7.1

1. Jul 4, 2012
    The movie was very good overall, I enjoyed the movie a lot. The movie had elements based on the original Amazing Spider-Man comics (i.e. mechanical web-shooters), and had some elements from other comics such as Ultimate Spider-Man (Richard Parker and Dr. Connors). The story was great in my opinion and I think the cast was better too. Emma Stone fit the role of Gwen Stacy more than BryceThe movie was very good overall, I enjoyed the movie a lot. The movie had elements based on the original Amazing Spider-Man comics (i.e. mechanical web-shooters), and had some elements from other comics such as Ultimate Spider-Man (Richard Parker and Dr. Connors). The story was great in my opinion and I think the cast was better too. Emma Stone fit the role of Gwen Stacy more than Bryce Dallas Howard or Kirsten Dunst, and Andrew Garfield played a perfect role of Peter Parker. Expand
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    The Amazing Spider-Man is, as I said in the title, an excellent restart to the story. The acting, visuals, and story were all well-done and VERY enjoyable to watch. Speaking of the acting, Stone and Garfield were both a great joy to watch on film, mostly because they have this great screen chemistry and I can't wait to see them at it again in the next one (If there is one). This movie isThe Amazing Spider-Man is, as I said in the title, an excellent restart to the story. The acting, visuals, and story were all well-done and VERY enjoyable to watch. Speaking of the acting, Stone and Garfield were both a great joy to watch on film, mostly because they have this great screen chemistry and I can't wait to see them at it again in the next one (If there is one). This movie is very enjoyable and fun to watch, and I recommend any one of any age to go see this! I saw it in IMAX 3D, and not that I think it is the best way to see it or anything, but I thought it looked amazing on the IMAX screen so I recommend checking that out if you have the means to as well. Expand
  3. Jul 3, 2012
    This film was excellent. Superb acting, on par with the comics, very emotional, and 'amazing' action. Garfield puts Tobey to shame. The film was tainted by over-marketing though, a mistake I pray Sony does not commit again.
  4. Jul 3, 2012
    Please don't listen to reviewers bashing this because it's a reboot. It's leaps and bounds above Raimi's films. Trust me....this is the real deal. It's a wonderful adaptation, and one of the best superhero films ever made. Better than The Avengers.
  5. Jul 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Last year X-Men (First Class)reboot was very fantastic, and The Rise of the Planet Apes was also very good! This year, Marc Webb dared to begin another Spider-Man Franchise, and to my surprise; was amazingly done.Not as good as Batman Begins but is as good as last year X-Men: First Class.

Fresh and old plot-lines were mixed up to gave the audience an exquisite story of old-brand new spidey hero. Again, heroism brand of spider-man focus on his relationship to his family, friends and peers, and of course our superhero is one-hell of a lover-boy; new love interest which an ingredient of fresh story and is a sample exploits an untold story which I think the major flaw of the movie because it doesn't elaborates the secret behind his parents death which I hope can be lighten to us the next spidey-movie.

