Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: January 30, 2009
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 602 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
You guys asked this and I answered them right here.

Is it better than the sequels? Yes... however, the sequels are far from being bad.
Is it a good film? For some cases.
Do you think it deserves the 7 score? Yes.
TheQuietGamerMar 8, 2011
Taken is one of the greatest action movies I have ever seen, the plot will keep you hooked and on the edge of your seat, I wasn't disappointed with this movie and you wont be either.
MovieGuysJun 25, 2014
Taken is the kind of Neeson-esque action thriller that is impossible not to enjoy. The plot is simple and the characters are a bit cliché, but those are not the reasons to see Taken. It is a fun movie to watch, even if I didn't believe a damnTaken is the kind of Neeson-esque action thriller that is impossible not to enjoy. The plot is simple and the characters are a bit cliché, but those are not the reasons to see Taken. It is a fun movie to watch, even if I didn't believe a damn minute of it. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Slick action, a straightforward story, and one of the most fearsome performances from Liam Neeson I have ever seen make "Taken" an awesome filmic experience.
BrianMcCriticJun 10, 2013
Who knew that Liam Neesen could be this awesome. He single handedly makes this movie as good as it is. The villains aren't that important and the rest of the supporting cast are just there, but still a very entertaining film.
imthenoobJan 24, 2012
Neeson seems to have something going for him, He manages to take a generic film and make it into a blockbuster action flick that you shouldnt miss. The plot was generic and too similar to other action films out there but Neeson brings to lifeNeeson seems to have something going for him, He manages to take a generic film and make it into a blockbuster action flick that you shouldnt miss. The plot was generic and too similar to other action films out there but Neeson brings to life the action sequences and his performance takes this film to a whole other level. Expand
ydnar4Jan 10, 2015
Taken is one of the better action films from the past decade. Liam Neeson shows some power as an action star (although he may be overstaying his welcome). Taken has a good amount of action but it also has a family side. Neeson has moreTaken is one of the better action films from the past decade. Liam Neeson shows some power as an action star (although he may be overstaying his welcome). Taken has a good amount of action but it also has a family side. Neeson has more motivation than any other action star in this plot and you are forced to cheer for him. Taken also doesn't drag on, it is as long as it needs to be at 90 minutes. Expand
TokyochuchuFeb 20, 2013
Taken is one of the best pure action movies of the last ten years. watching Liam Neeson rip Paris apart as he frantically searches for his daughter is both intense and great fun. Taken is an excellent movie from start to finish.
worleyjamersMay 24, 2013
The phone scene where Liam Neeson listens to his daughter being kidnapped will be one of the most memorable scenes in film for many years. I love this film, flaws and all. Damn good entertainment. I will pay money to see any sequel they come up with.
StevenFMay 18, 2013
Right off the bat we get a glimpse of just how precise and perhaps primarily paranoid Liam Neeson's character in Taken is.
He plays former CIA operative Brian, a man estranged from his ex- wife Lenore Famke Janssen) is desperately attempting to remain close to his daughter, Kim (Maggie Grace) who he still sees as his baby girl but who is actually now in her late teens and wanting to go on holiday with her friend to Paris.
Brian helps out a few buddies who he use to work with in the CIA by doing security for a pop sensation, played by Holly Valance, who Brian ends up Brian ends up saving from a crazed stalker, she then says her mentor will take Kim under his wing as she is interested in being a singer.
When Brian finally decides to let Kin go to Paris, after several dad routines of ringing him when she lands and things like that, but when the two girls meet a handsome fellow willing to share a cab fare and inviting them to a party..all seems too good to be true, and it is.
Brian must listen down the phone as his daughter is kidnapped..attempting to calm her down he tells the kidnappers that he will find them and he will kill them.
The film really ramps up a gear at this point and Liam Neeson is in excellent action hero mode, his voice is cold and calculated while his actions are straight out of clever films if similar motives such as Bourne.
So yeah the whole straight up evil routine of the trafficking is a little OTT, and in all honesty the final half hour of the film isn't nearly as pulsating and enjoyable as the beginning, but an interesting character has been created in the form of Brian, he may be ruthless, but only to the ends of making his daughter happy but above all else, keeping her safe.
Some very entertaining and gritty scenes take place during the film, one in particular when Brian meets the men responsible for his daughters abduction. He poses as someone else and then recognises the voice that spoke to him on the phone, lets just say it was an excellent build up to a satisfying ruckus.
The film has got plenty of heart, half a brain and enough brawn to last a lifetime, definitely one of the biggest surprises out of the last few years, Liam Neeson is very much the staple of the film, it's all about him and perhaps feeding his brawling needs, more fun for us then.
