Taken

7.4

1. ElijahH.
    Jan 30, 2009
    10 minutes of set up for 80 minutes of intense, non-stop action. I saw this movie last year in Australia and loved every minute of it.
  2. Dustin
    Feb 2, 2009
    Don't believe these morons (critics), Taken is an overall great movie. The pacing is perfect, with never a dull moment or long, drawn out dialogue scene. Neeson is entirely believable, especially if you are familiar with the problems of human trafficking. Can't wait to get this on Blu-ray.
  3. SasoK
    Feb 4, 2009
    Best action thriller in 2008 by far.
  4. kevinf
    Feb 21, 2009
    A hugely entertaining rollercoaster ride as Neeson cuts a swathe through the Albanian criminal diaspora on the hunt for his abducted daughter. Wildly un-PC but Bourne fans will love this one too.
  5. Spectrek
    Feb 2, 2009
    Very good story, great action, Liam Neeson did a very good job.
  6. RobC
    Feb 2, 2009
    The problem is people are comparing this to other revenge movies. When simply this movie is all about an endless sacrifice and the power and emotion behind this makes you realise that family is the most important thing of all. I related to this movie so much as I have a daughter and felt the real emotion. Amazingly acted and one of the best character relationships I've seen in a movie.
  7. ArtG
    Feb 3, 2009
    Purely viseral. Belivable for the most part, no super human abilities. I do wish however hollywood would learn how actual gunfights occure rather than the taking turns shooting around corners at each other.
  8. larryk.
    Feb 6, 2009
    Saso, Dave, the Captain, Art, the Spectre, Martin, and Dustin have got it right. "Don't believe these morons (critics)"! Taken is not the kind of movie you over-analyze like critics are compelled to do. It's the kind of movie to just be enjoyed. It's good fiction and a very entertaining thriller. Liam Neeson makes a wonderful kick-ass daddy who gives the bad guys exactly Saso, Dave, the Captain, Art, the Spectre, Martin, and Dustin have got it right. "Don't believe these morons (critics)"! Taken is not the kind of movie you over-analyze like critics are compelled to do. It's the kind of movie to just be enjoyed. It's good fiction and a very entertaining thriller. Liam Neeson makes a wonderful kick-ass daddy who gives the bad guys exactly what they deserve and you enjoy every minute of it. Expand
  9. JodyS
    Feb 6, 2009
    Don't listen to these ridiculous low scores from the critics. The movie was very well shot and edited and is great for what it is... a non stop action movie. Neeson is great, the fight scenes are well done and the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat.
  10. TimT.
    Feb 6, 2009
    Pure adrenaline. Anyone who expected anything else thinks too much and will be disappointed. A fun getaway film.
  11. michaelv.
    Feb 7, 2009
    What do we need critics for ? They gave this movie 50 out of 100 and now the movie maybe wont come to Denmark. By accident i saw it at hotel Room in England and its one of the most exciting ive ever seen. So thumbs down to critics and thumbs up to movie and look at user average before my vote. 8,2 out of 10 ? Do we have a gap ? I believe so. Watch it.
  12. Anna
    Feb 9, 2009
    I thought this movie was excellent! I am still thinking about it and all the parts that really had me jump!!!
  13. StanM
    Mar 30, 2009
    Some would say taken is a ridiculous far fetched thriller, their very wrong compare it to say hitman or the transporter series, now those get far fetched this is more like the bourne series better realism in its action, and yes perhaps the villains arnt original but its really well done i wouldnt recommend it like i would with the bourne ultimatum, but its right a floor below that, if you Some would say taken is a ridiculous far fetched thriller, their very wrong compare it to say hitman or the transporter series, now those get far fetched this is more like the bourne series better realism in its action, and yes perhaps the villains arnt original but its really well done i wouldnt recommend it like i would with the bourne ultimatum, but its right a floor below that, if you like thrillers watch taken also nice acting well done! Expand
  14. MichaelS.
    Mar 4, 2009
    This movie was the right way to start of 2009- with a bang!
  15. DerekS
    May 10, 2009
    A very good action flick with a believable story and a great star in Neeson. Thought the movie was well paced to where when the action started, it was unexpected and thrilling. Yes there are some scenes that are over the top, but still passable because this is an action flick first and foremost. I did not feel a xenophobic vibe at all, other than you have to always be careful, even in the A very good action flick with a believable story and a great star in Neeson. Thought the movie was well paced to where when the action started, it was unexpected and thrilling. Yes there are some scenes that are over the top, but still passable because this is an action flick first and foremost. I did not feel a xenophobic vibe at all, other than you have to always be careful, even in the country you live in and to never trust strangers. Overall the movie did it's job, it was entertaining and gave my family room to discuss the whole drive home from the theater. Expand
  16. averyc
    Nov 22, 2009
    This is an action film. This is a thrilling action film. Neeson is very good. This is not a great film. However, it's a great, great action film. It goes by in what seems like twenty minutes.
