6.7

1. Apr 3, 2014
    Not only is it poorly acted but it features a plot that was so painfully slow that it failed to keep you even remotely interested in it. How they consider this one of the scariest films of all time completely baffles me.
  2. Apr 1, 2014
    The Blair Witch Project is one chillingly suspenseful movie. It uses what isn't there instead of what is to create thrills, and the "found-footage" aspect makes it seems more realistic, which makes it more scary. If you can get past the shaky cam and low quality of the film, this is a great "mockumentary" to watch on a Friday night.
  3. Mar 26, 2014
    The Blair Witch is at no point overdone, nor a tad bit boring in any single second of any minute. The Blair Witch is a gripping, mysterious film that uses barely the location and the stories told by characters further to the beginning of the film to keep you suspended and immensely spooked out for the duration of the film, but mostly afterwards. Boring? Most definitely not, The Blair Witch is a stroke of genius. End of. Expand
  4. Feb 7, 2014
    This film is painfully slow, and has definitely not aged well, but any horror film fan should watch this, as it is a classic. The whole film is improvised, but it is a good film for an improvised one. However, it is still not great.
  5. Feb 1, 2014
    "The Blair Witch Project" es una buena pelicula de suspenso, con momentos entretenidos y desesperantes; lo malo de esta pelicula es que tiene el elemento sorpresa, que hace que nos de curiosidad de lo que va a pasar, pero no pasa nada.
  6. Nov 8, 2013
    While there is now technology that is terrifying, what we don't see is what we fear most, and "The Blair Witch Project" proves it. It might seem to generations that it is an old movie and a cheap one too, "The Blair Witch Project" stands out as one of the most impressive work in the horror industry, absolutely and highly recommended.
  7. Oct 5, 2013
    It's not terrible. It has one or two creepy moments. It's just that so much of it comes across as stupid and badly improvised that it can't be saved. I like the found footage idea, and the premise is alright, but the camerawork is so shaky and blurry that half the time you can't tell what's going on. I've seen worse horror movies before, but I think the critics must have all been in a really good mood when they went to see this. That or they were high, cause this was definitely not an 81 in my opinion. Expand
  8. Aug 5, 2013
    Although many people didn't find it scary, I though it was really scary. Just because you can't see the 'creature' you don't know if it's really there or not, that's what makes this movie so original and realistic. I've seen many more horror movies like Evil Dead (all of them), Paranormal Activity, 28 Days Later, The Descent, 1408, The Exorcist,... in all of these movies the 'creatures' are shown though I didn't find it scary at all.

The Blair Witch Project has the 'camcorder' effect which I really like in movies, makes it more scary, in my opinion. I've seen many other 'camcorder' effect movies like Cloverfield but The Blair Witch Project was for me the best one.

This movie is one of my favorite horror movies, and I see it every year at Halloween. Very good movie, although I can agree with people why they don't really like it.
  9. Jul 24, 2013
    Alright, this movie isn't too scary on it's own. I'll admit that. But you know what made this movie especially terrifying for me? I went into the woods a week after watching this movie. If you and your buddies are going to go camping any time soon, I highly advise making them watch this movie ahead of time so that their brains will be when you're all doing a night trek through a forest.

This movie did some things exceptionally well:
    1) the first person story telling was very captivating and really put you inside the character's shoes
    2) this movie doesn't have background music in it (except the beginning when they're in the car) which really makes the audience guess and interpret different scenes in this movie
    3) it really creeps the crap out of you.

