Columbia TriStar Domestic Television | Release Date: December 3, 1999
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 27 Ratings
Watch Now
AlexM.Jan 2, 2006
Ms Morton's performance, ranks up there with B. Keaton. I loved it. Way to go Sam. You too Sean.
steves.Jan 9, 2006
I loved the acting. I loved the music. I loved the aesthetic. I loved the feel. Simply sweet. This is one of my favorite movies ever.
PatC.Sep 26, 2006
Once again we see that, when there is a role for a character in an intolerably obnoxious phase of life, Sean Penn is the one to play him. Not a pleasant or particularly riveting show, but again we see how Woody Allen can bring a photoplay Once again we see that, when there is a role for a character in an intolerably obnoxious phase of life, Sean Penn is the one to play him. Not a pleasant or particularly riveting show, but again we see how Woody Allen can bring a photoplay into a sharply focused and breathtakingly concise conclusion - in this case explaining how Penn's character was finally able to become one with his art. So inevitably the movie gets better upon later reflection. Expand
J-ShapSep 1, 2011
A rewarding and satisfying drama, that satirizes biopics while embodying Allen's love for jazz into a great character, brought to life with a terrific performance by Sean Penn. Sweet and Lowdown is Allen's finest dramatic work.
AliceofXFeb 14, 2016
The Sweet and Lowdown will make you believe it is a story about actual people. The narrators and the stranger than fiction portraits of life give a realistic feel to it. It's a typical Woody Allen flick in its combination of humour andThe Sweet and Lowdown will make you believe it is a story about actual people. The narrators and the stranger than fiction portraits of life give a realistic feel to it. It's a typical Woody Allen flick in its combination of humour and interesting story.

The movie follows a dislikeable character, played by Sean Penn, who you love to see through out his many failures in life. The film has vibrant characters and that is arguably the best part of it.

The only really bad thing I could say against this film is that it doesn't really have an ending. It just goes on until it ends at an arbitrary point. If this were an actual biopic you could understand it as just following history, but as it is it just seems odd. Though it could be said that it just sticks to style.

Overall the Sweet and Lowdown is like a familiar meal that is filling while not exactly novel. It's a movie that will be more enjoyed by Woody Allen's fans because while it is funny the plot leaves one feeling empty and longing for more.