  17. RobertT.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Screw the critics - I loved it. Get's into the story quick and doesn't let up. Give me this over and over rated James Bond movie any day.
  18. JeremyB.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Very good movie. Worth the money. It has a very good story line and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The movie starts off great and continually moves up the ladder.
  19. decrdeckard
    Jan 30, 2009
    What's wrong with the critics giving such scores for this? This movie was just what it tried to be, an action movie with a lead character being a real badass killing machine with the know how and moves. His girl gets taken away from him, he goes to get her back. Simple and nothing else needed, I felt entertained thro the whole movie. Also I miss these "feel good" action movies from What's wrong with the critics giving such scores for this? This movie was just what it tried to be, an action movie with a lead character being a real badass killing machine with the know how and moves. His girl gets taken away from him, he goes to get her back. Simple and nothing else needed, I felt entertained thro the whole movie. Also I miss these "feel good" action movies from time to time where the lead really kicks ass and gets the job done without too much hassle. I mean take Arnold's Commando for example, if you want to see paypack delivered with no questions asked, these are the movies you'd want to see. Bravo! Expand
  20. TomB.
    Jan 30, 2009
    Great action - not for the bleeding hearts who mostly review movies.
  21. NathanielJ.
    Feb 1, 2009
    It was a good enjoyable movie that had great realistic action and suspense. Liam Neeson was great.
  22. JohnK.
    Feb 11, 2009
    I like to rate films on there content and knowing what I film I am going to see. This of course is an action film so I went in with no high expectations of plot but I found accebtable and could happen. But what made me so excited and loving every scene was the fast pace, you sit there and beg for the action scene and they do not disappoint. Only reason I did'nt give this film a ten I like to rate films on there content and knowing what I film I am going to see. This of course is an action film so I went in with no high expectations of plot but I found accebtable and could happen. But what made me so excited and loving every scene was the fast pace, you sit there and beg for the action scene and they do not disappoint. Only reason I did'nt give this film a ten is the ending and the sometimes corny dialogue between Liam and his daughter. Liam is a legend in this film and has got my full respect as an action hero! Excellent and fast paced film! Expand
  23. RickyS.
    Feb 1, 2009
    This movie was amazing. Like most critics say, its a little slow at first, but once Neeson starts his hunt, it sky rockets.
  24. ChuckM
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have no idea why the (so-called) critics have panned this movie so much, it really isn't anywhere near as bad as they're making out. You've seen it all before in various other revenge movies, but it has enough new ideas to hold interest and enough of it's own style to keep things fresh. It's a slowish start but barely worth a mention as once the action starts I have no idea why the (so-called) critics have panned this movie so much, it really isn't anywhere near as bad as they're making out. You've seen it all before in various other revenge movies, but it has enough new ideas to hold interest and enough of it's own style to keep things fresh. It's a slowish start but barely worth a mention as once the action starts it's non-stop, but this is possibly also the films weakest point. Everything just seems to happen with little regard for pacing, plot direction or character building. Every move Liam Neeson takes seems to work out and give him yet another lead, you never get the feeling that the film will have anything other Hollywood ending. Along with a few cheesy moments and a bit of bad acting the main body of the film feels rushed. That said though, it's a good watch, with the girlfriend or a group of friends everyone will enjoy this. Neeson gets you behind him and you find yourself egging him on to add to the growing tally of corpses left in his wake. More deep than say Transporter, not by much though but it feels less aimed at teens. Definite one to watch. Expand
  25. JackB
    Feb 10, 2009
    Great film, saw it months ago, what happened Meatcritic? Very late reviews. Fantastic action, as good as Bourne, far better than Bond.
  26. MattH.
    Feb 1, 2009
    Delivered in every respect.
  27. Vince
    Feb 19, 2009
    I thought this movie was fantastic. It didn't pretend to be something it wasn't, it didn't try to make a point... it was simply a flim about an incredible badass that goes on a f***** rampage to try and get his daughter back. Highly entertaining the whole way through, and that's what a movie should be.
  28. BobP
    Feb 20, 2009
    Good and fun flick. I didn't like some of the action, but the movie's quirkiness made up for it. Will watch again. The critics didn't like it because it portrayed Albanians badly? Well yeah, they were the bad guys -- some movies have bad guys you know. Because it protrayed foreign travel as dangerous? Yeah, this is not a foreign college road trip movie. It's an action Good and fun flick. I didn't like some of the action, but the movie's quirkiness made up for it. Will watch again. The critics didn't like it because it portrayed Albanians badly? Well yeah, they were the bad guys -- some movies have bad guys you know. Because it protrayed foreign travel as dangerous? Yeah, this is not a foreign college road trip movie. It's an action flick, not a insightful psychological drama. I don't know why they expect it to be something that it isn't. Expand
  29. JasonDeatherage
    Feb 23, 2009
    I thought that this was a great movie. I loved the action and the overall pacing of the film. It felt like an older version of Jason Bourne. Liam was a bada**.