Overall, Andrew was great to replicate what Tobey done and Emma and other cast were good. The story maybe a shadow of the Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Franchise but is still effective enough to let you bite. Action and web-slinging choreography and other visual effects were great even the background music, especially Coldplay's "Till Kingdom Come" track.
  6. Jul 3, 2012
    Fantastic movie! It kept my attention from beginning to end, which is hard to do for a movie that is over 2 hours long! The story was the best ever for Spider-Man, and everything was easy to understand and follow. Intense action sequences and very little to no swearing. Be sure to stay through half of the credits, there is a surprise at the end for a plot for a sequel!
  7. Jul 3, 2012
    Dont even bother reading the extremely negative reviews. I was very skeptical going in, but what a hell of a start for a new trilogy. The best part about this fresh start, is the 'darker' direction Sony decided to roll with. And as for Garfield, I'm actually surprised at his performance. Any true Marvel fan will appreciate this movie. Well done. Can't WAIT for the Venom tie in.
  8. Jul 3, 2012
    This movie was surprisingly great, as I did have my doubts about it. Great new cast, Peter Parker and Gwen have great on-screen chemistry (although I will always be a fan of MJ). Also, the beginning was great, as it more properly explained the origin of Spider-Man (although the amount of time before he gets his powers it a bit stretched out). I love how he uses artificial webs instead ofThis movie was surprisingly great, as I did have my doubts about it. Great new cast, Peter Parker and Gwen have great on-screen chemistry (although I will always be a fan of MJ). Also, the beginning was great, as it more properly explained the origin of Spider-Man (although the amount of time before he gets his powers it a bit stretched out). I love how he uses artificial webs instead of the previous trilogy where the webs magically came out of Parker's wrist. The Lizard was also a much better villain than I had expected, as he is physically more than Parker could ever handle, leading the scenes with him to be a thrill ride of wondering what would come next. Overall, a great movie. Any fan of Spider-Man, heck, any fan of action or comic books in general should see this movie. Even if you don't know about the masked web slinger, this movie will explain it all to you. Expand
  9. Jul 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie truly is amazing. It really is one of the best superhero movies I have ever seen. I disagree with what the critics are saying by giving it a measly 67 out of 100. I like that this movie stays more true to the original comics that it is based on. Spider-Man is now more of a wise-cracker, making jokes in a dangerous situation (unlike the Spider-Man of a certain other film trilogy I know). I also like that the story is darker, and less romantic (unlike a...oh scratch it you know the drill). The main villain is now not a true villain, but a guy who wants something back. This is what makes it so much more original than a lot of the other superhero movies, whose villains are filled with anarchy. The CGI is excellent. The Lizard (main villain) might be up to the level of how Davy Jones and Gollum looked in their respective films. There is only one real problem that I have with this film. Towards the end where Lizard is about to take over the city by turning everyone into reptiles, he intoxicates some S.W.A.T. team people by turning them into lizards like himself. However, these people do not help the lizard at all in the rest of the film. This leaves a plot hole in which you don't know what they did from there. You only see them changing back into their human form at the very end. This plot hole does not change my opinion on this movie however. To me it is still an excellent film, and I cannot wait for the sequel! Expand
  10. Jul 3, 2012
    Obviously, this movie is based on the amazing spider-man cartoon that's new and that's why we won't see Mary Jane until the next movie; when aunt May thinks Peter needs a girl and so the neighbor happens to have a daughter [Mary Jane] and Aunt May introduces her to Peter. But I wonder how they are gonna do with the other girl [Stacy] that happens to fall in love with Peter after she failedObviously, this movie is based on the amazing spider-man cartoon that's new and that's why we won't see Mary Jane until the next movie; when aunt May thinks Peter needs a girl and so the neighbor happens to have a daughter [Mary Jane] and Aunt May introduces her to Peter. But I wonder how they are gonna do with the other girl [Stacy] that happens to fall in love with Peter after she failed a test and Peter becomes her tutor. Man, spidey is surrounded by too many girls now. Lets see, Gwen, Mary Jane, Stacey, and of course our favorite super hero that happens to have the same powers captain America has BlackCat.

