7.9

1. JaneJ.
    Oct 8, 2005
    My best friend and I (both women) went to see this last night. Let me tell you the theatre was rolling in laughter. Some parts had me crying from laughing so hard. It just really had us all laughing in the theatre. I am taking my husband next week!
  2. Rev.Rikard
    Oct 8, 2005
    The funniest movie in two years! Steve Carell is the new Steve Martin. He can just stand in place and cause one to chuckle. Though the male friends in this movie appear as adult adolescents, there is enough truth in their characters to reveal the sorry socialization process through which American men must pass. Sex is the most important issue in our lives because many, if not most of us The funniest movie in two years! Steve Carell is the new Steve Martin. He can just stand in place and cause one to chuckle. Though the male friends in this movie appear as adult adolescents, there is enough truth in their characters to reveal the sorry socialization process through which American men must pass. Sex is the most important issue in our lives because many, if not most of us were raised to believe this falllacy. As an American male I easily identified with Carell's character, If we were all gut-level honest we would admit that we desire genuine love more than anything. However, his male friends/counselors allow us to see the ridiculous perceptiions that would make being a forty year old virgin the most dispicable state in which a man can find himself. My spouse laughed as heartily as myself because she recognized that very truth pulsating from these exaggerated characters. This film is more than a comedy about a man finally trying "to get some." It is a disarming film that allows American males to laugh at our sad condition. Expand
  3. LauraM.
    Aug 18, 2005
    Without Carrell at the soft chewy center this film would be just crass. Very smart juvenile humor. An intelligent penis joke.
  4. BARRYW.,jr.
    Aug 20, 2005
    Great movie...lots of fun.sweet, raunchy,crude,and hilarious...truly a good laugh a minute.
  5. ShirleyH.
    Aug 20, 2005
    HYSTERICAL!!! One of the few comedies in recent years surprisingly not reuined by the trailer! Even the chest-waxing scene remains hilarious despite seeing clips of it in the trailer & commercials for weeks!
  6. Matt
    Sep 1, 2005
    Funniest movie in years!!! If you like raunchy, but sweet comedy get out of your seat and go see this movie!!
  7. EdM.
    Sep 6, 2005
    I almost s... myself from laughing so hard!
  8. Judy
    Funny!!!!
  9. JeremyW.
    Jan 2, 2006
    A must have in anyones DVD collection that likes comedy. I was shocked on how funny this movie was. I would not pass this one up at all.
  10. karamh.
    Jan 4, 2006
    It is a very nice movie.
  11. NicR.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Best film every......and it has also given me the confidence to go out with a girl now as i am aslo a 40 year old virgin.
  12. AlanD.
    Aug 30, 2005
    I laughed from beginning to end. If you gave this movie anything less than a seven you are a dull, lifeless being destined for a life of fear and paranoia.
  13. ScottB
    Sep 1, 2005
    Absolutely hilarious. Haven't laughed this much at a movie in a long time. I thought Ebert's review was right on the mark - you ended up being engaged by and caring for Steve Carell's (who was a surprisingly good actor) character.
  14. Jenny
    Sep 2, 2005
    Absolutely hilarious.
  15. TylerG.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Perfect, perfectly written, perfectly acted, everything about this movie was absolutely perfect. the jokes were clever, the story could have easily been just a teen flick to laugh at it's dirty jokes, but it turned out to be so much more than that. Great job Judd, keep em' comin
  16. CherS.
    Nov 4, 2005
    A hoot! And - who doesn't need a real hoot now and again? If you want to lay down the problems at hand, and just laugh and relax your mind, don't miss this funny story!
  17. Nathan
    Dec 13, 2005
    The funniest movie ever!! My wife loved it too!!
  18. TomH.
    Dec 3, 2005
    so!!! underrated this movie should get way more attention as very funny movie.
  19. StevenM.
    Aug 23, 2005
    One of the best endings of the year. oh yeah, and the movie's fantastic too.
  20. AlexS.
    Aug 25, 2005
    Holy crap is it funny, non stop laughs if you don't take this stuff seriously. If you're a prude, prepare to be offended.
