7.9

1. Jan 5, 2013
    The Avengers is shockingly phony, corny and cheesy. The movie is extremely clumsy with too many characters with all their personal backgrounds. The story and movie completely fall apart wth the lack of chemistry between any of the superheros. An action spectacle wth very little to show for.
  2. Apr 23, 2015
    Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Most Overrated pile of crap i've ever seen!

Marvel Studios unveils its costliest special-effects demo to date; somewhere beneath the nonstop digital explosions lies a story about superheroes fighting an evil demigod from space. Every now and then, director Joss Whedon (Serenity) executes a quirky camera set-up to assert that the film was created by him and not a team of marketing executives. Of the star-studded cast, only Mark Ruffalo (playing Bruce Banner) and Robert Downey Jr. (as Iron Man) bring any personality to the place-holder dialogue. Overlong, monotonous, violent, and simple-minded, this is like one of those “World’s Biggest Gang Bang” videos, except that no one onscreen appears to be enjoying himself. With Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner.

Plus I can't stand LOKI!!!
  3. Jun 3, 2012
    This was the worst movie I have seen this year. I generally do not like comic book super hero films but this one really was dreadful. The plot was stupid, the acting was stupid, the aliens were stupid, the street scenes were stupid, and I was stupid for going. Captain America, give me a break! Why did Ruffalo and Renner appear in this piece of garbage? This is what audience crave? Thor andThis was the worst movie I have seen this year. I generally do not like comic book super hero films but this one really was dreadful. The plot was stupid, the acting was stupid, the aliens were stupid, the street scenes were stupid, and I was stupid for going. Captain America, give me a break! Why did Ruffalo and Renner appear in this piece of garbage? This is what audience crave? Thor and his hammer! God, I was sick to my stomach. Expand
  4. Jan 22, 2015
    The Avengers is not just bad, it's boring as hell. I simply don't get the appeal for these sorts of films. A 15 minute plot and 2 hours of mindless, mind numbing action is not exactly my idea of entertainment. Might as well go into the kitchen, bang a few utensils around and use my own imagination. It's certainly not art and it's not even fun.
  5. May 15, 2012
    The Avengers is middling at best. It is incredibly cliched, predictable and shallow. Character development is nil, as well as tension or suspense. Cheesy one liners and attempts at humor further sink The Avengers. The only redeeming quality of the movie was Loki, the main villain.
  6. May 24, 2012
    I listened to everyone who raved about this movie and I was so disappointed. Boring with a capital B; I could generally anticipate everything that they were going to do, say, or have a big noise to surprize the audience. Even the visual effects was so predictable and the dialogue was straight out of Screenwriting 101. If you must see it, rent it on DVD so you can fast forward through allI listened to everyone who raved about this movie and I was so disappointed. Boring with a capital B; I could generally anticipate everything that they were going to do, say, or have a big noise to surprize the audience. Even the visual effects was so predictable and the dialogue was straight out of Screenwriting 101. If you must see it, rent it on DVD so you can fast forward through all the endless exposition of people talking you to death. Expand
  7. Aug 6, 2014
    Aburridísima. Pensé que no estaría mal juntar a tantos superhéroes pero el resultado fue una película con una primera hora llena de diálogos vacíos y chistes tontos (que alguien le pegue un tiro ya a thor y hulk, pensaba yo) y una segunda hora de acción que solo demuestra que lo único bueno de la peli son sus efectos. ¿En serio os gusta esto?
    Películas para niños pequeños... Marvel las ha
    Películas para niños pequeños... Marvel las ha hecho mejores. Desastrosa.
  8. Jun 26, 2015
    Seriously the best superhero movie ever? no way. It is very mediocre. Just a bunch of superheroes trying to one up each other while battling one of the least terrifying villains of all time.
  9. Dec 30, 2014
    In the Avengers, all famous superheroes team up to save humans. The film has action, humor and a story but all of them are superficial and underdeveloped. The Avengers aims at catering all kind of audience (those who love superheroes, or actions, or comedies) but delivers a mixture that is none.

The idea of superheroes never settled well with me. The idea that we, people, are helpless and need superheroes to save and protect us is a troubling idea to say the best about it.

