6.2

1. Jan 19, 2015
    how the hell does this film have such a bad reputation I really liked it and i would really like to see Goro Miyazaki make another film I even would like to see a sequel I've heard there are more stories in the books they're based on so it's possible. I really like the characters particularly Sparrowhalk played expertly by Timothy Dolton and Art design and animation are both excellent ashow the hell does this film have such a bad reputation I really liked it and i would really like to see Goro Miyazaki make another film I even would like to see a sequel I've heard there are more stories in the books they're based on so it's possible. I really like the characters particularly Sparrowhalk played expertly by Timothy Dolton and Art design and animation are both excellent as usual particularly on the set designs, this world feels big .i do agree this film needed a little more polish to make it really great but i think it's good enough to stand along side the other ghibli films Expand
  2. Nov 29, 2014
    I don't understand why this movie is so hated. I mean, sure is not a masterpiece and not at the level of Miyazaki father, but i absolutely loved the estethics of the world (the half-ruined city is gorgeous) and the story, even if sometimes is sloppy, is interesting enough for keeping up a good paste
  3. Sep 24, 2014
    I don't understand why some people think this is the worst Ghibli movie. It's just amazing!
    I certainly didn't failed to entertain me.
    I think Hayao's son has a great future ahead in animation.
  4. Jun 12, 2014
    Wow - definitely not in the same league as his father. It's a little sad that Ursula Guin gave permission thinking H Miyazaki would direct and then it was handed to his son. Really pretty disloyal to the books - Better if you had never read them as the movie essentially contains the names of the same characters but the details and characteristics are all changed as if G Miyazaki neverWow - definitely not in the same league as his father. It's a little sad that Ursula Guin gave permission thinking H Miyazaki would direct and then it was handed to his son. Really pretty disloyal to the books - Better if you had never read them as the movie essentially contains the names of the same characters but the details and characteristics are all changed as if G Miyazaki never read the books to prepare.

Even if you throw out the connection to U Guin's amazing series the movie is still boring and reorts to cheap violence. Probably not very good for young kids unlike all the other really great Ghibli releases...

Pass this turd up!
  5. Jan 2, 2014
    Contos de Terramar não ruim só mal compreendido. Acho que esse um dos motivos por boa parte não ter gostado gerando uma mal visão sobre uma boa obra.
  6. Jul 5, 2013
    "Tales from Earthsea" is once again, wonderfully animated by Ghibli, and despite its usage of violence and finess lacking and its confusing plot elements, its rather not that bad. While it's not as warming other Ghibli movies, it still conveys enough action that it's not considered bad.
  7. Mar 23, 2013
    Visually This Film Is Perfect... Some Parts Of The Movie Didn't Really Belong.. But Tales From Earthsea Is One Of Best Animated Films Of 2009 Despite Critic's!
  8. Sep 21, 2012
    I have never been more shocked at both the user and critic reviews on metacritic. Without going into all the reasons I love this movie, I love this movie.
  9. May 28, 2012
    Everyone Panned This Movie..
    It Does Not Need To Get All The Harsh Reviews.. A Great Debut For Goro...
    I Really Enjoyed 70% Of The Movie.. I Do Not Like The Action Is This Movie.. If It Was A Warmer Movie This Would Be A Amazing Movie!
    Still Not Even Close To My Favorite Studio Ghibli Movie But Still Not Bad!
  10. May 2, 2012
    Not the best movie it is so so.
  11. Feb 9, 2012
    Taken on its own merits the film is outstanding. People seem dissapointed that he is not his father, this is ridiculous. But like his father's work, the more I viewed the film, the better I liked it. I look forward to his future. Timothy Dalton is solid, and Willem Defoe is at his creepy best. Check it out.
  12. Jan 2, 2012
    It has Studio Ghibli's gorgeous animation but a story that is boring. It is wonderous along with its visuals but with weak voice acting it fails. I give this movie 54%.
  13. Dec 31, 2011
    Tales From Earthsea Overall Should Not Get All The Really Bad Reviews In Japan. This Movie Won Worst Movie & Director... Overall In Spots Is Seems Like A Ghibli Movie, But In Some It Seems Very Bloody.... Some Parts Are Well Seen.... This Is Not In My Favorite Ghibli Movies, But Not Thrown In The Trash....
  14. Aug 12, 2011
    If you're looking for a work along the lines of Spirited Away and are expecting this to be a Hayao film, then Don't think of this movie as such. It is exciting and interesting and stunning to look at. Its not a faithful adaptation nor is it a Hayao M. Masterpiece. But it is great on its own merits. Enjoy it without critique.
  15. Oct 24, 2010
    its not the kind of Hayao Miyazaki, but its very entertaining and it inspires us from the book by Ursula K. LeGuin. the animation was beautiful, the characters were perfect, and the cinematography was great. Tales from Earthsea is so great and kids and adults will enjoy it.
  16. Sep 9, 2010
    A good start for the son of Hayao, the film is nicely drawn and it's certainly entertaining enough. The problem lays with the story, it doesn't make sense. It tends to go off subject and becomes a dull, 'seen it before' fantasy based upon dragons. I did love the song that was written for the film, the song "Teru No Uta" is beautifully made and sang. Overall, it's not everyone 's cup of teaA good start for the son of Hayao, the film is nicely drawn and it's certainly entertaining enough. The problem lays with the story, it doesn't make sense. It tends to go off subject and becomes a dull, 'seen it before' fantasy based upon dragons. I did love the song that was written for the film, the song "Teru No Uta" is beautifully made and sang. Overall, it's not everyone 's cup of tea and it's wasn't my favourite Studio Ghibli film. Expand

1. An artistically arresting yet narratively lame and strangely unfocused cartoon aimed at older children and young adults.
  2. It also features deaths by strangulation and immolation as well as a nasty bit with a flying severed limb.Kids may be less put off by all that, though, than by the film's uninspired hand-drawn animation, visual flatness and elongated running time.
  3. Feels a little like a science-fiction Sunday school pageant.