7.3

1. TonyC
    Feb 17, 2010
    Taken is "slow" at the beginning FOR A REASON. It must make you CARE about the man's daughter and the relationship with the father. Otherwise you won't be invested in the outcome. How can these critics not realize this? Taken is NOT about a former CIA agent rescuing his daughter. That's the location. It's really about an estranged parent and the lost love of a child Taken is "slow" at the beginning FOR A REASON. It must make you CARE about the man's daughter and the relationship with the father. Otherwise you won't be invested in the outcome. How can these critics not realize this? Taken is NOT about a former CIA agent rescuing his daughter. That's the location. It's really about an estranged parent and the lost love of a child and not giving up no matter how hard it is to repair that. Saving your bond with your child is tough but worth it. C'mon movie critics should know that! Expand
  2. Feb 16, 2011
    Surprisingly well done, and very intense. Liam Neesen does and excellent job playing the role of the action hero. The James Bond franchise should look at this movie and take some pointers.
  3. IainF
    Jan 30, 2009
    Are these "critics" out of their minds? I'm not really in the mood of writing a review after metacritic turned down my last review saying the film wasn't out yet when it had already been out in the UK, so I'm not going into detail, but Taken was just as good as, if not better, than any of the Bourne films. Neeson was absolutely awesome as always, and it provided some of the Are these "critics" out of their minds? I'm not really in the mood of writing a review after metacritic turned down my last review saying the film wasn't out yet when it had already been out in the UK, so I'm not going into detail, but Taken was just as good as, if not better, than any of the Bourne films. Neeson was absolutely awesome as always, and it provided some of the best action (non-stop) of 2008. Brilliantly shot, and the story actually stayed quite unteresting, but the film stayed true to it's roots, a hard as nails action flick in which Liam Neeson tares apart anything with legs. I LOVED this film, please watch it. Unless you're a stuck up snob who tries to pride himself among watching independent films and only agreeing with metacritic's review scores, and not taking the time to sit back, relax, and enjoy a film, then watch this and you wont regret doing so. Expand
  4. RobertT.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Screw the critics - I loved it. Get's into the story quick and doesn't let up. Give me this over and over rated James Bond movie any day.
  5. TomB.
    Jan 30, 2009
    Great action - not for the bleeding hearts who mostly review movies.
  6. PaulS
    Jan 31, 2009
    Fun flick. Just what you would expect. 1 and 1/2 hours of *ss-kicking.
  7. Sep 22, 2010
    Liam Neeson displayed a very deep, very dangerous man in this intense thriller directed by Pierre Morel (From Paris With Love, District B13). The story takes you in from the first scene. Hence the title: Taken. Liam Neeson plays Bryan Mills, a former spy with very deadly, very stealth, and very deadly skills that make him a straight up nightmare to people involved in dirt, scum, kidnappingLiam Neeson displayed a very deep, very dangerous man in this intense thriller directed by Pierre Morel (From Paris With Love, District B13). The story takes you in from the first scene. Hence the title: Taken. Liam Neeson plays Bryan Mills, a former spy with very deadly, very stealth, and very deadly skills that make him a straight up nightmare to people involved in dirt, scum, kidnapping rings, drugs etc. When his daughter and her best friend take a trip to Paris to follow rock group U2 on their Europe tour, things go terribly wrong and the two young girls are kidnapped and taken into a seedy underworld of prostitution and drugs. Mills knew that it was a bad idea the whole time, but his ex-wife played by Famke Janssen encourages the trip to let her daughter be free and see the world. Neeson engages in a personal mission to get his daughter back, a process that he is willing to stop at nothing for.
    -Taken was directed really well and has some pretty good acting. The super-glue of the film was in fact the tense story. Overall 'Taken' was a very original and interesting story, and it ultimately proves that you do not want to **** around with Liam Neeson, especially if it involves his daughter! Very good movie.
  8. Jan 24, 2013
    Could have been a lot better. The first half is really engaging but the movie loses steam going into the second half. The ending could have been more rewarding, too.
  9. Dustin
    Feb 2, 2009
    Don't believe these morons (critics), Taken is an overall great movie. The pacing is perfect, with never a dull moment or long, drawn out dialogue scene. Neeson is entirely believable, especially if you are familiar with the problems of human trafficking. Can't wait to get this on Blu-ray.
  10. RobC
    Feb 2, 2009
    The problem is people are comparing this to other revenge movies. When simply this movie is all about an endless sacrifice and the power and emotion behind this makes you realise that family is the most important thing of all. I related to this movie so much as I have a daughter and felt the real emotion. Amazingly acted and one of the best character relationships I've seen in a movie.
  11. JeremyB.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Very good movie. Worth the money. It has a very good story line and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The movie starts off great and continually moves up the ladder.
  12. DrewR
    Jan 31, 2009
    I highly recomend this movie, especialy if you were disipointed by the last James Bond film. I find Neeson's character more comelling than Bond because he's not in it for the beautiful women, he's in it to save his family.
  13. CAEnt
    Jan 30, 2009
    Solid action all the way through. Neeson does a great job in this film.
  14. MartinS.
    Feb 2, 2009
    A good action film, worth the watch. Liam's Neeson puts in a decent performance throughout but I was let down by the weak ending.
  15. BDrew
    Mar 3, 2009
    I read the critics' reviews for Taken before heading to the theater, and they almost dissuaded me. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Sure, it lacked the psychological pins and needles that every movie these days must walk upon before being branded as "watchable", but I liked that. It was elegantly simple. It didn't try to be too complicated.
    Generally speaking, movies
    Generally speaking, movies of that nature really are a bore, but Taken pulled it off very well. It wasn't a plot involving Russian conspiracy, or aliens, or betrayal by the American government. It was about a retired CIA field agent who, with all of his skills, can't seem to manage a successful life. But he puts those skills to use to get his daughter back, simply because he's a dedicated father. That's it. Why do movies have to be taken so seriously these days?
