7.2

1. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A well chosen cast, great special effects and looks more like the comics. This movie is simply awesome, even if it's not as fresh as Sam Raimi's trilogy. Expand
  2. Jun 17, 2013
    This may not be the best Spider-Man film, but its an excellent reboot. The cast is definetely one of the best. The movie kills it with action, emotion and origin. It's a retelling of Spider-Man but in a way that has secrets.
    I give TASM a 9/10
  3. Jun 7, 2013
    With the Sam Raimi directed trilogy still fresh in our minds it is impossible not to make comparisons when watching this latest reboot of the franchise, particularly since the movies opening forty-five minutes again takes us through Spiderman’s origin story. Most viewers will be already be familiar with this story and so it is questionable whether so much time needed to be spent on it but it still makes for watchable cinema.

From then on the movie goes in its own direction and in some ways The Amazing Spiderman is an improvement over its predecessor. Being released ten years after the first of the previous trilogy the special effects and CGI are obviously a big improvement with Spiderman himself moving far more convincingly and The Lizard looking very realistic. Emma Stone, as Gwen Stacy, is also far more likable than Kirsten Dunst’s Mary Jane Watson while Andrew Garfield is close to matching Toby Maguire in the lead role. The plot involving Peter Parkers parents also provides a little more depth to the overall plot of the movie and its future sequels.

On the down side this reboot, while having its moments, was not quite as funny as Raimi’s origin story and seeing the Webbed Crusader on screen does not have quite the same impact it once had. This is certainly a decent start to this new franchise however and I am hopeful it will deliver more in the future.
  4. May 30, 2013
    I don't understand why anyone would hate this movie. I actually like that its a reboot because its a fresh new start. At first I didn't like the new costume but now its growing on me. The fighting sequences were really good and so was the story. I liked Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone as Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy. I kinda wished the movie had a second villain like Scorpion. Its pretty much the Batman Begins of Spider-Man movies. Expand
  5. May 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If I were to sum up how I feel about this movie, I would say: mahogana. That is a bizarre expression, but that what this film is to me: Bizarre. There was of course A lot of talk about why a reboot to a series no even that old enough to deserve a reboot. The reason why was because Fox was about to lose the license to the series, and so they needed to kick Raimi out of the project, he was working on the 4th one but it would take too long for him to finish. So in the end we get a new spider man, new director, and brand new cast. With all of that stuff being hurled at us, can I as a viewer withstand it? Almost. I almost can withstand all the new stuff, but I can't stand some of the decisions they made though. The actor they got was pretty good to play Peter, but as Spider man he's either too dark or too even for spider man. The villain is almost a contender for most disappointing villain in an actually decent superhero movie, he's so boring, and is just a ridiculous villain. I think his abilities are unclear, as in he can regenerate at an incredible rate is rather unexplained. Lizards don't grow their limbs back immediately, it takes quite a while. His plot makes no sense, make the whole city lizards, why? What good would come out of doing that? One of the most important scenes in the spider man universe is done horribly in this picture, the death of peter's uncle. The saying is: with great power comes great responsibility, but that doesn't matter because his uncle is an idiot for trying to wrestle away a gun from a younger thug. The whole T.V mentality of this is really infuriating because now we have to wait until the next one because filmmakers discovered that they don't have to tell a story in one film, but rather have it spread to multiple films. I guess I can say I don't hate this film, but I should highlight that I don't like it. Expand
  6. May 25, 2013
    Es una buena pelicula, con mucha accion y con buenos efectos especiales; pero el argumento que tenia con la otra cambio y el elenco tambien cambio.En mi opinion, el papel de Peter Parker le quedaba mejor a Tobey Maguire que a Andrew Garfield.
  7. May 13, 2013
    Of course this film has to measure with the older Spider-Man Films.I really like Kirsten Dunst but Emma Stone is a better actor and Andrew Garfield is very sympathetic to me and a thousand times better than Tobey Maguire.
