Universal Pictures | Release Date: March 4, 2011
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 409 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleJun 21, 2016
The Adjustment Bureau is a stylish sci-fi romance thriller from director George Nolfi based on Phillip K. Dick's story. Though I have not really loved previous Dick adaptations, The Adjustment Bureau really worked for me. The ending is aThe Adjustment Bureau is a stylish sci-fi romance thriller from director George Nolfi based on Phillip K. Dick's story. Though I have not really loved previous Dick adaptations, The Adjustment Bureau really worked for me. The ending is a little lackluster, but until then, the film is romantic, thrilling, and really far out there with a fantastically executed and compelling concept. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt have good chemistry with one another and really play the role of two people "meant for each other" very well, especially against all of the odds. Anthony Mackie turns in a cool and calculated performance, as does John Slattery as the unflappable agent. While, as I said, the ending falters a touch by being a little too neat, the proceeding hour and a half is so good, it is easy to look past that given the well executed premise that will continue to thrill you in and of itself for the entire runtime. Expand
YorkManApr 19, 2016
If all a film needed was a good idea, then The Adjustment Bureau (TAB) would get 10/10......
Unfortunately, a good idea is somewhat meaningless if the narrative that (eventually) explains it is unbelievably forced, and the resolution is so utterly empty that you have more questions than answers.

So, TAB has a great premise, but doesn't really run with it (no pun intended, as the film devotes considerable run-time to people running), it's merely hyperbole which on one hand you can understand.... But on the other hand comes across as trying to be (far) too clever for its own good.

It's not a bad film, by any means. Matt Damon is dependable as always, Emily Blunt smoulders as her ample cleavage demands all your focus, Anthony Mackie provides the 'get out of jail free' card that the ending so heavily depends upon, and British stalwart Terence Stamp steals every scene he's in.
The direction is pretty much by the numbers, in terms of how the script requires things to appear on screen, but it could have been so much more adventurous in how it visualised the location hopping antics that drive the finale.
Musically, the score is unmemorable. I've just finished watching the film, and can't remember any of the music that was in it!

Overall...... If you've not seen it, definitely check it out. It's worth a watch, and it's entertaining enough. It just doesn't scale the heights that it could (and probably should) have reached. Which is a shame.
Meth-dudeFeb 29, 2016
The movie was different,interesting,entertaining and well acted.It's original story and it's unpredictable scenario made a wonderful sci-fi/action movie.
FilmQueenNov 21, 2015
I love Philip K. Dick's stories and their movie adaptations. This one might not be my favourite,it's a bit too centered around romance for my taste, but it's a good film.
beingryanjudeAug 24, 2014
Clever, clever, clever. Thought-provoking and enthralling. The Adjustment Bureau takes some familiar concepts and rolls them into a new original dimension.
ThegodfathersonDec 15, 2013
It's possible that The Adjustment Bureau is flashier than it is meaningful, and certainly the busy third act belies some of the confident promise of the film's earlier parts. But the movie does not look or feel like anything else, somethingIt's possible that The Adjustment Bureau is flashier than it is meaningful, and certainly the busy third act belies some of the confident promise of the film's earlier parts. But the movie does not look or feel like anything else, something that cannot be taken for granted in a time when even original sci-fi ideas feel wrung out and hollow. It's sci-fi for romantics and believers, something Dick might have scoffed at but more than welcome before the next dystopian apocalypse film comes along. Expand
jack977Oct 7, 2013
A high concept film realized on screen in a rather underwhelming manner, Adjustment Bureau suffers from the occasional clunky dialogue and noticeable tonal inconsistencies. It however benefits from the strong chemistry between Damon andA high concept film realized on screen in a rather underwhelming manner, Adjustment Bureau suffers from the occasional clunky dialogue and noticeable tonal inconsistencies. It however benefits from the strong chemistry between Damon and Blunt, and Phillip K. Dick's original and inventive story. Expand
MovieGuysSep 20, 2013
Interesting concept, and pretty good execution, actually. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt have some chemistry, and it shows throughout the film. Originality is definitely on the movie's side here, and the ideas and overall craftsmanship of theInteresting concept, and pretty good execution, actually. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt have some chemistry, and it shows throughout the film. Originality is definitely on the movie's side here, and the ideas and overall craftsmanship of the film are to be noted. Expand
BrianMcCriticJun 2, 2013
One of the year's most underrated films. The strong chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt along with a very interesting sci-fi story makes this film a top ten of 2011.
