7.6

1. Jun 1, 2012
    I was expecting a bit of a turkey tbh before I sat to watch this, sure I read all the books as a kid but figured it too hard to make a decent movie from due to its old fashioned views of the world. I was extremely proven wrong... this is a top notch CGI action movie at it shining best. Forget turkies like Indy Jones... TinTin and Cpt Haddock would kick his ass.
  2. May 25, 2012
    One of the few animated movies of 2011 that got it right with its great direction, solid script and gorgeous animation, and the answer to the No-Pixar-film-for-Oscar-nods dilemna.
  3. Apr 25, 2012
    Being the FIRST-EVER animated film for both Steven Spielberg and John Williams you would think this film (although pretty good) would have been classic perfection due to the immense build-up over time it's taken these two men to make a picture of this scope and scale. I was expecting the 3D motion capture computer-animation to be much more lifelike, much like how Avatar when it wasBeing the FIRST-EVER animated film for both Steven Spielberg and John Williams you would think this film (although pretty good) would have been classic perfection due to the immense build-up over time it's taken these two men to make a picture of this scope and scale. I was expecting the 3D motion capture computer-animation to be much more lifelike, much like how Avatar when it was released. Instead this movie felt too 'cartoony' for my taste buds despite the fact that the content is marketed to the late teen/early adult demographic. Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2012
    You should know that there is expected to be two more Tintin films, and that is a good thing. I had the pleasure of reading the many Tintin comic books when I was younger, something that I recommend doing before you see this film. After hearing there was a movie planned, I was thrilled, to say the least. Like a geek, I researched everything and anything that had to do with the film,You should know that there is expected to be two more Tintin films, and that is a good thing. I had the pleasure of reading the many Tintin comic books when I was younger, something that I recommend doing before you see this film. After hearing there was a movie planned, I was thrilled, to say the least. Like a geek, I researched everything and anything that had to do with the film, becoming more excited with every new discovery. Then, I finally got to see the film. Was the film going to be awful? Amazing? Mediocre? I'll put it simply: I loved it. But to say I loved this film, is not enough. I simply must gush on about this film, that was everything I could have wanted it to be, with few complaints. You might know that this film is based off of the following three Tintin books; "The Crab With The Golden Claws," "The Secret Of The Unicorn," and "Red Rackham's Treasure." However, a much more accurate term would be "inspired" from these books, rather than based off of. The film only borrows scenes, locations, and characters rather than the stories and plots of each. This isn't really a bad thing though, because it's nice to get to experience a new, if familiar, adventure. When the film opens, the audience is treated to a 3 minute title sequence, portraying scenes from Tintin books, as well as showing off a fine musical theme by John Williams, whose musical talent is consistent throughout the film. In fact, it's one of my favorite film scores. Once the actual film starts, we see Tintin in a flea market-like surrounding. This scene not only sets up the film, but does a fine job of displaying some of the greatest animation I've ever seen. It looks absolutely gorgeous, and quite life-like. The style choice is ingenious; putting cartoonish characters in a life-like setting. It's not unlike what other animation studios have done, but it's much more exaggerated in this film, and much more detailed. The characters are portrayed faithfully. All the characters look like they do in the book, and the voice actors have been selected excellently. Tintin is exactly as I imagined him to be, the Thompson twins are hilarious, and all the other characters have been given a fine treatment as well. Even Bianca Castifore has a short scene. I do have a few complaints regarding the character of Captain Haddock, however. In the book, he is portrayed as cranky, and usually drunk. In the film, he's portrayed as sad, stupid, occasionaly cheerful, and usually drunk. This portrayal is not a bad one, it's just not very faithful to the books. Also, Professor Calculus is omitted from the film, but he doesn't really belong in this film anyway. However, based on what I've heard the sequel is going to be about, Calculus will probably be added to the cast. Also, for those who are curious, Snowy does not "think" as he does in the books, he's no different than any normal dog. Me and the friends that I saw the film with, have all read the books, and it was very rewarding when watching the film. There are literally DOZENS of references, cameos, and easter eggs from the Tintin books. From characters walking in the background, to props, to posters, to names, to buildings, it doesn't end! There is actually a reference to almost EVERY book in the series. There are some excellent chase scenes, some exciting fight scenes, and some thrilling escape scenes. I can't remember I had so much fun at the theater. The film was also, quite hilarious, though there was some juvenile humor that I didn't appreciate. Out of a lot of praise, I do have some complaints. I have already expressed my feelings toward the change of Captian Haddock, but I do have some other things to point out as well. For one, the movie didn't have much of a plot. It felt more like the characters were trying to get from point A to point B, without much thought about what to do when they get there. Also, the film felt somewhat non-conclusive, but I feel that this was done intentionally for the sequels. There was some cheesy dialogue (the last two lines spoken by Tintin and Haddock are ridiculously hammy), and Tintin just cannot say "Great Snakes!" without sounding forced. I do love this film, I didn't want it to end. I am looking forward to the sequels, more so than any other film, and I have great anticipations for what Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg plan to do with the next Tintin. Expand
  5. Apr 16, 2012
    This is the best animated movie I have seen in years. Some of the sequences are very intense for a "kids movie". I'm now 26 and I can honestly say I enjoyed this movie from beginning to end. The 3D is phenomenal as well.
