The Bling Ring

• Studio: A24
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
6.3

1. Jun 23, 2013
    Based on a true story about a group of truly clueless CA girls and their gay bestie, who are obsessed with fashion, money and fame. They get their fix and kicks by robbing the homes of celebs (yes, they actually shot in Paris HIlton's real home). The thin plot revolves around them hanging out, trying on clothes, doing drugs and "shopping" in the famous homes. The cast is believable withBased on a true story about a group of truly clueless CA girls and their gay bestie, who are obsessed with fashion, money and fame. They get their fix and kicks by robbing the homes of celebs (yes, they actually shot in Paris HIlton's real home). The thin plot revolves around them hanging out, trying on clothes, doing drugs and "shopping" in the famous homes. The cast is believable with Emma Watson perfectly capturing their superficial ignorance. The film is dominated by superficial chatter, cool music and flash. Appropriately, writer/director Sophia Coppola chose no depth to the character development or subject matter, just a showy episodic montage. Expand
  2. Sep 2, 2014
    Taken from numerous real-life instances, the Bling Ring is a fascinating look at teenagers and their mischievousness with celebrities in Los Angeles. Sofia Coppola. still, at the top of her game.
  3. Jun 15, 2013
    Most of Sofia Coppola’s films take an ambivalent attitude toward fame, but The Bling Ring tackles the subject from a slight remove. The movie opens with a nighttime robbery, as teens scale a fence and slip, ninja-like, onto what at first glance would appear to be a well-secured property. As the film jumps forward to their capture and then flashes back to tell their story (mitigated throughMost of Sofia Coppola’s films take an ambivalent attitude toward fame, but The Bling Ring tackles the subject from a slight remove. The movie opens with a nighttime robbery, as teens scale a fence and slip, ninja-like, onto what at first glance would appear to be a well-secured property. As the film jumps forward to their capture and then flashes back to tell their story (mitigated through media interviews), The Bling Ring clarifies that this is Orlando Bloom’s house. But the prologue—and its security-cam, night-vision POV—establishes the movie’s unusual dual perspective. This is a tale of obsessive fans, superficially unfolding from their version of events but observed by Hollywood royalty, passively watching as onlookers storm the castle. Based on a Vanity Fair article by Nancy Jo Sales, The Bling Ring is inspired by an actual 2008–2009 rash of L.A.-area robberies, when a group of high-schoolers from Calabasas, California, managed to invade the estates of Bloom, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Megan Fox, and others, helping themselves to whatever they wanted. As the movie tells it, the spree begins when a smiling sociopath (Katie Chang) ropes the new kid in “dropout school” (Israel Broussard) into breaking into a friend’s house. Soon their sights turn to celebrities. It’s easy to know when “Paris” is out of town because of “news” on the Internet—and apparently she, too, leaves her keys under the mat. As the ring expands to include the duo’s friends (notably ones played by Emma Watson, who steals the movie, and Taissa Farmiga, Vera’s younger sister), The Bling Ring quietly ponders entitlement culture. In one sense, there’s not much separating these hard-partying, brand-blinded teens from Lindsay Lohan, nabbed for shoplifting at around the same time. Dedicated to the late cinematographer Harris Savides, who was unable to complete filming, The Bling Ring shoots each robbery with a perverse matter-of-factness. It’s easily Coppola’s least flashy film, but that’s not to say it lacks poetry—the burglarizing of Hills star Audrina Patridge’s home is shown in a single, gorgeous long shot. If the tone of lyrical crime saga has critics name-checking Spring Breakers (the portrait of adolescent ineptitude also recalls Larry Clark’s Bully), The Bling Ring isn’t so much interested in provocation as sociology. Manufacturing this sort of fame is an exercise in mutual exploitation. Ostensibly victimized by the thefts, Paris Hilton is apparently healed enough to contribute a cameo—and flattered enough to allow Coppola to film in what’s reportedly her actual home. The movie captures a moment when the lines separating anonymity, fame, and notoriety are finer than ever. And as Watson’s social climber prattles on to reporters about what a great “learning lesson” her criminal experience has been, it’s easy to see another star in the making. Expand
  4. Oct 11, 2014
    The Bling Ring is a purposely vapid movie about vapid people and culture. It lacks deep emotions and dialogue... But that's exactly the point, isn't it. How do you go about scoring a film that is all style and no substance but is so to enforce an ironic (and well made) point about society? This movie messes with my intellect... Arrrrgh!
  5. Sep 10, 2013
    The bling ring though is is hard to believe that all this was true it is an entertaining film and has a really great storyline. I like that I saw Emma Watson in something different and Taissa Farmiga too. Nothing more to say. The direction and the cinematography were ok. But the film is entertaining and good in general.
  6. Jun 28, 2013
    "The Bling Ring" is an interesting film. It delves into our internet celebrity obsessed culture. How we pay more attention to the hottest gossip as apposed to what really matter. The social commentary part of the script is actually quite intelligent. However, there is one downside, the dialogue is kinda “meh." It’s either unnatural or kind of forced.