    See Taken if you like Liam Neeson, and you enjoy just having a good time watching a movie. Avoid it if you prefer to have to unravel a large puzzle to get to your coq au vin.
  16. RayG.
    Jan 31, 2009
    You get what you expect. Liam is an awesome action hero. I don't expect high review scores by the newspapers but people will like it.
  17. Johnb
    Jan 31, 2009
    It is absolutely, positively absurd that critics are not giving Taken much better reviews. (48). It a really good story, well acted and directed and the viewer cares about the characters-which is rare in a film. Dark Knight an 82, Gran Torino a 72 and Taken a 48? I don't think so.
  18. keithw
    Jan 31, 2009
    Could only have been better if instead of Albanian bad guys it was Wall Street Bankers! Gets your mind off everything!!!
  19. WilliamJ.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Great movie although a little too short, leaving one longing for more.
  20. ClaudioC
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fantastic movie. I will start reading more of the users review and much less the of the critics review. I was not expecting much as the critics score 50. But the movie was quite a suspense and I shook from the beginning to the end. The actors were convincing in their role with the only exception of the daughter. Liam Neeson is superb. hopping theaked qued on my seat from the beginning to Fantastic movie. I will start reading more of the users review and much less the of the critics review. I was not expecting much as the critics score 50. But the movie was quite a suspense and I shook from the beginning to the end. The actors were convincing in their role with the only exception of the daughter. Liam Neeson is superb. hopping theaked qued on my seat from the beginning to the end. comments. Expand
  21. BKM
    Jan 13, 2013
    Liam Neesen makes a convincing action hero with a "particular set of skills" in this wisp on an action film. Things move along at a rapid pace and the outcome is never in doubt which makes for a tidy movie going experience. Still, a little bit of complexity and a touch of emotional depth would have helped to keep this meager revenge fantasy from fading almost instantaneously from memory.
  22. Jun 27, 2012
    This movie is great. Liam Neeson did an awesome job, but there were a few cheesy parts / parts with poor dialogue that could have been done better. It was not a fault of the actors and I feel like they all played it out very well. Also this is partially due to it being a new series. They had to start somewhere, even if it meant a very simplistic concept / plot. If you're looking for someThis movie is great. Liam Neeson did an awesome job, but there were a few cheesy parts / parts with poor dialogue that could have been done better. It was not a fault of the actors and I feel like they all played it out very well. Also this is partially due to it being a new series. They had to start somewhere, even if it meant a very simplistic concept / plot. If you're looking for some interesting action scenes you will probably enjoy the movie overall. Sort of an underdog to the 007 movies, but I am excited for Taken 2 and I feel like if they play their cards right they can make Taken a bit more distinguished. Expand
  23. Mar 4, 2012
    First of all, the drawbacks. I know I hate to do this, but there was a few things wrong with the film. For one thing, it was slightly predictable because I didn't think this film would end with something bad happening. Everything's good until the ending, it just sort of fizzles out. Next, it would be pretty exaggerated that someone would be able to rescue someone from a human traffickingFirst of all, the drawbacks. I know I hate to do this, but there was a few things wrong with the film. For one thing, it was slightly predictable because I didn't think this film would end with something bad happening. Everything's good until the ending, it just sort of fizzles out. Next, it would be pretty exaggerated that someone would be able to rescue someone from a human trafficking group in only a few days. The pacing was a bit thin on the ground, and I also think the girls were portrayed as screechy, weepy, able to believe anything anyone says and blab everything to someone they've just met. Now that's over and done with, there's a few good points I'd like to say. It tackled a very important issue, and, even if it were over exaggerated, that does happen in the world, so it was quite brave to tackle this kind of issue. I think the violence was the least of my problems, and it was thrilling to see Liam Neeson do a bit of ****-kicking because he definitely looked suited for the role. I loved the relationship of his daughter and him, which made me hate the step-father and mother more (what an **** hole and a **** Generally it was a entertaining film, it just needs a bit more work to fix the predictable and confusingly paced storyline, although I think the critics have been a little harsh on what I call an OK film. Expand
  24. Oct 4, 2012
    Taken is Liam Neeson at his best. Bryan Mills is a retired CIA field operative and father to his teenage daughter Kim. As a birthday present to Kim one of her friends Amanda invites her to Paris to follow the band U2 on their tour. After lying to her father and going to Paris, Kim and Amanda are abducted. Bryan travels to Paris and uses his ex-CIA skills to track her and her kidnappersTaken is Liam Neeson at his best. Bryan Mills is a retired CIA field operative and father to his teenage daughter Kim. As a birthday present to Kim one of her friends Amanda invites her to Paris to follow the band U2 on their tour. After lying to her father and going to Paris, Kim and Amanda are abducted. Bryan travels to Paris and uses his ex-CIA skills to track her and her kidnappers down.
    A true thrill ride that never ceases to amaze with its constant edge of your seat action and a story that always keeps you guessing.
  25. Oct 15, 2012
    It's got all the attributes of a guilty pleasure - excitement, some undeniably enjoyable scenes and the absence of what it needs to be more memorable and more substantial.
  26. Nov 16, 2013
    Taken doesn't bring much to the table.
    The movie is paced well, the story if fine, and the action is lackluster. It mainly is plagued with an extremely simple plot combined with a very predictable outcome. An okay action flick.
  27. Sep 25, 2011
    The movie is surprisingly good if you look at decent standards. However if you think harder, you would suspect that the movie's a kinda bit... shallow?
  28. Michaeli
    Dec 3, 2009
    Thought it was excellent! Especially 'i will find you scene'. Maybe you got to be a parent to understand it!