    I cannot say that i didn`t enjoy the film.The actors are good and i like the action sequences.Sometimes there are some logical mistakes and the characters are not always
    smart but it was nothing what was destroying my joy.
    The bad guy is also not the best,Very simple structured for some intelligent guy as he is but ist makes the movie not worst but also not better.
    All in all a film that you can watch when you want a good action movie which entertains you for 2 hours when you don`t wont to use your brain to much.
  8. May 11, 2013
    It is too easy to compare Marc Webb's Amazing Spider-Man to Raimi's first effort, primarily because for the first half at least they are the same film, or are at least both films telling the same story. Pages and pages have been written on the reboot debate so I won't add to them only to say that I think I enjoyed the updated take on the origin story more. The conspiracy behind Peter's parents deaths adds some complexity to the story and Peter's first experience of Spider-Man's abilities is made into an amusing sequence. Credit for that must go to Andrew Garfield, who improves on Maguire's take on Parker no end, proving that Peter can be geeky without being too pathetic. Perhaps it was setting the story in high school, with the sympathies that come with being different in that environment, that makes Garfield's Peter more likeable.

Once the origin of Spider-Man is complete, the film moves through the gears and the budding romance and chemistry between Peter and Gwen is sincere and likeable. With a supporting cast including veterans Martin Sheen and Sally Field, there is no shortage of strong performances.

The film is a bit heavy handed with it's vigilante right or wrong mantra and I was hugely disappointed with Rhys Ifan's Lizard. Ifan's performance as Connor's is decent enough but for me visually the Lizard didn't fit closely enough with the character's traditional appearance. Maybe it was an attempt to make the character realistic in a Christopher Nolan manner but rather than look like a lizard (with a lizards head) he looks like a generic green monster that could appear in any film.

An enjoyable, if unnecessary, return to Spider-Man's roots with a fresh bunch of characters that is worth a watch even if just for a comparison with the original trilogy.
  9. Apr 25, 2013
    It is much like the 2002 version, the plot and relatively good action scenes Guides, reasonable performances but q makes the 2002 version better and charisma tobey maguarey, which has adrew garfield
  10. Apr 24, 2013
    This reboot of the Spider-Man franchise delivers with a strong performance by Andrew Garfield as the lead character, and big names in some of the other supporting roles. Acting great Martin Sheen, host of the Breakthroughs with Martin Sheen show, gives a strong performance as usual, in the role of Uncle Ben. Denis Leary, better known as a comedian than an actor, also shines as the father of Peter Parker’s love interest.

It’s great to see well-established actors and thespians, like Sheen and Sally Field, who plays Aunt May, share the screen with up-and-coming actors like Garfield and Emma Stone, who plays Gwen Stacy. The young stars hold their own with these heavyweights, and show that they belong. Although Sheen does not appear in as many movies these days as he did in his heyday, he shows the talent that has helped him remain in show business since the early 1960s. These days, Sheen hosts the Breakthroughs Martin Sheen show, and also appeared in a movie directed by his son Emilio Estevez called “The Way.”

The Martin Sheen Breakthroughs show examines positive and intriguing stories across American society. It airs on public television stations across the nation, including some PBS-affiliated stations. The Martin Sheen PBS program (www.breakthroughsptv.com) looks at medical subjects, environmental topics, business stories and more. The Martin Sheen public television program looks at education stories as well.

Hopefully, the producers and director of the sequel to this entertaining and enjoyable movie can bring back all the principal actors and actresses for the sequel.
  11. Apr 20, 2013
    Does "The Amazing Spider-Man" do anything new to movies? Well, no. But the genres that exist are all in there. The movie has its moments of humor, horror, romance, action, adventure, thriller, it has simply everything, and the way they used all that to make a superhero movie is simply one of the best ways they could use it.