If you're looking for an "in the moment pop up scary" type of movie, you will be disappointed with Blair witch project. BUT if you are looking for a truly terrifying experience, watch this entire movie with the mentality that everything in it is based off of a true story, then go camping with a bunch of friends. and make sure you do a night trek through the woods (stoned if at all possible). You will your pants.
  10. Jul 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was great! It had many astonishing and adrenaline rushing moments. It will keep you on the edge of your seat the whole movie. This movie is based on a true story. This fact makes the movie even scarier to think what actually happened to these people. I highly recommend that you watch this movie! Expand
  11. Jul 3, 2013
    This is why there are so many found footage movies out there now! Because The Blair Witch Project is awesome! Its brilliantly presented, wonderfully executed, well acted, groundbreaking, chilling, thrilling, creepy and suspenseful! Watch the movie that invented the found footage genre, see where it all began. Because, found footage movies had a GREAT start! If you don't like scary movies, don't watch this, you will be scared, the movie still holds up today as a creepy ass film! It just goes to show that even with a low budget, you can still do some great things. Expand
  12. Jun 11, 2013
    The most scariest part of anything, is never seeing whats coming along your way, when you hear creaky sounds at home or in anywhere without seeing any ghost or demon or spirit, it is chilling and really terrifying, because you keep wondering and saying "what if" that what The Blair Witch Project Holds.
  13. Jun 9, 2013
    seriously this film is the worst. I can't even imagine that it was successful. Why people liked this movie? Was it scary? No Did it have a good plot? No. As a horror movie it's awful as a documentary it's ok. I watched it untill the end just to see what happens because i read it was scary. You give to this film 81/100 and in Saw 46/100. Bad movie is still a bad movie, critics can't change the quality of a film. Thumbs down! Don't waste your time Expand
  14. May 5, 2013
    THE GOOD: I will keep this review fairly short.

THE BAD: I will never get back the 81min run time that this film has.

OVERALL: As you can tell, I'm not a fan of the film and could hack away at it all night penalising it's tacky use of camera, story, 'actors' and so on but I do have to say as a film buff myself that this film is extremely dated as of 2013 and will only become more so,
    obviously, from now on. This film was made on an extremely low budget as reflected and credibility has to go towards the marketing scheme of making people believe there is some truth to it, allowing the film to skyrocket in profit. All of which can be completely reciprocated for Paranormal Activity (Although I won't insult that QUITE as much in another film's review).
    I would advise this film for people more linked with cult followings in the film market and can admire the lowest of budgeting reflected in the film itself. But no matter of my opinion, remember as film goers to always keep an open mind either way!
  15. Apr 10, 2013
    One knows that a film Is genuinely 'scary' when there is a constant amount of suspense. Not once did I see the witches nor was I scared, u don't leave the film to the end for action to arrive.
  16. Nov 14, 2012
    Many people say it's old-fashion to see this movie now because there are a lot of scary movie better than this one. But I don't agree with that, I think TBWP can still scary out **** of me. It's raw and everything in the movie is like reality. Also the performance of the actor is awesome. I can feel their desperation and scare from the movie.
  17. Jul 31, 2012
    A genuinely frightening film. With some good improvised acting and great filming techniques for a found footage film. A must watch in the middle of the night
  18. Jul 8, 2012
    One of the scariest films ever. Plays on everyone
  19. Jul 5, 2012
    One of the scariest films ever. Plays on everyones fear, the dark, the unknown, the feeling of being trapped, and death. The film is played out through handheld camera, but this adds to fear, giving the film a sense of realism, making you think the film actually happened. The acting is very naturalistic, and in a rare case, the improvised script makes the film feel again more real, as if they would react in this way. The film is clear proof that in most cases not seeing the monster is scarier, for we imagine what is going on out there, or how we would be in that situation. The final sequence will easily go down as one of the best endings in history, and easily the scariest, playing on our minds after we leave the cinema, leaving a lot to the imagination. As a whole the movie is more terrifying after you leave than while watching even though you will undoubtedly gasp at certain scenes. Expand
  20. Apr 3, 2012
    One of the dumbest, boring, and non scary films ever made. I have never seen a movie that lacks so much in what it takes to make a scary movie. No music, no suspense, and the worst of all offers nothing at all but one of the worst endings to a movie ever created. Total garbage.
  21. Apr 3, 2012
    It was no big deal at all. I guess it would be a lot scarier if anything actually happened. It give it credit for going ahead and filming it differently than all other movies, but it was just bad. No interest in ever seeing it again.
  22. Feb 11, 2012
    At a time when digital techniques can show us almost anything, The Blair Witch Project is a reminder that what really scares us is the stuff we can't see.
  23. Jan 15, 2012
    I saw this movie a few months ago for the first time, and do not understand at all the hype over this movie. The Blair Witch project was undoubtedly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The acting was absolutely horrendous, and it was impossible to sympathize with the characters. Heather, annoying brat that she was, insisted on filming EVERYTHING. Even as the other two guys were screaming at her to turn it off, she had to film every moment of their downfall. Her annoying voice was enough to make me hate this movie from the start, not to mention the series of ridiculously moronic things that these kids did from start to finish, from throwing their map into the river, to going into the woods without listening or paying attention to the people they interviewed about it. Pretty much nothing happened the whole movie except watching them argue with each other. The vague things that were supposed to scare us did nothing but make the story line more paper thin than it already was. The ending was stupid, and barely made sense even when you knew what was supposed to be happening. Even as Heather is walking up the stairs expecting to find her friend dead, she is STILL filming. It was completely unrealistic. The only terrifying thing about this movie is the fact that it is so popular. I think Family Guy did a perfect summary of the movie when Brian was explaining the movie while watching it with a blind guy. He said "They're in the woods. The camera keeps moving around. I guess they're looking for some witch, I don't know, I wasn't listening. Nothings happening................nothings happening.................something about a map..nothings happening.... Its over. A lot of people in the audience looked pissed." Expand
  24. Dec 8, 2011
    An urban legend getting an American production above the average, even with amateurish technical about. However, this is the great charm of the film, to bring a touch of reality to something that frightens people, while not real. With an unstable nature documentary footage, the two rookies directors, Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez, lead an unusual thriller that explores witchcraft in a peculiar way and extremely evil. What is most interesting in this production, is the fact that directors can create fear in the viewer, without the least show directly the source responsible for it. Imagine what you can not see. How can you not be afraid of it?