Sofia Coppola’s direction is pretty

Sofia Coppola’s direction is pretty good. She gets some interesting shots and really cool slow pans that let us absorb the ambiance. However, at times there is a home movie feel. The soundtrack is filled with energy and enhances the movie to a good enjoyable time. There’s a lot of modern music and it adds a nice effect to the tone that the film is trying to set.

The characters are interesting and have depth behind them, but the film never delves into the psyche of the characters. Acting on the other hand is really hit or miss. Emma Watson as Nikki, an up and coming bimbo actress, is probably the best acted. Her character really shows how even with a great upbringing, stupidity and surrounding yourself with not so great people can bring you down. Israel Broussard is also pretty good in this film as he becomes the relatable character. He is just as bad as everyone else, but he realizes what he’s doing is bad. Katie Chang is not that great. She usually talks really soft and some of her line delivery is unconvincing. The other actors are okay as some of the lines are cringe worthy, but as the movie progresses they do get better though.

Overall, “The Bling Ring" is a solid movie that is entertaining. The high energy really keeps your interest and their is some intelligence to the script. The dialogue is pretty lame and some of the acting can be cringe-worthy. I give it a high 3.5/5, entertaining with high energy and interesting premise, but stronger performances and better dialogue could have made it something special.
  7. Jul 11, 2013
    The Bling Ring is first rate, enjoyable and absorbing movie that is thought provoking, clever and fascinating, with good performances and great plot that should be given a shot. It is beautifully crafted and unique in style, with riveting direction (Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation), and a charming photography. By far, it is is one of the best movies 2013.
  8. Jun 22, 2013
    Beautifully crafted film, without a doubt. The only critique I have is that I wished Sofia could have broken the surface of the frame of the film and show more about why the kids do what they do.
  9. Nov 23, 2014
    Summary: The Bling Ring is skillfully well filmed, entertaining and boasts a truly great performance from Emma Watson. 73/100 [B-]

Based on a true story The Bling Ring takes us inside the world of these teens, where their youthful naivete and excitement is amplified by today's culture of celebrity and luxury brand obsession. The members of the Bling Ring introduce us to temptations that any teenager would find hard to resist. And what starts out as youthful fun spins out of control, revealing a sobering view of our modern culture. That's the plot of the film, let me say that it was very enjoyable and it has a very short running time (90 min), so it was not boring at all.

I saw in 2011 a Lifetime TV film called "The Bling Ring" starring Austin Butler and Yin Chang, I liked it, it was a well done flick, despite its low-budget. Then I noticed that they were making another movie based on the same story and I enjoyed it too. It's basically the same film but with a few changes. The characters here are weird but they're still believable and pretty likable, Nicki (Emma Watson), Marc (Israel Broussard) and the worried mom Laurie (Leslie Mann) did an awesome job here such as the rest of the cast.