  30. DrewF
    Feb 27, 2009
    Proof that critics really don't understand what the general populace are looking for in a film, during these down-economic times. "Taken" really seems to connect with father's, in particular. Great revenge flick. Possibly the best since the days of "Death Wish".....?
  31. BibliotechaS.
    Feb 5, 2009
    Best action movie of 2000s. Better than bond, better than stupid giggly camera boy hero Bourne. This is just a pissed off father taking his daughter back from illegal immigrants. Rocks! I love when he personally electrocutes criminals. Liam rocks! doesn't get much better than a pissed off seal. Focused. Driven. Screw the critics. This one's a keeper.
  32. AndyL
    Feb 7, 2009
    This is one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. Every once in a while you see a movie preview and know that the critics will hate it but you will love it. This was that movie. I just got home and I want to see it again already.
  33. rashads
    Feb 9, 2009
    This was an excellent movie. This proves that reviewers dont know what they are talking about. Once it picked you up it didnt let you down. Great story, action, and pacing. Loved how you could see Liam's desparation as the movie progressed. Movie reviewers suck so bad.
  34. JamesO.
    Mar 9, 2009
    This was a very good movie that everyone should go see and watch. I don't understand why critics rated it badly but then rated other junky films good.
  35. rapzeh
    Mar 9, 2009
    Very good movie, much better that I would of expected.
  36. MannyC
    Apr 5, 2009
    Action packed, fast paced film, kept me at the edge of my seat.
  37. JesseH
    May 23, 2009
    Once more I wonder what the critics were smoking when they rated this movie. This movie is great in every way, and had me immersed the whole way. Definitely worth anyone's time.
  38. MustafaA
    Jun 24, 2009
    Excellent movie..lots of action and good story.
  39. RussP
    Jun 24, 2009
    The chase is intelligent and intriguing. The action is gripping. The movie's fine script is well-performed by fine actors.
  40. danielb
    Jul 30, 2009
    This film is superb. The plot is outrageous and occasionally indulges it's self but its just so so so satisfying to watch a retired Jason Bourne go on a truly brutal rampage of heroic revenge. Its Bourne Supremacy + history of violence - the boring aspects of reality. what more could you want!!!
  41. MichaelM
    Aug 31, 2009
    I must admit stories with little depth don't really attract me, but this story reminds me of the good ole shoot em ups (Story point is of little importance). The destination, or in this case the rescue, is the focal point, but the journey itself is intense and keeps you flinching on your seat. I actually found myself muttering under my breath: "Kill them", "No mercy", "kill the sons I must admit stories with little depth don't really attract me, but this story reminds me of the good ole shoot em ups (Story point is of little importance). The destination, or in this case the rescue, is the focal point, but the journey itself is intense and keeps you flinching on your seat. I actually found myself muttering under my breath: "Kill them", "No mercy", "kill the sons of..." etc I'm giving it a 9/10 because the last time I remember muttering all that, was when I saw Charles Bronson in Death Wish 3 mow down all the gang members with his M1919 Browning machine gun out in the street. Expand
  42. Michaeli
    Dec 3, 2009
    Thought it was excellent! Especially 'i will find you scene'. Maybe you got to be a parent to understand it!
  43. DrewR
    Jan 31, 2009
    I highly recomend this movie, especialy if you were disipointed by the last James Bond film. I find Neeson's character more comelling than Bond because he's not in it for the beautiful women, he's in it to save his family.
  44. PaulS
    Jan 31, 2009
    Fun flick. Just what you would expect. 1 and 1/2 hours of *ss-kicking.
  45. R.L.
    Jan 30, 2009
    Exceptional!! Taken is the most adrenaline pumping, action packed thriller I've seen in awhile. Taken stars Liam Neeson as Brian Mills an ex-black op's agent who while trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter allows her to go to Paris for some fun and relaxation away from home. But as soon as they get there she is kidnapped by a group of men who are involved in human Exceptional!! Taken is the most adrenaline pumping, action packed thriller I've seen in awhile. Taken stars Liam Neeson as Brian Mills an ex-black op's agent who while trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter allows her to go to Paris for some fun and relaxation away from home. But as soon as they get there she is kidnapped by a group of men who are involved in human trafficking. Now Brian has less than 48 hours to find her or she's gone forever. Taken is one of the most well made movies to come out this year, it's an amazing thrill ride that you cant miss. I very highly recommend this movie. Expand
  46. JakeK.
    Jan 30, 2009
    Attention 24 Fans: SEE THIS MOVIE.
