8.2

1. Apr 11, 2014
    I know I'm about 3.5 years late, but this movie is one of my FAVORITE Disney Princess movies! I'm so upset that I didn't watch it in theaters when it first came out. Everyone I know LOVES this movie. I can honestly say that I don't know a single person who dislikes this movie. Even my 46-year-old father and 16-year-old brother thoroughly enjoyed it; they quote lines from the movie all the time! I highly recommend this movie. It's absolutely phenomenal and great for all ages!! Expand
  2. Mar 15, 2014
    girly films are just sick and too much for me . at least the only girly film i love frozen . but tangled is okay but it is kinda disapointing . ...........................
  3. Mar 12, 2014
    Tangled is unquestionably the funniest animated Disney movie in a very long time, with such deliciously quotable lines as "I'll have you know this is the strangest thing I've ever done!" (spoken while wielding a frying pan in a fight against a horse wielding a sword in its teeth). The writing is some of the most clever I've ever seen in an animated film, though at times this works against the movie: some scenes push past witty into overt self-parody, which seems to conflict with the story's emotional core.

All the same, coming at the end of a near-decade-long Disney slump, with fantastic animation, excellent voice work all around, hilarious writing, enjoyable songs, and a strong story with very likeable characters, it's definitely a return to the same sort of quality we saw in the Disney Renaissance. The biggest problem the movie has is a tendency to act too much like Dreamworks and not enough like Disney, and even that is mostly just a nagging background worry.
  4. Feb 15, 2014
    I am clearly the only person who did not like this film. Painfully predictable and very generic. The songs did not fit well at all with the movie. There were a few laughable moments but that was about the only good thing about it. Would not recommend it.
  5. Feb 12, 2014
    This movie is really fun. It's super original and worth watching. I'm pretty sure that I've watched it about five times or so myself. It's just that good.
  6. Jan 22, 2014
    A bit late on the review, but might as well contribute my love eventually for this movie somewhere. I absolutely love this movie, I grew up with Disney and I have to say, this movie has complete potential to be a part of the Disney classics! It came to be my favorite of them all, which is shocking to me since I was so set with sticking with the classics! While it does have that fairy tale theme, it has a huge modern touch to it. Rapunzel is no damsel in distress, and Flynn is no typical male hero of the story, no love at first site involved, and certainly has good qualities young girls of this generation can look up to. The music in this movie is just amazing to me, despite the mix reviews it's had, I still find my self humming the tunes here and there. Easily Tangled has potential to hit the Broadway's, which shocks me that it hasn't! Tangled is officially something special that will live in my life and home forever and something I hope my own children and theirs will love as well. Expand
  7. Jwv
    Jan 11, 2014
    As the film starts, so will I start by saying that I really like the frame narrative. Everybody will be able to connect with it because of its reminiscence with bed-time stories, and it neatly ties the beginning and the ending together.

Throughout the film, there's a great momentum of action, singing and character building. The film succeeds in portraying likable, believable and funny
    characters that, although they may be cliché-esque types, do convince. The dialogues too may make you suffer from a certain feeling of déjà-vu, but they are witty, and the songs are enjoyable (props to Mandy Moore), with the usual accompanying trademark funny scenes. The voice-acting is top-notch, as are the sound-effects and the soundtrack, which provides just the right tune for just the right occasion. Going on about aesthetics, the animations were colourful and enchanting with jaw-dropping detail (which makes for an awful lot of beautiful screenshots for fans).

The story is no big mystery or surprise, even for those who are not familiar with the fairytale itself. The film however, does a great job of keeping it interesting with several sub-plots and an occasional plot-twist. It is the story about the confrontation between a naive teenager and the world, and also about the adolescent's growing awareness for the other sex. Tangled is a great example of the genius, albeit quite clichéd Disney formula of success on its best. We recognize the story of a sympathetic protagonist searching for freedom, and exploring the world. He or she encounters several evil characters on the journey, but in the end wins out over them, not only because of his or her intelligence and perseverance, but also by charming others with their innocence, likability and lack of prejudice.

This mix of elements forms the basis of the trademark Disney formula, with which Disney here proves they utterly ace the art of pleasing a mass audience, all age categories included.
  8. Jan 11, 2014
    As a 19 year old man, I'm not usually the one for disney movies but this movie was fantastic and I loved it from start to finish (I know i'm late), but definitely a must watch!
  9. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While the beginning is interesting and funny, the ending is rushed, boring, and predictable. The last few songs made me want lie down and fall asleep. The whole princessy 'true love' concept is much too overdone and I think it's time Disney would think up something a little more original. Also, I found it strange, that in the end, Rapunzel wouldn't at least be slightly distrought at the fact that the woman whom she thought was her mother for eighteen years, suddenly became dust and fell out of a window. Very unrealsitic and much too much 'mushiness' Expand
  10. Dec 9, 2013
    My favorite movie of all time. Good clean humor! Really wonderful animation and dynamic and realistic characters. Mandy Moore was the perfect pick for Rapunzel. This movie will make you laugh and cry. Must buy.
  11. Nov 20, 2013
    Tangled unravels with originality.
    Tangled is an wonderful take of a classic fairy tale. The movie is anti climatic at times, but succeeds with its good pacing and well executed animation. The plot is fine, and the movie is enjoyable.
  12. Nov 14, 2013
    Don’t take this review the wrong way I’m not saying that Tangled is a bad movie it was entertaining. The reason why I am not giving this movie a higher score is because outside of the animation there was nothing really special about this movie. If you like these fairy tale stories where there’s a princess, a hero, and a villain and do not care how formulaic its plot it is or if you’re a little kid (especially if you’re a girl) than you’ll enjoy this movie a lot. As for me I fail to see anything amazing about this film. While Tangled isn’t bad its not amazing either. The reason why I gave Toy Story 3 a 9/10 was because it took a typical Toy Story plot and did something interesting with it (growing up, Lotso’s backstory, the furnace scene, and the ending). While fans of this sort of story will love Tangled I do not see this film becoming a classic anytime soon. Expand
  13. Oct 17, 2013
    I think that Tangled is not back to basics. Disney Renaissance passed away. "Tangled" is a good beggining for...I don't know. "Bolt" is good, "The Princess and the Frog" is regular but "Tangled" is better. Disney goes a new direction and it gets to innovate. Fairy tale with traditional basis but it's modern at same time. Good film, Rapunzel is the new classic character in Disney.