Goddessof_BlahMar 17, 2013
If the film didn't star Matt Damon I would have to admit, alas, that I would have dismissed it as an absurd sifi with philosophical pretensions. However, having finished my book and the plane's other onflight entertainment failing to pique myIf the film didn't star Matt Damon I would have to admit, alas, that I would have dismissed it as an absurd sifi with philosophical pretensions. However, having finished my book and the plane's other onflight entertainment failing to pique my interest I decided to give this film a chance.

And I'm extremely glad that I did. The plot isn't too involved, nor did it have me questioning topics such as the profound meaning of life, alternate worlds, freewill, fate, destiny and such (although some people I know did feel that it questioned everything they did). However, while I watched the film I didn't think "oh what a silly plot" as it was clever enough to be entertaining, it possessed the capacity to hold you in suspense, it had action, and a certain underlying depth so that you felt connected to the characters as well as enough sentiment to be romantic without being gushy. The performance by both actors was extremely well, particularly the chemistry. I believe it was this that really brought to film alive and gave credit to the plot. The romance really did save this film. Generally with these genres when romance is added it's never well thought out and is a sort of byproduct carelessly thrown in. But in this film the chemistry between the actors really brings out the film's plot and supersedes the negatives.
Tss5078Feb 24, 2013
First time Writer/Director George Nolfi made an excellent choice in picking this old Phillip K. Dick story to adapt for the big screen. With a Dick story, you know to expect certain things. A love story, some really cool special effects, andFirst time Writer/Director George Nolfi made an excellent choice in picking this old Phillip K. Dick story to adapt for the big screen. With a Dick story, you know to expect certain things. A love story, some really cool special effects, and an ending that can lead you anywhere. The Adjustment Bureau doesn't disappoint, following the Dick model to the letter, the story is solid, unique, and imaginative. The lead, Matt Damon, gives you exactly what you'd expect out of him. Emily Blunt along side, gives an equally strong performance. The one knock on the film has to be its single mindedness. The objective never changes and the Congressman's love for Elise, a woman he hardly knows, is borderline obsessive. It is a little slow and narrow minded, but overall it's a great story and far from predictable. Expand
worleyjamersDec 7, 2012
I absolutely loved this film! I expected this to be a good movie, but it was nothing like what I expected. This is not the sci-fi/thriller/mystery Inception-ish film that I believed it to be. It is definitely a romantic thriller, and aI absolutely loved this film! I expected this to be a good movie, but it was nothing like what I expected. This is not the sci-fi/thriller/mystery Inception-ish film that I believed it to be. It is definitely a romantic thriller, and a brilliant one at that.

Based off of the 1954 short story, the story is one that easily attracts it's audience. The story in itself is interesting and attractive, but I mostly enjoy the fact that it has elements that attract many different audiences. It delivers as a thriller/romance/sci-fi genre film, but it also could serve as a deep character study. This film shas very good character development. Many films rarely tap into all the genres at the same time, so The Adjustment Bureau was a unique treat.

I really enjoyed the cinematography and special effects. This film has been compared to Inception, and I actually agree a little bit. I found the whole "reality" vs "bureau" world concept very intriging. The special effects that went along with that were also very unique and appealing. The different doors opening and closing were cool too. I also thought the setting and scenery was very nice. The cinematography gave a very dark and gray tone. It may go over looked by some, but I thought the appearance and tone matched up perfectly with the depth of the story.

The cast was phenomenal. Obviously Matt Damon and Emily Blunt give great performances as I expected, but the supporting cast was also very strong and convincing. I really enjoyed Anthony Mackie, Micheal Kelly, and John Slattery. The supporting actors in the Bureau were highly convincing in their portrayals of the creepy, emotionless Bureau.

