7.9

1. Nov 17, 2014
    The Avengers and the wrest of the Marvel cinematic universe could prove to be the Star Wars of it's generation. Joss Whedon clearly has a love and understanding of these characters and the source material. He collaborates all of these stars to perfection and balances their screen time effortlessly. His overall direction is solid and all of the set pieces are thoroughly enjoyable. The final act in particular is unbelievable and incredibly crowd pleasing. The whole cast is strong but Robert Downey Jr. is the standout as Iron Man. Tom Hiddleston is as equally superb as villain Loki, Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow & Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury have much more involvement and most surprisingly Mark Ruffalo is a welcome recasting as the Hulk. Chris Evans & Chris Hemsworth are both strong also and have grown into their characters Captain America & Thor respectively. However my only minor criticism is Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye. Personally I didn't like the way his character was developed throughout the film until the final act. And I hope his character has the chance to shine in future releases. But otherwise as a lifelong fan of these characters I was both pleasantly surprised and incredibly satisfied. The Avengers caters for everybody, it's action packed, full of humour and it will please fan boys and newcomers alike. This is without a doubt Marvel's best film to date and it epitomises the success of the Phase 1 films. And even more excitingly it kick starts Phase 2 perfectly. Expand
  2. Nov 16, 2014
    A very fun movie, I absolutely recommend it. perfect special effects and a really well meda plot.
    one of the best superhero movies there are. hope the next one doesnt disappoint
  3. Nov 16, 2014
    Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Marvel's The Avengers (2012)

So now it's time for The Avengers. But before we get to that, I got a few things to say. Ever since the beginning of this MCU "marathon", I've been planning to see other franchises. As I am a super-hero fanatic, I marked in my agenda and calendar franchises such as: X-Men, Spider-Man and Batman. Every movie of that
    franchise is going to be seen by me every Saturday, and when I'm not seeing those movies in Saturday, I'm going to see films that were released in 2014 that I haven't seen it. Which is the case here. I rewatched The Avengers yesterday (as I'm writing this on 9th November of 2014) and next Saturday, I'm going to see the video game adaption "Need for Speed". And then in the next Saturday after that, it's the Phase 2 of MCU. All these things I'm organizing is merely a way to be entertained when I have nothing else to do and it's going to last until next October of 2015. After seeing a movie, I'm going to write a review and post it on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic as "Diogo Mendes". If you're seeing this right now, you'll know what I am talking about. Now that I've cleared up that, it's time to talk about the best Marvel movie to date. "The Avengers", my friends, is one of the best Marvel outputs since Spider-Man 2. It not only raises the bar for Marvel at their films, but it also makes their heroes look even cooler than they already are. It's excting, it's funny, it's packed with action and heart and the movie clearly understands that super-heroes have a human side.

S.H.I.E.L.D. has located the mysterious Tesseract device and the Army's super soldier Captain America. The Tesseract is actually a gateway to an entirely new world called Asgard. A mysterious being known as Loki arrives on earth and immediately assumes that he can rule all human beings. But that irks S.H.I.E.L.D. directory Nick Fury the wrong way. As Loki escapes with the Tesseract, Nick Fury believes this is an act of war against Earth. His only hope is to assemble an actual team of super heroes. Dr. Bruce Banner, who turns into an enormous green rage monster known as the Hulk. Tony Stark and his venerable Iron Man armor. Captain America, the Stark Enterprises created super soldier. Thor, the god of thunder, protector of Earth and his home planet of Asgard, and Loki's brother. Master assassins Hawkeye and Natasha Romanoff. Together they will become a team to take on an attack that will call them to become the greatest of all time.