  14. Sep 25, 2013
    when I was at the theatres watching the movie i was late and missed the start when the baby gets stolen I preferred it more not knowing she was the princes.
  15. Aug 8, 2013
    Beautiful, fresh, this movie it's just amazing, the plot is incredible and the end is just perfect, I liked a lot the first time I saw this movie, and it's still one of my favorite animation movie
  16. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Tangled" tells the tale of a traditional (yet modern-like) fairy tale, and in most cases it works more modern. As technology has advanced, and the minds of the young children have changed, "Tangled"'s modern turn to a fairy tale somehow is able to work. "Tangled" suffers from its songs, which, although is composed by Alan Menken, the composer of classics such as "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Little Mermaid", is not up to par with them. Its song may not be memorable, but the story is not at all bad. The story focuses from the fairy-tale character Rapunzel whose golden locks are beautifully animated. Rapunzel and her "savior" (yes, another story where the prince saves the princess) Flynn Rider have a funny chemistry and although it focuses on comedic acts, its still enjoyable. Pascal and Maximus are my favorites, as they are the comedic sidekicks that do their purposes well. The ending is a typical Disney one, and in my opinion, is so old. I'll give you a hint cured by love. Well, I guess that's okay... I was debating on a 7 to an 8 and due to the fact that it has romantic moments and an good plot, I would have to give it an 8. If only they had half's on Metacritic. Expand
  17. Apr 19, 2013
    Another great production by Disney, detailing strong morals and creating memorable characters. Although the story is very cliché, it has been spiced up with sub-stories and humorous encounters.
  18. Apr 16, 2013
    A fantastic return to form for Disney. Tangled has got to be one of the best modern Disney movies (not including any Pixar titles.) Great visuals, funny characters, great story, and some of the best dialogue in an animated feature in a long time (well, at least from Disney.)

Overall:
    A fantastic Disney movie that shows what Disney is all about. A true Disney Classic.
  19. Mar 12, 2013
    Highly recommended! Everyone who's a Walt Disney fan, should watch this animation for sure! It's funny,romantic and beautiful adventure that you shouldn't miss!
  20. Jan 23, 2013
    Tangled is a good and enjoyable film. There are lots of hectic moments and lots of old fashioned action. It makes the twist with Rapunzel at the right moment. If you are a die hard animation-comedy fan you will absolutely enjoy this.
  21. Jan 2, 2013
    Revive la emoción de los clásicos pero con un toque moderno de comedia romántica. Distrae desde el primer momento. El camaleón y el caballo son personajes muy divertidos. Tanto Rapunzel como Flynn enamoran al espectador. Buenas canciones.
  22. Dec 11, 2012
    Inadvertently I have watched this two Disney animations hand-in-hand (TANGLED is from the orthodox Disney branch while BRAVE is its flagship Pixar production), which seems to be a perfect paradigm to juxtapose them together and to dissect the state-of-the-art tendency of the mainstream genre (enormously profitable since its chief target are zero in on family with children, so it has a much more important and instructive obligation other than merely an entertainment for the toddlers and above). Coincidentally both films' heroines are princess (Rapunzel in TANGLED and a Scottish Merida in BRAVE), adapted from Grimm Brothers' tale, TANGLED is supremely reminiscent of Disney's other established princess analogs trapped in a magic world, let's say Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, what's more, there will always be a prince-charming to deserve and requite her love. Wisely Rapunzel's Flynn Rider has been sizeably modernized as a reckless, self-mocking yet conservatively "Disney" prince with a thief background. But in BRAVE, Merida is a much more radical rebel by blood, she doesn't have or need a prince with white horse (the film doesn't care to proffer one since all her tribe suitors are one-of-a-kind wackos), she is fighting against her predestined life path which her mother has arranged for her and her status has requested her, a tad thread-bone notwithstanding, but chronicling with a single-linear arc, the mother-daughter predicament has slipped to the hanging-by-a-thread situation when a magic spell transfigures the Queen's appearance into a bear which cannot be recanted after the second sunrise, therefore, instigates an intimate bonding phase for the two, viscerally the mutual love only exudes when something unusual happens, while living in the mundane life, we are all suffering and grated by the love with a insurmountable generation gap. Rapunzel, on the other hand, her main barrier is the ultimate breakthrough from her "mother" Gothel (a greatly overlooked Donna Murphy), who raises her and locks her up in the tower for 18 years, treats her as her own out of a selfish but very understandable motivation (to rejuvenate her youth), but out of any sequential transition, all of a sudden Rapunzel miraculously remember her princess identity (she was taken away when she was an infant, so I doubt there is any memory there, more like an implausible epiphany or actually a screenwriter's block), what's more unbelievably awkward is that she immediately snarls back to her "mother" as if all the recollections of Gothel's evil scheme has been replayed in front of her eyes and she has been tortured for all that year long (actually she is fairly happy and content alone with her cutesy chameleon) , which I deem as a child's play, very much panders to its core audience of pre-school demography. So, from a vantage point under the contemporary context, BRAVE is far more daring and enthralling from its "no guts no glory" premise, it is able to identify with a way broader audience, which is also the main ingredient of the winsome recipe "why Pixar can keep excelling all its peers (if not itself) on the top-tier of the hierarchy", in spite of that on a technical level, all the major animation studios in Hollywood (DREAMWORKS, BLUE SKY STUDIOS, etc.) are almost equally cutting-edge. Music is Disney's strong suit, the first half of TANGLED is a conventional musical showcase, culminating