Also, I found the screenplay to be very well written. There were a few weak moments here and there, but they are scarce. Overall, I thought the dialogue between the characters was great and really allowed the story to progress. It also made me love Emily Blunt's character. The absolute best asset of the film has to be the chemistry between Damon and Blunt. Their relationship on screen has to be one of the strongest relationships captured on film in recent years. I really felt the emotion between them. It really is hard to explain, but this film is easily a love story, easily.

Basically, my ranting can't describe how much I liked this film. I really really loved it. No, it's not the best movie have I ever seen, but I think it's so different and offers so much more than so many other "good" movies. Definitely the best film of the first half of 2011. I enjoyed every second of this film and I recommend it to everyone.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Its ending may be a little phoned-in, but the rest of the movie - particularly that of Matt Damon and Emily Blunt - is surprisingly intriguing.
jasherJul 15, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a sci-fi film that mostly work in its universe, and is mostly relatable to ours. That is really all I can ask for in a sci-fi film. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt make a great couple; there is obvious chemistry between them. This film really makes you think about fate and choices. My only problem with the plot is how much caution Blunt's character throws to the wind to be with Damon's character at the end of the film; it just seemed a bit unrealistic for her to trust him THAT much. That is the only point that keeps this film from getting a perfect 10 in my book. Expand
rotkuApr 30, 2012
Clever, well written and well acted. The adjustment bureau is a sci fi classic full of ripple effects and paradox moments. Damon is believable as the perplexed wannabe senator and although the ending is a bit weak I thoroughly enjoyed it.
AwesomeReviewerMar 26, 2012
The movie asks the question, â
RyanPrattSep 12, 2011
Buy-it - Is Matt Damon married? Because if so, he might be having an affair with Emily Blunt. These two stars light the screen on fire and their burning chemistry is reason enough to see this film about politics, life and love and whether orBuy-it - Is Matt Damon married? Because if so, he might be having an affair with Emily Blunt. These two stars light the screen on fire and their burning chemistry is reason enough to see this film about politics, life and love and whether or not we control our own destiny. Expand
MoviebuffreviewAug 20, 2011
While it is not for everybody, The Adjustment Bureau is the biggest surprise of the year thanks to its excellent story, an A plus cast, and some awesome drama that pushes the story along satisfyingly. The ending is also fantastic.
cabritaAug 8, 2011
Another novel idea from the marvelous Philip K Dick however the movie falls short of it's novel. I found the adjustment bureau lacking in certain explanation but you don't have very much time to ponder this because you are being brought on aAnother novel idea from the marvelous Philip K Dick however the movie falls short of it's novel. I found the adjustment bureau lacking in certain explanation but you don't have very much time to ponder this because you are being brought on a roller coaster ride of thrills that is worth watching. Expand
Edward9630Jul 23, 2011
The Adjustment Bureau Is A Very Good Film. It Was Interesting And Was Enjoyable To Watch. I Like Matt Damon As An Actor And He Did A Great Performance In This Film. I Must Say For George Nolfi To Direct His First Film He Did A Pretty GoodThe Adjustment Bureau Is A Very Good Film. It Was Interesting And Was Enjoyable To Watch. I Like Matt Damon As An Actor And He Did A Great Performance In This Film. I Must Say For George Nolfi To Direct His First Film He Did A Pretty Good Job. I Would Give This Film A High Matinee! Expand
RTNORDSTROMJul 11, 2011
An entertaining battle between faith and paranoia which is rushed into a silly romantic ending. With great performances from Matt Damon and Emily Blunt its up to the viewer if the romance and thrills are enough to keep them captivated.
