7.8

1. Jan 28, 2015
    Definitely overrated. Its not a bad movie but I thought it was long winded and ultimately not very convincing regardless of what you thought happened in the end. The biggest problem however is that it was not original, which is hard to do. But for that reason, I cannot really rate this thing over a 7. It brought nothing new to the table that we had not seen before and frankly I thought theDefinitely overrated. Its not a bad movie but I thought it was long winded and ultimately not very convincing regardless of what you thought happened in the end. The biggest problem however is that it was not original, which is hard to do. But for that reason, I cannot really rate this thing over a 7. It brought nothing new to the table that we had not seen before and frankly I thought the kid was over acting while the mother was underacting or was just not believable in many ways. Again, its a horror movie so I am not expecting much but at the same time the movie itself didnt have much else to talk about. It was not fun like some horror movies and it was not written well enough to feel plausible. Its kind of like Friday the 13th taking itself seriously... A solid 6 in my opinion. Expand
  2. Jan 27, 2015
    The Bababdook movie wasn't bad movie but wasn't good too the director Jennifer Kent did a great job horror movie directed by a woman and she had a really small budget to do that i mean really small but she get it .It's kind of horror film that's not scary because of the kills or monster or scary sound it's kind of a psychological horror that get under your skin.The movie drawn you in someThe Bababdook movie wasn't bad movie but wasn't good too the director Jennifer Kent did a great job horror movie directed by a woman and she had a really small budget to do that i mean really small but she get it .It's kind of horror film that's not scary because of the kills or monster or scary sound it's kind of a psychological horror that get under your skin.The movie drawn you in some kind of psycho atmosphere wich is very good for a horror movies.Maybe in few moments of the movie i get bored and uninterested
    and the name "Babadook" that make laugh i mean seriously is that the most scary name that they come but what ever i have a great time with that movie im still not sure why is ti because it's good movie or it's because i was high as f*ck but thats my opinion.
  3. Nov 28, 2014
    Essie Davis is electrifying in "The Babadook", and the storyline itself is profound and crawly. Jennifer Kent's debut is an exemplary tale of catastrophe and tepidity.
  4. Nov 28, 2014
    Far from traditional, this is by far the best horror film released in the past five years. Like the scariest bits taken from David Lynch but stretched over a 90 minute running time. The Babadook is a highly accomplished debut feature - great film making, powerfully performed and utterly terrifying.
  5. Dec 2, 2014
    I don't know if I find this as frightening as a lot of people are saying it is, but it is indeed gorgeous, well-acted and well-directed. Pulling from a number of standards within the genre, The Babadook somehow still feels new. One of the best films about grief since Rabbit Hole.
  6. Dec 2, 2014
    There are the horror movies that acheive greatness by scaring you by what's on screen, jolting your conscious mind, and there are the ones that do it by sinking into your unconscious mind like a splinter, lingering and haunting you well after the show is over. This is one of the latter, and a truly great example of it. I've seen it a few times now and it gets better with each viewing.
  7. Nov 28, 2014
    A metaphor-rich tale of a mother and his weird child, which is Amazing and yet so chilling and scary. It's nothing but a Woman's story of grief and sorrow in superlative way. Kudos to Jennifer Kent, Because this is modern "The Shining", with Oscar nomination worthy Performance from Essie Davis.
    I watched this movie 2nd time so that I can pick a flaw, Instead I loved it way more.
    "If it's
    "If it's in a word, or it's in a look, you can't get rid of The Babadook". This dialogue is so right, after watching the movie!
    For me this should get nominated
    "Best Actress in Leading Role"
    "Best Adapted Screenplay"
    "Best Direction"
    "Best Cinematography"
    "Best Motion Picture"
  8. Nov 28, 2014
    The Best Horror Movie in 2014!! Outstanding and Creepy! You must see it, prime up your Emotional. Perfect!!. ‘I couldn’t agree more’. I said. The Babadook adalah sebuah cerita horor yang begitu dalam dan sangat berbeda dari film-film horor biasanya. Bahkan dengan dimulainya opening scene yang jarang sekali saya temukan di film-film horor lainnya telah membuat saya mengerinyitkan alis danThe Best Horror Movie in 2014!! Outstanding and Creepy! You must see it, prime up your Emotional. Perfect!!. ‘I couldn’t agree more’. I said. The Babadook adalah sebuah cerita horor yang begitu dalam dan sangat berbeda dari film-film horor biasanya. Bahkan dengan dimulainya opening scene yang jarang sekali saya temukan di film-film horor lainnya telah membuat saya mengerinyitkan alis dan berfikir matang apa yang akan disajikan selanjutnya oleh Kent dalam film debutnya ini. Expand
  9. Nov 28, 2014
    I watched the Babadook and I must say I quite liked the movie because its type of horror distinguished itself from the others and left out the jumpscares advancing to the horror itself, had incredible performances from the two lead actors, Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman, a good story that led us to sympathize with the characters and to fear for them, and even a tone and a soundtrack thatI watched the Babadook and I must say I quite liked the movie because its type of horror distinguished itself from the others and left out the jumpscares advancing to the horror itself, had incredible performances from the two lead actors, Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman, a good story that led us to sympathize with the characters and to fear for them, and even a tone and a soundtrack that stand out. For me it deserves 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, because it was a great movie that really worked thanks to Jennifer Kent's amazing storytelling, and let's hope they launch The Babadook Book because I really loved its iconic character. Expand
  10. Nov 28, 2014
    Recomendo este filme pela sua simplicidade e elementos surpresa, com direito a atuações fantásticas. Esqueça os jump scares clichês. Porém, uma análise mais profunda com relação ao final deve ser feita para tal compreendimento do mesmo.
  11. Nov 29, 2014
    Though not totally scary, this movie clearly serves as a complex psychological drama that keeps you in suspense the whole time. The performances are remarkable, the scenery and filming are unusually excellent, but the best part is the plot itself.. Is Amelia fighting a real monster, or her own and broken memories and ghosts? To make it simple, this movie is not only spooky and weird, butThough not totally scary, this movie clearly serves as a complex psychological drama that keeps you in suspense the whole time. The performances are remarkable, the scenery and filming are unusually excellent, but the best part is the plot itself.. Is Amelia fighting a real monster, or her own and broken memories and ghosts? To make it simple, this movie is not only spooky and weird, but also emotive and (most of all) mesmerizing. Expand
  12. Nov 30, 2014
    THE BABADOOK is a standard premise but in its first half is truly terrifying for being not a film nightmare or nightmare but a true living nightmare. Does that make sense? It will if you see the film. The nightmare in THE BABADOOK is parenthood and specifically, single parenting. Nothing could be more frightening. But then the horror shenanigans began and the film loses its way fallingTHE BABADOOK is a standard premise but in its first half is truly terrifying for being not a film nightmare or nightmare but a true living nightmare. Does that make sense? It will if you see the film. The nightmare in THE BABADOOK is parenthood and specifically, single parenting. Nothing could be more frightening. But then the horror shenanigans began and the film loses its way falling into standard contemporary horror land which is really a major disappointment. So much good is washed away by the standardness of THE BABADOOK's second half. Expand
  13. Dec 1, 2014
    There are so many dumb horror movies out this year, but, believe you me, The Babadook is not one of them. For a 7 yr old, Noah Wiseman is a fantastic actor!
    An interesting story, an "A" rated performance from the cast, and witful directing from Jennifer Kent round up this movie's strongest points. The ending though was rather dull and not quite what I expected, but I think it would have really soured my day if it concluded on a more tragic note (like most horror movies do).
    In all, The Babadook is an enjoyable movie!
  14. Jan 1, 2015
    Honestly I don't get it sometimes, there are movies that are just meh, there are movies that are terrible and there are movies that just don't even try.
    the Babadook isn't any of these things.
    It's like two scripts were jammed together to make a full one because the writers of each didn't have the patience to try and write a full story. Or they found that the idea of the movie is silly
    the Babadook isn't any of these things.
    Or they found that the idea of the movie is silly and couldn't write their way out of it.