  6. Apr 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The move is really good but there is some parts that Idont get,like they get like why did they have to get the three map thingies just for a tiney hat filled with gold that was as big as a tiny jar. Expand
  7. Apr 2, 2012
    Despite using state-of-the art motion capture technology, at its core The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is a good old-fashioned family adventure film. It's extremely good-looking, funny and entertaining throughout, and has plenty of references to Herge's original books to keep fans happy. The motion-captured cast are on top form: Jamie Bell makes a compelling Tintin, AndyDespite using state-of-the art motion capture technology, at its core The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is a good old-fashioned family adventure film. It's extremely good-looking, funny and entertaining throughout, and has plenty of references to Herge's original books to keep fans happy. The motion-captured cast are on top form: Jamie Bell makes a compelling Tintin, Andy Serkis is perfect as the good-natured but permanently drunk Captain Haddock, Daniel Craig makes a serviceable villain as the scheming Sakharine and Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are quite simply a comic joy as the incompetent pair of detectives Tomson and Tompson. The real star of the film though, is Tintin's hyper-intelligent dog Snowy, who manages to out-perform every other actor, and appears to be the most full of life, despite being the only character to be computer animated without the use of motion capture. The film also boasts another classic John Williams score and some top-notch writing from Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish. I must admit, I do question the need for the film to be made using motion capture animation - it does seem like more trouble than it's worth. The amount of effort everyone involved has put in, the complexity involved with shooting the simplest sequence with this technology all in the name of bringing Herge's work to life on the big screen, but surely it could have been done in live-action or in traditional animation, or even in modern computer animation a-la Pixar? It does at times feel a little like an exercise in what is possible rather than what is necessary. I'm also very very tired of 3D films, and found the film much easier to watch in 2D at home. Also the story itself does loose a little energy in the final act, but luckily not enough to have a particularly negative impact on the film as a whole. Tintin looks and sounds fantastic, is very funny, is full of heart and energy and is surprisingly intelligent for an animated blockbuster. It is an exercise in spectacle, and sometimes this focus on spectacle does get in the way of story, and the mystery elements of the film are a bit predictable, but it remains a pretty decent film thanks to the passion that went into making it. I'll be intrigued to find out where Peter Jackson takes the story next... Expand
  8. Mar 31, 2012
    First off, this is a 9.5 out of 10. Visuals are just out standings. Some and most pushes boundaries between real and animation. Action sequences are great story. Story and score are well done, and the acting is great. Overall this is a great movie recommend for everyone.
  9. Mar 31, 2012
    Don't let the all star production and director fool you... it was a struggle staying awake towards the end. I read the comics growing up and was really excited to watch it. maybe its not for me #notthatexciting
  10. Mar 29, 2012
    Muy entretenida de principio a fin. Las Aventuras de Tintin es una pelicula llena de aventura, con una direccion magistral de Steven Spielberg y un interesante plot. Es visualmente atractiva y claramente algo que no se ve todos los dias. La recomiendo...
