7.3

1. Jan 1, 2013
    A rather original action film that is helped along the way with the interesting plot and solid acting by the cast. It's one of few modern day action films that is actually good.
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    The ultimate start to one of the best action movie trilogies, the Bourne Identity satisfies your action cravings, and gives you a dose of life on the run in foreign countries, something the majority of movies don't cover.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    "The Bourne Identity" is a 2002 film directed by Doug Limon and starring Matt Damon. The film follows the story of Jason Bourne (Damon), an amnesiac desperately attempting to discover more about his true identity while simultaneously embedding himself in a convoluted conspiracy involving the CIA. Now, when I had first heard "The Bourne Identity"'s fairly original and intriguing premise, I"The Bourne Identity" is a 2002 film directed by Doug Limon and starring Matt Damon. The film follows the story of Jason Bourne (Damon), an amnesiac desperately attempting to discover more about his true identity while simultaneously embedding himself in a convoluted conspiracy involving the CIA. Now, when I had first heard "The Bourne Identity"'s fairly original and intriguing premise, I was already expecting this movie to be great. Did it disappoint? No. No, it did not. This is one of those movie's that just cannot fail - it has a rock solid story crafted by one of the most intelligent authors of our time, a brilliant screenplay written by one of Hollywood's most sought after screenwriters, and an intensely entertaining lead performance. "The Bourne Identity" and it's sequels are often credited with setting the par for most spy thrillers of the past decade - Does it deserve that credit? I believe so, for I have seen a multitude of films with similar concepts that have come out since "The Bourne Identity"'s release. However, most, if not all, of the movies that have tried to replicate what The "Bourne" movie's have done, cannot reach the level of intrigue that each of the "Bourne" movies have reached - and they promptly fall flat in comparison. That being said, everything about this film, beit it's fighting sequences, it's car chase, or it's intense cinematography has made an impact on the spy thriller genre, and the modern film industry, as a whole. All in all, I felt that "The Bourne Identity" was an intensely entertaining thriller with a large amount of intelligence clearly woven it. Expand
  4. Sep 25, 2011
    "Bourne Identity" is a serious action movie that looks cool, but creating a game off of this might have been a better choice.
  5. Apr 2, 2013
    The Bourne Identity is a great action movie that kicked off a decent franchise. This movie is a lot of fun, mainly because it sees Jason Bourne discovering his own powers along with the audience. The film also features some strong performances and an unforgettable car chase. That said, it doesn't quite achieve the same heights as it's masterpiece sequel The Bourne Supremacy... But thenThe Bourne Identity is a great action movie that kicked off a decent franchise. This movie is a lot of fun, mainly because it sees Jason Bourne discovering his own powers along with the audience. The film also features some strong performances and an unforgettable car chase. That said, it doesn't quite achieve the same heights as it's masterpiece sequel The Bourne Supremacy... But then again, not many action movies do. Expand
  6. May 3, 2015
    The acting was really good and the story was interesting.The characters were different from all the other Hollywood big budget films.The only thing The Bourne Identity had that I didn't like,was that the movie was too long.
  7. Nov 12, 2013
    A brilliant novel forged into an equally mesmerizing film.
    The Bourne Identity cruises with ease as Matt Damon plays a humble but skilled agent in search of his own name.
  8. Sep 22, 2010
    Unconscious man gets rescued in the sea by fishing boat, amnesia, has "special" skills, someone trying to kill him, befriends German girl, tries to find out what's going on & who he is.
    Sharp action-thriller which has its fair share of twists and turns and outright action with some great fight choreography.
    Strong cast helps it & Maaaaatttt Daaaammmon is very believable as Jason Bourne. Good turn too from Franka Potente, Chris Cooper & Clive Owen as the deadly sniper.
  9. Jan 16, 2012
    A good action flick with an interesting story but it never really captures you in the way it should have but its good enough to make you wanna see the sequel. Matt Damon was a solid lead and the rest of the cast was good as well. I enjoyed it.
  10. Nov 9, 2014
    Compelling and exciting, The Bourne Identity follows a sturdy plot with great characters and a swiftly paced thrill ride. It also has the perfect amount of suspense and a big scope to cement it as a success.