  29. Domo
    Feb 16, 2009
    I like Liam Neeson. I like Luc Besson. I even like Pierre Morel and thought his District B13 was great fun. But this? No, not so much. "I'll tear down the Eiffel Tower if I have to" and such dialogue was worse than any fingernails on the chalkboard and the ignorant xenophobia that's framed as paternal love is so ridiculous it hurt. Had they played up the camp aspect of all this I like Liam Neeson. I like Luc Besson. I even like Pierre Morel and thought his District B13 was great fun. But this? No, not so much. "I'll tear down the Eiffel Tower if I have to" and such dialogue was worse than any fingernails on the chalkboard and the ignorant xenophobia that's framed as paternal love is so ridiculous it hurt. Had they played up the camp aspect of all this crap it might have been more enjoyable. As it is, it just plays to the myopic Middle American mindset that equates "foreign" with "evil", shows an older actor pathetically attempting Expand
  30. BobK.
    Feb 9, 2009
    "Taken" is an insult to the intelligence of the viewers and the star of the movie. The action sequences are just as unbelievable as the other events in the script.
  31. R.L.
    Jan 30, 2009
    Exceptional!! Taken is the most adrenaline pumping, action packed thriller I've seen in awhile. Taken stars Liam Neeson as Brian Mills an ex-black op's agent who while trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter allows her to go to Paris for some fun and relaxation away from home. But as soon as they get there she is kidnapped by a group of men who are involved in human Exceptional!! Taken is the most adrenaline pumping, action packed thriller I've seen in awhile. Taken stars Liam Neeson as Brian Mills an ex-black op's agent who while trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter allows her to go to Paris for some fun and relaxation away from home. But as soon as they get there she is kidnapped by a group of men who are involved in human trafficking. Now Brian has less than 48 hours to find her or she's gone forever. Taken is one of the most well made movies to come out this year, it's an amazing thrill ride that you cant miss. I very highly recommend this movie. Expand
  32. ChrisW
    Mar 17, 2009
    Utterly and completely awful. Taken trips along, fueled only by Liam Neeson's passable performance. To say Neeomson's performance is anything but aweful is to say a lot though seeing as the script was like that of a D grade straight to DVD thriller. More disturbing still was the definite xenophobic vibe that oozes from this peice of tripe. If the Bourne movies (which I actually Utterly and completely awful. Taken trips along, fueled only by Liam Neeson's passable performance. To say Neeomson's performance is anything but aweful is to say a lot though seeing as the script was like that of a D grade straight to DVD thriller. More disturbing still was the definite xenophobic vibe that oozes from this peice of tripe. If the Bourne movies (which I actually quite admire) and Hostel were to meet and produce an ungodly bastard child, he would resemble this. Expand
  33. Mr.Anon
    Mar 3, 2009
    The most xenophobic movie I've ever had the misfortune to see. There is one part where he shoots a person for being French, how does this get released?
  34. Nov 28, 2012
    Slick action, a straightforward story, and one of the most fearsome performances from Liam Neeson I have ever seen make "Taken" an awesome filmic experience.
  35. Nov 30, 2012
    "Taken" is a brutal, relentless, adrenaline-charged punch to the face. It manages, in 90 minutes, to kick more ass than your average 2-hour action thriller, and still it leaves plenty of exposition to develop true, believable characters and establish genuine relationships. Liam Neeson delivers a powerhouse performance as a retired government spy who goes after a prostitution ring"Taken" is a brutal, relentless, adrenaline-charged punch to the face. It manages, in 90 minutes, to kick more ass than your average 2-hour action thriller, and still it leaves plenty of exposition to develop true, believable characters and establish genuine relationships. Liam Neeson delivers a powerhouse performance as a retired government spy who goes after a prostitution ring responsible for abducting his daughter, and although he may not look like it at first, he could give James Bond a run for his money. The action in this movie is very fast-paced, and once things get going the movie goes a mile a minute - you cannot help but get swept up in it all. This is one satisfying vendetta of violence at its most polished and pristine. Expand
  36. markr
    May 12, 2009
    It's passable. You know the movies where 10 bad guys are shooting at the hero and nobody hits him? That's this one. Repeatedly. How bout the movie where everyone tries to kill the hero, then just when they got him, they tie him up, wait till he wakes up, says some fancy words, and then say "kill him!". Yep. Got that too. Watch one of the Bourne movies again instead. They're It's passable. You know the movies where 10 bad guys are shooting at the hero and nobody hits him? That's this one. Repeatedly. How bout the movie where everyone tries to kill the hero, then just when they got him, they tie him up, wait till he wakes up, says some fancy words, and then say "kill him!". Yep. Got that too. Watch one of the Bourne movies again instead. They're much better. Expand
  37. Oct 4, 2012
    Taken represents a wierd oblique encouragement for western authorities to 'take the gloves off' when dealing with middle eastern threats, represented here by Albanian slave traders with a crescent moon tattoos. The other enemies, of course are the corrupt, and decadent French, who for some sin or other are characterised as ammoral devils who would turn a blind eye on western girls beingTaken represents a wierd oblique encouragement for western authorities to 'take the gloves off' when dealing with middle eastern threats, represented here by Albanian slave traders with a crescent moon tattoos. The other enemies, of course are the corrupt, and decadent French, who for some sin or other are characterised as ammoral devils who would turn a blind eye on western girls being sold into sexual servitude for just a few Euros. Somewhat wierd for a movie that cites a Frenchman in its production. Sadly fact is usually more amazing than fantasy and this movie is no exception. Something based on the real plight of Eastern European women being sold into forced prostitution could have been far more compelling. This movie soon degenerates into a sadistic tirade of the hero beating up and killing dozens of run-of-the mill bad guys. The movie has no pauses, no moments of realisation, nothing interesting or scary. No good dialogue, nothing but the celebration of the killing prowess of a professional killer. Liam Neesen dials in a very unenthusiastic performance looking very much like an actor who lost his wife in a skiing accident, with no interest in the slightest in making a movie glorifying murder, going through the motions because he will get a paycheck so that he can go back and spend quality time trying to live as happily as he can in the shadow of his loss. As far as I can see the whole thing is some kind of propaganda effort trying to reinforce negative stereotypes. The action is the same crap you see in almost every American movie these days. Fight scenes where the hero is good at ramming random household objects up the noses and into the brains of certified 100% guaranteed 'bad guys' who deserved to die. The audience is thus invited to relish and glorify a whole bunch of romantically enhanced butchery, and feel great when the good duy inevitably walks into the sunset, without even bruised knuckles. Since practically everything made in America is made to exactly the same recipe, taken is your standard contemporary American garbage with a Frenchman embarrassing himself in the credits. I'm sure Albanian slave traders are very nasty indeed. A movie that dealt into the hows and whys of that would have been much better than this crap. Don't movie makers understand that incessant violence dilutes the dramatic power of violence. The fear of death is worse than death. There are a thousand creative cliches that advice film makers on what constitutes narrative power. All yellow and red reviews indicate signs of intelligence. Green constitute the mob. Fools all. Expand
  38. Mike
    Jun 8, 2009
    Laughable action sequences, laughable story. avoid at all costs!