I also like the camera work, the film boasts some nice shots of these awesome houses being robbed. Moving on, even though some of the characters are not completely engaging, I believe that some teens in the audience will feel identified with some of them. The best actress in the film is Emma Watson she is hilarious and her performance was gleefully enjoyable. In conclusion, The Bling Ring (2013) is not as engaging as the 2011 film, but it's still a well done flick with an awesome cast and some social commentary. [B-]
  10. Sep 6, 2013
    Swift, satirical and nicely filmed; ‘The Bling Ring’ proved to be quite a treat. The movie follows a group of privileged teens who begin robbing the homes of celebrities to feed their obsession of the celebrity lifestyle, and the glitz and glam that comes along with it. As you would expect these rich teens are as slight as their plot to rob the homes of famous people; and that’s what madeSwift, satirical and nicely filmed; ‘The Bling Ring’ proved to be quite a treat. The movie follows a group of privileged teens who begin robbing the homes of celebrities to feed their obsession of the celebrity lifestyle, and the glitz and glam that comes along with it. As you would expect these rich teens are as slight as their plot to rob the homes of famous people; and that’s what made this such a fascinating movie to watch. Director Sofia Coppola’s decision to add little depth to the members of the bling ring, made this character study of the shallow privileged, darkly humorous and quite substantial in its own way. The story was smartly structured and moved at a clip, and the soundtrack fit the material well. The ensemble cast did a great job, channeling their best valley girl (and guy) personas to their respective roles. Vapid materialism, reckless, self-centered and extremely irritating; the cast nailed all these characteristics perfectly. Despite the strength of the group, it’s worth noting that Emma Watson’s performance was particularly fantastic, proving that she is a serious talent to watch out for. Coppola is no stranger when it comes to making films about the rich and famous, and ‘The Bling Ring’ fits perfectly in her little collection. It may not be profound, but it’s a timely treat that delivered what was intended. Expand
  11. Jun 23, 2013
    An enjoyable movie albeit horrifying. It's ironic that the actresses in the film such as Emma Watson may lead lives equally as narcissistic as the characters they play. I love how Coppola's examines the useless, creepiness of Facebook. The movie challenges the public to reexamine values and hopefully make changes.
  12. Jul 26, 2015
    Holy sh*t this movie was good! God sake it was so enjoyable to watch and it had good actors who performed really well! You should check out this movie.
  13. Sep 17, 2014
    This movie isn't boring as the documentaries usually are, it's different, cool, funny, dramatic and i totally loved it. You all should watch it.... (:
  14. Sep 24, 2013
    The Bling Ring is one of my favorite movies of this year, the story is really interesting, and the development can be slow in some moments, but is great. The script is fantastic, the music is cool and the performances are awesome. Amazing movie.
  15. Jul 13, 2013
    Very subtle, smart, acerbic, and funny. Just be prepared for how realistic it is. The direction and acting is stellar, with both constantly poking fun at the privileged stupidity of the suspects, with their dialogue, intentional fake crying, and dumb white girl mentality.

I saw some reviews saying that it didn't explore the motives of the robbers, but the film did: they just wanted fame and its lifestyle. It's pretty simplistic, because they themselves are simple minded. I wasn't bored because the real life events are sensationally
    entertaining so I was interested the whole time.

I loved the social commentary on these people and their characterization; nothing is made much of because the people are stupid as hell. Marc's homosexuality is ditched because although it's part of who his is, it's irrelevant to the overall story. Emma Watson cracked me up with her performance, and the acting all around was very good and well
    suited to given situations, being annoying or "innocent" when it's warranted. She and Israel Broussard gave some good subtle statements which provoke thoughts regarding the severity and motives of their crimes.

This is a film that has nearly no intention on being fun, but instead bleak, and I applaud the filmmakers for that. This is "mood filmmaking." Many critics and users complained that the characters were one-dimensional and shallow which is true, but it's completely justified. Sofia Coppola created very real people; the dialogue, actions, and lack of conscience provided insight to how vapid these people really were, and the almost identical characterization of each person shows how lazy and dumb the robbers actually were. I also saw people getting mad at the perceived repetitiveness of the film, but, again, it's to show how lazy the kids were. They robbed celebrities over and over and the repetition displayed here shows, furthermore, how lazy and hedonistic these teens were. It gives a sense of realism to the film. It helps furthermore that the dialogue is so accurate to today's overprivileged teens. As a 16-year-old going on 17, this is exactly how these despicable people act; I know some people like this. Sofia Coppola and the actors managed to make these people interesting.

The fact that they filmed this in Paris Hilton's house is great, and added into the subtly there are some great jabs at celebrities. They call Paris Hilton's dog the wrong name and show no interest in a script right on Megan Fox's nightstand in lieu of sunglasses and lipstick. I saw that Sofia Coppola said that she wanted to tell the story from the kids' point of view, and it warranted the film to be shallow due to the tone's context. The whole film is very faithful to the real life events, so don't blame the writing for their easy entrances to the stupid celebrities' homes.

