6.8

1. Aug 3, 2014
    The words Sucks Major Ass describes it perfectly. From the stupid sub plot with Peter's parents (which has absolutely zero relevance to the film), The even dumber visions that Peter has of Gwen's Dad, The pathetic villains and their laughable portrayals (I hated the Rhino and found absolutely zero use for him in the film, Jamie Foxx was laughably bad as Max/Electro, and I thought what theyThe words Sucks Major Ass describes it perfectly. From the stupid sub plot with Peter's parents (which has absolutely zero relevance to the film), The even dumber visions that Peter has of Gwen's Dad, The pathetic villains and their laughable portrayals (I hated the Rhino and found absolutely zero use for him in the film, Jamie Foxx was laughably bad as Max/Electro, and I thought what they did to the Green Goblin was a huge injustice despite loving the actor who portrays him).

Overall, Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a huge freaking drop off from the first film and I would strongly recommend avoiding it at all costs.
  2. May 11, 2014
    The first thing I thought when the credits rolled for "The Abysmal Spiderman 2" was, "I paid money to see this?" This is the worst of the Spiderman movies ever. It is one of the most non-sensical, not cohesive, incoherent, and confusing movies I have seen since I can remember. The whole story was nothing but cliché after cliché after cliché. I give credit to the people involved in thisThe first thing I thought when the credits rolled for "The Abysmal Spiderman 2" was, "I paid money to see this?" This is the worst of the Spiderman movies ever. It is one of the most non-sensical, not cohesive, incoherent, and confusing movies I have seen since I can remember. The whole story was nothing but cliché after cliché after cliché. I give credit to the people involved in this tragedy for piling on the most clichés possible in this movie. And the love story between Peter and Gwen: ugh, I might as well have watched a bad soap opera. The villain in this one, Electro, played by the wonderful Mr. Jamie Foxx, is wasted in this movie and seems like more of an afterthought. How Foxx accepted being in this movie is beyond reason. And who wrote the script? They should never be allowed in Hollywood ever again. This is literally some of the dialogue in the movie, and believe me, there are no spoilers here. "I can't let you do this. It's too dangerous." "Is that all you got?" "Wait, wait! I know my way out." "It's going to be okay" "I will destroy you, Spiderman!"

The only thing that I did like in the movie, which is preventing me from giving it a 0, are the slow motion scenes. They are impressive from a technical standpoint, if only they weren't followed by a scene with a (wait for it) cliché!
  3. May 4, 2014
    Maybe I should stop reviewing comic book superhero flix, because I've lost all patience with the genre. The predictable stories, ho-hum opponents and noisy action all play out in this sequel. Luckily, Andrew Garfield (in the title role) has loads of charisma and charm that makes watching him enjoyable. Toss in his chemistry with Emma Stone and you have a bearable love interest. Other thanMaybe I should stop reviewing comic book superhero flix, because I've lost all patience with the genre. The predictable stories, ho-hum opponents and noisy action all play out in this sequel. Luckily, Andrew Garfield (in the title role) has loads of charisma and charm that makes watching him enjoyable. Toss in his chemistry with Emma Stone and you have a bearable love interest. Other than that, there's nothing new or special. Another downside of these films is the unnecessary length (1:42 in this case) that includes too much unnecessary drama and villainous posturing. I was never bored, but just tired of the uninspired formula. Expand
  4. May 9, 2014
    Spider-Man is back in what may be the biggest superhero movie ever as far as content goes. Director Marc Webb packs a plethora of plot-lines into the movie, yet thankfully manages to keep everything straight. From Parker's personal relationship turmoils, to super villain battles, revelations into the past of Peter's parents, and even setting up events and characters for future movies,Spider-Man is back in what may be the biggest superhero movie ever as far as content goes. Director Marc Webb packs a plethora of plot-lines into the movie, yet thankfully manages to keep everything straight. From Parker's personal relationship turmoils, to super villain battles, revelations into the past of Peter's parents, and even setting up events and characters for future movies, there's a lot going on here. There are times when it seems like maybe Webb would have been better off leaving some of these plot lines behind in order to full flesh out some others, but overall I think it turned out excellent in the end.

Spider-Man fans are in for a real treat, and the future of this series looks bright. It's not the best Spider-Man movie, but it's still one fantastic one. Admittedly the shear amount of content and plot threads shoved into this movie are going to be off-putting to some, but I for one was most assuredly entertained. That's why I highly recommend the movie, and why my total score for the movie is a 9.5/10=Amazing.
  5. May 3, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 is awesome. For the most part. TAS2 is a bigger and bolder Spiderman movie, although I didn't find the vibe and sense in its predecessor, Andrew Garfield reprises his role as Peter Parker, still slinging through the beautifully recreated city of New York, buildings look awesome- and in 3D, even better. But this time, ASM 2 introduces 3 villains- Green Goblin,The Amazing Spiderman 2 is awesome. For the most part. TAS2 is a bigger and bolder Spiderman movie, although I didn't find the vibe and sense in its predecessor, Andrew Garfield reprises his role as Peter Parker, still slinging through the beautifully recreated city of New York, buildings look awesome- and in 3D, even better. But this time, ASM 2 introduces 3 villains- Green Goblin, Electro and Rhino. All of those which are being played by Dane DeHaan, Jamie Foxx and Paul Gimmati. The film does a good job of representing Spiderman and his origin. But, it can be a long movie. ASM 2 is really slow, and it never expands on who Richard Parker or any origin of any villain is. If you want an Electro origin story- imagine Jamie Foxx screaming in a pool full of eels. Dane DeHaan is Harry Osborn aka The Green Goblin, his acting was top notch but still not better than the James Franco in Spiderman 2. Paul Gimmati gives the best acting from the bunch, Rhino is looking better than ever, but the movie never explores on his story, instead it gives you some unnecessary tear jerks. Well, this is not what I expected, watching all of the series, I think Sam Raimi had more to accomplish than Director Marc Webb. But remaking a series is hard, and Webb gave it his best. However, if you want to watch a colourful, energetic and well shot Spiderman movie- than go for it. If not, it's better to buy this one on BluRay. ASM is bigger and bolder but not better. Expand
  6. May 4, 2014
    Its leads, set pieces, and score may be incredibly promising, but due to a handful of sharply flawed character choices, an unbearably cluttered narrative, and some general lunacy interspersed throughout, "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" neither undershoots nor exceeds the film's acceptable predecessor.
  7. May 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a disappointment this film is two different films in one. The good half starts with Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spiderman, the best Spiderman by far. It continues with Emma Stone as Gwen Stacey and the chemistry between her and Peter is magic and the best part of this film. One last positive goes out to Sally Field as Aunt May, she had some real emotional scenes with Peter. Now for the negative's the villains in this film are 90's Batman villains from The Riddler I'm sorry Electro to Mr. Freeze aka Rhino yes Rhino's that bad. The Green Goblin maybe the best villian, but he suffers from no real character development. Overall it's strange to say but if I could have gotten two and a half hours of the love story with scenes of Spiderman helping kids that maybe a 9 or 10 but with the pointless villains dragging it down it regretfully gets a 5. Garfield and Stone deserved better than this. C+ Expand
  8. Dec 2, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 does amazing things throughout it's run time, providing badass cool battles and nice romantic moments in equal measure. The film is well on it's way to easily being the best Spider-Man movie when it suddenly decides to summon the ghost of Spider-Man 3 and tries to cram about 4 Spider-Movies into one. The ending is unbelievably wasteful, rushed and crass in it'sThe Amazing Spider-Man 2 does amazing things throughout it's run time, providing badass cool battles and nice romantic moments in equal measure. The film is well on it's way to easily being the best Spider-Man movie when it suddenly decides to summon the ghost of Spider-Man 3 and tries to cram about 4 Spider-Movies into one. The ending is unbelievably wasteful, rushed and crass in it's sequel bating. Which ultimately knocks at least one point off the movie's score for me. Shame. Expand
  9. May 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My latest cinema-going of a 3D spectacle of the second chapter of the Amazing Spider-Man, whereas its first instalment THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (2012, 6/10), a reboot of Sam Raimi’s sensational SPIDER-MAN trilogy, is a hit-or-miss in general, but the Garfield and Stone pair does stand out with their affable affinity and spontaneous chemistry, so when it is time for Stone’s Gwen Stacy to take a bow and exit the franchise, as fans know it from the start, her fate is presaged by the comic books,

read rest of the review on my blog, google cinema omnivore.
  10. Aug 27, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 was just as good as its previous film in my opinion. Its got lots of action and it continues to craft a better story throughout which I felt that Marvel failed to do in the first set of films. I see Andrew Garfield as a better Spiderman than Tobey Maguire. He continues to struggle in balancing the two sides of his life until they collide and we get a massive twistThe Amazing Spiderman 2 was just as good as its previous film in my opinion. Its got lots of action and it continues to craft a better story throughout which I felt that Marvel failed to do in the first set of films. I see Andrew Garfield as a better Spiderman than Tobey Maguire. He continues to struggle in balancing the two sides of his life until they collide and we get a massive twist in the end. Just another great Marvel film. They are really on a role right now. Expand
  11. May 2, 2014
    Ludicrous plotting doesn't spoil an otherwise entertaining Marvel adventure,although it isn't as good as the first instalment. This sequel benefits from the continuance of gifted actor Andrew Garfield as the titular character. His ability is almost wasted in such a generic movie. In the past he has demonstrated superlative talent in such powerful dramas as 'Boy A' and 'Red Riding' and oneLudicrous plotting doesn't spoil an otherwise entertaining Marvel adventure,although it isn't as good as the first instalment. This sequel benefits from the continuance of gifted actor Andrew Garfield as the titular character. His ability is almost wasted in such a generic movie. In the past he has demonstrated superlative talent in such powerful dramas as 'Boy A' and 'Red Riding' and one can only hope that he returns to more substantial roles soon.
    What we have here is a known entity which will delight its fan base. A slick package with all the usual components fabulously integrated including out standing visual effects,sharp editing and eye catching cinematography. The film is never dull or boring, although it is slightly drawn out, and the romantic interludes are predictably sweet, if forgettable. It's all very undemanding stuff and the over sensitive may even shed a tear or two. A surprise sequence near the end of the film, involving Emma Stone, is a knockout of a scene.
  12. May 24, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is almost a good sequel. The film focuses on the dilemma of Peter Parker rather than excessive action, has a good cast with a good villain, and some fun action that isn’t excessive. There are two things that hold this movie back from being spectacular one of which isn’t the movies fault and that is marketing. The marketing for this film made it seem bigger than itThe Amazing Spider-Man 2 is almost a good sequel. The film focuses on the dilemma of Peter Parker rather than excessive action, has a good cast with a good villain, and some fun action that isn’t excessive. There are two things that hold this movie back from being spectacular one of which isn’t the movies fault and that is marketing. The marketing for this film made it seem bigger than it really was. Had the film just been advertised as Spider-Man fighting Electro I wouldn’t have expected too much out of it but the marketing set the bar too high with excessive trailers, giving away villains that play minor roles, having trailers feature scenes that out of context seem bigger than they really are, and it doesn’t hurt that the film’s catch phrase was “His Greatest Battle Begins.” However, upon a second viewing I’m be more excepting of it and if you are lucky you haven’t been exposed to the excessive marketing for the film and don’t know anything which is how it should be. My second major gripe is the ending, which feels rushed and sloppy in comparison the rest of the film. Had the marketing not built this movie up so much, given stuff away, and misrepresented the film by showing various scenes out of context and had the ending been better written this could have been a spectacular film just as good if not better than the original and could rival and/or surpass the first two films in Raimi’s version of the character. As it is it’s a fun action film that is nowhere near the disaster that Spider-Man 3 was. If you are a fan of Spider-Man check this one out but if you are getting tired of Spidey this film won’t do much for me. If you go to see it though lower your expectations and don’t watch any trailers just know that its Peter Parker dealing with problems and fighting Electro and you’ll probably be entertained outside of the ending. But if you’ve seen the excessive marketing prepare for a major disappointment. Expand
  13. May 2, 2014
    More or less on par with the first movie. Some things are better, somethings are worse, but on the whole they balance out.

The obvious flaw here is the script. Like many have said, it feels like a collection of scenes haphazardly pieced together. This makes the transition from scene to scene feel unnatural. I was worried that the movie would have villain saturation (like in Spider

I was worried that the movie would have villain saturation (like in Spider Man 3) but no. Electro was the focus. It is obvious that the other villains are simply put in as a teaser to the Sinister Six movie. Fair enough but that makes one wonder why they got top billing in all the ads and posters? Also, Peter's parents feel needless and that story arch takes up far to much screen time.