HalfwelshmanNov 21, 2011
On the face of it, Taken shouldn't be any better than 90% of all the other action/thriller releases. It's got the usual sort of plot - retiree with convenient ass-kicking past coming out of retirement and...kicks ass. The difference betweenOn the face of it, Taken shouldn't be any better than 90% of all the other action/thriller releases. It's got the usual sort of plot - retiree with convenient ass-kicking past coming out of retirement and...kicks ass. The difference between Taken and, say, one of Arnie or Sly's clunkers is that the lead character, effectively portrayed by Liam Neeson, is actually empathetic. I don't know why no one thought of Neeson as an action hero before this - he's an imposing figure, and he can still clearly handle the stunts despite being in his late 50s. He's not just out to teach the bad guys a lesson just because they're bad (and bad they are), but he'll stop at nothing to get his kidnapped daughter home. There is no stronger force than the love of a parent for their child, and it is the telling of this aspect of the story, of a previously absent father trying to prove himself to his estranged daughter, that truly stands out in the film. Of course, being an action thriller with input from Luc Besson (writer and producer) and direction from Pierre Morel (who was the cinematographer on The Transporter and Unleashed), Taken was bound to have style in abundance, and it does. The film makes Paris look beautiful, and the action is expertly handled. Despite its technical competence, the action does become a little generic after a while, and though it never gets dull, the film isn't quite as exciting in its latter stages, and the plot is wrapped up a little too hastily. It's also a shame that a sequel has already been commissioned, so it looks like Neeson is going to be stuck doing the same sort of thing for some time to come, and it will get old fast. That said, Taken is a nice diversion, and provides us with a surprisingly well-rounded and relatable action man in Bryan Mills. Expand
NerdConsultantJan 6, 2015
Taken is a surprise in the fact that it's enjoyable on a lot of levels most notably in it's main character and it's action sequences which were both well done and Liam Neeson is really on top form for both. the film has excellentTaken is a surprise in the fact that it's enjoyable on a lot of levels most notably in it's main character and it's action sequences which were both well done and Liam Neeson is really on top form for both. the film has excellent cinematography and the plot while engaging suffered from having a lot of aspects kind of rushed and not fully explored. i also think the film could have used a more bond style villain to seem like a challenge to Bryan mills though that may have decreased the films realistic tone. that being said it was a film that is a great turn off you're brain and just enjoy feature and i would still place it as a possible recommendations over a lot of the large amounts of action films on offer nowerdays Expand
drlowdonAug 1, 2013
Anyone looking for a complex story is looking in the wrong place, 'Taken' is a pure action fare. Following the kidnapping of his daughter Bryan Mills, played by unexpected action star Liam Neeson, sets out to find her and punish thoseAnyone looking for a complex story is looking in the wrong place, 'Taken' is a pure action fare. Following the kidnapping of his daughter Bryan Mills, played by unexpected action star Liam Neeson, sets out to find her and punish those involved.

This simple set up leads to all manner of well directed and genuinely exciting car chases and fight scenes (although typically the bad guys seem to have been to the stormtrooper school of firearms training) meaning that the hour and a half will fly by.
oblique15Nov 2, 2013
I love this movie!.It has the one liners I always remember. It`s about a father trying to have a better relationship with his daughter, she gets kidnapped and he has to save her.
spadenxJan 20, 2012
I really didnt know why I liked the movie as much as I did until I relized that it was Liam Neeson's performance that took this film to the next level. The action is great, the plot is interesting but somewhat generic compared to other actionI really didnt know why I liked the movie as much as I did until I relized that it was Liam Neeson's performance that took this film to the next level. The action is great, the plot is interesting but somewhat generic compared to other action films, and the cast is solid. Totally worth watching. Expand
asylumspadezNov 26, 2011
Liam Neeson was great and I dont think anyone else could do this role as good as him. Though the story was pretty generic - The action was good and it kept you on edge from start to finish. Well worth the watch.
FilmVirtueFeb 14, 2014
An edge of the seat thriller that I found enjoyable on every single level. The plot, dialogue, cast as well as the acting were very realistic and dramatic.
MadMaxFuryRoadMay 18, 2015
Pretty fun and thrilling movie is violent. Liam Neeson is great in the film and the movie is very fun. The plot is pretty stupid but Liam Neeson doing his bad-ass job is always entertaining.
ArkonBladeMar 14, 2011
a simple plot guys daughter gets get kid napped and he goes to save her . the plot may be simple but the action , acting the suspense is very well done and makes for a exciting movie .
dev92Aug 25, 2012
I'm not really sure what the critics are on about here because this was a fantastic film and clearly the majority of people on this site agree with me. Fast-paced, dark and mysterious, Liam Neeson does a wonderful job in winning our hearts asI'm not really sure what the critics are on about here because this was a fantastic film and clearly the majority of people on this site agree with me. Fast-paced, dark and mysterious, Liam Neeson does a wonderful job in winning our hearts as he travels the world (Europe) to save his daughter. Expand
mds03Mar 3, 2013
Very good action thriller. Liam Neeson was really good for his part and so was Maggie Grace and Famke Janssen. The action scenes were awsome and it was fun to watch Liam Neeson beat up bad guys.
davenbettridgeOct 9, 2011
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that makeI don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you. Expand
potatoes351Oct 4, 2012
Taken is Liam Neeson at his best. Bryan Mills is a retired CIA field operative and father to his teenage daughter Kim. As a birthday present to Kim one of her friends Amanda invites her to Paris to follow the band U2 on their tour. AfterTaken is Liam Neeson at his best. Bryan Mills is a retired CIA field operative and father to his teenage daughter Kim. As a birthday present to Kim one of her friends Amanda invites her to Paris to follow the band U2 on their tour. After lying to her father and going to Paris, Kim and Amanda are abducted. Bryan travels to Paris and uses his ex-CIA skills to track her and her kidnappers down.
A true thrill ride that never ceases to amaze with its constant edge of your seat action and a story that always keeps you guessing.