This movie is a mess of bad writing, it's a hodge-podge of two separate stories, one of a person under a possession going insane and one of a person "thinking" they're under a possession and due to that, losing their mind.
    It's right there in the visuals, we see things hinting that all of this is based on her delusions several times, there are hints that she may have already lost her mind and forgotten that she'd done something. There's no explanation for things and there's no "reason" for anything.
    Take the book itself, it's sitting there on the kid's shelf and after reading it, the babadook comes calling.
    How did it get there? Why is it that a kid who has night terrors and needs a book reading to him hasn't had this book read before? Are these things just there for no reason?
    There are hints that this is all in her head and she can't remember doing things, for instance she's said to be an author and we see her hands dirty from what looks like charcoal. Is this implying she made the book, forgot and after destroying it, remade it and then forgot that?

See, no reason is given, now I'll commend this for the acting and the visuals, but that alone doesn't make a good movie. It's just Bad.
  15. Jan 4, 2015
    The Babadook will haunt you long after the film concludes its brief 90 minutes. What's even more incredible: the level of skill in filmmaking that will resonate with you. There are hints of We Need to Talk About Kevin - although, that only makes the film stronger, deeper. Essie Davis is a triumph!
  16. Jan 11, 2015
    First rate performances lift what could have been an average spook story into levels of strong drama. Not the scariest film ever made, but uncomfortable and rewarding. Well worth a view.
  17. Dec 14, 2014
    The Babadook es una película de terror dirigida por Jennifer Kent que manipula su terror psicológico de una forma eficaz e inteligente, obteniendo así una de las mejores películas de terror de estos tiempos.