I really don't understand all the hype around this movie. 2 hours of your time is worth more than the laughter you get from seeing Hulk smashing Loki to the floor a few times (and that's the only good thing in the movie).
  10. May 27, 2013
    I don't like all characters, Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and antagonist. Their weaon, costume, armor is very unattractive. I don't like superhero movies. They are invincible, they always win easily. That is why I love protagonist from horror movies or mafia movie, the protagonist dies or survive. Protagonist who try to survive with kitchen knife, axe,I don't like all characters, Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and antagonist. Their weaon, costume, armor is very unattractive. I don't like superhero movies. They are invincible, they always win easily. That is why I love protagonist from horror movies or mafia movie, the protagonist dies or survive. Protagonist who try to survive with kitchen knife, axe, or pistol with 3 bullets, like Erin from The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Expand
  11. Jan 19, 2015
    DISAPOINTING

For heroes like this to be in a movie, there should be more action with the hulk. As well as that there was a horrible plot behind the movie and it can bore you to death sometimes. This was truly horrible.
  12. May 13, 2013
    I don't know if I'm missing something here. I felt like the Avengers had it's moments, but they were moments. The movie was predominantly stupid, which is frustrating. I watched the avengers act like children. I watched both the avengers, and the bad guys make dumb decisions. Hawkeye, you blew up one engine with an arrow. Why not blow up two, or three, or four? Oh, okay. You're going toI don't know if I'm missing something here. I felt like the Avengers had it's moments, but they were moments. The movie was predominantly stupid, which is frustrating. I watched the avengers act like children. I watched both the avengers, and the bad guys make dumb decisions. Hawkeye, you blew up one engine with an arrow. Why not blow up two, or three, or four? Oh, okay. You're going to hack the system to shut down the other one. Right. And I feel like this would be acceptable, if the film owned up to it. If there was some reason that being dumb was okay. But it didn't major plot twists were created, and solved on mistakes, jealousies, and blunders. That's a lot less fun than cleverness. Expand
  13. Feb 1, 2014
    Mala muy sobre valorada, Joss Whedon puede ser bue guionista pero como director deja mucho que desear, la película es decepcionante y todos parecen niños desesperados por esta película. Una historia muy simple.
  14. May 27, 2012
    I'm a Long time Whedon fan who was BORED BEYOND BELIEF. Can't believe the most commercially successful thing he's ever done is far-and-away his worst - oh, the irony. "Avengers" focused on everything that sucks about super-hero movies - absurd plot based on dumbest-ever world-threatening McGuffin, stupid villain, convenient-not-clever heroics. I don't hate the genre - I liked "Iron Man"I'm a Long time Whedon fan who was BORED BEYOND BELIEF. Can't believe the most commercially successful thing he's ever done is far-and-away his worst - oh, the irony. "Avengers" focused on everything that sucks about super-hero movies - absurd plot based on dumbest-ever world-threatening McGuffin, stupid villain, convenient-not-clever heroics. I don't hate the genre - I liked "Iron Man" and even "Capt America." But from the opening action sequence on, I just didn't care one iota about anything that was happening. Contemplated walking out after about 45 minutes and wish I had as it's an ENDLESS MOVIE and I'll never get those 2.5 hours back. I give Joss points for giving little girls someone to root for by making Black Widow a substantial member of the team and not the mere token chick. That there are about 3 good jokes, but none are worth the time and money. If you love Joss, watch Serenity again it's 10 thousand times better. Expand
  15. Feb 3, 2014
    Perfect example of an overrated movie. The saying "Less is more" applies here. There are too many super heroes in this film and none of them are used appropriately. The movie is also much longer than it needs to be. It never seems to end and for most of it, it is boring and forgettable. By the time the real action begins, you're already more than 3/4s into the film. This is a dumb stupidPerfect example of an overrated movie. The saying "Less is more" applies here. There are too many super heroes in this film and none of them are used appropriately. The movie is also much longer than it needs to be. It never seems to end and for most of it, it is boring and forgettable. By the time the real action begins, you're already more than 3/4s into the film. This is a dumb stupid popcorn movie featuring a dumb stupid team of superheroes. Ironman on his own or Hulk on his own are great but throw them in with goody two shoes Captain America whose character is flat, boring and lifeless or Mr. Bulging Biceps Thor who isn't a super hero at all (He's a mythical God. Next time, the Avengers should recruit Zeus or Jesus Christ) and is the beefed up equivalent of Brandan Frasier's boy in a bunker and its just gets sloshed around into a muddled mess. Expand