sinadoomApr 6, 2013
I didn't expect this film to be good at all, but turns out that sometimes simplicity works best. There's nothing particularly special or unique about Taken compared to other action films, but where other films stretch to be over 2 hours withI didn't expect this film to be good at all, but turns out that sometimes simplicity works best. There's nothing particularly special or unique about Taken compared to other action films, but where other films stretch to be over 2 hours with lots of fillers and unnecessarily complicated plots (which can be annoying to explain if you're watching with someone else who isn't following), Taken is an action move for everyone. Think of it as a simplified Bourne movie; only in the context of an ex-CIA agent's daughter being kidnapped abroad. Of course, the film feels very standard. Everything is predictable from start to finish, there are a lot of clichés and there are no surprises. What Taken does is set a generic framework for an action film. It's simple, easy to follow, not too violent, not too long and not boring. Expand
moviegrabbagJun 12, 2011
This movie was actually better then I thought it would be. For the last year all I have heard is how great this movie was, but I could not see this actually being any good. I finally got a hold of a copy and sat down and watched it. First offThis movie was actually better then I thought it would be. For the last year all I have heard is how great this movie was, but I could not see this actually being any good. I finally got a hold of a copy and sat down and watched it. First off the acting was all around great for an action flick. Typically action flicks have good leads and weak everything else. I didn't really see a horrible actor. Next the plot was good and kept me interested. The thing that bothered me was the bad guys fell victim to the typical action movie pit fall. They shot thousands of bullets and only his him once (at the end of the movie no less). Yet our hero typically hits whoever is being aimed at. I get he was a hard core special forces guy but for the love of god he doesn't have an invisible force field. I kinda gave the fact a pass because I really can't think of an action movie that doesn't have that issue. Over all the movie was fun and exciting, its a definite watch. Expand
WriteFilmLive21Nov 30, 2012
"Taken" is a brutal, relentless, adrenaline-charged punch to the face. It manages, in 90 minutes, to kick more ass than your average 2-hour action thriller, and still it leaves plenty of exposition to develop true, believable characters and"Taken" is a brutal, relentless, adrenaline-charged punch to the face. It manages, in 90 minutes, to kick more ass than your average 2-hour action thriller, and still it leaves plenty of exposition to develop true, believable characters and establish genuine relationships. Liam Neeson delivers a powerhouse performance as a retired government spy who goes after a prostitution ring responsible for abducting his daughter, and although he may not look like it at first, he could give James Bond a run for his money. The action in this movie is very fast-paced, and once things get going the movie goes a mile a minute - you cannot help but get swept up in it all. This is one satisfying vendetta of violence at its most polished and pristine. Expand
AReviewsJun 25, 2013
The critics for this movie are unfair and unjust, this movie is epic with action/revenge sequences that blows up your mined, it also has some really clever/smart over the top scenes, with great and original story, and enchanting performances,The critics for this movie are unfair and unjust, this movie is epic with action/revenge sequences that blows up your mined, it also has some really clever/smart over the top scenes, with great and original story, and enchanting performances, this movie is epic. Expand
roddersj04May 11, 2011
Liam Neeson plays Bryan Mills, an ex-CIA agent who's daughter is kidnapped. The reason why I like this film so much is the fact that Bryan will stop at nothing to get his daughter back, not caring what risks he takes, he will do anything, andLiam Neeson plays Bryan Mills, an ex-CIA agent who's daughter is kidnapped. The reason why I like this film so much is the fact that Bryan will stop at nothing to get his daughter back, not caring what risks he takes, he will do anything, and I mean ANYTHING, to get back his daughter. He shoots his old friens wife in the arm, he chases a boat by driving at high speed the wrong way down a road and leaves a man to die from electrocution. At one point, he gets stabbed, shot and jumps through a glass pane, but none of that even slows him down, because his daughter's the most important thing to him, and he will endure anything to save her life. Liam Neeson is utterly believable in this role. Proof is in the scene where he listens to his daughter being kidnapped and says a little speech to the kidnapper, that if she is let go, he'll forget the whole thing, but if not, he will hunt the kidnapper down and kill him. Every single word Neeson says here, you believe him. You believe that he will stay true to his word and kill the man responsible for this, and he eventually does. This film boasts some brilliant action sequences, especially when Neeson finds the man he spoke to on the phone. He kills every man in that room and that dare to wander in his path, leaving the kidnapper to his self. I think I especially like this film because it reminds me of a favourite show of mine, the recently cancelled 24. Think about it, Neeson channels Jack Bauer, doing anything to get his daughter back, not giving a damn about the consequences, not thinking twice, doing whatever it takes to get back his kidnapped daughter within a time frame. Also, the action sequences, where Neeson is faced against a large number of men, but ends up winning nonetheless. This movie does exactly what it says on the tin, being a high octane action film with Neeson wanting to get his daughter back, and it doesnt try to pretend to be anything more. Please, enjoy Expand
MetalMan95Sep 6, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are looking for a Bourne rip-off with logic, you are in the wrong area. If you're look for a fun action-thriller, you are in the right place.If you even try to incorporate logic, you're gonna hate it. Because Neeson takes on 10 bad guys firing at him several times in the movie and he only gets hit once in hit abdomen. And it's predictable, but that doesn't take away from this fun exciting movie. This is Neeson's show. he is in every scene and he pulls it off perfectly. Maggie Grace plays her role great. Overall, if you like fun and suspenseful movies, you will like Taken Expand
PvtJacksonJan 18, 2014
I definitely think Taken deserves a 65 or even 70 instead of 50 ! The film is very touching, with Liam Neeson playing a loving father who is willing to do anything to rescue his daughter no matter how wrong and cruel those things are. That isI definitely think Taken deserves a 65 or even 70 instead of 50 ! The film is very touching, with Liam Neeson playing a loving father who is willing to do anything to rescue his daughter no matter how wrong and cruel those things are. That is what makes this movie unique, for it is just 30% an action movie in my opinion. The remaining 70% goes to the father's complicated yet determined internal feelings as he is on the way to kill every bad guy responsible for his daughter's abduction. Expand
Captain_KirkAug 29, 2012
'Taken' is a very basic action/thriller, centering on a man doing whatever it takes to get his kidnapped daughter back. The man is played by Liam Neeson, however, which means trouble for the guys that took his daughter. There is a lot of'Taken' is a very basic action/thriller, centering on a man doing whatever it takes to get his kidnapped daughter back. The man is played by Liam Neeson, however, which means trouble for the guys that took his daughter. There is a lot of hand-to-hand combat in the film, and it's exhilarating to watch as Neeson takes out multiple people in a matter of seconds with quick shots and the feel of impact as people are punched and kicked. There really isn't much reason to see the film for other than Neeson's strong performance and the butt kicking action scenes. With that being said, the film is well made and entertaining throughout it's brisk 93 minute running time. Expand