the saccharine romance with the Oscar-nominated theme-song I SEE THE LIGHT, fusing with an intoxicating lanterns-all-over-the-sky spectacle, this has always been the tactic to emit Disney's overblown sentimentality, I am certain it is no longer an all-age proof method now. In BRAVE, although Kelly Macdonald and Emma Thompson's heavy Scottish accents do not get along with my ears, the exotic score and tunes are generally agreeable, and what's more admirable, it doesn't steal the thunder of the film per se. Honestly speaking after the astonishingly-acclaimed WALL-E (2008, 9/10), UP (2009, 9/10) and TOY STORY 3 (2010, 9/10), I automatically skipped last years CAR 2 (2011), BRAVE is a left-field choice, the scale of the story has been slimmed down to a quite unimaginable mother-daughter clash, even grafting it on the most platitudinous soil of a princess's tale. But by good fortune, the film doesn't smear Pixar's paramount reputation, Merida goes through a well-deployed rite-of-passage and the sub-plots such as the blue wisps, the ancient lore of the discontent brother and the witch's hut are all positioned into the right niche to uplift the mythology and idiosyncrasy of the film. As for TANGLED, Disney will never relinquish its tradition (otherwise Walt Disney will definitely be jumping inside his tomb), and it is also an exquisitely-made piece of work, just unfortunately paled by comparison by BRAVE since there is no sparks glittering and all the chirpy happiness seems synthetic and a bit stale. Expand
  23. Dec 8, 2012
    Bravo, Walt Disney Pictures, Bravo! #5 on my Animated Films list...truly a wonderful movie. Disney's 2nd best to only Beauty and the Beast! The music is lovely and reminded me of everything I loved about Disney as a kid! It's that good people, don't miss it!
  24. Nov 7, 2012
    Tangled gets the animated children's movie right. It's funny, heartwarming, and watchable for anyone who loves the movies. If not for Toy Story 3, it'd be the best animated film of the year.
  25. Aug 11, 2012
    Fantastic film! Although being an 18 year old boy who isn't the biggest fan of disney films, I was surpirsed by how much I loved this film. This film I feel was rejected by many, like I did, when they first saw a glimpse of it. It seemed like a typical princess film in which only girls would truly love. I really do regret not seeing this on the big screen. The main reason why I love this film are the characters. They're just so believable and relate-able. Flynn isn't your typical pretty boy and Rapunzel has more attitude and character than most princesses. Also the film looks stunning, high production values and a great attention to detail make the kingdom feel real. The relationship between Rapunzel and Flynn has more chemistry than most and it actually develops. In most of these films the relationship seems shallow and unreal. But here, you can tell these two are truly in love. This makes the film more emotional and believable. I do recommend this film to anyone because I'm just a normal guy who has never been into these films. Tangled maybe my favourite disney film. Its strangely addictive. Its gonna be my new guilty pleasure. But trust me, give the film a chance and you'll love it. Yes I admit, some parts are a bit far-fetched and the film is a bit on the short side. But this doesn't really ruin the expeerince. Expand
  26. Jul 3, 2012
    I loved this movie, I always have a good feelling when disney release a new princess. I lo ve the way is focus the "Rapunzel" story, I liked this "new perspective" about the princess wants to go oue and took the iniciative, not wating for prince who rescue her. I love the concept. Excellent movie for me.
  27. Jun 24, 2012
    I'm a HUGE fan of Pixar movies, and I must say that - with the help of the Pixar guys - Disney managed to do as good, if not better (animation is just incredible !). This movie is also a great success for my daughters (2 and 9), my wife too... The blu ray is very impressive on a HD TV (if you have to chose between BD and DVD).
  28. May 26, 2012
    Its probably not as refined as Princess and the Frog but Tangled can appeal to a larger audience because of the action and extra plot elements involved.
  29. May 25, 2012
    When I saw previews to "Tangled", I honestly didn't have any interest to see it. It's just that Disney isn't the same anymore, I missed the Cartoon Animated types of Disney I wasn't getting into the CG Disney. I do like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Up, and others from both Disney and Pixar. But it still doesn't give me that Disney feeling, I don't see the magic and imagination it use to have. "Princess and the Frog" and "Winnie the Pooh" were the last Disney Animated films I saw, and I really enjoyed them. But my parents got "Tangled" on Blu-ray, and I still disproved it so much. They were begging me so much to see it, so I finally broke down and watched it. The only thing I need to be completely honest is that I am a complete moron. This movie brought back the magic and imagination that I missed and waited for Disney to do, and I regrettably disproved it so much. I really wish I saw this in theaters, I was blown away by everything about it. I loved how it explains a lot on Rapunzel's childhood and why her hair keeps growing, it made a lot of sense. Then it gets better when the adventure begins, and finally see's her unforgettable cult to her kingdom. I felt heartbroken to see the King and Queen get emotional before they throw the lantern's for their lost daughter's birthday. Rapunzel never knew that all of that was about her, and its the main reason why she wants to go to that kingdom. I loved the characters, I really loved Flynn Rider and Maximus the horse. The animation, I honestly forgot about the CG, it was mostly 2D and it looked great. I don't know what else to say, but I really loved this movie so much. I just saw it for the 1st time just now, I'm gonna see it again many times more. But still, OH GOD I just wish I saw it in theaters. This was the Disney Animated film I've waited for, and I'm so happy to see that it still has that feeling and the heart for our dreams to come true. Expand
  30. May 25, 2012
    A solid Disney film though I sometimes find the voice acting to corny and cheesy. But nevertheless, it does have great graphics and an interesting Rapunzel-like story that is just enough..............
