7.9

1. Jun 9, 2013
    The best superhero movie of all time. This movie is so amazing, bringing the superheroes together and forming the avengers was the perfect idea for marvel. Loki played a great villain in this movie and it was a lot of action and pretty hilarious. This movie had so much action that it was hard to take your eyes of the screen for just a second. Iron man was the most exciting thing about thisThe best superhero movie of all time. This movie is so amazing, bringing the superheroes together and forming the avengers was the perfect idea for marvel. Loki played a great villain in this movie and it was a lot of action and pretty hilarious. This movie had so much action that it was hard to take your eyes of the screen for just a second. Iron man was the most exciting thing about this movie to me. This is definitely one of my favorite movies and if you watch the extra ending of the movie it gives you a clue that Thanos will be in the next movie. Watching this movie tells you that the guardians of the galaxy will be very good. Expand
  2. Jun 6, 2013
    The story is based more on action than plot. That said, I wouldn't say the plot is bad, it's just not particularly strong. It overcomes that with great action sequences, passable acting (great in the cases of Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo), and likable characters. It's a superhero movie, so don't expect anything in depth, but it is a fun movie.
  3. Jun 6, 2013
    The Avengers. It's what they call themselves, sort of like a team. "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" type thing. Yeah, takes them a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one. But let's do a head count here: A demi-god; a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend; a man with breath-taking anger management issues; a couple of master assassins. They have a FreakinThe Avengers. It's what they call themselves, sort of like a team. "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" type thing. Yeah, takes them a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one. But let's do a head count here: A demi-god; a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend; a man with breath-taking anger management issues; a couple of master assassins. They have a Freakin Hulk!!

This movie is everything a comic book movie should be.
  4. May 31, 2013
    As a guy who enjoys superhero movies, I have to say that The Avengers is one of the best superhero movies of all time. Robert Downey Jr. was great as Iron Man. Chris Evans was great as Captain America. Mark Ruffalo was fantastic as Bruce Banner and Tom Hiddleston was amazing as Loki, who is one of my favorite super villains ever. The plot was extraordinary. Just do yourself a favor andAs a guy who enjoys superhero movies, I have to say that The Avengers is one of the best superhero movies of all time. Robert Downey Jr. was great as Iron Man. Chris Evans was great as Captain America. Mark Ruffalo was fantastic as Bruce Banner and Tom Hiddleston was amazing as Loki, who is one of my favorite super villains ever. The plot was extraordinary. Just do yourself a favor and watch this movie. Expand
  5. May 30, 2013
    I'm not gonna lie, this movie was absolutely amazing! Also, if I'm being completely honest, I went in assuming it would be another highly overrated superhero movie that couldn't like up to the hype. It definitely wouldn't be the first time I disagreed with the critics. Boy was I mistaken. Outside of the films from Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, this is easily the best superheroI'm not gonna lie, this movie was absolutely amazing! Also, if I'm being completely honest, I went in assuming it would be another highly overrated superhero movie that couldn't like up to the hype. It definitely wouldn't be the first time I disagreed with the critics. Boy was I mistaken. Outside of the films from Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, this is easily the best superhero movie ever made. They plot developed perfectly, the action sequences were incredible, there were a lot of unexpectedly humorous scenes and dialogue, and the characters and actors were all great. One of my concerns going in was how they would possibly give each character their fair shake. Well the great Joss Whedon did a great job keeping a perfect balance between staying true to the individual characters while further introducing a developing Black Widow and Hawkeye. Another thing, Mark Ruffalo did a marvelous job as Bruce Banner. A lot of people were worried about him in that role and were upset about the change from Edward Norton. Maybe it's because I'm biased and loathe Norton but I thought Ruffalo did a better job as Banner. I wouldn't have minded them focusing a little more time on the Hawkeye character and I wouldn't have minded if they actually squeezed in Natalie Portman's character for a quick scene or two but the movie really didn't need it. I just think if you can put Portman on screen, you put Portman on screen, lol. I also wouldn't have minded if they focused a bit more on the villainous pawns and where they come from but I have a feeling we'll find out more about them in the following Avengers sequels so I can't be too upset about that. All in all, if you like superhero movies, action movies, or just kick ass movies in general, you should like this movie too. Expand
  6. May 27, 2013
    I don't like all characters, Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and antagonist. Their weaon, costume, armor is very unattractive. I don't like superhero movies. They are invincible, they always win easily. That is why I love protagonist from horror movies or mafia movie, the protagonist dies or survive. Protagonist who try to survive with kitchen knife, axe,I don't like all characters, Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and antagonist. Their weaon, costume, armor is very unattractive. I don't like superhero movies. They are invincible, they always win easily. That is why I love protagonist from horror movies or mafia movie, the protagonist dies or survive. Protagonist who try to survive with kitchen knife, axe, or pistol with 3 bullets, like Erin from The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Expand
  7. May 24, 2013
    I love this movie. The special affects were excellent and I love how the characters have to come together and work on the same side instead of all going there own way. I hope the next movie is as good.
  8. May 22, 2013
    This movie pulls off what it is trying to do perfectly. The acting is great, the plot, while not complex, works, and the visual effects are stunning. While not as good as The Dark Knight Rises, This movie perfectly does what it set out to do. But seriously, during the last big fight, how are they talking to each other without earpieces?
  9. May 19, 2013
    This movie is terrible the story is dog and I don't see why people buzz about it I turned it off after 40 mins and Loki come on why not red skull...
  10. May 15, 2013
    The mother of all Superhero movies. Really enjoyed it, Absolutely Electrified me. The Avengers definitely was the cherry on top of the cake of Marvels Phase 1 and will be loved by fans in this entire realm for Generations to come.
  11. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ''this song was kick ass from start to finish i new it was going to be chronic all the superheros were 10/10 the acting was the same and i was in love with the hulk he kicked ass expecially when he fought Loki and loki was like u are a dull creature i am a god then hulk kicks his ass Expand
  12. May 13, 2013
    This is last year's summer blockbuster. The Avengers has its moments and you won't fall asleep, but it is a bit too busy, probably because it has five or six superheroes too many, including two from Norse mythology. I'm not sure that Loki and Thor count as superheroes. Thor is the Norse god of thunder; in this film, he is frequently depicted wielding a gold oversized hammer that looks likeThis is last year's summer blockbuster. The Avengers has its moments and you won't fall asleep, but it is a bit too busy, probably because it has five or six superheroes too many, including two from Norse mythology. I'm not sure that Loki and Thor count as superheroes. Thor is the Norse god of thunder; in this film, he is frequently depicted wielding a gold oversized hammer that looks like a giant dreidel. Loki is, according to mythology, a rather weird loner of a god who causes all kinds of mischief, and he is famous for being a shapeshifter, an attribute which is not explored in this story. In this film, Loki is the mad genius who wants to destroy the world, the typical villain that turns up in every superhero movie from Batman to Austin Powers to the T-Rex in Jurassic Park. In Norse mythology, Loki is constantly fouling things up, and he is not a nice god, but he doesn't have enough ambition or smarts to try to destroy the planet.

For example, in a famous mythological scene, Odin, the chief god, is on planet Earth strolling along to pay a respectful visit the King of the Dwarves. Odin is accompanied by Loki and another god. The King's son is also a shapeshifter, and the son is lounging by the stream in the shape of an otter. Loki sees the otter, and all he can think is “lunch,” so while Odin walks on ahead, Loki stops to kill the otter, throw it over his shoulders, and then give the poor Dwarf King a real shock when he enters the house a few minutes behind Odin, carrying some delectable meat. This causes Odin all kinds of problems, as he then has to find a way to give the Dwarf King restitution for the death of his son. Tom Hiddleston as Loki does a very good portrayal of unrelenting evil, but the relation to the mythological Loki is weak.

Even Robert Downey Jr. gets lost in the sauce, since his Iron Man has much less screen time here than what he's used to, and he's sharing the set with too many other A-listers. Downey is a little out of shape in this film, a state he seems to have recently corrected, but the main problem is that Iron Man as a team player doesn't seem to work. Mark Ruffalo's the Hulk is so hulking and destructive that he gets on your nerves. He's a bull in a china shop, and his massive destructiveness is a little annoying. The pleasant surprise is Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow. Her best scene is when she's tied to a chair and is seemingly being interrogated, if not tortured, but in fact she is the one conducting the interrogation by asking a lot of questions while perceived as being in a state of bondage from which she cannot escape. When she has to answer her cell phone, she drops the ruse, beats everybody up, and gets back to the office. That scene is worth the rest of the movie.