The power of an urban legend is something that can be measured against the influence which it carries in the middle. In some cases, above the power is so vast that people around the world are interested in such stories. Based on this concept of influence, the plot of this production is a journey of three film students, to explore the long- cherished legend of the Blair Witch, however, what is shown on the screen, are just the roll of film found by police, after the mysterious disappearance of young people. Starting from a premise that the suspense has good things to come, the two directors work in the background that is extremely favorable for the development of the script.

The amateur footage further contributes to the enhancement of the heavy atmosphere, which is already present in the photography involved. The naturalness of it is the factor that close ties to production reality. The sound system works like a soundtrack orchestrated by a great professional who knows very well to put it in the context of the film. Adding these two questions film, photography and soundtrack, we get a product that pleases and amazes the viewer, while every sudden movement of the camera. It is clear in this production, the film does not require cutting-edge technological improvement, to satisfy your audience.

The script is working well and can, from the start, accumulating records that direct the viewer to understand the outcome. The development of the argument is a gradation of psychological conflicts of each character, which tracks the tempo until the final minute. Playing with the psyche of each character , the filmmakers create claustrophobic situations that reflect the viewer, keeping it stuck in that atmosphere without answers and with every move closer and with a look at the picture provided by amateur camera in the darkness of night, where the script comes to apex of the gloom .