Ok, let's be honest right here. We all know that there wasn't any doubt that this movie would succeed. Not because it has Joss Whedon as the director and writer, but because having iconic, interesting super-heroes teaming up to defeat a larger threat is something we haven't seen it before, and Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, all these characters teaming up is really fun to see. The way that the movie focuses on these MARVELOUS characters is just extraordinary, and the character development... holy sh*t, the character development. The movie offers so much information about these super-heroes without feeling like an exposition. And the action... oh my god. I need to tell you that there's one part where the camera moves onto each Avenger fighting with the Chitauri, in ONE SINGLE SHOT. I'm not even kidding, if you see the movie, you'll be astonished. The final battle... is amazing. Don't get me wrong, the other elements of the movie are so great, really, really great, but the final battle... my god. 15 minutes of firefights, punches, emotion and nerdgasm. It doesn't reach the level of awesomeness of the train sequence in "Spider-Man 2" but this scene is so goddamn spectacular. The visual effects and the colors are startling. The one character that was used full CGI was, of course, The Hulk. Remember when I said that the Hulk from the 2008's film looked kind of cartoonish? Well, in this movie, he looks just what he should look like. And this classic character kicks so much ass in this movie, breaks everything in his sight. But you also can see that there's a heart in the character.

The characters are fully fleshed out and intriguing. Hell, even the Galaga guy is awesome, AND he's not even a character! Every character share their spotlight, delivering fun dialogue, essential information about their past. The villain is not as powerful as The Joker in "The Dark Knight", but Loki is so manipulative. You don't really know what's going on his head. And Thanos... oh my god. I'll admit. I didn't know anything about the character, I'm not a comic book kind of guy, but I enjoy reading some of them, especially when it's Spider-Man or Batman related. Thanos was a major character in The Infinity Gauntlet storyline back in the 90's. He was menacing and he was always grinning. I heard that they're following those series, but I'm wondering how they are going to follow those stories. Some of the characters belong to different studios. Very complicated. But getting back to Thanos, he's only in a mid-credits scene, so don't expect too much of him in this movie.

So I talked about the story, the big action set-pieces and the interesting characters, but something is missing... oh yeah, the cast! Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo, Nick Fury and all the others are so talented. Maybe that's why the characters work. It's because the well-chosen cast seems to have an understanding of what the characters are. Tony Stark is pretty much what we've got in both Iron Man films: Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. Steve Rogers is the lonely super-soldier, Bruce Banner is the angry man in his fight against his "disease" and Thor is the mighty god of Asgard, arrogant and stupid. All of them seem to understand their characters, that's why this movie is so likable. Not only the script offers a look at his heroes' humanity, but it also offers proper development. The soundtrack is also very exciting. And when I mean exciting... I really mean exciting. So when your movie has everything that you want, it instantly becomes your favorite movie, and although "Marvel's The Avengers" is definitely not the best movie ever made, it is the best super-hero movie to date. Why? Because it's a classic very well done! Even if the movie didn't have the best script ever, it would still be very good. Why? Because the whole concept works! This concept about heroes teaming up WORKS! And I am not even a fanboy.

Final Score to The Avengers: A solid 10/10. Literally, everything works here. The script is sharp, the action is pretty much top-notch, the characters are captivating and witty, the soundtrack is electrifying, the production values are high and the universe's atmosphere is becoming increasingly higher with Marvel now introducing new characters. You don't need awesome characters like Spider-Man or Wolverine to prove that this is the best Marvel movie to date. Marvel is on the roll and this nearly masterpiece proves that. Please, if you haven't seen this movie, go see it. I recommend it for every age. I also would like to point out that this movie clearly affected DC Comics in a big and dramatic way. In such way that they are rushing their famous characters and throwing years of mythology away. Now they're making a Batman Vs Superman movie to attract the audience and generate more and more money to their cash cow. I'm still going to see, and despite knowing that Chris Terrio is writing the story, I know I'm going to be disappointed. Unfortunately. Next review: Need for Speed (2014)
  4. Nov 12, 2014
    The best superhero movie made to date. Marvel did an amazing job bringing it all together from the writing, directing, casting, acting, action, and special effects. Robert Downey, Jr. was BORN to play Ironman/Tony Stark, Hemsworth is a great Thor, Scarlett is the perfect Black Widow, and Ruffalo might be the best Banner to date. Not a "thinking man's" movie, but a TON of fun to just sit back and watch. Very well done. Expand
  5. Sep 8, 2014
    This is the best superhero movie ever made. Joss Wheadon did a nearly flawless job. The character and story development is superb. It has huge impacts for all characters. There are rarely movies like this with no weak scenes. Bonus points for the villain. Watching Loki is just delicious. He enjoys being the evil guy.
  6. Aug 24, 2014
    I've seen this movie four time by now, so I think it is time for some kind of review. (One of said viewings was in 3D, my first ever, and I must say I much more prefer the old-fashioned 2D version since 3D made the action scenes - especially the Hulk - appear very blurry and threatened to give me a bit of a headache.