  11. Mar 25, 2012
    This here movie is what Indiana Jones 4 should have been. (No hating on that movie, it was "good enough") It was mindblowing to watch this here movie, the amount of awesome camera angles, funny writing and awesome motion in this movie is just wonderful, it made my day... no take that back, it made my week! My friends are going to hate me, because the only subject my mouth will talk aboutThis here movie is what Indiana Jones 4 should have been. (No hating on that movie, it was "good enough") It was mindblowing to watch this here movie, the amount of awesome camera angles, funny writing and awesome motion in this movie is just wonderful, it made my day... no take that back, it made my week! My friends are going to hate me, because the only subject my mouth will talk about is how awesome and fine adjusted this here movie is, the countless of funny spoofs so professionally performed by the one and only Spielberg... What do you honestly expect from a movie like this? Get ready to get your mind blown by this here superb movie i give a round number 9. It is a great story made into an awesome movie, maybe the only problem with it is Tintin acting a bit too cliche and dramatic at some points (I could count 2.) But that's my only concern.. and it's THAT minor... like almost nothing, GREAT MOVIE i love it! Expand
  12. Mar 25, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin is an A when it comes to visuals probably the best since Avatar but the story and how the movie was made was not very good to say the least. It went way to fast and the ending came to sudden halt with me saying at the end that's it.
  13. Mar 20, 2012
    Brilliant. One of the best films of 2011. There is little too complain about after viewing this classic piece of work. Althought this is computer generated animation it is breathtaking. The reason it succeeds is the screenplay adaption. The action is never ending and the characters are finely etched and the technical aspects are beyond expectation. There were not many live actionBrilliant. One of the best films of 2011. There is little too complain about after viewing this classic piece of work. Althought this is computer generated animation it is breathtaking. The reason it succeeds is the screenplay adaption. The action is never ending and the characters are finely etched and the technical aspects are beyond expectation. There were not many live action films that succeeded like this film does. Expand
  14. Mar 18, 2012
    This is a great movie it's an exact remake of the book, which I loved anyone and everyone will love this. Way better than Hugo and stays true to the books. Give it a go people.
  15. Mar 14, 2012
    Animation and modelling were amazing in this film. The production was great and the actors did a good job. HOWEVER. I found myself often looking at my watch wondering when this was going to finish. There were so many pointless things that they kept in the film which made it drag. 6/10
  16. Mar 12, 2012
    The Adventures of Tintin looks and feels like another Indiana Jones movie and it basically is just in the form of another character, and the story isn't told with much depth as most would want. Yet, dazzling animation, great action, humor, memorable and lovable characters make for an amazing movie experience. I give this movie 85%.
  17. Mar 11, 2012
    This was an okay Remake of Tintin..but really it gets boring the very start of the film.. everything else was very good Kudos to Spielberg"s Creative Mind!
  18. Mar 10, 2012
    Great movie! The story was hilarious at times but also easy to follow, and the graphics in this film are absolutely amazing. At some points I completely forgot I was watching an animation.
  19. Mar 7, 2012
    This film was a delight for me to see. It was made for more of the children's audience but Steven Spielburg knows how to please an audience. Think of James Bond mixed with Indiana Jones in a cartoon. This Action-Adventure incorporates what is needed to make a good film, the action sequences, the humor, and of course the adventure at hand. The only thing really wrong in this movie is thatThis film was a delight for me to see. It was made for more of the children's audience but Steven Spielburg knows how to please an audience. Think of James Bond mixed with Indiana Jones in a cartoon. This Action-Adventure incorporates what is needed to make a good film, the action sequences, the humor, and of course the adventure at hand. The only thing really wrong in this movie is that like I said it is more for children and younger people and some of the slapstick humor got to be a little too much. This is a movie to rent. Expand
  20. Mar 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first half hour of this movie is pretty boring. On his own, Tintin is a bland and irritating character. However the movie picks up when the drunken Captain Haddock is introduced. He's much more entertaining and three dimensional than Tintin is. The movie's set pieces are pretty fantastic; there are plenty of long takes filled with a lot of destruction that takes place over huge distances that would be impossible to film in real life. The fight scenes actually look real because we're able to see the characters' attacks contact each other, instead of cutting away before impact or shooting close to hide the distance between the impact of the blow and the target. In real life the actors wouldnâ Expand
  21. Mar 2, 2012
    Tintin is extremely lifelike, but with physics like the Polar Express. It is consistently funny and full of action, even if the story is absolute random.