  39. Jan 10, 2011
    It's a cross between Frantic and the Bourne movies, but by the Transporter Team.
    I suppose there's some appeal in seeing kidnapping scumbags get their come-uppence, but there's no real tension or intrigue. He goes to France, he follows the trail with improbable ease, he kills EVERYONE, often with just a quick flick of the wrist. He gets knocked on the head and captured once...3 minutes later he kills them all too.
    Entertaining enough guff, but it's nothing more than a very daft action movie with some nasty scenes and a reasonably respectable lead actor.
  40. ricosalsa
    Feb 1, 2009
    Influenced by the Bourne films, but unlike those, fails to make sense of the way a professional would handle himself in the given situation. Neesons character dives suicidally head-first into problems which would require thinking and calculation, and instant gratification follows. You would expect more from such quality actors and writers. (The personal issue at hand can't excuse the Influenced by the Bourne films, but unlike those, fails to make sense of the way a professional would handle himself in the given situation. Neesons character dives suicidally head-first into problems which would require thinking and calculation, and instant gratification follows. You would expect more from such quality actors and writers. (The personal issue at hand can't excuse the total lack of sensible behavior. If that were the case, the movie would negate itself). If you replace Neeson with Steven Seagal, it would accentuate what this movie really is: A mediocre action-flick. Expand
  41. YInksMerlyn
    Feb 4, 2009
    This movie is utter garbage, now i knw why d name "liam neeson" rang no bells..."Taken" definitli topped mi list of crappiest movies of 2008.i mean seriosly,i was nt d list bit thrilled...nd d 1 liners "this is nt a threat,wen i get u it will b very slow nd it will hurt".(wit unbelievable sarcasm)..oh no plzz,im so scared,im literally shaken in my boots....wat a joke.HORRIBLE ACTING,AvoidThis movie is utter garbage, now i knw why d name "liam neeson" rang no bells..."Taken" definitli topped mi list of crappiest movies of 2008.i mean seriosly,i was nt d list bit thrilled...nd d 1 liners "this is nt a threat,wen i get u it will b very slow nd it will hurt".(wit unbelievable sarcasm)..oh no plzz,im so scared,im literally shaken in my boots....wat a joke.HORRIBLE ACTING,Avoid dis movie Expand
  42. DQSlotkins
    Feb 1, 2009
    It's one of those. And a mediocre one at that. The genre wears thin. Maybe 2 or 3 surprises, but if that's all it has to offer beside Liam Neeson then it's not enough for me.
  43. RickyS.
    Feb 1, 2009
    This movie was amazing. Like most critics say, its a little slow at first, but once Neeson starts his hunt, it sky rockets.
  44. ChuckM
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have no idea why the (so-called) critics have panned this movie so much, it really isn't anywhere near as bad as they're making out. You've seen it all before in various other revenge movies, but it has enough new ideas to hold interest and enough of it's own style to keep things fresh. It's a slowish start but barely worth a mention as once the action starts I have no idea why the (so-called) critics have panned this movie so much, it really isn't anywhere near as bad as they're making out. You've seen it all before in various other revenge movies, but it has enough new ideas to hold interest and enough of it's own style to keep things fresh. It's a slowish start but barely worth a mention as once the action starts it's non-stop, but this is possibly also the films weakest point. Everything just seems to happen with little regard for pacing, plot direction or character building. Every move Liam Neeson takes seems to work out and give him yet another lead, you never get the feeling that the film will have anything other Hollywood ending. Along with a few cheesy moments and a bit of bad acting the main body of the film feels rushed. That said though, it's a good watch, with the girlfriend or a group of friends everyone will enjoy this. Neeson gets you behind him and you find yourself egging him on to add to the growing tally of corpses left in his wake. More deep than say Transporter, not by much though but it feels less aimed at teens. Definite one to watch. Expand
  45. PhilE.
    Feb 5, 2009
    A lot of action, but not much for excitement. Can't hold a candle to any of the "Bourne" movies, although it's shot in that style. Neeson is good, his character is invincible, and he tracks down the bad guys in unbelievable fashion. That is all to easy to be believed. A dismal movie, with plenty of action...
  46. JackP.
    Feb 1, 2009
    The movie starts out slow, but once Liam Neeson starts his hunt, it never slows down, and Liam Neeson, along with the rest of the cast is excellent.