  12. Apr 11, 2013
    I was a big fan of the original Spider-man trilogy (yes even Spider-man 3), and i was being optimistic in hoping that this film would introduce a new darker quality to the character and the retelling of the origin, but overall i found the film to be underwhelming, unoriginal and in some parts, just plain stupid. Firstly i must point out that Andrew Garfield did a great job of portraying Peter Parker, as did Emma stone of Gwen Stacy, and they have good chemistry, but the script is not particularly thoughtful nor engaging, just classic cheeky rom-com stuff, but i guess there's nothing wrong with that, and the romance between the two is what makes this film a hit with the ladies. The Lizard on the other hand, played by Rhys Ifans, is a complete Ra's al Ghul rip off from Liam Neeson in Batman Begins, speaking in a slow wise voice and his plan to evolve the human race into raging lizards, for the benefit of the future of the planet or some crap. Much like Ra's extreme views of wiping out corruption for the the same reason. Much of the story is the same, dont be fooled, apart from the back story to peter's parents, its much like the original Spider-man of 2002. The special effects were pretty impressive but that basically meant the action sequences were hectic and cartoonish, which i guess is to capture the comic book style, but overall are boring. There are no cleverly planned out set pieces or twists in the plot, the final fight is on top of a skyscraper at night and another confrontation takes place on a bridge at night, very imaginative. This film is well made and the acting is pretty solid, and i can understand why newcomers to spiderman are loving it, but if you are familiar with Sam Raimi's trilogy and have watched a fair few superhero films like myself, you are likely to be disappointed with this film. Hopefully the sequel can find its own groove. Expand
  13. Apr 8, 2013
    The Amazing Spider-Man is the Spider-Man film that we were all waiting to see. It has a fantastic cast that all give great performances, a great score to accompany it, and great action sequences that can only be put as simply: amazing.
  14. Mar 31, 2013
    This is a solid reboot of a rather recent series of films that probably didn't need to be done so soon, but it has been done very well. Andrew Garfield is great as the new Peter Parker and overall it's a great cast! Storyline is similar to how the other series starts out but things change here and there. MJ is no more but Gwen is in the leading lady role played by the gorgeous Emma Stone who does a great job! Overall it's nothing but entertainment and quite enjoyable to watch Expand
  15. Mar 24, 2013
    I was hesitant to see this movie, as the ones done in the early 2000's were exceptional. This version did not disappointing me, showing the early life of Peter Parker that was based more closely on the comics than the original that starred Tobey McGuire.
  16. Mar 16, 2013
    The Amazing Spider-Man directed by Marc Webb is a fantastic reboot to the Spider-Man franchise. Despite having a similar plot line to Sam Raimi's 2002 Spider-Man, Webb's interpretation created a darker and more serious tone that established a story arc. Starting with the cast, Andrew Garfield's portrayal of Peter Parker did well to show the struggles of not only losing his uncle but not knowing the fate of his parents. We see that with Tobey Maguire's performance but it is eclipsed by the lighter tone of the 2002 movie. Garfield's portrayal also has more chemistry with his primary love interest, providing for a more intimate and youthful subplot complementing the already mentioned dark tone. Kirsten Dunst's performance resembled a summer blockbuster aimed at teenagers. Despite the common view that Raimi used a better supporting cast with James Franco, William Dafoe, and JK Simmons, it is very difficult to ignore the on screen presence of Sally Field, Martin Sheen, Rhys Ifans, and Denis Leary. One standout performance that was not mentioned was that of Irrfan Khan. Though he does not have a lot of screen time, Khan's performance added to the tone and complemented Dr. Connors transformation into the Lizard. The CGA and visual effects do provide for thrilling and captivating viewing experience but since the two movies were made a decade apart, it is difficult to praise one over the other owing to the vast advances in computer technology. One visual aspect that the comic fan base debates is the suit. The Raimi suit had a very strong resemblance to the comic and cartoon series. Webb's artistic team provided a new suit that allowed Spider-Man to look more athletic and agile. The darker toned fabric with a worn surface gave it a more realistic look. The only major mystery that created a plot hole was how does a high school kid create such a suit on his own in his bedroom. Overall "The Amazing Spider-Man" was a pleasurable film that undoubtedly surpassed its 2002 counterpart. The cast along with the plot and the visual presentation generated the interest and anticipation for a sequel. Expand
  17. Mar 15, 2013
    I liked the Raimi Spider Man movies (even the third one was ok), but unlike those movies I really liked how Marc Webb handles the relationship between Peter and Gwen.