Esta película contiene un excelente y admirable guión que le da a la historia un tono más fuerte psicológicamente, debido a que la historia nos entrega un terror psicológico, y que ese terror se manipula de una manera brillante, tanto que logra darnos escalofríos y miedo durante el avance de este largometraje. Además, este film cuenta con grandes actuaciones por parte de los protagonistas que le dan más realismo y sentimiento a esta historia en donde se puede ver como ellos (me refiero a los protagonistas) se van derrumbando y quebrando lentamente psicológicamente., obteniendo, en general, una película de terror que se puede considerar como una de las mejores en los últimos años.
  18. Dec 17, 2014
    Not even that scary to me, not many good jump scares... although i'll give it praise for being very creepy and chilling, and plus hearing the noises of the Babadook creature was enough to send chills up my spine. crazy creepy atmosphere, loved the cinematography/director of photography by Radek Ladczuk. The kid actor, Noah Wiseman, is very believable and amazing for a kid in a horror flick.
  19. Dec 20, 2014
    Jennifer Kent directs "The Babadook" the knew Australian Horror film, starring Essie Davis. This movie does not rely on pointless jump-scares or loud noises to be unsettling. This movie disturbed me more then any other thriller or horror film has since Johnathan Demme's "The Silence of the Lambs". And it even could be the best thriller since "The Silence of the Lambs".
    This film has been
    This film has been compared to Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining". I can see why. The film-making strategy and over all story are very similar, but the use of electrify imagery, and implications outmatches "The Shining", by a huge margin.
    Jennifer Kent's debut is exciting. If any of her upcoming projects are half as good as this one is, we may have the next Spielberg.
  20. Jan 6, 2015
    If you are thinking this will be a good horror movie then you are in for a disappointment. There are no attempts to make you jump. The film relies on slowly (very tediously slowly) building up the tension and creepiness. However it really fails to do this - instead juts becoming more depressing (its basically a story about a mother struggling to cope with depression) and absurd as theIf you are thinking this will be a good horror movie then you are in for a disappointment. There are no attempts to make you jump. The film relies on slowly (very tediously slowly) building up the tension and creepiness. However it really fails to do this - instead juts becoming more depressing (its basically a story about a mother struggling to cope with depression) and absurd as the film progresses. You will be hoping that the ending redeems itself but it doesn't. Nothing about the film is clever or original. The acting is shoddy. The film is so dark throughout its hard to see whats going on. The babadook looks like Marylin Manson. Avoid Expand
  21. Nov 28, 2014
    An interesting horror movie. Much more psychological than anticipated but a little disappointing they didn't go down that path more. It's a horror movie for the ladies, written and directed by a woman, it explores a mother hurting and losing her child. The kid is brilliant, annoying as hell, but that's the character. On the negative side, the public domain sound effects are cheap and allAn interesting horror movie. Much more psychological than anticipated but a little disappointing they didn't go down that path more. It's a horror movie for the ladies, written and directed by a woman, it explores a mother hurting and losing her child. The kid is brilliant, annoying as hell, but that's the character. On the negative side, the public domain sound effects are cheap and all the adults are caked in makeup. It will probably get a Hollywood remake which aren't always bad. Altogether, certainly worth watching, especially for an Australian horror movie. Expand
  22. Dec 15, 2014
    A pregnant woman's husband is killed on the way to have their baby. Six years later, the widowed mother and child are still a mess and to make matters worse, an evil presence invades their home. Anyone who has seen Japanese spirit haunting films like "The Grudge" and "The Ring" will recognize the scare tactics: ominous music, loud crashes, quick glimpses of a creepy presence and lots ofA pregnant woman's husband is killed on the way to have their baby. Six years later, the widowed mother and child are still a mess and to make matters worse, an evil presence invades their home. Anyone who has seen Japanese spirit haunting films like "The Grudge" and "The Ring" will recognize the scare tactics: ominous music, loud crashes, quick glimpses of a creepy presence and lots of terrified reactions. While the characters are compelling (especially young Noah Wiseman), the suspense is low-key and predictable. I wasn't scared or surprised once. Expand
  23. Dec 25, 2014
    My friend, who is big into horror films, demanded we watch this movie. "It's the scariest movie of the year!" she exclaimed over and over. "We have to watch it!" The scariest movie of the year? Well I have to watch that don't I? So, we did. The thing is, I really wish we hadn't. The Babadook starts off slow, building tension between a stressed out mother and her son, who I can only assumeMy friend, who is big into horror films, demanded we watch this movie. "It's the scariest movie of the year!" she exclaimed over and over. "We have to watch it!" The scariest movie of the year? Well I have to watch that don't I? So, we did. The thing is, I really wish we hadn't. The Babadook starts off slow, building tension between a stressed out mother and her son, who I can only assume suffers from some form of mental handicap. Throughout the first half, the film builds tension, but never enough to have you on the edge of your seat, just barely enough to keep your eyes on the screen. The second half of the movie is even worse. There is a climax that just feels rushed and sloppy, and the ending literally caused me to throw my hands up in the air. It was just, terrible, for lack of a better word. There is nothing scary about The Babadook. There is little even worth watching in The Babadook. The only saving grace was the beautifully crafted book they used in the movie. Outside of that one prop, this film was an utter waste of time. It easily falls into my list of the worst films I've seen in 2014. Expand
  24. Dec 23, 2014
    don't waste your money. until the allegedly scary thing appears, the film's quite good. if the story just stuck with the mother unraveling over the stress of having a strange child, it would've had this chilling, claustrophic effect. the babadook brings on histrionic acting and tired horror tropes. the pop up book was creepier than its subject.
  25. Dec 6, 2014
    This movie gets a lower score due to how much potential it had. Given a good script rewrite it could have been a classic. It has some small pacing issues but thats nothing compared to the tiny cast of entirely unlikable characters. The kid is awful from the get go and you really hope he's the first to die. You empathize with the mom a bit for dealing with the little sh¡t but she isnt veryThis movie gets a lower score due to how much potential it had. Given a good script rewrite it could have been a classic. It has some small pacing issues but thats nothing compared to the tiny cast of entirely unlikable characters. The kid is awful from the get go and you really hope he's the first to die. You empathize with the mom a bit for dealing with the little sh¡t but she isnt very likable either. Perhaps through the use of flashblacks they could have made you care about them more or if they added more characters to help give context rather than isolate the characters then they could have achieved the same result. But, in the end, it is just two unlikable characters that can't die soon enough. Expand
  26. Dec 4, 2014
    I watched engrossed for the first half an hour. It seemed like an interesting story with a stressed out, well meaning single mother and her problem child and his violent antisocial behaviours and what seemed to be an over active imagination.

The acting was well done and both the mother and the kid are good actors. Unfortunately the horror of the movie was laughable and when they

The acting was well done and both the mother and the kid are good actors.

Unfortunately the horror of the movie was laughable and when they tried to scare you, the whole thing fell apart. I started laughing at the voices that were suppose to terrify and the effects used were straight out of a student movie.

It got to the point where I completely lost interest. I continued to watch for a while but I skipped the last 15 minutes cause it was so crap. Don't believe all the reviews. This was a dreadful movie and best avoided.
  27. Nov 28, 2014
    The bad seed meets mommie dearest with glimpses of Polanski's Repulsion in this horror from down under. In the end , our inner demons are far more frightening then the fairy tale book pop-up - Babadook. Minimal special effects and maximum performances deliver enough scares to drop in on this haunted family.
  28. Feb 8, 2015
    A film that mixes tired horror devices, pseudoscience, and some of the sexist and perverse aspects of modern Feminism that everyone seems to be warming up to these days, into a hot, steaming pot of cream of glass soup, or black vomit, or sh*t—take your pick. Watching this film was a sickening experience made all the more sickening by its critical acclaim. Also, despite the fact that manyA film that mixes tired horror devices, pseudoscience, and some of the sexist and perverse aspects of modern Feminism that everyone seems to be warming up to these days, into a hot, steaming pot of cream of glass soup, or black vomit, or sh*t—take your pick. Watching this film was a sickening experience made all the more sickening by its critical acclaim. Also, despite the fact that many (presumably blind and deaf) critics state that this film does not rely on jump scares, . . . it kinda does. Yes, the film also employs stale psychological thriller tactics to try to scare you, but that doesn't just erase the jump scares, nor does it make it an innovative or scary film; all that does is make it a film that tries and fails to scare you with two standard genre tactics in a very predictable way. Think of this movie as an un-scary, un-atmospheric "The Shining," meets every jump-scare horror film with a child and a monster, meets every modern possession film. My theory as to why this movie received critical acclaim is that the critics were so tired of dissing stale horror films that they physically couldn't do it anymore due to severe nausea and were compelled to give it a positive review—that or the Babadook possessed them. Expand
  29. Dec 30, 2014
    "I've never seen a more terrifying film than THE BABADOOK."