As a fan of the previous Marvel movies, the last of which I checked
    out in order to enjoy the Avengers experience to the fullest (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America), I appreciated the finer points of story telling and jokes that took a lot from the other parts in the series. There were plenty of references, I think, and I cannot imagine how well some of the jokes land or character chemistries work without prior knowledge of what they're based on.

I haven't read the comics (although I fully intend to get my hands on them somehow), so I cannot say how "accurate" this was (or any of the previous films), but all I can say is that the cast chosen to play this unruly team of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is fantastic. I'm a Tony Stark fangirl, no denying it, but damn! the others really don't make me yawn with boredom and wait for Robert Downey Jr.'s next appearance on screen: they stand very well on their own. Period.

And Mark Ruffalo IS the Hulk. Period on that too. Watching him twist his hands and smile and try to back away into the shadows is adorable and in a way breath-taking in its own way, because we all know what's lurking inside him, and it's almost a shame when he turns into a green rage monster. Almost...

Perhaps the best feature to the movie is indeed the strife between the heroes, who are not compatible in the slightest, but as heroes tend to, they work together pretty well to avert a crisis when they face one together. Still, the classic fights between team-mates almost beat seeing them destroy a few (hundred) enemies.

The camera work, set design, lighting and colors are all perfect. They create a world, a very real one, and give it its own signature. The music, too, when you notice it, melts perfectly to the background, other than in those moments when it rises higher, giving the scene more depth, more kick.

Tom Hiddleston as Loki is, for a lack of a better word, a bit disturbed, but executes his part as a villain pretty well. He's determined, and he is one step ahead of the team the whole time, although the petulant child is peeking out from between his teeth every now and then, waiting to be allowed to throw a temper tantrum. And it works.

The story progresses nicely, weaving the heroes together (the only small minus is Thor's rather sudden appearance, and although we can see where it's coming from, and dragging it out may have not worked very well, it still seems like a shortcut).

There's plenty of humor, for which I love Joss Whedon; this reminds me a lot of his movie "Serenity", with its pace and light-heartedness, but total seriousness as well. It's a fine balance, and it absolutely works.

All in all... this is fast rising to be one of those movies I wouldn't mind seeing several times a year, or perhaps a month, just to keep the smiles and laughs coming.
  7. Aug 23, 2014
    The Avengers is witty, intense and very entertaining, I loved every second of it, and every character of it stroke my heart and I was into their situation. I regret not seeing this in theaters.
  8. Aug 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Avengers did exactly what it supposed to.. lay down the foundation of what was the Avengers to movie audiences everywhere. We have chemistry from all our beloved superheroes, a charismatic villain and of course great action and humour.

Sure the story was average and cliched, and I can understand if people thought this was overrated/overhyped (especially since I was one of the person who used to bleat that, and probably still will depending on the context) but it's main strength was seeing the superheroes interract and nothing felt out of a character. When we see characters such as Captain America and Iron Man argue, it truly shows how different the superheroes are from each other and why such strong personalities conflict. They both come from different eras.

We see Captain America perform as leader in the climax well and Loki's manipulation. Black Widow and Nick Fury having more of a central role was done well, and you truly felt like tit was an Avengers Movie.