  18. Mar 10, 2013
    It has all element a good entertaining superhero movie needs. A good plot with nice performances. Its more thought provoking than Sam Raimi's Spider-Man.
  19. Mar 6, 2013
    That was fast.. this reboot, that is, Sony are now bound to hold the record for the quickest franchise reboot in history, and many may now ask, did Spider-Man need a brand new set of films?
    Personally, no. The last film in the original trilogy starring Tobey Maguire and directed by Sam Raimi was a mess to say the least, but Iron Man 2 was a bit of a shambles, it didn't get a reboot.

Although it is clear that there wasn't much necessity to restart this superhero, thats not to say this isn't a good film, because its actually a great film, with a few inkling flaws that stick out, but this tells an excellent origin story that the original never did.
    New director Marc Webb tells an interesting story here, he goes right back to basics with our hero Peter Parker being left by his parents to his Aunt May (Sally Field) and Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) after a interestingly vague opening, thus sets a motion many mysterious and unexplained events that will truly hold you to enjoy this film.
    We are then introduced to an older Peter, (played by Andrew Garfield) who brings a new sense of spirit and light-hearted,pop-cultured nature to the role. He longs after Gwen Stacey (Emma Stone) who is in his class and who is also working at Oscorp, where Peter is then bitten by a genetically modified spider, he then realises that he has incorporated superhuman abilities and uses them to his advantage. Working at Oscorp also is Dr. Curt Connors, who is attempting to re-grow is amputated arm by combining genes, with disastrous results.
    When tragedy strikes, Peter seeks revenge, now donning a custom-made spidey suit. He soon attracts attention to himself through the police and of course Dr Connors, and as he continues to explore his abilities, he shows his emotional attachment to Gwen.
    This love story is Webb's strongest point of the film, not just between Gwen and Peter, but the overall reaction to situations within the film, it feels more real and life-like and brings the movie in a different direction than its predecessors. The one low point has to be the pacing of the story, as it never seems to be told as a stand alone film, it always seems to be building to something we, the viewer know we won't see in this film, whether its unanswered questions or unexplained plot developments that are not acted upon, it always seems that, 'yeah, we're gonna leave that to the sequel'...why? Why not tell the story now and develop later?
    But this aside, it has excellent acting in the form of the two young leads, and a strangely enjoyable emotional depth that Marc Webb delivers with excellent confidence, perhaps not a mind-blowing reboot, but certainly an excellent restoration of the franchise.
  20. Mar 3, 2013
    I just don't get it. The Spider Man trilogy started in 2002, and now we already have a reboot? Man, can't wait until this superhero fad dies off and never comes back.