  47. LukeTheDuke
    Feb 5, 2009
    Really a 9.5, but give it the extra 1/2 point for the pure fun of watching this guy work. Sure, it has its weaknesses: Famke plays an unattractive gold-digging, irrational shrew; Neeson is not aging well; Maggie Grace is unspectacular; but the bad guys are all well-cast and it is delightful to watch Neeson work is way through one scumbag after another. What fun to watch him take on all Really a 9.5, but give it the extra 1/2 point for the pure fun of watching this guy work. Sure, it has its weaknesses: Famke plays an unattractive gold-digging, irrational shrew; Neeson is not aging well; Maggie Grace is unspectacular; but the bad guys are all well-cast and it is delightful to watch Neeson work is way through one scumbag after another. What fun to watch him take on all the Eastern European mob trash, and the misogynists on the vulgar sheik's payroll. Do shiksas and other innocent young ladies really get collected and turned out by thugs?? Probably. Do construction sites really have brothel trailers supplied by the underworld in cahoots with crooked cops?? Who knows, maybe so. Can one man turn that slave trade upside down?? Probably not. But TAKEN is clear about who the good and innocent folks are, and who the evil exploiters are, and allows the hero to clean up the entire underbelly of Paris in the process. Other than a few problems with plot, weak dialog, and poor casting, TAKEN is a fun ride. Any reviewers who have a problem with this film are not worthy of being heard, they are from some implausible PC planet. Expand
  48. kgm.
    Jan 31, 2009
    The most shocking thing in this movie is how it
  49. ChadS.
    Jan 31, 2009
    On what was supposed to be a routine detail assignment, Bryan Mills(Liam Neeson), recently emasculated by a bout of birthday present one-upmanship, gets one ball back after he successfully defends a pop diva from her would-be assassin. He gets the other ball back when Kim(Maggie Grace) is kidnapped by a sex-trafficking ring, in which this former spy, to his good fortune, gets to reassert On what was supposed to be a routine detail assignment, Bryan Mills(Liam Neeson), recently emasculated by a bout of birthday present one-upmanship, gets one ball back after he successfully defends a pop diva from her would-be assassin. He gets the other ball back when Kim(Maggie Grace) is kidnapped by a sex-trafficking ring, in which this former spy, to his good fortune, gets to reassert himself as the alpha male in his daughter's eyes, should he afford her the opportunity to ride the horse that trumped the karaoke machine. Jokingly referred to as Rambo by a friend, the name not only suits his one-man army stronghold tactics, but the filmic context in which he does battle, as well. There's a war in France, a war against the sex industry, that surreptitously makes reference to the Indochina War, in which France and Vietnam are forever intertwined. As Ted Kotcheff's "First Blood" was a wish-fulfillment movie about saving POWs, "Taken" also serves the same function, since the filmmaker, like the men who helmed the Rambo franchise, puts things into order by means of reductionism. In stark contrast to "Taken", there is Lukas Moodyson's fatalistic worldview of the same topical issue, the sobering "Lilya 4-Ever", where a Polish girl gets sexually exploited with no hope for a familial savior to emancipate her. For all its slick pacing and snappy action; in other words, its entertainment value, there's a distinctly unpleasant air to this whole enterprise, since "Taken" seems to be predicated on the father getting his ego back, in deference to the pain and humiliation of indentured women. His daughter's kidnapping rejuvenates him; his sac is restored to full capacity. Bryan now seems ready to f*** the horse Kim's stepfather rode on. "Taken" is a revenge fantasy against ex-wives who remarry richer, more accomplished men. Kim's mom(read:"the bitch") is punished for letting their daughter go globe-trotting in Europe. Expand
  50. TylerM
    Feb 26, 2009
    "I'll tear down the Eifle Tower if I have to!" Not as thrilling as the commercial, but still enjoyable. Unintentionally funny, it's entertaining for a forgiving audience. http://www.criticalmass.fcpmainline.com
  51. Scott
    Mar 15, 2009
    There were about 3 good minutes in this otherwise awful, derivative movie. Wait until it hits cable.
  52. RayS
    Apr 18, 2009
    Taken produced by same French team that made the Transporter flicks, Clueless mother lets her daughter go on a trip to Europe with only another girl who just supposedly turned 18. They get kidnapped by an Albanian ring who specialize in white slavery, etc. Liam Neeson, the father, is an ex some kind of special op's for the government. In other words, he knows how to kick ass. He goes Taken produced by same French team that made the Transporter flicks, Clueless mother lets her daughter go on a trip to Europe with only another girl who just supposedly turned 18. They get kidnapped by an Albanian ring who specialize in white slavery, etc. Liam Neeson, the father, is an ex some kind of special op's for the government. In other words, he knows how to kick ass. He goes over to Paris and proceeds to become a one man Albanian but kicking crew. I believe he kills or maims half the Albanians in Paris before he gets his daughter back! If you have ever seen Mystery Science Theater, with the wise ass robot making fun of the proceedings , then that was I watching this flick. Neeson does a great acting job keeping a straight face throughout. Lots of silly action and over the top fighting and violence. Give it a 2 for the amusement factor. Expand
  53. JamesM
    May 11, 2009
    I thought this movie was pretty fun to watch. Neeson's character is very inspirational.
  54. xLAWx
    May 27, 2009
    Not a realistic movie, the old agent taking on the whole gang is impossible for me. A boring plot.
