6.9

1. Feb 18, 2014
    It's pretty crude humor but it's awesome rock and roll and just some pure entertaining stuff which is what it all comes down to. Jack Black has always been my favorite actor and combine that with Rock and Roll and it's pure genius.
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    Though some would argue them to be a Novelty duo, my opinion lies in saying that they make excellent Metal that just so happens to have hilarious lyrics. This highly underrated classic takes you through a journey of mixing classic metal with new elements featuring Meat Loaf, Ronnie James Dio, and Dave Grohl in their musical pieces. Ben Stiller and John C Reily also make appearances as actors in comical moments. This Movie is a must see for anybody with a great sense of humor and love for metal! Expand
  3. Jul 24, 2013
    I'm really not sure how it bombed so bad. I immediately connected with the film. I've watched it many times and consider it a comedy classic in my library. To each their own, I say! What has one person quaking with laughter doesn't do it for another. That's fine, but, if you dig the D then you should give this a shot because it's pretty drop dead hilarious.
  4. Gaz
    Jun 8, 2013
    A cheesy, low-budget movie featuring Tenacious D. It's not intended for people who aren't fans of the greatest rock and roll band of all time. It's dumb, it's rockin', it's hilarious. What more do you want?
  5. Jan 3, 2013
    Most reviews of this film will say something along the line of it not being a film for a large audience but more an experience for the fans, and I will say, unless you're a fan, you'll wonder what the hell is happening. If you watched this and have never heard their music before then it will come across as two wannabe rock gods in a film that makes little sense. A fan of the band or just Jack Black and it's definitely for you; the typically silly Tenacious D humour, the general relationship between JB and Kyle Gass works very well and of course a brilliant soundtrack.

The script isn't brilliant, and as others have said it starts phenomenally well but goes off track and becomes ridiculous as the film progresses only to be saved from mediocrity by a brilliant ending. Though that's not to say there aren't some very good parts in the middle, it's just a bit of a mess. Those who criticize their "ego" by calling themselves the best band in the world obviously are blind to the fact that it's the joke. You don't have to be stoned to enjoy it, maybe it helps, but there are enough laughs and outright brilliant musical entertainment to keep a fan happy, and Tenacious D are possibly the only people capable of making such low-brow humour acceptable. To someone who isn't a fan, keep an open mind and remember when it comes to this duo nothing has to make complete logical sense. It's not a good idea to over analyze this film, just enjoy it for what it is. Ridiculous, rocking and hilarious.
  6. Jun 9, 2012
    I think its safe to say it let fans down....... but funny and awesome music! And I still watch it over and over again. I would rather watch the hbo episodes. The new album is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Mar 27, 2012
    This is more of an inside joke than a major motion picture -- you'll either get it or you'll leave wondering why it wasn't more like Avatar.

m/ m/
  8. Nov 26, 2011
    It was pretty terrible. Poor acting, Poor music as well and I thought it made for a terrible musical, and the entire film is just so stupid you cant believe that you are actually watching this.
  9. Nov 20, 2011
    Really funny film with its epic questline along the way. Dont listen to the haters they are just too old to understand what awesome music is all about. Everyone must watch it. Highly recommended
  10. Oct 8, 2011
    It will make you laugh, if you didn't laugh then you're taking it too seriously. The story is simple enough so that when/if you're high you won't get confused
  11. Jan 18, 2011
    I guess you need to enjoy stoner humor to find any Apatow film funny. I just don't enjoy his work, it seems that all he really cares about is glorifying drugs (yes pot is a drug don't kid yourself). The truth is the only laughs he can conjure up are based off of some baked character who laughs at anything someone says. Rogen has some talent but he needs to separate himself from anything Apatow and focus in on some real comedy rather than his stoner roles. I am just not seeing peoples fascination with Apatow I have yet to see a movie of his that was quality and Knocked Up just continues the trend of unfunny writing that is just used to glorify pot. Expand
  12. Oct 18, 2010
    A cult classic! With laugh-out-loud rock references, an incredbile cast and two men who play off eachother perfectly. The perfect comedy duo. I suppose the film was a little on the short side and its packed with continuity errors, but so what? The bottom line is - it's easily quotable and so funny!
  13. Sep 14, 2010
    Man this movie sucked. There story could have been written by a 10 year old. Dough i love both Jack Black and Dave Grohl, there is no excuse for this movie. I think turned it off 3 times. I would have called Jack and asked for my money back if it didnt borrow it for free from a friend.

1. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Not surprisingly, the pic struggles at times to flesh out even its relatively brief 90-odd-minute duration, but it delivers some genuine if generally low-brow laughs along the way.
  2. Reviewed by: Simon Crook
    For fans, a crowd-surf over Tenacious D’s best bits. For the unbaptised, a novelty movie of a novelty band, big on spirit but in search of a script.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Sticks to formula but delivers some seriously dumb laughs.