  21. SusanM.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Best comedy I have seen in ages, I laughed my butt off!!! I'm actually still laughing today about some of the lines and situations in that movie. They didn't hold anything back, they were totally raunchy and TOTALLY entertaining. Also, it was nice to see the comedy skills of some lesser-known actors being showcased. I would reccommend this movie to anyone over 18 with a good Best comedy I have seen in ages, I laughed my butt off!!! I'm actually still laughing today about some of the lines and situations in that movie. They didn't hold anything back, they were totally raunchy and TOTALLY entertaining. Also, it was nice to see the comedy skills of some lesser-known actors being showcased. I would reccommend this movie to anyone over 18 with a good sense of humour!!! Expand
  22. gregw.
    Aug 31, 2005
    Just may have been the funniest movie's i have ever seen. but i have to warn you the humor in this movie is not for everyone.(people who cant take rude and degrading jokes as jokes).
  23. Emily
    Sep 10, 2005
    absolutely hilarious, i could see it over and over again and still laugh at Steve Carell's uncomfortable charisma.
  24. Rick
    Sep 1, 2005
    I beileve this has been steve carell's and paul rudd's funnies moviesince anchorman. From begining to end this movie mad me laugh so hard i nearly crapped myself. This movie was a laugh fest with great acting from the main and secondary characters. this would make any commedy fan very happy.
  25. DaveF.
    Sep 28, 2005
    Totally tasteless, fal-out-of-your-chair-laughing humor from start to finish.
  26. IsakC.
    Its a real good movie.
  27. Don'tCare
    Sep 9, 2005
    Interesting. Notice how all the bad reviews have been made by women. This movie is hilarious and i really couldn't care about "degrating women" because the entire frickin movie is about how personally strong women are and how hard it is to get close to them. Besides, Steve Carrel is awesome. GO DAILY SHOW!
  28. EricS.
    Apr 21, 2006
    One of the best pictures of 2005. The secret of "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" is that its title hero has a more real, better, less problematic view of sex than any of the hilarious supporting characters. We'll never know how close this film came to getting Oscar nominations in all the major categories, including Best Picture. I suspect it was a close runner-up for all nominations.
  29. DanielV
    Jul 1, 2008
    A movie that at the same time warms my heart and makes me laugh out loud. My favorite Steve Carrell movie yet.
  30. CrystalClark-B.
    Aug 19, 2005
    Steve Carrell is hilarious! I fell in love with his characterization as Brick in Anchorman...and I nearly peed my pants to find out he was getting to star in a movie...and then I see the title: "The 40-Year Old Virgin"! This man's humor is genius...I love stupid humor, and if you love it as well, I encourage people to see this movie. I guarantee you will at times be laughing your Steve Carrell is hilarious! I fell in love with his characterization as Brick in Anchorman...and I nearly peed my pants to find out he was getting to star in a movie...and then I see the title: "The 40-Year Old Virgin"! This man's humor is genius...I love stupid humor, and if you love it as well, I encourage people to see this movie. I guarantee you will at times be laughing your butt off! The very end is the best part....wait no....the whole movie is....just go see for yourself. But prepare yourself, because it is raunchy, but if you can stomach it and have a good sense of stupid humor, then this movie is for you! Expand
  31. JRus
    Aug 19, 2005
    Very funny movie! My face still hurts from laughing.
  32. HB
    Funniest film in years.
  33. JeffK.
    Aug 21, 2005
    This is quite possibly one of the funniest comedies ever made. I was stomping my feet and wiping away my tears through more than half of the movie - it was a non-stop barrage of laughs. If you enjoy quiting lines from Anchorman and Old School, this movie is mandatory viewing.
  34. Rob
    Aug 22, 2005
    Laughed my ass off. Cant remember laughing so much and so hard in a theater.
  35. JohnH.
    Aug 25, 2005
    Definitely one of the funniest comedies i've seen in a long time! Strongly recommended. A fun date movie too!
  36. ShawnB.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Great Movie... VERY FUNNY!
  37. MartynH.
    Sep 11, 2005
    Absolutely hilariously side splitting! Can't remember the last time I laughed as much during a movie! go see it NOW!!!!!
  38. JasonJ.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Great movie it was a very well written comedy and the cast just worked perfectly together. This movies has a lot of repeat value.