  47. IainF
    Jan 30, 2009
    Are these "critics" out of their minds? I'm not really in the mood of writing a review after metacritic turned down my last review saying the film wasn't out yet when it had already been out in the UK, so I'm not going into detail, but Taken was just as good as, if not better, than any of the Bourne films. Neeson was absolutely awesome as always, and it provided some of the Are these "critics" out of their minds? I'm not really in the mood of writing a review after metacritic turned down my last review saying the film wasn't out yet when it had already been out in the UK, so I'm not going into detail, but Taken was just as good as, if not better, than any of the Bourne films. Neeson was absolutely awesome as always, and it provided some of the best action (non-stop) of 2008. Brilliantly shot, and the story actually stayed quite unteresting, but the film stayed true to it's roots, a hard as nails action flick in which Liam Neeson tares apart anything with legs. I LOVED this film, please watch it. Unless you're a stuck up snob who tries to pride himself among watching independent films and only agreeing with metacritic's review scores, and not taking the time to sit back, relax, and enjoy a film, then watch this and you wont regret doing so. Expand
  48. CAEnt
    Jan 30, 2009
    Solid action all the way through. Neeson does a great job in this film.
  49. JonB.
    Feb 11, 2009
    I don't see why the critics are hating on the movie so much. It is an action flick, but without a lot of the ridiculous action scenes like you would see in a Bond movie. I thought Neeson's character was similar to a Jason Bourne in his 40s with a kidnapped teenage daughter. I would recommend it for anyone who is a fan of the Bourne series.
  50. JackP.
    Feb 1, 2009
    The movie starts out slow, but once Liam Neeson starts his hunt, it never slows down, and Liam Neeson, along with the rest of the cast is excellent.
  51. JakeM.
    Feb 17, 2009
    The critics, once again, prove they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. If you saw the ads for Taken, thought it was going to be nothing but an action movie, then you will not be disappointed. However, if you take a second to examine the plot, you realize that it is inherently good and isn't as impossible as some plot elements in Bourne or Bond. Neeson plays the The critics, once again, prove they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. If you saw the ads for Taken, thought it was going to be nothing but an action movie, then you will not be disappointed. However, if you take a second to examine the plot, you realize that it is inherently good and isn't as impossible as some plot elements in Bourne or Bond. Neeson plays the part wonderfully, and when he actually takes the time in between car chases, torture sequences, and firefights to display his character's personality, he goes all out. I recommend this movie to anyone and everyone. Not nearly as hyped as Bourne or Bond, Taken will have you leave the theater forcibly, because you'll want to see it again and again. Expand
  52. MartinS.
    Feb 2, 2009
    A good action film, worth the watch. Liam's Neeson puts in a decent performance throughout but I was let down by the weak ending.
  53. TomS
    Feb 23, 2009
    Great movie. Thrilling throughout the movie, keeps you on the edge of your seat. Not for one second will you get up after he begins looking for his daughter.
  54. CaptainS
    Feb 3, 2009
    The movie has about 10 minutes of "drag time" at the beginning and the acting of the girl that plays the kidnapped daughter (especially when her father rescues her) has a lot to be desired, but this movie kicks serious bootie and is non-stop. This needs to be a TV series. Neeson is great as usual!
  55. DaveF
    Feb 3, 2009
    The critics are being way too critical. I thought it was a great movie and a pleasure to watch. The acting was great, storyline was exciting and pretty original. Neeson could easily be bond instead of Daniel Craig.
  56. LukeTheDuke
    Feb 5, 2009
    Really a 9.5, but give it the extra 1/2 point for the pure fun of watching this guy work. Sure, it has its weaknesses: Famke plays an unattractive gold-digging, irrational shrew; Neeson is not aging well; Maggie Grace is unspectacular; but the bad guys are all well-cast and it is delightful to watch Neeson work is way through one scumbag after another. What fun to watch him take on all Really a 9.5, but give it the extra 1/2 point for the pure fun of watching this guy work. Sure, it has its weaknesses: Famke plays an unattractive gold-digging, irrational shrew; Neeson is not aging well; Maggie Grace is unspectacular; but the bad guys are all well-cast and it is delightful to watch Neeson work is way through one scumbag after another. What fun to watch him take on all the Eastern European mob trash, and the misogynists on the vulgar sheik's payroll. Do shiksas and other innocent young ladies really get collected and turned out by thugs?? Probably. Do construction sites really have brothel trailers supplied by the underworld in cahoots with crooked cops?? Who knows, maybe so. Can one man turn that slave trade upside down?? Probably not. But TAKEN is clear about who the good and innocent folks are, and who the evil exploiters are, and allows the hero to clean up the entire underbelly of Paris in the process. Other than a few problems with plot, weak dialog, and poor casting, TAKEN is a fun ride. Any reviewers who have a problem with this film are not worthy of being heard, they are from some implausible PC planet. Expand
  57. Dan
    Feb 6, 2009
    There's been so many TERRIBLE action movies released in the last year (Eagle Eye, Bangkok Dangerous, etc.). Finally there's one worth seeing. Took a simple formula, and executed it to near perfection. I've seen it 3 times already, and am willing to watch it again.