  31. May 5, 2012
    When I first heard of Tangled, I automatically turned my nose up due to the fact that it was a disney movie that involved Rapunzel. I was happily proven wrong when I watched it the other week. I like how disney managed to make it appealing to both boys and girls with a male and female role who both have an equal importance to the film. The film also combines great action scenes with broadway style songs and typical disney princess story telling. "Chuck" Star Zachary Levi voices the charming yet idiotic bandit Flynn Rider while pop star turned actress Mandy Moore plays the sweet rapunzel. this film is perfect for both the young, old and everywhere in between. I must watch and Ten times the quality on Blu-Ray Expand
  32. Apr 23, 2012
    Tangled gloriously showcases Disney's return to top-form. It's deeply heartfelt, smart, funny and looks simply gorgeous. The voice actors' performances are great - Mandy Moore's Rapunzel and Zachary Levi's Flynn Rider have great chemistry, Donna Murphy makes Mother Gothel delightfully amoral, and the most memorable Disney villain in years, and the rest of the cast, including Ron Perlman, Brad Garrett and Jeffrey Tambor all appearing to be having an immense amount of fun in their roles. The real scene-stealers, however, are not characters with dialogue (though their animalistic expressions are expertly provided by Frank Welker), but the royal horse Maximus and Rapunzel's pet chameleon Pascal - with the possible exception of Meeko and Flit from Pocahontas and WALL-E, they make two of the most entertaining mostly-silent animated characters in film history. The story is energetic and engaging, the characters compelling, the songs are catchy (particularly "Mother Knows Best" and "I've Got a Dream") and you'd have to have a heart of stone to hold back tears at the tender and beautiful lantern extravaganza scene. It's always pleasing when Disney get the balance of entertaining both adults and children just right, something they certainly achieve in Tangled. It's a hugely fitting 50th animated feature for Disney, and here's hoping they can maintain this standard in the future, and never return to the mediocrity that has plagued many of their films in the last decade. Expand
  33. Feb 28, 2012
    This movie is amazing. Action, comedy, romance, good characters, and who can forget, a horse eating an apple. At first, I thought this movie was going to be crap, but when I saw it, it was a beautifully made masterpiece I will never forget.
  34. Jan 30, 2012
    I loved the film; its story, animation, music, and humor were all superb. Maybe worthy of the Disney 'Renaissance era' and proves Disney still has it in them when it comes to producing an excellent all around animated film for all ages. It holds up too as it's still great after multiple viewings over the past year.

Highly recommend it.
  35. Jan 20, 2012
    Pretty good movie. Usual Disney Fare. Happy ending, you know what's going to happen. However made me laugh a lot. Didn't see it in theaters but its still pretty good on netflix. Watch it with your kids, or watch it with a couple guys and make fun of the plot holes, either way your going to have fun with this one.
  36. Jan 17, 2012
    Tangled is charming, hilarious, well animated and just fun. It doesn't have very memorable music but a few songs will get stuck in your head, and Mandy Moore gives a fantastic voice performance and the whole film just ends up being a whole lot more deep than most would think or even expect. I give this film 92%.
  37. Jan 9, 2012
    One of the best and hilarious movie made by Disney! I'm not really into princess stories with boring songs dumb innocence and typical handsome true love... but this movie got me tangled.
  38. Jan 7, 2012
    The biggest suprise of 2010, did not expect it to feel like a classic and/but feature some of the best animation in recent years. Funny, charming and actual good songs (unlike princess and the frog). Up there with Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon. This film was a moderate hit in the U.S. (it did amazing internationally) but I expect it to do much better in the future
  39. Dec 12, 2011
    While it is hard to say that "Tangled" was a bad film, it is definitely easy to say that it had a number of critical flaws. It is understandable that it would be cheesy and all, it is a Disney film after all. However, that does not mean that NONE of the conventions of Disney films shouldn't (at least attempted to) be broken. It has the very typical narrative and plot direction, and one can see it from a mile ahead. Girl and boy meet, girl falls for boy, boy falls for girl, villain separates them by tricking them, girl disappointed and heart broken, boy comes to save the day, and they live happily ever after. Granted, it does have the reversal of the boy saves girl, where Rapunzel actually saves the boy, but nonetheless it is rather typical. The animation is beautiful with some great work done here. The original score was decent enough, and there were some nice songs, out of which I've especially enjoyed "Mother is Right" and "I See the Lights." Overall, though, with the predictable plot, and really annoying ways of maintaining the typical, mainstream view of what a fairytale is (unlike, for example, Shrek), it ultimately fails to provide us with anything that might be rewarding or challenging at the end. It ultimately comes down to be a good film for kids, but offers very little for adults, except of a cosy film with some nice songs and beautiful visuals. And sometimes that's just enough, but most of the time it just doesn't quite cut it to be a "good" film. 5/10 Expand
  40. Dec 12, 2011
    Strictly mediocre fare; it has its moments, but a lot of the movie just doesn't flow well, the plot feels contrived, and the central conflict is not very strong. The wicked witch's power in this movie was -stabbing people-. I mean, really? What kind of evil magic user is that?

The music was very cheesy, and while the animation was beautiful, I can't really say that this is a great movie.
    Its a children's movie and nothing more. Expand
  41. Dec 3, 2011
    It's perfect. Best animated non-Pixar Disney Movie. It's not a standard stupid animated movie for kids, like Bee Movie, Chicken Little, etc., and that's the thing that I like of the animated movies. Fun, comedy and plot.
  42. Nov 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely, searingly horrible. I'm never going to get that time back. This movie attempts to be funny and made viewers laugh but utterly and horribly fail at it. Also it's extremely unrealistic besides the magic hair and what not. In a life time someone couldn't grow 70ft of hair, it's impossible and even if they did there would be a lot of dead ends to it and it wouldn't be so pretty. My older sisters adores this movie but the plot is lame, rushed, and stupid. Hair couldn't make someone come back to life and everything moves much to fast. One moment Finn meets Rapunzel the next he's in love with her and doesn't want the damn crown back. The characters are pathetic because they have no personality and what little they do have is always changing and swinging back and forth. One moment Finn is the bad, the next he's the awesome, amazing prince for Rapunzel. Where is this movie leading I asked myself as I watched it. No where was the answer. The music is lame and the whole theme is overdone. Especially the part in the tavern when all these mean, rough tough guys turn into soft marshmallows. It's very unrealistic. Don't be stupid and waste your time watching this. Expand
  43. Nov 15, 2011
    Another gem brewed up by Disney as they fail to disappoint. Great voice acting with characters you can't seem to hate. A film that teaches a little about becoming independent when it is dearly needed.