  39. KennyR
    Dec 22, 2007
    Instant Comedy Classic. Filled with dynamic and lovable characters, unforgettable scenes and a plethora of one-liners you and your friends will be quoting for years to come. The excellent dialouge entertains you through the whole 2 hrs and 13 mins. This is one of the few movies that I can think of where each and every character is equally likeable and actaully funny. This film should be Instant Comedy Classic. Filled with dynamic and lovable characters, unforgettable scenes and a plethora of one-liners you and your friends will be quoting for years to come. The excellent dialouge entertains you through the whole 2 hrs and 13 mins. This is one of the few movies that I can think of where each and every character is equally likeable and actaully funny. This film should be in anyone's DVD collection, along with Caddyshack, Animal House and Blazzing Saddles. Expand
  40. Mari
    Jan 28, 2007
    Very possibly the funniest move ever made.
  41. EmmaJ.
    Mar 13, 2007
    Loved this film, what a great surprise as was expecting another teen movie comedy and discovered and absolute gem!
  42. RSK
    Mar 8, 2012
    One of the funniest movies ever. It's in the upper-echelon of comedies, if you will. Steve Carell is a genius, and the rest of the guys are hilarious. Great movie.
  43. Mar 28, 2012
    The 40 year old Vrigin is the funniest movie of the decade. If you don't laugh in this movie your are deprerssed. The movie was smart, witty and hilarious. Steve Carell was excellent. One of the best movies of the year.
  44. Nov 28, 2012
    A very competently written, utterly hilarious comedy, with just the right dose of humanity.
  45. MattP.
    Aug 21, 2005
    You have to embrace this movie's inventive crudeness in order to enjoy it. Otherwise you'll end up hating it just like you hated other (great) crude movies. The Big Lebowski comes to mind. But once you get past the numerous penis jokes, The 40-Year Old Virgin is a very sweet, realistic, and hilarious take on the dating world. Steve Carell has more depth and range than I would You have to embrace this movie's inventive crudeness in order to enjoy it. Otherwise you'll end up hating it just like you hated other (great) crude movies. The Big Lebowski comes to mind. But once you get past the numerous penis jokes, The 40-Year Old Virgin is a very sweet, realistic, and hilarious take on the dating world. Steve Carell has more depth and range than I would have ever expected, and yet he never loses the off-the-wall comedic delivery he's deservedly famous for. Definitely the most fun movie I've seen this summer. Expand
  46. CharlieM.
    Aug 20, 2005
    This is the best comedy to come out of Hollywood in years. It was so refreshing to go to the movies and see an original, fresh, laugh 'till you cry flick. Hopefully it will start a trend that will show the studios you don't need one dimensional, seen them once you've seen them 100 times, actors like Vince, Luke and Will to make a comedy a hit. Great stuff!
  47. Rizza
    Sep 5, 2005
    Alessandra... Learn to take a joke... Sorry to say, but guys DO talk like this when they get together. You
  48. MarkO.
    Aug 20, 2005
    Everything you'd expect from Steve Carrell and Judd Apatow and so much more! Of course it's hilarious, but this film also provides excellent character development and a strong storyline that even non-virgins can relate to.
  49. HaslynR.
    Aug 23, 2005
    One of the funniest movies that I have seen in a long time. It's a clever, smart sex comedy which contains plausible characters and situations that are real . I think its much funnier and better written than Wedding Crashers.
  50. JohnK.
    Aug 25, 2005
    If Sheila would have stuck around, she would have noticed that though the film is crude, it turns beautiful somewhere in the middle, and both the moral message and the tone of the movie are spectacularly sweeter than you can think from the "American Pie"-ish previews.
  51. MareD.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Steve Carrell has the best comic timing. I loved the characters. Good flick!
  52. MatthewP.
    Aug 27, 2005
    Best comedy of the year!