  58. JoeG
    Feb 6, 2009
    I can sum this movie up in one word: BAMFtastic. Neeson even had a BAMF card near the end of the movie. So much action and stuff... Oh, it was good.
  59. Jakes
    Feb 7, 2009
    Best movie I've seen in a long time. The critics don't have very good taste to be giving a movie like this bad ratings.
  60. PeterP
    Feb 7, 2009
    Exciting fast paced movie. The critics clearly panned it because they didn't approve of the politically incorrect content. Thankfully, the users are more authentic observers.
  61. GreenStreet
    Feb 7, 2009
    This is one of those rare instances where the critics got it all wrong. The users here nailed it - this is one of the best action movies of the year. At the screening we saw, the audience clapped at then end - how often does that happen? The critics blew it. Taken is non stop action after the sappy first 10 min (only reason for the 9 score). Better than the 2nd Bond and as good as the This is one of those rare instances where the critics got it all wrong. The users here nailed it - this is one of the best action movies of the year. At the screening we saw, the audience clapped at then end - how often does that happen? The critics blew it. Taken is non stop action after the sappy first 10 min (only reason for the 9 score). Better than the 2nd Bond and as good as the Bourne movies. Expand
  62. FomRat
    Feb 7, 2009
    It's all they said and more. Liam Neeson is amazing -- is there anything he can't do?
  63. ShawnB.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Thought it was very fun, very interesting for an action movie. I would recommend it to those who like the Bourne movies to be sure.
  64. bfe
    Feb 8, 2009
    A 50? Come on. This was an entertaining movie. Sure it's not perfect, but it's good. The action sequences were better than what we've got from the last Bourne/Bond films--simpler, easier to follow, not excessively cutting between cameras. While it eventually winds up with the inevitable happy/corny ending, the portions dealing with the drug addicited sex slaves were utterly A 50? Come on. This was an entertaining movie. Sure it's not perfect, but it's good. The action sequences were better than what we've got from the last Bourne/Bond films--simpler, easier to follow, not excessively cutting between cameras. While it eventually winds up with the inevitable happy/corny ending, the portions dealing with the drug addicited sex slaves were utterly repulsive and really set the tone. It didn't drag things out, it didn't overdo it with excessive dialog, and it wasn't perfect, but it wasn't bad either. Expand
  65. AdamA
    Feb 9, 2009
    I don't know how this film got such a low score amongst critics - it's very enjoyable! Great action, a passable script and some nice set pieces (apart from the green screen in the driving sequences - it was terrible!) made this as fun as Bourne for me.
  66. DaleS
    Mar 17, 2009
    Taken is a realistic thriller, with plenty of chills and turns it glides far smoother than the media proclaimed - easily on par with Casino Royale! dont miss out sometimes the "professionals" are wrong go see it I can guarantee most will be plenty pleased its a fun thrill ride don't be fooled by the media!
  67. BDrew
    Mar 3, 2009
    I read the critics' reviews for Taken before heading to the theater, and they almost dissuaded me. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Sure, it lacked the psychological pins and needles that every movie these days must walk upon before being branded as "watchable", but I liked that. It was elegantly simple. It didn't try to be too complicated.
    Generally speaking, movies
    Generally speaking, movies of that nature really are a bore, but Taken pulled it off very well. It wasn't a plot involving Russian conspiracy, or aliens, or betrayal by the American government. It was about a retired CIA field agent who, with all of his skills, can't seem to manage a successful life. But he puts those skills to use to get his daughter back, simply because he's a dedicated father. That's it. Why do movies have to be taken so seriously these days?
    See Taken if you like Liam Neeson, and you enjoy just having a good time watching a movie. Avoid it if you prefer to have to unravel a large puzzle to get to your coq au vin.
  68. KevinM
    Mar 7, 2009
    I honestly don't know why this movie got low blows from crtics and users alike. This movie was fun to watch. Sure it's similar to a lot of thriller, suspense movies (Bourne series comes to mind), but it's a rewatchable nonetheless.