  11. Jul 22, 2013
    Found floating in the Atlantic Ocean Jason Bourne awakes to find he has no memory of who he is.

Unfortunately Bourne has enemies and they certainly know who he is. The hero with Amnesia story is not exactly original but The Bourne Identity tells a more interesting story than most as Bourne fights to find out why everyone seems to want him dead. The movie whips along at a cracking pace featuring all manner of exciting fight scenes and car chases meaning the two hours will fly by.
  12. Dec 14, 2013
  13. Jan 23, 2013
    Starts the series of with a huge bang. The Bourne Identity is not only action packed and tense, but also features a very, very smart script. This one's not just for the action junkies.
  14. Aug 25, 2012
    This film defines what makes a great action thriller. The pacing is perfect, with no fillers but just under 2 hours of epicness. The balance between action and story, suspense and cinematic scenes is perfect. The story is very easy to follow, it's direct, intriguing and filled with great voice acting from Matt Damon and almost perfect direction. There's not a single moment in this filmThis film defines what makes a great action thriller. The pacing is perfect, with no fillers but just under 2 hours of epicness. The balance between action and story, suspense and cinematic scenes is perfect. The story is very easy to follow, it's direct, intriguing and filled with great voice acting from Matt Damon and almost perfect direction. There's not a single moment in this film where you are not immersed. You don't want to take your eyes off it, whereas a lot of action films tend to go for all-out explosions and miss out on the story. You can switch on and comeback to it later and still enjoy, like the Transporter films, but this one is so gripping and almost perfect in every way. All it's really missing is a bit more action and scenes to go in between - basically a tiny bit longer. On the whole it's a must watch. Expand
  15. Jun 9, 2012
    The Bourne Identity makes for a fantastic thriller, with the pivotal positive element of the film being that Jason Bourne doesn't care for violence: he only uses it when provoked.
  16. Apr 1, 2012
    This is a 9 out of 10 movie. Acting pretty good. Matt Damon is really good at Jason Bourne. Action is pretty great. Which leads to the great story. It's really good. Score is good to. Overall, this is a great start to a great series of Jason Bourne movies. You should watch it.
  17. CRL
    Jul 26, 2011
    First, this is not an adaptation the Robert Ludlum novel that it's supposedly based on. It's a completely original, standalone work, with the only similarity being the central character, while everything else built around him from scratch by the director and screenwriter. And as that standalone work it's an excellent action thriller that delivers on every front.
  18. Aug 6, 2012
    A cool action movie with some boring scenes and it looks even better than The Fugitive. This is the movie that starts the long spy series of Jason Bourne.
  19. Aug 12, 2012
    [1/4 The Bourne Legacy Marathon]

The Bourne Identity [2002] - 3.5/5
    A solid action film, with some well-made action setpieces and fight choreography.
  20. Apr 19, 2012
    Though it's not quite the incredible film critics were making it out to be, The Bourne Identity manages to entertain the whole way through, and it's hard to imagine someone being bored during the film. A body of a man is found floating in the ocean. This man has no idea who he is, who he was, or anything about his past. His ability to speak many different languages and provide detailedThough it's not quite the incredible film critics were making it out to be, The Bourne Identity manages to entertain the whole way through, and it's hard to imagine someone being bored during the film. A body of a man is found floating in the ocean. This man has no idea who he is, who he was, or anything about his past. His ability to speak many different languages and provide detailed summaries about surroundings and people by just glancing at them suggests he was part of something big. Turns out, his name is Jason Bourne. And he's an assassin, and a good one. But now, he's on the run with the girl, in order to figure out more about his past, and not die. As I watched the film, I was constantly reminded of another action film I saw recently: The Fugitive. The Fugitive was a 90's film with Harrison Ford, who plays a man named Richard Kimble, falsely charged with the murder of his beloved wife. He escapes prison, and is on the lam. There are many reasons why The Fugitive is better than The Bourne Identity. For one, The Fugitive is more emotionally involving. We care about Dr. Kimble, and we feel his loss. The Bourne Identity offers no reason for us to care about any of the characters, so it's hard to root for either side. Also, The Fugitive is much more