  21. Mar 2, 2013
    Amazing Spider Man? I agree!!!!! This was way better than the Dancing spider man on the other version! I loved it! It felt much more realistic, it`s more like the new batman series! The story, the action, everything was good. I usually hate the romance scenes since every movie feels they need one, but I can in this movie it blended in with no problem. This is the best super hero movie that I can think of after "Batman" of course. Expand
  22. Mar 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Amazing Spiderman, what do I think of this movie, it's... AMAZING! Let's start off with the pros of this movie. First, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone's acting. I found the perfect performance of Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy. They show how they are both excellent actors because they show their romance for each other on screen well, they execute their scenes perfectly and adding a better relationship. I really like this acting. Another pro of this movie is the special effects. Spiderman and the Lizard have never looked better on screen in the school scene and the Oscorp scene etc. Since both those scenes were shot with CGI, this makes Spiderman and Lizard look amazing as I've said. More on the effects, when Spiderman web swings, the CGI blends so well together, I actually wished there were more scenes of Spidey web slinging. Next, director Marc Webb made a great mash-up of Comedy, Drama and Action together and I really loved how they gave Dr.Connors a split personality like Sam Raimi did with Norman Osborn and the Green Goblin. Finally, the crew have mad sure to follow the storyline correctly which is amazing because I loved Spiderman for 9 years. Now onto the cons of the movie. The suit development was short. We all know that Peter is a smart guy so making the suit was the one way to show his intelligence. But it went by so quickly it left the audience with little development. Next. the Lizard's writing. The character feels so bland because you didn't get to know him well. If Dr.Connors/Lizard was more deeply explored, he would've been a lot more likeable even though I did like his character. Finally,The quote "With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility". It was paraphrased but I would've preferred it to be said in those exact words. But wait there some more things I want to talk about. I found some really awesome scenes in this movie like the gang fight in the alley, the school scene with Spiderman and The Lizard etc. Also the movie had a bit of a dard tone to it and I don't make The Amazing Spiderman look like Batman because a lot of other movies are dark but it's not Batman all over again. My final verdict is a 9.5 out of 10. The cons listed held this movie back from being a 10 out of 10 but it was still fun and entertaining. Expand
  23. Feb 28, 2013
    It's not a movie that wins awards and it's not close to reaching the magnificent height of "The Dark Knight", the best super hero-movie to date, but who cares? This film has got just the right amount of action and humour that is expected out of a Spider Man-film, and Andrew Garfield actually makes a great performance as the classic super hero.
  24. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I heard that Spider-Man was going to be rebooted, I was not supportive of the idea because I felt the story might not be good, and it's going to be weird seeing Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker /Spider-Man instead of Tobey Maguire. Nevertheless, I saw the Amazing Spider-Man and I was pleasantly surprised about what I saw. Its not perfect, but still manages to be a well creative story. So whats different about this movie? Well, the movie does a better job of telling Peter Parker's back story than the original Spider-Man trilogy. Second is the relationship between Uncle Ben and Peter Parker is a lot better. Third, I loved Uncle Ben in the original film, but I felt like he was side-tracked and I didn't knew much about him. This Uncle Ben is funny, he cares about his Peter, and wants to help him through his troubles. Its a sham that he dies during the movie because I really liked him. All these make the Amazing Spider-Man good, but I still have a few major issues with it. First is Andrew Garfield's dialogue isn't that great. He is good in the suit, but not in the speaking. Second is the characters, Emma Stone is a good actress and she does a good job as Gwen Stacy, but others like Dr. Conners isn't really that interesting, Denis Leary as Gwen's father was disappointing. I like Denis Leary, but I believe this is not one of his better movies, and everyone else is bland. The main problem I have with all these characters is we don't know much about their back story or their motive. Dr. Conners was okay, but I didn't know much about him. Even though the movie is basely on Spider-Man, I want to know about other characters even the scene is only 5 minutes long. The Amazing Spider-Man is a good movie, not one of my personal favorite, but still watchable. Expand