  69. jackd
    Apr 25, 2009
    Okay. I'm usually a very harsh critic and even wasted 2 years studying media at college. I'd give this film 10. It's amazing. I don't understand why some people don't think it's that good... I guess they weren't in the right mood. I watched this movie, not reading up about it or anything. I didn't know what to expect and I was totally blown away. Okay. I'm usually a very harsh critic and even wasted 2 years studying media at college. I'd give this film 10. It's amazing. I don't understand why some people don't think it's that good... I guess they weren't in the right mood. I watched this movie, not reading up about it or anything. I didn't know what to expect and I was totally blown away. Great to see such a good movie that didn't come from Hollywood too! Expand
  70. JaredB
    May 12, 2009
    This movie was incredible. For almost the whole movie, I was on the edge of my seat, dangerously close to falling off. This movie contained four things I haven't seen in a while, but was very glad they showed up here: Liam Neeson kicking serious butt, truly despicable bad guys, some great action scenes, and a plot I could actually follow. My advice: Don't miss this absolutely This movie was incredible. For almost the whole movie, I was on the edge of my seat, dangerously close to falling off. This movie contained four things I haven't seen in a while, but was very glad they showed up here: Liam Neeson kicking serious butt, truly despicable bad guys, some great action scenes, and a plot I could actually follow. My advice: Don't miss this absolutely AWESOME movie. Expand
  71. GeorgeM
    May 15, 2009
    I've always been a fan of Liam Neeson so upon seeing the previews for this...it quickly became something on my "to watch" list...sadly I never got around to seeing it in theaters, but watching it at home on Blu-Ray was a treat. First of all...this film embodies what a "action film" is all about, which is a short run-time, proper "not too much not too little" introduction of the I've always been a fan of Liam Neeson so upon seeing the previews for this...it quickly became something on my "to watch" list...sadly I never got around to seeing it in theaters, but watching it at home on Blu-Ray was a treat. First of all...this film embodies what a "action film" is all about, which is a short run-time, proper "not too much not too little" introduction of the characters, and bone crunching action...and this film delivers JUST that. Liam Neeson's plays a retired government agent, whose skills involve espionage and (apparently) combat of all types...his daughter, who needs to take a chill pill, wants to take a trip to France with a friend and at her father disapproval as he worries she isn't ready to "on her own" anywhere, including Europe...he bends and lets her go at the constant nagging of his ex-wife only to have the worst happen, she gets kidnapped and now he makes it his personal mission to get her back, no matter what the cost. Neeson's character is intelligent, lethal, and most of all determined...and that determination comes from his obvious, heart-felt love for his daughter...he adores her so much that killing, torture, and potentially putting the innocent at risk are mere child's play to him...he just wants her back and will plow through anyone standing in the way. The fighting/ action in this film is brutal...bones break, faces get beat in, and bad guys get diced up...and thats just the hand-to-hand combat...the gunplay is just as deadly and unforgiving and Neeson's character is more than capable of handing this out like candy. There is fighting, gunplay, foot chases, and car chases...there is use of gadgetry, interrogation, and other things spy-related and they even through in some drama for good measure...all of this rolled up into a film JUST above the 90min. mark...impressive, and HIGHLY entertaining. This film comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...its easily one of the more entertaining, less bloated action films ive seen in some time. Expand
  72. halb
    May 15, 2009
    Preposterous, but entertaining. Neeson is excellent in the lead role. This movie will appeal primarily to young women with 'daddy issues', I think!
  73. JackF
    Jun 18, 2009
    Starts a little slow, but a very fun action movie in all. Fast paste! Liam Neeson plays a great angry father. The torture and phone call scenes gave me goosebumps!
  74. ClayT
    Jun 23, 2009
    Sure it's formulaic and farfetched, but it's so much fun who really gives a damn.
  75. JohnH.
    Jun 24, 2009
    Fantastic plot, action, acting, etc. This movie is fantastic. Neeson has always been a great actor. Also, see The Chindler's List. See this movie.
  76. FarK
    Jun 6, 2009
    I thought it was great kept me at the edge of my seat i was really into the story, just overall one the best movies i have seen this month. It was very realistic at times and very unrealistic at others, that's the only weak point i saw.
  77. SummerT.
    Jun 8, 2009
    I thought this movie was full of suspense and drama. Was on the edge of the couch the entire movie. Plus, some great torture scenes!
  78. Anon
    Jul 10, 2009
    Movie is great! Story line is easy to follow, lots of action, great acting and dialogue. The people who don't like this movie are the one's who can't follow the story or doesn't like it because its not realistic. Not ALL movies have to be realistic. Otherwise we'd have some boring movies. anyway, I would suggest this movie to anyone who likes action/thriller movies.
