The Anniversary Party

6.5

1. MichaelC
    Sep 20, 2006
    Thoroughly enjoyable, sexy and smart. The perfect example of how to translate theatre to the cinema. Oh why aren't there more American movies like this one... I wanted to be a friend of these friends.
  2. JohnR.
    Jul 22, 2003
    Despite its excellent cast, this movie is so boring it was painful to sit through.
  3. PaulW.
    May 1, 2006
    Very good movie.
  4. MichaelF.
    Jul 30, 2001
    A touching and funny film. This film can be at times hysterical and at times depressing. There's a bit too much yelling but still its all good. Wonderful performances by everyone.
  5. CraigB.
    Aug 4, 2004
    Parker Posey is always fun to watch, and I appreciate the talents of Leigh and Cumming. The film was engaging for the most part but the overall tone was a little too self-congratulatory for my tastes, especially when Kevin Kline gets involved.
  6. DamienA.
    Jun 21, 2005
    I'm not a part of Hollywood but this film seemed to come from an open honest perspective. A great lesson for any writer is "write what you know": this film does that and does it well. It succeeds in conveying the at times claustrophobic, manic, happy, tense feelings that can often arise whenever people gather. I can see how some people might find this film a little contrived or I'm not a part of Hollywood but this film seemed to come from an open honest perspective. A great lesson for any writer is "write what you know": this film does that and does it well. It succeeds in conveying the at times claustrophobic, manic, happy, tense feelings that can often arise whenever people gather. I can see how some people might find this film a little contrived or self-congratulatory but when a bunch of Holllywood names get together and try and do something about themselves they are asking for this sort of negative analysis; in this case they don't deserve it. Expand
  7. Jun 12, 2012
    There's something really attractive about Anniversary Party. I remember when I was about 11 or 12, I used to wake up really early to catch some of the movies I wasn't allowed to watch on Starz. This was one of those. It wasn't until I was much older that I finally sat down and watched the whole film and I still have moments where I just want to revisit it. It really is like a small getThere's something really attractive about Anniversary Party. I remember when I was about 11 or 12, I used to wake up really early to catch some of the movies I wasn't allowed to watch on Starz. This was one of those. It wasn't until I was much older that I finally sat down and watched the whole film and I still have moments where I just want to revisit it. It really is like a small get together with actors and every time you watch the movie, you relive those moments and meetup with your old friends. Each of the performances are spot on and the writing is entertaining. The characters are narcissistic yes, but you still want more of them. I wouldn't suggest this film to many as it isn't for everyone. But perhaps a theatre actor or someone who's working in university to become an actor would benefit from it. Expand

1. A celebration of the actor's art – but not the dramatist's.
  2. Time
    Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    Everyone in the cast has his or her solo, and all rise brilliantly to their occasions, notably Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Beals, Mina Badie and a divinely neurotic Jane Adams.
  3. Wall Street Journal
    Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Like so many parties, this one goes on too long.