billrullerAug 31, 2012
I never saw this in theaters, or saw it when it first came out on DVD. My friend gave me a boot-leg of this, so I didn't have to spend I dime on it. I never bothered with it till I saw the trailer of a sequel to this movie in theaters, so II never saw this in theaters, or saw it when it first came out on DVD. My friend gave me a boot-leg of this, so I didn't have to spend I dime on it. I never bothered with it till I saw the trailer of a sequel to this movie in theaters, so I was thinking that I should just watch this movie and get it over with. I just watched it, and I am completely shocked about how well done this was. Liam Neeson is one of my favorite badass actors ever since he was Ra's Al Ghul in "Batman Begins". All I need to say is that he is one of the smartest action heroes I've ever seen in any action movie. Here's what I mean, in many action movies, the hero always takes his time to kill the boss or a henchmen. They just waits till the last minute to kill them or just leave them alive. But in this movie, Liam Neeson doesn't take his time or leave the enemies alive, he kills them all immediately! Even the final boss was simple to finish off. When the boss is holding a knife on somebody you've been trying to rescue, just shoot him in the head. He's not gonna kill her after he's gonna be dead by a simple shot, and that's exactly what Liam Neeson did. Smartest action hero EVER. Not only was the hero great, but the action and chase scenes were unbelievable. It keeps getting better and more exciting, I've been jumping and cheering Liam to survive and quickly save his daughter. It was awesome, and unexpecting to see something like this in an action movie. This movie deserves more positive reviews from critics, because this isn't one of those simple cliched action films. This is something different and well done, and needs to be seen by every action fan. Expand
Arthur_S_PoeFeb 21, 2015
With Liam Neeson performing so well, you really wonder why he turned down the offer to play James Bond early in his career... A very refreshing action movie that offers more than your usual Sly/Arnie/Steven movie. This one actually has aWith Liam Neeson performing so well, you really wonder why he turned down the offer to play James Bond early in his career... A very refreshing action movie that offers more than your usual Sly/Arnie/Steven movie. This one actually has a plot, a decent level of acting and ultimately doesn't make you laugh at it's childishness. Liam Neeson is excellent and his catchphrase has made it's way into popular culture, despite the movie being just six years old. It won't offer you a deep artistic insight, but a rush of adrenaline combined with a cleverly devised plot - that you can look forward to. Expand
MalasawasFeb 21, 2011
Even better than ''Unknown''! A lot of action too, but a lot more, a lot of good, well-performed shots and fights... credible, a based on little details, in fact this movie is about action and details, all the few details, even if they areEven better than ''Unknown''! A lot of action too, but a lot more, a lot of good, well-performed shots and fights... credible, a based on little details, in fact this movie is about action and details, all the few details, even if they are almost invisible are what devolope in a believable action scene! There's also scenes that take your breath away, like ''I cannot believe'' or ''wow, now I understand what he (Liam's character) really feels''... incredible, well-done and credible action scenes, well-chosen actors, and deep feelings about the parents relations, families, incredibly disturbing images, but real, sadly, madly REAL! Good Job!! Expand
moviebuff_420May 12, 2012
Oh wow...it is one of the best thriller movie I think it's the unique movie all over the world showing relationship of a father to his daughter.. Whole movie was too amazing and Liam Neeson just killed it... He is very strong in all scenes..Oh wow...it is one of the best thriller movie I think it's the unique movie all over the world showing relationship of a father to his daughter.. Whole movie was too amazing and Liam Neeson just killed it... He is very strong in all scenes.. The best scene is when he says to marko that..i will find you and i will kill you .. Fantastic execution,very good action and many intense scenes with thrilling plot...which totally works for almost all type of audience..must watch movie..especially for hero of the movie i.e Liam Neeson.. :D Just loved it :) Expand
bradtheman123Jan 4, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the better movies that Liam Neeson has stared in. If you have ever heard the scene in where he says, "I will find you, and I will kill you.'' This is where its from. The best part of the movie is both the kidnapping of her daughter and all the suspense that kills you throughout this movie. Expand
andrewgarcia732Sep 23, 2013
When Kim and her slutty friend Amanda get kidnapped in Paris, its up to her father to rescue them, while Kim's mother Lenore and her OK (but not better) stepfather watch.
While Taken might not be the most realistic action film out there, it
While Taken might not be the most realistic action film out there, it is still a good action film that benefits from having a great main lead: Liam Neeson! Liam Neeson is a excellent action actor, having starred in: Taken, Taken 2, Unknown, Battleship, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Rises and The A-Team, and is the perfect person to star in this movie as ex-CIA agent Bryan Mills. Exceptionally made, with solid-action, this is an awesome film. Another thing the film benefits from is having a lot of action, since it lets the audience forget the string of unlikely coincidences. One of my favorite scenes of all time is the "I will find You" scene. My only complaint was that there should've been more interaction between Bryan and Kim.

If you liked this review, read my other ones. If it was helpful, please mark it as helpful.

And P.S, at least Amanda got laid in Paris like she wanted.
SiAScORCHNov 6, 2014
The movie is definitely a lot better than what the ratings show. It is filled with action and this movie will definitely capture the audience watching it. The best part of it all, they are really people in the world that are trained to doThe movie is definitely a lot better than what the ratings show. It is filled with action and this movie will definitely capture the audience watching it. The best part of it all, they are really people in the world that are trained to do this, so it has some truth behind it. It's definitely worth watching and owning. In some parts it leaves you hanging because things are so close, then bam a twist is thrown it, so it's a good story line as well. Expand
Daniel2651Feb 10, 2014
If you thought the life of a retired spy was boring just wait until you see this amazing fast-paced action film.
In this film Liam Neeson plays a retired spy called Brian who lets his daughter, Kim, (Maggie Grace) and her friend Amanda (Katie Cassidy) go on atrip to Paris. But shortly after arriving in Paris Kim and Amanda get kidnapped which makes Brian promise that he'll get his daughter back. Will her live up to his promise or will he die trying? The film keeps the viewer wondering whether or not Brian will live up to this promise by emphasising over and over again that he only has a few hours before his daughter disappears forever.
At the beginning of the film Brian is introduced as a man who loves his daughter, which shows that he will do anything to get her back. And when he arrives in Paris the viewer gets the impression that even though Brian is retired he hasn't forgotten the skills he learnt in hand to hand combat. I got this impression when Brian got ninvoled in a fight scene just moments after he arrived in Paris.
