7.7

1. Mar 25, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin is an A when it comes to visuals probably the best since Avatar but the story and how the movie was made was not very good to say the least. It went way to fast and the ending came to sudden halt with me saying at the end that's it.
  2. Aug 20, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin has the type of truly unbelievable animation that drops the jaw at every turn. It also has a high level of authenticity; if you grew up reading the Tintin comics (as I did) then there is a lot to get misty-eyed and nostalgic about. Unfortunately, the movie is too hyperactive and action packed for it's own good. The swooping images of death defying stunts are aThe Adventures of Tintin has the type of truly unbelievable animation that drops the jaw at every turn. It also has a high level of authenticity; if you grew up reading the Tintin comics (as I did) then there is a lot to get misty-eyed and nostalgic about. Unfortunately, the movie is too hyperactive and action packed for it's own good. The swooping images of death defying stunts are a technical marvel but also a little soulless. The same can be said for the movie overall. It just never stops long enough to gain any emotional traction. Expand
  3. Dec 28, 2011
    Superb cinematography, awesome direction and great 3D. But it's childish, hard to enjoy. I don't get any attention besides Spielberg on the poster. Spielberg presents an ultimate adventure.
  4. Jan 2, 2012
    Tintin had some fun scenes and is worth a watch but unfortunately does not thrill or surprise as an adventure movie should ( I wanted a bit more from it). The movie stays fairly predictable throughout, I never felt as if Tintin or Snowy were in any real danger, and although the action scenes looked great, they never truly were thrilling and I never doubted the hero wouldn't survive or getTintin had some fun scenes and is worth a watch but unfortunately does not thrill or surprise as an adventure movie should ( I wanted a bit more from it). The movie stays fairly predictable throughout, I never felt as if Tintin or Snowy were in any real danger, and although the action scenes looked great, they never truly were thrilling and I never doubted the hero wouldn't survive or get the treasure in the end which does water down a stories impact. Tintin was fun though, does have some more potential and I'm interested to know what happens next. Expand
  5. Apr 25, 2012
    Being the FIRST-EVER animated film for both Steven Spielberg and John Williams you would think this film (although pretty good) would have been classic perfection due to the immense build-up over time it's taken these two men to make a picture of this scope and scale. I was expecting the 3D motion capture computer-animation to be much more lifelike, much like how Avatar when it wasBeing the FIRST-EVER animated film for both Steven Spielberg and John Williams you would think this film (although pretty good) would have been classic perfection due to the immense build-up over time it's taken these two men to make a picture of this scope and scale. I was expecting the 3D motion capture computer-animation to be much more lifelike, much like how Avatar when it was released. Instead this movie felt too 'cartoony' for my taste buds despite the fact that the content is marketed to the late teen/early adult demographic. Expand
  6. Mar 2, 2013
    Not spectacularly amazing, just Tintin. I read all the books as a child (our local library had the lot) and have to admit, a good job was done bringing them to life, I suppose the highest praise that can be given to the film is it isn't insulting to anyone who remembers the source material. Well done, Spielberg. You didn't f*ck it up.
  7. Dec 22, 2011
    It had great potential, and started off with a "bang", but it fell apart as the movie progressed. What a shame, because it looks gorgeous! I wanted to like it SO much, but there were too many problems to overlook. The biggest obstacle for me was the intentional choice to render some of the characters with deadpan human-like realism, while drawing others as caricatures with exaggeratedIt had great potential, and started off with a "bang", but it fell apart as the movie progressed. What a shame, because it looks gorgeous! I wanted to like it SO much, but there were too many problems to overlook. The biggest obstacle for me was the intentional choice to render some of the characters with deadpan human-like realism, while drawing others as caricatures with exaggerated facial features...especially big noses. Not just big, but gargantuan noses. We all just kept asking "why?" Why make the choice to draw the settings and objects to look absolutely real, and then fill it with characters that look out of place. There is a very clever moment in the beginning when Tintin is sitting down at a street bazaar to have his picture drawn, and he marvels at how good it looks, even though it appears to be a "normal" crude cartoon drawing. Seeing the two styles of rendering side by side only enhances the incredible accomplishment they achieved with the realistic drawings. Another puzzlement comes with Spielberg's choice to make Tintin appear as such a young boy. He looks ten, but lives alone, carries a gun, shoots skillfully at people, has a job that he has held for quite awhile, drives, and also flies airplanes. A young man of 18 or 19 feels appropriate with his circumstances, but not a little boy. I guess I will always question the need for a cartoon that hires "real" actors for their voices, puts them in special computer suits to capture their "real" movements, and is then drawn with such meticulous attention to detail that it looks "real"...Why? What is the point? Why not just film it from the beginning with "real" actors and "real locations"? Looking forward to Warhorse. Expand