The film is entertaining on a somewhat juvenile level, but given that it made over a billion dollars, the producers are obviously not concerned about high art with respect to this genre.
  13. May 13, 2013
    I don't know if I'm missing something here. I felt like the Avengers had it's moments, but they were moments. The movie was predominantly stupid, which is frustrating. I watched the avengers act like children. I watched both the avengers, and the bad guys make dumb decisions. Hawkeye, you blew up one engine with an arrow. Why not blow up two, or three, or four? Oh, okay. You're going toI don't know if I'm missing something here. I felt like the Avengers had it's moments, but they were moments. The movie was predominantly stupid, which is frustrating. I watched the avengers act like children. I watched both the avengers, and the bad guys make dumb decisions. Hawkeye, you blew up one engine with an arrow. Why not blow up two, or three, or four? Oh, okay. You're going to hack the system to shut down the other one. Right. And I feel like this would be acceptable, if the film owned up to it. If there was some reason that being dumb was okay. But it didn't major plot twists were created, and solved on mistakes, jealousies, and blunders. That's a lot less fun than cleverness. Expand
  14. May 12, 2013
    Everything happens very fast which helps maintain a constant climax, with a story that humanizes the heroes, and scenes as spectacular as those of Transformers 3, what could be better is the largest participation of Thor and Captain America, and the decentralization of the plot in Iron Man and Hulk.
  15. Apr 26, 2013
    Not only is The Avengers a great film by itself, its also a great; Iron Man movie, Captain America movie, Hulk movie and Thor movie. With the huge potential of failure from the unprecedented build up, it is one of the biggest comic book achievements ever
  16. Apr 17, 2013
    Why. Why is there support for a bland film such as this? I'm telling you, it's just not that good. The characters are virtually the same. None of them have any real interesting characteristics or attributes that grabbed my attention other than Samuel L. Jackson simply because he is Samuel L. Jackson. Robert Downey Jr. and the other Avengers all act at the same level of socialWhy. Why is there support for a bland film such as this? I'm telling you, it's just not that good. The characters are virtually the same. None of them have any real interesting characteristics or attributes that grabbed my attention other than Samuel L. Jackson simply because he is Samuel L. Jackson. Robert Downey Jr. and the other Avengers all act at the same level of social communication, but they jut have arguments in between to fool the audience that there is tension in the film. The villain is a laughable archetype in the movie, included with the most original lines such as "I will rule this world" and "The end of this world is nigh". 80% of the movie takes place on the airship with nothing to do but squabble and run into accidents. It's extremely boring, and the special effects and "classic comic lines" are not worth my time nor should they be worth anybody's. The Avengers does not deserve the praise it gets. Expand
  17. Apr 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Visually, the movie is a treat. And that ends to positive portion of my review. I basically agree with most of the negative reviews, but I refuse to give the movie a 1 or 2. It most certainly wasn't that bad. I just felt that I was waiting the whole film for something to bring me to the edge of my seat, and it didn't happen. The final battle scene was terrible. It went on and on and on, and got dumber and dumber as it did. It felt like it was half the movie, but after the first 2 or 3 minutes of the battle, we'd seen it all. It didn't need to drone on like a bad philosophy professor. There were two many characters for any of them to be written well. I hated the Captain America movie, but I was more interested in his character then than I was in this one. Bruce Banner was pathetic. And could someone please explain to me how Hulk suddenly could go from wanted to kill Black Widow to suddenly understanding everything? The Ironman Mark 7 bit was ridiculous, and some of the arrows that Hawkeye used were ludicrous. Yes, I am keeping in mind this was based on a comic, but come on! Expand
  18. Apr 7, 2013
    This is hands down the best super hero movie made to-date, and I've seen them all. At over 2 hours and 20 minutes, it is wholly captivating, perfectly balancing character development, team development (which is critical for this movie) and eye-popping 3D action. This is no small feat, bringing together the six "heroes.". Even the minor characters are brought to the forefront (JeremyThis is hands down the best super hero movie made to-date, and I've seen them all. At over 2 hours and 20 minutes, it is wholly captivating, perfectly balancing character development, team development (which is critical for this movie) and eye-popping 3D action. This is no small feat, bringing together the six "heroes.". Even the minor characters are brought to the forefront (Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye and Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, for example), enriching their characters and making their action sequences just as cool and dynamic.

And surprisingly, it is the best Hulk movie. There are two scenes featuring the Hulk that will have you laughing so hard you'll be in tears. You'd think Iron Man would have the coolest action sequences, but when the Hulk inflicts carnage on the enemies, you don't want it to stop.

This is Josh Whedon's breakout movie. No longer will he be known as "the guy that made the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series," but the guy that made The Avengers.
  19. Apr 6, 2013
    As I write this review, the Avengers is my personal favorite movie. The Avengers is an absolute blast, featuring mind-blowing special effects and CGI, great performances all around, and humor that makes this an all-around incredible movie.

My personal favorites in this movie were Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man and Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk. Robert Downey, Jr. brought back more of his sarcastic and witty comments that make him the best character in the movie. However, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner was just incredible. He played the part very well. As for the Hulk, he was awesome.

I also have to applaud the other cast members (Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Scarlett Johannsenn, Jeremy Renner). They all did very well in their respective roles and I felt that Loki was a very good villain.

Overall, this is an absolutely stunning movie that every has to see at some point.
  20. Apr 2, 2013
    When the demoman from Team Fortress 2 is involved in your movie, you're doing something right. People, you need to follow the likes of this movie, because it is simply amazing. Please watch this movie
  21. Mar 30, 2013
    Wow "HULK SMASH," his way in to give this movie a 10 easy! How could I give it anything else after watching the Hulk!? Is it even possible, nope not for me. This move is a must watch! I don`t know what anybody who does not like this movie was expecting. Did you think this was "A Beautiful Mind" part two? At first I wondered how they would make all the heroes come together, but they did aWow "HULK SMASH," his way in to give this movie a 10 easy! How could I give it anything else after watching the Hulk!? Is it even possible, nope not for me. This move is a must watch! I don`t know what anybody who does not like this movie was expecting. Did you think this was "A Beautiful Mind" part two? At first I wondered how they would make all the heroes come together, but they did a great job with it. All the characters fit right in. The critics are crazy for not liking this, I don`t know why they even exist, everybody should have their own opinions on movies and everything in life. If you just listen to critics, or even friends you will miss out on allot of things you actually would like. Expand
  22. Mar 27, 2013
    Just a bunch of fighting scenes with less than desirable dialogue and plot.
  23. Mar 23, 2013
    A popcorn movie that gets everything a popcorn movie needs right. It's got the special effects, cheesy dialogue and like-able characters, but it does it all effortlessly and is one of the best superhero movies to date.
  24. Mar 23, 2013
    I was surprised, this movie is really good, I thought it was another of Transformers, but it was really smart and funny.
    The result was not only a blast, but also led to more adaptations, including the coveted 'Spiderman' walked many years ago stuck in an economically unviable Study (Carolco) and promoters like James Cameron who remained in the way.
    They know how to count and give casual
    They know how to count and give casual joke humorous, sad not like Michael Bay attempts to do so. The performances are really good by the entire cast, especially that of Tom Hiddleston, is really good and hae see Loki's character as a great and dangerous villain of comic books, and my opinion much deserved every award nomination.
    The visual effects and uncountable stages are really amazing, definitely an Oscar nomination in this.
    What I did not like was that it is very predictable, so I tend to like movies, I like movies when something unexpected happens, but here there was exepcion, also becomes longer and that can be very annoying as the movie.
    Nearly two hours of footage, and how difficult was entertained. In the end it was hard not to. Not drops, not weakens and does not disappoint, with all the spectacular and the technique allows exploiting the potential in each frame which was holding. If you had to hang a picture next to the term 'blockbuster popping' the heroes traveling on the streets of New York would be the ideal.