Now for the positive: I love Garfield as Spider Man/ Parker, he really does fit the role (even if he is a tad too old.) The action scenes are allot of fun and the effects are first rate. Electro is fantastic and Foxx did an amazing job. Rest of the cast also play their roles well.

Overall:
    Spider-Man 2 feels a bit erratic, but still allot of fun to watch. A bit more post production and sterner script approval was clearly needed and I hope they learn from this and not repeat for the next movies.
  14. Aug 16, 2014
    The acting was really bad and there was no action.The only good actor in the movie was Jamie Foxx and he was not at his best.Visually amazing,the movie just failed at being good.
  15. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: As expected, the effects were top notch ... but were even above and beyond expectations. Spidey's web-slinging and battle scenes were among the best I have ever seen in a comic book film. The bar has certainly been raised. While he was solid in the first film, Garfield knocked it out of the park in this one as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Once he became the villainous Electro, Jamie Foxx was excellent. Dane DeHaan and Emma Stone absolutely stole the show though. Stone was charming, witty, and the perfect Gwen Stacy. DeHaan was an amazing balance of victim and aggressor. His back-and-forth from dark to light and back was well done.

The Bad: At 2:30 it is too long ... and feels it. There is a stretch in the middle that feels especially long and I can't help but feel that some of it could have been cut from the film. While Spidey typically fights a lot of villains and has a lot going on in the comics, that aspect felt busy here and at times a bit hectic and rushed. Lastly, when Foxx was Max Dillon (pre-Electro change), he was sort of annoying and I couldn't wait for his transformation.
  16. Dec 20, 2014
    I really loved the first of " The Amazing Spider Man," series. I can`t say the same for this one. I was really let down. It was a roller coaster ride for me. I liked watching the character Electro, but it got a bit carried away in Spider Mans love life.Don`t get me wrong they had good chemistry, but I wanted to watch a super her movie, not a romance/drama flick. Instead of watching theI really loved the first of " The Amazing Spider Man," series. I can`t say the same for this one. I was really let down. It was a roller coaster ride for me. I liked watching the character Electro, but it got a bit carried away in Spider Mans love life.Don`t get me wrong they had good chemistry, but I wanted to watch a super her movie, not a romance/drama flick. Instead of watching the "Amazing Spider Man," I felt like I was watching a movie about Peter Parkers relationships. Expand
  17. May 2, 2014
    Batman is a man and Superman is a man but as portrayed by Andrew Garfield in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" he is more of a boy who could be graduationg from from high school instead of collage. Emma Stone, younger than Garfield in real life, looks and acts more mature and is certainly prettier than Garfield!
    There are a few villains in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2", one or two too many, just as there are too much of everything from web flying to electric charges via Jamie Foxx as Electro to a high police car count of crashes and shootings..
    As any super hero movie these days special effects are over done as is glass breaking and the running time.Just cutting back all the hugs Dane DeHaan gives Garfield would shorten the movie.Also we are all of a sudden in the world of Transformers with Paul Giamatti as a mechanical rhino!
    This is not one of the better super hero movies and at 2 hours and 22 minutes is way too long
  18. Dec 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *POTENTIAL SPOILERS, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS MOVIE, PLEASE LOOK AWAY*

This it, guys. One of the most controversial movies of 2014, and the one that I was more hyped for: The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Let's be clear, I was immensely excited for this super-hero flick. I'm a Spider-Man fanatic, I simply idolize this lovable character. I watched cartoons when I was younger, I had toys (and I still have some but I don't use them anymore). I read some comic books, my favorite one was always the Ultimate version. It was more realistic and it was darker, and that's why I found it to be pretty enjoyable to read. The new Spider-Man series - Amazing Spider-Man - are based off of that version. "The Amazing Spider-Man" featured an appealingly dark tone, which I loved very much. Some people said that the filmmakers "nolanised" the film, just because it's dark. That's just absurd. So Nolan is the only person who has legitimate reason to attach a dark atmosphere into a live-action movie? No, it's not a rip off of Batman trilogy, because while Batman fights crime without making jokes, Spider-Man in these new movies does the exact opposite. Anyways, the film was still pretty good and allowed director Marc Webb to learn some techniques in filmmaking, since the guy has a small track record (only 3 movies, if I'm not mistaken). Man, I was blown away by his directing. Every shot is handed carefully and he seems to understand what the characters are and what they're going to be. That led to the success of the first movie, and after that, I was really looking forward to its sequel. Oh man, what a disappointment. Before I saw the film, I subscribed to a YouTube channel named "SevenWebHeads", which purpose was to literally give latest news about the webslinger and other cool stuff. With each video, I was getting hyped for the film, and more, and more, and even more... until I saw the movie with my friend. Oh my god, I was thrilled. The first time I saw the film I was thrilled and confused at the same time, and I'll explain why I was. Thrilled, because the movie is awesome when it comes to action sequences and special effects. Confused, because the plot of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" is overstuffed with characters and story arcs. Though I really liked the film and I initially gave it a 9/10. I saw the score on Rotten Tomatoes website drop significantly, until it became a rotten score and I was like shocked. I mean, really? Then I saw the movie multiple times, until I realized that the movie was not that good... unfortunately. However, I don't think it's bad. My god, people really like to jump on the bandwagon and complain about everything. I mean, just because Spider-Man is not in Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) doesn't mean you have to automatically hate this installment and bash it. Some people say that it was terrible. It wasn't terrible, in my opinion. It was decent! Some many youtubers like Mr. Repzion, Yourmoviesucks.DOTorg, and some others hated it and nitpicked the movie to death. I don't judge them because they disliked the movie. I only ask: What is so wrong about this movie? Sure, the story could've been a lot better, some characters were just in the movie to... I don't know their purpose seriously. If Black Cat was mentioned in the newspaper (pretty much like Jameson), that would've been great and it would have spared a character. I mean, what Felicia Hardy is doing in the film. Seriously? She's there because... ah... because...... I don't know, seriously. I think they wanted to tease the upcoming installments, but it was so unnecessary. With that being said, yes, the movie has a lot of flaws and writing issues, but there's also some redeeming qualities attached to it like for instance, the cast is phenomenal.

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are so cute together, they have such great chemistry, but that's not only because they're dating in real life but because these actors know how to perform. In the scene when Gwen Stacy dies, Garfield gives such powerful performance in that scene, making me feel sad for both characters. And Chris Cooper also has some screen time has Norman Osborn and I simply love Dane Dehaan in this movie. Another good thing about this movie is Spider-Man himself. He's much more confident with his abilities than he was in the first movie, he now makes little quips (even if they were unnecessary to the context of the scene) and he's even more agile Now, the action. When I first saw the movie, right in the beginning of it, in the chase scene, I felt like I was watching the classic Spider-Man cartoon and that was just awesome.

Final Score to The Amazing Spider-Man 2: 6/10. This movie isn't half bad. Sure, there's overabundance of characters and subplots, too much product placement and a bloated runtime, but overall, it was pretty enjoyable and even if the movie didn't fulfill your expectations, at least you have to give credit for Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone performances.
  19. Nov 10, 2014
    Too much characters and subplots amongst other cons threaten to overwhelm the movie but the entire cast led by the talented Andrew Garfield (and the visual effects team) once again saves the day.
  20. Aug 31, 2014
    The second movie in the new Spider-man movie series that directed by Marc Webb. I doubt his potential after seeing this movie. I feel someone should take his position before it become too late. In the history of the Spider-man movies, from all the 6 this one is the worst. Commercially it has done a great business that grabbed around $800 million all over the world, but failed to deliverThe second movie in the new Spider-man movie series that directed by Marc Webb. I doubt his potential after seeing this movie. I feel someone should take his position before it become too late. In the history of the Spider-man movies, from all the 6 this one is the worst. Commercially it has done a great business that grabbed around $800 million all over the world, but failed to deliver another quality movie for the fans. The movie engaged with the too much character and subplots. The subplots were not placed in the right spots, kind of random appearance brings the chaos in understanding the story. I had a high hope on this movie and it did not supply well. Frankly, I kind of lost interest in Spider-man. Maybe because it was too soon to reboot, I guess.

‘‘You want to be the hero.
    And now you gotta pay the price.’’

The first movie gave a decent re-start for the refreshed Spider-man movie series. And what happened here in this second installment was a disaster. The first thing is it was nearly a 2 and half an hour movie that brought me lightly a headache to carry on thus far. Actually, it was 10 minutes shorter than what it is now, but in the end they have developed a bit longer to show the opening scene of the third movie. When a movie got a powerful hero, it should have equally matched antagonist. If they are matched, then the fight between them are the next thing to bring the best out of it. I think the Electro man did not click as they have expected, at least not to me. The strength he had was something beyond spider-man, but did not unleash him in a perfect manner. Though Jamie Foxx was not bad in that avatar, the filmmakers kind of wasted his presence for not so good scenes.

Remember the original Spider-man was the modern superhero movies, I mean it was done using computer graphics. Afterwards 'Batman', 'Iron Man', 'Thor' and all were followed. I like the version with Tobey Maguire in it, though my rating declined by movie after another in the trilogy. This reboot series had a good opening, but failed to get the momentum going. Especially all the emotions were looked fakes that do not appeal like the original movie series did. Yes, it had a wonderful box office and that does not mean the movie is good, either worst. But expected a little better, especially in the negative characters. Andrew Garfield was good, not awesome, because most of his masked parts were CGI. Emma stone was another let down and could not help comparing her with Kristen Dunst, because she was no way near, at all. The Dane DeHaan role had the same issue and I don't know why people did not get better space in the movie that ran 140 minutes long. Like I said subplot spoiled everything I think. The digital 3D and stunts were poor. Yeah, there are many things to complain about it than to praise, but all the answer should come in the next sequel. If that makes bigger, not commercially, I mean with a good story, graphics and performances then there will be no problem. But if it fails, I had to say 'bring back the fourth installment of the original movie series'. Definitely not worth a watch, but anyway most of the guys going to watch it or already watched it.
  21. Jun 25, 2014
    The amount of detail put into this film is incredible, whether it be a simple photograph of Gwen and Peter to the complex intricacy of the web-shooters. The draw back is the over saturated plot and clear merchandizing moments, as they are a plenty. Peter Parker loves Gwen, but is torn in his duties as Spider-Man, this probably should either have been the real focus of the film or it shouldThe amount of detail put into this film is incredible, whether it be a simple photograph of Gwen and Peter to the complex intricacy of the web-shooters. The draw back is the over saturated plot and clear merchandizing moments, as they are a plenty. Peter Parker loves Gwen, but is torn in his duties as Spider-Man, this probably should either have been the real focus of the film or it should have been about the villain army master scheme. Both seem to be too much for this one film to handle. Expand
  22. Apr 22, 2015
    One of the reasons Spider-Man endures, as a profitable property and a popular icon, is that he remains an underdog—the superhero who can save the city, but not his friendships or relationships or GPA. Sure, swinging across the Manhattan skyline may be a blast, but it’s hardly compensation for what crime-fighting does to a young man’s personal life. In The Amazing Spider-Man 2, theOne of the reasons Spider-Man endures, as a profitable property and a popular icon, is that he remains an underdog—the superhero who can save the city, but not his friendships or relationships or GPA. Sure, swinging across the Manhattan skyline may be a blast, but it’s hardly compensation for what crime-fighting does to a young man’s personal life. In The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the webhead’s latest cinematic stint, radioactive teen Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) has a lot on his plate. The film opens, in a crosscutting flurry of action, with him nearly missing his high-school graduation to stop a hijacking in process. From there, things only get more complicated: The hero’s haunted by guilt over the death of his girlfriend’s father (Denis Leary); by the fear that he’ll end up drawing said girlfriend, Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone), into the crossfire; and by a burning curiosity about the parents who abandoned him. And that’s to say nothing of the superpowered heavies out for his masked head. As always, and in the immortal but paraphrased words of his dead uncle, Parker grapples with the great responsibility that comes with his great power.

He’s not alone: The creative team behind this expensive, uneven extravaganza has some pretty weighty obligations of its own. With the power of a nine-digit budget comes the responsibility of keeping a franchise chugging along, of introducing new characters while paying off old conflicts, of planting seeds for future installments. Call that the standard burden of crafting a modern comic-book movie; the good ones, like last month’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier, make the multitasking look easy. Here, it looks about as difficult as trying to balance a stack of graphic novels on a thin strand of gossamer.