At the beginning the film ropes you in with some light comedy and a very brutal fight scene. And in order to make sure you don't get bored of the light comedy the film also adds some suspense as soon as Kim arrives in Paris, and after this the action doesn't stop.
My favourite scene in the movie has got to be when Brian tracks the man who took his daughter to a house in Paris.This is my favourite scene because even though it starts off calm it isn't long before Brian is involved in yet another gun-fight which also involves some brutal fighting which is sure to make the viewer say "Ouch that's gotta hurt!"
As well as a lot of action this film also has a lot of gore which is shown in the intense fight scenes and in one very horrific torture scene.
I would recommend this film to anyone who likes fast-paced action films and I would rate it 8/10.
killian13Jul 7, 2013
a thriller that mixes action good sentiment and guns !
Liam Neeson is excellent in taken in furious father
Paris is his game field
a movie to see now
aggiefanatic95Feb 6, 2012
Some words to describe this movie: tenacious, no mercy, intense, action-packed, etc. This movie is different from the mainstream movie of today, which I liked. In most action movies the main character usually doesn't shoot everyone with noSome words to describe this movie: tenacious, no mercy, intense, action-packed, etc. This movie is different from the mainstream movie of today, which I liked. In most action movies the main character usually doesn't shoot everyone with no mercy, in most movie he tries to find the "nicest" way to get to the end, but not in this movie. Liam does everything in his power to save his daughter, he just walks in and starts shooting everybody, no stand offs where the characters talk to each other while they have guns pointing at each other heads in this movie. Expand
BathtubTomFeb 16, 2011
Surprisingly well done, and very intense. Liam Neesen does and excellent job playing the role of the action hero. The James Bond franchise should look at this movie and take some pointers.
joe_mcfarlaneSep 2, 2011
This is a really good film, another brilliant film by Liam Neeson. this will definitely be a big hit with action lovers, it never stops giving, with realistic action, this is edge of your seat action at its best.
RipperskiteJan 5, 2015
Esto es lo que se llama una buena película de acción y punto. Es así, no hay que ser un poeta para criticar esta película. Puede que las escenas de acción sean las típicas, pero se disfrutan.
Neo010390Sep 6, 2011
"I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you". One of Brian's most famous quotes in this non stop action packed thriller. If ever I have children, I hope I have the knowledge and skills that this guy has, trust me you do not want"I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you". One of Brian's most famous quotes in this non stop action packed thriller. If ever I have children, I hope I have the knowledge and skills that this guy has, trust me you do not want to mess with this man. Taken is an action/thriller film, starring Liam Neeson, Famke Janssen and Maggie Grace. Liam's character, Brian Mills is a former CIA operative and prevents bad things from happening. The opening starts off with Brian, who is very close to his daughter Kim (Maggie Grace). He arrives at her house to drop off her birthday present, but Lenore, (Famke Janssen) Brian's ex-wife, is very strict, and doesn't seem to trust or care about him, especially when she tries to send him away without even giving the present to Kim herself. After meeting at the Cafe Kim informs her Dad about a trip to Paris, and wants to go with her friends. Though uncomfortable with all this, he lets her go. Once they arrive in Paris, Kim and her friend Amanda meet this handsome French guy called Peter, who offers to share a taxi with them, and they agree. All three of them arrive at the hotel and Peter invites them to a party, Kim warns Amanda off because they don't even know him, but she doesn't listen and accepts his invite. As they settle into their apartment, Kim receives a missed call from her Dad. She calls, and tells him everything that's going on. Then Kim and her friend Amanda are taken by these men. Fortunately for Brian he has skills that he has required over a very long career and makes him a nightmare for people like them. And from this point on, we see what Brain is really capable of. If this man could do all the stuff he does in the movie in real life, there would be no need for policemen, FBI or the military. The film contains some great action scenes, great performances, especially from Liam who is like the Irish James Bond and more importantly a great story. I enjoy thrillers like this, it's dark, it's intense and its characters are exactly as they would be if the audience were the characters. Expand
Keymaster1Sep 22, 2010
Liam Neeson displayed a very deep, very dangerous man in this intense thriller directed by Pierre Morel (From Paris With Love, District B13). The story takes you in from the first scene. Hence the title: Taken. Liam Neeson plays Bryan Mills,Liam Neeson displayed a very deep, very dangerous man in this intense thriller directed by Pierre Morel (From Paris With Love, District B13). The story takes you in from the first scene. Hence the title: Taken. Liam Neeson plays Bryan Mills, a former spy with very deadly, very stealth, and very deadly skills that make him a straight up nightmare to people involved in dirt, scum, kidnapping rings, drugs etc. When his daughter and her best friend take a trip to Paris to follow rock group U2 on their Europe tour, things go terribly wrong and the two young girls are kidnapped and taken into a seedy underworld of prostitution and drugs. Mills knew that it was a bad idea the whole time, but his ex-wife played by Famke Janssen encourages the trip to let her daughter be free and see the world. Neeson engages in a personal mission to get his daughter back, a process that he is willing to stop at nothing for.