  44. Oct 22, 2011
    'Tangled' I actually thought that in places was quite funny. A good piece of animation that rarely ever happens, probably not the best animated film I have ever seen but I did enjoy it.
  45. Oct 3, 2011
    After years seeing only modern adaptations of fairy-tales, it was good to see the traditional story coming to alive on screen. Of course, that makes the film quite predictable with a lot of cliches included. Nevertheless, the cast is talented, the music is good and the visuals are one of the best I've seen on a cartoon.
  46. Sep 27, 2011
    Not a bad animation for Walt Disney's 'princess' franchise, but it certainly lacks the purity the old animations (Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid) had.
  47. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    I was surprised by how funny and cute this movie was. The trailers made it look like crap. It reminded me of Disney's glory years. However, I wish it was hand drawn, rather than computer animated.
  48. Sep 9, 2011
    Admittedly, I haven't seen a Disney movie for a while, so the magic and wonder hit me pretty hard. I watched this one last night before going to sleep, and I'm still thinking about it. I think it was an awesome movie, and it was very romantic. It's really hard to get a good romance in an animated film, and this was done excellently. Yes, I am female. The style was very casual, a la The Incredibles or Cars thanks to John Lasseter, so the magical bits just became that much more magical. I give this a two thumbs up, and I will probably have to watch it again and cry some more. Expand
  49. Aug 25, 2011
    Behold. Disney has made a landmark in cinema. There are few times in history of visual arts where a feat such as this is accomplished. Apocalypse Now created a film that felt like being in a Vietnamese war zone. Raging Bull managed, with a camera, to make you feel as if you had been punched square in the jaw. And now, Tangled has done something once thought impossible as well: Disney has created a Mandy Moore film that doesn't suck. (pause). I apologize for that build up to a silly punch-line, but I would have never forgiven myself if I didn't write it. Oh, the movie? Yeah, it's pretty good. Expand
  50. Aug 24, 2011
    6 & 9 year old kids liked it and so did the wife and I. But overall the story is pretty forgettable and not very well executed. Good family flick if you are looking for one, though.
  51. Aug 1, 2011
    Disney strays from its self-esteem centered story work while sticking to its sacrificial hero helping a brave damsel in distress, and it works very well. Outside of a big gripe I will discuss later, Disney still seems to have some sort of magic when it doesnâ
  52. Jul 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie certainly does have some good things in it, and I really do recommend watching it, but I can't help but feel that some things are missing. First of all, for a Disney villain, Gothel isn't a very memorable villain (she felt more like an annoying old woman). Also, none of the songs were even memorable like other animated Disney movie (maybe kids who watched this movie today may argue with me years from now about this point). Despite my few complaints, the movie is indeed solid, with a good plot and character development, just don't expect something as magical as Disney's 2D animated classics. Expand
  53. Jul 8, 2011
    I honestly didn't think this movie was gonna be worth my time. I was suppose to meet up with my aunt & her daughter to see it but they never showed. So, I went by myself and I loved it. I thought is was gonna be a typical disney animation but i like the fact that it was a little more mysterious and darker than most of the princess movies. The kids as well as the adults will enjoy this movie.
  54. Jun 29, 2011
    Yes!! Finally a Disney film that has the same magic as the real classics (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin etc) The story is easy, yet good, and the characters are lovable. The songs are very good (Alan Menken did a good job writing the songs) and they are performed well. If you want to see a real Disney Animation movie, well, see this, cause Tangled is pure magic; Disney magic :) Expand
  55. Jun 27, 2011
    nice movie :) it doesn't hurt to watch it... i guess. i wouldn't call it good but i wouldn't call it bad either. it's those 'okayish' ones. If you have nothing to watch, watch this. (the guy is ugly though)
  56. Jun 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It feels almost magical to see Disney back at their best, with three great animated features in a row - Tangled being the third! It's filled with great characters, all voiced brilliantly (even by Mandy Moore, whom I otherwise can't stand!), great music, and, as it always should be with a great Disney film, there's tons of sweet, sweet songs. Sure, it's mostly made to generate money, and you do feel that at times, but all in all, this is a great win for Disney! Expand
  57. Jun 10, 2011
    Very cute movie! I loved it! It was entertaining with a bit of humor throughout the movie. I would recommend this for children and for adults (that's me!). But then I never saw a bad Disney movie!!! Disney movies rock!
  58. Jun 7, 2011
    Fun, cute, good for all ages.. nice family film.

SOLID all around. ENJOY!

...umkay, i gotta hit 150 chars here, that's a surprise. Usually I can't shutup, but here I must run on.

This flik has humor for young and old.... yeah, one of those. It's solid fun for all. Yeah, 150char-i'm done here!
  59. May 28, 2011
    Another great Disney animated film. Beautifully drawn, well performed, and serves its purpose. Because the music deserves its due, I disagree in their advertising of this movie with the hiding of the fact that its a musical.
  60. May 11, 2011
    Actually quite a great movie. Representation of the world and the characters are beautiful, plot is well made (but a little bit cliche though). Very good for family time-killing purpose if you don't like the animation. Just try it.