The best that can be said for this busy sequel is that it rarely resembles, as its 2012 predecessor too frequently did, a mere retread of Sam Raimi’s more eccentric Spider-Man movies. Marc Webb, who seemed faintly overwhelmed by his inaugural blockbuster gig, displays greater confidence behind the camera. His first big action scene, a fevered pursuit through rush-hour traffic, has a puckish energy worthy of the source material. And there are a few scenes of spectacular eye candy, as when Webb turns a moment of catastrophe into a CGI tableau, tracking a single spurt of webbing through a dispersing crowd or down a collapsing clock tower. But the script is rarely so graceful. Power duo Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci struggle to transition among scenes of city-demolishing combat, indie-rock-scored montages of Peter pouting in his room, and intrusions of corporate-espionage backstory. They’ve written a checklist, not a screenplay.

Even at a hefty 142 minutes, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 hasn’t the time for its surfeit of plot, nor for the sprawling ensemble of supporting characters caught in the sticky web Webb weaves. (There’s no room, for example, for Peter’s newspaperman boss, J. Jonah Jameson, who appears only in email form—though maybe that’s for the best, given the unbeatable wonders J.K. Simmons once did with the part.) Dane DeHaan, from Chronicle, brings a sociopathic rich-kid menace to the role of Harry Osborn, heir to the corrupt Oscorp empire. But the movie can spare only a scene or two to develop his complicated kinship with boyhood friend Parker; a relationship that spanned the entire length of Raimi’s trilogy has been condensed into one movie here. Similarly, there’s little Jamie Foxx can do with his villain, walking battery Electro. Kurtzman and Orci position him as a kind of adult-male Carrie, lashing out at a world that’s ignored and mistreated him. His arc, however, never gains any dramatic power; he’s a stalker geek caricature who transforms into a special effect, glowing blue skin and currents of CGI electricity provided in place of an interesting pathology.

Wedged among the endless introductions, the flashy light shows, and the groundwork for future sequels are the occasional grace notes, most of them courtesy of Garfield and Stone. It’s no surprise that the director of (500) Days Of Summer most excels at the romantic side of Spider-Man, the scenes of playful rapport between the superhero and the geeky dream girl he’s somehow snagged. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 arrives at a surprisingly poignant climax for the young lovers, one that Garfield—a whiz at wisecracking and brooding—sells with utmost conviction. Yet even that heartfelt punctuation is rendered perfunctory, just another item on the film’s checklist. Perhaps Webb should have just carbon-copied the decade-old second chapter of Raimi’s trilogy, a much more elegant balancing act between drama and spectacle. Now that was an amazing Spider-Man.
  23. May 15, 2014
    You know i thought we were past these types of superhero films but i guess not. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 sends us back the early to middle 2000's with LOADS of corny scenes also the film is riddled with cliche's almost to a point were its unbearable. I actually waited in line to see this movie and man what a waste of time that was thinking about it now. Ill be honest here and say that iYou know i thought we were past these types of superhero films but i guess not. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 sends us back the early to middle 2000's with LOADS of corny scenes also the film is riddled with cliche's almost to a point were its unbearable. I actually waited in line to see this movie and man what a waste of time that was thinking about it now. Ill be honest here and say that i never really cared for any of the Spider-Man movies other then "Spider-Man" and that's because it had Willem Dafoe in it.

The Amazing Spider-Man was a decent movie overall though it was very underwhelming but The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is just a flat out disappointment. The biggest problem i have with the movie was the Peter Parker, Gwen Stacy story arc it was a majority of the film. I understand that it was need with how the story ends up playing out with Gwen dying but seriously there were so many scenes with that BS that i started to look away from the screen. Another big problem i had with the movie was the CGI the opening car chase scene with Spider-Man trying to catch all the plutonium was beyond crappy looking at that moment both me and my friend looked at each other and shook our heads with a Budget of 200-250 million the CGI should not have been a problem.

Jamie Foxx as Electro was average i was expecting more but his character was so bland and cliched oh hey a loser guy in real life that adores a super hero ends up getting powers of his own then turns evil and despises his once idol. It's lazy writing like that which pisses me off how about come up with something new oh no we cant have that now can we. I really like Dane DeHaan so i was excited to see that he was going to be in this movie i knew that he was going to do a good Harry Osborn again i was wrong they made his character into such a rich cry baby with daddy issues that whines if he doesn't get his way so i was disappointed with his role.

Overall i give it a 5.5 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 sets up for things to come in the Spider-Man universe rather then trying to make a grounded more likable movie. I might give it another watch when its out on blu ray. Marc Webb, Roberto Orci, and Alex Kurtzman straight F***ed this movie nothing more to say
  24. chw
    Apr 10, 2015
    The acting is terrible in the movie. Jamie Foxx was a three-time Oscar nominee, I believe, and he wasted his career away in this. The other actors as well, but luckily, Emma Stone got away, and eventually got nominated for Birdman. The acting was the biggest problem. There are others, such as plot, and how they have a villain in for 90 minutes, another for 10, and another for 5. A terribleThe acting is terrible in the movie. Jamie Foxx was a three-time Oscar nominee, I believe, and he wasted his career away in this. The other actors as well, but luckily, Emma Stone got away, and eventually got nominated for Birdman. The acting was the biggest problem. There are others, such as plot, and how they have a villain in for 90 minutes, another for 10, and another for 5. A terrible way to get ready for the Sinister Six. Expand
  25. Aug 2, 2014
    This sequel' impressive CGI and decent acting cannot outshine a pretty weak and pointless plot. A lot cheesier than its predecessor, it feels like more a videogame than a film that has to say something. "The Amazing Spider-Man" was praiseworthy for its freshness, this one is fresh too but too childish. You will like it if you just fancy something visually spectacular.
  26. Jul 31, 2014
    Yes folks it is indeed that time of the year..again. Where does the year go?. We can all start to smell the freshly popped popcorn in movie theaters, we are starting to wear shorts (well maybe if you don't live in Michigan) right now it is a cool 50 degrees. I digress, I'm referring to the opening of the summer movie going season, and this year's olympian taking the helm is "The AmazingYes folks it is indeed that time of the year..again. Where does the year go?. We can all start to smell the freshly popped popcorn in movie theaters, we are starting to wear shorts (well maybe if you don't live in Michigan) right now it is a cool 50 degrees. I digress, I'm referring to the opening of the summer movie going season, and this year's olympian taking the helm is "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and kicks off the summer in a sporting fashion.
    Sure it does not live up to "Iron Man 3" or "The Avengers". However, in the realm of the Spider-Man universe. Marc Webb has enough emotional connectivity to subdue an audience in a trance, With the stunning growth of Spider-Man himself, Andrew Garfield and on screen girlfriend, Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone). Aside from the original "Spider-Man 2" directed by Sam Rami. This fun, and family friendly adventure is most notably the web slinger's best adventure yet. The tagline itself declares "His biggest battle..begins" and to that I say, indeed it has.

A few years have passed since we saw "Spider-Man" on screen, and a lot of things have changed. Peter Parker is battling some inner demons. Dealing with the guilt of dating Gwen, after he promised her father (as Spider-Man) he would leave her out of it his life. Upon graduating high school the two are forced to make some tough decisions. Though that does not stop Max Dillon (Jamie Foxx) a pencil pusher, who everyone ignores, from falling in a vault of electric shock eels and be zap to smithereens. Causing him to become a forced to be reckoned with. "Don't you know...he's Electro". We also get introduced to an ACTUAL Green Goblin, in the form of Dane DeHaan, forcing Peter Parker to reconcile and understand the consequences of his own actions, even if that means hurting the people he loves most. At the same time finding the undiscovered truth about his parents.

I should probably admit now, I was not a huge fan of the reboot "The Amazing Spider-Man" I just don't think I was ready for a reboot yet, and I felt the original "Spider-Man" accomplished more with characters. Plus, with that being said, you knew what was going to happen. Not to mention that the villain was bogus .. I mean The Lizard?! .. give me a break. Needless to say, Marc Webb has fixed those issues, but inclines new ones. It's very clear that Andrew Garfield has come into the role of Peter Parker, and you can clearly feel that within the opening scenes, and it's just a treat to watch. The on-screen romance between Parker and Stacey was one of the best in recent memory. Sally Field also returns as the wonderful Aunt May.

In addition, Marc Webb takes things a bit too far. There were so many characters to keep up with (I thought) and the balance was just not there. I think Electro had fifteen minutes of actual screentime and two battles. Granted, those battles were slick, cool and engaging. I just wanted a little bit more of that blue looking smurf guy. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" was trying to make the audience feel empathy and to be sappy. The theme of the film is resounding throughout, about facing your fears and dealing with life (something I can appreciate). It's just hard to take it seriously when the film tries to cater to a younger audience, instead of setting a tone throughout the whole film. Films like "The Dark Knight Rises" or last month's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" which solidified it's tone and never changed. "Spider-Man 2" distinctly goes back and forth and at times get's confusing.

Of course, what is a good Spider-Man film without it's villains. The resurrection of the Green Goblin is a sweet one. A big thank you goes out to Dane DeHaan for reinventing this character to groundbreakingly new heights. A way that James Franco or Willem Dafoe could never dream off. Was Jamie Foxx the best choice to play Electro? Sure why not. Was I particularly moved by his performance? not entirely. The character is fun but, if speaking literally, anyone can play it. The battle sequences themselves, were impressive. I screened the film in IMAX 3D and trust me what an experience it was. My heart was probably about to beat out of my chest in the film's climactic battle.The visual effects have improved vastly, since the last adventure. You can tell the crew had a much bigger budget to cater with.

Usually, the summer movie going season is a fun time. Studios release their big tent poles and never hold back. The summer is already off to a great start. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" is a blast, and probably the best adventure we have seen the masked crusader in. Marc Webb has some nice stylized sequences that will make any fanboy happy. Not to mention any casual movie-goer. I will probably see this film again for it's fun energetic pace. The two and half hour run-time just flies by. I had some high expectations heading into this film. I mean if you're going to kick of the summer, you better do it right. Once again, Marvel and their ever expanding world of characters, never disappoint. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" has brought new life into this franchise, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for these characters.

B

Studio: Sony
    Release Date: May 2nd 2014

Thanks For Stopping Buy.
  27. May 2, 2014
    Swinging with high voltage visual effects and fantastic soundtracks, The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro perches above its peers. In a more video game or comic inspired illustration, the overall colorful tone works wonderfully, especially in larger scales fights such as in Times Square, it's baffling not many movies do battles in the famous location. Its multitude of talents does aSwinging with high voltage visual effects and fantastic soundtracks, The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro perches above its peers. In a more video game or comic inspired illustration, the overall colorful tone works wonderfully, especially in larger scales fights such as in Times Square, it's baffling not many movies do battles in the famous location. Its multitude of talents does a great job in bringing the characters to life; chemistry between them is definitely present. Regardless of some flaws, narrative might get crowded sewing numerous plots and villains, the movie will most likely satisfy fans and casual viewers alike.

The story tells origins of Electro and Green Goblin, played by Jamie Foxx and Dane DeHaan respectively, both of which have awkward relationship with the titular hero. Their stories are a bit foreshadowing, even more so to those who have knowledge of the comic or seen the previous trilogy and this might just be too predictable for some. Nevertheless the movie does a decent job on modernizing the villains and keeping them grounded without being too comical, it's a good choice not to put Electro in green yellow spandex. Jamie Foxx certainly has charisma for the main villain, although the fanatic aspect of the character in early parts is odd. It's a bit silly and too old-fashioned for an origin tale, he then becomes more appropriately menacing later on, partly due the blue CG face.

Dane DeHaan is a suitable cast for Harry Osborn, I daresay even better than James Franco who previously donned the green cape. He's an eerie reminiscence of young Leonardo DiCaprio, even with similar hairdo. He takes the role of Harry into a darker more obsessed persona, one with volatile and conniving nature. Most of the movie is oriented in Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) and Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) as they struggle with emotion and passion. Both of them showcase personal touches; it's apparent that Garfield admirably tries to fill the protagonist role. Spider-Man is a closer more relatable superhero as he endures doubt, guilt, and even the things ordinary folks go through daily, Garfield plays to this strength pretty well. Props to Sally Field and Chris Cooper as parental figures, each the polar opposite of the other, complementing the hero and villain, respectively.

Graphic differs from the usual gritty mainstream superhero flicks, New York is displayed in all its vibrant wonder. At first, it seems a tad close to video game, but I fancy the distinct feel. When the movie talks about hope aplenty, it helps to view the world in radiance. Action is great, often taking camera angles close to Spider-Man, slowing down just barely at the moment of impact. The use of audio matches pretty well, Hans Zimmer is a master in this regard. Many techno dubstep tracks focused on Electro blazing in the background and electrically pumping adrenaline, it may appear ludicrous at first, but it fits the movie brilliantly. Pop and rock songs litter the movie, played just in the right time. The production value is aggressive and undeniably entertaining.