frantic. Dr. Kimble's race from the cops never really stops until the very end. Jason Bourne stops every so often, as if to take a breather from the action. We don't feel the thrill with The Bourne Identity, like we did with The Fugitive (and the generic chase scenes don't help). The film lacks smarts as well. The Fugitive was a nice little mystery alongside an action movie, but The Bourne Identity requires little thinking. We learn Jason Bourne's main role within half an hour. But The Bourne Identity isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be. There's lots of action. Maybe even more so than The Fugitive. There's gun fights, and fist fights. There's some exciting (and somewhat unrealistic) escape scenes as well. The film also benefits from a solid cast. Never for a minute will you question a lack of quality in the performances. Matt Damon provides a frustrated man who lost his memory. Franka Potente acts convincingly as an even more confused and worried Marie Kreutz, who wants nothing more then to get out of this mess. The rest of the cast is equally strong. I usually don't comment about the score in action films because they're usually very run-of-the-mill. This one was a little bit better than that, but the over-powering drums keep me from praising it too much. The main flaw with The Bourne Identity, however, was it's lack of a final fight. No cinematic duel to the death. In The Fugitive, we had a manic fight/hide-and-seek/out wit game going, that was heart-pounding. We get no such thing in The Bourne Identity, which surprised me, considering the fact that this was in fact, a movie about action. The Bourne Identity is perfect for teenage boys. It's fun, it's got some good action scenes, and a strong cast. It entertains from start to finish. It does suffer from problems though, such as a lack of thrill, no cinematic duel, and no need to think. But in the end, good outweighs the bad, and I'm ready for the sequel. Expand
  21. Sep 7, 2011
    From start to finish, this is a great movie. It's got just the right amount of suspense, just the right amount of action, just the right amount of character development. I don't have a single complaint about this movie.
  22. Aug 17, 2013
    The Bourne Idenity is a solid action flick that had a good plot. The movie started strong but towards the end I didn't know what Damon's character goal was. He wanted answers but he didn't really know what he was looking for in which turned to me not knowing what to look for.
  23. Jan 4, 2015
    From the beginning of the movie to the end of it I always felt suspense. From the 3 movies following it the story continues although the story is kind of confusing if you don't understand it from the beginning, or don't have someone to properly explain it.
  24. Oct 6, 2011
    Oh my god. Love it. Espesiall since it is Taylor Lautners favorite movie. I heart Taylor Lautner. Must watch again. Gotta go because I am going to watch the movie again. Thankyou for reading my review. Goodbye.
  25. Aug 21, 2012
    I will give it a 6 out of 10 because I found it too slow paced for an action movie, the first third of the movie was very entertaining but then after that it started to get tiring.
  26. Apr 15, 2013
    Awesome movie for James Bond fans! It is better for younger audiences in terms of suggestive content, but still pretty violent. Good story, characters, and stunts, not really a downside I could find, but it's still not the best movie I've seen. Still a good 9 out of 10!
  27. Jul 31, 2012
    This movie is a near perfect espionage thriller. It delivers on every side: the story is strong, perhaps shallow at first glance but efficient the way it is told; the actors are truly great, Damon acts exactly the way it should be and Potente is particularly honest in her performance.
  28. Oct 12, 2013
    The Bourne Identity is the beginning of one of the best trilogies in recent memory and perhaps even of all time. This movie is really something special.
  29. AussieMovieFan
    Oct 6, 2002
    The best movie I have ever seen.
  30. NicoleV.
    Jun 24, 2002
    Well-paced action - fun for those who pay attention - confusing for those who are more interested in what they're wearing and how they can "steal that look". A long deserved kudos to Doug Liman & Matt Damon on their graduation into the big time action flick.
  31. JennyD.
    Mar 5, 2003
    One of the best movies that Matt Damon has ever done. Thrilling and fun! If you like adventure movies get this one!
  32. craiga.
    Aug 23, 2005
    Gahhh! Can't resist! MUST... WATCH... AGAIN...
  33. Jason
    May 26, 2008
    Can't believe this has weakest rating out of trilogy. Wonderful movie with scenes to remember. Two other ones are just too fast and without decent plot. Nice work, one of my favorites
  34. PaulJ
    May 4, 2009
    This movie was intense and at the same time, made you think. I loved it!