So says William Friedkin, director of The Exorcist, a movie that itself is often considered the scariest movie ever made. The Babadook was the best reviewed movie of the holiday season per RottenTomatoes (98%), beating out all Oscar contenders except Boyhood. It features the best children's pop-up book ... EVER! And it was
    "I've never seen a more terrifying film than THE BABADOOK."

It features the best children's pop-up book ... EVER! And it was probably released in less theaters than The Interview.

It's a story of grief, depression, and the tension/bond between a mother and child, all seamlessly weaved into an original and captivating supernatural horror flick. The performances of the mother and son are outstanding, although you'll want to strangle at least one of them initially for obnoxious behavior.

It is currently topping many of 2014's "Here Are the 10 Best Movies You Didn't See This Year."

That will change by next year as one of "The Best Horror Movies of All-Time."
  30. Jan 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Much less a horror film than a chiller, "The Babadook" was a complex and profoundly unnerving film. It really was very good at making me squirm uncomfortably in my seat. Its use of imagery and sound to unsettle me, rather than jump scares to catch me off-guard, made it a far more interesting and worthwhile experience. I was not frightened, per se, but I was certainly creeped out. Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman gave exceptional performances and I'm pleased Davis is getting so much critical recognition for her role, as she is unlikely to get much attention on the major awards circuit, which is a damned shame because she plays her role to perfection, embodying both the victim and the villain of the movie by its gut-wrenching end. I did not enjoy "The Babadook", I did not need to. If I enjoyed it, it would not have been half as good as it was. Expand
  31. Dec 5, 2014
    I watched this movie with surround sound system on, and hollllyyy molllyy. It creates a freaky lonely environment from the start and finishes with the same type of environment. It was based around the wife really missing her partner, and she is introduced with this new guy who later on in the film isn't seen at all. I feel like that is personally a waist of a great end line or character.I watched this movie with surround sound system on, and hollllyyy molllyy. It creates a freaky lonely environment from the start and finishes with the same type of environment. It was based around the wife really missing her partner, and she is introduced with this new guy who later on in the film isn't seen at all. I feel like that is personally a waist of a great end line or character. They introduced this character as a possible husband or major character but end up chucking him away as nothing. Other than that personal major problem, i really enjoyed this movie and it was really scary especially the sounds. I will keep this at a 10 even though the possible husband character wasn't used well because it was a horror movie and stayed a horror movie. But the ending make's no sense to me haha. Expand
  32. Feb 24, 2015
    This so called scary film is a waste of time and I blame the critics for the hype as the film has lots of plot holes and undeveloped subplots . Surely , the critics would have noticed but they still give good reviews to this rubbish. Over the top performances caused lots of giggles in the cinema. Even this proves that the film is far from being scary.
  33. Nov 28, 2014
    The babadook is a psychological horror film meant only for big horror fans and for the vulgar ignorant masses known as the film critic. I will admit this film will give you a scare and I only watched a few scenes in the movie. But when a maniacal mother kills her pet dog and tries to murder her own son, this gives me enough reason to call the film a utter toilet bowl splash back. The cornyThe babadook is a psychological horror film meant only for big horror fans and for the vulgar ignorant masses known as the film critic. I will admit this film will give you a scare and I only watched a few scenes in the movie. But when a maniacal mother kills her pet dog and tries to murder her own son, this gives me enough reason to call the film a utter toilet bowl splash back. The corny plot, unneeded over the top acting, gimmick scare scenes makes this film perfect for non horror film fans and i am no horror fan. Ultimately It's not the movie for me and the reason why it is so bad in the first place is because of the foolish critics who call the film perfect and keeps getting overrated like all overrated crap. So that Is my review Expand
  34. Dec 3, 2014
    I hated this film. To summarize it. It is about a woman raising her child alone after her husband died in a car wreck before the child's birth.

Le me tell you why i hate this film. It was suppose to be a "scary movie". At no point was anything about this film scary. There were a few exorcist-like scenes that we have all seen 277 times. The film developed extremely slow. The director focused on showing how horrible of a mother the main character is. She lets her son walk all over her and never considers disciplining him. Single mother or not, that kid needed a spanking. After filling 80% of the movie with boring back story about an annoying unruly child, they started to discuss The Babadook. The film never established the antagonist, The Babadook, or why the movie goer should be afraid of him. The film simply goes, "Hi everyone, this woman who can't get over her past doesn't know how to discipline her son. Now here is a moving suit that talks and creates wall shadows!"

I kept watching the film waiting for it to give me something but before i knew it, the end of the movie was there. I WONT but i almost want to spoil the ending so viewers wont have to sit through what I sat through. Lets just say the ending leaves a lot to be desired.