The story sadly may stutter throughout the movie, there are just too many angles to show. From the romance between the two, origins of villains, the lingering past, the pace sometimes take too long on certain element and not enough on some. Not to mention the transition can be cumbersome, it doesn't help that the usual coincidence and practical cliché plots still persist. The flaws are there, yet its entire cast and production value overshadow them. Its simple premise of one overcoming their crisis is emotionally captivating, effectively presented and thoroughly entertaining.
  28. Aug 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was amazing alright, but not for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the first Amazing Spider-Man. Sadly, what Marc Webb just did with #2 threw it all away. I saw the movie in IMAX 3-D and it came out as a watershed deja vu of Spider-Man 3 all over again. The good news is that the chemistry between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy worked incredibly beautiful, and Sally Field as Aunt May is perfect. (Extra points for Stan "The Man" Lee's cameo)

There is one problem: The film is TOO DAMN LONG!

Some are good, the rest fells flat in the face. The story doesn't feel any resemblance to Spider-Man unique origins story and turn it into a 2 1/2 hour full of a disjointed action romp that's filled with plotholes and cheesey one-liners. I almost forgot that Electro's character development is just the polar opposite of bland and dull. Jamie Foxx's performance as the lightning-rod villain/alter-ego Max Dillion is questionable. And Electro's CGI elements are overrot. He always complains too much with this mess. The (almost) ending scene where Gwen Stacy dies doesn't make any sense. It was supposed to be happily ever after and now Webb screwed it up. In fact, he screwed the rest of the fans (including, myself) and try to alienate the rebooted Spider-Man franchise from scratch. So much for Spider-Man 4. Also, earlier this year, I thought underrated newcomer Shailene Woodley should've, would,ve and could've been a great choice casting as fan-fave Mary Jane in #2, but I seriously don't understand why she was taken out of the picture and add Gwen Stacy instead. She is a great actress (although Divergent is very decent) and saying that she's not pretty enough might send the wrong message and let this baffoon of a director pretended that it was some sort of a mistake. F**k you, Marc Webb. I was surprised that all of the action is wasting too much time. Sure it might've been good, but I fell asleep and needless to say, that is not how you make a grand entrance to a supposedly amazing sequel, period. And whoever told Paul Giamatti plays as a laughable villain named Rhino almost at the end and Spider-Man challenges him to a one-on-one battle? That really pisses me off. Movie's over. Wait...what? A new clip showing Mystique kicking the living hell out of the government? Thanks a lot, Sony. I smell a lawsuit between both Sony and Fox because both are Marvel films (outside of Disney's intellectual respects), but they have no business revealing the new teaser for Days of Future Past. If they need to make a third Amazing Spider-Man movie, they need to tone down the action a little along with Peter Parker's ongoing chemistry with Gwen, try to add Green Goblin or Mary Jane and don't even try to rush the characters into a walking recycled douche, and keep the movie an hour and a half because I'm still reeling right now and still angry. I would write an angry letter to Sony and hopefully they should add the extended cut of the movie on Blu-Ray. Not this moment, but probably during the Winter. When you see another superhero movie going to add another sequel in a few years, something is wrong. And that's why I have had enough of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Top down in every level, I should put this in the 10 Worst Superhero Movie Sequels next time.
  29. May 4, 2014
  30. Aug 17, 2014
    This second installment of the Spiderman reboot is a bit greater than it’s predecessor, but it suffers with the same deficiencies.

Well the CGI is incredible, and the action is okay, but not as great as I would define as awesome. The soundtrack is a bit more epic than it’s predecessor, but I miss a more greater one. The negative aspects are of course the bad ending, the slow amount of action, the weird story and the bad actor Andrew Garfield as Spiderman. I'm actually surprised that this movie isn’t that epic as I would want it to be, because it got two awesome writers: Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who gave us Star Trek (2009) and other great films.

My conclusion of The Amazing Spiderman 2 is that it’s greater than the first movie, but it still suffer with bad directing and writing.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 get a 6.7/10
  31. May 24, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is one of those films that almost fall over its own weight. Its a case where the Studio were so anxious that it almost derails the whole film. Three villains..so many plot points to deliver to lead into the 'bigger' Spider-Man 'universe', and basically storylines for essentially two films were crammed into one single film. It could have been a disaster if only forThe Amazing Spider-Man 2 is one of those films that almost fall over its own weight. Its a case where the Studio were so anxious that it almost derails the whole film. Three villains..so many plot points to deliver to lead into the 'bigger' Spider-Man 'universe', and basically storylines for essentially two films were crammed into one single film. It could have been a disaster if only for one thing...Andrew Garfield is a great Spider-Man / Peter Parker. This is the character envisioned in the comic book, more faithful that Tobey Macguire's interpretation. As Spider-Man, he is sarcastic, talkative and funny. As Peter Parker, he is filled with angst at his constant personal problems. Those little emotional moments, be it with Aunt May and Gwen Stacy, or with his other New Yorkers, big and small, are the highlights of this flick, and its saving grace. Expand
  32. Nov 23, 2014
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 es una película que da algunas sorpresas conforme avanza el film, a parte de que la película ofrece una trama interesante y curiosa, que sin dudas fue mejor de lo que esperaba.
  33. May 2, 2014
    It's just so bland and boring.... the film lacks a pulse. There was one genuinely heart-felt moment toward the very end of the film that got me, but the rest? Very blah. The second Captain America film was a thousand times better than this film. The chemistry between the two leads is meager, the bad guys don't inspire fear like those in the the Dark Knight series - not even close. YouIt's just so bland and boring.... the film lacks a pulse. There was one genuinely heart-felt moment toward the very end of the film that got me, but the rest? Very blah. The second Captain America film was a thousand times better than this film. The chemistry between the two leads is meager, the bad guys don't inspire fear like those in the the Dark Knight series - not even close. You can't even put those two franchises in the same paragraph. I was a HUGE Spider-Man fan as a kid - what a shame that they can't make a good movie for this character. (Or a good video game, for that matter.) Expand
  34. May 22, 2014
    Marvel movies just don't interest me anymore. I have never really been a big fan, but at least back before The Avengers they were enjoyable to say the least.

SPOILER ALERT: The villains suck. Electro is crap. He just whined and moaned about how Spiderman "lied to him" in half his scenes. He is the main villain and he is almost as weak as Sandman in the slightly worse Spider-Man 3, just for the record. Rhino is also in the movie and appeared in the trailer just as much as the other two villains, he is actually in the movie for about four minutes. And it's in the last scene. And you don't even see him get defeated. I'm not a Marvel fanboy and have never really cared for the original comics and how close the movies were to them. However if I were an annoying Marvel fanboy I would be pissed about the misleading advertisement. Finally the third villain The Green Goblin, one of the best things about the Raimi Spider-Man movies, is actually pretty cool, it's just a shame that he is only in the movie (as The Green Goblin not Harry Osborn) for ten minutes at the most. DeHaan is the best thing about the movie, he always grabs my attention no matter what movie he is in. The villains are not the only problem with the characters though. All of the cast play messy characters, in a decent way, the only above average performance is from Dane DeHaan who is always strangely entertaining. The plot has potential to be very interesting, but the amount of stuff going on at once is confusing and somehow quite boring. Maybe it is even more overstuffed than the legendary Spider-Man 3. Also the tone of the movie is inconsistent. Sometimes it is grim and reasonably realistic. Others it is like a kids movie full of slapstick gags and lame pants jokes. Some things are just downright ridiculous, I mean Spiderman is basically Superman. He can pretty much fly and use his webs to do anything. Like catch a police car? Seriously? There is no mystery in this movie because it feels like the writers just wrote in new things Spiderman is capable of doing so he doesn't die.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 is probably going to end up being yet another superhero movie fawned over by fanboys for the next couple of years, but personally I won't bother watching it again. I quite like the twist (even if I didn't care for the characters involved much) towards the end, overall the finished product met my expectations. A weak and predictable superhero movie with close to no redeeming features.
  35. May 7, 2014
    The best comic book film since The Dark Knight trilogy brings us an unforgettable experience which can only be described as a roller coaster. Firstly, what I think it´s the most important thing is that the film has a HEART, which is very rare to see in most Marvel movies (thanks Sony and thanks Spider-man). The emotional content is strong and ends giving us a climax that is one of the mostThe best comic book film since The Dark Knight trilogy brings us an unforgettable experience which can only be described as a roller coaster. Firstly, what I think it´s the most important thing is that the film has a HEART, which is very rare to see in most Marvel movies (thanks Sony and thanks Spider-man). The emotional content is strong and ends giving us a climax that is one of the most impacting scenes in comic book films history, it is truly memorable in fact. The cast has to be the best in a comic book film ever, with Andrew Garfield showing he is the best for this role once more, Emma Stone stealing the show as a very strong female character (Gwen Stacy), Dane Dehaan (probably the best young actor along with Andrew in Hollywood right now) and Shally Field. The chemistry between them is crazy. Then there´s the stunning visuals, the film is so bright and colorful. One of the show stopping moments comes thanks to Electro in Times Square, ridiculously fun. I found the score to be great too (something Marvel movies usually lack). Hans Zimmer is a genius, so no surprise there. In addition to all of this film gives as some closure when it comes to Peter Parker´s parents in a very tense opening scene and later on too. The problem some people seem to have is that there are many things going on, and I understand that argument, but at the same time it did not bother me at all. The film could have been longer and I´d have been fine with it. All in all, amazing blockbuster, go see it guys. I am glad it is being the most successful film of the year so far worldwide. Expand
  36. May 26, 2014
    Garfield/Webb is quickly becoming to Spider-Man what Clooney/Schumacher was to the Batman franchise. I'm surprised the Transformers didn't make an appearance.
  37. May 3, 2014
    Good stuff! I enjoyed it. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have really solid chemistry that Mark Webb uses his background in indies to extract quite well. The plot could have been tightened up a bit, but overall it was a solid time at the movies.
  38. Oct 22, 2014
    It’s great to be Spider-Man. For Peter Parker, there’s no feeling quite like swinging between skyscrapers, embracing being the hero, and spending time with Gwen. But being Spider-Man comes at a price: only Spider-Man can protect his fellow New Yorkers from the formidable villains that threaten the city. With the emergence of Electro, Peter must confront a foe far more powerful than he. AndIt’s great to be Spider-Man. For Peter Parker, there’s no feeling quite like swinging between skyscrapers, embracing being the hero, and spending time with Gwen. But being Spider-Man comes at a price: only Spider-Man can protect his fellow New Yorkers from the formidable villains that threaten the city. With the emergence of Electro, Peter must confront a foe far more powerful than he. And as his old friend, Harry Osborn, returns, Peter comes to realize that all of his enemies have one thing in common: Oscorp. Expand
  39. Aug 4, 2014
    It was an ok movie but it was too long. Took about an hour before something finally started to happen they could of easily cut 40-50 min or so and it would of been just fine (It last 2h 20min). Acting is good, story was ok and thanks to the ending I now want to know what happens next, like RIGHT NOW.
  40. Jul 14, 2014
    Bad script, poor dialogue, yet ‘amazing’ visuals strengthened with solid acting, The Amazing Spider Man 2 lives down expectations with a scattershot storyline, an overabundance of villains, and a pace far to fast for viewers to enjoy.
  41. May 9, 2014
    The CGI and SFX in this movie was well executed and gave a excellent taste of whats coming. The action and fight scenes were the best and gave a sense of epicness. This movie was the best spider man by far and one that I'll watch again and again.
  42. May 5, 2014
    The first one wasnt good, but this one surprised me, i had no expectations from that movie so i thought it was really good, it has his issues but its surprising.
  43. May 4, 2014
    Definitely a worthy and entertaining sequel to the first "Amazing Spiderman" film. Like its predecessor, this one sticks remarkably close to the comics and certainly brings back a few nostalgic (and tragic) moments. The action and effects were great, if not, a little excessive at times. Andrew Garfield once again fulfills his role nicely, as does Emma Stone. Jamie Fox pulls of a decentDefinitely a worthy and entertaining sequel to the first "Amazing Spiderman" film. Like its predecessor, this one sticks remarkably close to the comics and certainly brings back a few nostalgic (and tragic) moments. The action and effects were great, if not, a little excessive at times. Andrew Garfield once again fulfills his role nicely, as does Emma Stone. Jamie Fox pulls of a decent performance as Electro, and Dane DeHaan makes for quite an impressive and sinister Harry Osborne. Overall, with the great effects, performances, and story that's remarkably loyal to the comics, this makes for one of the best and most fun Spiderman entries so far! Expand
  44. Jan 22, 2015
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 faces almost the same problems that it's predecessor faced. The screenplay is weak and the story line lacks structure and consistency. The overlong story is clichéd, crowded with villains and contains some unnecessary subplots forced into it.
    It doesn't really surpass it's predecessor and considering the recent achievements of the superhero genre in recent years, the Amazing Spiderman 2 is a huge step back. It's not more than just a popcorn flick. It disappointingly fails a whole lot more than it succeeds.
  45. Dec 21, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is not what we expected to be "Better than the original".The Movie Suffers of too much characters and underdeveloped Villains,and the so many plots.Despite great actors playing they're roles.,The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a disappointing movie for a spider-man fan or any people who watches it.
  46. May 5, 2014
    If the new Spider-Man could represent one thing, it would be hope; hope that Sony can deliver as Disney and Paramount Pictures have with its Marvel mammoth The Avengers cannon; hope that their reboot is a successful and advancing platform towards a very large and lucratively sinister franchise future; and hope that will restore faith in the amazingness in its highly popular comic bookIf the new Spider-Man could represent one thing, it would be hope; hope that Sony can deliver as Disney and Paramount Pictures have with its Marvel mammoth The Avengers cannon; hope that their reboot is a successful and advancing platform towards a very large and lucratively sinister franchise future; and hope that will restore faith in the amazingness in its highly popular comic book wall-crawling character after a trilogy not too long ago.