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    He did not like much. I expected much better. The film was highly overrated, no epic, no emotion, nothing was a cinch. People are very rare, then criticize the serious films like Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises, the truth is that this is awesome.
  17. Dec 10, 2013
    Decepcionante, es una adaptación bastante fría, sin emoción no eh visto nada EPICO en esta película, su tono infantil la caga un poco. La expectativa fue mucha y termino siendo una decepción total.
  18. May 8, 2012
    This is "Power Rangers" for adults, with fancier special effects. Please, a flying invisible aircraft carrier. My suspension of disbelief broke into a million pieces. It obviously wasn't there when the film asked me to believe that the horrendously destructive battle of six spiffy looking Marvel characters and thousands of space creatures pouring through a space portal in the middle of NewThis is "Power Rangers" for adults, with fancier special effects. Please, a flying invisible aircraft carrier. My suspension of disbelief broke into a million pieces. It obviously wasn't there when the film asked me to believe that the horrendously destructive battle of six spiffy looking Marvel characters and thousands of space creatures pouring through a space portal in the middle of New York City didn't lead to the wholly unnecessary deaths of thousands of people. Please. "It's just comic book stuff" doesn't excuse the fact that it still must be made to look reasonable for the viewer to buy into it. There was no one to root for, no real plot tension, no depth of character -- the constant pointless bickering between Avengers doesn't count. Come on. What kind of shallow people these days think that a film that merely amounts to an agonizing overload of street kickboxing to defeat an effete space god is a "10" on this scale. Have video games made so many people this way? That's the real scary thing the Avengers should be avenging. Expand
  19. Mar 8, 2013
    A horrible movie, definitely did not deserve the money it made. I can't think of a lot of things that I actually liked about the movie, because there really aren't a lot. I was actually surprised at the story of the movie, it sounds like a mentally challenged child wrote it. The first ten minutes of the movie alone ruined it, it's just a horrible story that only idiots would like. TheA horrible movie, definitely did not deserve the money it made. I can't think of a lot of things that I actually liked about the movie, because there really aren't a lot. I was actually surprised at the story of the movie, it sounds like a mentally challenged child wrote it. The first ten minutes of the movie alone ruined it, it's just a horrible story that only idiots would like. The entire movie is pretty much just special effects and not much else. Unless you're one of those morons whose easily amused by the pretty lights on the screen, don't ever watch this movie. Expand
  20. Jan 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Avengers is a pitiful excuse of a movie. The film is so heavy on action sequences that plot, character development, and any good storytelling are just nonexistent. There is so much useless humor that the movie just drags on. The last battle seemed like it was half the entire movie and battle ended unnaturally quickly and with little effort but the avengers. Hawkeye and Black Widow, who are just human beings, seem to be able to take out huge aliens with guns with ease. The hulk, who said he could control his transformation by always being angry completely baffles me. If he is always angry and can control himself, then why did he transform when he was on the floating base. A highly overrated and completely terrible film. Expand
  21. Nov 29, 2013
    The truth is that neither film excited me at any time, lacks epic, awesome and it was very overrated. The truth donot like people I went crazy for this movie.
  22. Feb 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Watch one of the most overrated piece of entertainment since call of duty, The Avengers. Watch one of the most forgettable superhero/ action movie of 2012. See one of the most basic story plots rip off other popular moments from other films E.g. The Dark Knight, Transformers, Star Wars and Power ranger? Watch the film that has terrible character development for all the characters except Tony Stark. See one of the worst Hulks and the worst actor to play Bruce Banner "Christ i almost mistook it for the BFG, i mean what the hell happened to Ed Norton". Watch how all these super hero movies can do what Christopher Nolan can do in just one film. "My god how the hell did this get so many good ratings". Expand
  23. Sep 29, 2015
    Found this movie incredibly dull and childish, some parts were slightly amusing and the actors did a good job but overall I found it a unexceptional film. It was lacking excitement and had a overall un-captivating story line. I'm sure the kids loved it but I prefer my movies to be more mature.
  24. Dec 4, 2012
    My most honest opinion as a Marvel fan: this movie is an absolute piece of garbage and overrated as hell. It's just as dumb and moronic as Bay's Transformers by only focusing on big budget special effects and random silly jokes. I give it a 2/10 because Mark Ruffalo was the only good thing about this film otherwise it would have been a 0/10.