Joss Whedon did a superb job entangling these superheroes together and I cannot wait for the sequel.
  9. Aug 3, 2014
    Probably the most fun you will ever have watching a film, The Avengers is one on the list along with The Dark Knight as one of the best superhero movies out there. The film's characters are absolutely great, the action is amazing, and the film has enough humor to have you laugh more than a few times. The only downside is that the story isn't too much and isn't very memorable. Besides that, the films grabs your favorite superheroes to make one of the best action movies you will ever see. Expand
  10. Aug 2, 2014
    This movie is the best there is :) i'm so impressed how josh did this. my favorite so far. Go and watch it, even if your not a fan of marvels movies. i think i'm going to see it again now ;) take care
  11. Jul 29, 2014
    Hmmm somebody forgot to inform the US Army that New York was under air attack!
    For a movie made in 2012, US Air Fighters should have been included c'mon ;)
    But great movie overall and funny!
  12. Jul 8, 2014
    הסרט הכי יפה של במארוול יוניברס עד כה, סרט ממש מהנה ומבדר כדאי לראות. במיוחד למי שאוהב סרטי גיבורי על ימות על הסרט הזה. אבל חבל שהוא לא יותר מסרט קיץ כיפי
  13. Jun 1, 2014
    The Avengers is directed by Joss Whedon. It is about many Marvel comic superheroes having to join forces to fight against evil. Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Black Widow must work together to fight against Thor’s adopted brother, Loki, and his army. Thor affects the story by having sympathy towards Loki. No one could just kill Loki because of his relationship with Thor. Captain America always wanted to have a plan of what to do. He is “old-school” compared to the other heroes, but changes the story by coming up with plans that were best for his team. The Hulk is the “muscle” out of the group. He helped teach the other heroes the art of self-control which affected what the others did in the film. Iron man was the most confident out of the group. His confidence played mind games with Loki, which poked holes into his evil plan. Hawkeye came later in the movie after being possessed by Loki and made part of his army. After being saved, Hawkeye wanted revenge against Loki for possessing him, which made Hawkeye more focused and accurate in battle. It changed the film by adding another member to the Avenger team to help defeat Loki’s army. Black Widow is an elite trained, Russian spy. She affected the movie by adding a female to the team, which made it more interesting and diverse. Thor’s adopted, younger brother, Loki, is the reason the superheroes must join forces. Loki’s character creates the plot for the story to take place.
    One of the themes for this work is that teamwork is harder than it appears. All these characters have their separate lives, towns, and villains to fight. They’ve single handedly defeated their opponents and have been praised for it. They have never had to work together with someone as equally powerful as themselves to defeat evil. Bringing independent personalities together makes this theme effective. Their independence makes it harder for them to work together. The team must learn to acknowledge their individual skills and compromise with each other throughout the film to be successful. This main idea is different and groundbreaking. Bringing together superheroes from separate stories and combining them into one unstoppable team is mind blowing. It changes all their stories to impact where they can know each other, and maybe even appear in each other’s separate movies. It creates a bridge between all of them and their lives.
    Some amusing quotes that stood out to me were:
    Captain America: “Hulk… smash.” Captain America said this when directing everyone on what to do and where to go. Captain American believed in having a plan and also using what skills you have to offer. This is my favorite quote because the Hulk always screams it in his other movies and it made me laugh.
    Loki: “I have an Army!”
    Iron Man: “We have a Hulk.” Iron Man was trying to be witty and play with Loki’s mind. This quote showed that Iron Man admired the Hulk’s strength and displayed his confidence in his team and its members.
    The film appealed to me in an emotional way, because it made me root for the good guys to win and defeat evil to save the world once again. The team uses all their powers to save the world threatened by Loki.
    The movie is rated a 9 because it was action-packed with the characters displaying many different personalities. The good guys win in the end, but the plot was slow in some parts of the story.
  14. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before seeing this film, I'm going to be honest I wasn't a big fan of this Marvel Cinematic Universe, not to say I didn't like it I just didn't care for it. You see when I first saw Iron Man, it liked it well (of course I like it a lot more now) but later on I didn't care for Iron Man 2 (and honestly I'm still not a fan of that sequel). Later on I never saw The Incredible Hulk, I liked Thor and I thought the first Captain America was alright but I still just wasn't digging the series that much, so I didn't go into The Avengers film expecting to love it, but I had a blast. It was amazing, seeing all these Marvel heroes together. It was cool seeing them interact and it was even kind of funny at times like when Iron Man fought with Thor and other things. I also like Loki, he was a really awesome antagonist, he had that cool blend of looking strong yet weak at the same time which was especially awesome when Hulk beats the crap out of him! The action was also cool, the special effects were cool, kind of Transformers-ish, but cool! I loved The Avengers! It got me more into the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I even enjoy the older films a little better, I also enjoy there later films and I am really looking forward to 2015 when The Avengers 2 comes out! The Avengers is a blast, it's probably my favorite Super Hero movie ever. Expand
  15. Mar 24, 2014
    I think the optimal film does not know why not won any Oscars worthy because it had History, cast, special effect of exellent quality, although not so the best thing to have your movie special effect I thought it was good because you make a film heroine and not will place special effect, I think they put emseu comedy film, and mixed with action.
  16. Feb 14, 2014
    The Godfather Of The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thus Far.
    The Characters Are Flawlessly Acted, The Script Is Brilliant, & It Can Make Anyone Feel Marvelous.
  17. Feb 13, 2014
    The Avengers is possibly the single greatest movie I have ever seen. It kept me on the edge of my seat nearly the entire movie! The Avengers tied up every prequel that came before it which I really liked. I bought the movie for Blu-Ray and watch it nearly every time I get the chance to. The Avengers keeps me wrapped up in the mysteries and funny moments.
  18. Jan 15, 2014
    Whoa, this movie is unquestionably a "Must Watch" for all Marvelites around the globe. This film features a unique combination of Iron Man, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Thor, Hulk and one of the most loved and awesome villains, Loki! Joss Whedon should be the face of Marvel! I'd love it if the Avengers 2 included Spider-Man!
  19. Jan 11, 2014
    Cool, funny, beautiful and interesting. Director Joss Whedon managed to completely different characters to combine them into one command so that each would not take over the movie.