Spider-Man is undoubtedly a symbol of hope; a beacon of goodness; an ideal for morality. Growing up, Spider-Man was and continues to be one of my favourite comic book characters. Riding on emotion and sentiment, the web head is a fictional comic book character written as imperfectly as you and me.

Making his fifth entry on the big screen in just twelve years in Marc Webb’s second installment of the Amazing Spider-Man series, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is less amazing and more routine. At times, the film shines as a gemstone indie love story similar to Webb’s Sundance breakout hit 500 Days of Summer, then, just seconds later, becomes a highly explosive and cartoonish PG suitable Transformers imitation. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is as confused a film as its lead human character Peter Parker, taking too many liberties with his story yet trying to stay true to the comic book character Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created over fifty years ago. Thankfully, actor Andrew Garfield suits up again and holds the emotional scenes of the film together as the wise-cracking identity confused teenager, nailing every subtle and bold Peter Parker nuance while facing off against many obstacles and three very pissed off villains in what has been marketed as ‘his greatest battle yet’.

With the exception of Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 3, the last of Raimi’s trilogy with the character and a total train wreck, the films seem to be making a slow but steady decline in narrative, quality filmmaking and heart–and the same could be said with The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Rebooting the series in 2012 for the sole purpose of making great use of movie theatres current obsession of 3D and applying it to Spidey’s first person metropolitan web-swinging, the point-of-view filming approach makes up for mere minutes of the film, usually focusing on the tormented personality of Peter Parker and the difficult choices he needs to make, as both a man and a hero, which was already visited in the first trilogy. Not that we are expecting a film to be made in the same way as the disastrous POV bomb Doom, but if the studio did decide to revisit a highly successful series only years after the first one was complete, at least make it worth while for the audience to drop the $20 for admission.

In the first Amazing Spider-Man film, Webb’s narrative felt like a familiar story of Peter Parker with a new villain. Thankfully, the series was able to pick up massive talent with a director who flourishes in his ability to flesh out the fine chemistry between his actors as seen with 500 Days of Summer and is able to create highly emotional, gut-wrenching bonds between lovers, friends, allies and enemies. With the talented Mr.Webb behind the lens, the Amazing franchise brought Peter Parker more vividly to life with the passionate and caring Andrew Garfield, who proved on many occasions how humbled and dedicated he was highlighting a side of Peter Parker in a way that Tobey Maguire never could. His interactions with his aunt and love interests Gwen are the best scenes in the film, hands down. Kudos to Ms. Emma Stone, who brings Peter Parker’s first love Gwen Stacy to life with pizzazz and spunk for a second time and finally rids herself of all the Emma Stone nuances that made her performance distracting in the first film.

Picking up exactly where the last film left off in terms of secrets and mysteries, the film opens up to a flashback of Peter Parker’s parent’s disappearance. Richard and Mary Parker (Campbell Scott and Embeth Davidtz) leave New York and their son behind after double-crossing Oscorp. Flash forward nearly two decades and their son is saving the big apple in his blue and red spandex suit, one fallen fruit at a time.

One of the most interesting mythos behind Spider-Man is his bond with humanity and his internal struggle. Spider-Man is cocky and comical throughout the film, usually minimizing the severity of the action and violence going on around him. Meanwhile, Peter Parker is a highly emotional and tragic character whose curse lays in his inability to distance himself from the people he loves the most. Spider-Man narratives have always been about making choices, choosing paths and learning from one’s mistakes. Almost all the comic book characters getting the big screen treatment have been adapting what I like to call The Dark Knight formula; a formula that allows its characters to somewhat be rooted in reality, adding a drizzle of grittiness.
  47. Nov 27, 2014
    The first one wasn't so amazing (I didn't like it that much) I found more enjoyment in the second installment in Mark Webb's Spider-Man Saga. Highly divided, I stand on the side saying I thought this was a good movie. The action was cool and Andrew Garfield is just excellent as Spider-Man (but no Tobey Maguire).
  48. May 6, 2014
    Mentre sullo sfondo già si profilano gli episodi tre e quattro, la seconda puntata della nuova serie dedicata all’Uomo Ragno si mantiene sulle coordinate del capitolo che aveva dato inizio di nuovo alla storia rafforzandone (troppo?) le caratteristiche per un risultato con qualche chiaroscuro che sarebbe stato meglio evitare: l’intrattenimento è assicurato, ma la qualità complessiva èMentre sullo sfondo già si profilano gli episodi tre e quattro, la seconda puntata della nuova serie dedicata all’Uomo Ragno si mantiene sulle coordinate del capitolo che aveva dato inizio di nuovo alla storia rafforzandone (troppo?) le caratteristiche per un risultato con qualche chiaroscuro che sarebbe stato meglio evitare: l’intrattenimento è assicurato, ma la qualità complessiva è lontana dai migliori Spider-man. I personaggi restano degli adolescenti – per la precisione dei diciottenni, così che per interpretare Peter, Gwen e uno dei ‘cattivi’, Harry/il Goblin, gli attori sono costretti a togliersi almeno una decina d’anni - mentre la sceneggiatura (firmata a sei mani da Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci e Jeff Pinker) si sofferma a lungo sugli aspetti psicologici, specie quelli del protagonista principale, faticando però ad amalgamarli con una parte d’azione che finisce quasi in secondo piano. L’attenzione è concentrata soprattutto sul rapporto tra Peter e Gwen, ovvero sui tormenti di lui che si ritrova costretto a scegliere tra la missione di supereroe e l’amore: il tempo per fare tutto non c’è – il tema del tempo riemerge spesso, partendo dal discorso della ragazza alla cerimonia del diploma per culminare nei meccanismi dell’orologio in cui si svolge una delle scene chiave – e il giovanotto si strugge nello stabilire dove prendere prima. Una decisione complicata anche dal moltiplicarsi di sottotrame che danno qua e là l’impressione di non essere sfruttate appieno: mentre l’apparentemente ritrovato rapporto con l’amico Harry non presta il fianco a critiche di sorta, le ricerche sulla scomparsa dei genitori valorizzano poco la bella idea della Roosvelt Station e la ‘nascita’ di Electro, oltre a presentare poco di nuovo, è minata, nel prosieguo dalla caricaturale figura del dotto Kafka. Il che porta dritti alla constatazione che i momenti migliori siano quelli che narrano l’amore tra i due giovani e la combinazione che ne deriva fatta da profonda attrazione, doveri morali e voglia d’indipendenza. Insomma, dopo il prologo avventuroso la riflessione prevale sull’azione per un centinaio di minuti buoni, ma questo non vuol dire che ci si annoi perché la storia è ben costruita, con il contrappunto dalle infinite chiacchiere nonchè battute del protagonista, così che il tempo passa senza che lo spettatore se ne accorga: è anzi la resa dei conti, casomai, a perdere qualche colpo forse anche perché è in versione depurata per evitare di incappare nelle maglie della censura. Ridotti sono pure i voli tra i grattacieli, anche se la skyline di New York consente comunque di costruire inquadrature che sfruttano appieno il grande schermo (la fotografia è di Dan Mindel): alternando gli spazi a un efficace lavoro sui primi piani: nel complesso, la regia di Webb non inventa nulla, ma risulta peraltro funzionale a quello che deve raccontare. Coerente alle scelte stilistiche è anche la colonna sonora meno roboante del solito di Hans Zimmer che, nelle parti in cui non imperversa il pieno d’orchestra, si avvale della collaborazione di Johnny Marr e Pharrell Williams. Infine, gli interpreti seguono il destino dei loro personaggi: se Garfield e Stone confermano la sintonia e la bravura già notate nella prima puntata mentre Sally Field è di nuovo una zia May di notevole misura malgrado il poco tempo a disposizione, nei panni degli avversari dell’eroe Dane DeHaan ha qualche spazio in più come Harry prima di diventare il Goblin ma, per il resto, si nota di più la divertita comparsata di Paul Giamatti nei panni di un criminale russo di quanto non faccia Jamie Foxx che, nei panni Electro, è decisamente sprecato a parte un paio di scene quando è ancora Max Dillon. Expand
  49. May 3, 2014
    Considerando que o ultimo filme não me agradou , fui para ver este com a quase certeza de decepção certa, mas tomei um violento tapa do diretor Marc Webb, pois o filme é muito bom com uma reviravolta tonal e do enredo muito interessante ,seus unicos erros são a colocação do romance entre peter e gwen em momentos inoportunos e o roteiro que as vezes é um pouco preguiçoso.
  50. May 7, 2014
    While this movie is entertaining - it failed to live up to expectations! Great acting and action; superb chemistry between Gwen and Peter! Terrible villain developing; forgettable score! Overall Amazing S-M 2 is on the quality level of Raimy's Spider-man 3 - entertaining but flawed !!!
  51. Jun 15, 2014
    The best Spider-Man movie ever. Trust me, anyone who likes superheroes will love this movie. It will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. And remember to watch the end credits scene.
  52. May 2, 2014
    Loved the film. the pasting was off, the villains were rused and it was more Romantic then action packed, but hey, the film had brilliant acting, a SPECTACULAR soundtrack and more MEMORABLE marvel villains compared 2 most Disney films, im looking at u Iron Man 3, with breath taking moments and the most believable romantic relationship ever presented from a superhero film, Emma stoneLoved the film. the pasting was off, the villains were rused and it was more Romantic then action packed, but hey, the film had brilliant acting, a SPECTACULAR soundtrack and more MEMORABLE marvel villains compared 2 most Disney films, im looking at u Iron Man 3, with breath taking moments and the most believable romantic relationship ever presented from a superhero film, Emma stone gives a stunning performance as Gwen Stacy and Garfield is Peter Parker/Spider-Man, he is the closets to Spidy live ever seen from a live action film.