jdrandall38Jul 5, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not the most memorable movie Ive seen, but i like this genre. The thing this movie lacked was a twist at the end. It was pretty much straight forward (revealing the meaning halfway through), I think they could have suspended the movie longer than they did. All-In-All, a decent flick. Expand
beelzie14Jul 3, 2011
Absolutely loved this film. Very much similar to Inception but with added romance. Damon just looks and smiles like a Senator so this was a role made for him, whilst Blunt really blew me away in this with her impactful acting and deepAbsolutely loved this film. Very much similar to Inception but with added romance. Damon just looks and smiles like a Senator so this was a role made for him, whilst Blunt really blew me away in this with her impactful acting and deep character. I wanted to give this a 5 but the only thing which brought it down was a bit of the hammy acting by John Slattery (which was disappointing considering his strength in Mad Men). Another strong performance comes from Anthony Mackie. If you like a film which makes you think a bit, then this is a must watch Expand
chappydbozJun 2, 2011
i loved this movie.. it leaves you with so many thoughts an the pace is nice throughout. the acting in wonderful.. free will vs destiny explored in a fresh and engaging way.. along with a believable love story. good stuff
Tdi7457May 14, 2011
A fantastically crafted sci-fi drama. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt's chemistry fuses perfectly with the script. I had a strong sense of adrenaline in certain scenes and felt i was sitting through a great episode of The Twilight Zone. Bravo!
ThalesKnightMay 13, 2011
Other people have said the romance between the two was poor, but I personally saw it quite a bit. Perhaps these people don't know what real chemistry is and only have other movies to base this opinion on? Honestly, it's really hard to to seeOther people have said the romance between the two was poor, but I personally saw it quite a bit. Perhaps these people don't know what real chemistry is and only have other movies to base this opinion on? Honestly, it's really hard to to see it.
Other than that, I understand the ending does fall somewhat flat, but it's a decent movie none-the-less. We actually saw it in theater on the release day and found it to be entertaining. There are plot holes if you dig too deep into the "how", but if you sit back and take a ride, it will be an enjoyable one.
illwill_cptMay 1, 2011
The fallacies and philosphy by "worldly men" concerning free will (1 Cor 3:19). Thou it is fictitious, this movie relates the relationship between mankind and angels, in order to capture the minds of people and mislead those who do not readThe fallacies and philosphy by "worldly men" concerning free will (1 Cor 3:19). Thou it is fictitious, this movie relates the relationship between mankind and angels, in order to capture the minds of people and mislead those who do not read the bible. God does not force an individual to accept either destiny, and in that sense he allows to every intelligent creature the exercise of free will. It is not denied by predestinarians that men are free moral agents, yet their own teachings certainly deny it. Free will is a blessing for man and makes him human, rather than a ROBOT. Thou it is just a movie, be careful if your spiritual minded (Eph 4:14; Rev 12:9-12) Expand
cleverwabbitApr 21, 2011
Great movie, nice mix of sci fi, true love and the bigger picture. It is more of a romance than an action movie. I think if you went to see it for car chases and people being killed you will be disappointed. But it is a nice testament to loveGreat movie, nice mix of sci fi, true love and the bigger picture. It is more of a romance than an action movie. I think if you went to see it for car chases and people being killed you will be disappointed. But it is a nice testament to love at first sight and being destined to find your soul mate. Expand
ShiiraApr 7, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In Hirozaku Kore-eda's "Wandafuru Raifu", the recently dead get to make a movie that recounts their happiest moment which will play in an endless loop for all of eternity. Heaven is a short film. But before the person makes it to this celluloidal after life, the subject must sit through pre-production meetings conducted by angels, who look about as ordinary as Harry(Anthony Mackie) does, as well as the other fedora-ed men in "The Adjustment Bureau". The interview process, in which the vignettes are collected for the subsequent shootings, are held at a sort of way station, a decrepit-looking building that resembles a social services institution, the anti-thesis of the usual iconography associated with heaven. Heaven has an indie aesthetic. Angels with harps, the pearly gates, clouds- those overused tropes are too Hollywood. "Wandafuru Raifu", in its eccentric depiction of the hereafter, stood apart from the usual religious genre fare with the truly radical idea that our creator is actually an omnipotent studio head. Heaven is art, seemingly without any ties to organized religion. The same heaven-as-bureaucracy angle is also prevalent in "The