  55. Sep 6, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are looking for a Bourne rip-off with logic, you are in the wrong area. If you're look for a fun action-thriller, you are in the right place.If you even try to incorporate logic, you're gonna hate it. Because Neeson takes on 10 bad guys firing at him several times in the movie and he only gets hit once in hit abdomen. And it's predictable, but that doesn't take away from this fun exciting movie. This is Neeson's show. he is in every scene and he pulls it off perfectly. Maggie Grace plays her role great. Overall, if you like fun and suspenseful movies, you will like Taken Expand
  56. Aug 31, 2012
    I never saw this in theaters, or saw it when it first came out on DVD. My friend gave me a boot-leg of this, so I didn't have to spend I dime on it. I never bothered with it till I saw the trailer of a sequel to this movie in theaters, so I was thinking that I should just watch this movie and get it over with. I just watched it, and I am completely shocked about how well done this was.I never saw this in theaters, or saw it when it first came out on DVD. My friend gave me a boot-leg of this, so I didn't have to spend I dime on it. I never bothered with it till I saw the trailer of a sequel to this movie in theaters, so I was thinking that I should just watch this movie and get it over with. I just watched it, and I am completely shocked about how well done this was. Liam Neeson is one of my favorite badass actors ever since he was Ra's Al Ghul in "Batman Begins". All I need to say is that he is one of the smartest action heroes I've ever seen in any action movie. Here's what I mean, in many action movies, the hero always takes his time to kill the boss or a henchmen. They just waits till the last minute to kill them or just leave them alive. But in this movie, Liam Neeson doesn't take his time or leave the enemies alive, he kills them all immediately! Even the final boss was simple to finish off. When the boss is holding a knife on somebody you've been trying to rescue, just shoot him in the head. He's not gonna kill her after he's gonna be dead by a simple shot, and that's exactly what Liam Neeson did. Smartest action hero EVER. Not only was the hero great, but the action and chase scenes were unbelievable. It keeps getting better and more exciting, I've been jumping and cheering Liam to survive and quickly save his daughter. It was awesome, and unexpecting to see something like this in an action movie. This movie deserves more positive reviews from critics, because this isn't one of those simple cliched action films. This is something different and well done, and needs to be seen by every action fan. Expand
  57. Mar 8, 2011
    Taken is one of the greatest action movies I have ever seen, the plot will keep you hooked and on the edge of your seat, I wasn't disappointed with this movie and you wont be either.
  58. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie was actually better then I thought it would be. For the last year all I have heard is how great this movie was, but I could not see this actually being any good. I finally got a hold of a copy and sat down and watched it. First off the acting was all around great for an action flick. Typically action flicks have good leads and weak everything else. I didn't really see a horribleThis movie was actually better then I thought it would be. For the last year all I have heard is how great this movie was, but I could not see this actually being any good. I finally got a hold of a copy and sat down and watched it. First off the acting was all around great for an action flick. Typically action flicks have good leads and weak everything else. I didn't really see a horrible actor. Next the plot was good and kept me interested. The thing that bothered me was the bad guys fell victim to the typical action movie pit fall. They shot thousands of bullets and only his him once (at the end of the movie no less). Yet our hero typically hits whoever is being aimed at. I get he was a hard core special forces guy but for the love of god he doesn't have an invisible force field. I kinda gave the fact a pass because I really can't think of an action movie that doesn't have that issue. Over all the movie was fun and exciting, its a definite watch. Expand
  59. Feb 13, 2013
    This movie starts out very slowly and has such annoying female characters that it almost made me turn it off. However, once it got started it quite managed to get a hold of me and I enjoyed the over-the-top action scenes thoroughly. For some reason all the women are cast as ignorant and spoiled creatures and they remain so until the end where they go right back to doing what they didThis movie starts out very slowly and has such annoying female characters that it almost made me turn it off. However, once it got started it quite managed to get a hold of me and I enjoyed the over-the-top action scenes thoroughly. For some reason all the women are cast as ignorant and spoiled creatures and they remain so until the end where they go right back to doing what they did before, as if though being kidnapped and sold as a slave doesn't make you wonder if perhaps you need to rethink your lifestyle. Normally I don't really care about seeing women empowered but it wouldn't hurt if they made the female characters develop a bit throughout the movie. Then again, the movie was really mostly about the protagonist Bryan Mills (Liam Neelson) so everyone else was mostly filler and it shows. Glad I didn't turn it off, though. Looking forward to watching Taken 2. Expand
  60. Feb 6, 2012
    Some words to describe this movie: tenacious, no mercy, intense, action-packed, etc. This movie is different from the mainstream movie of today, which I liked. In most action movies the main character usually doesn't shoot everyone with no mercy, in most movie he tries to find the "nicest" way to get to the end, but not in this movie. Liam does everything in his power to save hisSome words to describe this movie: tenacious, no mercy, intense, action-packed, etc. This movie is different from the mainstream movie of today, which I liked. In most action movies the main character usually doesn't shoot everyone with no mercy, in most movie he tries to find the "nicest" way to get to the end, but not in this movie. Liam does everything in his power to save his daughter, he just walks in and starts shooting everybody, no stand offs where the characters talk to each other while they have guns pointing at each other heads in this movie. Expand
  61. Sep 26, 2012
    This movie was long and drawn out, Taken's plot used several cliches and had several awkward moments. Taken was painful to watch.The movie is boring and doesn't get engaging until the end.
  62. Aug 29, 2012
    'Taken' is a very basic action/thriller, centering on a man doing whatever it takes to get his kidnapped daughter back. The man is played by Liam Neeson, however, which means trouble for the guys that took his daughter. There is a lot of hand-to-hand combat in the film, and it's exhilarating to watch as Neeson takes out multiple people in a matter of seconds with quick shots and the feel'Taken' is a very basic action/thriller, centering on a man doing whatever it takes to get his kidnapped daughter back. The man is played by Liam Neeson, however, which means trouble for the guys that took his daughter. There is a lot of hand-to-hand combat in the film, and it's exhilarating to watch as Neeson takes out multiple people in a matter of seconds with quick shots and the feel of impact as people are punched and kicked. There really isn't much reason to see the film for other than Neeson's strong performance and the butt kicking action scenes. With that being said, the film is well made and entertaining throughout it's brisk 93 minute running time. Expand
  63. Nov 30, 2013
    I saw it last year and I still don't see the hype with this film. A father trying to find his daughter somehow turns into an action epic. Reallly???????????? Don't even get me started on 2
  64. May 20, 2013
    It's horrible, too unrealistic. Weak guys are always dumb, die stupid. Protagonist always wins the battle easily. I hate it.
  65. ElijahH.
    Jan 30, 2009
    10 minutes of set up for 80 minutes of intense, non-stop action. I saw this movie last year in Australia and loved every minute of it.
  66. SasoK
    Feb 4, 2009
    Best action thriller in 2008 by far.
