considerably cynical and not sarcastic, distinctive in a world of people who are plugged into androids. In turn, there are obvious cliches that you would find in an action sci-fi, albeit having action that was just as necessary as the dialogue. Expand
  9. Nov 18, 2011
    SURROGATES is a visually impressive and a decent film, but in some scenes, the acting wasn't good and the film seemed a bit cheep.
  10. Feb 20, 2012
    Surrogates (2009): Potentially good movie with a great premise ruined by a cheesy, shallow and awkward script. If the script was fleshed out better, and the director wasn't verging on stylish action-movie mode it could have been substantial. I can't help but feel Mostow was trying to channel Spielberg here, but couldn't quite cope. Mostow is no JJ Abrams.
  11. Apr 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, as usual, interesting visuals combine with a weak story to create a passable film not entirely devoid of entertainment value as long as you have nothing better to do.

Perhaps the worst aspect of this film is that it argues against its very existence, as the conclusion declares that "surrogates" are bad, and therefore the only really interesting part of the film should not exist.

I'm troubled by the fact that two of the main villains in this film are black and that one of them is quite literally the robotic puppet of a Caucasian and both of them betray the people around them.

Also, I'm wondering if the people who wrote the end of the film are familiar with the beginning of the film. In the beginning, the ultimate bad guy is described as having been booted out of the corporation he himself founded. You know, the corporation where they build all the surrogates. So you could understand the guy being vengeful. But by the end of the film the dialog is trying to convince us that this same guy is a psycho. Never mind that he's got motive. He just CRAZZEEEE!!! And when the guy himself spends an inevitable moment explaining himself, he doesn't even mention getting booted out of his own corporation, where they make all the surrogates. Suddenly, it's like he's got some weirdo religion. Instead of wanting vengeance against the people who booted him out, he thinks surrogates are evil and should be destroyed.

Wow. That's pretty weak.

1. A mechanical sci-fi'er absent of logic or emotions. It functions as an expensive place-filler on the Disney release schedule and, as such, will be welcomed by only the least discriminating thriller fans.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Mostow's smart speculative suspenser imagines a time when people can live through ideal versions of themselves while they sit wired up at home.
  3. The filmmakers were too busy throwing together potential blockbuster material to notice all the loose ends and gaping holes in logic. Which may, ultimately, explain why Willis looks so confused throughout. Maybe he, too, is straining to locate some intelligence amid all the machinery.