  61. Apr 24, 2011
    I went in thinking that this would be another kids movie that puts you to sleep. I can say I was wrong I really enjoyed it. It was well done, funny and kept me on my seat the whole time. animation is awesome the actors had me laughing the whole time. It was really nice to an "old school" movie with all the singing. I almost forgot that all movies used to be like that. I recommend this for a family movie night. Expand
  62. Apr 22, 2011
    Very beautiful. That's what I can describe about the film, the characters, the environment, the story, although it is modified from the original, but it is quite good. More over, this film is very fun, I can find a lot of laugh in it. Nevertheless, the original music of the film is just a little "over mediocre", which is not match so much with the whole fascinating film. If Walt Disney had given the better music, this film would have been one of the greatest animation that they've ever created. Never mind, 9.0 points for their effort and let's hope they can make better film in the future! Expand
  63. Apr 9, 2011
    "Tangled" dances awfully close to the perfection of early 90s Disney films. Far better than last year's "The Princess and the Frog", "Tangled" provides a fresh take on the classic tale by the Brothers Grimm and has a certain magical quality that makes for an extremely fun movie going experience. It fits right into the Walt Disney canon and although it isn't quite as groundbreaking as "Beauty and the Beast" or "The Little Mermaid", the comparison certainly is justified. "Tangled" is a wonderful throwback to when animated films weren't only fun, but magical as well. Expand
  64. Apr 8, 2011
    The story is well done, the script is mostly fresh and intelligent, and the jokes are funny. None of the songs are particularly memorable but at least they do not slow down the movie too much. The most enjoyable part of this Rapunzel story are the side characters. In almost all Disney movies, the main character has a character sidekick, same here. Rapunzel's sidekick is a chameleon named Pascal who is ok but the funniest character in the movie is a horse named Maximus who has all human mannerisms, but is a horse. I laughed at every scene that horse was in. A close second are the 'ruffians' who Rapunzel runs into. They probably have the funniest song in the movie, each are drawn with their respective overemphasized distinguishing characteristics, and they provide fresh material when the main story gets bogged down with the actual Rapunzel storyline. The main villain is not very interesting nor completely evil so she is mostly forgettable and makes you wait for the supporting characters, especially that horse, to come back on screen. Overall, an enjoyable movie. Expand
  65. Apr 7, 2011
    i never thought that tangled would be like this.it was fascinating.the graphics are realy good and the music was in top class.this movie has a very good character development and the storyline is very fresh,that though we heard the old tale it still refreshing.walt disney has done their very best for this animated movie,and this isn't a kids only movie.most of the adults had a good time with this.u will never forget this movie. Expand
  66. Apr 6, 2011
    I wasn't really sure what to expect with this movie, while I was excited for it I was worried it would let me down, but it did no such thing, it's funny and charming, the only complaint I have is the songs are cheesy and I didn't really like them all that much, but there aren't that many so I can't complain all that much, a must see.
  67. Mar 30, 2011
    Cute movie, but the music was SUPER cheesy. I liked the horse the best. I think it was a good movie, but not original enough like Wall-E or Finding Nemo...waiting for the next big one!
  68. Mar 21, 2011
    A truly entertaining feature which made me and the kids laugh a lot and leave the movie theater truly excited. The story of Rapunzel retold with great animation, score and storyline.
  69. Mar 13, 2011
    Before I saw Tangled, Toy Story 3 was for me the best animated film of 2010. But after I watched it, I was blown away how much this film is fantastic. Mandy Moore has a extremely beautiful voice, as well as Zachary Levi, and that can be seen from the plane. There is not need for nothing more to be said, an amazing film.
  70. Mar 5, 2011
    While Tangled is far from being Disney's finest film, its Pixar-inspired animation is as stunning as ever whilst the film's modern re-imagining of Rapunzel is profound as well.
  71. Feb 24, 2011
    Went to see this my one of my cousins from Albany, New York and my siblings enjoyed it. So did I. Animation was excellent, Acting was top-notch, songs are memorable, and setting was amazing. This movie is Disney's greatest creations since The Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
  72. Feb 14, 2011
    "Tangled is Disney's 50th animated picture is Sweet , Clever and Charming as it is astounding and never misses a beat from its visuals to its heart and humor. I enjoyed the film from start to finish and i'm sure this is a movie everyone will love" .. A-
  73. Feb 5, 2011
    So, the second most expensive film, and the most expensive animated film ever made (Not taking into account inflation). fact. So you think it's gonna be good right? Well then, you won't be disappointed. This fabulous film takes us back to the classic story of rapunzel, and puts in some laughs, some twists, all the things that disney seem to have lacked over the past couple of years. Songs, an evil stepmother (of sorts), and a pretty good attempt at singing by Zachary levi's role put together a wonderful film, which will have both the kids, and adults laughing. the only thing that really bugged me, was that us (the UK) only got it at the end of january, but hey, it was worth the wait. So, go get your popcorn, get your family, and go see that film! Expand
  74. Feb 2, 2011
    Tangles is an entertaining fairy tale sure to entertain any family. It has adventure, romance, and original plot (thank you!). The only issues I found were the following:
    The lack of thematic content, sure it had some interesting idea's, but it didn't make its point very well. In doing this it also blurred the line on whether it is right to trust your parents. This (in my opinion) could
    have been fixed if they had pushed their point or at least asked the question more clearly. Expand
  75. Jan 31, 2011
    This movie is awesome! Disney did it again! Me and a group of high school friends went to see it and loved it so much! Except for it being animated, I forgot it was a kid movie. Has an unexpected twist, but of course it has a happy ending!
  76. Jan 25, 2011
    with a 260 million budget you could at least bribe half of the movie critics out there. No seriously, 260 million? what the hell did you guys do with all that money???