Adjustment Bureau", where heaven has an annex on Earth which looks conspicuously like an insurance company building. When David Norris(Matt Damon) discovers that the world is being micro-managed by "case workers"(read: angels), then defies their grand plans for him by his insistence on pursuing Elise(Emily Blunt), a woman he was supposed to meet just once, the men in hats "kick" the case "upstairs". The "chairman"(read: God) send down an archangel-type named Thompson(Terrence Stamp), who informs the senator hopeful that free-will doesn't exist, only the appearance of it. The men who work for the Adjustment Bureau function as architects of predestination. In the Kore-eda film, free will, likewise, turns out to be an illusion, as well, since the movie that the people are collaborating with god on requires a script. A script suggests that everything is written out ahead of time, a collection of life experiences that has a beginning, a middle, and an end. For David, his happiest memory(were he an interviewee in "Wandafuru Raifu") may very well be the moment he says, "I love you," to Elise on the rooftop, kissing his muse as if it was for the last time, so he kisses her hard, while the bureaucrats approach the couple with the intent of "resetting" their mental faculties. Prior to being trapped on the terrace overlooking New York City, the fleeting lovers, in a sense, make their own movie, as they ingress into new locales with each turn of the knob, like editors, surveying the city in the blink of an eye. Their whirlwind jaunt through the urban landscape can be construed as a metaphor for how love has its own velocity when you're with the one you love. Whipping through Yankee Stadium, Times Square, and Ellis Island, time seems to move too fast. Time just slips away. Time passes you by. If David and Elise kiss each other deeply enough, the future amnesiacs hope that perhaps some vestige of their affinity for each other will survive. Maybe they'll find each other, similar to how Joel Barish(Jim Carrey) and Clementine Kruczynski(Kate Winslet) think they're meeting for the first time on that train to Montauk at the outset of Michel Gondry's "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Lucky for the politician and the dancer, but unlucky for the fortunes of the film, their undying love never gets tested, because "the chairman" is a Judeo-Christian figure, whereas in the Gondry film, traces of Buddhism can be detected in the way the victimized Lacuna customers are able to recognize each other, which subtly suggests reincarnation, a concept commonly associated with eastern religions. The ending to "The Adjustment Bureau", in what is otherwise an entertaining mish-mash of reasonably sophisticated sci-fi and high romance, is sort of a cheat(or maybe not). God is perfect, right? Hypothetically, when does God ever change his mind? In Carl Reiner's "Oh, God", George Burns, playing our heavenly father, admits to making the pits in avocados too big, but he lets the imperfection remain as is. After forty years of presiding over earth under a working predestination model, now the chairman wants to give free will one more try? C'mon, now. The last time people were entrusted with free will, as previously stated earlier in the film by Thompson, the Cuban Missile Crisis occurred, bringing the world to the brink of nuclear war. What if God didn't issue this edict? When Harry is summoned to the Chairman's chambers, what if the angel staged a coup, and took over the reigns of power? Maybe the Salon writer is right. Maybe Harry is the devil. Expand
DreadPirateApr 4, 2011
A very pleasant way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon. The easy chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt and the somewhat cheesy but thought provoking idea that maybe there is such a thing as fate make this a very enjoyable movie. KindA very pleasant way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon. The easy chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt and the somewhat cheesy but thought provoking idea that maybe there is such a thing as fate make this a very enjoyable movie. Kind of fun to think that the folks "upstairs" are not so perfect after all, though I might think that serious church goers might be turned off a bit. The movie has the right balance of tension, humor and emotion. Add in elements from the Matrix and The Princess Bride ("true love") and you get one fine movie. I saw this with my wife and she also gives it two big thumbs up. Expand
jstrickler872Apr 3, 2011
Now this movie is interesting. Has some mild humor, some mild action. But overall, is a stunning thrill ride. The movie is how nobody has free will, even if you think you do, nobody does. Everyone is being controlled by these "Men with theNow this movie is interesting. Has some mild humor, some mild action. But overall, is a stunning thrill ride. The movie is how nobody has free will, even if you think you do, nobody does. Everyone is being controlled by these "Men with the Hats". But one of the men in the hats slips up. On purpose or accident? This movie is a Romantic thriller. Matt Damon, doing what he does best, being an amazing performer, is the guy who fights against these "Men with the Hat". It's a weird movie, but entertaining and interesting, because it's something new, never seen before. If i'm not mistaking, the movie was written by a rookie. For a rookie this is some amazing work. Keep it up. Expand