Combining certain techniques is a superlative effort to create something new, taking the proper proportions of gender addressed. Working from the premise peculiar form, the script can do justice to what is stipulated in your synopsis so enjoyable and interesting for the audience. The technique is not mainly attributed to technology, but on good ideas, falling in the right hands. Exercising a right direction and leading the film gradually, the two rookies prove that gender is not lost, but it takes a few bumps to get it moving again.
  25. Nov 17, 2011
    There is a lot of hype about the Blair Witch Project but I'm just not getting it. The movie did not really scare me in any way nor did even entertain me. There were no scares for me and just seemed like a drag on. The plot is not really the best, all I saw it as was some college kids get lost in the woods and they are being hunted by some entity but I didn't feel scared once, well there were some scary moments but not really that scary. I got to give credit to the acting though, it was good but the dialogue was just cursing and cursing and cursing, not good. Overall The Blair Witch Project is an alright movie, maybe you will understand it better than me but I just didn't get any scares and walked off dissapointed. Breakdown for "The Blair Witch Project": Presentation: 6.5, Plot: 7, Acting: 7.5, Dialogue: 4.8, Lasting Appeal: 5. Score: 5.5 out of 10 "Average" Expand
  26. Sep 18, 2011
    Although the movie smells old and cheap, "The Blair Witch Project" is one of the standing point movies of the 'psychological horror'. It will scare the **** out of you.
  27. Aug 18, 2011
    I Thought that The Blair Witch Project Wasnt that good at all. Sure it was made to look like a Home Video Type of thing but it isnt realistic and there is basically No Plot This is a Over Hyped Movie that really is bad because i Dont Believe that Some Witch Did something to make campers not be able to find thier way back in real life that kind of thing doesnt happen and i think if this was recorded like a normal movie everyone would hate it and people just like it because its filmed like a home movie to make it seem like something out of the ordinary could actully happen Expand
  28. May 2, 2011
    When me and my friends watched this last Halloween, we were expecting a horrifying movie that would give us nightmares and a lot of stories to tell at school after. Instead what we got was an hour and a half of shaky cameras, mediocre acting and an ending that is more laughable than scary. A letdown for people who are looking for a good movie to watch on the aforementioned holiday.
  29. Apr 29, 2011
    I've got to be honest, I didn't find it scary... at all. The tent shaking?! I suppose the way the marketed it to start with - as if it were a true event - was a good strategy, but beside that it just isn't scary. I wasn't on the edge of my seat, I was lying down on it snoring. The only reason it gets a 3 is for originality, but that's about it.
  30. Apr 15, 2011
    I **** hated this movie, it was darn stupid. I would have been ashamed to be part in this box office piece of **** I have nothing against the director but I just hated the movie.
  31. Feb 26, 2011
    Now this movie, what a load of crap this was. It had no scare factor at all, I don't get why people are giving this good reviews overall. This movie has about the same scare factor as me getting out of bed. The whole movie was just four people walking through the woods pretending to be scared. Also, despite the way it looks, its not actually based off true events, its just based loosely off a legend but thats it. The actors got paid, so their obviously not dead. Expand
  32. Jan 12, 2011
    Think the critics have this pegged better than the users for a change. If anything this movie is under-rated because it totally broke from the scary movie, bloody horror norm. Unless it's really happening to you it's hard to capture truly being scared but this movie comes close. Certainly not the budget of The Ring or Sixth Sense but still pretty good.
  33. Dec 6, 2010
    I love tis movie. I know a lot of people say this movie isn't scary. this movie is scary in its own way. I think they did a good job with the idea of this movie. This movie is kind of scary at some parts. This was a good idea for a movie. One of the best horror movies ever made. This is on my list for best horror movie. I love this movie its really good.
  34. Oct 26, 2010
    This film is most definitely the most horrifying movie I have ever seen, as well as my favorite horror film to date. Everyone who says there are no scary elements in this film are used to the current habit of American film to a.) make everything as gory, violent, testosterone-filled, and nonsensical as possible, and b.) rip off other countries' movies (and do so poorly - THE GRUDGE!!!). The Blair Witch Project is the embodiment of the human race's greatest fear: to be in a situation out of your control, to have your actions forced like a hamster in a maze. Also, I find the idea of not actually showing what is chasing them through the forest fascinating; your mind is left to wander upon the most terrible image you can muster, and it grows on you like a virus. The most exceptionally terrifying movie ever made; love it forever! :D Expand
  35. Aug 21, 2010
    what a horrable film now i know they where trying to make this look like it was a actaul film that really happend and trying to make it seem scary but it was a epic fail. first off i found nothing about this film sacry period . i saw it more as 3 dumb ugly teenagers acting like abunch of morons running around the woods with there heads cut off . with the worst camera shots possable . just because some thing sounds like a original idea doesnt mean its a good one . Expand
  36. Aug 16, 2010
    Completely horrifying, maybe the scariest film ever made. I pray to the movie gods that somehow this thing gets back into theaters so we can enjoy being terrified by this masterpiece with a room full of crowded anxious strangers. Don't be surprised if this film doesn't make you jump very much (especially if you're just sitting at home watching it by yourself), but it will haunt your dreams and keep you up at night with its intense creepiness. Do not see this if you are remotely afraid of the woods or the dark. Expand
  37. Aug 16, 2010
    This is a very good film. films tend not to scare me, but i can definitely see why this would scare others. it is definitely a film not to watch alone. the acting is good and the general storyline is amazing. The producers did a great job of making everyone think that it was real, and nothing seems to disappoint.
    this is a very good film. ALMOST scared me, which means it may well scare
    you!!
    this is a must see, i realise that it gained mixed reviews. thus, you should watch it just in case you are like me; someone who very much considers this film a classic.

1. Reviewed by: Gemma Files
    Man, I just can't recommend this enough.
  2. The what-you-don't-see element makes this an excellent film for people with overactive imaginations, and if that's you, it will scare the living crap out of you.
  3. An ultra-cheap movie, ingeniously promoted through the Internet -- is notable primarily as a model of guerrilla-style niche-marketing.