-Taken was directed really well and has some pretty good acting. The super-glue of the film was in fact the tense story. Overall 'Taken' was a very original and interesting story, and it ultimately proves that you do not want to **** around with Liam Neeson, especially if it involves his daughter! Very good movie.
smithbhurricaneSep 9, 2012
This is a good movie and I'm shocked that the Critics would rate it so low. Intense from the word go, Liam Neesen is awesome in this role.
jacked_beastSep 27, 2014
This was an excellent action thriller! I was hooked all the way to the end of the film. The stepfather really pissed me off and you will understand why after watching it. The action sequences and deaths were epic. The plot was simple but itsThis was an excellent action thriller! I was hooked all the way to the end of the film. The stepfather really pissed me off and you will understand why after watching it. The action sequences and deaths were epic. The plot was simple but its okay because it wasn't essential to the type of movie this is. Overall, I highly recommend this and also Taken 2. Expand
SlubbertKingMay 19, 2012
Liam Neeson does an exceptional job in this film. Love the way he bashes bad guys faces in while only breaking slightly more of a sweat then Bond. Good movie. Well worth your time
itsLukeNunnJan 12, 2015
An amazingly well made film with a great concept. Keeps you captivated and excited all the way through! Liam Neeson is a bad ass! Definitely worth a watch!
daan14acdcJun 18, 2013
its a good action movie with a lot of action fun action with a good story that is posible to happen to oul of us around 18 it starts a litle slow but wen its the action is there ist cool but it seems like liam neesen is so strong nobody canits a good action movie with a lot of action fun action with a good story that is posible to happen to oul of us around 18 it starts a litle slow but wen its the action is there ist cool but it seems like liam neesen is so strong nobody can do something about it he is untouseble but its a realy cool and fun action movie that you have to see Expand
JCMOct 2, 2012
The last time I remember seeing Liam Neeson was in Schindler's List a couple years back and I was both amazed and captivated by his performance. So I decided to checkout one of his more recent efforts and I got to say Taken is underrated inThe last time I remember seeing Liam Neeson was in Schindler's List a couple years back and I was both amazed and captivated by his performance. So I decided to checkout one of his more recent efforts and I got to say Taken is underrated in the action-thriller genre. Taken follows the story of Bryan Mills (Liam Neesoon), a divorced, retired government agent out to search for his kidnap daughter in Paris. While Taken does venture into familiar territory, it's well written with a believable protagonist and an interesting plot to keep anyone engage. Unlike most action movies we have Liam Neeson who's an actor first and an action star second. You'll definitely care about him thanks to his great performance and is surprisingly very believable when he kills henchmen after henchmen. He's easily the best part of the movie aside from the well told and thrilling plot. What's surprise me most of all is that it wasn't better received by critics. Sure Taken doesn't break any new ground, but it's much better than your average action flick as even the dramatic scenes are as entertaining as the action set-pieces. Not only is it well shot with a tense atmosphere keeping you at the edge of your seat, it also got good acting which is hard to come by in this genre. Despite feeling familiar to other action-thrillers, Taken is ultimately fun entertainment. With a well told story that has an interesting leading character and enough violence to satisfy, Taken is a blast from beginning to end. Expand
ElijahH.Jan 30, 2009
10 minutes of set up for 80 minutes of intense, non-stop action. I saw this movie last year in Australia and loved every minute of it.
DustinFeb 2, 2009
Don't believe these morons (critics), Taken is an overall great movie. The pacing is perfect, with never a dull moment or long, drawn out dialogue scene. Neeson is entirely believable, especially if you are familiar with the problems of Don't believe these morons (critics), Taken is an overall great movie. The pacing is perfect, with never a dull moment or long, drawn out dialogue scene. Neeson is entirely believable, especially if you are familiar with the problems of human trafficking. Can't wait to get this on Blu-ray. Expand
SasoKFeb 4, 2009
Best action thriller in 2008 by far.
kevinfFeb 21, 2009
A hugely entertaining rollercoaster ride as Neeson cuts a swathe through the Albanian criminal diaspora on the hunt for his abducted daughter. Wildly un-PC but Bourne fans will love this one too.
SpectrekFeb 2, 2009
Very good story, great action, Liam Neeson did a very good job.
RobCFeb 2, 2009
The problem is people are comparing this to other revenge movies. When simply this movie is all about an endless sacrifice and the power and emotion behind this makes you realise that family is the most important thing of all. I related to The problem is people are comparing this to other revenge movies. When simply this movie is all about an endless sacrifice and the power and emotion behind this makes you realise that family is the most important thing of all. I related to this movie so much as I have a daughter and felt the real emotion. Amazingly acted and one of the best character relationships I've seen in a movie. Expand
ArtGFeb 3, 2009
Purely viseral. Belivable for the most part, no super human abilities. I do wish however hollywood would learn how actual gunfights occure rather than the taking turns shooting around corners at each other.
larryk.Feb 6, 2009
Saso, Dave, the Captain, Art, the Spectre, Martin, and Dustin have got it right. "Don't believe these morons (critics)"! Taken is not the kind of movie you over-analyze like critics are compelled to do. It's the kind of movie to Saso, Dave, the Captain, Art, the Spectre, Martin, and Dustin have got it right. "Don't believe these morons (critics)"! Taken is not the kind of movie you over-analyze like critics are compelled to do. It's the kind of movie to just be enjoyed. It's good fiction and a very entertaining thriller. Liam Neeson makes a wonderful kick-ass daddy who gives the bad guys exactly what they deserve and you enjoy every minute of it. Expand
JodySFeb 6, 2009
Don't listen to these ridiculous low scores from the critics. The movie was very well shot and edited and is great for what it is... a non stop action movie. Neeson is great, the fight scenes are well done and the movie keeps you on the Don't listen to these ridiculous low scores from the critics. The movie was very well shot and edited and is great for what it is... a non stop action movie. Neeson is great, the fight scenes are well done and the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat. Expand
TimT.Feb 6, 2009
Pure adrenaline. Anyone who expected anything else thinks too much and will be disappointed. A fun getaway film.
michaelv.Feb 7, 2009
What do we need critics for ? They gave this movie 50 out of 100 and now the movie maybe wont come to Denmark. By accident i saw it at hotel Room in England and its one of the most exciting ive ever seen. So thumbs down to critics and thumbs What do we need critics for ? They gave this movie 50 out of 100 and now the movie maybe wont come to Denmark. By accident i saw it at hotel Room in England and its one of the most exciting ive ever seen. So thumbs down to critics and thumbs up to movie and look at user average before my vote. 8,2 out of 10 ? Do we have a gap ? I believe so. Watch it. Expand
AnnaFeb 9, 2009
I thought this movie was excellent! I am still thinking about it and all the parts that really had me jump!!!