The film is riddled in flaws, yet, the films Pros are almost at par with the faults. Overall i really, really enjoyed the film, probs a bit 2 much, and im Definitely going back 2 see the film again
  53. Jan 4, 2015
    There is some fun to be had, but The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has so many ongoing plot points that the entire movie lacks focus. That, and the characters were lacking in almost all departments. It's still mildly enjoyable, but it's not as good as it could have been.
  54. Jan 11, 2015
    To my surprise, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 improves on its predecessor but suffers from the too many bad guys approach of Spider-Man 3. Nevertheless, this film has finally reached the greatness of the older trilogy.
  55. Jan 4, 2015
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 es un espectáculo visual, supera en todos los aspectos a su primera parte, aun así hay cosas que se manejaron un poco mal y pudo haber estado mejor, cumple con algunas de las expectativas.
  56. May 21, 2014
    Peter Parker has so much baggage – and it is baggage that drags – I don’t know how he has time to do his homework, let alone fight crime, yet he does. And when I read the whopping 142-minute runtime in advance of the film, I thought that was a little bloated, but it turns out to be not enough for everything director Marc Webb wants to achieve. I’m not suggesting the film should have beenPeter Parker has so much baggage – and it is baggage that drags – I don’t know how he has time to do his homework, let alone fight crime, yet he does. And when I read the whopping 142-minute runtime in advance of the film, I thought that was a little bloated, but it turns out to be not enough for everything director Marc Webb wants to achieve. I’m not suggesting the film should have been longer, I’m suggesting Webb should have tried to do more with less instead of trying to do too much at all. Expand
  57. May 3, 2014
    The events that took place in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 are enough to make one question if it was really worth rebooting the Spider-Man series two years ago.
  58. Nov 2, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a sequel that surprisingly does what most sequels do not: deliver. This film builds off of the action, teen angst and intensity of The Amazing Spider-Man by bringing the themes of human connection and loss as well as a wide array of beloved and new villains. Andrew Garfield fits comfortably into the role of Peter Parker as he delivers a charismatic and strongThe Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a sequel that surprisingly does what most sequels do not: deliver. This film builds off of the action, teen angst and intensity of The Amazing Spider-Man by bringing the themes of human connection and loss as well as a wide array of beloved and new villains. Andrew Garfield fits comfortably into the role of Peter Parker as he delivers a charismatic and strong performance as the webbed hero. The writing for the most part is passable, minus a few odd phrasings in dialogue. Expand
  59. May 3, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is finally here! and this movie kicks ass! DON'T LISTEN TO THE CRITICS. Go in and have an awesome time because this movie is a fun fun fun ride. There are problems yes, but no movie is without flaws and this movie HEAVILY out weighs the good with bad. here are my ratings:

1. Cast: 9/10 - great preformances from all except Paul Giamatti (IMO, however that may have had to do with the little screen time.)
    2. Action: 9/10- audiences will love the final battle between Electro and Goblin
    3. Plot: 8/10
    4. Score: 7/10- I love hans zimmer but unfortuantly he isnt as strong here. a few hits for sure.
    5. Effects: 10/10
    6. Theater Experience: 9/10
    I will not go in depth here and ruin the movie but go see this movie and ignore the critics!
  60. May 3, 2014
    Not as bad as Raimi's spider man 3, but it lacks a certain gravitas maybe?? The script is light and airy, but I felt a lot of lines were kind of cheesy one liners. No doubt Garefield and Stone can act as well as Jamie Foxx. But I hate to beat dead horse but these multiple villian plot lines just dont work for a movie like spider man. I imagine they are just teasing with Rhino and heNot as bad as Raimi's spider man 3, but it lacks a certain gravitas maybe?? The script is light and airy, but I felt a lot of lines were kind of cheesy one liners. No doubt Garefield and Stone can act as well as Jamie Foxx. But I hate to beat dead horse but these multiple villian plot lines just dont work for a movie like spider man. I imagine they are just teasing with Rhino and he will be the next one, Why though do we need yet another Harry Osbourne Jr. origin story when it has been featured in the previous installments. A lot of it just felt stale and when the action wasnt booming the movie comes to a screeching halt. There are some creative moments and the action is filmed extremely well though. Expand
  61. May 3, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-man 2, while not a great movie, manages to be better than, in my opinion, its boring predecessor. Garfield, Stone, and DeHann are great in this film and Garfield feels more like Spider-man from the comics (funny and cool). However, I wasn't pleased by Foxx's and Giamatti's (brief) performance. As good as DeHann's acting was, all three villains felt bland and wateredThe Amazing Spider-man 2, while not a great movie, manages to be better than, in my opinion, its boring predecessor. Garfield, Stone, and DeHann are great in this film and Garfield feels more like Spider-man from the comics (funny and cool). However, I wasn't pleased by Foxx's and Giamatti's (brief) performance. As good as DeHann's acting was, all three villains felt bland and watered down, especially Electro, who in the first half of the film got me hyped to see him. In addition, the story was tedious and boring. Captain America: The Winter Soldier perfected the plot and dialogue based superhero story, but The Amazing Spider-man 2 tries and fails to do the same. Expand
  62. May 2, 2014
    The first instalment was pretty solid, but this film, tries so desperately to make us laugh with flat jokes, cry with unexpected deaths, and be on the edge of our seats with lame action sequences; with laughable villains that just try to be popular. But there's still something about The Amazing Spider-Man franchise that can be repair for the next one.
  63. Aug 29, 2014
    I wasn't as impressed as I was looking to be. It's only getting harder and harder to make good superhero films these days and I just couldn't find a good hook in this one. There's a particular feel that the Spider-man has and I felt like he was delivered as well as he could have been but the other acting performances and weak plot and subplots just watered down that feel. Problems startedI wasn't as impressed as I was looking to be. It's only getting harder and harder to make good superhero films these days and I just couldn't find a good hook in this one. There's a particular feel that the Spider-man has and I felt like he was delivered as well as he could have been but the other acting performances and weak plot and subplots just watered down that feel. Problems started popping up that beg the question why they bothered to reboot this superhero. What's the point of Rhino? How come Jamie Foxx's character has a way weird and awkward personality then just magically becomes BA after he gets superpowers. (Okay common issue in many superhero films but that doesn't change the lack of development in the villains.) The boyfriend, girlfriend, just friends, fluctuations were just too labored and plain wasted time. I mean estrogen much? That being said, I liked Emma Stone. I felt like she stepped into her character nicely but they totally had to ruin that didn't they. This movie isn't a total loss, its worth a watch or two at best. Expand
  64. Jan 17, 2015
    For a movie about Spider-Man, one of the most beloved superheroes ever, this movie is shockingly clichéd and dull. The dialog is awkward and not particularly well-written, and the plot was a jumbled mess of villains, action sequences, and secondary characters you couldn't care less about. The score would be lower if not for an emotional moment towards the end.

5.4/10
  65. Oct 8, 2014
    One of the worst superhero films of all time. Maybe 25% of the movie is dedicated to any interaction between Spidey and the villains in the film. The rest of the movie is just one huge drama fest that comes across as a glorified episode of Days of our lives. I'm not going anywhere near Amazing Spider-man 3 if Marc Webb is directing it. He has no clue how to direct a superhero film.
  66. WJS
    Dec 20, 2014
    This movie is all about the special effects (which are fantastic) even though it tries to be about the interpersonal relationships of the characters. Unfortunately the scenes with the interpersonal dialogue are overwrought and the visual and action sequences are directed with a very heavy hand. The actors are very good and do their best with the dialogue and direction but really, thisThis movie is all about the special effects (which are fantastic) even though it tries to be about the interpersonal relationships of the characters. Unfortunately the scenes with the interpersonal dialogue are overwrought and the visual and action sequences are directed with a very heavy hand. The actors are very good and do their best with the dialogue and direction but really, this movie just doesn't succeed above a Spider Man cartoon or comic book. Expand
  67. May 2, 2014
    This sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man is bigger and bolder in every way: more villains, more subplots and storylines, more action sequences and CGI, etc. There is a lot riding on this sequel, because after this Sony is planning an Amazing Spider-Man 3 and 4, a Sinister Six film, and a Venom film. Sony is trying to replicate the billions of dollars Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)This sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man is bigger and bolder in every way: more villains, more subplots and storylines, more action sequences and CGI, etc. There is a lot riding on this sequel, because after this Sony is planning an Amazing Spider-Man 3 and 4, a Sinister Six film, and a Venom film. Sony is trying to replicate the billions of dollars Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) has made, and to do that means a bigger universe and more characters, right? The reviews for this movie have been mixed. This movie has a lot of pressure on it to succeed, and in some people’s opinions that didn’t happen because of the comparisons to the original Sam Raimi trilogy (Spider-Man 2 in particular, and Spider-Man 3 due to the fact that each have 3 villains) and the comic book source material.

The question is: does The Amazing Spider-Man 2 surpass its predecessors? I do like the original movies. I will always have a place for them—I grew up with them as a kid; I once thought Spider-Man 3 was the best movie ever! However, I have re-watched them (I own the entire trilogy on DVD, even Spider-Man 2.1) and I now see they aren’t perfect. I have also reviewed them on Metacritic; so I won’t get so in-depth here. Nostalgia’s a mixed bag, isn’t it?

In my personal opinion, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is better than The Amazing Spider-Man and slightly surpasses the original trilogy. Why do I believe that? Well, it’s honestly because it feels more fun and exciting to ME; the action in the film and the personality of Spider-Man is appealing to ME.
    The cast is great and has improved. Andrew Garfield has done a better job of making Peter more funny and playful now in this second film instead of the jerk and douchebag he was in the first. Gwen and Peter’s relationship in this film is as cute as ever. In real life Andrew and Emma Stone are a couple. And so their on-and-off screen chemistry works out beautifully in my opinion; they are great (even if their relationship is pretty bumpy in the movie). Aunt May shows more emotion.

Now, some will compare this to Spider-Man 3 simply because they each have three villains. But Rhino has a small and minor role in this film; he is only in the film for a total of 5 or 6 minutes, including without his mech-suit. So he almost doesn’t count, and that leaves Electro and the Green Goblin. I personally liked both but both are a bit rushed. Dane DeHaan is a great Harry Osborn: he’s charismatic, gives depth to the character, and delivers a level of anger and sorrow I haven’t seen in him before. I think he wouldn’t have felt so rushed if he had been introduced in the first film. Max Dillon’s transformation from Spider-Man-obsessed, electrical worker nobody to super-powerful super-villain is done OK. However, his reasons of hatred toward Spider-Man are a bit weak. The trio of villains could’ve had more screentime as their alter-egos, and I think there should’ve been more of a bigger fight between them and Spider-Man. Electro wasn’t used to his full potential, and neither was the Green Goblin. (Maybe we’ll see more in TASM 3 or the Sinister Six?) Both of these classic villains had a change in design, but I still like their look; I honestly never had a problem with it. The new films might not be the most faithful to the comics, but things change. I understand that hardcore fans might be upset, but in Hollywood movies adaptations often stray a bit from the source material. I have accepted this change. The CGI and color palette from the trailers, featurettes, TV spots, etc., has definitely improved (As an example, that one scene where Spider-Man hits the Rhino with a sewer lid—the background that was bright blue against an orange explosion has improved, darker, and more realistic colors.)

The whole movie moves too quick from scene to scene. Villains weren’t used to full potential. The movie relies too heavily on bait/teases for future films. It’s like an ad, for an ad, for an ad. It feels less like a movie and more like a chapter in a book. His greatest battle? His greatest battle so far! However, all things considered, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a good movie, yet flawed. I hope if you disagree with me that this detailed review at least explains well enough my point of view.

If you liked this in-depth review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows (including the original Spider-Man trilogy and other superhero movies) by clicking on my name or obviously on the “Read this User’s Reviews” button, and please mark this review as helpful. I put as much thought and effort into these reviews as I can, and it’s just a hobby so I’d be thankful. I almost passed my maximum character limit!