  35. SumG.
    Oct 9, 2002
    Pacy and well-done but not enough suspense. Great soundtrack.
  36. MatthewS.
    Jun 16, 2002
    A solid action-suspense package that gets the job done. The movie proceeds in a precision fashion that keeps you entertained while managing not to insult your intelligence. All in all, The Bourne Identity is a refreshing departure from the typical largesse of big-budget action films.
  37. Jane
    Jun 16, 2002
    Smart, action-packed, but character driven piece with fine acting and chase scenes. Some minor plot holes, but a fun and exhilarating ride thoroughly worth the $8.50. Matt Damon is believable and capable as Jason Bourne, handling the guns, fights and script with expertise and style. Franka Potente is a fine female lead. The Bourne Identity is much better than your typical action thriller, Smart, action-packed, but character driven piece with fine acting and chase scenes. Some minor plot holes, but a fun and exhilarating ride thoroughly worth the $8.50. Matt Damon is believable and capable as Jason Bourne, handling the guns, fights and script with expertise and style. Franka Potente is a fine female lead. The Bourne Identity is much better than your typical action thriller, thank god. Expand
  38. WilliamB.
    Jun 18, 2002
    Too much violence and not enough character development. Suspenseful but yet lacking the knockout punch. If you have time on your hands, its just okay.
  39. BrendanB.
    Jun 20, 2002
    I liked it because there was really no point where I looked at my watch. I was entertained throughout the whole movie.
  40. JackM.
    Jun 21, 2002
    Good action/suspense all around. Followed the usual spy-thriller formula though. The fighting scenes were dissapointing though. They do all these quick, zoomed in shots where you can't tell what's happening. But that's my only complaint. Go see it.
  41. SteveM.
    Jun 26, 2002
    Good flick. Damon seems to keep "moving on up" while his best bud, Affleck seems to continue to stumble. Releasing the movies at roughly the same time, probably only compounds the comparison, but unlike "Sum", BI delivers...well...and believably. Perhaps the only criticism I had, was the notion that I would have liked to see the director keep the identity of Jason from the audience Good flick. Damon seems to keep "moving on up" while his best bud, Affleck seems to continue to stumble. Releasing the movies at roughly the same time, probably only compounds the comparison, but unlike "Sum", BI delivers...well...and believably. Perhaps the only criticism I had, was the notion that I would have liked to see the director keep the identity of Jason from the audience unknown deeper into the movie. It may have increased the suspense. It just seemed like it was given up a little too soon. That small criticism aside, if you need an action fix, grab the car keys, and head to the theater. Expand
  42. AladdinS.
    Jul 14, 2002
    I saw it today and quite enjoyed it. It was entertaining all the way through.
  43. MichaelD.
    Jul 3, 2002
    Story is exciting, realistic, and in fact honest at times. Action is suspenseful. However, be ready for a lot of hollywood coincidence and convenient inconsistency.
  44. RyanM.
    Jul 3, 2002
    It slogs through a story that's never interesting, never original, and definitely never attaching.
  45. ChadS.
    Jul 3, 2002
    Given the choice of watching Ben Affleck save America or Matt Damon kicking ass, I say go for the latter. He's sort of wrong for the part but that's what makes the fight scenes so much fun. If "The Bourne Identity" came out in the late-eighties, and the producers wanted to cast an unlikely action star, Michael J. Fox would have gotten the nod. Damon is at his best when acting Given the choice of watching Ben Affleck save America or Matt Damon kicking ass, I say go for the latter. He's sort of wrong for the part but that's what makes the fight scenes so much fun. If "The Bourne Identity" came out in the late-eighties, and the producers wanted to cast an unlikely action star, Michael J. Fox would have gotten the nod. Damon is at his best when acting with Franka Potente. Because he is one. And she is a great one. Expand
  46. PhilW.
    Jul 5, 2002
    A well done film, and Matt Damon has sure picked his roles better than Ben Affleck. But this movie is "Three Days of the Condor" with Matt Damon as Robert Redford and Franka Potente as Faye Dunaway. Chris Cooper is putting together a strng of good performances to take over the type of roles that would have gone to JT Walsh.