Lopez17Mar 25, 2011
Picture your life as perfect as anyone could have ever imagined. You have a great high-ranking job you have subordinates that think the world of you everything is going perfectly your life could never have been better if someone had plannedPicture your life as perfect as anyone could have ever imagined. You have a great high-ranking job you have subordinates that think the world of you everything is going perfectly your life could never have been better if someone had planned it yourself. What if someone had planned everything in your life right down to the T; What if what you are meant to do is part of some higher plan to shape the course of coming events to avoid a disaster or to change the flow of history? What would you do if you knew that a group of mysterious men who monitor the whole world are trying to keep order and peace has nudged everything you have ever worked for in your entire life in the right direction? Would you try to change your destiny? Or can your destiny really be altered at all? Can your fate be predetermined to have an outcome that benefits the whole world or would you fight back to change their plan to create your own destiny, to create your own fate to create your destiny not controlled by a higher authority. Would you fight for that? Would you fight for your freedom, fight for youâ Expand
papajon555Mar 22, 2011
Honestly i went in the movie knowing it was going to be good...but not this good.This movie was OUTSTANDING from begining to end.Matt Damon is incredible(as usual) and the story is really amazing...makes you see life differently.I put aHonestly i went in the movie knowing it was going to be good...but not this good.This movie was OUTSTANDING from begining to end.Matt Damon is incredible(as usual) and the story is really amazing...makes you see life differently.I put a nine(9) on the score but its more like a 9.5. Expand
TonyMar 20, 2011
A fun, breezy genre hybrid. Parts sci-fi, romance, and thriller, The Adjustment Bureau has a light tone and does not appear to aspire to challenge its more complex sci-fi counterparts.
juliankleissMar 20, 2011
This movie will surprise the hell out of you. Don't let anyone tell you about the plot. Actually, don't even watch the trailer! The movie starts out a little bit unpromising, but gets better and better and better. I cannot remember the lastThis movie will surprise the hell out of you. Don't let anyone tell you about the plot. Actually, don't even watch the trailer! The movie starts out a little bit unpromising, but gets better and better and better. I cannot remember the last time I was that amazed by a movie. Highly recommended. Watch it! Expand
jjnoahjamesMar 19, 2011
One of the best movies of the year. Let me explain why. The Adjustment Bureau starts with a local Election taking place in New York city. In which the main character, played by Damon, is being praised. Later on he meets a women he findsOne of the best movies of the year. Let me explain why. The Adjustment Bureau starts with a local Election taking place in New York city. In which the main character, played by Damon, is being praised. Later on he meets a women he finds amazing. Throughout the movie these two fight some unknown to possibly find their love.

What makes the Adjustment great first is the acting of Damon and Emily Blunt. They have amazing chemistry some of the best in a while. And from a social perspective this movie is awesome because it is about desperate true love unlike a lot of popular movies now like Blue Valentine etc. which are about confused love or off the beaten path love. If you like a desperate love story mixed with mystery and a little bit of sci-fi this if for you.

The next thing that makes this movie great is that it has a lot of interesting messages. On top of that the cinematography reminds me of an Abrams Fringe episode (men with black hats). Which was a quirky little thing that made me like this even more.

Go see this if you're not a bitter old love hater. Or if you want to see a good sci fi or a good love story.
kimcashMar 14, 2011
Entertaining, moderately thought provoking, relatively enjoyable, but I would only watch it once. The film was good, but nothing special. Entertainment for all ages.
PapaCheeseMar 14, 2011
"...far more substantive and intellectually provocative than the ordinary big thriller fare." It's the Serendipity meets the Spirit World. Of note: I actually liked Matt Damon and Emily Blunt in this Film--a feat in and of itself!
lkusaMar 13, 2011
Not a bad film, just not a great film. The casting was pretty good. I never read the Philip K Dick short story, but it is more a fantasy tale than sci-fi.
Silly premise, but fun, and as many irrational religionists as there are on the
Silly premise, but fun, and as many irrational religionists as there are on the planet, it will surely find an audience. I would really love to put on a hat, open the doorknob a certain way, and find something different on the other side of a door, don't you know.