'The Avengers' have joined. They do not separate the precipitated sequels.
    Good Movie.
    My Score: 9.3
  25. Mar 17, 2013
    An exciting thrill ride from start to finish. This is exactly what you expect in a summer block buster. It's not easy to take this many superheroes and keep all the characters relevant that's a credit to Joss Whedon.
  26. Mar 16, 2013
    It is one of 2012 best movies. It is suitable for just any age. Iron man, Hulk, Captain America etc... are awesome. I just don't know why did critics gave it 60 while it has a score of 92 on rotten tomatoes and it deserves 92. Buy it on DVD or wait until its TV release. Recommended for anyone.
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    A horrible movie, definitely did not deserve the money it made. I can't think of a lot of things that I actually liked about the movie, because there really aren't a lot. I was actually surprised at the story of the movie, it sounds like a mentally challenged child wrote it. The first ten minutes of the movie alone ruined it, it's just a horrible story that only idiots would like. TheA horrible movie, definitely did not deserve the money it made. I can't think of a lot of things that I actually liked about the movie, because there really aren't a lot. I was actually surprised at the story of the movie, it sounds like a mentally challenged child wrote it. The first ten minutes of the movie alone ruined it, it's just a horrible story that only idiots would like. The entire movie is pretty much just special effects and not much else. Unless you're one of those morons whose easily amused by the pretty lights on the screen, don't ever watch this movie. Expand
  28. Mar 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is utterly fantastic! We get all our favorite characters from previous Marvel films and they are put into 1...what isn't there to like.

With the fantastic direction from Joss Whedon (Buffy The Vampire Slayer I know right! Quite a difference) this film lives up to its hype which many films do not this film also has the best CGI I have ever seen...The best sequence for me is the one shot where there are no cuts, just one fluent shot which follows Iron Man as he helps each of the Avengers one-by-one.

Now, why have I put this film on a 9/10...That's because I did not really enjoy the prolonged bickering between the Avengers. It took way too long for them to finally work together. However, it does not mean the banter during these scenes were boring!

Overall, a fantastic Super-Hero movie, possibly the best, the only fault would be the ever-long bickering over than that...all I got to say if you haven't watched it yet, stop reading now and watch it!
  29. Feb 19, 2013
    This film is not as good as everyone said it was. It is quite bland, seemed somewhat lifeless and was backed up by a lacking storyline. But, it was quite good fun; despite the problems I had with the story, the acting was of a pretty high standard from most of the cast, particularly from the main antagonist of the film, who was creepy, strong and weak at all the right times, perhaps aThis film is not as good as everyone said it was. It is quite bland, seemed somewhat lifeless and was backed up by a lacking storyline. But, it was quite good fun; despite the problems I had with the story, the acting was of a pretty high standard from most of the cast, particularly from the main antagonist of the film, who was creepy, strong and weak at all the right times, perhaps a little stale at times however. The music was forgettable, the action was good, but not outstanding, and even though every character got a good amount of time in the limelight, it felt like Iron Man and Black Widow's film. The film is very conventionally shot, no nice camera tricks or spectacular shots appeared in the movie, this is not so much a negative of the film: but it certainly could have been better. Overall though, The Avengers is a fun film, that will definitely appeal more to fans of the Avengers, but both the Amazing Spiderman and the Dark Knight Rises present a more appealing superhero movie for 2012. Decent fun, but flawed. 68/100. Expand
  30. Feb 9, 2013
    I still cannot believe I wasted my money on this, what a complete and utter waste of time! I am shocked by the fact people thought this movie was great. I mean the acting was poor, the screenplay was laughable and the directing was far from perfect. It's so sad that people don't know good movies anymore these days.
  31. Jan 28, 2013
    The Avengers is the best Marvel comic book movie ever made. This movie had great action, great acting, and a great plot. It's 143 minutes of pure awesomeness and excitement. Also this movie had fantastic acting from Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, and Tom Hiddleston. This is one of my favorite films of all time. This is the best film of 2012 by far.
  32. Jan 24, 2013
    It is the closest to perfection a comic book movie adaptation can get. I really can not say too much else. I found almost nothing wrong with it, however, I do feel they could have gotten a more prominent Villain. Loki was convincing and a worthy foe, but it just felt like they could have gone up against someone more sinister than an Asgardian with daddy issues. Still, a fantastic film thatIt is the closest to perfection a comic book movie adaptation can get. I really can not say too much else. I found almost nothing wrong with it, however, I do feel they could have gotten a more prominent Villain. Loki was convincing and a worthy foe, but it just felt like they could have gone up against someone more sinister than an Asgardian with daddy issues. Still, a fantastic film that I can watch over and over. How on earth did Cobie Smulders get cast in this movie? Quite the big leap from TV sitcom to ...... this. There's nothing wrong with her, I was just pleasantly surprised. Expand
  33. Jan 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Avengers is a pitiful excuse of a movie. The film is so heavy on action sequences that plot, character development, and any good storytelling are just nonexistent. There is so much useless humor that the movie just drags on. The last battle seemed like it was half the entire movie and battle ended unnaturally quickly and with little effort but the avengers. Hawkeye and Black Widow, who are just human beings, seem to be able to take out huge aliens with guns with ease. The hulk, who said he could control his transformation by always being angry completely baffles me. If he is always angry and can control himself, then why did he transform when he was on the floating base. A highly overrated and completely terrible film. Expand
  34. Jan 22, 2013
    Considering the number of movies that came out this year, the Avengers stand near the top of the list. It balances the creation of the superheroes with the dynamic of peoples whom all would have such huge egos having to come together as a team. The comedy is amazing and creates that sense of distrust between the superheroes due to these egos. The invasion at the end is somewhat ruined byConsidering the number of movies that came out this year, the Avengers stand near the top of the list. It balances the creation of the superheroes with the dynamic of peoples whom all would have such huge egos having to come together as a team. The comedy is amazing and creates that sense of distrust between the superheroes due to these egos. The invasion at the end is somewhat ruined by the "Phantom menace Droid Army Syndrome" but beyond that was a solid movie. Expand
  35. Jan 19, 2013
    I began watching this movie expecting something decent, but nothing too exceptional. However, it really was pretty good. I don't claim that the Avengers film was a brilliant piece of work, but it entertained me, and at the end of the day that's what I'm after.
  36. Jan 17, 2013
    I obviously don't hold the popular opinion here, but to me this movie just didn't measure up. I've seen both Iron Man movies, Captain America, and many of the past Marvel movies including characters featured in this film, and I thought most if not all of them were better than this one. Maybe it's just that I've outgrown the more playful and mindlessly violent tone of these types of movies,I obviously don't hold the popular opinion here, but to me this movie just didn't measure up. I've seen both Iron Man movies, Captain America, and many of the past Marvel movies including characters featured in this film, and I thought most if not all of them were better than this one. Maybe it's just that I've outgrown the more playful and mindlessly violent tone of these types of movies, but to me the movie just felt childish and simplistic. I realize that in a way, it's a great triumph seeing this crazy symphony of classic Marvel characters clashing with enemies and sometimes themselves, which in a way makes it the perfect superhero movie, but it just doesn't seem to create the same type of captivation one would expect from such an ordeal. It just feels goofy and undeveloped in a sense, unfortunately. Expand
  37. Jan 17, 2013
    I like this movie but it isn't my favorite.
  38. Jan 12, 2013
    It's not every day a film comes along that has such an exciting, fast pace, but also has such a satisfactory, witty script, good actors, a genuinely slimy villain in the tradition of Basil Rathbone, and spectacular action sequences that do not go on and on, but thrill. Take the opportunity to watch this one. It's well worth the money.
  39. Jan 11, 2013
    The avengers is the best movie with best cast.I can't wait till avengers 2 comes out. Avengers is the best super hero movie. Bat man is nothing compered to the avengers.
  40. Jan 9, 2013
    I hate starting off a good review with a rant, but really? Comparing this movie to Transformers? Only league where this was the same as Transformers were the groundbreaking special effects, simple as that.
    Director Joss Whedon has created a film that has a mixture of all of our favourite fanboy fantasies, a near-perfect script in which the title characters, particularly (and as usual) Robert Downey Jr, i mean, who else but Whedon's dark yet comical understanding of the genre and Downey Jr's witty delivery could get away with labelling Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth) as "Point Break" or calling Clint 'Hawkeye' Barton (Jeremy Renner) Legolas? Simple little bows to other genres captivate this into a gloriously fresh and surprisingly funny film, and a wonderful beginning to more Avengers.
    The excellently diverse Tom Hiddlestone reprises his role as Thor's brother, Loki, who attempts to capture the Tesseract, which first appeared in Captain America (again played by Chris Evans).
    What differentiates this ensemble film from the rest? Well for starters, all our superheroes are on the same screen, Joss Whedon is clearly not afraid to lend screen time to develop other stories, particularly Renner's Hawkeye and the return of Scarlett Johansson's delectably dangerous Black Widow. We also see the return of the most fearsome, yet difficult hero of them all, the one we have yet to see a favourable film about, Hulk. Taking over from Ed Norton,we see Mark Ruffalo taking the reigns, and quite honestly the dialogue between him and Downey Jr is not to be missed or forgotten. The interactions between all characters is unmissable. Phil Coulson returns and his as deadpan hilarious as ever, lining himself to play a pivotal role in the film.
    what please me the most watching the Avengers was how Whedon has expertly divided the screen time between all our heroes, while still maintaining a thriving story and not leaving the human characters out in the cold.
    The battle of Manhattan is stunning to watch,whether it was witnessing Iron Man bounce rays off Cap's shield to defeat enemies, Thor and Hulk teaming to fight the alien race or Black Widow and Hawkeye nitpicking with their respective skills, each member had a part to play, but it was indeed Ruffalo's Hulk who stole the show, his humorous 'other guy' stance regarding the Hulk, his nervous yet accepting persona and of course his dialogue with Tony Stark was just excellent. This was smart, sophisticated, funny, pop cultured and fun, everything Transformers wasn't. As my current re-watch favourite, this is easily the best superhero movie in a long while, suit up, grab your shield, hammer, and turn green, then watch, watch and watch again.
  41. Jan 9, 2013
    My main concern with The Avengers was, in encompassing all of the members, the film would be spread too thinly between the characters, resulting in a watered down attempt to integrate characters and personalities, a little like the X-men films. Thankfully this is not the case, although it's interesting that co-writer Zak Penn was involved in two of the X-men group films. Penn and JossMy main concern with The Avengers was, in encompassing all of the members, the film would be spread too thinly between the characters, resulting in a watered down attempt to integrate characters and personalities, a little like the X-men films. Thankfully this is not the case, although it's interesting that co-writer Zak Penn was involved in two of the X-men group films. Penn and Joss Whedon find enough screen-time for all the Avengers and by introducing them gradually through the film's opening third, sufficient emphasis is placed on each character. Similarly, I was disappointed when I discovered that the film's antagonist would be Loki, as I was not overly impressed with him in Thor. Again though, due to Hiddlestone's improved performance this time around and with Whedon's direction, I felt Loki was a much more interesting villain and one more fitting of the collective's film.