  47. BrianP.
    Aug 8, 2002
    What really impressed me about this movie was Matt Damon. I've always thought of him as a wimpy, all-american kid, thinking he couldn't carry an action movie. He proved me wrong. Damon's acting skill really carried this movie. I wish Liman would have explored the motivations of Cris Cooper's character, but was pleased with the plot overall. The action sequences were What really impressed me about this movie was Matt Damon. I've always thought of him as a wimpy, all-american kid, thinking he couldn't carry an action movie. He proved me wrong. Damon's acting skill really carried this movie. I wish Liman would have explored the motivations of Cris Cooper's character, but was pleased with the plot overall. The action sequences were convincing, the dialogue not all-together alien, and the plot realistic, for those who know anything about the CIA's doings in Africa (read "In Search of Enemies" by John Stockwell). In the end, I give the film a B+. Expand
  48. LeciaG.
    Sep 19, 2002
    YAY!! The best movie in the world along with Moulin Rouge and Lord of the Rings. Matt Damon is the BEST and Franka's got the coolest hair!!! Even tho it didn't follow the book to the letter it's definitely the best movie - in fact if you don't see it you'll be condemned to HELL!! mmkay... maybe not that.....JUST GO AND SEE IT!!!!! If you don't you'll be YAY!! The best movie in the world along with Moulin Rouge and Lord of the Rings. Matt Damon is the BEST and Franka's got the coolest hair!!! Even tho it didn't follow the book to the letter it's definitely the best movie - in fact if you don't see it you'll be condemned to HELL!! mmkay... maybe not that.....JUST GO AND SEE IT!!!!! If you don't you'll be missing one of the best movies of the year!!! Expand
  49. Blackcat
    Sep 4, 2002
    I really enjoyed this movie - in fact, I saw it more than once. It was nice to watch a spy thriller that didn't rely on fancy special effects a la James Bond and instead focused on the characters, intelligence and logic. Hoping very much for a sequel!
  50. WillD.
    Jan 5, 2003
    Dude, remember that Spielberg/ Tom Cruise flick that came out at the same time as this one? Minority Report? Why do reviewers kiss so much butt, anyway? That movie was not very good, but it got great reviews. This movie rocked, and didn't get very good reviews. Weird. Kind of like... oh, let's see here... EQUILIBRIUM which was the best release of 2002, and... Ballistic: Ecks Dude, remember that Spielberg/ Tom Cruise flick that came out at the same time as this one? Minority Report? Why do reviewers kiss so much butt, anyway? That movie was not very good, but it got great reviews. This movie rocked, and didn't get very good reviews. Weird. Kind of like... oh, let's see here... EQUILIBRIUM which was the best release of 2002, and... Ballistic: Ecks v.s. Sever which rocked, and... the Ring, which was the coolest horror flick to hit the screen in forever. Critics are strange that way, though. Expand
  51. DenisSaint-Maurice
    Feb 11, 2003
    Great story, well put together.
  52. JoannaS.
    Mar 6, 2003
    This movie was a delight to watch. The action was very believable and interesting, not like the spectacle crap movie making in James Bond. All of it made sense, nothing seemed to be exagerated. It was just very well put together with the right director focusing on characters rather than explosions.
  53. PaulD.
    Apr 4, 2003
    Terrific pacing, well-directed action scenes and an excellent performance by Potente makes this one of the better examples of this genre.
  54. MarkJ.
    Aug 4, 2003
    A good movie without the typical exaggerate blockbuster action scenes. don't listen to ryan it's not a mess there is a credible script.