For the first half of the film, I thought the boy had autism but it just turns out, he's just a really awful person because his mother is a really awful mother. A lot of people will say the kid was just a great actor to make the viewers hate him so much but I'll counter that by saying they went overboard and focused waaayyyy too much of the film on how much of an awful kid and mother the pair were.
  35. Dec 6, 2014
    It is a good movie. The kid is a good actor. I liked the idea of the movie and that babadook book they find. That was kind of a cool idea, and I was hoping it will get more interesting. Unfortunately it did not get much better after the first half of the film. It is like they just lost interest in the movie, or run out of ideas half way through. Just exorcist-like or shining-like ideasIt is a good movie. The kid is a good actor. I liked the idea of the movie and that babadook book they find. That was kind of a cool idea, and I was hoping it will get more interesting. Unfortunately it did not get much better after the first half of the film. It is like they just lost interest in the movie, or run out of ideas half way through. Just exorcist-like or shining-like ideas copied into this movie. It could have been so much better. I was much looking forward to seeing something scary, especially after reading many reviews that said it is a very scary and terrifying movie. Unfortunately I was disappointed. There was not a single scary thing in the movie. To the contrary, that babadook thing is kind of charming. They should have considered making a childrens movie with mr. babadook instead. Expand
  36. Nov 29, 2014
    I just watched this movie. I was rooting for the babadook! one of the worst movies I have ever seen! I will give the lead actress kudos, but story line was awful. I will be calling directv to get my money back
  37. Nov 30, 2014
    The Babadook is a well-acted, entertaining and quite affecting film. But it is not scary at all. And the creature itself is ineffectual to the point of being funny - completely killing any sense of tension the movie builds. Worth seeing, but not if you're hoping to be terrified.
  38. Dec 25, 2014
    A very well made movie. Not very scary, but creepy indeed and will give you chills down your spine. The actress who plays the mother is excellent and for a child actor, the boy does a pretty good job too. The film gives enough clues to what it actually is about, yet despite knowing what it is about, you still wonder if it's real or not. Why i wouldn't rate the film extremely high, i do getA very well made movie. Not very scary, but creepy indeed and will give you chills down your spine. The actress who plays the mother is excellent and for a child actor, the boy does a pretty good job too. The film gives enough clues to what it actually is about, yet despite knowing what it is about, you still wonder if it's real or not. Why i wouldn't rate the film extremely high, i do get why the critics praise it. It's very well written and more intelligent than it appears to be. Those who just wanted to see a horror movie to get scared will think it's overrated, those who 'get it' and think about the metaphors, will appreciate it a lot more. Expand
  39. Jan 13, 2015
    A deliciously strange combination of the Exorcist, Repulsion, and Dr.Seuss, Jenifer Kent’s debut feature The Babadook is simultaneously true to the roots of horror and daringly original. Anchored by a brilliant performance by Essie Davis as a single mother attempting to raise a problem child without becoming a monster herself, The Babadook is possibly the best horror film to come out sinceA deliciously strange combination of the Exorcist, Repulsion, and Dr.Seuss, Jenifer Kent’s debut feature The Babadook is simultaneously true to the roots of horror and daringly original. Anchored by a brilliant performance by Essie Davis as a single mother attempting to raise a problem child without becoming a monster herself, The Babadook is possibly the best horror film to come out since Guillermo Del Toro’s Pans Labyrinth. And yet, to say this is the best modern horror film in years feels odd, primarily because The Babadook has very little in common with the recent trends of jump scare found footage films (Paranormal Activity) or torture porn films (Saw). No doubt, fans of these more recent horror movements will be disappointed. Jenifer Kent’s film is a better fit in the cannon of 70’s classics that capitalize on the primal fears of parenthood (Rosemary’s Baby, Don’t Look Now, The Brood). Much like these masterpieces of horror, The Babadook is a film with depth, atmosphere, and ambiguity but most importantly it’s terrifying. Expand
  40. Feb 1, 2015
    A masterful metaphor for depression and loss, this is more than a horror movie. It's one many won't find "scary" in the conventional sense, though the horror conventions are all there and so well executed. There are few jumps. The Babadook is more about what's underneath it all. Essentially a two-person cast, both Essie Davis and little Noah Wiseman are perfect. How is this a debut film?A masterful metaphor for depression and loss, this is more than a horror movie. It's one many won't find "scary" in the conventional sense, though the horror conventions are all there and so well executed. There are few jumps. The Babadook is more about what's underneath it all. Essentially a two-person cast, both Essie Davis and little Noah Wiseman are perfect. How is this a debut film? Kudos to Jennifer Kent. Expand
  41. Dec 11, 2014
    First, this is an excellent film. BUT, possibly it was over-hyped. Maybe I expected something different. But, I found some boredom creeping in around the half-way point. I had decided what my opinion of the plot happenings was. Not entirely original, but extremely well done nevertheless.

Not enough praise can be given to the acting talents of the two leads. The young boy, especially, turned in the best child performance I have ever seen in a horror movie. He was actually frightening himself, even in his quiet moments. Most impressive. It will be interesting to see if he moves forward to a full acting career.
  42. Dec 23, 2014
    Definitely the best horror film of 2014. The best part comes not from The Babadook himself, but from the haunting this family has from a death in their past. Not saying The Babadook isn't terrifying though. A-
  43. Feb 16, 2015
    The Babadook is definitely one of the best horror movies in the past 10 years. It is leagues above all the horror movies released in the past 5 years. The script is genius and casting is top notch. Both main actors do a great job. Instead of relying on cheap gore and jump scares, The Babadook builds tension and scares you by the atmosphere. The symbolism is great and stop motion monsterThe Babadook is definitely one of the best horror movies in the past 10 years. It is leagues above all the horror movies released in the past 5 years. The script is genius and casting is top notch. Both main actors do a great job. Instead of relying on cheap gore and jump scares, The Babadook builds tension and scares you by the atmosphere. The symbolism is great and stop motion monster makes it very realistic and scary. The plot is also really beautiful in a creepy way. The only shortcoming is the dragon sound effect at the end. Expand
  44. Feb 8, 2015
    Ba Ba-Ba Dook! Dook! Dook! That sound will stay with your far after the movie has finished. If you are a horror fan looking for something new, look no further than The Babadook. Just be prepared to have

t’s received very good reviews critically, if you enjoyed movies like The Conjuring/ Nightmare on Elm Street or Rosemary’s Baby then you will most definitely like this. It’s a Australian movie and to be honest with you I’ve not watched many Australian movies in the past but the ones I have watched have always been very good. It’s not your typical horror movie in the sense that it draws upon more the psychological element of horror then your typical ghost scenes, it’s a very creepy movie lol.