  67. DavidH
    Feb 17, 2009
    It's always entertaining to watch scumbags have justice served on them in an abrupt fashion, rather than have them surf through a dysfunctional legal system. Liam Neeson is a good choice for this part and plays it well. Sadly, this movie starts out strong but dwindles to a shoddy plot finish. It's as though the writers had a great idea to start but ran out of time and scratched It's always entertaining to watch scumbags have justice served on them in an abrupt fashion, rather than have them surf through a dysfunctional legal system. Liam Neeson is a good choice for this part and plays it well. Sadly, this movie starts out strong but dwindles to a shoddy plot finish. It's as though the writers had a great idea to start but ran out of time and scratched out the ending in the wee hours of one morning on a napkin. The low point is when Neeson's somewhat estranged and clueless daughter, after watching her father risk life, limb and everything to get her back, basically just gives him a hug and then goes back to her even more clueless mother and stepfather. Expand
  68. kevinf
    Feb 21, 2009
    A hugely entertaining rollercoaster ride as Neeson cuts a swathe through the Albanian criminal diaspora on the hunt for his abducted daughter. Wildly un-PC but Bourne fans will love this one too.
  69. Spectrek
    Feb 2, 2009
    Very good story, great action, Liam Neeson did a very good job.
  70. someonewatching
    Feb 25, 2009
    Liam is a cheater he set it to god-mode , killed them all, and got his daughter back.. well just another crap and wasted time watching it.
  71. ArtG
    Feb 3, 2009
    Purely viseral. Belivable for the most part, no super human abilities. I do wish however hollywood would learn how actual gunfights occure rather than the taking turns shooting around corners at each other.
  72. larryk.
    Feb 6, 2009
    Saso, Dave, the Captain, Art, the Spectre, Martin, and Dustin have got it right. "Don't believe these morons (critics)"! Taken is not the kind of movie you over-analyze like critics are compelled to do. It's the kind of movie to just be enjoyed. It's good fiction and a very entertaining thriller. Liam Neeson makes a wonderful kick-ass daddy who gives the bad guys exactly Saso, Dave, the Captain, Art, the Spectre, Martin, and Dustin have got it right. "Don't believe these morons (critics)"! Taken is not the kind of movie you over-analyze like critics are compelled to do. It's the kind of movie to just be enjoyed. It's good fiction and a very entertaining thriller. Liam Neeson makes a wonderful kick-ass daddy who gives the bad guys exactly what they deserve and you enjoy every minute of it. Expand
  73. JodyS
    Feb 6, 2009
    Don't listen to these ridiculous low scores from the critics. The movie was very well shot and edited and is great for what it is... a non stop action movie. Neeson is great, the fight scenes are well done and the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat.
  74. TimT.
    Feb 6, 2009
    Pure adrenaline. Anyone who expected anything else thinks too much and will be disappointed. A fun getaway film.
  75. michaelv.
    Feb 7, 2009
    What do we need critics for ? They gave this movie 50 out of 100 and now the movie maybe wont come to Denmark. By accident i saw it at hotel Room in England and its one of the most exciting ive ever seen. So thumbs down to critics and thumbs up to movie and look at user average before my vote. 8,2 out of 10 ? Do we have a gap ? I believe so. Watch it.
  76. Anna
    Feb 9, 2009
    I thought this movie was excellent! I am still thinking about it and all the parts that really had me jump!!!
  77. StanM
    Mar 30, 2009
    Some would say taken is a ridiculous far fetched thriller, their very wrong compare it to say hitman or the transporter series, now those get far fetched this is more like the bourne series better realism in its action, and yes perhaps the villains arnt original but its really well done i wouldnt recommend it like i would with the bourne ultimatum, but its right a floor below that, if you Some would say taken is a ridiculous far fetched thriller, their very wrong compare it to say hitman or the transporter series, now those get far fetched this is more like the bourne series better realism in its action, and yes perhaps the villains arnt original but its really well done i wouldnt recommend it like i would with the bourne ultimatum, but its right a floor below that, if you like thrillers watch taken also nice acting well done! Expand
  78. MichaelS.
    Mar 4, 2009
    This movie was the right way to start of 2009- with a bang!
  79. DerekS
    May 10, 2009
    A very good action flick with a believable story and a great star in Neeson. Thought the movie was well paced to where when the action started, it was unexpected and thrilling. Yes there are some scenes that are over the top, but still passable because this is an action flick first and foremost. I did not feel a xenophobic vibe at all, other than you have to always be careful, even in the A very good action flick with a believable story and a great star in Neeson. Thought the movie was well paced to where when the action started, it was unexpected and thrilling. Yes there are some scenes that are over the top, but still passable because this is an action flick first and foremost. I did not feel a xenophobic vibe at all, other than you have to always be careful, even in the country you live in and to never trust strangers. Overall the movie did it's job, it was entertaining and gave my family room to discuss the whole drive home from the theater. Expand
  80. TonyB.
    Jul 27, 2009
    You won't be bored for a minute, but you won't believe a minute of it.
  81. averyc
    Nov 22, 2009
    This is an action film. This is a thrilling action film. Neeson is very good. This is not a great film. However, it's a great, great action film. It goes by in what seems like twenty minutes.