*SPOILERS AHEAD*
    The character of Gwen Stacy died too soon. She had more potential and was just a great character; I liked her a lot more than Kirsten Dunst’s Mary Jane. Electro’s APPARENT death was too quick and easy, he should’ve given Spider-Man more of a fight. The same goes for the Green Gobli
  68. May 20, 2014
    I'll keep this brief, since it's a movie where so much happens you can't help but spoil it in a longer text!! The direction is confident enough to make up for the overcrowded plots revolving it's central character, BUT THAT'S STILL AN ISSUE. Also, the movie comes off as more of a set up than an actual sequel, which is fine cause it still got me excited and wanting to see what cards theyI'll keep this brief, since it's a movie where so much happens you can't help but spoil it in a longer text!! The direction is confident enough to make up for the overcrowded plots revolving it's central character, BUT THAT'S STILL AN ISSUE. Also, the movie comes off as more of a set up than an actual sequel, which is fine cause it still got me excited and wanting to see what cards they could bring next to the table. The cast is definitely what elevates this movie, particularly Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield whose chemistry shines brighter than the Arizona's sunrise and manage to emotionally engage us and root for their relationship. Jamie Foxx was menacing as Electro, Dane DeHaan also intriguing as Harry Osborn and Sally Field also has her share of motherly figure bonding with Garfield's character. I had a really deep contrast relationship with this movie. It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be, but they shoehorn a few characters or plots just for the sake of keeping it faithful to the comics or either adjust it to the next movie's narrative. The movie doesn't drag on at all, but in the end -- of all the main plot points that happen, most are strong like Harry and Peter's friendship or Electro's motivation. But other plot points like the villain Rhino's cameos or the one revolving around Peter Parker's parents disappearance should've been left on the cutting room floor. Overall its exciting and emotionally engaging but its more style than substance at times and feels uneven compared to the previous installment. It repeats a few of Raimi's Spider Man 3 mistakes and it should've learn from it. Expand
  69. May 3, 2014
    Every Spiderman movie contains one super villain too many. But the delightful chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone makes this otherwise kind of aimless story an okay watch.
  70. Aug 31, 2014
    The critics are not far off with this movie. The sequel to the reboot "The Amazing Spider-Man" is a messy film. The script is all over the place, and we are introduced to characters who we are supposed to sympathize with but they are never given the screen time or development to grow, Andrew Garfield is a "meh" Peter Parker, and as the story progresses it gets more predictable and manyThe critics are not far off with this movie. The sequel to the reboot "The Amazing Spider-Man" is a messy film. The script is all over the place, and we are introduced to characters who we are supposed to sympathize with but they are never given the screen time or development to grow, Andrew Garfield is a "meh" Peter Parker, and as the story progresses it gets more predictable and many dumb scenes later all the excitement just turns to bore and you just want it to end. Expand
  71. May 16, 2014
    A complete mess with little direction or sense. The characters serve almost no purpose to the overall plot, the dialouge is horrible, and Electro is basically Jim Carrey as the Riddler in Batman forver. Go back and watch this I'm not kidding a complete and utter ripoff. Too much back and forth dialogue with little to no point mixed in with several plot lines that in no way connect.
  72. May 17, 2015
    Good film, stunning special effects, the relationship between Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker is great, but the film has some script failures, and does not show many responsibilities and consequences of Spider Man, and the villains are also not very interesting.
  73. Jan 3, 2015
    Melhor que o primeiro, entretanto ainda não foi dessa vez que vimos todo o potencial do personagem nos cinemas. Quem sabe, um dia, na mão da Disney/Marvel, ai sim teríamos um filme BOM.
  74. May 2, 2014
    THIS MOVIE WAS AMAZING ! Once again the critics are so far way off base as you will find out when thousands of people flock the the big screen on Friday nite. top notch story line, off the hook effects that will blow you out of your seat and wanting more which you will get, acting was superb and the ending was asum and did not leave you hanging like most movies. So satisifing that I wouldTHIS MOVIE WAS AMAZING ! Once again the critics are so far way off base as you will find out when thousands of people flock the the big screen on Friday nite. top notch story line, off the hook effects that will blow you out of your seat and wanting more which you will get, acting was superb and the ending was asum and did not leave you hanging like most movies. So satisifing that I would compair it to an orgasum. You will gasp, you will laugh, you will cry, it has it all and all at the right moment. Your fingers and toes will hurt when you leave the theater because its a white knuckle ride from start to finish. Dont leave right after the movie, there is a surprize clip. Im going to go and see it again tomorrow nite { Friday Night } in a packed house. I went to midnight showing on Thursday and there were about 50 people in the theater, people have to work on Friday and can't function on 3 hours of sleep, thats why it was not packed. But all 50 of us were clapping and cheering hard at the end. And nothing but positive comments. Cant wait to see the next one. CRITICS...PLEASE GET A DAY JOB AND LET US REAL PEOPLE WRITE THE REVIEWS !!!!! Best movie of the year and will be very hard to beat. Trust me...GO SEE THIS MOVIE, IT IS A MUST SEE MOVIE. Not to mention it is a touching, motivating and inspiring movie. Captain America did not even come close to SM2. P.S. Check out the user review that begins with { Lamo } and gave this movie a rating of 3. Then think about why his user name begins with Lamo. Cause his review was LAMO. But we all have a right to score how we wish. Just dont pay no attention to that review. Doesn't even seem like he saw the right movie at all or was watching Captain America which I found to be bland and would give Captain America about a 5 or 6 at most. Expand
  75. Jun 19, 2014
    This movie has a tone of being a totally cheesy comic book movie, in all the perfect ways that you'd convert a comic book into a movie. The visuals are fantastic, the sounds are fantastic. The acting leaves a bit to be desired from time to time, but it's probably because Andrew Garfield drifts between several persona states at the beginning, before the movie settles down and the main plotThis movie has a tone of being a totally cheesy comic book movie, in all the perfect ways that you'd convert a comic book into a movie. The visuals are fantastic, the sounds are fantastic. The acting leaves a bit to be desired from time to time, but it's probably because Andrew Garfield drifts between several persona states at the beginning, before the movie settles down and the main plot arc happens. The plot itself is amazing, and has top-level pacing all the way throughout. They've got more than one villain (Green Goblin and Electro) and they blend them together far better than Spiderman 3 mixed Sand Man, Venom, and James Franco Goblin.

You should watch this movie.
  76. May 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A problem with these new Spider-Man films is the sense that we’ve gone through all of this before. Sure, the sets and the actors are different, but everything is played out on screen exactly the way it was ten years ago. With the open-ended conclusion of Spider-Man 3 still fresh in our minds, this retelling of a story we’ve already heard reminds us what the future probably holds for superhero movies; a series of reboots with unsatisfying conclusions when the franchise loses steam.

Criticism aside, Harry’s arc here is different. He suffers from a debilitating genetic disease, and the anger at Spider-Man is not due to the death of Norman Osborn at the webslinger’s hands (this Harry hated the guy), but because Spider-Man refuses to contribute his unique DNA to the project.

I am a James Franco fan, but the new guy (Dane DeHaan) gives a compelling performance. He’s great as a troubled rich kid, who’s just inherited the company and has to deal with the sneering disapproval of his board of directors. His complete absence from the first film is a little jarring when he’s supposed to be one of Peter Parker’s oldest and dearest friends: ‘Hey dude, it’s me, Harry, remember? That guy who you haven’t seen in ten years? Remember the good times? Yeah, the good times were good, weren’t they buddy?’ Remember that good old Franco was there from the beginning.

Harry does get one of the most satisfying moments in the film though – a brilliant comeuppance (albeit temporary) for the corrupt corporate executive who ousted him from control of Oscorp. Harry’s set up as a villain, but he’s one of the most sympathetic characters in the film, certainly more so than the main villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx).

Electro started life as a downtrodden and introverted technician at Oscorp, who was given electrical superpowers in a freak accident. Oscorp’s definitely the place to start hanging around if you want something to give you superpowers. He teams up with Harry, whom he sees as a kindred spirit, I guess, and while it’s hugely satisfying to see him calling the shots for once, after all the trouble everyone’s been giving him, he does act a little creepily in his spare time, and has a misguided sense of what the world owes him.

Foxx does well, although it’s not as compelling a performance as some of the highlights of his career (Collateral, Miami Vice, Law Abiding Citizen, Django Unchained, he’s had quite a ride, and I haven’t seen all of his movies. It’s a shame I missed White House Down, but I digress). To be honest, you can barely tell who’s playing the character once the accident turns him into a computer-generated cloud of sparks.

The final fight with Electro, amongst the transformers of a high-tech power station massively over-exploits the contrast between orange and blue which is used so often in film, especially in posters, to the extent that it’s become a cliché. Here, they’re almost the only two colours on screen. The soundtrack during this fight however, is really inspired; a rock and dubstep influenced score with a huge, satisfying power chord echoing through the cinema every time Electro destroys a transformer. He even teases Spider-Man by using this musical ability to play The Itsy Bitsy Spider.

While I’ve waxed about how the ‘new’ Spider-Man is just like its predecessors, I haven’t touched much on the differences. They’ve drawn fresh villains from the existing rogues’ gallery, so that all five Spider-Man films pitch the titular hero against a unique villain, the one exception being Harry Osborn’s goblin. His appearance immediately after the fight with Electro does feel a little tacked on; Sam Raimi’s trilogy spread the Osborn arc over three movies, with Harry’s vengeance bubbling in the background for quite some time.

Andrew Garfield is a more self assured Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire was, at least at first. He approaches crime fighting with a teenager’s light-hearted humour, frequently improvising and dropping mid-fight wisecracks. There’s a great moment when he disappears for a few moments and then blasts Electro out of the sky with a fireman’s hose – when the camera cuts to Spidey, he’s wearing a fireman’s helmet.

There’s a lot going on in this film – in addition to everything I’ve mentioned, there’s a clock tower, an abandoned subway station, eels, a mental asylum complete with evil scientist, and one of those investigative walls of crazy where keywords are drawn on post-it notes and everything is connected by lengths of red string.

There’s also a romance in there somewhere – Gwen Stacey (Emma Stone) and the dilemma of the promise that Spider-Man made to her late father are at the forefront of Peter Parker’s human dilemma. It’s got problems, but this is mainly baggage associated with the superhero/reboot/sequel world the film inhabits. Treat it as a standalone piece of work, and it’s still a decent film, and I forgive it everything for the director being named Marc Webb. That’s got to be providence.
  77. Mar 15, 2015
    'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' suffers from the same issues that 'Spider-Man 3' (2007) suffered from...too many villains, too many subplots and a bloated run time that doesn't seem to end. Didn't Sony learn from their first mistake? Obviously not.

If you ask me, apparently it took four screenwriters to write this movie...I bet Sony secretly hired them as one writer without one of them knowing about the other. One screenwriter probably wrote that Electro is going to be the main villain, the other probably had the Rhino, and the last one may have had the Green Goblin in mind. They all went to Sony Studios and tried to sell their scripts, but when they found out about each other, there may have been some kind of conflict. Whoever is in charge of Sony probably told them to calm down and said that they will use all of these ideas leaving director Marc Webb to juggle all of these stories.

Now, here's the truth, Sam Raimi's 'Spider-Man' (2002) and 'Spider-Man 2' (2004) are absolutely unbeatable to this day. I thought 'Spider-Man 3' (2007) was still good, but I understand why not many people liked it.

I thought 'The Amazing Spider-Man' (2012) was just as unnecessary as most people thought as it was made just five years after the last film and it was obviously Sony's attempt to retain the rights away from Marvel. But honestly, I thought 'The Amazing Spider-Man' (2012) was good, not great...but it was better than I expected, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone really stole the show in that film.

In here, the actors still do a good job managing with a sub-par script, and director Marc Webb tries to juggle as much as he can. Paul Giamatti is absolutely unrecognizable as the Rhino, but he is criminally underused, Jamie Foxx becomes a comic relief as Electro, the main villain of the film. Dane DeHaan is a great actor with a bright future, but his Harry Osborn felt forced.

Honestly, this movie tries to throw so much at you, you struggle to keep up with it, it's like watching three films at once or something. It jumps back and fourth unevenly between; Peter and Gwen, Peter finding out about his parents, Aunt May (Sally Field) becoming a nurse for no reason, Spider-Man fighting Electro and Peter's friendship with Harry. It's too long and there's too much.

