5.1

1. MatsL.
    Apr 1, 2003
    Madonna...please stop acting.
  2. Jan 8, 2011
    When one thought Madonna finally got critical acclaim with 'Evita' she does this. Gosh. It is one of the worst films I have ever had the displeasure to watch. Madonna's acting was just unbelievably bad, as well as Giannini's was (if not worse, even). The predictable storyline is not just predictable, but it is almost insulting to one's intelligence. Horrible story, horrible acting,When one thought Madonna finally got critical acclaim with 'Evita' she does this. Gosh. It is one of the worst films I have ever had the displeasure to watch. Madonna's acting was just unbelievably bad, as well as Giannini's was (if not worse, even). The predictable storyline is not just predictable, but it is almost insulting to one's intelligence. Horrible story, horrible acting, dialogue that could be better used on a piece of toilet paper: that is what Swept Away is. Definitely deserved all 5 Razzie Awards it won... as well as the two it failed winning. Expand
  3. May 23, 2011
    Everyone involved in this could've done right. But sadly, almost everything's wrong. It's a total misstep from Madonna, Guy Ritchie and even the butchered fishes.
  4. Aug 27, 2011
    As much as you have to love Madonna as a singer, she cannot act. She just cannot. Because of that, the movie is already ruined. You have to admire her for trying, but you can't admire the movie.
  5. Mar 5, 2012
    This film actually was surprisingly good. I rented the video before I read the reviews, and after I read the recviews I was a little nervous to watch it. When I did watch it, I was delighted to see that it was an actual good story line. Despite what other critic and viewers have said, I thought Madonna's performance was pretty good! I would recommend seeing it! Although the ending wasThis film actually was surprisingly good. I rented the video before I read the reviews, and after I read the recviews I was a little nervous to watch it. When I did watch it, I was delighted to see that it was an actual good story line. Despite what other critic and viewers have said, I thought Madonna's performance was pretty good! I would recommend seeing it! Although the ending was most disappointing and sad, I realized that every story can't end like a fairy tale. Expand
  6. Oct 28, 2011
    Verdaderamente me entretuve viendo la película, me parece que ninguno de los actores principales hacen un perfecto papel pero sí lo hacen de manera adecuada. En todo caso la historia es entretenida. Puede observarse la belleza de la naturaleza, incluida la belleza de los actores principales. La tengo dentro de mi colección de películas. Por cierto: Viva la Reina
  7. ChuckW.
    Mar 5, 2006
    The original was a decent enough film, but this one is a pale copy. Don't waste your time with this drivel.
  8. MarkC
    Aug 23, 2007
    OK, it is not a movie that overloaded critics with perception disorders would expect, but it a is little fun for average viewers. One can feel so much hate towards Madonna and Ritchie prior to making an objective judgments from critics.
  9. StaceyG.
    Oct 4, 2003
    This was a blah movie hat never stopped being BLAH! it could have gotten a six frm me but it seems no one who worked on the film tried hard enough to make it decent... he lack of fun and determanation just made swept away even more BLAH! very bad but not awful... just BLAH!
  10. DorothyA.
    Aug 9, 2004
    This was the best love story I have seen and I now have a new respect for Madonna.
  11. SunnyY.
    Jan 22, 2005
    This movie is so fascinating...and sexy.. I really dont get it the critics...
  12. JamesLBond
    Apr 4, 2003
    Modonna I have two word for you "Stop Acting". It's like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. The original Swept Away was amazing. I think this remake could have been just as good. But filmmakers everywhere (including myself) here is rule number one: HIRE REAL ACTORS!!!!
  13. EmmaJ.
    Jun 1, 2003
    Best movie I have ever seen. Nice job Richie.
  14. FrankM.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Some look at the movie and see shallow people- but if we were there on the Island as the movie shows- we would see the real story behind the film- Thought both acting jobs fit the space given them in the movie.
  15. JuliaG.
    Feb 18, 2003
    I think this movie was very good, very surprising, emotional, and romantic....everyone just hates it cause its madonna, but once u get to the sad story behind it ull love it...must rent it and watch the whole thing!!!!!!!
  16. DaA.
    Nov 2, 2004
    I don't understand everyone. I liked this movie. She was unhappy in love who became happy in love. I thought Madonna was realistic in her role. And the male interest was easy on the eyes. Whats wrong with you guys!!!!
  17. DeniseQ.
    Apr 1, 2004
    Ugh...just ugh!
  18. MichelleB
    Sep 21, 2004
    I really liked the span of the camera, how the the backround drapped the emotions and moments.
  19. SarahL.
    Dec 29, 2002
    ...And here's Madonna... The chick should just give up, and she knows it. Good singer, yes, but the worst actress you could ask for.
  20. MattM.
    Feb 11, 2003
    Upon it's fall 2002 release, "Swept Away" was met with overwhelming disgust from critics, hence its extremely poor performance at the box office. And all this because its star is Madonna. If you can get past all the negative hype surrounding it, you'll find a real gem of a film. In fact, you'll find one of the best films of the year... no joke! Madonna is simply wonderful. Upon it's fall 2002 release, "Swept Away" was met with overwhelming disgust from critics, hence its extremely poor performance at the box office. And all this because its star is Madonna. If you can get past all the negative hype surrounding it, you'll find a real gem of a film. In fact, you'll find one of the best films of the year... no joke! Madonna is simply wonderful. She has never acted so well in her entire career, and she truly gives one of the year's best performances (despite what the Razzies will say!). She and costar Adriano Giannini acheive a spirited chemistry that eventually blossoms into a touching love relationship. Guy Ritchie's direction is brisk and handsome, and the film is simply gorgeous to behold, thanks to the lush tropical backdrops. The ending is truly heartbreaking, if a bit abrubt. "Swept Away" deserves a chance to be recognized as the fine film that it is. So give it that chance and see this film! Collapse
  21. LouisP.
    Feb 12, 2003
    This film is camp. Whether it is intented or not remains a question. Madonna is no Streep but she's slowly getting somewhere. Ritchie's direction is original in its banality. Years from now this film will be a classic.
  22. BobH.
    Mar 12, 2003
    I actually kind of enjoyed watching Madonna make a fool of herself. Nevertheless, this is still a boring, sexist piece of tripe.
  23. DianeW.
    Dec 26, 2004
    Just awful, slow, painful,acting awful, plot awful, Madonna awful, a wste of your life.
  24. DetectiveRobT.
    Dec 12, 2002
    I love this movie! It is an effective interrogation device that makes 'em spill their guts every time?sometimes after just 5 minutes of Madonna mumbling her way through this massacre. I've forced more confessions with this baby than the rack, iron maiden, and chinese water torture combined!
  25. Jul 23, 2011
    I just discovered this movie and surprised by negative reviews. Although not as great as the original I enjoyed it a great deal. Madonna was excellent and why young Giannin never did much more is a mystery. Excellent, touching movie

Overwhelming dislike - based on 27 Critics

1. One hopes that this is Hollywood's last go-round with Swept Away. Watching this fiasco, I kept having nightmares about a possible cartoon version, co-starring Cruella de Vil and Shrek.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    A simple misfire rather than a world-class fiasco. This misguided attempt to remake Lina Wertmuller's corrosive 1974 satire as a wistful romance is only unintentionally funny in the last reel.
    Isn't dubbed. But it sure feels like it. The characters open their mouths and their lips don't seem to be shaping the right words -- you can't believe any human beings would ever utter such ludicrous dialogue, with so little conviction.