The team dynamic of between the superheroes is what really makes the film, alongside the blockbuster action sequences. Thor and Hulk clash, Captain America and Tony Stark routinely throw barbs at each other while Stark shows a surprisingly sincere side when offering support to Bruce Banner. Mark Ruffalo plays Banner with a sense of fear and regret of his destructive, uncontrollable power and I found him to be the most interesting character of the team. There's a slightly contrived back-story thrown in to give Hawkeye and Black Widow something of interest but its the funny moments between Stark and co. that gives the film its spark. Samuel. L. Jackson's brings his usual 'don't mess with me' cool factor and his larger role also benefits the movie. Being critical, I'm not sure the plot gave enough explanation as to why Banner returned to fight alongside the others after showing nothing but resistance to let 'the other guy' appear, or how he was able to control Hulk more effectively in contrast with the film's earlier events.

The so called Battle of New York finale is a really exciting well-directed battle, especially when you consider it's similarities to the frantic city battles Michael Bay treated us to in his Transformer films.

A genuine action blockbuster fit for it's cast.
  42. Jan 7, 2013
    This is by far the best Marvel film released. It avoids the forced Hollywood romance plot while delivering copious amounts of Marvel fanservice. With the exception of Captain America, I feel that each of the Marvel characters had a chance to showcase their talents. Not only that, but there's a good amount of humor in this film as well.
  43. Jan 6, 2013
    Brainless action with no real story or character's development. The movie has tons of special effects and cgs but in the end it feels more like a colorful candy that is rotten inside. Almost complete garbage.
  44. Lyn
    Jan 6, 2013
    Probably much more enjoyable on the big screen -- and I'm sure it would have been more enjoyable for a comic book aficionado. But its appearance on some of the critics' "best" lists made me curious. Campy costumes and a primary-colored plot (to the extent that there was one) made it fun in spots, but for me could not make up for the cheesy dialogue and silly story. Robert Downey Jr. hadProbably much more enjoyable on the big screen -- and I'm sure it would have been more enjoyable for a comic book aficionado. But its appearance on some of the critics' "best" lists made me curious. Campy costumes and a primary-colored plot (to the extent that there was one) made it fun in spots, but for me could not make up for the cheesy dialogue and silly story. Robert Downey Jr. had most of the best lines and wittily made good use of them; his performance definitely was the highlight. Expand
  45. Jan 6, 2013
    This movie was just bad. I love Joss Whedon but he needs a guy sitting over him while he is writing to tell him his jokes aren't funny. They chose the storyline that doesn't connect with the others on the least likeable character. All the other avengers are really good at something or science gave them powers but Thor is just a heavy handed dueche that has powers because of the cop outThis movie was just bad. I love Joss Whedon but he needs a guy sitting over him while he is writing to tell him his jokes aren't funny. They chose the storyline that doesn't connect with the others on the least likeable character. All the other avengers are really good at something or science gave them powers but Thor is just a heavy handed dueche that has powers because of the cop out that he is a god. There were redeeming factors due to the Sp. Effects and Scarlett Johanson's butt. Expand
  46. Jan 5, 2013
    Got to be the best movie i saw in 2012. Great cast a very simplistic but decent story and some good dialogue. One of the things i like about this film and it gets so right is a GREAT final battle in the last 45 minutes which just looks amazing. alot of theese comic book movie films have theese crap 1-2 minute ones that are just so lame and anticlimactic that it almost makes the movie feelGot to be the best movie i saw in 2012. Great cast a very simplistic but decent story and some good dialogue. One of the things i like about this film and it gets so right is a GREAT final battle in the last 45 minutes which just looks amazing. alot of theese comic book movie films have theese crap 1-2 minute ones that are just so lame and anticlimactic that it almost makes the movie feel like a waste. The one problem is though you have a great team of super heroes fighting one guy names loki and his army of Alien things. would have been so much cooler if it was a team of villians. Oh well for Avengers 2 then hopefully. Other then that don't waste your time seeing this in 3D . This was my first 3D movie i rented for my 3D TV and the 3D just felt tacked on outside of a few moments when it looked cool. Avengers in the end has to be the best Comic book to movie out there so far. Expand
  47. Jan 5, 2013
    The Avengers is shockingly phony, corny and cheesy. The movie is extremely clumsy with too many characters with all their personal backgrounds. The story and movie completely fall apart wth the lack of chemistry between any of the superheros. An action spectacle wth very little to show for.
  48. Jan 3, 2013
    This is one of the most overrated movies I've seen this year. A weak and predictable plot masked by tons of action and great special effects. Limited character development also made it difficult to be invested in any of the characters. A waste of a good cast.
  49. Jan 1, 2013
    Why do you want a heavy-weight storyline when you have The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America etc.. and enough bad guys to beat up! Sit back and enjoy, goes easy on the brains.
  50. Dec 31, 2012
    great fun must watch movie for all those who likes super heroes.Incredible way to accommodate 6 heroes in a single movie although character of Tony and Hulk was overshadowing but thats the way it is..
  51. Dec 31, 2012
    This is a very silly movie that is Swiss-cheese full of holes. If your thing is Marvel comic books, and you really want to see eponymous figures from the various comics come together then... this is for you I guess (unless having heroes pointlessly bickering to create faux dramatic tension gets on your nerves).