  55. RickG.
    Jan 22, 2004
    I'm not much of a fan of spy movies, but I really enjoyed this one. When this was out in theaters I wasn't very excited about it. I finally watched it on DVD and really liked it. I never thought Matt Damon could make a convincing action hero, but I was wrong. I guess what I like most about it is that our main characters, Jason and Maria, just don't like the usual airbrushed I'm not much of a fan of spy movies, but I really enjoyed this one. When this was out in theaters I wasn't very excited about it. I finally watched it on DVD and really liked it. I never thought Matt Damon could make a convincing action hero, but I was wrong. I guess what I like most about it is that our main characters, Jason and Maria, just don't like the usual airbrushed actors we find in a typical spy thriller. They aren't trying to save the world from an evil villain and they don't run around in ridiculous cars and planes equipped with equally ridiculous technical gadgetry. While watching this I thought I recognized the actress playing Maria (Franka Potente) and, sure enough, she played Lola in the low-budget German flick Run, Lola, Run. If I was going to run around Europe with dangerous people chasing me, I would definitely want to do it with her. Glad to see that there is sequel, The Bourne Supremacy, for this planned to be released later this year. Expand
  56. GeorgeL.
    Jul 5, 2004
    Full of suspence...loved every bit of it.
  57. MikeH.
    Dec 21, 2002
    This just may be the best movie I've ever seen, it's certainly the best action movie I've ever seen, and I've seen an awful lot. I can't think of another movie that would get a 10 with the possible exceptions of Jaws, The Natural and Forrest Gump for their style and pure quality. Matt Damon obviously prepared hard for this film, and it showed in his fight This just may be the best movie I've ever seen, it's certainly the best action movie I've ever seen, and I've seen an awful lot. I can't think of another movie that would get a 10 with the possible exceptions of Jaws, The Natural and Forrest Gump for their style and pure quality. Matt Damon obviously prepared hard for this film, and it showed in his fight sequences, I even liked the obligatory girlfriend, she was cute and believable, could you imagine a joke like Sandra Bullock playing her part, I couldn't. So, The Bourne Identity makes it to the rarified atmosphere of my A+ list. It really is the best you know. Mike. Expand
  58. PaulaW.
    Jun 15, 2002
    A fine thriller with style to burn, that doesn't insult the audience. Matt Damon is no Stallone - his Anyman quality is exactly what makes him great as a covert operative. Franka Potente as always is a force of nature. Good performances from Clive Owen and Chris Cooper as well. Very nice chase scene in the car of the moment, the Mini Cooper. You couldn't ask for a better way to A fine thriller with style to burn, that doesn't insult the audience. Matt Damon is no Stallone - his Anyman quality is exactly what makes him great as a covert operative. Franka Potente as always is a force of nature. Good performances from Clive Owen and Chris Cooper as well. Very nice chase scene in the car of the moment, the Mini Cooper. You couldn't ask for a better way to spend a hot summer afternoon, and you don't even have to check your brain at the door. Expand
  59. BlancoA.
    Jun 16, 2002
    Very average movie. Franka Potente is excellent, though. So glad they didn't cast an American actress for the role....
  60. MichaelF.
    Jun 17, 2002
    It's a pretty nifty little thriller. The action could've been, and should've been much better. It was also kind of boring at times. Damon and Potente were very good. Fine script for an action/thriller. Sharp direction by Doug Liman. Nice cinematography. It's a shame that Clive Owen didn't do much more than he did. The action scenes were my main complaint, they It's a pretty nifty little thriller. The action could've been, and should've been much better. It was also kind of boring at times. Damon and Potente were very good. Fine script for an action/thriller. Sharp direction by Doug Liman. Nice cinematography. It's a shame that Clive Owen didn't do much more than he did. The action scenes were my main complaint, they needed to be better, with action films like THE MATRIX and THE KILLER and HARD BOILED around, I'd expect more than some cool martial arts moves and a reletively cool climax. Expand
  61. JoshuaW.
    Jun 20, 2002
    It's an average suspense flick, minus the suspense. I would like to have seen more from Franka Potente and less of the bad guys figuring out what to do next. I could also have done without the no-brainer ending. Instead of seeing this movie, just play Metal Gear Solid.
  62. BrazilGarcia
    Jun 23, 2002
    Very entertaining movie. Fine acting by both Damon and Potente. A lot better than I thought it would be.
  63. JackD.
    Jun 30, 2002
    When compared to other current action films like The Sum of All Fears and Minority Report, this one comes out on top. It is well paced with non-stop action...and Damon is so much better than his friend Affleck...