The amazing spider-man is an amazing movie with lots of action. I really like it. Although, Peter Parker seems to be revealing too much of his powers during this movie. If I had seen what happened in real life I would say, "he is definitely not human.' I mean seriously, the train, the basketball, will someone in the movie say, "oh this guy I met the other day is definitely Spider-man. But the way he was web swinging was awesome because I felt it was more than just swinging. There was jumping from wall to wall, there was spinning on the wall while a bunch of birds flew behind him (that was cool). And of course Lizards mouth could had been a lot bigger, like a crocodile's mouth. It would had been amazing to have seen spidey trying to keep the mouth open as his head is so close to it. The thing I love about spider-man the most is that he is the most fun super-hero to watch. Although some people say a giant or Hulk can kill spider-man and that he is really not that powerful. I think he is awesome because his powers are very limited. That's exactly what they did in this movie. They didn't make spider-man so powerful, otherwise he wouldn't be fun to watch. And even though people say hulk or a giant , that's not true. Why? Because spider-man is smart. I think something they should do in a next movie is make a stronger villain for the web-head. In the movie I would like to see spider-man play a dragon ball z video game so that he can learn a really good lesson I learned from that game: "When you depend too much on your strength, you leave yourself wide open.' And lets also include Black Cat so that we can have two super-heroes fighting side by side. I always love to have movie ideas because when I really enjoyed the movie I spend some time imagining the characters in my head and interacting with them. I've imagine myself with powers and creating funny moments in my head too.
  11. Jul 3, 2012
    It is a great film filled with human emotion and multiple conflicts. Webb makes a film more worried about characters then action. This is not to say that the action scenes are not masterfully crafted and beautiful looking. These characters are dear to us similarly to the ones of 500 days of summer. The only other super hero movies to have the same effect is Nolan's Batman series. You knowIt is a great film filled with human emotion and multiple conflicts. Webb makes a film more worried about characters then action. This is not to say that the action scenes are not masterfully crafted and beautiful looking. These characters are dear to us similarly to the ones of 500 days of summer. The only other super hero movies to have the same effect is Nolan's Batman series. You know that when you can compare a film to Nolan's Batman series it is a great film and this one is the best of the year so far. Expand
  12. Jul 3, 2012
    The Amazing Spider-Man is as stylish and slick as it is emotionally grounded in the world we live in. Director Marc Webb takes the superhero genre and doesn't try to make it larger than life. Instead, he makes it down to Earth, in a way that Joss Whedon couldn't do with The Avengers and in a way that Christopher Nolan couldn't do with The Dark Knight. Spider-Man is back.
  13. Jul 3, 2012
    Saw the midnight premiere and was blown away by how great the movie was. The movie went into so much more detail than the original trilogy. The characters are amazing and the relationship between Peter and Gwenneth is done very well. The movie is fun and exciting. Get your tickets!
  14. Jul 3, 2012
    This is a much more human spider-man, he felt like the geeky Peter Parker with his actions and his position in school as well as his body language and communication with people including his love interest Gwen, He underwent a more natural development of his powers as well as emotional growth over the course of the film for given reasons. Unlike the Toby McGuire counterpart, He also had aThis is a much more human spider-man, he felt like the geeky Peter Parker with his actions and his position in school as well as his body language and communication with people including his love interest Gwen, He underwent a more natural development of his powers as well as emotional growth over the course of the film for given reasons. Unlike the Toby McGuire counterpart, He also had a sense of humor which is one of Spider mans strong points as that made him one of my all time favorite marvel characters. The villain for this film was also much more menacing than any of the enemies the original Spider man movies ever had, The character behind the lizard was unfortunately not as interesting as the rest of the cast though. The combat sequences were excellent with very impressive CG visual effects(minus the face he actually looked like the goomba from Mario Bros the movie.) They did an incredible job in emphasizing Spider Mans agility and use of the web during his battles, and again his witty lines never fail to further keep him consistent to his comic book self.