  25. Feb 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first heard the Spider-Man film series was gonna be rebooted, I was pretty pissed. But then I saw the a trailer, and I thought "Hmm this could be pretty good". So one day I was on a plane, decided to watch a movie, and there it was the Amazing Spider-Man. And what do I have to say? It's just as good as the first movie. I find Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man more humorous then Tobey Maguire's, however I felt Tobey's fit the high school dork role, with Andrew seeming more like of the everyman. So I believe while Tobey was a better Peter Parker, Andrew is a better Spider-Man. Although I do have issues with the whole promising to stay away from the dying man's daughter only to say "Promises you can't keep are the best kind"....wtf? I was a little peeved she didn't slap him in the face. I have mixed feelings about switching back to the web shooters from the comics. As while they may be iconic and a sign of the character's intellect. I've always felt Spider-Man should naturally posses the ability, but that's just nitpicking. As for the love interest, I personally have a preference for Mary-Jane over Gwen, having grown up on the 90's animated series where Gwen didn't appear. However I happen to be a fan of Emma Stone (Superbad, Zombieland, Easy A) and whoa was she great in this movie. She's got me hoping that they do not follow the death of Gwen Stacy from the comics. Rhys Ifans also does a great job of making Curt Conners sympathetic, and the Lizard villainous. Although I think the Lizard would've looked better with a snout like in the comics. All in all, solid acting, a decent story, and amazing effects. It's really a shame that the film was over-shadowed by The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises......Okay I'm just kidding those films were both better. But The Amazing Spider-Man is defiantly worth a watch. Expand
  26. Feb 15, 2013
    Totally enjoyable. Funny and warm. Best thing is the new actor playing Spider-man/Peter Parker: Andrew Garfield is sensational. It feels more real than Tobey McGuire playing the part. Rest of the cast is really good too. Overall the acting is better than in the previous trilogy. Another good point is the soundtrack, really nice. Some of the special effects are amazing, others not that much. Probably the weakest point is the plot once the lizard starts his plan. It´s obvious they eliminated too many scenes and some things didn´t make sense. I suppose they didn´t want to make the movie longer than what it is (2 hours). People interested can see the deleted scenes in the dvd release. It really helps. The movie has a little touch of realism compared to the previous trilogy and it´s certainly appreciated. The upcoming second part is really promising with this director and actors. Expand
  27. Feb 6, 2013
    andrew garfield does not play garfield the THIS
    0/10000000000000000000000 DONT BOTHER WATCHING
  28. Feb 5, 2013
    A well acted action packed superhero film that makes this well needed a reboot a success. This new storyline proves that we will see Peter Parker's teenage years and will show a bigger development in the story than a huge jump from high school-er to photographer.
  29. Feb 3, 2013
    As a fan of the original spider-man movie trilogy I was a little concerned over the concept of a re-boot, but marvel did a great job of making it feel fresh. The new actors are definitely stronger than the original which was a nice surprise. I felt the chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone was great and The action was fantastic as we've come to expect from marvel films. The problems I had with the films however were mainly with the familiarity of certain scenes to ones in the original. Obviously we have to see some scenes from the original spider-man again but there was a strong sense of deja-vu in a lot of the scenes. Also the lizard as the villain had the most cliche origin in all of comic books ever. I think this was a amazingly strong reboot and I hope the sequel improves on the fantastic foundation set by this movie! Expand
  30. Jan 31, 2013
    It was far better than I expected it to be. But was it really necessary to have yet another Spider-Man origin story so soon? Andrew Garfield is far more believable as Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire was but I still feel he doesn't look the part. Martin Sheen as Ben Parker & Sally Field as Aunt May were a pleasant surprise, but I feel their faces are far too familiar to be playing such iconic characters. Emma Stone is a pretty good Gwen Stacy. But as someone else here said both Stone & Garfield are perhaps a bit to old for the roles they've been cast in, and they look it. The movie could have been better as it did take a bit too long to build up to Spider-Man's first appearance (about an hour if I remember correctly.) However the Spider-Man of this movie is just perfect. Far more true to the character from the comics. The Lizard was also pretty well portrayed and I'm one of the few who actually liked the new design, it felt more believable. Classic Lizard does look cooler but might have come off too cartooney in live action. Also, it really was a shame that Ben Parker never said his famous "with great power ...." line. I found it really curious as to why they left it out? Overall: A slight improvement on the 2002's Spider-man, but just barely. Hopefully the pacing in the next film will be a bit better without needlessly drawn out expositional scenes. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jul 5, 2012
    This might be a fun summer blockbuster if only it even remotely needed to exist.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Jul 3, 2012
    In short, the character is a lot like the way Stan Lee first envisioned him, but the trilogy's screenwriter Steve Ditko would probably loathe this new, unsatisfying, and hollow-feeling entry into the new cinematic Marvel Universe.
  3. Reviewed by: Joshua Rothkopf
    Jul 3, 2012
    On the whole, it's passable stuff, a surprise, given how mechanical the masked character seemed.