  79. RobertB.
    Jul 26, 2009
    I am disappointed that the "esteemed film critics" could only generate a 50% overall average score having reviewed this film. Frankly this film appealed to me on many levels. The action was superb. The acting was topnotch. Liam Neeson made me believe the sense of urgency any father would feel knowing his daughter was kidnapped.The white slave market is an international concern and quidos I am disappointed that the "esteemed film critics" could only generate a 50% overall average score having reviewed this film. Frankly this film appealed to me on many levels. The action was superb. The acting was topnotch. Liam Neeson made me believe the sense of urgency any father would feel knowing his daughter was kidnapped.The white slave market is an international concern and quidos to all the actors and director Pierre Morel for revealing just how dangerous a place the world is for young women. One of the top 5 films in my video library along with Saving Private Ryan and Gladiators. Expand
  80. JS
    Sep 8, 2009
    Taken is kind of a teen slasher flick, mixed with a James Bond spy movie, and a Morgan Freeman suspense thriller. It starts us out being introduced to his family; his loud mouth, unthankful ex-wife and chipper young daughter, both of whom he can never seem to get close to or please. His desire to win their affections causes the former black ops spy to allow his daughter to go alone to Taken is kind of a teen slasher flick, mixed with a James Bond spy movie, and a Morgan Freeman suspense thriller. It starts us out being introduced to his family; his loud mouth, unthankful ex-wife and chipper young daughter, both of whom he can never seem to get close to or please. His desire to win their affections causes the former black ops spy to allow his daughter to go alone to Europe where she happens to fall into the trap of an Albanian sex trafficing ring. Its all pretty good at this point, the acting is very good and dialogue; very realistic, if not mundane. But then when he starts investigating her kidnapping, things just get out of control. Some of the action scenes are both very unrealistic, and go on way too long. The main character often aggravates whole armies after himself, stands infront of them guns blaring, and never gets shot. The chase scenes are terribly illogical, every other scene is a jump cut. One particular chase scene is simply an Audi commercial. A whole 5 minutes of watching a new Audi drive, with dramatic camera angels and lighting only otherwise found in a car commercial. The main character starts out as a knight in shining armor, talks about how he hates killing. After awhile the line become blurred; he is vindictive, spiteful, merciless. Harming innocent people. You hardly even realise the point where he turns and starts abusing his abilities. Find yourself rooting for him as he beats people senseless. "Taken" is a bit of wishful thinking in my opinion. What if all those girls who were kidnapped, forced into sex slavery, had fathers that could single handedly dismantle a criminal organization? What if I could show my family I'm really worth something? What if I could put an end to the world's injustice, where the law would have stopped out of selfishness? Expand
  81. TonyC
    Feb 17, 2010
    Taken is "slow" at the beginning FOR A REASON. It must make you CARE about the man's daughter and the relationship with the father. Otherwise you won't be invested in the outcome. How can these critics not realize this? Taken is NOT about a former CIA agent rescuing his daughter. That's the location. It's really about an estranged parent and the lost love of a child Taken is "slow" at the beginning FOR A REASON. It must make you CARE about the man's daughter and the relationship with the father. Otherwise you won't be invested in the outcome. How can these critics not realize this? Taken is NOT about a former CIA agent rescuing his daughter. That's the location. It's really about an estranged parent and the lost love of a child and not giving up no matter how hard it is to repair that. Saving your bond with your child is tough but worth it. C'mon movie critics should know that! Expand
  82. GarrettS.
    Oct 13, 2009
    For everybody out there reading this, Taken deserves MUCH better than a 50%. While at times, i will admit the story-line is a bit unbelievable, it is definitely not as bad as the movie critics are saying. The action is fast paced and intense, Liam Neeson playing superbly well as the loving father, that if need be, can become a complete bad ass ready to crack some heads. The story is not For everybody out there reading this, Taken deserves MUCH better than a 50%. While at times, i will admit the story-line is a bit unbelievable, it is definitely not as bad as the movie critics are saying. The action is fast paced and intense, Liam Neeson playing superbly well as the loving father, that if need be, can become a complete bad ass ready to crack some heads. The story is not terrible either. Unbelievable at times? Maybe. But good none the less. I definitely recommend this movie to any Liam Neeson fans, or anyone who likes action movies. Expand
  83. kellyy.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Great movie!!! We were on the edge of our seat the whole time!!!
  84. RayG.
    Jan 31, 2009
    You get what you expect. Liam is an awesome action hero. I don't expect high review scores by the newspapers but people will like it.
  85. Johnb
    Jan 31, 2009
    It is absolutely, positively absurd that critics are not giving Taken much better reviews. (48). It a really good story, well acted and directed and the viewer cares about the characters-which is rare in a film. Dark Knight an 82, Gran Torino a 72 and Taken a 48? I don't think so.
  86. keithw
    Jan 31, 2009
    Could only have been better if instead of Albanian bad guys it was Wall Street Bankers! Gets your mind off everything!!!