  53. MarkB.
    Sep 7, 2005
    Okay, what have we learned from this summer's box office returns? If your movie involves Batman, Darth Vader or penguins, it'll make money; if it's another big, loud, expensive action movie from a director who's known for big, loud expensive action movies, it won't. Best of all, and especially after years of hypocritical, offensive PG-13 fodder like Meet the Okay, what have we learned from this summer's box office returns? If your movie involves Batman, Darth Vader or penguins, it'll make money; if it's another big, loud, expensive action movie from a director who's known for big, loud expensive action movies, it won't. Best of all, and especially after years of hypocritical, offensive PG-13 fodder like Meet the Fockers, the summer of '05 brought with it the return of the honest, R-rated film comedy! It's also extremely interesting to note that while so many female-oriented romcoms, such as Must Love Dogs, The Wedding Date and Little Black Book are rather mean-spirited celebrations of human behavior at its self-centered worst, both Wedding Crashers and The 40-Year-Old Virgin--raunchcoms aimed at a primarily male audience--are genuinely goodhearted, sweet-natured and truly romantic at the core. (Perhaps this is why so many women are flocking to them, too.) Steve Carell, who was memorable in supporting roles in Anchorman and Bruce Almighty, has a bottled-up, Rain Man-like quality that suits him perfectly for the role of Andy, the title character who has missed many sexual opportunities, doesn't feel he'll get any more, and channels his abundant excess energies into video games, comic books and action-figure collecting. (Can you say "sublimation", kids?) It's a real tribute to Carell's and director Judd Apatow's script that, even though it deals in every stereotypical notion of this type of character possible (the only element missing is a fanaticism for either Star Wars or Star Trek, and I'm sure that's only because Lucasfilm and Paramount probably, and perhaps wisely, denied the rights), it also makes Andy refreshingly three-dimensional, appealing and tremendously sympathetic. In fact, the movie's generosity extends to ALL the major characters; it has a lot of fun with Andy's workplace pals, his horny supervisor and numerous potential hookups, but never takes cheap shots at them the way certain comedies revel in doing. (Yes, Rob Schneider, I'm talking to you.) In fact, a major thematic truth in this movie is that everyone in it has, like Andy, been seriously injured in the game of love; Apatow puts Lionel Richie's "Hello" and Asia's "Heat of the Moment" to great use, but could have just as appropriately added REM's "Everybody Hurts" to the soundtrack. Whoever thought of casting Catherine Keener as Trish, the around-the-block free spirit who could complete Andy emotionally as well as sexually, is a genius. I've always admired Keener's witheringly sarcastic persona in movies like Being John Malkovich, but this change of pace role looks great on her; the woman's smile could've lit up all of New York City during the 1965 blackout. The Greek chorus of Andy's coworkers (Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, Romany Malco) is terrific too: endeavoring to "fix" their new friend, they provide the perfect working illustration of "the blind leading the blind"; Andy may be totally ignorant as to the mysteries of a woman's body, but these guys are equally clueless as to her mind and heart. Lest I mislead you into thinking that a mainstream movie with this much intelligence and insight can't possibly be funny too, let me assure you that Virgin grabs you from the first, unforgettable early-morning visual gag, breaks into ramming speed (so to speak) during Rogen's monologue about what he did in Mexico over the weekend, and absolutely never slows down. And Apatow's enthusiasm for loading the fringes of his film with wonderful, peripheral characters and situations (Andy's upstairs neighbors, a lovely bit in Trish's store involving a customer and a pair of disco boots) guarantees The 40-Year-Old Virgin to be one of those experiences that you, like Andy, will enjoy even more the second time! Expand
  54. jannef.
    Jan 7, 2006
    It´s a bizzare movie, and i love bizzare.
  55. JeremyM.
    Apr 3, 2006
    this movie was awsome and very funny it kept you laughing and enjoying every minute yes i would say its not for everyone because there are some vulgar statements but I liked it and so did my family i never thought it was going to be as good as it was but i was wrong i love the movie.
  56. RandyM.
    Aug 29, 2006
    The 40 Year Old Virgin is utterly laugh out loud hilarious. Filled with some very clever comedy and a great main character, The 40 Year Old Virgin is the comedy to beat all comedies.
  57. TrentS.
    Nov 9, 2005
    Better than the lame trailer made it out to be.
  58. DanC.
    Dec 18, 2005
    Both consistently clever and laugh-out-loud funny, it's a genuinely enjoyable movie experience. It's also smart enough to be realistically crude yet genuinely humane at the same time. Like most men, the film may crave sex, but in the end, it's looking for love. Special bonus points for the sublimely ridiculous (in the best sense of the word) musical finale.
  59. StevenW.
    Dec 3, 2005
    This is a great movie. I couldn't stop laughing.
  60. PonR.
    Dec 4, 2005
    Funny all the way. Maybe could have been shorter but definitely kept the laughs coming without resorting to cheap shots most of the time. A pleasant surprise.