Maybe 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' is not going to be remembered as one of the most exciting films of 2014.
  78. Apr 17, 2015
    AMAZING!!!! FANTASTIC! I don't understand how the critics give so bad rates to this movie. One of the best super-heroes movies ever!..................
  79. Oct 14, 2014
    It has gone down compared to the previous one. This part is very long and the characters talk too much between them. But The Amazing Spider-Man 2 gives us again a lot of mystery about the disappearance of the parents of Peter Parker, some magnificent performances by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone with wonderful visual effects and a nice (but not as good as the previous) soundtrack. (61 - 100)
  80. May 2, 2015
    this movie is really great! so underrated and gets so much hate undeservingly! this is such a fun movie! people fault it for plot holes when they don't pay attention
  81. May 7, 2014
    I and alot of my friends who have seen this movie have all come to the same conclusion: While it wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be, based on the reviews, it still wasn't all that great as everything in the movie felt rushed with all the bad guys they were throwing at you the entire time. There's alot going on in this but it was kinda boring at times as well. It's clear theyI and alot of my friends who have seen this movie have all come to the same conclusion: While it wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be, based on the reviews, it still wasn't all that great as everything in the movie felt rushed with all the bad guys they were throwing at you the entire time. There's alot going on in this but it was kinda boring at times as well. It's clear they are going to play up the Sinister Six angle in future movies, and that might be fun to see, but if they go about their business the same way as in this one, it definitely won't be very remembered in the future. I think Andrew Garfield is a better Peter Parker than a Spiderman. The man certainly knows how to cry on screen. He and Emma Stone really mesh together very well and I'm glad they took Mary Jane out of this one at the last second because the focus of the movie was on these two and not a third wheel. The fights were pretty good, with the slow-mo effects being hit or miss. But this movie just doesn't hit the mark like some of the recent Superhero movies have, like Cap 2 or Thor 2 or even the Avengers to a lesser extent. I hope they go back to the drawing board a little bit here for the third one and don't try to just stuff as many things as possible into a 2 hour movie like they did here. It's honestly quite Amazing they got all of this to work as well as they did here. But I'll say it's not as terribly bad as alot of people are suggesting. It's just mildly bad. Expand
  82. May 6, 2014
    This film could have been made 10 years ago and it still wouldn't have had a single fresh idea or concept. The first Amazing Spiderman was SO much better.There was nothing amazing in this movie, it had just about every superhero film cliche and trope, seen it all so many times before. Its not a bad film, just incredibly unoriginal and uninteresting.
  83. May 2, 2014
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 struggles to find its footing in the grand scheme of its story, making it feel like it was a bridge to the third movie. As a movie introducing you to further events, however, it did a great job. While not as good as the original Amazing Spider-Man, I must say that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 slowly builds up to what could easily be a great third movie.
  84. May 2, 2014
    It pains me to say that this movie was just meh. There is way too much going on in this movie which lead to characters being underdeveloped and feeling overly long. This movie was way over promoted as well in that there were no exciting scenes that weren't in the trailers. Garfield and Stone were really good again, the visuals were great and I liked the new theme by Hans Zimmer. BetterIt pains me to say that this movie was just meh. There is way too much going on in this movie which lead to characters being underdeveloped and feeling overly long. This movie was way over promoted as well in that there were no exciting scenes that weren't in the trailers. Garfield and Stone were really good again, the visuals were great and I liked the new theme by Hans Zimmer. Better luck next time I guess. Expand
  85. Aug 20, 2014
    Do not listen to the critics. This movie is truly the AMAZING Spiderman. Andrew Garfield manages to stay true to character, with a sense of wit and humour Maguire's Spiderman never had. The person who manages to steal the show, against all odds, is Jamie Foxx. Foxx's role redefines the character of Electro, and manages to make him terrifying. I found the battle between Electro andDo not listen to the critics. This movie is truly the AMAZING Spiderman. Andrew Garfield manages to stay true to character, with a sense of wit and humour Maguire's Spiderman never had. The person who manages to steal the show, against all odds, is Jamie Foxx. Foxx's role redefines the character of Electro, and manages to make him terrifying. I found the battle between Electro and Spiderman the best part of the film. Once again, don't listen to the critics. Sure, TASM 2 may have one too many villains, but is that really a good reason to score this movie a 52/100? Expand
  86. Jun 6, 2014
    I have to be a little hard with this one; because despite my enjoyment this movie has too many flaws...

The acting was superb and the action is very well shoot, the movie in general is very well directed HOWEVER; there is just a general lack of focus in the general movie, it's trying to hard to squeeze every inch of spider-man lore and story lines where none are needed resulting in an over crowded movie that is just way too much for it's own good...

Again, in my opinion the movie is good... is just that it becomes too much and the general level of quality suffers for it...
  87. May 23, 2014
    The movie was just convoluted and all over the place. The script should have only focused on one story arc and not try to to add one plot after another. The special effect was nothing spectacular. Overall it lacked story development, dialogue was flawed and cinematography was perplexing.
  88. May 2, 2014
    Horribly written, bad dialogue that isn't funny, action is scarce, no character is fleshed out, lots of missed potential, directing is weaker than the first Amazing Spiderman movie, really everything is nothing close to as good as it was in the last movie. Only positives are the actors try to make their bad lines work and the special effects were good but neither of those things can make aHorribly written, bad dialogue that isn't funny, action is scarce, no character is fleshed out, lots of missed potential, directing is weaker than the first Amazing Spiderman movie, really everything is nothing close to as good as it was in the last movie. Only positives are the actors try to make their bad lines work and the special effects were good but neither of those things can make a bad movie good. Expand
  89. May 23, 2014
    Web slinging spectacular fun! I love this movie! Overwhelming exiting climax! Top notch adrenaline sparkling fun! Well crafted story and an anticipated build up to lead into the next installment. Great characters and acting. This new take on Spider-man is something new and exiting to see what is coming next! It is very creative and fun. Electro, whenever he sparked and causedWeb slinging spectacular fun! I love this movie! Overwhelming exiting climax! Top notch adrenaline sparkling fun! Well crafted story and an anticipated build up to lead into the next installment. Great characters and acting. This new take on Spider-man is something new and exiting to see what is coming next! It is very creative and fun. Electro, whenever he sparked and caused destruction, it got me pumped just like the swinging scenes and the heroic score and can't forget about the electro dub step. There are many brilliant scenes, normally involving Harry and Peter, Peter and Gwen or Electro/Max. I was not disappointed and can't wait for The Amazing Spiderman 3! Expand
  90. May 3, 2014
    Andrew Garfield is amazing as spider-man, I like a lot his performance; The special effects are amazing, the soundtrack is great, and the action scenes couldn't be better. The movie is not perfect, but it is good at all, and it exceeded my expectations...
  91. May 18, 2014
    The good: Everything about Gwen's story and the chemistry between Gwen and Peter Parker; the web slinging through the city, which is more visceral and believable by far than in the Sam Raimi movies.

The bad: Overall the movie was too brooding and dark, and the story re Peter's father took too long to unfold. Also, they collapsed what should have been two movies into one. The Osborn Green Goblin saga deserved a movie of its own.

Overall, though, to me this is the authentic Spider-Man film series. I love that they really are playing up the Gwen Stacy story. If you could take Andrew and Emma and the web-slinging from these films and plug them into the Sam Raimi movies, you'd really have something.
  92. Jun 6, 2014
    so i sat down and watched "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and honestly: it was pretty decent, i really enjoyed it . by all means, it's not a perfect sequel but i still really liked it and it's a pretty good start of the summer movie season. in this one, Peter Parker gets to deal with Electro and a bunch of other villains to save New York again. and i gotta say, it was pretty damn awesome! Marcso i sat down and watched "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and honestly: it was pretty decent, i really enjoyed it . by all means, it's not a perfect sequel but i still really liked it and it's a pretty good start of the summer movie season. in this one, Peter Parker gets to deal with Electro and a bunch of other villains to save New York again. and i gotta say, it was pretty damn awesome! Marc Webb really knows how to make action work, and i solute him for that. the action in this movie's top notch and the fight scenes are bad ass with jaw-dropping special effects that make you wanna go "Awesome!". and once again, Andrew Garfield's awesome as Spidey. but does this movie have its problems? yea, it does. like the first movie, (in the reboot franchise) The Amazing Spider Man 2 doesn't have a good narrative. it feels really crowded and unfocused, like some of the characters don't get enough screen time. and this movie has the same problem that "Spider Man 3" had: it has way too many characters. now, usually that's pretty awesome, but here Marc Webb fails at handling them right, cause they're not developed that much. also, there are a few scenes in the trailer that aren't in the movie, and that kind irritated me a little. but, despite its flaws and let downs, i can't deny that i had a great time watching The Amazing Spider Man 2. it was awesome, it was kick ass, it was well-acted and the effects are mind blowing! so let's see how the next chapter's gonna be like. Expand
  93. May 10, 2014
    I think when you review a movie like this you have to juxtapose it against the other big movies in the genre. And even set against the other big blockbuster superhero movies such as Capt. America and Thor the amazing Spiderman two is simply crap. The actors are terrible there seems to be nothing at stake and about a half hour after I left the theater I had forgotten almost all of it.
  94. Jul 1, 2014
    The most romantic spiderman movie ever since that upside-down kiss Tobey/Kirsten and dancing on the kitchen James/Kirsten. Emma Stone was so perfect be Gwen Stacy. And, the whole movie looks like an indie drama movie. I love how the soundtracks were just match with the action scenes, while I felt those soundtracks for love songs. The whole villain assembles also powerful. I wonder who'sThe most romantic spiderman movie ever since that upside-down kiss Tobey/Kirsten and dancing on the kitchen James/Kirsten. Emma Stone was so perfect be Gwen Stacy. And, the whole movie looks like an indie drama movie. I love how the soundtracks were just match with the action scenes, while I felt those soundtracks for love songs. The whole villain assembles also powerful. I wonder who's going to be Mary Jane? Next Amazing Spiderman movies? #SOLD! Expand
  95. Jul 8, 2014
    the best spiderman movie of all time, I think it had a Three Villains, and the last time we saw spider-man movie with Three Villains was Spider-man 3, but this time it worked
  96. Nov 8, 2014
    One of the best superhero movies ever.The Amazing Spider-Man is better than the first movie.This is the best movie of 2014,after X-Men: Days of a future past.With three of the best villains of the comic: Electro,Green Goblin (this time is not Norman Osborn,but Harry Osborn) and Rhino.
  97. Sep 3, 2014
    One of the worst movies I have ever seen. The humor was lame and out of place. I forced myself to watch it until the end to make sure the terrible script would continue to the credits. It did.
  98. May 25, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An awesome Spider-Man movie that wasn't as good as the first one but better than Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3. They did a decent enough job reimagining iconic Spider-Man villains and taking them to a whole new level. Like The Rhino who they made into a Russian mobster at the beginning of the movie and doesn't show up again until the very end of the movie wearing an awesome metal Rhino mech-suit complete with machine guns, rocket launchers, a metal horn, and can even run on all fours like a real rhino can. The rebooted Green Goblin they made a wee bit creepier and comedic, but whiny and emo before he becomes the Green Goblin, but hey at least they made his military Goblin suit and glider look cool. And Electro the villain who was for some reason played by a nerdy and quirky Jamie Foxx when he was Max Dillon before they made him electric blue and gave him a distorted voice. And they completely came up with a different origin of how he Max Dillon became Electro: get electrocuted by a cable then falling into a tank where he is bitten by electric eels then the tank explodes! Making him a dead body that comes back to life! but hey least they gave him an awesome dub step theme which was the result of Hans Zimmer meets dub step. And who could forget the cute couple of Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy played by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone who still make a cute couple in real life, after all they are "partners". So get ready for a Spider-Man movie that foreshadows and gives you Easter eggs hints of the Sinister Six and bring to life one of the most shocking and iconic moments in comic book history: Gwen Stacy death! So for all those Spider-Man nerds and fans out there here's a movie that will get you excited for the Sinister Six spin-off and The Amazing Spider-man 3 which probably doesn't come out in three or four years because of the Sinister Six spin-off and also the Venom spin-off. Let's just hope that these future Spider-Man movies are better than The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 combined. Expand
  99. May 9, 2014
    In some ways this is an improvement over the first Amazing Spider-Man, but they made some odd choices. I think they found a great actor for Peter Parker. The SFX sometimes slide into video game style, which was a little distracting. It feels like a movie plus the start of another. Electro was great other than how they made his body fluid like a ghost one moment, but when Spider-Man hitsIn some ways this is an improvement over the first Amazing Spider-Man, but they made some odd choices. I think they found a great actor for Peter Parker. The SFX sometimes slide into video game style, which was a little distracting. It feels like a movie plus the start of another. Electro was great other than how they made his body fluid like a ghost one moment, but when Spider-Man hits him he is solid. There some other quirks, but you get the point.

If you are looking for a classic popcorn flick that is not a grim hero movie, this is a solid choice. If you are looking for the greatest Marvel character based movie ever, this is not it.
  100. Sep 18, 2014
    This is a great super hero movie. I love Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, he is great at it and the development of his character is fantastic. The story was good if a little bloated, the action sequences were awesome and the soundtrack is outstanding. There's a good balance between drama, action and humour that fits the character of Spider Man perfectly. Jamie Foxx does a great job ofThis is a great super hero movie. I love Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, he is great at it and the development of his character is fantastic. The story was good if a little bloated, the action sequences were awesome and the soundtrack is outstanding. There's a good balance between drama, action and humour that fits the character of Spider Man perfectly. Jamie Foxx does a great job of Electro, I love what they did with that character in this film. Dane DeHaan puts in a very convincing performance of a scared, angry young guy slowly becoming more and more unhinged throughout the course of the film. His performance is almost hypnotic. As for the final villain, Rhino, there's nothing to say because he's barely in it. Don't let the trailers and posters fool you, Rhino has nothing to do with 99% of this film. He was thrown in there for the one and only purpose of promotion so if you saw any of the three hundred trailers that were released for this film then you have seen every scene he is involved in.
    Other than that shameless piece of sly marketing this film is great. Can't wait for the future films of the franchise.

Bloated and often boring and has absolutely no reason to exist, but that it also hits its marks. No fanboy will pass it up. No studio head will lose his or her job.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 1, 2014
    The movie feels not only calculated but tired.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    May 1, 2014
    ASM 2 makes too many of the same mistakes that have brought other superhero movies low (including Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 3"). It tries to pack in too many characters and plot lines, for one.