I gotta say with all the down talk this movie is getting i was a bit worried myself about on whether or not it would be worth watching, but after seeing it, i actually wouldn't mind a second run if the opportunity arises, It is a great movie.
  15. Jul 3, 2012
    I went into this with low expectations but really really enjoyed what it had to offer. Honestly, Im a huge spiderman fan regardless growing up in the 80s and 90s but this really was better then the avengers. The CGI is flawless and imax 3D make this movie look absolutely amazing. The story was very compelling and the star studded cast was fantastic from Dennis Leary to Emma Stone whoI went into this with low expectations but really really enjoyed what it had to offer. Honestly, Im a huge spiderman fan regardless growing up in the 80s and 90s but this really was better then the avengers. The CGI is flawless and imax 3D make this movie look absolutely amazing. The story was very compelling and the star studded cast was fantastic from Dennis Leary to Emma Stone who should be nominated for some type of award.

There were its share of cheesy moments but this is a super hero movie and it is to be expected. Also, if I had to complain about anything, it would be the terrible music and sound throughout the movie. Truly, music can really make or break certain parts and this movies sound music wise was pretty terrible. Regardless for any super hero fan, an absolute must see
  16. Jul 3, 2012
    Everything about this movie is better than and more creative than any Spider-Man movie before it. Andrew Garfield is a fantastic Parker and a superb Spider-Man. Definitely Amazing!
  17. Jul 3, 2012
    It was truly amazing. I love the first 2 Spider-man movies, so I'm glad the new spider-man franchise started that good. Great performances, effects and action, and the best 3D since Avatar.
  18. Jul 3, 2012
    First, I like a lot, how close to the comic. I did not like to see that in Raimi's trilogy, good old Spidey networks launched "organically" so to speak. Why, what sense does it make the gesture mythical fingers to operate the spinner, if no action button? I liked that idea in the previous films, really.
    In "The Amazing" spinner turns the classic story almost becomes the original comic book, the character of Gwen, a new Spiderman, which I must admit, I have a lot more hook that, although good-natured, soseras Tobey. And many new surprises. But the main idea is that this reboot of the franchise, is a TOTAL facelift for the character, fresh air in the form of new faces, and what about the new suit ... SPECTACULAR. In an address with Marc Webb "500 days" as collateral, which is a relief. I would like to see this movie in the hands of a pseudo-Joel Schumacher. Finally, for fans of Spider-Man, mandatory viewing. And sure hope so, that anyone who values ​​and marvel comics, from the former to the latter, this movie will like, a lot.
    PD: Sorry but i'm spanish, and i use the traductor for this review.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHÚS
  19. Jul 3, 2012
    I attended the midnight premier of The Amazing Spiderman last night and I'd have to say that it is the best Spiderman movie to ever hit theaters. It is far superior to the previous Tobey Maguire trilogy. The acting is great by Garfield and Stone and the actor playing Dr. Connors plays the role perfectly. It seems that the negative reviews for this movie are coming from people who areI attended the midnight premier of The Amazing Spiderman last night and I'd have to say that it is the best Spiderman movie to ever hit theaters. It is far superior to the previous Tobey Maguire trilogy. The acting is great by Garfield and Stone and the actor playing Dr. Connors plays the role perfectly. It seems that the negative reviews for this movie are coming from people who are grasping for attention by saying they disliked the movie. This is a great movie for any Spiderman fan. Expand
  20. Jul 3, 2012
    The Amazing Spider-Man, above all else, has heart. If you take away the brilliant acting of the main characters in Amazing Spider Man you're left with a far grittier and human take on the webslinger's story. Gone from this reboot is the campiness of the Raimi/Macguire rendition - replaced with the believable awkwardness of an adolescent dealing with something much bigger than himself.The Amazing Spider-Man, above all else, has heart. If you take away the brilliant acting of the main characters in Amazing Spider Man you're left with a far grittier and human take on the webslinger's story. Gone from this reboot is the campiness of the Raimi/Macguire rendition - replaced with the believable awkwardness of an adolescent dealing with something much bigger than himself. Fortunately, we don't have to take away the tremendous job of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. While the supporting cast was largely terrific in their roles, Garfield and Stone slipped into their roles flawlessly. I had mixed expectations going with how Garfield would do, but any doubts were quickly quelled. Garfield's unbelievably awkward and emotional performance was believable - a commodity in most super hero flicks - without coming across as the typical whiny protagonist. Stone, once again, knocked it out of the park as Gwen Stacey playing showing true chemistry with her nerdy counter part. The story wasn't fantastic, but very serviceable give the need to once again delve into the origin of the arachnid hero. However, the dialogue was fairly good throughout but truly shined in parts. I would love to dive deeper and deeper into this, but the bottom line is The Amazing Spiderman is a very good movie and borders on great when firing on all cylinders. Webb has set a solid foundation in place to get the most out of his new franchise. I can only hope that, like most super hero series, we won't have to suffer through diminishing returns. Expand
  21. Jul 3, 2012
    This Movie By far was better than the entire Raimi trilogy. The story was compelling and the action scenes were great. Not to mention Spider-Man cracking jokes is awesome (Just like he should be) As for the 3D effects they were quite good especially The first-person shots. That's when the 3D shined, But the 3D is great throughout the entire film. I also like the relationship with Gwen andThis Movie By far was better than the entire Raimi trilogy. The story was compelling and the action scenes were great. Not to mention Spider-Man cracking jokes is awesome (Just like he should be) As for the 3D effects they were quite good especially The first-person shots. That's when the 3D shined, But the 3D is great throughout the entire film. I also like the relationship with Gwen and Peter. Also the fact that Spider-man is a Vigilante to The police which was actually very very compelling. Also the ending was top notch!. You should stay after the credits when the film is over ;) Expand
  22. Jul 3, 2012
    A lot of people give this film hate simply because it was an early reboot, which I admit was a ridiculous move by Sony, and I was having doubts about this movie. But I saw it at the midnight showing and was blown anyway. Andrew Garfield is perfect as Spider-Man, although he does play Peter Parker with is awkward demeanour a lot better. Emma Stone is completely likeable and a greatA lot of people give this film hate simply because it was an early reboot, which I admit was a ridiculous move by Sony, and I was having doubts about this movie. But I saw it at the midnight showing and was blown anyway. Andrew Garfield is perfect as Spider-Man, although he does play Peter Parker with is awkward demeanour a lot better. Emma Stone is completely likeable and a great replacement for MJ and their romance is very well done. Rhys Ifans was the only lacking part for me, he acted a bit too much like Willem Dafoe did in the 1st Spider-Man. And I didn't really like the design of the lizard in this one. But the CGI for everything else was spectacular, especially in the last action sequence. The ending wasn't that fantastic it left a lot of questions unanswered, but overall it was a great movie. The origin story seemed to put off a few people so I can't wait to see what they do next! Expand
  23. Jul 3, 2012
    I'm very happy to say that the reboot of spiderman follows the comics much more firmly in the way spiderman developed his powers, the general storyline with him being inspired to be a hero, and the witty comedy directed at bad guys. With an ending some will hate and others will love, this spiderman movie may be the best of them all.
  24. Jul 3, 2012
    I just finished watching the midnight showing and I can proudly say that this movie is an improvement over the previous ones. The way he gets his powers and why he has them are much more explained. The villain is amazing and the actors are great. There's also some comedy which put together with everything else makes this a fantastic movie.

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jul 5, 2012
    This might be a fun summer blockbuster if only it even remotely needed to exist.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Jul 3, 2012
    In short, the character is a lot like the way Stan Lee first envisioned him, but the trilogy's screenwriter Steve Ditko would probably loathe this new, unsatisfying, and hollow-feeling entry into the new cinematic Marvel Universe.
  3. Reviewed by: Joshua Rothkopf
    Jul 3, 2012
    On the whole, it's passable stuff, a surprise, given how mechanical the masked character seemed.