9.3/10, amazing, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.
  16. Sep 29, 2013
    the bling ring is an amazing film. i loved every thing about it. it was very well written. the acting was okay but not great. the bling ring is more of a teen movie but adults will probably like it too. if you like clothes and shopping then you will love this movie.
  17. Oct 26, 2014
    exelente filme com exelentes atores como Emma e Taissa que tiveram muito destaque no filme porem teve um furo como a camera de gravação nao pegou a personagem de taissa farmiga?
  18. Aug 9, 2013
    The filme was sooooooooooooo cool. All the parties, the thefts, every thing was showed how was to be. The acting was great, but Emma Watson and Taissa Farmiga was the great in this movie with the good soundtrack.
  19. Aug 9, 2013
    Everything was perfect!!!!!! I like the way that the obsession was showed, i liked the way that the thefts happens, everything was in the right way with no comebacks. One of the best of the year.
  20. Aug 9, 2013
    Great movie, great actors, great soundtrack, everything was great in this movie that makes me likes "The Bling Ring" like one of my favorites movies in the history.
  21. Jul 25, 2013
    Really expected more from Sophia Coppola on this one. She is such a talent, especially loved Somewhere (which pust me in the minority for sure) and Lost in Translation, but this one just kind of lost me. Performances were pretty good,t hough
  22. Jan 27, 2014
    I liked it. She portrayed these money-thirsty lime-light enthusiasts, perfectly. Emma Watson was like a whole new person. She she's her skins as hermoine, into this teenage girl who was greedy and didn't care if breaking law was involved. It was perfect. It wasn't all glamour, they spit some dirt at celebrities and all this expensive clothes. Go see it
  23. Jun 25, 2013
    The movie presents us with a group of teens during a span of one year and takes us on a ride in an attempt to capture a piece of the celebrity lifestyle that eventually results in an escapade of burglaries in which they steal from the very celebrities they admire. It is definitely more about the social commentary then detailed story telling of the actual events. This movie presented in aThe movie presents us with a group of teens during a span of one year and takes us on a ride in an attempt to capture a piece of the celebrity lifestyle that eventually results in an escapade of burglaries in which they steal from the very celebrities they admire. It is definitely more about the social commentary then detailed story telling of the actual events. This movie presented in a pseudo-documentary montage style that moves from scene to scene, and keeps the characters at a distance, therefore making it difficult to really know any of them. With exception of Marc, and maybe Nicki, played very well by Emma Watson, the rest of characters are shallow. We only know about the characters based on what they say and do on screen. It does not explain much or inject sympathy or condemnation of the teens, but merely shows the events and the results of their actions, very minimalistic film making. Expand
  24. Aug 13, 2013
    Solid. But if you're a half intelligent 20 something year old, the satire and criticism of The Bling Ring is something you're already well aware of. As a individual who actually grew up in LA, I quite enjoyed how hilariously accurate the portrayal of what lengths kids (particularly well off private school students) would go to in order to feel dignified, though albeit much lessSolid. But if you're a half intelligent 20 something year old, the satire and criticism of The Bling Ring is something you're already well aware of. As a individual who actually grew up in LA, I quite enjoyed how hilariously accurate the portrayal of what lengths kids (particularly well off private school students) would go to in order to feel dignified, though albeit much less sensationalized. But they lets be honest. You considered this movie because of Emma Watson, and yes, she's still worth matinee. Expand
  25. Aug 9, 2013
    A cool movie, for cool people. Just kidding, but i liked the movie in so many ways... The performance of most actors are great and how the movie is going to the end...was something good.
  26. Oct 19, 2013
    If you see it as a documentary, it helps. The story is good, realistic and and well explained. The fact that some scenes have a lack of soundtrack gives a boring feeling, so I don't think it worth the money of the ticket. As english is a foreign language for me, we usually study themes from actuality, such as teens (peer pressure, sleeping habits, school stress), technology( the pros andIf you see it as a documentary, it helps. The story is good, realistic and and well explained. The fact that some scenes have a lack of soundtrack gives a boring feeling, so I don't think it worth the money of the ticket. As english is a foreign language for me, we usually study themes from actuality, such as teens (peer pressure, sleeping habits, school stress), technology( the pros and cons, the internet) the environment, eating habits, etc. As this film joins the two first themes, this the type of film my english teacher would show us during class. I like the characters and their realism, and soundtrack when it's there) is quite good. I liked the movie, but it is not brilliant, it's just good. Expand
  27. Oct 27, 2013
    a bit douchy for my taste but the uniqe story makes up for it
    this movie showed two different side of teenagers today
    from glamour way of life to a hoodlum stealing atuff and get arrested is interesting

1. Reviewed by: Cath Clarke
    Jul 2, 2013
    This is easily Coppola’s funniest film. Leslie Mann is hilarious as Nicki’s phony spiritual mum.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    Jul 1, 2013
    Girls meets Ocean’s Eleven, The Bling Ring might be a film for right now rather than the ages, but Sofia Coppola’s heist movie is visually arresting, well acted, capricious fun.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Jun 21, 2013
    The studied impassivity of The Bling Ring feels increasingly like a dodge as the movie progresses; we sense an anger and a moralism that the director’s too cool or too wary or too close to engage.