  77. Jan 25, 2011
    Great movie! Usually I tend to not watch animation movies in the theatres, but according to friends, Tangled was really quite good. And I thought exactly that. What separates the movie is the fact that it toys with the stereotypical plot line of a fairytale and that it ends with a satisfying ending that lacks the corniness that too many movies now feature. The amount of detail gone into facial expressions is brilliant and conveys that of the feelings and emotions of the characters. Perhaps my only flaw with the movie are the lack of memorable Disney-esque songs, and a somewhat forced entry of the songs that were featured. Also, the plot is incredibly predictable, though I suppose it's a kid movie and happy things have to happen. Having said that, it's a great movie to lift up spirits though unfortunately I found myself yawning more than once throughout. Expand
  78. Jan 23, 2011
    Went with the kids prepared to be bored during 2 hours, but it turned out to be a great CG movie. Funny, clever, beautiful and entertaining. I think I enjoyed it more than the kids...
  79. Jan 23, 2011
    Even though I freaking love disney animated movies, I had low expectations for this because by looking at the trailer, I thought they'd fill the movie with lame pop culture references and jokes. Boy, was I wrong! This movie pays perfect tribute to all the great Disney movies from the 30s, 40s, 5s, and 60s by using great modern touches.
  80. Jan 21, 2011
    Tangled is something of a gem. It harkens back to the golden age of Disney animation, deftly balancing humour, drama and sentiment without feeling forced in any way. The musical scores and voice acting are amazing and entertaining and this is by far one of the uses of CGI with a world created with a rich colour palette that vibrant and warmth that looks like it was lifted from a 2D animated film and made in 3D. The plot, although there were one or two niggles that could have been left out is sublime and a wonderful take on the fairy tale and is not afraid to go to the slightly darker side of fairy tales that exists in the their other films. Although it is too early to tell we have a forerunner for Best Animated picture for next years Oscars. Put simply, Tangled is one of the best films animated films I' ve seen that was not made by Pixar. Expand
  81. Jan 17, 2011
    Tangled is an engaging, appealing movie that exudes vibrancy and impressive character. It's a fun movie, but teaches a valuable lesson to the young ones. Live your life, and fight even if you are devoured by others.
  82. Jan 14, 2011
    Absolutely horrible. Princess this, princess that. I love you. This movie was unfunny and a waste of 1 and a half hours. The reason why I gave it a 1 is the 3D effects were pretty sweet. But the overall story was horrible.
  83. Jan 14, 2011
    What to say? It's Disney... and now is back to the basics... the classics! That old one which we grown up with...! A really brave princess, that goes beyond any boundary... a ''kinda'' prince who realices what is draming all about and two little but really important comic characters: Max and Pascal we've got what's expected, and what HAS BEEN BEING EXPECTED from a long time ago... a CLASSIC... humor, love, and over all of this... a great dream to fulfill!!!! Expand
  84. Jan 9, 2011
    A friend of mine asked me, Is thiz movie worth-watching? I said, Go and find out for yourself. It is Disney anyway. Not every year, Disney introduces us to their new princess. It is going to be a magical time of your life, get ready to be part of the history. Do you remember how wonderful is Snow White, Cinderella, princess Aurora the Sleeping Beauty, Ariel the Little Mermaid, beautiful Belle and The Beast, Aladdin princess Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, up to last year Princess Tiana and her Frog? It is the time! For long-haired Rapunzel (Mandy Moore) to get out from her hidden tower, to leave vicious mother Gothel and has some adventures with her prince, errr.. I mean runaway bandit, Flynn Rider (Zachary Levi). It is also for the first time, princess Rapunzel will face the unfriendly outside world, but do not worry, she got her frying pan to protect herself and accompanies by very cool chameleon, Pascal and the white horse with dog capability, Maximus. The song When Will My Life Begin reflects that adventure spirit. The Directors are Nathan Greno and Byron Howard. Both of them had ever worked together in dog tale BOLT (2008). But I think the person that deserves the posthumous achievement to bring thiz German fairy tale comes alive is no other than Alan Menken. Menken is the regular Disney genius composer who can always provide delightful classic elements into every piece of his magical music or score. The storyline is so smooth and dynamic. Yeah it is predictable, but at least you could enjoy the joyful comedy, it is always fun to watch how Rapunzel and silly Flynn Rider tease each other. And although without dialogue, the animal characters, the chameleon Pascal and the horse Maximus are also doing an exhilarating slick slapstick performance. For visual excitement, the picture has been beautifully rendered to another level, you will be amazed by how realistic each texture and detail it has been made, the hair, the grass bit by bit. The most powerful scene is The Floating Lanterns Night Scene, when finally Rapunzel and Flynn were in the boat right outside the castle, waiting for the glow flying lanterns to be released. In that romantic moment, you could feel the pure sincerity and so much loves between them, through their innocence face expressions and breathtaking interaction with the background song: I See the Light. That scene simply gives you goosebumps and could easily bring tears in your eyes. It is very rarely, there is a movie that could touch my heart. Thiz one is definitely the one. Usually if someone asks me, Who is your favorite Disney Princess? Most of the time, I would answer, Cinderella! But after thiz movie, maybe I would give a different answer. By the way, I always love the girl with the long hair ^_^ It is certainly Disney knows best!

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  85. Jan 7, 2011
    Ol' school Disney is back ! :) You get the princess, funny animals, songs, bad guys and of course the happy end. On top of that, a gorgeous presentation. Some moments are genuinely magical, if you're in the mood. I'd recommend this movie for kids, families, but also for adults, if you like that Disney magic.
  86. Jan 3, 2011
    Tangled is a fantastic movie! Disney did not market this movie right. I didn't realize it was a musical until we were watching it. I don't know why Disney didn't market it as a musical--if I had known it was a musical, I would have seen it opening weekend. It was so nice to finally see another Disney animated musical with music by Alan Menken again. I really like the music, but I wish someone with a stronger voice than Mandy Moore was playing the lead. There were a few plot holes I noticed, but it was still highly enjoyable. I would gladly see it again, while it's still in the theatre even. I will definitely buy the DVD. Expand
  87. Jan 2, 2011
    I enjoyed Tangled very much. The animation was great, and the humor is perfect for all ages. I went with my aunt (I'm 13, my aunt's 23) and we were both laughing. I would most definitely recommend this to anyone of any age.