It plays on your imagination and honestly there are some truly frightening and disturbing scenes in this movie, at times it can be uncomfortable. The atmosphere is very dark and there’s always an uneasy feeling throughout the movie. The performances are memorable, the plot and pacing are finely-tuned, and the eerie sound effects do justice to this marvelously shot, high-quality movie. A rare and fine experience.

“A single mother, plagued by the violent death of her husband, battles with her son’s fear of a monster lurking in the house, but soon discovers a sinister presence all around her.”
  45. Dec 7, 2014
    I can bet GOOD MONEY! that the negative reviews come from people who just don't understand Horror films. They're the same people who like movies like Ouija and Annabelle. They Believe that JUMP SCARES make a film scary. That being said The Babadook was a great film! Is it the scariest movie i have ever seen? No, not exactly. But it is scary psychologically, it's a film that gives you aI can bet GOOD MONEY! that the negative reviews come from people who just don't understand Horror films. They're the same people who like movies like Ouija and Annabelle. They Believe that JUMP SCARES make a film scary. That being said The Babadook was a great film! Is it the scariest movie i have ever seen? No, not exactly. But it is scary psychologically, it's a film that gives you a very eerie feeling after you're done watching. I have to give them tons of credit for not having even ONE jump scare! Not one! The film builds up and get scarier and scarier, so the first act or so might feel a bit underwhelming. The acting is fantastic! The little boy was so good as well as the actress playing the mom. Hollywood take Note, that is how you make a proper horror movie!!!! I will say that i am sick! of Horror movies being about Possessions, the whole (my son/daughter is possessed or the my dad/mom is possessed! I am honestly tired of it! COME UP WITH SOMETHING BETTER! The Babadook isn't a possession film per se, but it's more of Monster movie, that leans towards possessions. The end of the movie was ODD, that's all I'll say. Not a perfect movie but compared to the Hoards of Horror movies America releases yearly THIS IS ABOVE all of that crap. Expect Hollywood to do a "Remake" LOL. I'm giving the Babadook a 9/10. Expand
  46. Dec 16, 2014
    The truth is that the tab on this movie's page on Metacritic has been opened ever since I saw this movie, just because I knew I had to write something on it.
    I managed to get a promo on this movie and I saw it as a late night personal special on Halloween. All day long I had watched my favorite horror flicks, but I longed to watch something new and good. I tried a few titles, but they all fell way too short. I had begun to think that Hallowen of 2014 would forever be scared by the lack of a quality horror movie! Enter "The Babadook"!
    Right off the bat - this movie is very, very good. I hadn't heard of the director, nor any of the actors, in fact I still don't know their names and I won't go to IMBD to check and to sound professional about this review, because it doesn't matter - the movie is that solid.
    It tells a tale that at first sounds as one we've heard a thousand times, but as the plot gets more entwined a very subtle, yet strong sense of symbolism is introduced, that relies on the viewer's judgement to assess what is actually going on in the movie.
    All the actors do a great job, the supernatural challenge presented in the film is indeed creepy and frightening, and the overall plot is very strong.
    I am taking away one point because I feel the ending makes a statement that almost becomes a inner conflict. But it's not at all a big deal.
    This is the strongest horror movie I've seen in a long time - not just in 2014. It's a movie I recommend to all horror fans and movie fanatics - you are sure to enjoy this movie.
  47. Dec 25, 2014
    There are certainly elements of the film that have been seen before, but the test of a horror film is whether it can violate your expectations enough to create some legitimate uncertainty and get under your skin. On that level, The Babadook feels like a success to me. It'll creep you out all right.

It's also a fine piece of craft; low budget to be sure but it looked slick and stylish and I didn't question the effects.