  64. AllseeingI
    Jul 21, 2002
    A fun action movie. Of course a no brainer. Boy gets saved. Boy runs. Boy finds girl...Boy runs with girl.....you fill in the rest. Damon was a good casting pick for Jason Bourne, but what were they thinking when they cast Julia Stiles and Clive Owen???
  65. DerekG.
    Jul 22, 2002
    This was the best damn movie of the year.. Well done and just kept you on the edge of you seat the whole time.. Great film
  66. DrewC.
    Jul 25, 2002
    Pretty good movie - definitely kept me watching. Wasn't a big fan of the supporting cast but I thought Matt Damon did a great job. Definitely worth a watch.
    Aug 6, 2002
    I've been waiting for a movie like this. A plot that can't be beat, plenty of action, and great acting. Something seemed slightly off though. The movie was not perfect, but I left the theater very glad I went to see it.
  68. TanHoeP.
    Sep 18, 2002
    Brilliant! Superbly cast with the intense plot, The Bourne Identity is certainly one of the best movies of the year!
  69. BrunoM.
    Oct 18, 2003
    This is easilly the best spy action movie I ever seen.
  70. TedA.
    Feb 8, 2003
    Very enjoyable movie. Decent acting and a rather interseting well paced story. Of course at times you must suspend your intellect to accept parts of the plot and assupmtions about amnesia and spy work. But I still really liked it.
  71. PatC.
    Jan 12, 2004
    Competent disposable filmmaking. Raises a fatal question for formula characters: What good is it to remember who you are if you were nobody to begin with?
  72. DanC.
    Oct 28, 2005
    An incredibly satisfying thriller because it's so smartly done - all the usual action movie cliches are absent, and thank goodness. Damon is very good. Franka Potente is outstanding. One of my favorites of recent years. It deserves more credit for its intelligence and sheer entertainment value.
  73. ErwinK.
    Feb 8, 2005
    Supremely overrated.
  74. Riren
    Mar 19, 2007
    As far as action movies go, The Bourne Identity has a charm like few others. Its world is simply more real. The people look closer to average, vehicles are worn down, and the clothing isn't gawdy or fashionable. Another movie would have slick cars and immaculately groomed cast members who would be CG'd through their fight scenes. Here, so much of what you see feels genuine that As far as action movies go, The Bourne Identity has a charm like few others. Its world is simply more real. The people look closer to average, vehicles are worn down, and the clothing isn't gawdy or fashionable. Another movie would have slick cars and immaculately groomed cast members who would be CG'd through their fight scenes. Here, so much of what you see feels genuine that it's easier to fall into, and easier to like the characters, for what they are. Damon in fits particularly well into the role of amnesiac assassin Jason Bourne. Once the action kicks in it doesn't try to reach the bar that The Matrix or X-Men set, but rather follows a more realistic, but still entertaining kind of action. And because it's unafraid to be what it is, it's its own kind of cool. If you have this is one hand and another action flick in the other, do yourself a favor and pick this. Expand
  75. ZiggyStardust
    Nov 13, 2002
    Above average, and certainly worth watching.
  76. IverspoonQFMakeMyDay
    Nov 16, 2002
    Not bad. Not bad at all. Katch it if you can...but pref on rental video.
  77. SteveD.
    Dec 6, 2002
    Very solid action flick. Damon was good, but I don't think Potente gets enough credit for her performance here. The fact she wasn't just your typical action love interest is one of the main reasons the movie worked.
  78. MattInL.A.
    Jun 14, 2002
    Sharp, relatively smart flick. I suppose there's no room for character development in a film where the main guy has no idea who he is.
  79. DonD.
    Jun 15, 2002
    Incredible action - Damon must have had quite a double. The plot unfolds slowly but the action is non stop. The chase scene was better than Bullitt.