  61. CristieE.
    Aug 17, 2005
    Great movie! I got to see this movie on a sneak preview. Honestly, this is not a movie I would have picked to see after watching the trailer. But hey, it was free. I was shocked at how funny it was. It wasn't over the top on raunchiness like Soriety Boys and it wasn't stupid like 40 days (or whatever that movie was called where the guy didn't have sex for 40 days.) It was Great movie! I got to see this movie on a sneak preview. Honestly, this is not a movie I would have picked to see after watching the trailer. But hey, it was free. I was shocked at how funny it was. It wasn't over the top on raunchiness like Soriety Boys and it wasn't stupid like 40 days (or whatever that movie was called where the guy didn't have sex for 40 days.) It was an amazing "LOL" movie. I can't wait to own it on DVD. Expand
  62. JustinN
    Sep 1, 2005
    Friggin' hilarious. The second half of the movie kind of drags a bit but makes up for it with a great song and dance number, as well as some decent character development. Keep in mind though, the only character that gets much development is the virgin. Just about every other character is just there's for comedy's sake, minus the love interest.
  63. AmyA.
    Sep 13, 2005
    I love this film. One of the funniest films of a very long time the whole cinema was in up roar. I love the ending I wont give it away its was hilarious. If your in for a good laugh i recommend this film!!
  64. JohnR.
    Sep 3, 2005
    Great, Great Hilarious movie.
  65. mikeb.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Very well written and hilarious.
  66. masoudb.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Very funny.
  67. KatrinaC.
    Nov 29, 2005
    The best and funnyest movie ever.
  68. AdanT.
    Dec 17, 2005
    It's actually a very good movie, I went in thinking it would be a Wedding Crashers rip-off.Its not.
  69. PeteT
    Oct 22, 2005
    The funniest American movie since Team America.
  70. JamesB.
    Dec 28, 2005
    Excellent movie, loved every minute. A quality script, fresh cast and expert direction make this film worthy of standing side-by-side with modern masterpeices such as Old School, Ancherman, Zoolander, Dodgeball, Wedding Crashers and Starsky and Hutch.
  71. MonekkaMcB
    Aug 18, 2005
    So funny!!!! One of the best comedies I've seen in a while!!! Women will love it too!
  72. JoeyS.
    Aug 21, 2005
    Magnificently funny, I nearly pissed myself with laughter. Everybody in the movie has some great moments, the gags always go over well, and it's actually got a heart. Also, the ending sealed the deal for me, avoiding some sappy druck, it was surprisingly clever and hysterical.
  73. GrantN.
    Jan 17, 2006
    Steve Carrell is absolutly hilarious in the this sex and profanity laden comedy about a man who like the title says has yet to have sex at age 40. It at times certainly is in bad taste, however Carell makes the movie just as Johnny Depp made Pirates of the Carabein.
  74. S.Gold
    Jan 25, 2006
    The best comedy of the year (except for Pride & Prejudace), it is very believable, very funny, and had me smile the whole time.
  75. DaveC.
    Mar 28, 2006
    This is a great movie. It is definitely not for everyone though. If you are at all offended by vulgar language you need to pass on this one. It's meant to be offensive, and it is. But the script embraces the offensiveness and makes the viewer laugh at the absurdity. I rented this movie on the recommendation of a friend thinking I would hate it but it was a welcome surprise. Maybe This is a great movie. It is definitely not for everyone though. If you are at all offended by vulgar language you need to pass on this one. It's meant to be offensive, and it is. But the script embraces the offensiveness and makes the viewer laugh at the absurdity. I rented this movie on the recommendation of a friend thinking I would hate it but it was a welcome surprise. Maybe going into it with low expectations is the key to really enjoying it. Expand
  76. JonR.
    Feb 11, 2007
    One of the funnier movies that I have watched in a LONG time.
  77. Sep 3, 2012
    Very funny. Not sure I would recommend it to young viewers, but it brings everything a comedy should. it was great because it went where no one else would go. It took chances and that payed off.