Hard to say too much about the plot of course without giving things away, but what makes this movie interesting is it really focuses on a mother-child relationship, and the social dynamics surrounding them. On that level it feels grounded, and that makes the film compelling.
  48. Jan 25, 2015
    Outstanding movie that works incredibly well on multiple levels. It's a terrifying horror movie and a psychological thriller/exposition that any parent can identify with. Fantastic.
  49. Jan 6, 2015
    Great acting, but there's no relate-able characters. There's a despicable mother, a headache-inducing child, everything is dark grey, the mood is depression and sadness from start to finish, and the horror elements are straight out of any other ghost movie, except that I didn't find them well executed in any way. I didn't care in the least if everyone in the film died. I'm not sayingGreat acting, but there's no relate-able characters. There's a despicable mother, a headache-inducing child, everything is dark grey, the mood is depression and sadness from start to finish, and the horror elements are straight out of any other ghost movie, except that I didn't find them well executed in any way. I didn't care in the least if everyone in the film died. I'm not saying it's a bad film, I'm giving the reasons why I hated it. Expand
  50. Dec 4, 2014
    "The Babadook" is a crazy, scary, metaphor-rich, and beautifully creepy psychological horror-drama. The ambiguities, amazing cinematography, and subtle imagery make the movie so terrifying, rather than the jump-scare fest it could have been. The house itself is so dark and morbid, which perfectly reflects the somber tone of the film. The acting from both Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman (a"The Babadook" is a crazy, scary, metaphor-rich, and beautifully creepy psychological horror-drama. The ambiguities, amazing cinematography, and subtle imagery make the movie so terrifying, rather than the jump-scare fest it could have been. The house itself is so dark and morbid, which perfectly reflects the somber tone of the film. The acting from both Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman (a very talented young actor) was outstanding and made the tension between mother and son so realistic. This movie will mostly appeal to the horror buff due to its slow pace, but I give it my highest recommendation. Expand
  51. Jan 6, 2015
    It combines stuff from the exorcist, the shinning and other great from the genre. Great perfomances by the two leading, specially the boy. Besides from that it is still a regular horror film.
  52. Feb 20, 2015
    The Babadook is a great movie to watch all alone in the dark, it's very interesting, scary at some points and very Tense. The acting of the Woman and the kid are great, and it's not a movie that tries to scare you with jump scares. But some people may find it very boring, at first it looks like a movie about familiar problems of a single wife who lost her husband and a problematic kid, itThe Babadook is a great movie to watch all alone in the dark, it's very interesting, scary at some points and very Tense. The acting of the Woman and the kid are great, and it's not a movie that tries to scare you with jump scares. But some people may find it very boring, at first it looks like a movie about familiar problems of a single wife who lost her husband and a problematic kid, it can be tyring, but in the end it leaves you with a good impression. Expand
  53. Dec 4, 2014
    I think, Babadok is a new wave of New Brave World philosophical cinema where characters materialize their fears, hate, and inner evils into popular folk villains. Bottom line, woman who is so fed up with her autistic child’s behavior, diverges her hatred toward him (her child) and ex-husband (also genetically accountable for a child being physically unbearable). She expressing herI think, Babadok is a new wave of New Brave World philosophical cinema where characters materialize their fears, hate, and inner evils into popular folk villains. Bottom line, woman who is so fed up with her autistic child’s behavior, diverges her hatred toward him (her child) and ex-husband (also genetically accountable for a child being physically unbearable). She expressing her contradictory feelings toward boy who drives her crazy in form of folkloric hallucinations which are at the same time support her madness, propelling the plot forward. In reality, Babadook is an identity of her madness which many mothers with many autistic children would go through. The director’s vision defined this feeling and mapped it with strong intense diabolic association. The importance of this movie is conserved between lines of its symbolism, showing a real feelings of rage that overpowers autistic mother in distress and agony. At the end, she comes in terms with her hate which is real and it is normal. Sometimes, we have to come in terms with ugly side of our psychos. Remarkable that movie will have hard time among all that sugar-coated political correctness where mothers are supposed to be religiously programmed for good only zombies who never feel anything diabolic at all. So, the symbolism might skip many closed minds and remain in the pool of B- horror flicks from Aussie weird artsy mind. Expand
  54. Dec 16, 2014
    A certianly above average horror film, The Babadook is somewhat familiar but, (for the most part) well done. The big crippilng flaw I found with this film is the main child actor who was pretty crap to be honest. Also, the movie isn't really scary. Even so, I was moderately entertained by the story and great performance from the lead actress, that I can say The Babadook is at least worth look.
  55. Dec 29, 2014
    Highly praised, but I don't get it. Starts building tension but somehow fails to hit the mark. The kid is just annoying. Decent work but nothing special.
  56. Jan 1, 2015
    Sublime. I can't believe this was made on just $30k. Sure, it looks gritty and less polished than the major hollywood fare, but it is genuinely chilling at times and is a pure psychological experience. People who hate this probably don't "get it". The actors are top notch, at first the kid annoyed me a lot - but he was brilliant for a child actor.
  57. Jan 8, 2015
    The Babadook is simply scary and disturbing and keeps you on the edge of your seat till the very end like any great horror movie should. Essie Davis is truly brilliant as the scream queen in this instant horror classic. The Babadook is just disturbing and is filled with twists and turns that will make any horror fan fall in love. I will definitely not be surprised if come decades end theThe Babadook is simply scary and disturbing and keeps you on the edge of your seat till the very end like any great horror movie should. Essie Davis is truly brilliant as the scream queen in this instant horror classic. The Babadook is just disturbing and is filled with twists and turns that will make any horror fan fall in love. I will definitely not be surprised if come decades end the Babadook is given the crown of best horror film of the 2010s. Expand
  58. Jan 10, 2015
    Just to put it out there, I loved this movie. When I saw the trailer for The Babadook, I was hooked and, when I saw all the rave reviews it got, I was really excited. Then I saw the movie and I was sure that this was an awesome movie. Essie Davis is spectacular, the music in the background sets the mood perfectly and the way it is filmed just adds to its overall creep factor. Also, I mustJust to put it out there, I loved this movie. When I saw the trailer for The Babadook, I was hooked and, when I saw all the rave reviews it got, I was really excited. Then I saw the movie and I was sure that this was an awesome movie. Essie Davis is spectacular, the music in the background sets the mood perfectly and the way it is filmed just adds to its overall creep factor. Also, I must give this movie kudos for its use of symbolism and for it being the FIRST MOVIE of what should become Jennifer Kent's long and successful film career. Expand
  59. Jan 11, 2015
    I haven't stopped thinking about THE BABADOOK since I saw it. In fact, I can hardly keep myself from SAYING BABADOOK or Ba ba ba DOOK DOOK DOOK. Truly the most memorable film of recent years for me. Great stuff.
  60. Jan 28, 2015
    It has been ages since I haven't seen such a great horror film. Great characters, plot, and themes to discuss afterwards. It is a modern classic. Give it a try!!
  61. Feb 19, 2015
    This film gets really quite scary the whole book monster coming to life and the fact the monster looks like a load of jackets hung up sort of makes it quite hard to sleep at night because the film makes it feel so real and gets into your head.

But after a while the film just goes west and loses it a bit, all of sudden the fear sort of goes and you just sat there utterly confused by what's going on and the ending isn't really what I wanted to happen.

Some people say that the child in the film is really annoying and a reason to not like the film but he's obviously meant to be annoying and weird, he's annoying everyone around him so the director wants the audience to get wound up also by the kid.