It's good for little kids but those 3D

It's good for little kids but those 3D animated movies have much more depth than The Avengers. This movie could lower theirs and your IQ.
  25. May 14, 2012
    Where's the story? Lots of punches but nothing to make me interested in the characters or the plot - what plot? What does it say about us that this movie has been so popular? I followed MC's recommendation and was sorely disappointed. The bits of humor and Robert Downey were the only bright spots in a really boring movie. Loki's horns looked ridiculous.
  26. May 23, 2012
    Despite being billed as an action movie, The Avengers is painfully slow. Much of the plot involves the eponymous team fighting each other, though we all know going in that they will eventually team-up, so this lengthy attempt at conflict seems especially sluggish and misdirected. Robert Downey Jr. And Samuel L. Jackson both manage to pull focus and remind you you're watching a bad movieDespite being billed as an action movie, The Avengers is painfully slow. Much of the plot involves the eponymous team fighting each other, though we all know going in that they will eventually team-up, so this lengthy attempt at conflict seems especially sluggish and misdirected. Robert Downey Jr. And Samuel L. Jackson both manage to pull focus and remind you you're watching a bad movie more than they usually do, which is saying something; and the cast is generally much too aware they are in a movie for it to work. Indeed, The Avengers is so remarkably unambitious they even manage to avoid developing some of the team's most notable members like The Scarlet Witch and The Vision, choices that would be mystifying if it wasn't so clearly a cynically half-hearted attempt at storytelling. Nevertheless, Chris Evans is still nice to look at. Expand
  27. May 19, 2013
    This movie is terrible the story is dog and I don't see why people buzz about it I turned it off after 40 mins and Loki come on why not red skull...
  28. Oct 19, 2013
    I hate how marvel shows their heroes today, very violent and taking so many lives. they are too brutal and it's hard to view them as heroes especially when a huge part of marvel's fan base are children. They are viewed as gods and its ridiculous that they just take a life at will. Another thing that I hate is marvel is just being a copycat with this movie. With Loki purposely gettingI hate how marvel shows their heroes today, very violent and taking so many lives. they are too brutal and it's hard to view them as heroes especially when a huge part of marvel's fan base are children. They are viewed as gods and its ridiculous that they just take a life at will. Another thing that I hate is marvel is just being a copycat with this movie. With Loki purposely getting captured like the joker in the dark knight then destroying the air base from within just like how joker destroyed the police station. Another thing is the whole destroy the mothership and kill the whole army this is copied from Battle L.A. And Star Wars the phantom menace. Marvel is just a mediocre copycat company. They should be more original with the wonderful characters that they have. Expand
  29. Dec 15, 2013
    Una cagada, aburrida por momentos, las peleas son flojas, sin EPICA sin EMOCIÓN una mierda en general. Fue muy sobre valorada. La gente es ciega, salí del cine re decepcionado.
  30. Dec 8, 2013
    A get together of superheroes should have been set more entertainingly. When you don't have a story good enough, even a lot of superheroes fail to keep you hooked. The Aviator might have sounded exciting on paper, but what I watched was a let-down. I take consolation in knowing that it worked out for the majority of its audience (purely going by the ratings shown here). Can't wait for theA get together of superheroes should have been set more entertainingly. When you don't have a story good enough, even a lot of superheroes fail to keep you hooked. The Aviator might have sounded exciting on paper, but what I watched was a let-down. I take consolation in knowing that it worked out for the majority of its audience (purely going by the ratings shown here). Can't wait for the sequel!!! With all due respect, 1/5 sounds fair enough for the experience. Miss the good old days wherein I can picture myself enjoying this sort of movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.