The Avengers 2012 blockbuster best and best movie Marvel comics. Stark Tony / Iron Man excellent jokes. Loki turned out very cool villain. The other characters are also good. In the film, excellent special
    effects, cool action, a great cast and funny jokes. Expand
  20. Jan 6, 2014
    Well let's everybody enjoy ourselves with a quality superhero flick that is... In its first multiple superhero team-up, executed nearly flawlessly. Consider the many opportunities that this movie had a chance to create gaping plot holes, only to be masterfully minimized by Whedon and his team.
  21. Dec 30, 2013
    If Marvel had made several unconnected movies of various superheroes, it would have been sufficient. By making them all part of one massive universe- and capping it off with this studio masterpiece- they created a legend. I loved The Avengers because it didn't try to be anything more than what it was: a pulse-pounding thrill ride complete with epic action sequences, solid acting, vibrant special effects, and a whole lot of gut-busting humor. A prime example of entertainment at its highest level. Expand
  22. Dec 13, 2013
    I can't find a single reason to give this movie a 9.This is perfect film certainly the best movie of the year for me.The characters are great and the last battle true epicness that you can't get enough.Our culture is much richer and glorius with this movie at our hands.
  23. Nov 24, 2013
    I was wondering how they could've ben able to have done it, especially since I was hyped for it for years. As it seems, I was let down by a couple of things, but the action and the story were what kept me siting there. Overall, it was worth the wait.
  24. Nov 17, 2013
    This Is My Favourite Movie, The Action Is Fun, The Humor is Funny, Just A Really Extremely Awesome Movie Check it Out Seriously Do So Right Now.... NOW!
  25. Nov 13, 2013
    Probably one of the finest Marvel movies released (behind the first Iron Man of course). Joss Whedon's ability to bring several characters into one picture truly translates well.
  26. Nov 6, 2013
    The Nuclear Bomb Of Awesomeness & Excitement
    **The Avengers**