  22. Feb 29, 2012
    I must say I was weary of this movie when I went to watch it but I got more than I bargained for! All I can say is the movie was great and it kept me on the edge of my seat.
  23. Feb 26, 2012
    Despite having people I despise working on it (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost just to name a few), this was a very enjoyable movie debut for Tintin, even though I would've preferred a French dub to honor the original source material.
  24. Feb 25, 2012
    The film has a story that is based on the comic by Hergé, a Belgian author, and which was directed by Spielberg. The film uses a motion-capture technology, of movement and expression of real actors and that is applied in a highly detailed CG and 3D movie, with astonishing results.

The story is much like the classic stories, and presents the familiar characters of the comic - is a movie that entertains but serves more as a showcase for the recent advances advances in CG and motion-capture. It's a good and fun movie to watch with the family: My score: 7.8 / 10.0.
  25. Feb 25, 2012
    Hmm amazing movie and picture from this movie..
    Altough more extended story and not folowing the comic story Im unpatiently wait the next sequel,,
    Im curius with the map in thend of sory
  26. Feb 18, 2012
    This has to be one of the best animated films. The animation is incredible. Outside of this, it is a great adventure romp, with plenty of humour. However, it is important to make parents aware that this is Tin Tin. So there is heaps of shooting and violence and use of alcohol. It is great though. I took my 11 and 9 year old and I think they were the right age to see it. Any younger and itThis has to be one of the best animated films. The animation is incredible. Outside of this, it is a great adventure romp, with plenty of humour. However, it is important to make parents aware that this is Tin Tin. So there is heaps of shooting and violence and use of alcohol. It is great though. I took my 11 and 9 year old and I think they were the right age to see it. Any younger and it would probably not be appropriate. This is a great, enjoyable, classic animation. Well done to all involved in bringing this movie in to existence. Expand
  27. Feb 13, 2012
    "The Adventures of Tintin" is like the animated version of Indiana Jones. Although the story is somewhat cliched in a sort of matter, it's the adventurous feeling and realistic characters that shine the movie. A good entertainment to watch with your kids.
  28. Feb 12, 2012
    the adventures of tintin is an amazing film true to the book with awesome action, great storyline and tintin goodness, it really is an incredible film!
  29. Feb 11, 2012
    This film is Spielberg's first animated film, and it's a great and epic thrill ride. Andy Serkis is great in the film, but really, he's great in any film as long as his real face isn't shown (he's not ugly, though). The pirate ship scenes are the best, which have you holding on to your seat for a long time. My beef is that it could have had a better script, though it's supposedly faithfulThis film is Spielberg's first animated film, and it's a great and epic thrill ride. Andy Serkis is great in the film, but really, he's great in any film as long as his real face isn't shown (he's not ugly, though). The pirate ship scenes are the best, which have you holding on to your seat for a long time. My beef is that it could have had a better script, though it's supposedly faithful to the original comic book. It's great, but it feels like a Spielberg movie not directed by Spielberg himself. But every three years, he releases two films, one that's good, and one that's bad or not as good. So you know what I'm reviewing next... Expand
  30. Feb 7, 2012
    Awesome animation, a well executed screenplay, and a good use of graphics have all been plus points for this movie. Especially the animation has glued my eyes to the film. As my sister said, the movie supposedly captures all the essence of the comic book by Herge. But is still felt that it wasn't so much for the mature audience, and there was something lacking in it.
    Good movie.

Everything he did in live-action movies with rolling boulders and runaway convoys he does bigger and better - by a factor of ten - in every frame. At the end of two hours, my jaw ached from grinning.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Dec 26, 2011
    Feels particularly mechanical. The movie isn't a complete waste: it adequately re-creates the comics' Dickensian characterization, and every frame brims with clever details. But once the action begins, Spielberg's incessant, force-fed "fun" quickly gets exhausting.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 26, 2011
    In a movie year of more than two dozen animated films, this and "Rango" tower over all others. Welcome to America, Tintin. It's great getting to know you.