Its got some spectacle I suppose. Silly spectacle that ultimately makes no

Its got some spectacle I suppose. Silly spectacle that ultimately makes no sense (flying, invisible aircraft carrier that is vulnerable when flying, typically doesn't bother engaging invisibility, has nuclear missiles but can only launch them... from other aircraft... Hell the entire carrier almost gets taken out by an... exploding arrow... Christ). Get drunk if you are going to try and watch this film - it really, really helps.
  52. Dec 30, 2012
    Like all good superhero movies, its a slow buildup to great action. Unlike bad superhero movies, its incredibly well-acted without being too dark or too whimsical.
  53. Dec 28, 2012
    After dozens of teasers hidden in each of the heroes individual movies The Avengers is finally here, and it doesn't disappoint. It's filled with draw dropping action, and some hilarious moments. Every superhero is excellently fleshed out and work well together, and no hero receives more attention than another. It excellently captures the feel of each individual hero as well as show someAfter dozens of teasers hidden in each of the heroes individual movies The Avengers is finally here, and it doesn't disappoint. It's filled with draw dropping action, and some hilarious moments. Every superhero is excellently fleshed out and work well together, and no hero receives more attention than another. It excellently captures the feel of each individual hero as well as show some new sides of their personalities. The Avengers is everything I wanted it to be, and I don't see how it could have turned out any better. It's one of the best superhero movies of all time. Expand
  54. Dec 25, 2012
    Hawkeye, Black Widow just doesn't fit right in the avengers, the threat which is beyond any well trained human abilities just cannot be mitigated with special bows and guns... don't see what these 2 have done that could not be done with any regular army soldier. I didn't like the ending they made it too easy, a LARGE invading army coming from another dimension with advanced weapons andHawkeye, Black Widow just doesn't fit right in the avengers, the threat which is beyond any well trained human abilities just cannot be mitigated with special bows and guns... don't see what these 2 have done that could not be done with any regular army soldier. I didn't like the ending they made it too easy, a LARGE invading army coming from another dimension with advanced weapons and technology should not be easily beaten, I want the avengers to win ofcourse but it should have been harder for them and the drama could have easily been harder (Loki is just weak for someone with his powers). Still I recommend the movie it is fun! Expand
  55. Dec 25, 2012
    Pedestrian pacing, clichéd dialogue and a generic plot. Yes, it's a super-hero movie; an over-hyped, big-budget, disengage your brain and chew your popcorn series of action sequences littered with painfully two-dimensional cardboard cut-out characters (with exception to Ruffalo's Hulk, arguably the only decent part of the film). One of the trailers preceding the film was advertisingPedestrian pacing, clichéd dialogue and a generic plot. Yes, it's a super-hero movie; an over-hyped, big-budget, disengage your brain and chew your popcorn series of action sequences littered with painfully two-dimensional cardboard cut-out characters (with exception to Ruffalo's Hulk, arguably the only decent part of the film). One of the trailers preceding the film was advertising toys; there's your target audience: children. Expand
  56. Dec 16, 2012
    Now 6 years ago when Iron Man hit the big screens we were promised the Avengers. Now the problem I thought I was going to have with this movie was that there were too many characters to base the whole movie on , but the director Joss Whedon does an excellent job with bringing all these characters together. When it is a scene with Iron Man played by Robert Downey Jr it is all about IronNow 6 years ago when Iron Man hit the big screens we were promised the Avengers. Now the problem I thought I was going to have with this movie was that there were too many characters to base the whole movie on , but the director Joss Whedon does an excellent job with bringing all these characters together. When it is a scene with Iron Man played by Robert Downey Jr it is all about Iron Man. When it is a scene with Captain America played bey Chris Evans it is all about Captain America. The character that surprised me the most was Loki played by Tom Hiddleston. He was a dark villain in Thor and now he is an even darker villain in the Avengers. He is just so bad ass with his chitari army. This movie is 2 hours long and it feels like half an hour because it is so thrilling and intense. Avengers Assemble is MARVELous. Expand
  57. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    Well, it's The Avengers. I shouldn't have to say more. But I will.

I haven't seen the superhero movies leading up to this. I've only seen the Hulk sequel (the Edward Norton one), Iron Man, and Thor. While there were times when I was lost, I could follow this movie's plot. I need to seen Iron Man 2 since it has Nick Fury and Black Widow. LOKI! I'm not one of those crazy obsessive Loki
    Well, it's The Avengers. I shouldn't have to say more. But I will.

LOKI! I'm not one of those crazy obsessive Loki fangirls, but I loved Loki in this movie. That being said, I still found it hilarious when the Hulk picked him up and slammed him around. Funniest part of the movie.

What's good about this movie is that it strikes a good balance between comedy and drama. Joss Whedon knows the Avengers don't need the Dark Knight treatment and wisely did not go that route. But wasn't unbelievably cartoony and silly either. It knew when to be serious and when to make the audience laugh.

The characters were fun and each actor played the role well. Hawkeye didn't get much to do but it it got Jeremy Renner in a tight outfit. Good enough for me! The newest addition to the cast was Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk. He fit the role unbelievably well. Makes sense since Ruffalo has proven time and again that he's a fantastic actor.

There isn't much else for me to say about this. See it if you haven't already.

One more thing: Coulson lives!
  58. Dec 7, 2012
    I found absolutely nothing wrong with this movie, the character backgrounds/back stories may not have been explained, but it was said in the previous movies before this one. THE EPICEST MOVIE EVER (so far) in my opinion, 10(.5)/10
  59. Dec 5, 2012
    I loved this movie! I saw it 3 times in theaters and I'm not ashamed to admit that. The reason I liked this film so much was because it was everything it could and should have been; for a blockbuster, that's a mighty accomplishment...(Full Review Later)...
  60. Dec 4, 2012
    My most honest opinion as a Marvel fan: this movie is an absolute piece of garbage and overrated as hell. It's just as dumb and moronic as Bay's Transformers by only focusing on big budget special effects and random silly jokes. I give it a 2/10 because Mark Ruffalo was the only good thing about this film otherwise it would have been a 0/10.