  82. SebH
    Oct 30, 2009
    I've always appreciated cringeworthy kitsch so long as it's self-consciously so. Taken is the kind of horribly over-acted, ridiculous, self-indulgent thriller that sort of defines cringeworthy kitsch, particularly Liam Neeson's frankly awful script and delivery thereof. We all know he's a talented actor, so why did he stoop to this low? Easy money? That said I love the I've always appreciated cringeworthy kitsch so long as it's self-consciously so. Taken is the kind of horribly over-acted, ridiculous, self-indulgent thriller that sort of defines cringeworthy kitsch, particularly Liam Neeson's frankly awful script and delivery thereof. We all know he's a talented actor, so why did he stoop to this low? Easy money? That said I love the insipidness of the plot, and the fact that it knows that it's awful. The dramatic tone change, however, makes me think that the overall mood of this one is more than a little confused - the impending doom hangs over the considerably lighter first half hour, but was it really necessary to beat the life out of it with the dispassionate performances? The characters are cartoony and unbelievable. As a b-movie, it suffices as a nice little kitschy distraction, but sometimes I wondered how serious it was really trying to be, and that's what stagnated it. Not a disaster, but pretty damn average and confused with lots of cliché heaped atop the lowest-common-denominator nature of its inception. Expand
  83. decrdeckard
    Jan 30, 2009
    What's wrong with the critics giving such scores for this? This movie was just what it tried to be, an action movie with a lead character being a real badass killing machine with the know how and moves. His girl gets taken away from him, he goes to get her back. Simple and nothing else needed, I felt entertained thro the whole movie. Also I miss these "feel good" action movies from What's wrong with the critics giving such scores for this? This movie was just what it tried to be, an action movie with a lead character being a real badass killing machine with the know how and moves. His girl gets taken away from him, he goes to get her back. Simple and nothing else needed, I felt entertained thro the whole movie. Also I miss these "feel good" action movies from time to time where the lead really kicks ass and gets the job done without too much hassle. I mean take Arnold's Commando for example, if you want to see paypack delivered with no questions asked, these are the movies you'd want to see. Bravo! Expand
  84. NathanielJ.
    Feb 1, 2009
    It was a good enjoyable movie that had great realistic action and suspense. Liam Neeson was great.
  85. JohnK.
    Feb 11, 2009
    I like to rate films on there content and knowing what I film I am going to see. This of course is an action film so I went in with no high expectations of plot but I found accebtable and could happen. But what made me so excited and loving every scene was the fast pace, you sit there and beg for the action scene and they do not disappoint. Only reason I did'nt give this film a ten I like to rate films on there content and knowing what I film I am going to see. This of course is an action film so I went in with no high expectations of plot but I found accebtable and could happen. But what made me so excited and loving every scene was the fast pace, you sit there and beg for the action scene and they do not disappoint. Only reason I did'nt give this film a ten is the ending and the sometimes corny dialogue between Liam and his daughter. Liam is a legend in this film and has got my full respect as an action hero! Excellent and fast paced film! Expand
  86. JackB
    Feb 10, 2009
    Great film, saw it months ago, what happened Meatcritic? Very late reviews. Fantastic action, as good as Bourne, far better than Bond.
  87. MattH.
    Feb 1, 2009
    Delivered in every respect.
  88. Vince
    Feb 19, 2009
    I thought this movie was fantastic. It didn't pretend to be something it wasn't, it didn't try to make a point... it was simply a flim about an incredible badass that goes on a f***** rampage to try and get his daughter back. Highly entertaining the whole way through, and that's what a movie should be.
  89. BobP
    Feb 20, 2009
    Good and fun flick. I didn't like some of the action, but the movie's quirkiness made up for it. Will watch again. The critics didn't like it because it portrayed Albanians badly? Well yeah, they were the bad guys -- some movies have bad guys you know. Because it protrayed foreign travel as dangerous? Yeah, this is not a foreign college road trip movie. It's an action Good and fun flick. I didn't like some of the action, but the movie's quirkiness made up for it. Will watch again. The critics didn't like it because it portrayed Albanians badly? Well yeah, they were the bad guys -- some movies have bad guys you know. Because it protrayed foreign travel as dangerous? Yeah, this is not a foreign college road trip movie. It's an action flick, not a insightful psychological drama. I don't know why they expect it to be something that it isn't. Expand
  90. JasonDeatherage
    Feb 23, 2009
    I thought that this was a great movie. I loved the action and the overall pacing of the film. It felt like an older version of Jason Bourne. Liam was a bada**.
  91. DrewF
    Feb 27, 2009
    Proof that critics really don't understand what the general populace are looking for in a film, during these down-economic times. "Taken" really seems to connect with father's, in particular. Great revenge flick. Possibly the best since the days of "Death Wish".....?
  92. BibliotechaS.
    Feb 5, 2009
    Best action movie of 2000s. Better than bond, better than stupid giggly camera boy hero Bourne. This is just a pissed off father taking his daughter back from illegal immigrants. Rocks! I love when he personally electrocutes criminals. Liam rocks! doesn't get much better than a pissed off seal. Focused. Driven. Screw the critics. This one's a keeper.
  93. AndyL
    Feb 7, 2009
    This is one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. Every once in a while you see a movie preview and know that the critics will hate it but you will love it. This was that movie. I just got home and I want to see it again already.
  94. rashads
    Feb 9, 2009
    This was an excellent movie. This proves that reviewers dont know what they are talking about. Once it picked you up it didnt let you down. Great story, action, and pacing. Loved how you could see Liam's desparation as the movie progressed. Movie reviewers suck so bad.
  95. JamesO.
    Mar 9, 2009
    This was a very good movie that everyone should go see and watch. I don't understand why critics rated it badly but then rated other junky films good.
  96. rapzeh
    Mar 9, 2009
    Very good movie, much better that I would of expected.
  97. MannyC
    Apr 5, 2009
    Action packed, fast paced film, kept me at the edge of my seat.
  98. JesseH
    May 23, 2009
    Once more I wonder what the critics were smoking when they rated this movie. This movie is great in every way, and had me immersed the whole way. Definitely worth anyone's time.
  99. MustafaA
    Jun 24, 2009
    Excellent movie..lots of action and good story.
  100. RussP
    Jun 24, 2009
    The chase is intelligent and intriguing. The action is gripping. The movie's fine script is well-performed by fine actors.

1. Reviewed by: Bernard Besserglik
    Might do good business at home and abroad among audiences unconcerned with the finer points of characterization or psychological insight.
    You do wonder how this commanding actor (Neeson)--who carries so much more conviction than the plot--felt about delivering the line "I'll tear down the Eiffel Tower if I have to."
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Neeson growls his way through the functional dialogue as an unstoppable killing machine in impressive, cold-eyed style.