  78. May 7, 2013
    Has taken me a while to actually see this film as I'm not a huge Steve Carrell fan, but I surprisingly really enjoyed it. Clever little film that can probably relate to a lot of people in a lot of ways (not just the obvious 'virgin' tag). Steve does a great job as Andy, but the cast as a whole are all very funny and entertaining. It's probably up there as my favourite film from Apatow'sHas taken me a while to actually see this film as I'm not a huge Steve Carrell fan, but I surprisingly really enjoyed it. Clever little film that can probably relate to a lot of people in a lot of ways (not just the obvious 'virgin' tag). Steve does a great job as Andy, but the cast as a whole are all very funny and entertaining. It's probably up there as my favourite film from Apatow's films he has released. Overall a solid comedy flick that I would be surprised if you haven't seen! Expand
  79. Nov 22, 2014
    The 40 Year Old Virgin is one of the better comedies of modern times. Steve Carell is great in what is probably his most notable role. Paul Rudd was great as well and this is the movie that really put Seth Rogen on the map. I love Seth Rogen in this film wearing his classic album tshirts. This movie is the first in a slew of perfect Judd Apatow comedy films followed by Knocked Up and This is 40.
  80. Roy
    Sep 5, 2005
    I haven't had as many down to the bone laughs as I got in this movie in many years. Some extremely funny stuff and I loved the parody of The Exorcist. I found Andy's love interest to not be a very good actress and as the end of the movie shifts over to their relationship, it loses pacing. The first half is a 10 however.
  81. hootersm.
    Nov 10, 2005
    Hoot hoot hoot hoot hoot.
  82. WallyS.
    Dec 6, 2005
    One of the years most funniest films, Steve Carrell reveals himself capable of being the next Jim Carrey, and capable enough of choosing the right script, nailed by the right director.
  83. Alex
    Oct 4, 2005
    Very funny, had some very funny scenes.
  84. DevynS.
    Aug 19, 2005
    This Movie was very Humorous, I actually had tears coming out of my eyes at one point (laughing so hard). Steve Carell is very funny. If you Liked and Laughed at" The Wedding Crashers" you will like this movie ...Actually you might laugh at this one a bit more !
  85. MichaelD.
    Aug 21, 2005
    Carrell is the next Will Farrell in terms of his comic niche that blossoms into a beautiful, crass, romantic, sincere and damn funny performance in this movie. I'd recommend it to anyone, period.
  86. Danb.
    Top-notch character study.
  87. KevinJ
    Aug 2, 2007
    I really could have enjoyed this movie if I hadn't watched it with my parents. It was too sexually profane to watch with parents. I got that i-shouldn't-be-doing-this feeling the whole way through this movie...until the ending of course. My parents never gave me the "birds and bees" talk. I had to find that stuff out through porn (the best way to learn). It was a funny movie I really could have enjoyed this movie if I hadn't watched it with my parents. It was too sexually profane to watch with parents. I got that i-shouldn't-be-doing-this feeling the whole way through this movie...until the ending of course. My parents never gave me the "birds and bees" talk. I had to find that stuff out through porn (the best way to learn). It was a funny movie that does, in fact, express a good point: today's society pressures people so much to lose their virginity. You see this in movies and t.v. shows constantly. Life isn't all about sex: the creating of it is, but the living of it isn't. Expand
  88. MikeG.
    Nov 12, 2005
    Not the funniest comedy ever, but a lot of laughs, a star-making turn by Carell, and an excellent supporting cast. The movie is winning, though, because its all heart in the end, avoiding the easy way out of using the title character as a never ending gimmick. There are some scenes in this movie that people will be quoting and talking about for years.
  89. PierreL.
    Nov 8, 2005
    Great performances, very well written, and funny at all time!
  90. DamienT.
    Oct 5, 2005
    To be completely honest I wasn't expecting much from this. While I loved Steve Carell in Bruce Almighty, he really didn't grab me in the American remake of The Office. Though, I came out of the cinema with a smile on my face. This film provides so many laughs and has such embarrassing situations which Carell seems to be perfect at in this. You feel his pain but can't help To be completely honest I wasn't expecting much from this. While I loved Steve Carell in Bruce Almighty, he really didn't grab me in the American remake of The Office. Though, I came out of the cinema with a smile on my face. This film provides so many laughs and has such embarrassing situations which Carell seems to be perfect at in this. You feel his pain but can't help laughing. I loved this film, it's got plenty of laughs and a few lessons in life hidden there beneath the comedy. Expand
  91. Hillary
    Aug 29, 2005
    Yes, some of the characters are vapid and empty, but so are a lot of people in real life--why are people so surprised when one is on screen? Minus 2 points for the degradation of women, but being that is largely not the focus of this film, it is one of the funniest movies in a long time.