TheWhiteMambaMar 13, 2011
Even being the unhappy third wheel to my friend and his girlfriend at the theater, i enjoyed the adjustment bureau. heavily marketed as a sort of sci-fi/action film, the adjustment bureau is a romance if anything. Matt damon is a stud asEven being the unhappy third wheel to my friend and his girlfriend at the theater, i enjoyed the adjustment bureau. heavily marketed as a sort of sci-fi/action film, the adjustment bureau is a romance if anything. Matt damon is a stud as always and co-star emily blunt looks good and also does well. not a big romance fan, i actually wanted these 2 to be together in the story, speaking volumes on their individual performances and on screen chemistry. not bad, not great, but good; the adjustment bureau is worth a viewing. Expand
Joey453Mar 12, 2011
It was very good except that it describes so many people and it doesn't show them, the best part of the whole movie was when ever there was a ripple effect, it is the best part to 19 out of 20 members in my group! Very good but we think thatIt was very good except that it describes so many people and it doesn't show them, the best part of the whole movie was when ever there was a ripple effect, it is the best part to 19 out of 20 members in my group! Very good but we think that the plot could make just a little more sense but as for anything else it was great! Expand
McBearMar 12, 2011
Absolutely one of the best movies ever. If you are bored in this one, you weren't paying attention! Amazing how powerful those little decisions are that seem so insignificant at the time! WOW. Couldn't leave my theatre seat to go get moreAbsolutely one of the best movies ever. If you are bored in this one, you weren't paying attention! Amazing how powerful those little decisions are that seem so insignificant at the time! WOW. Couldn't leave my theatre seat to go get more popcorn because I was too afraid I would miss something AND, even missing a minute would have spoiled it all! Expand
Aiden26Mar 10, 2011
This movie was everything I expected it to be. The story was fresh, the characters were great, I thoroughly enjoyed. Not the best piece of film I have ever seen, great movie for one of those nights where you don't know what to watch or whatThis movie was everything I expected it to be. The story was fresh, the characters were great, I thoroughly enjoyed. Not the best piece of film I have ever seen, great movie for one of those nights where you don't know what to watch or what to do. The "3 years later" stuff got me annoyed but other than that this movie was fun. Expand
rjakjrMar 9, 2011
It was basically a modern-day "It's a Wonderful Life". The basic concept of "ripple effects" is something I always think of in the daily routine of life. (Doing or not doing certain things that have the potential to change the outcome ofIt was basically a modern-day "It's a Wonderful Life". The basic concept of "ripple effects" is something I always think of in the daily routine of life. (Doing or not doing certain things that have the potential to change the outcome of events in the near or distant future.)

In the end, it makes one become very aware of the weather and who's wearing headgear and who isn't.
shollerMar 9, 2011
more of a love story than a complex "inception like" thriller, but still satisfying overall and features great performances by both Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. Their chemistry alone fills the holes the convoluted plot digs as the movie progresses.