StanMMar 30, 2009
Some would say taken is a ridiculous far fetched thriller, their very wrong compare it to say hitman or the transporter series, now those get far fetched this is more like the bourne series better realism in its action, and yes perhaps the Some would say taken is a ridiculous far fetched thriller, their very wrong compare it to say hitman or the transporter series, now those get far fetched this is more like the bourne series better realism in its action, and yes perhaps the villains arnt original but its really well done i wouldnt recommend it like i would with the bourne ultimatum, but its right a floor below that, if you like thrillers watch taken also nice acting well done! Expand
MichaelS.Mar 4, 2009
This movie was the right way to start of 2009- with a bang!
DerekSMay 10, 2009
A very good action flick with a believable story and a great star in Neeson. Thought the movie was well paced to where when the action started, it was unexpected and thrilling. Yes there are some scenes that are over the top, but still A very good action flick with a believable story and a great star in Neeson. Thought the movie was well paced to where when the action started, it was unexpected and thrilling. Yes there are some scenes that are over the top, but still passable because this is an action flick first and foremost. I did not feel a xenophobic vibe at all, other than you have to always be careful, even in the country you live in and to never trust strangers. Overall the movie did it's job, it was entertaining and gave my family room to discuss the whole drive home from the theater. Expand
averycNov 22, 2009
This is an action film. This is a thrilling action film. Neeson is very good. This is not a great film. However, it's a great, great action film. It goes by in what seems like twenty minutes.
RobertT.Jan 31, 2009
Screw the critics - I loved it. Get's into the story quick and doesn't let up. Give me this over and over rated James Bond movie any day.
JeremyB.Jan 31, 2009
Very good movie. Worth the money. It has a very good story line and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The movie starts off great and continually moves up the ladder.
decrdeckardJan 30, 2009
What's wrong with the critics giving such scores for this? This movie was just what it tried to be, an action movie with a lead character being a real badass killing machine with the know how and moves. His girl gets taken away from What's wrong with the critics giving such scores for this? This movie was just what it tried to be, an action movie with a lead character being a real badass killing machine with the know how and moves. His girl gets taken away from him, he goes to get her back. Simple and nothing else needed, I felt entertained thro the whole movie. Also I miss these "feel good" action movies from time to time where the lead really kicks ass and gets the job done without too much hassle. I mean take Arnold's Commando for example, if you want to see paypack delivered with no questions asked, these are the movies you'd want to see. Bravo! Expand
TomB.Jan 30, 2009
Great action - not for the bleeding hearts who mostly review movies.
NathanielJ.Feb 1, 2009
It was a good enjoyable movie that had great realistic action and suspense. Liam Neeson was great.
JohnK.Feb 11, 2009
I like to rate films on there content and knowing what I film I am going to see. This of course is an action film so I went in with no high expectations of plot but I found accebtable and could happen. But what made me so excited and loving I like to rate films on there content and knowing what I film I am going to see. This of course is an action film so I went in with no high expectations of plot but I found accebtable and could happen. But what made me so excited and loving every scene was the fast pace, you sit there and beg for the action scene and they do not disappoint. Only reason I did'nt give this film a ten is the ending and the sometimes corny dialogue between Liam and his daughter. Liam is a legend in this film and has got my full respect as an action hero! Excellent and fast paced film! Expand
RickyS.Feb 1, 2009
This movie was amazing. Like most critics say, its a little slow at first, but once Neeson starts his hunt, it sky rockets.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
ChuckMFeb 1, 2009
I have no idea why the (so-called) critics have panned this movie so much, it really isn't anywhere near as bad as they're making out. You've seen it all before in various other revenge movies, but it has enough new ideas to I have no idea why the (so-called) critics have panned this movie so much, it really isn't anywhere near as bad as they're making out. You've seen it all before in various other revenge movies, but it has enough new ideas to hold interest and enough of it's own style to keep things fresh. It's a slowish start but barely worth a mention as once the action starts it's non-stop, but this is possibly also the films weakest point. Everything just seems to happen with little regard for pacing, plot direction or character building. Every move Liam Neeson takes seems to work out and give him yet another lead, you never get the feeling that the film will have anything other Hollywood ending. Along with a few cheesy moments and a bit of bad acting the main body of the film feels rushed. That said though, it's a good watch, with the girlfriend or a group of friends everyone will enjoy this. Neeson gets you behind him and you find yourself egging him on to add to the growing tally of corpses left in his wake. More deep than say Transporter, not by much though but it feels less aimed at teens. Definite one to watch. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
JackBFeb 10, 2009
Great film, saw it months ago, what happened Meatcritic? Very late reviews. Fantastic action, as good as Bourne, far better than Bond.
MattH.Feb 1, 2009
Delivered in every respect.
VinceFeb 19, 2009
I thought this movie was fantastic. It didn't pretend to be something it wasn't, it didn't try to make a point... it was simply a flim about an incredible badass that goes on a f***** rampage to try and get his daughter back. I thought this movie was fantastic. It didn't pretend to be something it wasn't, it didn't try to make a point... it was simply a flim about an incredible badass that goes on a f***** rampage to try and get his daughter back. Highly entertaining the whole way through, and that's what a movie should be. Expand
BobPFeb 20, 2009
Good and fun flick. I didn't like some of the action, but the movie's quirkiness made up for it. Will watch again. The critics didn't like it because it portrayed Albanians badly? Well yeah, they were the bad guys -- some Good and fun flick. I didn't like some of the action, but the movie's quirkiness made up for it. Will watch again. The critics didn't like it because it portrayed Albanians badly? Well yeah, they were the bad guys -- some movies have bad guys you know. Because it protrayed foreign travel as dangerous? Yeah, this is not a foreign college road trip movie. It's an action flick, not a insightful psychological drama. I don't know why they expect it to be something that it isn't. Expand
JasonDeatherageFeb 23, 2009
I thought that this was a great movie. I loved the action and the overall pacing of the film. It felt like an older version of Jason Bourne. Liam was a bada**.