  92. matta.
    Sep 1, 2005
    Notice how women are the only ones bashing this movie, and that makes sense-there is no way that I would take my girlfriend to see this or recommend it to her. Pretty vulgar stuff, but hilarious. The best comedy of the year so far and one of the best of the last few years. Some of the jokes don't work all that well, but there are more than enough that do. Steve Carrel has been solid Notice how women are the only ones bashing this movie, and that makes sense-there is no way that I would take my girlfriend to see this or recommend it to her. Pretty vulgar stuff, but hilarious. The best comedy of the year so far and one of the best of the last few years. Some of the jokes don't work all that well, but there are more than enough that do. Steve Carrel has been solid in whatever he has been in up to now (especially The Office and Anchorman) but this is his obvious breakthrough role, and he nails it. Not for all tastes, but if you like your comedy a little raunchy (but also very smart) then this movie is for you. Expand
  93. DavidA.
    Sep 18, 2005
    It's a very funny movie and I recomend it. I liked the ending. If you're looking for a good movie to pass a good time go ahead and watch it.
  94. C.B.Browne
    Sep 20, 2005
    Very funny. best ending ever.
  95. RT
    Sep 21, 2005
    Hilarious. A must-watch.
  96. OS11-
    Sep 9, 2005
    Okay, it's worth a solid 8. Cute flick with plenty of naughty language and situations. This film will hold up well and could become somewhat of a "classic". I counted about 60 funny moments which is high. A few goofy sections that didn't add to the film but it all fits together and worth seeing in a theater with a "live" crowd.
  97. RobertB.
    Jan 12, 2006
    I would question the intellectual level of anybody who might watch a movie titled "The 40 Year Old Virgin" and expect something other than variations on sex jokes, racial jokes and gay jokes. No, this movie is not high art. It's rather low brow, but unlike many low brow movies, it is funny, and it does have a heart. Steve Carrell's character is depicted as the pathetic loser I would question the intellectual level of anybody who might watch a movie titled "The 40 Year Old Virgin" and expect something other than variations on sex jokes, racial jokes and gay jokes. No, this movie is not high art. It's rather low brow, but unlike many low brow movies, it is funny, and it does have a heart. Steve Carrell's character is depicted as the pathetic loser that often litter this genre. He's actually a real, intelligent person (if somewhat exaggerated) whose situation is not depicted as being really any worse than anybody else's in the movie, except that his issue happens to be the primary focus of the film. I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected. Expand
  98. EdS.
    Feb 26, 2006
    Very funny, and the romance between the two leads was very real, and the ending was perfect for the movie.
  99. S.M.
    Aug 21, 2005
    Funniest comedy of the summer. Beats Wedding Crashers for sure.
  100. ScottY.
    Aug 22, 2005
    It's funnier than Anchorman. I haven't seen Wedding Crashers, so I cannot rate it against that movie. My cheeks hurt at the end of watching this movie due to laughing so much. While it starts off with the expected co-workers making jokes of the main character when they find out he is a virgin, they then each offer their own dating advice and help in order to get the character to It's funnier than Anchorman. I haven't seen Wedding Crashers, so I cannot rate it against that movie. My cheeks hurt at the end of watching this movie due to laughing so much. While it starts off with the expected co-workers making jokes of the main character when they find out he is a virgin, they then each offer their own dating advice and help in order to get the character to eventually have sex. There are a couple of really memorable scenes such as Steve Carrell getting his chest waxed (for real) and a scene whereby his date's daughter walks in ..... Expand

Steve Carell, best known as a team player on "The Daily Show," "The Office" and such movies as "Anchorman," earns top-banana status as Andy. He is flat-out hilarious.
  2. Sticking to one joke in an unconscionably long film makes for a very stale, witless and repetitive comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Crude, sophomorically homophobic but frequently funny, pic also overstays its welcome a bit and indulges in some juvenile excesses. All told, though, The 40 Year Old Virgin delivers enough belly laughs.