It's good for little kids but those 3D

It's good for little kids but those 3D animated movies have much more depth than The Avengers. This movie could lower theirs and your IQ.
  61. Nov 30, 2012
    Marvel has always dominated the superhero movie genre, and with its giant marketing buildup to this film, it's easy to see how this could have become one of cinema's tragic flops. But oh no. "The Avengers" is THE superhero movie of all superhero movies. It's got fantastic, epic action, breathtaking visual effects, and a very strongly-written story packed with thrills and truly hilariousMarvel has always dominated the superhero movie genre, and with its giant marketing buildup to this film, it's easy to see how this could have become one of cinema's tragic flops. But oh no. "The Avengers" is THE superhero movie of all superhero movies. It's got fantastic, epic action, breathtaking visual effects, and a very strongly-written story packed with thrills and truly hilarious moments. Each character gets their moments in the sun, each gets their own story arc, we see them fight each other and with each other, and ultimately it all comes together for a completely satisfying 5-star experience that really raises the bar for all superhero flicks to come. Expand
  62. Nov 28, 2012
    A glowing example of what action movies should be like - a perfect blend of intelligence and thrills.
  63. Nov 24, 2012
    The Avengers is first culmination of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and makes history as it is the first big screen film that brings together Marvel's cinematic heros and is a direct sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor. Plot: Loki (Tom Hiddleston) accquires the mysterious power of the Tesseract which is capable of possessing the humanThe Avengers is first culmination of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and makes history as it is the first big screen film that brings together Marvel's cinematic heros and is a direct sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor. Plot: Loki (Tom Hiddleston) accquires the mysterious power of the Tesseract which is capable of possessing the human heart and almost anything else. Nick Fury, director of Shield (Samuel Jackson) brings together The Avengers for the first time in an attempt to prevent Loki from terrorizing Earth. Captain America: Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) has just been thawed out after being frozen for 67 years and has not aged but has forever lost the love of his life through time and is dedicated to the protection of his country, he plays the mature Captain of The Avengers and is the voice of reason. Iron Man: Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) is a billionaire and owner of Stark Industries. After creating his new arc reactor for his heart, he has expanded its size and created Stark Tower which is a prototype to test off his most cost effiecient source of energy. He plays the comedy relief and one of the most intelligent of The Avengers. The Incredible Hulk: Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) had gone back into hiding after he aided the US army in defeating the Abomination. When he is forced to become a Shield scientist, he must learn to control his anger in order to not become a hazard. He plays the hot head, and one of the most intelligent of The Avengers. Thor(Chris Hemsworth): After destroying the rainbow bridge connecting the realm of Earth to Asgard, Odin casts dark magic in order to send Thor back to Earth in order to persuade Loki that although he will never be King or the true Odinson, he will always be part of the family. He plays the most serious Avenger for Loki is the main reason he was sent back to Earth, and the power Loki wields threatens the safety of the nine realms which is his responsibility as King of Asgard. Black Widow: Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson) is an agent of Shield who is trained to be a master of disguise and flexible combat. She plays the sexy, yet troubled Avenger. Hawkeye: Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) is an agent of Shield who is trained to have perfect accuracy with his bow and arrow. Early on however, Loki possess him which makes him a part of his army. He plays the Avenger gone bad. My opinion: This is movie history in one of its finest forms. It is a must see even if you haven't seen the tie in movies which I would definintly reccomend before watching this masterpiece. Expand
  64. Nov 13, 2012
    There are a lot of people giving this movie a perfect ten out of ten. This is understandable, but only if you are going into it thinking its a family movie. The Avengers is relatively tame, contains cheap, slapstick humor (take the Captain America trading cards for example), and the plot is extremely simple and easy to follow. Though these detract from the movie in my personal opinion,There are a lot of people giving this movie a perfect ten out of ten. This is understandable, but only if you are going into it thinking its a family movie. The Avengers is relatively tame, contains cheap, slapstick humor (take the Captain America trading cards for example), and the plot is extremely simple and easy to follow. Though these detract from the movie in my personal opinion, there are some upsides if you are like me and prefer a more complex action movie. The special effects are amazing, the cast is, for the most part, star studded, and if you have invested time in the other movies leading up to The Avengers there are references that reward the viewer. That being said, if you are either going as a family, or a fan of the other movie, you will enjoy The Avengers. However, if you were not interested in the past movies leading up to The Avengers and are looking for a complex, non-linear plot, than this may not be the movie for you. Expand
  65. Nov 13, 2012
    HULK SMASH!

The beginning of the film is quite slow but the 2nd half is pure action. For some reason i didnt expect much from this film and boy was i surprised by the end of it. Excellent film and i cant wait for part 2. Before watching this film you have to see all the marvel films from iron man 1 onwards and all the little easter eggs/cameos in them just to enjoy this film more!
  66. Nov 9, 2012
    Every single thing about this movie is beautiful. I have actually lost count of how many times I have seen it, and it really is that rewatchable. The acting is awesome, the writing is HILARIOUS, and the action scenes are, for lack of a better word, epic. That said, this is not a movie for those who love "serious" film. It's a lighthearted action-y superhero movie. If you go into itEvery single thing about this movie is beautiful. I have actually lost count of how many times I have seen it, and it really is that rewatchable. The acting is awesome, the writing is HILARIOUS, and the action scenes are, for lack of a better word, epic. That said, this is not a movie for those who love "serious" film. It's a lighthearted action-y superhero movie. If you go into it expecting Shakespeare, you're obviously going to come out disappointed. Things blow up. Scarlett Johansson is in a catsuit. Tony snarks. ...it's really just perfect. Expand
  67. Nov 9, 2012
    I finally saw Avengers the other night. I was expecting so much more from Joss Whedon. Where were the deep conflicted characters and the witty dialogue that I'm used to from Firefly and Buffy? This movie was too much like Transformers. It was way too heavy on action and special effects, with little to no character development. Also, I just can't get past how cheesy the costumes were,I finally saw Avengers the other night. I was expecting so much more from Joss Whedon. Where were the deep conflicted characters and the witty dialogue that I'm used to from Firefly and Buffy? This movie was too much like Transformers. It was way too heavy on action and special effects, with little to no character development. Also, I just can't get past how cheesy the costumes were, especially the villain's. I mean what was with those ridiculous horns?? I fell asleep about 6 times during the movie and kept waking myself up because I was waiting for it to get good. It just never happened. With all the amazing writers out there struggling for work why are we having to put up with this crap on the silver screen? Expand
  68. Nov 7, 2012
    I was exhausted at the end of this movie. The Avengers is a nonstop high speed roller coaster ride. I must admit I was never a fan of the comic book which always kind of read like the comics version of the Allstar game and their are some cheesy moments like Iron Mans AC-DC theme music (we get it already). Whedon somehow turns the swashbuckling superhero movie into a brutal grittyI was exhausted at the end of this movie. The Avengers is a nonstop high speed roller coaster ride. I must admit I was never a fan of the comic book which always kind of read like the comics version of the Allstar game and their are some cheesy moments like Iron Mans AC-DC theme music (we get it already). Whedon somehow turns the swashbuckling superhero movie into a brutal gritty slugfest. At the end you feel as beat up as the combatants. Well done. Expand
  69. Nov 5, 2012
    Whedon's Avengers is very entertaining. The dialogue is snappy when present, and the visual effects are great, but in the end, sensation trumps feeling.
  70. Oct 14, 2012
    Less than impressed with this film given its stellar reviews upon release. It is one of those not so rare cases of style over substance, the style being fight scenes and blowing stuff up before coming to an inevitable conclusion of saving the world together and going their separate ways. The attempts at comedy are laboured and obviously, like the film, directed at a popcorn chompingLess than impressed with this film given its stellar reviews upon release. It is one of those not so rare cases of style over substance, the style being fight scenes and blowing stuff up before coming to an inevitable conclusion of saving the world together and going their separate ways. The attempts at comedy are laboured and obviously, like the film, directed at a popcorn chomping audience where films are to be enjoyed with minds switched off. The emotional climaxes in the film also seemed contrived and insincere, as is the case with many big budget films lacking in story and human connection. Firstly are we really meant to care about agent coulson dying merely because we are told 20 minutes before he died he ideolized captain america? And secondly what is the point in pretending to kill off iron man when all of the audience has seen that moment in the trailer a million times when the hulk catches iron man out of the sky and destroys a building in the process? Obviously they were not going to sacrifice a main character in this kind of a film when the secondary ones will suffice for audience emotional interaction. Joss Whedon, a genius, really? Expand
  71. Oct 14, 2012
    I really tried to love this film but when the plot holes are beyond obvious it is hard and unexplained actions were even worse. Half of S.H.I.E.L.D didn't even need to be there. It didn't stop it being enjoyable. Robert Downey Jr. was the highlight of this film. Still worth watching.
  72. Oct 8, 2012
    A perfectly average superhero movie...

A perfectly average superhero movie...

I didn't see this for a while and some friends hyped it up as the best thing ever. I was pretty disappointed to begin with, because at the start there are some problems with the main characters. With having so many it was bound to happen... but still, it just doesn't feel right and I can't put my finger on it. Having said that, later on it gets better... much better. The characters find their niches and they come to life. I was just hoping they'd be a bit more interesting beforehand. They contrast nicely and work better than in their own films at times. There are some great action sequences and some memorable moments and it's all very fun. It's just not very complicated at all. I was expecting more a X-Men First Class or Watchmen vibe to it. (I know that was a silly idea now)

The problem is that you'd expect a film like this to blow you away and really immerse you, but honestly I turned it off halfway through and came back to it. Where as with First Class I watched it start to finish and then went back to some scenes again because it was soooo bad-ass. It takes a while to get going and then never really goes anywhere *that* interesting once it does. This is probably because the whole point of the film was to bring the avengers together and set them up for a sequel. If that's it then fair play, good film, point made. But First Class did that AND gave the guys something pretty interesting to do and also make some bold claims about sociology. ( I do love and highly recommend that film)