  8. Dec 30, 2011
    State of the Art in both Technical Wizardry and Production Scale - TinTin never reaches the emotional connection that early Spielberg movies did so well. Spielberg's attempt at Motion Capture technology looks fantastic, with great art direction and lighting with scenes that almost look perfect. The script is designed to inspire children to wanting to learn, explore and become smart kids.State of the Art in both Technical Wizardry and Production Scale - TinTin never reaches the emotional connection that early Spielberg movies did so well. Spielberg's attempt at Motion Capture technology looks fantastic, with great art direction and lighting with scenes that almost look perfect. The script is designed to inspire children to wanting to learn, explore and become smart kids. It's a literate, clever and high brow family film that really could have reached more greater heights. The trouble is in the three central characters - TinTin, Snowy the Dog(who was my favorite) and the weakest of the bunch - A Drunk Sea Captain who struggles under the lineage of a damned Sir Francis Drake. I didn't connect with the human characters in the film. Neither the narrative or the characters match the scenery and fun that a movie like this should have. This could have been much better. Expand
  9. Dec 27, 2011
    It starts off well and captivating but half way through it, it's all chasing here and there. I got dizzy following the action. I wish there were more characters development, maybe more depth in Tintin's as well as Haddock's stories. In conclusion, I feel the story lost its steam as it moved towards the end.
  10. Dec 28, 2011
    The movie starts great and draws you in with its beautiful animation. Things go great for probably the first half hour, then a joke falls flat. I realize that the movie is fallible. Here is a super hard to make, beautiful looking movie with a screenplay that wasn't 100%. "that's okay, things will pick up once Tintin hits the road" i thought. But not really. the jokes continued to beThe movie starts great and draws you in with its beautiful animation. Things go great for probably the first half hour, then a joke falls flat. I realize that the movie is fallible. Here is a super hard to make, beautiful looking movie with a screenplay that wasn't 100%. "that's okay, things will pick up once Tintin hits the road" i thought. But not really. the jokes continued to be hit or miss (not funny enough for adults, and possibly out of grasp for children due to all the alcohol references). And that ambiguous demographic tone sums up the whole movie for me in the end. Too much for kids, and too shallow for adults. Not to mention the second half of the movie really drags. Overall, the movie isn't a complete waste of time and i would probably see the sequel if it got favorable word of mouth. I must say that Tintin is one of the most beautiful looking animated films i've ever seen. That's why it pains me that it wasn't put to better use. Major props to the artists behind the animation though. The film is absolutely stunning to look at. Expand
  11. Dec 31, 2011
    The visual effects are terrific, and the action scenes almost rival those in the new Mission: Impossible movie. However, the main character of Tintin is dull as well as annoying, and I didn't care about what happened in the story or its characters. The story often uneasily and abruptly shifts from seriousness to goofy slapstick. It's fun at times, but despite its fast pace, "Tintin" neverThe visual effects are terrific, and the action scenes almost rival those in the new Mission: Impossible movie. However, the main character of Tintin is dull as well as annoying, and I didn't care about what happened in the story or its characters. The story often uneasily and abruptly shifts from seriousness to goofy slapstick. It's fun at times, but despite its fast pace, "Tintin" never really goes anywhere. Expand
  12. Dec 25, 2011
    'The Adventures of Tin Tin' is an underwhelming film. It isn't bad, like Spielberg mess 'War Horse', but it is disappointing. All the hype about this film, and all it turns out to be is a simple animated adventure film, with impressive visuals (which counts for about 3 points of my 6). It isn't memorable and while entertaining for one watch, I don't see it becoming any kind of classic.
  13. Mar 14, 2012
    Animation and modelling were amazing in this film. The production was great and the actors did a good job. HOWEVER. I found myself often looking at my watch wondering when this was going to finish. There were so many pointless things that they kept in the film which made it drag. 6/10
  14. Mar 10, 2013
    Hergé's stories were fantastic: intelligent, funny, interesting/lovable characters, and enjoyable, engaging plots that you couldn't put down! Animations of Tintin were made, 30 minute long stories I think, that followed Hergé's works exactly, and these were fantastic! I think Tintin is simply not meant to be made into full-length feature films of 2 hours. Mixing the characters and plots ofHergé's stories were fantastic: intelligent, funny, interesting/lovable characters, and enjoyable, engaging plots that you couldn't put down! Animations of Tintin were made, 30 minute long stories I think, that followed Hergé's works exactly, and these were fantastic! I think Tintin is simply not meant to be made into full-length feature films of 2 hours. Mixing the characters and plots of Hergé's Tintin stories AND adding in new "Hollywoodized" content (the crane fight and the bazooka, etc...), was an awful decision.