  88. Dec 30, 2010
    This one really surprised me. Was expecting a stupid Disney movie by the trailers. But it was extremely well done. Just as enjoyable for the adults as for the kids, without relying on any of the usual crass humor I've come to expect. Nothing in it that I felt my kids shouldn't see. Good message. Strong roles. A great story good complexity in the mother/ daughter role for adults and discerning kids to appreciate. Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Expand
  89. Dec 29, 2010
    This movie, "Tangled", displays many pieces of humor, which did make me laugh throughout the movie. Although, "Tangled", does represent a repetitive and lagging plot. Despite the humor, it did contain repetitive dialog and bland character's. Furthermore, "Tangled" is a movie that your 1 year old daughter will enjoy, but if you have a child over the age of 4 this movie will be a boring sitcom to them This movie contains mainly not dry humor but even wet humor and is the least bit dramatic and has a plot that I would not recommend to somebody fond and familiar with a good film. There was fantastic animation in the film which I came into the movie surprised and pleased. But even though of the animation, Disney's of a great fairy tale turned out to be a far worse film. Expand
  90. Dec 28, 2010
    I forgot Disney movies use to have singing!!! There are so many animated films out now that it is easy to forget that Disney movies are normally musical (especially when you assume all animated films are from Disney). The first song started and I thought, "dear lord there's singing I thought they stopped doing that."

Needless to say I spent the first portion of the movie kicking myself
    for wasting my money but as the movie progressed it got better. The characters were great and likable. There were a few funny parts. I think if you go with children they will find it hilarious. Expand
  91. Dec 27, 2010
    Great movie. It takes classic Disney animation and storyline (look and feel), and gives it a modern sprucing up and some twists. Tangled has several layers of humor (child, teen, adult), some depth, and a lot of action. It's something for everyone, and one of my favorite movies (animated or not) in the last several years.
  92. Dec 26, 2010
    Amazing animation. The movie was very cute & funny, & left me impressed, due to my expectations that it was not going to be a mind-blowing movie. The best parts of the movie were not even in the ads. The horse was hilarious, the soundtrack was intense & well-fitting, the storyline & plot was never dull & always never unexpected nor predictable. Amazing movie that exceeds expectations. Please see this movie, & people of all ages should like it! Expand
  93. Dec 24, 2010
    Quite an animation. I was so impressed, Tangled gives us a fresh interpretation of the well known fairytale - extreamly funny, entertaining, breathtaking - Such a wonderful hour and a half to spend with your little brother :)
  94. Dec 23, 2010
    I went to this movie with fairly low expectations because I thought "The Princess and the Frog" from last year was mediocre. I love animation so I check out most releases. This turned out to be Disney's best feature in awhile. It certainly helped that the music was WAY better than the Frog movie. The humor is elevated high enough for both children and adults to enjoy, and some of the animation is amazing - particularily the scene where they let go of the lanterns while on the boat. At first you might roll your eyes at all the impossible tasks the princess can do with her hair, but after awhile you just go with it. It is a fairy tale after all. The movie doesn't quite reach the level of "Toy Story 3" or "How to Train Your Dragon", but it's very close. Expand
  95. Dec 11, 2010
    Though a touch slow at first, once this movie really begins it shines. Beautifully animated, with a very wonderful "Into the Woods" vibe, this film was a little bit of everything wonderful, making it easily rewatchable. It's fun and full of energy.
  96. Dec 11, 2010
    Disney always gets it right, they really do. Though i guess there is some minor criticism for Tangled: it runs a bit slow in the beginning, and the musical pieces are not exactly blockbusters. But who cares... it's got everything a modern American cartoon needs: simple enough to keep the kids on track, enough adult humor to keep the adults entertained, and a very charming and heartwarming story to pull it together. Some of the sideshow-character development is stupendous, including Maximus the horse, and the gang of Ruffians. You don't need kids to go see this... I can tell you that personally... I don't have kids, but my girl and I had a wonderful date night... Enjoy. Expand
  97. Dec 7, 2010
    Good, not great, just average. Movie for the family, mainly kids. some laughs, some singing, happy ending as usual. Good revamp of the story rapunzel.
  98. Dec 6, 2010
    My friends and I really wanted to see Tangled ever since the previews and we were not disappointed. I loved the art style. it displays top-notch 3d animation in 3d but still echos the charm and cuteness of classic 2d Disney animation. The story is great too. It is packed with comedy drama and some really dark themes harking back to the Grimm's fairy tale it is based off. The songs aren't bad either. They were surprisingly catchy, not 'hakuna matatata' or 'under the sea' catchy but still really great. I think this is everything Disney fans have been waiting for since Beauty and the Beast. It is as creative, gorgeous, and fun as the classics before it while showing cutting edge technological animation techniques. Rapunzel is definitely my new favorite Disney princess. Expand
  99. Dec 5, 2010
    It is no secret that I am a fan of Disney movies. I don't care what anyone thinks; I like good animation and a good story. It also no secret that Disney is one sided when it comes to movies geared to girls than towards boys. The boys get crap while the "princesses" have a whole park dedicated to them. So I was a little happy to hear that Disney was doing its version of the story Rapunzel but instead calling it "Tangled" because they were going to try appeal to coed audience. How on earth did they expect to do this? I mean the movie is about an 18 year-old girl with long blond hair, little boys aren't interested in that at allâ Expand

1. Reviewed by: Helen O\'Hara
    Jan 24, 2011
    Not just a pretty face; there's meat on its bones and a song in its heart besides. This deserves a place up there with the best of Disney's previous fairy tales.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Dec 9, 2010
    Disney's spirited re-telling of Rapunzel in 3D animation turns out to be a dazzler.
  3. Reviewed by: Amy Biancolli
    Dec 9, 2010
    There aren't that many songs this time - just a handful, reprised ad infinitum. You get to sing most of them, so I'm sure you've noticed how bland they are.