All in all it's alright. If you are going to see it, you've probably seen it by now. If not, catch it on Sky Movies in a few months or something when you're bored because it's not that special. On the other hand if you fancy a very good superhero-group origin film, with some top acting, interesting characters and a bit more depth... watch X-Men First Class.
  73. Oct 5, 2012
    Joss Whedon's widely influenced summer spectacular offers 130 minutes of popcorn-friendly fun, yet fails to deliver anything more than run-of-the-mill escapist entertainment. Tom Hiddleston is superb as Shakespearian villain Loki and Mark Ruffallo gives The Hulk some heart, yet the film's character development is minimal, its plot slow and formulaic, and its screenplay drizzled in gooeyJoss Whedon's widely influenced summer spectacular offers 130 minutes of popcorn-friendly fun, yet fails to deliver anything more than run-of-the-mill escapist entertainment. Tom Hiddleston is superb as Shakespearian villain Loki and Mark Ruffallo gives The Hulk some heart, yet the film's character development is minimal, its plot slow and formulaic, and its screenplay drizzled in gooey one-liners and excessive fanboy cream. Things pick up a little during the final act, but even a swooping, snarling Manhattan sky-battle isn't enough to save The Avengers from feeling bloated and underwhelming. Expand
  74. Oct 4, 2012
    I have no idea why this has been panned so much by the Critics on this site. It's probably one of the best Superhero movies to date. Funny, all action with some brilliant performances by the cast, I can't help wondering why the hell this only scored 69. Still, at least the real film buffs understand (i.e those that do user reviews). I can't help thinking that so many critics only writeI have no idea why this has been panned so much by the Critics on this site. It's probably one of the best Superhero movies to date. Funny, all action with some brilliant performances by the cast, I can't help wondering why the hell this only scored 69. Still, at least the real film buffs understand (i.e those that do user reviews). I can't help thinking that so many critics only write reviews in a bid to draw attention to themselves instead of actually giving honest assessments of films and games.

Anyway, ignore the Critic Score and just get this movie. It's not too serious and it's highly enjoyable!
  75. Oct 3, 2012
    This is the way 3D should be displayed on every 3D TV with the proper Aspect Ratio of 1.78:1 which will fill the whole screen without the horrible "black bars". That alone makes this release one of the best ones on 3D.

The Aspect Ratio of: 1.78:1 takes this movie in 3D to a whole new level without the annoying "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen. Usually I don't mind those

Usually I don't mind those "black bars" on 2D viewing, maybe because we are all used to it by now, plus it doesn't take anything away...BUT ON 3D viewing this is the complete opposite. WHY SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT THIS ASPECT RATIO?:
    For those of us who already hated the so called "black bars" on top and bottom of the screen while watching a regular movie, this is really bad for 3D Home viewers, as this WILL TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT MAKES 3D WORTH THE PURCHASE TO BEGIN WITH, minimizing the effect by a big percentage, unless you have a 80" 3D TV which I'm pretty such most of us don't have.

SO WHAT'S THE "APPROPRIATE" ASPECT RATIO THAT SHOULD BE IN 3D HOME MOVIES?
    Most 3D movies right now are NOT being released with the desirable Aspect Ratio that will fill the whole screen giving you the whole 3D effect BUT movies like Wrath Of The Titans, and the soon to be released AVATAR 3D, are some of the very few that could display with an average Aspect Ratio of: 1.78:1 WHICH WILL take advantage of your New 3D TV as you expected to display from day one.

With that said, This movie fortunately does support that type of Aspect Ratio which is completely worth spending the extra few dollars on the 3D Bluray version. Even with an enormous TV set you wouldn't want to watch a 3D movie with the black bars because...the bigger the TV, the bigger the "black bars" .

ABOUT THE MOVIE:
    I did LOVE this movie when I went to see in IMAX 3D, I think it had a good use of the technology. STORY: This is certainly the BEST comic to film translation, and yes, I did like Batman the Dark Knight Rises, but not as much as this one. SPECIAL EFFECTS: The special effects although not groundbreaking they were certainly eye-candy, and what really makes it stand out from the pack is how well the director and his team were able to put everything together and make it look Amazing all around...AND EVEN BETTER IN BLURAY 3D AND ITS AMAZING 1.77:1 ASPECT RATIO TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE ENTIRE SCREEN.

If you have a 3D TV and a 3D BluRay player, this movie will certainly make you proud of that investment...I know it did for me.
  76. Sep 30, 2012
    Very overrated movie. The story was not as good as other super hero movies like batman but the action kept it alive. Worth seeing but don't expect it to blow your mind.
  77. Sep 30, 2012
    The Avengers is a fun summer blockbuster, as it should be. It's a movie that fulfills its purpose, it doesn't tries to be dark, like many films these days, its just a flick that blends comedy and action, and The Avengers does that perfectly.
  78. Sep 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. I had heard a lot about this movie. Heard it was possibly the best film of all time from some people. There's certainly been plenty of noise about The Avengers - from Marvel aficionados to old fashioned action movie fans. Fun, fast-paced, boundary-breaking, smart, genre-redefining...? Hm.

I'll grant some of that. It IS fast, it IS visually impressive, and it does have passable humour, but ultimately it's a vacuous piece. It is stuffed at the beginning with superfluous padding to provide a reason to draw together hitherto mutually exclusive superheroes. This distracts from the overal theme of the movie of mindless action. Mindless? Let's have a villain want to rule a world he clearly has no interest in through the assistance of an ally (of dubious loyalty) that also has no interest in the Earth but rather in the "Doomsday Device". Lol, jk; the aliens actually want to blow up New York taxis, and never bother ever attempting to obtain, protect or use the Doomsday Device in any way other way other than as an excuse for their taxi destruction antics. But hey; any excuse for cool explosions man! Want a aircraft carrier. Sure. Hell let's make it fly. So it's not a ship but an aircraft... carrying aircraft. Oh, and let's have it invisible. Actually... perhaps scratch the invisibility. Continuity error? Who'll notice! Sure, the aircraft command centre is only an excuse to have a localised firefight! For this purpose we will also have a high-security prison cell, nuclear research facility, weapons R&D and an army barracks on board. Sure why else would you have the supervillan, the Hulk, and the enemy's most powerful weapon all located at the centre of your command HQ? However, luckily for the good guys Bruce Banner for no reason presented on screen manages to work out how to control his Hulk form for the duration of the film. Continuity error? Ah, hell, we want to see the Hulk smashing bad guys, right?