  80. BrianC.
    Jun 15, 2002
    Having just read the book I was very dissapointed. The action was OK but all the important tension from the main character's not knowing who he is and who he suspects he is is missing completely
  81. RobertH.
    Jun 15, 2002
    Suspenseful flick about a CIA assassin with amnesia who fails to carry out his mission. Matt Damon stumbles though the rest of the movie in Paris trying to discover who he actually is without himself being killed by the CIA. Nice car chase scene as was done years ago in The French Connection. The movie plods along to its predictable ending. Too bad there is never any time between the gore Suspenseful flick about a CIA assassin with amnesia who fails to carry out his mission. Matt Damon stumbles though the rest of the movie in Paris trying to discover who he actually is without himself being killed by the CIA. Nice car chase scene as was done years ago in The French Connection. The movie plods along to its predictable ending. Too bad there is never any time between the gore to develop the main characters. The movie left me wanting more of an explanation. Matt is certainly not the next Arnie S. as an action hero. Expand
  82. MarielG.
    Jun 16, 2002
    A great action film! I don't see why everyone on here is complaning about the lack of character development; I thought the movie was awesome.
  83. SaraV.
    I loved it!
  84. SueA.
    Jun 17, 2002
    IT ROCKS!!! The fighting moves are great and so is the whole dang plot!
  85. MikeM.
    Jun 19, 2002
    Ben Afflack could soon have an identity crisis as his friend, Matt Damon, is making better movies than he. The action is great but there could have been more work on Matt figuring out that he is a CIA agent, though it may have slowed down the movie, and thus may have hit the cutting room floor. Franka Potente's performance is memorable and I hope to see more of her soon. I have not Ben Afflack could soon have an identity crisis as his friend, Matt Damon, is making better movies than he. The action is great but there could have been more work on Matt figuring out that he is a CIA agent, though it may have slowed down the movie, and thus may have hit the cutting room floor. Franka Potente's performance is memorable and I hope to see more of her soon. I have not seen the French Connection so I have no point of reference for that car chase but it kept me glued to my seat. As Damon showed in 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' he can play a smart character who might know too much for his own good. The Bourne Identity is definitely a great flick and should not dissapoint any Matt Damon fan. Expand
  86. K.Kolesnik
    Jun 21, 2002
    Matt Damon is my favorite actor, however, this movie did not keep my attention. Not only did Mr. Bourne not know what was going on, but neither did we! Where's the plot?!? I even left about 5 minutes early; Avoiding the crowd on the way out was more important!
  87. M.H.K.
    Jul 25, 2002
    It's a great movie but not that great. It looks like another hollywood mass-production movie. As a fan of Ludlum, it's nice to see a film like this. It's enjoying. I hope they add european ingenuity in the future, not just the locations.
  88. BippityBobbity
    Dec 1, 2003
    One of my favorite action movies of all time--smart, sly and thrilling. Matt Damon is a surprisingly marvelous bad boy.
  89. Trevor"thestadilac"M.
    Feb 27, 2003
    Really enjoyed this flick, kept me on the edge of my seat...matt damon is a perfect ex-cia assasin. definitely rent this one...then buy it and then get a poster and put it on the ceiling above your bed so that everynight you can see matt damon and remember his greatness.
  90. YoonC.
    Sep 14, 2003
    Superior spy thriller, mostly action and thrills but not without moments of suppressed suspense and taut paranoid rage. Centerpiece of the movie is a nifty car chase that zooms thru traffic and alleyways with the cool elegance of jazz. It may be first musical with autos.
  91. AmandaP.
    Nov 3, 2004
    I really enjoyed this movie. i think Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) is stunnin'.
  92. CharlesV.
    Jul 29, 2004
    I read the book last week and wasn't really surprised the the plot was not followed at all, different continent, plot line, marie and conklin dead. About the onmly thing that was the same was Jason.
  93. FredB.
    Oct 15, 2006
    I loved this movie. It had lots of action and suspense. I think Matt Damon did a great job bringing Jason Bourne to life. I can't wait till the third one.
  94. ClintT.
    Mar 11, 2008
    This is the first and strongest of the Bourne trilogy, based on the novels by Robert Ludlum. It deviates greatly from the books but is no less of a film for that. It

The Bourne Identity keeps you in a state of nervous excitation from the opening shot to the fade-out and has a thread of deadpan humor that vibrates alongside the main action like a third rail quivering next to a hurtling train.
    The full-throttle approach of director Doug Liman (Swingers, Go) is impressive.
  3. It has a few whispers of intrigue, but at the heart of The Bourne Identity lies a dispiriting paradox: The more that Jason Bourne learns about himself, the less arresting he seems.