* If this movie fails to bring you the Awesomeness & Wonderful Excitement Then you wont get those things in any movies which you see in future The Avengers the movie which stood as pinnacle for delivering such Awesomeness & Excitement which you would never have expected Basically the movie consist of major MARVEL
    characters such as Iron Man,Hulk & Thor with each characters having movie of their own in different perspective.In this movie they are all brought back together without changing any of their contents from their origin movies.These movies which has been a building blocks for the development of the avengers Packing these huge movies putting their contents into one package would surely create a mess to handle such complicated task of displaying multiple attributes of different films and their characters is not an easy task to be handled with But Director And Screen play writer Joss Whedon has done an amazing & fantastic job of handling those issues and developing these characters to a new level not only that but developed their attributes to a new level as well its shows how talented and skillful joss whedon really is The screen play is fantastic in this movie every characters interaction with one another is spectacular its show how well the script has been written.In this movie most important thing is that every major characters have enough screen time to play and its brilliant considering the characters importance in this film All actors in this movie has given their amazing performance each and every actors in this movie needs to be applauded for their performance they were all simple,humors & displayed their acting with such elegance which you cannot find any fault!. In category of action its ""SPECTACULAR""every fighting scene in this movie is worth watching many times its very awesome seeing your heroes fighting in big screen .Action sequence in this film is simply "AMAZING". My thanks to special effects department they did an amazing job of bringing EARTH MIGHTIEST HEROES in big screen. Overall this movie will make you filled with Excitement and Awesomeness to the end .Simply to put in one word its "EPIC".." A Must Watch Movie "!.

THE AVENGERS **********

(10/10) Stars
  27. Nov 4, 2013
    I have been waiting a long time to see this movie. And I'm going to start off by saying that "The Avengers" is incredible. The action scenes are spectacularly exciting, with excellent use of visuals and CGI. One of my favorite scenes was when the camera spins around the superheroes because that was epic. This could well be one of the best summer blockbusters ever made.
  28. Sep 20, 2013
    For the most part, the Avengers was solid, and it kept me entertained; which is the sole purpose, right? The star-studded cast was all there, ready to make a great action movie. Some parts even made me laugh, more than I expected. I like Colbie Smulders, who played Agent Maria Hill, since she plays Robin on How I Met Your Mother. But, I think we all have to admit, she didn't only get the part for her amazing acting talents. We all know she 's pretty. Expand
  29. Sep 20, 2013
    "The Avengers" was probably one of the most exhilarating movies I have ever watched. It creative mix of characters and its unstoppable action is as epic as it can be. The only slight downside of it is its relatively simple plot, but it is an action movie, and it's large budget is mostly for enhancing that. I am pretty sure that the sequel scheduled for 2015 is a movie that I will watch.
  30. Aug 23, 2013
    The Avengers at first dissapointed me, but it grew on me. The film gradually builds up from being boring and full of emotionless events and non-exciting action to an extremely exciting climax, the middle of the film was suspence filled build up to the climax near the end. The near-end climax of the story and action did not dissapoint me, as it was one of the most exciting group of scenes in all movies. The acting and character building was great in this film; although the story wasn't the best, it was pretty darn good and certainly kept me watching but the story wasn't the only thing keeping me watching... The action was non-stop and incredibly exciting throughout the last 50 minutes, it made me smile to see all of the characters work together to save the citizens of New York and, well, the world.
    Although The Avengers starts blandly and boringly, it gradually builds up to an incredibly exciting climax; The Avengers may not be the best super hero film I've seen, but it's still very good and definetely deserves to be watched around the world. So I give this film a... 87/100!

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 8, 2012
    The banter has zip, the effects are fun, the climactic battle is decently spectacular, and if the 3-D is mostly expendable, there are a few scenes where it adds a nice kick.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 4, 2012
    This mania is what Marvel followers have hungered for, and it would be fruitless to deny their delight. As Loki says to a crowd of earthlings, "It is the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation." We do, Master, we do.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 4, 2012
    They're fascinating characters, to be sure, with back stories ripe for development. But Whedon doesn't commit here, and the results are shrug-worthy.