Don't get me wrong; the fight sequences are cool, even though I would have preferred a universe where the US military existed in some shape or form (apparently the flying aircraft carriers also holds the entire stockpile of US nukes as well). The villains always seem outclassed; having only one named character who is no match even for his (adoptive) brother alone, let alone a whole posse of superheroes. Robert Downey Jr certainly buoys up the mood of the film, and some neat quips provide some laughs, but the Avengers is an entirely forgettable, if inoffensive, lights and noise affair. Worth a casual watch, particularly if drunk and with friends.
  79. Sep 30, 2012
    I grew up reading Marvel comic books and I love the way they are being brought back to life. We need heroes in the times we have today. We do have heroes they are the men and women of The United States Armed Forces. Thank you...
    Demmi Moore said it best in one of her early films. ''They Are The Ones That Stand on The Wall to Make sure We Are Safe''.
  80. Sep 29, 2012
    A great movie, which knows what it is and what it wants to accomplish. Though the plot was pretty simple and very straight forward (aliens comes in, humans kick their asses) but the thing that made it work is that the plot was very close to the comic books (which exactly what this movie achieved) and the fact that characters were polished and three dimensional.
    The visuals and the art
    The visuals and the art direction was very enjoyable and an amazing food for imagination. Action was breath taking and at parts very inventive. The antagonist of the film Loki was intimidating and interesting.
    Overall, great story, great script, great characters, great visuals and action. This movie achieved almost everything it wanted - a good comic book movie about the Avengers. Check it out
  81. Sep 24, 2012
    This was a very nice movie for one and only reason. All those heroes from the action movies are all in one It's really to much to handle! The plot had some twists too although it was nothing we hadn't seen before. I enjoyed some humorous scenes too and also the conflict of the different characters in the group like iron man and captain america. To sum up this movie is a very entertainingThis was a very nice movie for one and only reason. All those heroes from the action movies are all in one It's really to much to handle! The plot had some twists too although it was nothing we hadn't seen before. I enjoyed some humorous scenes too and also the conflict of the different characters in the group like iron man and captain america. To sum up this movie is a very entertaining superhero movie, one of the best out there although it doesn't have that something to trully make it legendary! Expand
  82. Sep 20, 2012
    Brilliant mix of story, humour and action. Superheros the way they should be for all the family. Not as dark and nasty as recent batman movies. Not as soap opera as spiderman.
  83. Sep 17, 2012
    Avengers is the BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER!
  84. Sep 12, 2012
    I usually give points for trying. I am not sure who tried to make this movie good, except critics and varied audiences. Extremely jerky plotline, at times it seems like I am watching a commercial for seven upcoming movies. In no way do any of the cast, save for Downey, represent what I would call acting. Johanssen is awkward to look at, seemingly too chubby to look viable as any sort ofI usually give points for trying. I am not sure who tried to make this movie good, except critics and varied audiences. Extremely jerky plotline, at times it seems like I am watching a commercial for seven upcoming movies. In no way do any of the cast, save for Downey, represent what I would call acting. Johanssen is awkward to look at, seemingly too chubby to look viable as any sort of action actress, and again tends to float in and out of her lines. Hemsworth/Thor gives a good turn, yet he just isn't given much to work with. It is like watching a bad soap opera for teenage boys. Too silly and too cheesy to sit longer than a half hour through. I wanted to like this, set aside time and can pretty much say it falls flat. Expand
  85. Sep 11, 2012
    Ok, the start was really slow and boring for me, some part were good, the acting was good, but it's just the actors seemed to made me board in this film but i did like them when they were in there own movies, most of the movie is on a ship, they is not much set changes in this film, the actor who plays the hulk was replaced by a bad actor. just this movie was very bad, i watched it like 10Ok, the start was really slow and boring for me, some part were good, the acting was good, but it's just the actors seemed to made me board in this film but i did like them when they were in there own movies, most of the movie is on a ship, they is not much set changes in this film, the actor who plays the hulk was replaced by a bad actor. just this movie was very bad, i watched it like 10 times and as much as I've tried to like it i just don't like it Expand
  86. Sep 7, 2012
    Excellent film, perfect in every way for me. It is definitely as cool as you think it's going to be seeing as Joss Whedon has an obvious love for all of these characters and a understanding of what each of them special. It's a long old movie too, around 2.30 hours which gives you plenty of story but also plenty of action. The action is very special too, amazing effects and an inventiveExcellent film, perfect in every way for me. It is definitely as cool as you think it's going to be seeing as Joss Whedon has an obvious love for all of these characters and a understanding of what each of them special. It's a long old movie too, around 2.30 hours which gives you plenty of story but also plenty of action. The action is very special too, amazing effects and an inventive way of displaying the action. The characters are fleshed out as much as they need to be, but the main focus here is action action action, lovely. Whedon's probably the best thing about Hollywood at the moment. Expand
  87. Sep 1, 2012
    Joss Whedon creates a fun blockbuster with a huge ensemble cast that most directors would screw up. Not a great film but it sure is fun for it's 2 and a half hour running time.
  88. Sep 1, 2012
    An incredible movie.The characters are Iron Man,Hulk,Thor,Captain America,Black Widow and Nick Fury.Featuring Loki.Incredible visual effects.Good movie.I liked the journey to Germany.
  89. Aug 30, 2012
    Very good movie.
    Cons: The flying fortress should be what it's name says, a FORTRESS which is impregnable!!! That said, it did not shoot a single round in a whole movie AND they let a rouge aircraft approach it (radar anyone, code 7 alert?), shoot at it and blow it's engine!!!
  90. Aug 28, 2012
    The intro is a little rough but the rest of the movie goes rather smoothly and it ends up a pretty good film and one that is definently worth watching. I enjoyed it.
  91. Aug 28, 2012
    The Avengers: A messy film that does little to appeal to the non pre-existing comic fans. Struggles to fit a coherent narrative between the action scenes.

While action is pretty, The Avengers never seems to quite know what to do with so many main characters. Making huge assumptions that the viewer already knows each character's arc, they bypass any arc entirely and just have them fighting a lot.

Even Transformers 3, a movie I found very messy and tough to watch, manages to have a pretty coherent and linear story, that just tries to do a few things too many. But The Avengers seems to decide to leave behind linearity and a character arcs, and just let chaos happen.

The best Marvel film for me is still Iron Man, as it plays with strong character arcs, a progressive and interesting plot, with a sense of 'realistic' special effects and the 'super hero' notion is dialled down a bit.

If you want super hero movies with a plot, try Batman Begins, The Watchmen Director's Cut, and to a more minimal extent Superman 2: Donner Cut.
  92. D__
    Aug 27, 2012
    Very good action sequences and had more character development than the previous installments...
    However of all the recent, undeserved films getting a 2 pt. treatment this feels like one that definitely deserved it and would have been very beneficial.
    I felt as if they started to develop a plot - about the team being manipulated - then left it.
    Maybe in the sequel.
  93. Aug 24, 2012
    It IS a good movie if you're a Marvel fan, but otherwise there's not much to it. The "story" is as simple as it gets and the action scenes are so big and so frequent that it fails to impress after a while. It's all about explosions and one-liners and superheroes beating up bad guys, and if that's enough for you... well, great. For me it isn't.
  94. Aug 23, 2012
    The only time I review movies on this site is when I see a spectacular movie. But this one just blew me away. Previously only watched Iron Man and Hulk I didn't know what else to expect apart from a mechanical suit and an angry gamma radiated monster. With the addition of 4 other superb characters it turned Avengers into a superb showpiece. The directing was appropriate for the given taskThe only time I review movies on this site is when I see a spectacular movie. But this one just blew me away. Previously only watched Iron Man and Hulk I didn't know what else to expect apart from a mechanical suit and an angry gamma radiated monster. With the addition of 4 other superb characters it turned Avengers into a superb showpiece. The directing was appropriate for the given task and gave audience the feeling that you're part of this mission to save the world. Special effects and action makes this ANOTHER one of those superhero movies, but is it really worth the hype. It certainly is and the box office proves it too. Expand
  95. Aug 22, 2012
    Style, substance, and a f**k ton of ass-slamming action, the Avengers delivers. If you don't like superhero movies, or have been let down by previous marvel/dc efforts, then you may be skeptical or biased, but the talents of Whedon and co. were truly harnessed to produce a mass amorphus of brilliance. Being a skeptic myself, and listening to mixed reviews, it look me a long time to comeStyle, substance, and a f**k ton of ass-slamming action, the Avengers delivers. If you don't like superhero movies, or have been let down by previous marvel/dc efforts, then you may be skeptical or biased, but the talents of Whedon and co. were truly harnessed to produce a mass amorphus of brilliance. Being a skeptic myself, and listening to mixed reviews, it look me a long time to come around and give this a go, but this film surpassed my low expectations and didn't just raise the bar for action, style, comedic intercession and witty screenplay, it blasted the aforementioned into the fourth dimension!! Expand
  96. Aug 21, 2012
    This movie was amazing, anyone giving it less than a 5 is completely tasteless. This was exactly what it was supposed to be. A funny, action packed, special effect, comic book, nerdgasm. The story line was just enough to keep the storyline boys interested, it makes great use of the previous story lines well. It makes sure to stay true to the root of all the heros.
  97. Aug 19, 2012
    I really liked The Avengers, the comedy mixed with the action made it a great movie, however I didn't like how Black Widow was part of it, she just stood there in that circle with her little skimpy outfit and little pistol while you see the rest of the avengers standing there looking powerful, as if she was just there for show. I'd definitely pay to watch The Hulk smash Loki into theI really liked The Avengers, the comedy mixed with the action made it a great movie, however I didn't like how Black Widow was part of it, she just stood there in that circle with her little skimpy outfit and little pistol while you see the rest of the avengers standing there looking powerful, as if she was just there for show. I'd definitely pay to watch The Hulk smash Loki into the ground multiple times again though. Expand
  98. Aug 19, 2012
    THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME! Great story, action, drama, I was engrossed from the beginning to the end! It had some great comedy in it and RDJ was in pure form. I'm glad I paid to see this one!
  99. Aug 17, 2012
    The best superhero movie ever made! The acting is top notch and the story is fantastic. Joss Whedon did an excellent job. It's hard to express how completely awesome this movie is.

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.