It was fantastic watching the first 15 minutes of the Secret of the Unicorn, haha, and then we suddenly switch to the Crab with the Golden Claws, but mix the characters and plots from the two. What a mess. The visuals are fun to watch, the computer rendering that is, but the story and what they have done with Hergé's work is a mess!

I wonder how the Asterix "real people" films worked out. The Asterix stories are similar in length to Tintin I think. I wonder what the French did with Asterix?!
  15. Dec 29, 2011
    If anyone but Spielberg had made this movie, the knives would have come out. Disappointing that the "professional" critics didn't have the balls to tell it like it is. Pros: kudos for picking this subject; I love TinTin and he stuck to the original feel and look of the cartoon; his storybook phrasing of each scene was very true to the original. Cons: it was just not as good as other 3DIf anyone but Spielberg had made this movie, the knives would have come out. Disappointing that the "professional" critics didn't have the balls to tell it like it is. Pros: kudos for picking this subject; I love TinTin and he stuck to the original feel and look of the cartoon; his storybook phrasing of each scene was very true to the original. Cons: it was just not as good as other 3D movies (went home that same night and watched Alice in Wonderland; far more interesting 3D movie.) The obligatory roller coaster ride scene was painful; wow, this is the best SS has to offer? Saw this at Omni-max 10 years ago. The emperor has no clothes, but everyone is afraid to say so. Collapse
  16. Dec 27, 2011
    I was a longtime fan of the Tintin comics growing up, and was pleasantly surprised to see that no less than Steven Spielberg was going to direct the big screen adaptation. I thought the motion capture animation looked like an interesting idea for adding some oomph to the simple-but-charming illustrations of the original material, and I was glad to hear they decided to adapt the Secret ofI was a longtime fan of the Tintin comics growing up, and was pleasantly surprised to see that no less than Steven Spielberg was going to direct the big screen adaptation. I thought the motion capture animation looked like an interesting idea for adding some oomph to the simple-but-charming illustrations of the original material, and I was glad to hear they decided to adapt the Secret of the Unicorn arc, which stands out as one of the best stories in the oeuvre.

Unfortunately, the result was mediocre. Tintin the character is fine as portrayed ("Great snakes!"), but then he was always just the generically heroic straight man who existed mainly to keep the story moving forward. The real charm of the series has always been the supporting players, none more so than the irascible, irrepressible Captain Haddock, and this is where the movie falls short. The Captain in particular is handled just terribly; he's presented as a sloppy, drunken maniac, constantly bouncing off the walls and either bellowing at the top of his lungs or wallowing in sniveling self-pity. They reduce him to a broad comic relief buffoon who is far less entertaining than the character from the books (plus they give him a heavy Scottish brogue, which was absent from his written dialogue). Other than him, the Thomson twins are merely adequate, as is Bianca Castafiore (why they would decide to include her and leave out Professor Calculus I can't imagine). The one character I thought they really handled well was Snowy, who both looks adorable and acts like the Snowy I grew up with.

While I thought the motion capture animation was fine, it bothered me how they kept bending over backwards to create enormous setpieces full of pratfalls and over-the-top destruction. Yes, Tintin gets into his share of scrapes, but he's not James Bond. It's a stretch to have him zipping all over a Middle Eastern city on a motorcycle laying waste with a bazooka and playing chicken with a building-crushing tank. And don't even get me started on the dueling cranes. All of this, plus the fact that they mashed up two distinct Tintin stories for no apparent reason, leads me to suspect the creators didn't have much appreciation for the source material and were just trying to make a generic action-comedy to pack butts into seats.
  17. Jan 9, 2012
    In many ways well done, it just seemed kind of hollow to me. It was fairly engaging, with lots of action scenes and some humor, so if that's what you want, this might be just fine for you. Personally, I like a movie that gives me something to take back into my life with me. Tin Tin left me with very little.

Comparing this to another movie in its class, Toy Story is far and away better.

Comparing this to another movie in its class, Toy Story is far and away better. You CAN make animated characters (more) believable and have a plot that works better, and actually leaves people at the end feeling like they are just a little bit better than when they walked in.
  18. Mar 31, 2012
    Don't let the all star production and director fool you... it was a struggle staying awake towards the end. I read the comics growing up and was really excited to watch it. maybe its not for me #notthatexciting
  19. Aug 29, 2013
    It's okay. The animation is brilliant. I originally thought it was acted in the real world. However, the plot was not so good. I struggled to figure at times. It's an okay film, probably worth picking up in a sale.

Everything he did in live-action movies with rolling boulders and runaway convoys he does bigger and better - by a factor of ten - in every frame. At the end of two hours, my jaw ached from grinning.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Dec 26, 2011
    Feels particularly mechanical. The movie isn't a complete waste: it adequately re-creates the comics' Dickensian characterization, and every frame brims with clever details. But once the action begins, Spielberg's incessant, force-fed "fun" quickly gets exhausting.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 26, 2011
    In a movie year of more than two dozen animated films, this and "Rango" tower over all others. Welcome to America, Tintin. It's great getting to know you.