EyesWideOpenMar 8, 2011
Actually a good date movie, it can be a lot of fun....if you ease off the need to delve into the possibilities more thoroughly.....a must DVD rent....optional for movie goers...it did miss the mark...but I have a feeling this movie could haveActually a good date movie, it can be a lot of fun....if you ease off the need to delve into the possibilities more thoroughly.....a must DVD rent....optional for movie goers...it did miss the mark...but I have a feeling this movie could have lasted 4 hrs to curb some of the needs of some viewers....it was thin on premise and execution but honestly it is worth seeing. You decide if you got the doe for a good date night movie or red box. Expand
BikerjamesMar 7, 2011
For me, this movie was a throwback to simple fantasy films of yesteryear. It isn't meant to be a deep, complex movie like The Matrix or Inception. It is simply a romantic comedy fantasy. The film would not work if there were no chemistryFor me, this movie was a throwback to simple fantasy films of yesteryear. It isn't meant to be a deep, complex movie like The Matrix or Inception. It is simply a romantic comedy fantasy. The film would not work if there were no chemistry between the two leads, but that is not a problem. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt have great chemistry together, and I was rooting for them to be together the entire film. I thought the film was fun, and unlike some of the other people reviewing this film I was never bored. Expand
LuvCriticalMuvsMar 7, 2011
''''The Adjustment Bureau" has both too little action and too little romance. In the ending, which is way too long, Matt Damon, has to wear and Adjustment Bureau hat, to go through doors. Why he has to go through doors, except to try to''''The Adjustment Bureau" has both too little action and too little romance. In the ending, which is way too long, Matt Damon, has to wear and Adjustment Bureau hat, to go through doors. Why he has to go through doors, except to try to escape The Adjustment Bureau, is not clear and takes way too long. Going through these doors reminded me of "Inception," where the actors go to different levels, in dreams. In "The Adjustment Bureau," it is also confusing and time-wasting. I was expecting a better movie, considering Matt Damon's acting skills, but I was disappointed. Expand
todd1Mar 6, 2011
The beauty of Science Fiction is the ability to tell a story, any story, outside of our reality and make it work. So a love story wrapped in the intrigue of a thriller with some good old fashioned "what if' thrown in is just perfect for me.The beauty of Science Fiction is the ability to tell a story, any story, outside of our reality and make it work. So a love story wrapped in the intrigue of a thriller with some good old fashioned "what if' thrown in is just perfect for me. Not sure what movies the critics were watching, but from my seat in the theater, what was thrown up there on the screen was 100% quality writtng, directing and acting. Better than Inception, by far. Expand
MarcDoyleMar 6, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Certainly better than the reviews led me to believe it would be. I really enjoyed the first 3 quarters of the film greatly, but it breaks too many rules and wraps up with too nice a bow on it. Something about the film reminded me of The Truman Show, but this one suffers by comparison. That was a great film. So yes, this sounds like a negative review, but it's not. A bunch of interesting themes, Blunt, Damon, Stamp and Anthony Mackie (Hurt Locker) are terrific. The guys in the Devo-inspired black jackets and helmets who run handle the abductions are funny as hell. But it's entertaining, and that's what matters. Expand
RasenRobMar 5, 2011
Review for Adjustment Bureau
Review for Adjustment Bureau
On Saturday March 5, 2011 I decided to do a double movie day and see two promising blockbusters. The first on my list was the adjustment bureau, a drama I thought would be a mixture of the matrix, inceptions, and a little bit of titanic drama. In a sense that is what it is, but favored more of the romantic tale than anything else. The movie opens up with an intro to Matt Damonâ
GOUGHMar 5, 2011
It is a romantic fantasy...and if by now you are not tired of being pissed off by being lured into the theatre for something else (big bucks movie co's gotta do some weird s to get you in), then you'll enjoy this romantic fantasy. Don't lookIt is a romantic fantasy...and if by now you are not tired of being pissed off by being lured into the theatre for something else (big bucks movie co's gotta do some weird s to get you in), then you'll enjoy this romantic fantasy. Don't look or worry too much. Enjoy! Expand
gfnyMar 5, 2011
An enjoyable movie. Equally appealing to both men and women. Good plot, storyline, and dialogue. Will appeal to the older crowd that remembers when movies had a story to tell.
2PIN-1STINMar 4, 2011
Matt Damon seems to always be good. Emily Blunt as well. The story is a good one. The direction lets the movie slow down too much, especially in the middle. Good not great movie. Interesting concept and might give you some thoughts toMatt Damon seems to always be good. Emily Blunt as well. The story is a good one. The direction lets the movie slow down too much, especially in the middle. Good not great movie. Interesting concept and might give you some thoughts to discuss afterwards. Expand
AndrewUltimateMar 4, 2011
Definitely a great film. It was extremely thought-provoking, & quite complex. A movie like "Inception", not by plot, but by the fact that you really must pay attention in order to see what's going on. Very entertaining & interesting, as wellDefinitely a great film. It was extremely thought-provoking, & quite complex. A movie like "Inception", not by plot, but by the fact that you really must pay attention in order to see what's going on. Very entertaining & interesting, as well as unpredictable. Expand