DrewFFeb 27, 2009
Proof that critics really don't understand what the general populace are looking for in a film, during these down-economic times. "Taken" really seems to connect with father's, in particular. Great revenge flick. Possibly the best Proof that critics really don't understand what the general populace are looking for in a film, during these down-economic times. "Taken" really seems to connect with father's, in particular. Great revenge flick. Possibly the best since the days of "Death Wish".....? Expand
BibliotechaS.Feb 5, 2009
Best action movie of 2000s. Better than bond, better than stupid giggly camera boy hero Bourne. This is just a pissed off father taking his daughter back from illegal immigrants. Rocks! I love when he personally electrocutes criminals. Liam Best action movie of 2000s. Better than bond, better than stupid giggly camera boy hero Bourne. This is just a pissed off father taking his daughter back from illegal immigrants. Rocks! I love when he personally electrocutes criminals. Liam rocks! doesn't get much better than a pissed off seal. Focused. Driven. Screw the critics. This one's a keeper. Expand
AndyLFeb 7, 2009
This is one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. Every once in a while you see a movie preview and know that the critics will hate it but you will love it. This was that movie. I just got home and I want to see it again already.
rashadsFeb 9, 2009
This was an excellent movie. This proves that reviewers dont know what they are talking about. Once it picked you up it didnt let you down. Great story, action, and pacing. Loved how you could see Liam's desparation as the movie This was an excellent movie. This proves that reviewers dont know what they are talking about. Once it picked you up it didnt let you down. Great story, action, and pacing. Loved how you could see Liam's desparation as the movie progressed. Movie reviewers suck so bad. Expand
JamesO.Mar 9, 2009
This was a very good movie that everyone should go see and watch. I don't understand why critics rated it badly but then rated other junky films good.
rapzehMar 9, 2009
Very good movie, much better that I would of expected.
MannyCApr 5, 2009
Action packed, fast paced film, kept me at the edge of my seat.
JesseHMay 23, 2009
Once more I wonder what the critics were smoking when they rated this movie. This movie is great in every way, and had me immersed the whole way. Definitely worth anyone's time.
MustafaAJun 24, 2009
Excellent movie..lots of action and good story.
RussPJun 24, 2009
The chase is intelligent and intriguing. The action is gripping. The movie's fine script is well-performed by fine actors.
danielbJul 30, 2009
This film is superb. The plot is outrageous and occasionally indulges it's self but its just so so so satisfying to watch a retired Jason Bourne go on a truly brutal rampage of heroic revenge. Its Bourne Supremacy + history of violence This film is superb. The plot is outrageous and occasionally indulges it's self but its just so so so satisfying to watch a retired Jason Bourne go on a truly brutal rampage of heroic revenge. Its Bourne Supremacy + history of violence - the boring aspects of reality. what more could you want!!! Expand
MichaelMAug 31, 2009
I must admit stories with little depth don't really attract me, but this story reminds me of the good ole shoot em ups (Story point is of little importance). The destination, or in this case the rescue, is the focal point, but the I must admit stories with little depth don't really attract me, but this story reminds me of the good ole shoot em ups (Story point is of little importance). The destination, or in this case the rescue, is the focal point, but the journey itself is intense and keeps you flinching on your seat. I actually found myself muttering under my breath: "Kill them", "No mercy", "kill the sons of..." etc I'm giving it a 9/10 because the last time I remember muttering all that, was when I saw Charles Bronson in Death Wish 3 mow down all the gang members with his M1919 Browning machine gun out in the street. Expand
MichaeliDec 3, 2009
Thought it was excellent! Especially 'i will find you scene'. Maybe you got to be a parent to understand it!
4 of 6 users found this helpful
DrewRJan 31, 2009
I highly recomend this movie, especialy if you were disipointed by the last James Bond film. I find Neeson's character more comelling than Bond because he's not in it for the beautiful women, he's in it to save his family.
PaulSJan 31, 2009
Fun flick. Just what you would expect. 1 and 1/2 hours of *ss-kicking.
R.L.Jan 30, 2009
Exceptional!! Taken is the most adrenaline pumping, action packed thriller I've seen in awhile. Taken stars Liam Neeson as Brian Mills an ex-black op's agent who while trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter allows her to Exceptional!! Taken is the most adrenaline pumping, action packed thriller I've seen in awhile. Taken stars Liam Neeson as Brian Mills an ex-black op's agent who while trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter allows her to go to Paris for some fun and relaxation away from home. But as soon as they get there she is kidnapped by a group of men who are involved in human trafficking. Now Brian has less than 48 hours to find her or she's gone forever. Taken is one of the most well made movies to come out this year, it's an amazing thrill ride that you cant miss. I very highly recommend this movie. Expand
1 of 2 users found this helpful
JakeK.Jan 30, 2009
Attention 24 Fans: SEE THIS MOVIE.
IainFJan 30, 2009
Are these "critics" out of their minds? I'm not really in the mood of writing a review after metacritic turned down my last review saying the film wasn't out yet when it had already been out in the UK, so I'm not going into Are these "critics" out of their minds? I'm not really in the mood of writing a review after metacritic turned down my last review saying the film wasn't out yet when it had already been out in the UK, so I'm not going into detail, but Taken was just as good as, if not better, than any of the Bourne films. Neeson was absolutely awesome as always, and it provided some of the best action (non-stop) of 2008. Brilliantly shot, and the story actually stayed quite unteresting, but the film stayed true to it's roots, a hard as nails action flick in which Liam Neeson tares apart anything with legs. I LOVED this film, please watch it. Unless you're a stuck up snob who tries to pride himself among watching independent films and only agreeing with metacritic's review scores, and not taking the time to sit back, relax, and enjoy a film, then watch this and you wont regret doing so. Expand
3 of 3 users found this helpful
CAEntJan 30, 2009
Solid action all the way through. Neeson does a great job in this film.