  87. GHaction
    Jan 31, 2009
    Very good movie. The movie was a very entertaining action film mostly from start to finish. Despite the PG-13 rating, the movie has almost anything an audience could want from an action film... Guns, car-chases, fight scenes, stunts etc. Also it is refreshing to have some inadvertent humor and laughs to this moderate length film . Something nice about the film is its ability to deliver Very good movie. The movie was a very entertaining action film mostly from start to finish. Despite the PG-13 rating, the movie has almost anything an audience could want from an action film... Guns, car-chases, fight scenes, stunts etc. Also it is refreshing to have some inadvertent humor and laughs to this moderate length film . Something nice about the film is its ability to deliver high quality action while not seeming too "barbaric" and over the top. The movie is simple yet smart and goes through an interesting yet somehow predictable plot. The film somehow reminds me of the Bourne Identity series due to the fact that most of the scenes are shot in a foreign country which in this case would be Paris. Seriously, you can think of this movie as a James Bond film after he retires, settles down, has a family and then the daughter gets kidnapped and all &!^#** breaks loose. 85/100 rating. WATCH IT! Expand
  88. WilliamJ.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Great movie although a little too short, leaving one longing for more.
  89. VanB.
    Feb 13, 2009
    Liam Neeson and
  90. HyperS
    Feb 14, 2009
    Reviews by critics originally scared me off, but the positive user reviews sent me to the movies. I was pleasantly surprised at the result as it wasn't as far fetched a plot line as some made it out to be. I also found it to be a well paced movie. Will it win an Oscar? No, but it wasn't meant to. It was created to entertain and I was entertained. Only weird thing about my Reviews by critics originally scared me off, but the positive user reviews sent me to the movies. I was pleasantly surprised at the result as it wasn't as far fetched a plot line as some made it out to be. I also found it to be a well paced movie. Will it win an Oscar? No, but it wasn't meant to. It was created to entertain and I was entertained. Only weird thing about my experience was the audience clapping after the movie finished. Why do people do that at the movie theater? Who are they applauding? Expand
  91. TravisB
    Feb 15, 2009
    Incredible movie. It had me on the edge of my seat almost the entire time. The critics are fucking morons to give it such a rating.
  92. ClaudioC
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fantastic movie. I will start reading more of the users review and much less the of the critics review. I was not expecting much as the critics score 50. But the movie was quite a suspense and I shook from the beginning to the end. The actors were convincing in their role with the only exception of the daughter. Liam Neeson is superb. hopping theaked qued on my seat from the beginning to Fantastic movie. I will start reading more of the users review and much less the of the critics review. I was not expecting much as the critics score 50. But the movie was quite a suspense and I shook from the beginning to the end. The actors were convincing in their role with the only exception of the daughter. Liam Neeson is superb. hopping theaked qued on my seat from the beginning to the end. comments. Expand
  93. George
    Mar 13, 2009
    This is a VERY good action movie. If you like James bond this might even be better. Very fast paced and action packed movie. Kept me in suspense the whole movie.
  94. KirillK
    Mar 16, 2009
    Sadly underrated, since people can be inadequately consumed by the media, this may not get the attention it deserves - either or, I enjoyed it action was fantastic! very fun thriller dont miss out on taken the most underrated film of 2009!
  95. RachelS
    Apr 25, 2009
    A movie all girls and even guys should see. It shows the dangers of traveling out of the country and frankly anywhere.
  96. SamM
    May 29, 2009
    great acting, and nice flow to the whole of the film. one of the best of recent times. if feel sorry for anyone that can not fully appreciate this film. comparing this to the likes of d b13 and transporter is a sin.
  97. ChristopherP.
    Jun 26, 2009
    Feel good movie of the year. You get to watch some guy who's obviously kicked more than his share of ass do what he does best for the length of the movie. Everyone who gets hurt or killed is at least severely harmed by him. I couldn't stop grinning the whole way through, especially when he gave the guy who was chasing him the finger as he triumphantly drove away.
  98. FirstianA
    Sep 13, 2009
    Very good plot, good paced, make me think what will be happen in the next minute. Good combination of action scene and drama. I didn't realize I had been sitting for 94 minutes when the movie is over. See this movie, You will like it.
  99. ThomasF
    Dec 14, 2009
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. Constant thrill and excitement kept me seated for the entire movie. Didn't even want to get up to get popcorn.
  100. Mar 14, 2011
    a simple plot guys daughter gets get kid napped and he goes to save her . the plot may be simple but the action , acting the suspense is very well done and makes for a exciting movie .

1. Might do good business at home and abroad among audiences unconcerned with the finer points of characterization or psychological insight.
    You do wonder how this commanding actor (Neeson)--who carries so much more conviction than the plot--felt about delivering the line "I'll tear down the Eiffel Tower if I have to."
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Neeson growls his way through the functional dialogue as an unstoppable killing machine in impressive, cold-eyed style.