Well worth a watch for the first 3/4 of the film even if the ending does lose its way a bit.
  62. Feb 21, 2015
    itd be nice if the movie didn't have a masturbation scene...but the little boy was a great little actor and great mother casting job.....such a good push out of the treehouse....loved it...loved how it seemed like the mom wanted the sedatives for herself kinda...i love horror movies because it really is what its like to be ugly....also i found that it looked like a giant hat was on theitd be nice if the movie didn't have a masturbation scene...but the little boy was a great little actor and great mother casting job.....such a good push out of the treehouse....loved it...loved how it seemed like the mom wanted the sedatives for herself kinda...i love horror movies because it really is what its like to be ugly....also i found that it looked like a giant hat was on the kids bed after the floating mom scene and she walks in his room to check on him...it was clearly designed that way...it seemed like the camera started to focus on her ass once it entered her.....coincidence...? No Expand
  63. Feb 14, 2015
    I believe that this is possibly one of the best horrors to be made in recent years. However, i believe the user score is not as high as people have become accustomed to and expectant of a overused horror trope nowadays: the jump scare. This film has no jumpscares what so ever and this is why some people may not like it as much as they expect to s**t themselves for a second and then be "allI believe that this is possibly one of the best horrors to be made in recent years. However, i believe the user score is not as high as people have become accustomed to and expectant of a overused horror trope nowadays: the jump scare. This film has no jumpscares what so ever and this is why some people may not like it as much as they expect to s**t themselves for a second and then be "all is okay now". The thing that makes the Babadook so scary is that it relies on psychological horror and it's engaging and complex storyline that can actually be dissected and analysed instead of most horror films typical "this person is possessed, save them" or "there is a monster coming to kill us, we must run" or "there's ghosts haunting us". This films psychological horror really is a breath of fresh air as it's eerie, dark and ambiguous tone and atmosphere really send shivers done your spine. This never makes you jump really, but more makes you feel uncomfortable and unsettled. The performances are spot on by Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman plays his role excellently: he seems annoying and ungrateful and then turns sympathetic and understandable. 10/10 for creating an original horror that good es back to it's roots; it wants to chill you for days instead of make you jump for a few seconds. One of the classics of horror now. 10/10. Bravo to Jennifer Kent for creating this masterpiece. Expand
  64. Mar 11, 2015
    Assembles a claustrophobic atmosphere unlike any other horror film of late. The story itself is very symbolic, and once you understand the allegories it projects, it is all the more haunting. There are a few scenes in particular that are so intense, so laced with dread, that you just might turn the lights back on and take a pause. An abnormally complex horror drama, and it deserves everyAssembles a claustrophobic atmosphere unlike any other horror film of late. The story itself is very symbolic, and once you understand the allegories it projects, it is all the more haunting. There are a few scenes in particular that are so intense, so laced with dread, that you just might turn the lights back on and take a pause. An abnormally complex horror drama, and it deserves every ounce of praise it receives. Expand
  65. Mar 6, 2015
    The Babadook is a truly terrifying movie. Essie Davis gives an amazing performance that should have earned her a best actress nomination and the characters are very believable and not stupid adding to the level of horror. the cinematography is excellent and it takes the possession movie a tired and overdone genre and reinvigorates in way that is cleaver and creepy as hell, seriously giveThe Babadook is a truly terrifying movie. Essie Davis gives an amazing performance that should have earned her a best actress nomination and the characters are very believable and not stupid adding to the level of horror. the cinematography is excellent and it takes the possession movie a tired and overdone genre and reinvigorates in way that is cleaver and creepy as hell, seriously give this one a watch it's an excellent example of the horror genre Expand
  66. Mar 7, 2015
    I can't believe that some well established critics called this "a movie of the year". (namely Mark Kermode).

The movie was NOT scary one tiny bit. The actual "scary moments" made me laugh.

Maybe if someone can actually be scared by a cartoony character from a children's book, then this movie might be actually for him.

On the plus side, actor performances were on the good side.
  67. Mar 10, 2015
    Finally a good horror film with no annoying jump scares.

When a disturbing storybook called 'The Babadook' turns up at their house, Samuel is convinced that the Babadook is the creature he's been dreaming about. His hallucinations spiral out of control, he becomes more unpredictable and violent. Amelia, genuinely frightened by her son's behaviour, is forced to medicate him. They are
    Finally a good horror film with no annoying jump scares.

They are so many bad horror films out there right now that I'm pretty tired and sick of seeing, but The Babadook is not like those films. This horror movie did something that Annabelle or Ouija couldn't do, and that is try to be original and scary.

Babadook is a movie that got under my skin if I got to be honest. The chilling and uneasy atmosphere and it's sense of fear that this movie truly nails it for me and not like most horror films today that lost that sense fear and just allow on lazy Jump scars. The acting in this movie was so real and so top notch that I got to say that Essie Davis did excellent in this movie, even the little kid did good.

The other thing that this movie get's right is the fact it says "F'ck jump scares", and tries to scary the viewing auditions and not be throwing loud sounds to make some people jump a little bit, no it goes for the good old fashioned method of a good horror film and that is showing frighting images that will stick in your mind until the movie is over.

My only problems with this movie is it's slow at the beginning and the ending to the movie was a bit ridiculous if I got to say.

But overall The Babadook is more than you're cliche monster movie, it focus on doubt's and depression which made the movie even scary, because if you got doubt's and depression running throw your head and meanwhile there might be something out there after you and your kid then it can mess with your mind and cause terror.
  68. Mar 13, 2015
    As a horror movie, this movie suffers from what a lot of decent horror movies do today.An intriguing build-up, with an unsatisfying ending that completely goes against the rest of the movie. In fact, the beginning to the last 20 minutes was EXTREMELY promising. A fantastic introduction to the Babadook entity, and a few thrilling sequences. The acting was also great. By both the woman andAs a horror movie, this movie suffers from what a lot of decent horror movies do today.An intriguing build-up, with an unsatisfying ending that completely goes against the rest of the movie. In fact, the beginning to the last 20 minutes was EXTREMELY promising. A fantastic introduction to the Babadook entity, and a few thrilling sequences. The acting was also great. By both the woman and the son. But, again. That ending. it just crushed me. Expand

1. Reviewed by: John Semley
    Mar 5, 2015
    The Babadook is too deliberately calibrated to prove truly terrifying.
  2. Reviewed by: Thomas Lee
    Jan 15, 2015
    At its heart, The Babadook is a story of mother and son, whose relationship ultimately determines whether they survive the demon — or die trying.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Roeper
    Dec 18, 2014
    This is the scariest movie of the year.